home
RSS
My Take: If you hear God speak audibly, you (usually) aren’t crazy
A woman prays in church. Many Christians say they can audibly hear the voice of God.
December 29th, 2012

My Take: If you hear God speak audibly, you (usually) aren’t crazy

Editor's Note: Tanya Marie (“T.M.”) Luhrmann is a psychological anthropologist and the Watkins University professor in the department of anthropology at Stanford University in Stanford, California. She is the author of "When God Talks Back: Understanding the American Evangelical Relationship with God."

By T.M. Luhrmann, Special to CNN

(CNN)—In the Bible, God spoke directly to Abraham. He spoke directly to Moses. He spoke directly to Job. But to your neighbor down the street?

Most people reading the ancient scriptures understand these accounts of hearing God’s voice as miracles that really did happen but no longer take place today, or maybe as folkloric flourishes to ancient stories. Even Christians who believe that miracles can be an everyday affair can hesitate when someone tells them they heard God speak audibly. There’s an old joke: When you talk to God, we call it prayer, but when God talks to you, we call it schizophrenia.

Except that usually it’s not.

Hearing a voice when alone, or seeing something no one else can see, is pretty common. At least one in 10 people will say they’ve had such an experience if you ask them bluntly. About four in 10 say they have unusual perceptual experiences between sleep and awareness if you interview them about their sleeping habits.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

And if you ask them in a way that allows them to admit they made a mistake, the rate climbs even higher. By contrast, schizophrenia, the most debilitating of all mental disorders, is pretty rare. Only about one in 100 people can be diagnosed with the disorder.

Moreover, the patterns are quite distinct. People with schizophrenia who hear voices hear them frequently. They often hear them throughout the day, sometimes like a rain of sound, or a relentless hammer. They hear not only sentences, but paragraphs: words upon words upon words. What the voices say is horrid—insults, sneers and contemptuous jibes. “Dirty. You’re dirty.” “Stupid slut.” “You should’ve gone under the bus, not into it.”

That was not what Abraham, Moses and Job experienced, even when God was at his most fierce.

For the last 10 years, I have been doing anthropological and psychological research among experientially oriented evangelicals, the sort of people who seek a personal relationship with God and who expect that God will talk back. For most of them, most of the time, God talks back in a quiet voice they hear inside their minds, or through images that come to mind during prayer. But many of them also reported sensory experiences of God. They say God touched their shoulder, or that he spoke up from the back seat and said, in a way they heard with their ears, that he loved them. Indeed, in 1999, Gallup reported that 23% of all Americans had heard a voice or seen a vision in response to prayer.

These experiences were brief: at the most, a few words or short sentences. They were rare. Those who reported them reported no more than a few of them, if that. These experiences were not distressing, although they were often disconcerting and always startling. On the contrary, these experiences often made people feel more intimate with God, and more deeply loved.

In fact, my research has found that these unusual sensory experiences are more common among those who pray in a way that uses the imagination—for example, when prayer involves talking to God in your mind. The unusual sensory experiences were not, in general, associated with mental illness (we checked).

They were more common among those who felt comfortable getting caught up in their imaginations. They were also more common among those who prayed for longer periods. Prayer involves paying attention to words and images in the mind, and giving them significance. There is something about the skilled practice of paying attention to the mind in this way that shifts—just a little bit—the way we judge what is real.

Yet even many of these Christians, who wanted so badly to have a back-and-forth relationship with God, were a little hesitant to talk about hearing God speak with their ears. For all the biblical examples of hearing God speak audibly, they doubt. Augustine reports that when he was in extremis, sobbing at the foot of that fig tree, he heard a voice say, “Take it and read.” He picked up the scripture and converted. When the Christians I know heard God speak audibly, it often flitted across their minds that they were crazy.

In his new book, "Hallucinations," the noted neurologist Oliver Sacks tells his own story about a hallucinatory experience that changed his life. He took a hearty dose of methamphetamines as a young doctor, and settled down with a 19th century book on migraines. He loved the book, with its detailed observation and its humanity. He wanted more. As he was casting around in his mind for someone who could write more that he could read, a loud internal voice told him “You silly bugger” that it was he. So he began to write. He never took drugs again.

Now, Sacks does not recommend that anyone take drugs like that. He thinks that what he did was dangerous and he thinks he was lucky to have survived.

What interests me, however, is that he allowed himself to trust the voice because the voice was good. There’s a distinction between voices associated with psychiatric illness (often bad) and those (often good) that are found in the so-called normal population. There’s another distinction between those who choose to listen to a voice, if the advice it gives is good, and those who do not. When people like Sacks hear a voice that gives them good advice, the experience can transform them.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

This is important, because often, when voices are discussed in the media or around the kitchen table, the voices are treated unequivocally as symptoms of madness. And of course, voice-hearing is associated with psychiatric illness.

But not all the time. In fact, not most of the time.

About a third of the people I interviewed carefully at the church where I did research reported an unusual sensory experience they associated with God. While they found these experiences startling, they also found them deeply reassuring.

Science cannot tell us whether God generated the voice that Abraham or Augustine heard. But it can tell us that many of these events are normal, part of the fabric of human perception. History tells us that those experiences enable people to choose paths they should choose, but for various reasons they hesitate to choose.

When the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. sat at his kitchen table, in the winter of 1956, terrified by the fear of what might happen to him and his family during the Montgomery bus boycott, he said he heard the voice of Jesus promising, “I will be with you.” He went forward.

Voices may form part of human suffering. They also may inspire human greatness.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of TM Luhrmann.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • God

soundoff (7,767 Responses)
  1. Bob

JWT
    learning about what Christians are up to would require you to shut up and listen since you have no idea of the topic. You seem to have a hard time doing this so the idea of learning is out so you are just here to harass. As for not facing God I know you are mistaken but some day you will find the truth. if you start to listen to people who have had experiences with death then maybe you will start to truly listen.

