home
RSS
My Take: If you hear God speak audibly, you (usually) aren’t crazy
A woman prays in church. Many Christians say they can audibly hear the voice of God.
December 29th, 2012

My Take: If you hear God speak audibly, you (usually) aren’t crazy

Editor's Note: Tanya Marie (“T.M.”) Luhrmann is a psychological anthropologist and the Watkins University professor in the department of anthropology at Stanford University in Stanford, California. She is the author of "When God Talks Back: Understanding the American Evangelical Relationship with God."

By T.M. Luhrmann, Special to CNN

(CNN)—In the Bible, God spoke directly to Abraham. He spoke directly to Moses. He spoke directly to Job. But to your neighbor down the street?

Most people reading the ancient scriptures understand these accounts of hearing God’s voice as miracles that really did happen but no longer take place today, or maybe as folkloric flourishes to ancient stories. Even Christians who believe that miracles can be an everyday affair can hesitate when someone tells them they heard God speak audibly. There’s an old joke: When you talk to God, we call it prayer, but when God talks to you, we call it schizophrenia.

Except that usually it’s not.

Hearing a voice when alone, or seeing something no one else can see, is pretty common. At least one in 10 people will say they’ve had such an experience if you ask them bluntly. About four in 10 say they have unusual perceptual experiences between sleep and awareness if you interview them about their sleeping habits.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

And if you ask them in a way that allows them to admit they made a mistake, the rate climbs even higher. By contrast, schizophrenia, the most debilitating of all mental disorders, is pretty rare. Only about one in 100 people can be diagnosed with the disorder.

Moreover, the patterns are quite distinct. People with schizophrenia who hear voices hear them frequently. They often hear them throughout the day, sometimes like a rain of sound, or a relentless hammer. They hear not only sentences, but paragraphs: words upon words upon words. What the voices say is horrid—insults, sneers and contemptuous jibes. “Dirty. You’re dirty.” “Stupid slut.” “You should’ve gone under the bus, not into it.”

That was not what Abraham, Moses and Job experienced, even when God was at his most fierce.

For the last 10 years, I have been doing anthropological and psychological research among experientially oriented evangelicals, the sort of people who seek a personal relationship with God and who expect that God will talk back. For most of them, most of the time, God talks back in a quiet voice they hear inside their minds, or through images that come to mind during prayer. But many of them also reported sensory experiences of God. They say God touched their shoulder, or that he spoke up from the back seat and said, in a way they heard with their ears, that he loved them. Indeed, in 1999, Gallup reported that 23% of all Americans had heard a voice or seen a vision in response to prayer.

These experiences were brief: at the most, a few words or short sentences. They were rare. Those who reported them reported no more than a few of them, if that. These experiences were not distressing, although they were often disconcerting and always startling. On the contrary, these experiences often made people feel more intimate with God, and more deeply loved.

In fact, my research has found that these unusual sensory experiences are more common among those who pray in a way that uses the imagination—for example, when prayer involves talking to God in your mind. The unusual sensory experiences were not, in general, associated with mental illness (we checked).

They were more common among those who felt comfortable getting caught up in their imaginations. They were also more common among those who prayed for longer periods. Prayer involves paying attention to words and images in the mind, and giving them significance. There is something about the skilled practice of paying attention to the mind in this way that shifts—just a little bit—the way we judge what is real.

Yet even many of these Christians, who wanted so badly to have a back-and-forth relationship with God, were a little hesitant to talk about hearing God speak with their ears. For all the biblical examples of hearing God speak audibly, they doubt. Augustine reports that when he was in extremis, sobbing at the foot of that fig tree, he heard a voice say, “Take it and read.” He picked up the scripture and converted. When the Christians I know heard God speak audibly, it often flitted across their minds that they were crazy.

In his new book, "Hallucinations," the noted neurologist Oliver Sacks tells his own story about a hallucinatory experience that changed his life. He took a hearty dose of methamphetamines as a young doctor, and settled down with a 19th century book on migraines. He loved the book, with its detailed observation and its humanity. He wanted more. As he was casting around in his mind for someone who could write more that he could read, a loud internal voice told him “You silly bugger” that it was he. So he began to write. He never took drugs again.

Now, Sacks does not recommend that anyone take drugs like that. He thinks that what he did was dangerous and he thinks he was lucky to have survived.

What interests me, however, is that he allowed himself to trust the voice because the voice was good. There’s a distinction between voices associated with psychiatric illness (often bad) and those (often good) that are found in the so-called normal population. There’s another distinction between those who choose to listen to a voice, if the advice it gives is good, and those who do not. When people like Sacks hear a voice that gives them good advice, the experience can transform them.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

This is important, because often, when voices are discussed in the media or around the kitchen table, the voices are treated unequivocally as symptoms of madness. And of course, voice-hearing is associated with psychiatric illness.

But not all the time. In fact, not most of the time.

About a third of the people I interviewed carefully at the church where I did research reported an unusual sensory experience they associated with God. While they found these experiences startling, they also found them deeply reassuring.

Science cannot tell us whether God generated the voice that Abraham or Augustine heard. But it can tell us that many of these events are normal, part of the fabric of human perception. History tells us that those experiences enable people to choose paths they should choose, but for various reasons they hesitate to choose.

When the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. sat at his kitchen table, in the winter of 1956, terrified by the fear of what might happen to him and his family during the Montgomery bus boycott, he said he heard the voice of Jesus promising, “I will be with you.” He went forward.