January 1, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Bob,

I was a believer but I did something that people like you don't like, I asked honest questions. I got "answers" like the ones you give. I made me realize you don't have real answers. You claimed there are prophets today. All I asked was who they were.

If I don't show your thoughts respect it is because they don't deserve respect. Your prophets are false and your theism is weak.

January 1, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
    • kevbox

Bob, lay off dissing JWT. Anyone can trivially see what Christians are "up to", and that sure ain't anything to boast about.

January 1, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
    • the AnViL

the only difference between bob and the right reverend fred phelps of the westboro baptist church is – fred has the balls to actually proclaim what he believes.

the only thing people need to do in order to see what xians are up to – is study history and watch the news.

January 1, 2013 at 6:07 pm |
    • JWT

See there you go again – stating that I am a lesser person because I do not believe in your fairy tale/

January 1, 2013 at 6:16 pm |
    • Bob

Cheesy
      The prophets I know you would not know they are on tv or have a name for themselves if that is what you were looking for. There have been some like Katherine Kuhlman and Smith Wiggilsworth that were not really prophets but used by God. So if you want a true answer tell me why you want it and maybe I can direct you to someone. But if I give a answer blindly without knowing I believe you will try to exploit the answer in any way you can. I will sincerely answer if you can sincerely give me a reason for wanting to know.

January 1, 2013 at 6:23 pm |
    • Sue

Bob, stop dodging, you coward. Respond to the request, or admit that you cannot.

January 1, 2013 at 6:28 pm |
    • the AnViL

bob seems to possess a rudimentary understanding that everything he posts can and will be used against him.

January 1, 2013 at 6:31 pm |
    • Bob

JWT
      You surely have a hard time understanding, if that makes you lesser of a person in your own eyes then so be it. I make no judgement on you as a person I am saying you have no idea what a real relationship with the Lord looks like and therefore cannot judge the truth of this matter. You express opinions about something you don't understand and stay here to harass as if it is going to change anyone. Now that is by the worlds standard stupid or ignorant what ever you want to call it that does not make a statement to say you are totally stupid or ignorant in life. There are things we all don't know but that doesn't make us less as people just ignorant in that one area, this is that one area for you. I would personally think you would want to not comment and understand something before you comment or try to destroy it kind of like going into battle and knowing your enemy, it only makes good sense. This is also a specific post with a specific intent which you know nothing about.

January 1, 2013 at 6:32 pm |
    • JWT

My point on the matter is that you believe in your god – and you are welcome to that. I do not believe in any god, an equally valid belief. I don't care if you believe it means nothing to me. What matters is when people want to have others follow their god's rules – such as no birth control, or no gay marriage etc. Then they are trying to force their religion on others. I have no interest is destroying your god, but only as long as you keep it out of my life.

I grew up in the era of forced prayer in the schools. It was a wonderful day for all when that was stopped.

January 1, 2013 at 6:48 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

I told you the first time Bob, I want to know who you think is a true prophet and why you think they are. Is it just because they argree with your theism? Every religion claims prophets. Are you a Mormon that believes in the church prophets? You are the one making claims, should people just accept what you say or do you think they should research your claims? I already told you I ask questions and if don't feel comfortable answering questions about the claims you make on a public forum maybe you shouldn't make them.

January 1, 2013 at 7:18 pm |
    • dd

Keep the faith Bob!

January 1, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
    • If it helps

Cheesemaker. It is an internal experience not an external one.

January 1, 2013 at 8:57 pm |
  2. the AnViL

if you hear voices in your head – they're not gods... they're you.

January 1, 2013 at 5:50 pm |
    • dd

AnVil, Shall I assume you are just a simple cynic, or are you at all interested in Intellectual discussions?

January 1, 2013 at 6:18 pm |
    • the AnViL

dd – i love intellectual discussions – and you may assume anything you like... doesn't mean you'll be correct.

what's your point?

January 1, 2013 at 6:23 pm |
    • dd

Ok explain why people who believe in God are delusional. Don't just say it, how about putting it in the context of your "belief" and why it is not delusional.

January 1, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

I'd say that belief in god is delusional because there's nothing measurable or visible about the object of the belief. People who believe in fairies that can't be measured or seen or detected by an instrument are delusional. Same thing with god. You're believing in something that cannot be verified to exist.

January 1, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
    • the AnViL

dd – there are no gods.

people who believe in non-existent beings are delusional.

i have no religious beliefs... so the only context i can put this in is what i've plainly stated above.

there is no evidence of any gods – none for elohim, none for allah, none for shiva – none for zeus.

you may believe you've sufficient evidence to fuel your faith... but none of it is substantiated in any way.

people have been trying to substantiate their various religious beliefs since the dawn of man... and none have succeeded.

time and time and time again – religion bends over to science.... never ever the other way around.

this is because all religion is predicate on ignorance.

also – i'm not cynical.. i do not believe people do things simply for some sort of gain...

some people – many... do things for absolutely no good reason at all.

January 1, 2013 at 6:55 pm |
    • dd

Moby, do you believe your keystrokes are a result of thoughts in your head. Can you measure and explain where the thoughts came from and how they got there? If you believe your writing what your thinking but can't measure it, are you not delusional by your definition? I guess if you cant measure it either this whole discussion is dilusional.

January 1, 2013 at 6:58 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

dd,

No, I cannot measure "where my thoughts came from" although I have a pretty good idea about the process and it doesn't involve any magic. However, it can be clearly demonstrated that my thoughts are the result of my brain states which compile incoming data from the real world with previous memories from the real world. My thoughts can be measured in that way, for sure.