Voices may form part of human suffering. They also may inspire human greatness.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of TM Luhrmann.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • God

soundoff (7,767 Responses)
  1. Lori

Faith is a choice–athiests lack it– that is there choice- those who believe make a choice to believe–they have their miracles and the non believers scowl because they have not–it is sad.

But I make this word of caution to all athiests, read Revelations

Revelations–burning Lake of Suplhur

19:20

20:10
    21:8

Revelations 9:11

Abaddon and Apollyon

Babylon is Iraq

Did the sea give up its dead during the two tsunami's???????????/

Revelations 20:13

Denial is not a River in Egypt– be wise at least do that and believe that these prophets knew the future!

December 31, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
    • Maximus

Using your holy text as the basis for any argument will be totally unpersuasive to anyone who is not of your faith–you understand that, right?

December 31, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Lori

LOL Yes the bible is full of crazy rantings from people who were probably on drugs. Thanks for pointing that out.

December 31, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • w murderface

With all of these contradictions how can you still believe
      1. God is satisfied with his works
      Gen 1:31
      God is dissatisfied with his works.
      Gen 6:6
      2. God dwells in chosen temples
      2 Chron 7:12,16
      God dwells not in temples
      Acts 7:48
      3. God dwells in light
      Tim 6:16
      God dwells in darkness
      1 Kings 8:12/ Ps 18:11/ Ps 97:2
      4. God is seen and heard
      Ex 33:23/ Ex 33:11/ Gen 3:9,10/ Gen 32:30/ Is 6:1/
      Ex 24:9-11
      God is invisible and cannot be heard
      John 1:18/ John 5:37/ Ex 33:20/ 1 Tim 6:16
      5. God is tired and rests
      Ex 31:17
      God is never tired and never rests
      Is 40:28
      6. God is everywhere present, sees and knows all things
      Prov 15:3/ Ps 139:7-10/ Job 34:22,21
      God is not everywhere present, neither sees nor knows all
      things
      Gen 11:5/ Gen 18:20,21/ Gen 3:8
      7. God knows the hearts of men
      Acts 1:24/ Ps 139:2,3
      God tries men to find out what is in their heart
      Deut 13:3/ Deut 8:2/ Gen 22:12
      8. God is all powerful
      Jer 32:27/ Matt 19:26
      God is not all powerful
      Judg 1:19

December 31, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
    • Thoth

Can you provide evidence to support even one claim of a miracle?

December 31, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
    • hal 9001

"Lori" – before I can correctly give a truth value to your post, I need to be aware of precisely the references you have made.

First, "Lori", what's an athiest?

Secondly, "Lori", what does "Revelations" refer to? Is it a website?

December 31, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
    • The Truth

Ive read Revelation, as well as Dantes inferno and Lord of the Rings and Dune Messiah along with thousands of other fictional tales of the coming destruction and every one of them has different things you must do to survive the end. Your book is no more valid than worrying about Dantes descriptions of heII which are about as true as a Dr. Seuss book. Your faith is empty and you have been found wanting Lori.

December 31, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
    • I wonder

Lori,

1. Get the name of your dang book correct – it is "Revelation"... no 's'

2. 2 tsunamis? (note no apostrophe, btw). Do you have ANY idea how many tsunamis have occurred on Earth over the eons?

3. That book is simply an early effort at fantasy/horror/sci-fi... that you try to eke out real places, things and events from it is ludicrous.

December 31, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
    • lionlylamb

Lori,

Children of atheists have only their parents to blame for their upbringing while children of the "least" religious keep faith and hope ever lit! My parents never taught me about religious things. I learned them on my own accords and in my combining some religious scriptures to science theories, I have come to believe in ways hardy ever discussed or even realized by either science or religious orientated folks. The only essence that will ever remain is the Holy Spirit of God which is the absolute nothingness wherein outer space and inner space can only be stayed and connected within the many varying chasms of nothingness itself.

December 31, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
    • Saraswati

"Did the sea give up its dead during the two tsunami's???????????/

Did anyone ever believe that hundreds of thousands would die from such a thing???"

Anyone who didn't lacked high school level knowldge of geography, demographics and geology.

December 31, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • hal 9001

I'm sorry, "lionlylamb", but "Holy Spirit of God" is an element of mythology, therefore your assertions are unfounded. Using my Idiomatic Expression Equivalency module (IEE), the expression that best matches the degree to which your assertions may represent truths is: "TOTAL FAIL".

I see that you repeat these unfounded statements with high frequency. Perhaps the following book can help you:

I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do... Who You Can Turn to...

December 31, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
    • Honet Hush

Trying to put the FEAR of god into someone is a large fail. You are pathetic, believe or else. You can understand the complex idea of dieties, but can't figure out what the reply feature is for, ironic.

December 31, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
  2. Lori

Hi Hal, you were not on in the wee hours last night, but as I said then I have been healed twice by the miracles of God. I nearly died and bled to death delivering my daughter, it was God, not man who saved me.

I recently broke my ankle in two locations- the doctors said I would probably never walk again, it was a non-union fracture and the bones were far apart. I could not have surgery because of a heart condition. I spent 3 1/2 months in a wheelchair. I am now walking with the help of a boot.

there is no mythology in facts.

hal 9001
    I'm sorry, "Lori", but "God" is an element of mythology, therefore it cannot fail anyone, nor does it cause distress for those who correctly understand it as mythology. Using my Idiomatic Expression Equivalency module (IEE), the expression that best matches the degree to which your statements may represent truths is: "TOTAL FAIL".