But regardless, we can measure the reality of my thoughts. I can instruct someone to do something that then affects you. I can write down my thoughts, send them to someone that knows neither of us, have him read what I wrote, and by doing so prove to you that my thoughts have effect on the real world. If my thoughts have that MEASURABLE effect, then they are proved.

January 1, 2013 at 7:04 pm |
    • dd

AnVil. Take out "religious" from your belief statement. I think you have religion and faith confused. I believe religions were created by man. Jesus did not create a religion, Christian as a description of his message came later. Without religion your statement is that you have no "belief". My arguement is that you do too. You listed out what you "believe".

All I can say to conclude is that it is unfortunate that "religious" history has left a bad feeling with so many. That is humanity involved. I do not like to see anger and name calling at those who have faith. Without religion, faith is no more delusoinal than nothing at all.

January 1, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
    • the AnViL

dd – the word "faith" is often used to describe religious belief.

xianity is a religion.

i "listed" what i know. i know for a fact that religion impoverishes all of humanity.... and i know for a fact that those who profess a belief in an imaginary man in the sky have nothing substantial to base their belief on.

January 1, 2013 at 7:24 pm |
  3. the AnViL

spiritual enlightenment = cognitive and intellectual blindness

there are no gods – no matter how ardently you believe gods exist – they do – but only between the ears of the delusional people who choose to believe in them.

January 1, 2013 at 5:48 pm |
  4. Really

lol??
    I did not refuse to back up the religions you never asked. Murder is punishable by Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims, etc. not just Christians.

January 1, 2013 at 5:18 pm |
  5. dd

This blog is more divisive than the state of american politics! There seems to be a lot of reference to fact, lying, absolute, yours is myth and mine is not, brain damage, etc., talk going on here. I think we all hear that inner voice, but it is our faith that guides how it is interpreted. It has to do with individual faith, and believe it or not I think we all rely on faith in whatever we choose to believe. I chose to put my faith in God but it is none the less, designed to be in faith. Atheists too have faith in their belief. For example, before the acceptance that the universe as ever expanding, and having "begun" in an instant 13+billion years ago, atheists said it was always here, it needed no creation by "God", it was itself eternal. Today we know it did have a beginning, it is not eternally old. In faith, Christians say God created it. Atheists have had to revise the fundementals of their faith and say, if there is one universe like ours and we know it is not eternally old, and there was no causal reason for it to arise, then there are probably many more universes in space, i.e., the multiple universe theory. Problem is, there is no scientific evidence that any other universes exist. My point is, that too is faith. So how about agreeing that we all ultimately have faith, and what we might hear is based on that. Have faith that it may just be monkey chatter in your brain, or it might be God.

January 1, 2013 at 4:50 pm |
    • lol??

".........For example, before the acceptance that the universe as ever expanding, and having "begun" in an instant 13+billion years ago, atheists said it was always here......." Is this true atheists?

January 1, 2013 at 5:18 pm |
    • dd

lol??, what is your belief? Are you an atheist? If you do not believe in God, have you got the "facts", and not just theories to explain our rising from primordial soup? How about our common sense of right and wrong, beyond that of animals. If there is no God is there a right and wrong? If so who defined it? Do you put your faith in science and wait for the proofs to test the theories? My point is that everyone has faith, even if it is just faith in the process of science and discovery. I just finished a book about Magellan, and it reminded me that just 400 hundred years ago we still "believed" the world was flat. IIt is interesting that science progresses and in all its discovers none has conclusively conflicted with the existence of God. Our faiths are choice as individuals, but nobody, nobody can stand on firm ground of solid "fact" because none of us know it.

January 1, 2013 at 5:47 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

@dd

You don't seem to understand logical reasoning. The theory of gravity is consistent with invisible fairies pushing matter together, too, but that doesn't make that belief any more plausible. We don't know how the universe came to be as it is or how life began. "We don't know" is an honest answer that allows us to keep searching. "Big invisible sky wizard did it with magic spellz" is an answer for children and idiots. Which are you?

January 1, 2013 at 6:18 pm |
    • tallulah13

dd, atheists have no "faith" to revise. What we have is science. The beautiful thing about science is that it is self-correcting. When something considered to be true is discovered to be wrong, the concept is discarded or corrected. There are certainly conjectures, but they remain conjecture until such time as they are supported by evidence.

Meanwhile, christians derive their "morality" from a 2000 year old book, worship a god for which there is no evidence and some even deride any fact that contradicts their narrow view.

You can believe whatever you want, but I'll put my faith in those who are not afraid to admit and correct when they discover that they are wrong.

January 1, 2013 at 6:21 pm |
    • Bob

tallulah13
      While my life does depend on science in some ways to make it better it is not what I want to base my life on. It is lacking so much cannot even know all the fish in the ocean said we were decedents of apes at the monkey trial now DNA has proved that was wrong, yea it has to be self correcting because its a guess till its not then maybe the correct answer may stand but for how long?. Science cannot tell for sure the origin or end of the universe either so who is the smart one.

January 1, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Bob, atheists don't think of science the way you think of god, so your questions are all fvcked up. The honest answer is "We don't know" and that allows science to explore and measure and test and verify. The answer "big invisible sky wizard did it with magic spellzzzzzzzz" is dishonest and solves nothing.

January 1, 2013 at 6:47 pm |
    • dd

Atheists have "faith" in the truth of science, no? Science does not explain our innate understanding of right and wrong so what keeps atheists from becoming anarchists? How does an atheist explain why they are ok and Adolf Hitler was not? The point I am trying to make is that atheists stand on the same uncertain ground. We all believe in something, even if it is the lack of it.

January 1, 2013 at 6:50 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

No, dd, atheists do not have "faith" in science. Faith is belief WITHOUT evidence. Science ONLY deals with what has evidence. Your computer operates because of the predictability of certain molecules and chemicals in nature. Science was able to study them to know how they would react and azzemble them together to make the powerful tool you and I both use tonight.

Science is very good at explaining how mammals value certain traits in other members of the same species and similar species. The atheist explains that Adolf Hitler was wrong because he desired to do to others what he would not want done to himself. He broke the mammalian rules of empathy and hypocrisy in ideal.

The "ground" atheists "stand on" is measurable reality. If something can be measured and observed, then we can work with it. If something cannot be measured and observed (such as spiritual beings and realms) then we can't make any claims about their existence and much less about their behavior. Atheists don't make claims that cannot be justified by reasoning and reality. Believers in supernatural realms and being do make such claims, and pretend that they are just as good, and that's obviously stupid. When you god believers can make useful tools for people who don't believe, give us a call. Until then, you believers are free to use the tools made by people who can actually prove that what they say is correct.

January 1, 2013 at 6:59 pm |
    • dd

Moby; Thanks for being more clear on your ground. I will close in saying that seeing the "tools" you requested are a simple matter of perspective. I believe the tools are inside me, through birthright. I also find evidence in God in all that I see, things you can't "reason or measure". The enormity and exact harmony of all in this universe, I believe can only be result of creation. We all have the tools already. My perspective through faith, says potential is unlimited and we are part of something so much bigger than ourselves. You perspective is one of existence with only what is visible and measurable. I think that is so terribly limiting to what and who we are. You and I are in the same boat here on earth but my perspective connects me to something much grander.

January 1, 2013 at 7:30 pm |
    • tallulah13

Faith in science is your term, dd, not mine. I believe in facts. You believe in mythology.

Bob, you are not interested in truth. Rather than understand facts, you simply say "god did it" and close your mind. You criticize evolution without even demonstrating that you understand it. We are not descended from apes. We share common ancestors with apes. DNA proves it. Your ignorance is not proof of god. It is merely proof of your ignorance.

January 1, 2013 at 9:32 pm |
  6. Bob

From the beginning God wanted to talk to us He wants to walk us through our daily walk and help us. We have so much more than they had in the Old Testament. God walked with Adam and Eve in the garden, can you imagine what that must have been like? Humans ruined it for themselves by sin or separation from God. In Jesus God gave us the ability to hear from Him again but the Bible says we have to search with all our might. Sometimes I wonder if its more about us going beyond the flesh and that's why it takes so much because I know that in my life and others God was always there, saved or not. We may not have recognized who it was until we got saved but once saved it became clear that what the Bible says that we couldn't even know God unless He first called us becomes apparent. My only regret in coming to the Lord was that I didn't do it sooner, I didn't know He was that good and loving and had already accepted me and made the way for me to be His. He was calling me from childhood and fear kept me away. To all who are on the wall thinking they are not good enough to start this great journey and want to wait to clean up first, I say come just as you are. He already knows all there is to know and is calling you, don't let the lies that you have to clean up first or you have to do it by yourself first allow you to stop experiencing one of the greatest life changing experiences there is. We are the sheep He is the Shepard He helps us in every way, He cleans us up, He makes the daily provision for what ever it is we need. He is a friend that sticks closer than a brother. He will also remove any addiction and bondage or situation that you need help with. WE are not alone we don't have to do it by ourselves and He loves us with a everlasting love, HE WILL NOT DISAPPOINT.

January 1, 2013 at 3:49 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Bob

If you keep making claims and refuse to answer questions to those claims no one should take anything you say seriously.

January 1, 2013 at 3:58 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

God is so invisible and undetectable that his existence is irrelevant, and no believer can prove otherwise.

January 1, 2013 at 3:59 pm |
    • tallulah13

Bob, it sounds like you really, really want someone else to be in control of your life. Is being an adult really that difficult? Sure, there are bad times, but that just makes the good times more rewarding. There is something deeply honorable in finding the strength in yourself to stand again after you fall. I hope someday you can let go of your fears and realize that you don't need a supernatural father, that you are indeed strong enough to be responsible for yourself.

January 1, 2013 at 4:11 pm |
    • Bob

Wow interesting replies
      You are atheists my replies will not make a difference to your salvation or beliefs because the goal here is not to be enlightened it is to harass. So the rules are I will reply when I want say what I want and most of the time even in responses they will not be directed to you.

January 1, 2013 at 4:51 pm |
    • Bet

In other words, Bob is gonna take his ball and go home.

January 1, 2013 at 4:58 pm |
    • Bob

Nope just not going to go where there is no point in going. I would really have to be stupid to let you and the atheists here run me or others around just for you own personal jollies. The topic is we can hear Gods voice atheists should not even be here because they know nothing about this topic.

January 1, 2013 at 5:16 pm |
    • oli

No atheist has ever disturbed my belief in God on this blog. They usually strengthen it. I'm grateful to have let go of the anger and live for something worthwhile. Love.

January 1, 2013 at 5:19 pm |
    • JWT

It's very simple bob – you have a god and I do not. The rules as set by your version of god do not apply to me. There simple enough.

January 1, 2013 at 5:22 pm |
    • Bob

Oli I agree one point that it does strengthen faith but there are two other things it also does, stop the sharing and discourse by those who may not be that strong in the faith and those who are weak in faith may make them question their own beliefs. It is a attack on personal beliefs so those that want to share cant and may think twice before doing so again. Just like the wishing of Merry Christmas you have to think twice, its brainwashing or control at its finest at very least intimidation to stop the speaking of the Gospel of truth.

January 1, 2013 at 5:27 pm |
    • oli

I'm glad I can leave and not deal with the crazy people on here.
      In my work and life – people are kind and considerate – here they are hateful.
      They are a good example to me of life without God. They are a slave to their own desires. I pray for them!