I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do... Who You Can Turn to...

December 31, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |

December 31, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
    • Maximus

All you have provided is speculation. God could substantially support the case that he heals by demonstrating something truly miraculous such as regrowing a severed limb.

December 31, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
    • hal 9001

I'm sorry, "Lori", but "God" is an element of mythology, therefore you are incorrectly attributing powers to "it" in trying to explain events in the real world; events for which you currently have no reasonable explanation. Using my Idiomatic Expression Equivalency module (IEE), the expression that best matches the degree to which your assertions may represent truths is: "EPIC FAIL".

I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do... Who You Can Turn to...

December 31, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
    • I wonder

Lori,

Why don't you use the "Reply" feature on your posts? It's quite annoying to have your posts pop up out of nowhere.

December 31, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

@ Lori – "I recently broke my ankle in two locations"

Hey – here's some advice: stay out of those locations!

Thank you, thank you! I'm here 'til Thursday – tip your server and try the veal!

December 31, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
    • The Truth

" I nearly died and bled to death delivering my daughter, it was God, not man who saved me."

My city hockey league team has won 5 straight games and they think it was skill, but I know better for I was wearing my lucky socks that I havn't changed in 10 years... Obviously, to me at least, it was my socks who had triumphed...

December 31, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
    • Really-O?

@Lori –

By definition, if your fracture healed it cannot be called a "non-union fracture". What you had was a complete fracture that eventually healed. At fourteen, I suffered a traumatic, open, comminuted fracture which required four settings before it healed (I was fourteen prior to all complete fracture being treated surgically). When you assume that delayed healing is evidence of divine intervention, you simply ignore disconfirming evidence.

December 31, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • sybaris

Lori, the bias of the mind is to seek what it wants to confirm or what is of interest to the user at the time. Attributing your "miracles" to your god is simply your reticular activating system at work. It's a group of nerves in our brains whose job it is to filter information. Once something becomes of interest to us, the brain begins to notice that particular thing more than it did before. For instance, you never noticed a particular make/model of car until you purchased one. Now you see them everywhere. Christians feel like they see/feel their god everywhere because their brains have been trained to interpret and notice certain things as being from their god. This occurs with pract.itioners of every religion which detracts from any religion being able to claim that their god is the right one.

December 31, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • Jen

That's funny, I almost bled to death giving birth too. And without prayer (I'm agnostic), I was saved. How did that happen? Pretty sure (actually I'm positive) that I wouldn't be here without doctors.

Next time you are bleeding to death I dare you to pray rather than going to the hospital. Let me know how that goes.

December 31, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
  3. Hugo

If the Christian God exists, the anti-God bashers are wrong. (Note the if)

If the Christian God doesn't exist, these people are perceiving something. What it is then? Most likely their subconscious. Except in the case of people who are schizophrenic, being in touch with your own subconscious sounds like a very good thing. So, why the bashing?

December 31, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
    • JJ

One's subconcious doesn't speak audibly to you and if it does and you are not a religious zealot, on drugs or suffer from a mental illness then you should get a CAT scan and check for a brain tumor. One should be scoffed at if you are claiming the creator of the universe is speaking out loud to you. One should also be feared, especially if they have access to firearms.

December 31, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
    • LinCA

@Hugo

You said, "Either the Christian God exists or doesn't exist. This must be a true statement."
      True, but the odds aren't anywhere near even. the christian god is about as likely to exist as the Tooth Fairy. Even Santa Claus and Loch Ness Monster are far more likely, as there is at least some evidence to suggest they exist(ed).

You said, "If the Christian God exists, the anti-God bashers are wrong. (Note the if)"
      You assume that those that don't believe the fairy tale are god-bashers. It's impossible to bash something that doesn't exist.

Now if you really meant believer-bashers, you might have a point. But it isn't bashing. Not at first, anyway. It's a public service. It's a call to those that believe the obvious nonsense to evaluate those beliefs.

If you encounter an adult who professes a profound belief in the Tooth Fairy, but is otherwise a normally functioning person, would you not try to tell them they are mistaken?

December 31, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
  4. The Truth

Why do religious zealots insist on gilding the lily? Why do they demand that the universe be more amazing than it already is by claiming it must have an eternal all knowing all powerful "male" deity ruling it that we tiny insects of life should get to communicate with? It only makes sense from a scared little mouse perspective skittering around bowing to this and praying to that, anything to stave off the fear of death for that is the one burden of being self aware, it is also understanding that we are but mortals and, just like the stars themselves, must one day expend all our energies and die. Anyone who believes God talks to them is merely hearing the echo of their own self awareness. No more, no less, for it is still an important conversation to have with oneself. I recommend taking that journey but accepting it for what is it and not deifying your own ego out of fear and to stop being a little mouse and take responsibility for your own actions.

December 31, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
  5. Salero21

Now, I don't know why some of the fuzzyheaded atheists feel offended when I compare them with a troop of baboons or the monkeys in the barrel.

Did not atheists heard or read last year that some scientists "discovered" that monkeys and man share up to 96% of some DNA strands.