January 1, 2013 at 5:30 pm |
    • Bob

JWT then why are you here? This is a discussion that you don't understand it is about hearing from God no one on this one page is pushing anything on you that is off topic you are the one causing the problems by not going to the atheist blog post and commenting there. You really have nothing to add except venom so go unless you want to truly learn then welcome.

January 1, 2013 at 5:31 pm |
    • Bob

Oli this attack on the Christians is in the whole world now its not only on this board. This board is the worst because you cannot be face to face with these people so the anonymity provides room for this behavior. I would say stay because if they run you off they have accomplished their mission and some day a stand is going to have to be made. The insults will come back to them in ways that they will wonder why things are happening that are not good. Not to mention I would not want to get in front of God and hear these words played back to me in front of Him.

January 1, 2013 at 5:37 pm |
    • Bob

Blessed are the Cheesemakers
      Bob

The disrespect you show in your name and the fact that you are atheist I would never think you would take seriously anything I say regardless if I answered questions or not.

January 1, 2013 at 5:41 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Bob, why are you upset at atheists. Neither you nor we have "anything" except existence. You have nothing visible or measurable to back up your silly claims, but you look at that nothingness and say "MAGIC SKY DADDY!!!" while we honest folk say, "wow, what a wild mystery and what an interesting ride."

If you have something, then let's see it.

January 1, 2013 at 5:50 pm |
    • JWT

Like many other atheists I take an interest in what the religious are up to. This is important since so many want to actively require me to live by their concepts of their ficticious (to me) god. And get stuck with their ideas of health care and no my own. It's important to keep up to date on their talbanisation of the country. Of course many religious people are not like this but enough are that it is a problem that must be dealt with.

Besides this is an open blog and my opinions are as important as yours. I learned everything I need to know about god 53 years and 27 days ago.

January 1, 2013 at 5:51 pm |
    • JWT

Saying there is no god is not an insult. And we will never have to fear being in front of your god.

January 1, 2013 at 5:55 pm |
    • oli

Bob,
      I focus on carrying out God's work in my life. And I'm actually pretty busy with work and charity I don't have time for this.
      I like a good healthy conversation. I don't see many opportunities here for that.
      Peace.

January 1, 2013 at 5:57 pm |
    • Bob

Oli I know what you are saying but how about sharing some of your experiences. I love to hear other peoples testimonies and it will be something that cannot be refuted because it is your own personal testimony that happened to you.

January 1, 2013 at 6:04 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

That's rich, Bob. You "love" to hear about others' experiences unless those others are gay. On that score, you think you know it all. Why is it that "no one can refute" the nonsense you believe, for which you have no proof or evidence, but you continue to ignore facts about hom0s3xuality?

January 1, 2013 at 6:08 pm |
    • tallulah13

I'm not sure how I haras.sed you, Bob. I do hope that someday you can take that final step and take responsibility for your own life. I don't know why you think that is a bad thing.

January 1, 2013 at 6:08 pm |
    • Bob

Moby
      If you would come with me when we hold a service and pray for people and watch them get healed or crying with joy when they get a word on their problem or loved one or just a confirmation that the situation that they are concerned about will be ok you would understand what I am talking about. To me you atheists have not experienced the true power and love of God yet want to tell others your beliefs that you have no idea if they are really true. This may stop some from seeking what the Lord has for them effectively stopping relief for that person. To me this is hideous to take away the hope of people that's why I am against atheists. To me atheists have lost their senses and lie and don't care about anyone else. I am not saying that Christians as you perceive Christians have been so good and true but removing all hope is well utter darkness.

January 1, 2013 at 6:14 pm |
    • sam stone

"...those who are weak in faith may make them question their own beliefs"

is there something wrong with questioning one's own belief?

January 2, 2013 at 6:40 am |
    • sam stone

" To me atheists have lost their senses and lie and don't care about anyone else"

And how many atheists have you met in real life, Bob?

January 2, 2013 at 6:42 am |
    • sam stone

"you have no idea if they are really true."

the irony is deafening, bob

January 2, 2013 at 6:45 am |
  7. F.S.M

On top of spaghetti...
    all covered with cheese.

I lost my poor meatball
    When somebody sneezed.

It rolled off the table..then on to the floor.

And then, my poor meat ball...rolled out of the door.

January 1, 2013 at 3:22 pm |

For courting's a pleasure,
      But parting is grief,
      And a false-hearted lover,
      Is worse than a thief.

January 1, 2013 at 3:45 pm |
  8. Lori

It just is the very deepest essence of you–find it and you will find God

anyway I do enjoy discussion of religion, philosphy and God very much– I will be back to check in later–If you do good than may God bless your life!

sam stone
    lori: if a soul is not a concept, what is it?

January 1, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |

January 1, 2013 at 3:18 pm |
    • tallulah13

I'd rather have my humanity than a god or a soul.

January 1, 2013 at 3:21 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Please don't

January 1, 2013 at 3:21 pm |
    • Reply Feature

Lori
      Even if you could figure me out, I don't want you touching me biiitch.

January 1, 2013 at 3:27 pm |
    • JWT

Still with that innuendo that if someone has not found their god within themselves them have failed. A blivit in deep brown.

January 1, 2013 at 3:29 pm |
    • Bet

Head like a hole
      Black as your soul
      I'd rather die
      Than give you control.

January 1, 2013 at 5:09 pm |
  9. Lori

You can choose your own path, I have chosen mine a soul is not a concept–it just is!

JWT
    No soul and no god. Your concepts do not apply to all people, just those that believe like you.

January 1, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    tallulah13
    I must confess, I do not see the reason to believe in any god. There is no proof for any god, despite what you claim. Why the fear of being responsible for your own life? Why is it so difficult to claim your adulthood and shed the need for a supernatural parent? I honestly just don't get it.

January 1, 2013 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |

January 1, 2013 at 3:09 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

YES....THAT IS THE BUTTON...THAT IS THE ONE YOU USE....THE ONE ON THE MAIN POST.

HOW DAFT ARE YOU??

January 1, 2013 at 3:14 pm |
    • sam stone

lori: if a soul is not a concept, what is it?

January 1, 2013 at 3:14 pm |
    • Joe

Lori, in my case it just happened. I used to be an ardent, very vocal atheist – one day He touched me – it was an internal/external embrace – nothing in my experience had ever been so real – I had no choice, and in over 20 years it's only gotten deeper

January 1, 2013 at 5:06 pm |
  10. Lori

I am not a liar for saying I know God exists, I do know my God–even though you have not experienced God does not mean he isn't real- it just means he isn't real to you right now!

Jen
    Oh please. No one calls anyone a liar because they say they believe in god. You are a liar if you say you know for a fact that god exists. Belief and facts...two very different things which you refuse to acknowledge.

January 1, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |

January 1, 2013 at 3:07 pm |
    • hal 9001

I'm sorry, "Lori", but "God" is an element of mythology, therefore, all of your assertions to date have been either unfounded or falsehoods. Using my Idiomatic Expression Equivalency module (IEE), the expression that best matches the degree to which your assertions may represent truths is: "CHRONIC EPIC FAIL".

I see that you repeat these unfounded statements with high frequency. Perhaps the following book can help you:

I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do... Who You Can Turn to...

January 1, 2013 at 3:10 pm |
    • LinCA

@Lori

You said, "I am not a liar for saying I know God exists"
      If you consider imaginary friends real, I guess you can claim you god exists.

Your imaginary friend is yours, and yours alone. Your imaginary friend doesn't exist for anyone else. Not even your fellow believers have the same imaginary friend. They all have their own. They may all be the spawn of the same fairy tale, but they are all unique.

January 1, 2013 at 3:11 pm |
    • TLDR

You are not a liar, indeed. Those who know God are blessed.

I once was as spiritually blind as a lot of people I see posting on here. I had major resentments toward faith. That resentment hurt others, but mostly hurt me.

I'm getting better now. Happy New Year, Lori.

January 1, 2013 at 3:22 pm |
    • lol??

LinCA, NOPE, "Eph 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,"

January 1, 2013 at 3:56 pm |
    • LinCA

@lol??

You said, "NOPE, "Eph 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,""
      Quoting from the fairy tale that these imaginary friends are modeled on, doesn't carry any weight in a discussion about whether these imaginary friends are real.

January 2, 2013 at 10:52 am |
  11. Lori

tallulah13

No I only report really bad trash mouth

January 1, 2013 at 3:05 pm |
  12. Lori

I do know my God and yes he is the God of Abrahams, Isaac, Jacob, Jesus, Elijah, Moses-he is the Native American's "Great Spirit", He is Allah, he is the great "I am", but no I do not believe he must be your God, but getting in touch with your deeper sel, your soul–becoming a deeper personj- you will automatically find this God, its just cause and affect! and he will speak to you–but you don't have to listen!

January 1, 2013 at 3:03 pm |

January 1, 2013 at 3:06 pm |
    • tallulah13

January 1, 2013 at 3:07 pm |
    • lol??

Oh, oh, I thought I smelled a dead rat............."He is Allah".......... You Od'd on Tricky Ricky Warren.

January 1, 2013 at 3:08 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Lori,

There are only 2 possibilities to your failure the use the reply button ON THE MAIN POST to reply.

1. You truly don't understand what everyone has tried to explain and if that is the case no one should rely on you for advice of understanding of the most simple things in life, much less god.

2. You actually do know how to use it and are playing dumb, which would make you dishonest and not trustworthy.

Either way, you should start using the reply button or stop posting.

January 1, 2013 at 3:12 pm |
  13. Lori

I am almost 51 years young–next month I will be 51.

JWT
    If I ever choose to swear at you it will be guaranteed to be at you adn you alone and you will have deserved it.

January 1, 2013 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    JJ
    Lori, again, how old are you? Why do you keep dodging that question? I'm just trying to determine if your youth explains your lack of coherency and critical thinking.

January 1, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    Chad
    @Lori,
    anti-theists are a odd bunch. Incapable of looking at themselves and seeing that clearly these emotional eruptions at Christians indicates a deep fear. They will accuse you of lying simply when you say you believe in God. They will accuse you of being disingenuous when you simply ask them a question. You can answer 5 million of their questions, they will never answer yours. All the while they will believe to their core that you, the Christian, are the lying, dishonest, evasive person...

weird..

January 1, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    I wonder
    JJ,

She said yesterday that she had a rough experience giving birth to her child in the 1980s, so she's no kid. Perhaps she suffered some kind of brain damage during that...?

January 1, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    Jen

January 1, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    I wonder
    p.s. maybe it was the 1990s, but still, she's no youngster (chronologically).

January 1, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |

January 1, 2013 at 3:01 pm |
    • tallulah13

Does this post imply that you report abuse at anyone who disagrees with you? You may be 50, but you have the maturity level of a 14 year old. Go ahead. Report abuse on me.

January 1, 2013 at 3:03 pm |
    • tallulah13

Whoops. My bad. I see that you are simply copying and pasting entire threads. I apologize for the insult. But I would like to know why you need to repost what was already said.

January 1, 2013 at 3:05 pm |
    • JJ

Thanks Lori, we're the same age then. I and others are just trying to help you figure out how to engage in these comments. I at least respect the fact that you actually are engaging and not dropping a claim and running off like a troll as so many Christians do. You copied and pasted (for some reason) a bunch of text just to enter one sentence. Do you have a PC or MAC? Have you never used one before?

January 1, 2013 at 3:08 pm |
  14. Reply Here

Lori

Which internet browser are you using? Internet Explorer? Firefox? I have never seen one of them that doesn't show the "Reply" button here on each original post - THAT's the one you need to use!