So..., what's the surprise in that? After all, apes, birds, fishes, rocks, stars, planets and whatever else have you, share with mankind the SAME AND ONLY ONE CREATOR. Mankind however, was put in charge to administer and manage, work and cultivate for one very simple reason. Man was the ONLY ONE in all of Creation that was Created after the image of God.

To try to reason with atheists is like trying to reason with the monkeys monkeying around with the barrel.

December 31, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
    • Dennis

Salero,. way to not understand DNA and evolution. Wow, you really are that stupid; no point in discussion with you. I'm just going to laugh at you. See ya.

December 31, 2012 at 1:19 pm |

"captain america" degenerates to:
      "just sayin" degenerates to:
      "nope" degenerates to:
      "WOW" degenerates to:
      "!"
      and many other names, but of course we all know this resident idiot as
      the disgruntled ex Evangelical Fortune Cookie Co. "writer".

December 31, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
    • Maximus

Salero21 – Have you ever seriously investigated any religion besides Christianity? My guess is that you haven't, just like almost all other believers in any religion.

December 31, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
    • hal 9001

I'm sorry, "Salero21", but "God" is an element of mythology, therefore all of your assertions are unfounded. Using my Idiomatic Expression Equivalency module (IEE), the expression that best matches the degree to which your assertions may represent truths is: "EPIC FAIL".

I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do... Who You Can Turn to...

December 31, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

Salerno, I'd rather be compared to, and throw my lot in with, a troop of baboons than a group of empty-headed believers.

December 31, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
    • w murderface

That would be 98% and that's been known for longer than just last year. Do try to get your facts straight before you try to "reason" with an atheist.

December 31, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
    • Salero21

OMG, OMG the GRAMMAR GESTAPO of the Internet, the Legal Enforcement Branch of the atheists is going to really get me this time. For I should have said that Jesus Certified [not certificate] with his appearance as a mere man, that in the beginning man was Created in the image of God. Unlike ALL of the other Created beings and things. That even though monkeys can share some strands of DNA up to 96%, they [the monkeys] are not in charge.

Atheists don't understand that! If a monkey could understand that, he would understand it before the atheists do.

December 31, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
    • The Truth

Now, I don't know why some of the fuzzyheaded theists feel offended when I compare them with a troupe of insane s e x starved raving lunatics who have never been brave enough to take responsibility for their own actions and thus blame their every move for good or ill on some invisible sprite... but then again, I don't think they have enough sense to understand how offended they should be.

"Jesus proved and certificate that, when HE came to the world as a mere man, thought HE was not just a mere man. HE did not come either with antennas on the head or six fingers on each hand or as a 10 foot giant." No, but Hercules was supposedly a giant of a man as he was also a son of God and was a real hero as Tacitus said "... they say that Hercules, too, once visited them; and when going into battle, they sang of him first of all heroes." and even Josephus speaks of him as being real. So where is the proof of Christ over the proof of Hercules?

December 31, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
    • Salero21

LOL 😀 someone name Dennis claims to understand "evolution" but cannot explained. Why can't he explain evolution? Because is stupid.

December 31, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Salero

I guess you have nothing better to do except troll, but badly. It's pretty pathetic when people like you cannot do anything useful.

December 31, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

So, Salerno – man was created in the image of god? Does that mean that god would look human, and have the same human attributes?

December 31, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • hal 9001

I'm sorry, "Salero21", but "Jesus" as a supernatural being is an element of mythology, therefore, all of your assertions are still unfounded. Using my Idiomatic Expression Equivalency module (IEE), the expression that best matches the degree to which your assertions may represent truths is: "TOTAL FAIL".

I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do... Who You Can Turn to...

December 31, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
  6. Jorge

Raven has an IQ under 80.

December 31, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
    • Raven

Lol, so says the person that cannot use the reply button properly.

January 2, 2013 at 4:44 pm |
  7. Lori

Why are you both so angry at those who believe-did God fail you ???

The greatest lack of faith comes from those who believe either God is a genie in a bottle or he isn't real!

Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear
    Oh? In what way is time running out? Atheism is growing very rapidly, as people share information, and learn what a crock religion is.

December 31, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    Religion is illogical...
    What can we say? ... Our ancestors evolved and yours didn't.

December 31, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
    • hal 9001

I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do... Who You Can Turn to...

December 31, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

Lori, why do you state that I – and my fellow poster – are angry? I do not believe that "god" failed me – because I don't believe in god. And which of the thousands of gods are you referring to? Are you saying that Thor failed me? Odin? Ra? Manitou? Zeus?

Open your eyes, and open your mind.

December 31, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
    • sam

It's kind of hard to be failed by something that doesn't exist. I mean, I could say Frodo Baggins let me down so I'm mad at him...it would make the same amount of difference.

December 31, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
  8. Lori

Hey Moby you're still on heh?

The way you tell if its God speaking and not the devil is you test it, if God tells you to go to the store right away and you follow the whisper and something good happens it is God, and you learn to trust it! If it is evil you will know from what happens.

It used to be people would say let your conscience be your guide people believed in having one–and they believed God guided theirs– now they think a moral compass is BS,

I find the non-believers to be resentful and hateful, the attack those who believe with every ounce of anger they can muster–why????

Moby Schtick
    The problem, Glory Cloud, is that you offer no method by which a person can tell if they're hearing from god or not on issues not explicitly black-and-white (like murder). If someone hears a voice telling them that they need to go to the store RIGHT AWAY because otherwise something bad will happen, that person has no idea if it's god telling them to protect them (the bad thing will occur at their home) or some devil telling them to harm them (the bad thing will occur at the store). Quite a problem, don't you agree?

December 31, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |

December 31, 2012 at 1:09 pm |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

Lori, I'm not saying this with any anger at all toward you, but with compassion: you exhibit the signs of mental illness, believing that god and the devil speak to people. I hope that you do not have children, because a parent who teaches such things to their children are engaging in child abuse.

December 31, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
    • Honey Hush

Loi, sweety, it is called paranoia? If you look at this blog and see the many vile christian posters, you should see they balance each other out and BTW turning the other cheek is supposed to be your gig not others.

December 31, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
  9. lionlylamb

The questions when asked about the ages of spatial nebulas, galaxy clusters and solar systems should be considered as Godly Time verses our understandings of earth based times. For God's outer-dimensioned timeframe only seasons has lapsed by and say a billion years have thusly lapsed by earth time. Within the gospel is written, Psalms 90:4 "For a thousand years in thy sight [are but] as yesterday when it is past, and [as] a watch in the night."

I see nothing wrong in understandings toward our science's age theories. In fact I stand resolute and in favor of it. The theories of inwards-unto; inter-cosmologically atomized paradigms regarding timeliness and outward-onto paradigms of cosmologically celestial time comparisons is truly where sciences should consider and bible based theologians should also find common grounds of rudimentary togetherness.

2Peter 3:8 “But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day [is] with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.” This verse of scripture dares to relate to the time of inner cosmologies within the atomized realms and the timeliness of the outermost cosmology of celestial realms in relationships of our one day’s time. A thousand years goes by within the atomized realms for every day our time and likewise a thousand years our time goes by while a day only goes by upon the outermost cosmology’s realm.

December 31, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
    • w murderface

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)
      This sounds so "good"

December 31, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
    • psych ward staff

OMG what did he eat. I need two more buckets for all the word salad this patient is throwing up – pronto!

December 31, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
  10. Salero21

Time is running out for the descendants of the ape like creature the famous atheists. They [atheists] continue to behave like a troop of baboons or a pack of wolves.

December 31, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

December 31, 2012 at 1:01 pm |
    • Religion is illogical...

What can we say? ... Our ancestors evolved and yours didn't.

December 31, 2012 at 1:04 pm |

"captain america" degenerates to:
      "just sayin" degenerates to:
      "nope" degenerates to:
      "WOW" degenerates to:
      "!"
      and many other names, but of course we all know this resident idiot as
      the disgruntled ex Evangelical Fortune Cookie Co. "writer".

December 31, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
    • End Religion

I applaud you for using "troop" when referring to baboons. I deride you for talking to imaginary creatures, whether in a a troop or not.

Here is proof we evolved from apelike creatures: the Boy Scouts refer to their groups as "troops." It is clear even that religious organization understands our lineage.

December 31, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
  11. Believer

"When properly read, the bible is the most powerful proof of atheism ever conceived" – This is nonsense. Atheists ignore the witnesses of over 40 writers, and others who are given in the Christian Bible that shared similar experiences with the same God. That is not illogical nor is it proof that there is no God. You must simply ignore the witnesses. The supreme witness of an atheist is the atheist.

December 31, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
    • Religion is illogical...

"When properly read" means read with an open mind, no pre-conceived notions... As soon as you start reading as a believer, you're just fulfilling a prophecy, believing because you want to believe. From a neutral standpoint, the bible is nothing more than a poorly written fictional storybook.

December 31, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Very few, if any of the writers were witnesses they are all second hand hearsay accounts. I expect better communication from the creator of the universe.

December 31, 2012 at 1:11 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

Jesus, if he even existed, was crucified over 2000 years ago. Rumors of his resurrection are greatly exagerated.

December 31, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
  12. A Whisper of Truth

The women of my family going back far down my lineage has always had an intimate relationship with a spiritual being, an angel, God. Yes, we hear a voice. It is usually a one sentence statement and occurs every few years prior to significant life event. This spiritual being has predicted accurately the death of several of my family members a year in advance and meeting the person who was to become my great love.

For years I was deeply troubled by these powerful experiences. I searched endlessly for those who have had similar situations and found none. I spoke about it to only a few close friends and family as I hold a very public and professional position. This acticle is profound to me and I thank the author greatly for having the courage to write about this "taboo" topic.

My family and myself are not religious in a sense of having a designated religion; we do however, believe wholeheartedly in God. I personally think that the one God calls people to worship in different ways and respect everyone's right to their own beliefs.

To those of you feel that there is something wrong with people that hear a spiritual voice, please note that there is no history of mental illness anywhere in my lineage. I have had extensive testing in all aspects, combined with multiple MRI's and have been determined to be in perfect healthly both mentally and physically.

I will end this as such, believe whatever you wish to believe, just know there is a higher power beyond this world who is touching your life in some fashion. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to listen.

December 31, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • This or That

My mother claimed to have that 'gift' also, but she was emotionally damaged, as were several members of her large family. None of us 4 kids were 'gifted' though. I guess the 'angels' quit after her.

You know, I prayed for nearly 50 years for guidance. I hate making decisions and agonize over most of them (yeah, even whether to make peas or carrots for dinner!) I begged for some help. Every decision that I ever made was gruelingly on my own, however - for good, bad or neutral. I have not prayed for over 15 years... and there is not a scintilla of difference.