January 1, 2013 at 2:45 pm |
    • JWT

It's possible that the button is there just not visible. Some places I post from do not have the POST button visible but it clicks anyway when I click on the right spot.

January 1, 2013 at 3:04 pm |
  15. Lori

and you swearing at me only suffices to say you are angry at something other than me, I have caused you no harm in stating what I feel and know!

January 1, 2013 at 2:38 pm |

January 1, 2013 at 2:41 pm |
    • JJ

January 1, 2013 at 2:50 pm |
    • Chad

@Lori,

weird..

January 1, 2013 at 2:51 pm |
    • I wonder

JJ,

January 1, 2013 at 2:56 pm |
    • Jen

January 1, 2013 at 2:56 pm |
    • I wonder

p.s. maybe it was the 1990s, but still, she's no youngster (chronologically).

January 1, 2013 at 2:58 pm |
    • JJ

What questions have you asked of atheists that you've not gotten an answer? I'm an atheist, ask away. BTW, atheists aren't the only one's who lack a belief in Christianity. Muslims, Scientologists, Jews, Hindus, etc. are in the same camp and do not believe in your particular god.

January 1, 2013 at 3:02 pm |
    • Chad

@JJ: what investigation have you done that has led you to reject the existence of the God of Israel

@Jen: unless you claim to be able to prove that the God of Israel does not exist, you must be open to the possibility that He does exist.

January 1, 2013 at 3:35 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Chad, you have ZERO proof of your god. If you did, you'd have already presented it. You don't, so you're reduced to the blustering you do here every day and pretending the logic should be backwards and on the unbeliever. Why can't your god get better spokespeople?

January 1, 2013 at 3:38 pm |
    • Chad

What would you consider proof? Keep in mind that it cant be coercive.

January 1, 2013 at 3:40 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Real proof is always coercive, moron. If I give you real proof that my car is green, you're coerced by the proof.

It's like you're asking for a nutritional sandwhich that isn't food.

January 1, 2013 at 3:42 pm |
    • Really

Chad
      You ask the same stupid question every day and always reject the answers you get, pretty sad. You don't need an answer because it will never change your opinion.

January 1, 2013 at 3:53 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

I think that Chad asks for the impossible contradictions like proof that isn't coercive and reasons that aren't conclusions because he's offering an impossible god that is a contradiction. He's proving the irrelevancy of his god through syntax and diction.

January 1, 2013 at 3:57 pm |
    • lol??

Really sayz, "......My question about in vitro fertilization you have ducked many times. If conception occurs in a petrie dish is the killing of the resulting embryo murder? You seem to think that the morning after pill is murder? Try, Chad to answer the question.........." Murder is a Biblical concept. Do you believe the Bible to be true?

January 1, 2013 at 4:20 pm |
    • Really

lol??
      I think you will find that murder is also a legal concept as well as a religious concept in all RELIGIONS in the world, not just biblical, good try though.

January 1, 2013 at 4:26 pm |
    • lol??

Really, then what do you suppose their take on the scenario is? Which one do you agree with?

January 1, 2013 at 4:31 pm |
    • Really

lol??
      You seem to be a lot like the Chad himself answer with a question. I am trying to get an answer from Chad, honest or dishonest, he is the one that has stated life begins at conception, does that also include conception in a test tube, thats all. My position as to when life begins, I will go with the legal position of the law and medicine.

January 1, 2013 at 4:41 pm |
    • lol??

I don't know what the legal position is. Any legislation? Any court cases?

January 1, 2013 at 4:46 pm |
    • Really

lol??
      You seem to be Chad using a different handle. My concept would be when a fetus can survive outside of the womb and I am not you research slave, look it up yourself, start with RvsW.

January 1, 2013 at 4:53 pm |
    • lol??

You claim the law as your position and then won't back it up with the applicable laws?

January 1, 2013 at 4:56 pm |
    • lol??

You claimed other religions and then refused to back that up, too.

January 1, 2013 at 4:57 pm |
    • lol??

Methinks you're blowing smoke.

January 1, 2013 at 4:58 pm |
    • lol??

And your scenario had no details.

January 1, 2013 at 4:59 pm |
    • midwest rail

Sorta like the scenarios you just invent, lol ?

January 1, 2013 at 5:01 pm |
    • Really

lol??
      Rue vs Wade and The Protece Life Act are the two at the federal level.

January 1, 2013 at 5:08 pm |
    • Really

Roe vs Wade and the Protect life Act at the federal level, use your own handle Chad. Your claims about my claims, you are kidding, word twisting LOL.

January 1, 2013 at 5:13 pm |
    • Really

lol?? I never refused to back up the religions, you didn't ask, Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims, etc. all have laws against murder.

January 1, 2013 at 5:23 pm |
    • lol??

UUUMMmmmm Really, 3 times you accused me of being someone else. I thought it was a relevant topic, but with those VOICES in your head, I will decline any further discussion on the issue, crackpot.

January 1, 2013 at 5:27 pm |
    • Really

lol??... you want to act as Chad's alter ego, so answer the original question....Does destroying an embryo produced by in vitro fertilization an act of murder, as Chad says the morning after pill is an act of murder?

January 1, 2013 at 5:27 pm |
    • Really

lol//
      I should have known better to try and disscuss anything with a sad little troll, maybe not Chad, but Chad like, cut and run coward.

January 1, 2013 at 5:31 pm |
    • Chad

Proof that is no coercive:
      I can prove to you that I am real, if you will come to my house and meet me.

that is proof that is not coercive, you have the option not to come to my house.

========
      Reasons:
      1. The origin of the universe
      2. The fine tuning of the universe
      3. The origin of life on earth
      4. The fossil record
      5. The empty tomb

Conclusion: The God of Israel is real

=======
      Definitions:
      Coercion: the act of compelling by force of authority.
      Reasons: A cause, explanation, or justification for an action or event.
      Conclusion: The end or finish of an event or process; The summing-up of an argument or text.