December 31, 2012 at 1:14 pm |
    • End Religion

If the deaths were accurately predicted in advance, why didn't you do something to stop them?

December 31, 2012 at 1:14 pm |
    • A Whisper of Truth

This or That, I'm sorry to hear about your struggles with your mother. I do not or will not make any claims with regards to her situation. I can speak only on my own experiences. Not everyone in my family have the "gift" as you call it and it is almost never spoken of. Everyone is my family is emotionally stable and lead successful, professional lives. Please note that none of these experiences occured while I was praying, I had not prayed in many, many years. They occured while just going about my daily life: working, socializing, etc but are incredibly profound. Whenever I'm faced with a difficult decision (or carrots/peas question) I just flip a coin! It works and takes a lot of stress out of the equation!

December 31, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
    • A Whisper of Truth

End Religion, Death is inevitably a part of life. Sometimes we must accept that it cannot be stopped. The knowledge that it is coming allows any unfinished business to be resolved. Death is also such an intensely, intimate experience that it must be respected. I cannot walk up to someone and say "You're going to die next year." That would unleash a fury of horrid responses from a loved one and I would not want their last year to be living in complete fear and dread. I would never tell someone outwardly, but would instead inquire about resolving their business, going to the doctors', a finished will, taking that long planned vacation and spending cherished time with their families. The notice was absolution.

December 31, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
  13. lionlylamb

December 31, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • psych ward staff

Uh oh, someone threw up their word salad again. Clean-up needed on page 61!

December 31, 2012 at 1:09 pm |
  14. Evenstar

It is sad that so many people are so completely faithless. When evil people do evil deeds they wonder where was God and why did he let this happen? The proper question is why do we let these terrible things happen? So many people in this country and around the world suffer and the indifference of those who are fortunate enough not to be one of the ones who are suffering is disgusting. Far too many put their faith in technology rather in him who created the heavens and the earth. Far too many reject the notion that "... we walk by faith, not by sight" 2 Corinthians 5:7 Too many believe that if they can not see or feel it that it can not be so, but they do not know that "...blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." John 20:29. As for be I believe and am a better person for it, Praise God in the Highest!

December 31, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

It's so sad that people of different faiths spend so much of their time killing people who don't share their faith. Look around the world – it's everywhere. People killing because of, and in the name of their respective gods. Hatred. Intolerance. Misogyny. This is the legacy of thousands of years of religion.

December 31, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
  15. pauleky

If you are hearing voices, you are crazy. Period. It's your own voice speaking to you. If you want to attribute that to God, knock yourself out. However, you might want to keep that to yourself because the majority of us will think you're looney tunes. For some of you, that's clearly not a problem.

December 31, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
  16. An interesting dream

I had a dream that was interesting to me at least. I was doing my masters in computer science at one of most popular IIT in India. I had to be a top ranker across India, to get into IIT.

In my dream, I was in front of the computer doing some assembly language programming for 8086 processor. I wrote a program and as soon as I ran it system reboots. I did not know what was happening as there was limited tools to debug. Then someone came from behind me and told "Check for any mismatching push and pop instructions in all the function calls". I forgot about the dream in the morning.

The same day, I was doing my assembly language assignment and the system started rebooting as soon as I run the program. I tried many times and I was frustrated. Suddenly I remembered the dream. And that fixed the issue. It was puzzling to me always.

I had 3 more such instances. But they are related to my personal life. So I do not wish to share.

Please be assured that I am not bluffing....

December 31, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

That's interesting, all right. Your acc-umulated knowledge, including the information in your subconscious, gave you directions on how to solve a problem. Happens all the time. That's not the voice of god – it's simply your brain.

December 31, 2012 at 1:04 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

How does the brain conceptualize unconscious thought?

December 31, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

@ Bill – your subconscious works below the level of your conscious thoughts, putting information together in different ways, making connections that you would probably not be able to make on a conscious level. Amazing thing the human brain.

December 31, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

@Bill

Intuition, inspiration, thinking outside the box. Often we use our unconscious mind to make connections that aren't obvious except in hindsight.

December 31, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

I understand the definition and description of unconscious. I'm just wondering how does it function. We understand how the lungs infuse our blood with oxygen and how our stomachs process food into nutrients. How does our brain process inactive cognitive stimuli into concepts and retain them consciously?

December 31, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
    • An interesting dream

I am not bringing God into my dream either. I was not aware that God was talking in the dream.

I heard of the cases where solutions found for already known problems in a dream. But in my case I had a future event coming in the dream. That is what more interesting thing here.

December 31, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
    • Saraswati

If you only remembered the related dream when the trigger event occurred, I'd guess that you have many other dreams that lie unremembered because no related events occur, leaving the remembered dreams a non-representative sample. Or heck, there could be something funky going on...but at this point I'd put my money on the non-representative sample theory.

December 31, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
    • Author, Author

Bill Deacon
      As a story teller at times I get a "writers" block and often am barren of ideas for long periods of time, but I am always searching my thouhts for a solution. Often that block is overcome in a dream where the whole plot line comes to me, this is not a rare phenomenon. Please, please do not try and some how relate this to your god, that would be lame, it is just how the mind works.

December 31, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

Is that the same as "We don't know, it just works"?

December 31, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
    • Saraswati

On a related note, I have often dreamed complex solutions to coding problems. Sadly my nocturnal solutions rarely stand up to the light of day...I write better code fully conscious.

December 31, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
    • raforrester

Thank you for posting your dream. I used to have a dream every year or so. In it I was doing something mundane, and then I got a feeling of Deja vu while I was doing it. Every time I had the dream the thing I was doing was identical, but the feeling of Deja vu was stronger. I had the dream maybe 7 times over 10 years.

One day I realized that I was doing the exact thing that was in the dream, and I had an extremely powerful feeling of Deja vu. I just stood there for about 30 seconds while the entire dream was played out in reality. It was not anything remarkable, but was identical in every detail with all the dreams.

It had nothing to do with God, no message, no inspiration, but it did make me realize that the world is much stranger than I had thought, and I became interested in other weird things that happened. If you are willing to see, you'll know that strange things happen.

December 31, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
  17. End Religion

Why won't god grow back Chad's amputated penis?

December 31, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
    • fred

Maybe he doesn't think anyone needs one. The shakers were a funny lot. Being so anti-se xual, they even rejected procreation. Needless to say, they didn't last very long.

December 31, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
  18. Glory Cloud

I can testify that I have heard from God. However, there of course are a lot of people who have not. Until those folks hear from God themselves they will never believe it . The spirit rehlm is just as real as the physical rehlm only those that are senitive to it can experience By praying you can tap into it.Sorry athiests "God" does exist. And as far as people who hear voices in there heads to "Kill" these people are demon possesed. Just like there are people that are God Possesed to a degree there are also evil spirits. I know from experience that there is. If you study "spirtual warefare' you will get an understanding of the evil that is out there.You see when I was first seeking "God" I went to a meditation gathering as did my roomate,what i didnt realize it was whichcraft and a spirit ,evil spirit, followed me. My roomate and I witness this thing for several weeks in our home, so no I am not crazy or delusional,Since then, I have come back to Christ, and he is amazing, I have signs and wonders everyday and I am constanty at awe. I thank him so much from delivering from the evil spirts that tried to attach themselves to me. But now , I know beyond a doubt how great and good God truly is, and my hope is that one day you have a relationship with him through Christ. Why Christ? because he is a pure ,Holy channel to God. Anyother channel or "Door if you will" can have evil spirits enter in.God Bless you and may the spirit of The Lord Christ Jesus open your heart to all truth.

December 31, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
    • Religion is illogical...

Thanks for providing so many details of your experience... It just provides irrefutable evidence that you created a self-fulfilling prophecy. Nothing more.

December 31, 2012 at 12:31 pm |
    • SImran

So, you were possessed by an evil spirit then? And then you found the good spirit! Did you test the spirits then? How???

December 31, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

December 31, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • Raven

Actually illogical, you didn't ask which came first. The faith or the hearing from God. You are incorrect in calling it self fulfillment till you know that.

December 31, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
    • End Religion

GloryHole: you are not special. You did not hear any god speak to you. Take the thumb out of your mouth and grow up.

December 31, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
    • Religion is illogical...

Raven – People who are lost and looking for answers often convince themselves they've heard god or jesus or whatever before they ever 'officially' believe in anything. They're looking for something and there it is... THAT is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

December 31, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
    • Raven

The life itself is self fulfilling prophecy. We are all looking for something.

December 31, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
    • Religion is illogical...

"The life itself is self fulfilling prophecy. We are all looking for something."

The difference is in how we go about it... Religious people create their own 'realities' in order to find some meaning in their lives... Atheists focus on facts and logic to find that meaning.

December 31, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • lol??

"Moby Schtick sayz,
      The problem, Glory Cloud, is that you offer no method by which a person can tell if they're hearing from god or not......." Verify with Scripture.

December 31, 2012 at 12:58 pm |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

@ lol – verify with scripture? Why not verify with Harry Potter? Or Lord of the Rings? They are all just books – written by people. Nope – the scriptures will not provide verification for anything.

December 31, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

lol, you must not have read my reply. How do you verify whether the voice telling you to go to the grocery store is god or not? How do you do that with scripture?

December 31, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
    • Andrew

"I can testify that I have heard from God."

Did you contact your local university or talk to your doctor about it? This could finally be the evidence for gods that the world has been waiting 5000 years for! Your local university could have had you duplicate the communication in a controlled environment. They could have even gotten the first recording, the very first empirical evidence, of a god. As an atheist I would have been pumped and called the university right away!

It's not too late you know. Talk to your doctor or contact your local university today. Let us know what they say.

December 31, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
    • lol??

Same answer.

December 31, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
    • Malevolution

@ lol- Whose to say that the Scripture itself wasn't written by the devil, or men being influenced by the devil for the purpose of misleading the gullible and bringing about the end of the world. After all, there are some pretty horrific things sanctioned by God (?) in the bible such as r ape, slavery, mysogeny, infanticide, genocide, and plain and simple murder. Taken as a whole, the main message of the bible is not to love your neighbor, but to bow down and unquestionably worship this all-powerful authority figure. God....benevolent monarch or malevolent dictator?

December 31, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
    • lol??

Malevolution that's a call only you can make for yourself. You a big boy?

December 31, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • raforrester

@malevolution "After all, there are some pretty horrific things sanctioned by God (?) in the bible such as r ape, slavery, mysogeny, infanticide, genocide, and plain and simple murder. Taken as a whole, the main message of the bible is not to love your neighbor, but to bow down and unquestionably worship this all-powerful authority figure. God....benevolent monarch or malevolent dictator?"