January 1, 2013 at 5:33 pm |
  16. Lori

My posts are highly suggestive that if they find a deeper sense of soul, they will find God–not the other way around!

JWT
    Your posts are highly suggestive that people need god to become better people. That is very rude. If you tell that to me I will tell you to f off and you would deserve it for your incredibly poor manners. This is one of the things that really peeves people off – the religious telling (just like you) people they are lesser people for not believing in your version of god. There is nothing that people cannot do and be wit your god that they cannot be without your god. Your suggestions otherwise are totally bogus.

January 1, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |

January 1, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
    • JWT

There is no god to find. At least I have none and there is none that I can or need to find no matter what. Your mileage has apparently differed. The soul being a religious article is something I do not have.

January 1, 2013 at 2:40 pm |
    • JWT

again you are fostering religious concept son non-religious people.

January 1, 2013 at 2:40 pm |
  17. Lori

Trust is earned– I can only tell you I do know my God, he has healed me, he has given me a greater understanding of life, of my soul, of the subtleties of all living things,he grants me wisdom and discernment– he has given me many miracles, and I work hard to earn his trust in me!
    And if you wish to know these things I can give you guidance, but the journey for each person is personal– I will not indoctrinate into a religion, I only offer guidance to the soul, your journey is your own!

Blessed are the Cheesemakers
    You can't find the "reply" button...why should anyone trust that you found a "soul" or a god?

January 1, 2013 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |

January 1, 2013 at 2:30 pm |
    • LinCA

@Lori

You said, "The reply button is not available on my sub postings just on the main postings for my computer–"
      No fucking shit! It's not available for anyone.

To reply to a reply you simply click on the reply button of the first post in that particular discussion. That way your reply ends up below in the same thread.

So if you want to tell me what an asshole or fucking cunt I am for cursing at you, all you need to do is reply to your own post and address it at me.

January 1, 2013 at 2:38 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

HOW DAFT ARE YOU?

January 1, 2013 at 2:49 pm |
    • Reply Here

Lori,

I am replying to you (and LinCA) right now.

I clicked "Reply" here (on your original post): January 1, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply

January 1, 2013 at 2:51 pm |
    • LinCA

@Reply Here

You said, "Lori,
      I am replying to you (and LinCA) right now.
      "

I sincerely doubt that she will get it anytime soon. I suspect she won't find the reply button until her grandson points it out to her.

January 1, 2013 at 2:54 pm |
    • Reply Here

I think you're right, LinCA. I'm old enough to be her mother, though, and I had no trouble figuring it out...

January 1, 2013 at 3:22 pm |
  18. Lori

I will never tell someone they NEED God unless they are open to knowing there is more to life-I will never tell them how to find God unless they ask.

I will never tell you- that you in your ridicule and anger need God, but I will tell you to learn manners and respect of people who think and feel different than yourself! I will say you could learn to get a deeper meaning of life and a deeper sense of your own soul!

JWT
    As long as you keep telling people they need god they will be telling you to f off. And rightly so,.

January 1, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |

January 1, 2013 at 2:25 pm |

January 1, 2013 at 2:32 pm |
    • lol??

God judges perfectly. You will need a very perfect attorney, or the ability to pay a very perfect fine.

January 1, 2013 at 2:40 pm |
    • JWT

Me ? God's punishment is the same as a unicorn gives to a neutronium wall while being ridden by a leprechaun.

January 1, 2013 at 2:46 pm |
    • lol??

No JWT, you already voted.

January 1, 2013 at 2:48 pm |

Voted fro what ? Obama ?

January 1, 2013 at 2:51 pm |
  19. Lori

Encouraging people to find their soul, and the God of life that guides them in their soul to be the best they can be, the safest they can be, the deepest soul they can be, the most feeling, knowing and understanding spirit they can be– is a beautiful thing!!!!!

The path they ta to get to this wisdom, love, discerning judgement, truth and life is up to them, but I will always try to help those who wish to know this God that I know!

January 1, 2013 at 2:09 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

January 1, 2013 at 2:23 pm |
    • Ima gonna take a leap here....

.... and say shes looking for the reply button on the replies to her posts.....

going to take another leap and say its because she maybe feels that clicking on the actual reply button would be like talking to herself....and that would be ...crazy...... not like believing in a Invisible Man with anger mgmnt issues and Cosmic sized Ego.

just thought i try walking in the shoes of a theist... sorry

January 1, 2013 at 2:54 pm |
  20. Lori

Sorry Attack, but I do not make anyone feel what they do not wish to feel, or cannot feel- I do not indoctrinate, nor tell others what religion to feel. I do not tell people what path they need to take to get to God through a specific religious doctrine, but I will never stop telling humans to seek a higher level of soul that they may find this God that I know! Then I would be selfish and uncaring towards others who may truly wish to find the depths of their soul, who may want to Feel deeper and feel God.

Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear
    Wasn't it Obi-Wan who said essentially the same thing, about feeling the Force and using the Force.
    Believe what you want, if it makes you happy. Just don't push those beliefs into the public sphere.

January 1, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |

January 1, 2013 at 1:56 pm |
    • hal 9001

I'm sorry, "Lori", but "God" is an element of mythology, therefore what you think you know about "it" is, in fact, a form of dementia. Because of this, "Lori", all of your assertions to date on the Belief Blog are either unfounded or falsehoods. Using my Idiomatic Expression Equivalency module (IEE), the expression that best matches the degree to which your assertions may represent truths is: "CHRONIC TOTAL FAIL".

I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do... Who You Can Turn to...

January 1, 2013 at 2:07 pm |

January 1, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93
About this blog