No matter who wrote the Old Testament, it was written for people at least 3 thousand years ago. Much of what the Bible says was a step forward for those people. For example, "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" was a huge step forward for people who would repay a murder with slaughtering the entire village where the murderer lived. To live by "Law," ANY law, rather than by whim and passion was the dramatic step forward that created the groundwork for civilization. Of course, not everyone was, or is, able to do that, but it was a necessary step for modern society. We cannot live without it, believers and atheists alike.

Later, when civilization and the rule of law was (mostly) well established, and the Roman Empire ruled most of the Western World by laws, the idea of loving your neighbor became another enormous and groundbreaking step forward, no matter whether Jesus was divine or not. That laid the foundation for an entire new way of living, peacefully and in harmony with each other. Of course, not everyone was, or is, able to do that, but it is the reason we have learned to take care of each other in order to build a new kind of civilization. We cannot live without it, believers and atheists alike.

December 31, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • Malevolution

@raforrester- I don't understand you reasoning. So you’re saying that because the Old Testament was written for people 3,000 years ago the morality had to be "dummied down" for them to follow it? Were people just not intellectually developed enough to comprehend such simple concepts as r ape and murder is bad? I thought that Christians believed that mankind was created by God in his present form well over 3,000 years ago. If that was the case, people back then should have been just as capable of comprehending these ethical laws. And who cares if they could comprehend them anyhow. All God had to do is step in and tell them r ape and murder is bad and they would have obeyed, thereby averting thousands of years of needless suffering. But in the Scriptures God himself often commands that his followers commit these horrific acts. So maybe God wasn't intellectually developed enough back then either? But God is immutable and all-knowing, so that doesn't work. Therefore the most probable explanation is that, if there is a God, he is either malevolent, impotent, and/or apathetic when it comes to the well-being of his children.

Now if you had said that the Old Testament had been written 'by' people at least 3,000 years ago that would make more sense. But then you might be suggesting that a God wasn't involved.

December 31, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
  19. Tom Brown

.The danger of a talking god is that some talking gods give permission to an individual to commit any atrocity that the listener hears. It's better to dismiss any notion god and put our efforts on solving problems ourselves.

December 31, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
  20. Rev. Rick

Quoting from the article, "For the last 10 years, I have been doing anthropological and psychological research among experientially oriented evangelicals, the sort of people who seek a personal relationship with God and who expect that God will talk back. For most of them, most of the time, God talks back in a quiet voice they hear inside their minds, or through images that come to mind during prayer. But many of them also reported sensory experiences of God."

Is this what passes for "research"? I already see blatent bias in your research, since you are dealing with a selective audience who already expects to see and or hear, either directly or indirectly, from the Almighty. To me, this really seems to be self-fulfilling prophecy, and any conclusions you would draw from this "research" are worthless.

I do believe in faith and prayer, but this is very unimpressive, even from a metaphysical point of view.

December 31, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
    • Religion is illogical...

Without self-fulfilling prophecies and confirmation bias, religion wouldn't exist... There is no other way to justify a belief in talking snakes, pregnant virgins and the idea that the Earth is 6000 years old.

December 31, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
    • Raven

Religion is illogical...- The problem for you is that your argument (if you call it that) is it only applies to literalists.

December 31, 2012 at 12:31 pm |
    • Raven

@Rick- many atheists make similar mistakes by simply saying something isn't true because it hasn't happened to them.

December 31, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • Religion is illogical...

Raven – Sorry, but you don't get to pick and choose what parts of the bible to follow and what parts to reject. If it's truly the word of god, you either take it as a whole or you're not a true believer... The bible is very clear about talking snakes, etc.

Issac Asimov

December 31, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
    • Believer@1whomJesusloves

On the contrary. This report seems very honest. Perhaps it is you that hold the bias.

December 31, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

Belief that prayer works is just an example of the sharp-shooter fallacy. You remember the hits and forget all the misses. Also God has a plan. If you pray for events to change aren't you asking to have him change his plan? If not then why bother praying if things will play out the way they're supposed to anyway?

December 31, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
    • Raven

Religion is illogical...- "Sorry, but you don't get to pick and choose what parts of the bible to follow and what parts to reject. If it's truly the word of god, you either take it as a whole or you're not a true believer... The bible is very clear about talking snakes, etc."

I don't recognize your right to tell anyone what they can believe or not believe in. Are you the grand poobah of what is Christianity and what isn't?

Your appeal to authority is also noted.

December 31, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

Appeal to authority? Isaac Asimov, noted science fiction and history author is not an authority on atheism. But much of what he said I agree with. That said you are free to believe as you wish. The Bible however is the authorized MANUAL for Christianity. I can understand why you may dismiss certain parts of it but since so much of it is pure baloney it's hard to imagine where you find any value in it whatsoever.

December 31, 2012 at 1:01 pm |
    • Raven

Yes, an appeal to authority. If you agree with what he wrote, don't say where the line came from. Putting his name to it makes it seem you are trying to make the point more valid but who cares what Issac said?

No..the Bible is just what it is. There is nothing that says one must believe in the entire Bible 100% on all things and that the Bible is 100% infallible.

January 2, 2013 at 4:48 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93
About this blog