home
RSS
January 8th, 2013

My take: 'Atheist' isn’t a dirty word, congresswoman

Editor’s note: Chris Stedman is the author of "Faitheist: How an Atheist Found Common Ground with the Religious" and the assistant humanist chaplain at Harvard. You can follow him on Twitter at @ChrisDStedman.

By Chris Stedman, Special to CNN

(CNN)—This year, Congress welcomed the first Buddhist senator and first Hindu elected to either chamber of Congress, and the Pew Forum noted that this “gradual increase in religious diversity … mirrors trends in the country as a whole.”

But Pew also noted one glaring deficiency: Religious “nones” were largely left outside the halls of Congress, despite one in five Americans now saying they don’t affiliate with a religion.

There is, however, one newly elected “none” — but she seems to think "atheist" is a dirty word.

Rep. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Arizona, was sworn in a few days ago without a Bible, and she is the first member of Congress to openly describe her religious affiliation as “none.” Although 10 other members don’t specify a religious affiliation — up from six members in the previous Congress — Sinema is the only to officially declare “none.”

This has gotten Sinema a fair amount of attention from the media. Many identified her as an atheist during her congressional campaign, and after she won, sources touted her as a nontheist. Even this past weekend, Politico declared in a headline: “Non-believers on rise in Congress.”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

But there’s a slight issue: Sinema doesn’t actually appears to be a nonbeliever. In response to news stories identifying her as an atheist, her campaign released this statement shortly after her victory: “(Rep. Sinema) believes the terms non-theist, atheist or non-believer are not befitting of her life’s work or personal character.”

As a nontheist, atheist and nonbeliever (take your pick), I find this statement deeply problematic.

It is perfectly fine, of course, if Sinema isn’t a nontheist, and it is understandable that she would want to clarify misinformation about her personal beliefs. But to say that these terms are “not befitting of her life’s work or personal character” is offensive because it implies there is something unbefitting about the lives and characters of atheists or nonbelievers.

Christmas exposes atheist divide on dealing with religion

Try substituting a religious group of your choice in place of atheist if you don’t agree: “[Rep. Sinema] believes the term Muslim is not befitting of her life’s work or personal character.” Does that sound right? It shouldn’t.

Of course, many do view Muslims as unfit for political office. In that respect, political opponents have regularly misidentified President Obama as a Muslim. Many have defended the president from such attacks by noting that Obama is a Christian.

But former Republican Secretary of State Colin Powell rightly pointed out the pernicious underlying message such a defense sends:

The correct answer is: He is not a Muslim; he’s a Christian. He’s always been a Christian. But the really right answer is, ‘What if he is? Is there something wrong with being a Muslim in this country?’ The answer is ‘No, that’s not America.’ Is there something wrong with some 7-year-old Muslim-American kid believing that he or she could be president?

Just as Muslim is used as a political smear, politicians seem to avoid "atheist."

This is probably because the American electorate views both Muslims and atheists more unfavorably than they do other groups: According to a Gallup poll released in June, only 58% of Americans would vote for a “generally well-qualified” Muslim candidate, and only 54% would vote for an atheist. (This is the first time that number has been above 50% for an atheist candidate.)  By contrast, 91% would vote for a Jewish candidate, 94% for a Catholic and 80% for a Mormon.

There seems to be a greater general tolerance for, or blindness to, comments that marginalize or diminish atheists than those aimed at other groups.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Prominent individuals like Powell rightfully decry anti-Muslim fear-mongering in politics, but few speak out against those who wield accusations of atheism as a political weapon.

Whether people don’t see it or simply aren’t bothered isn’t clear, but it remains a problem.

I respect Sinema’s right to self-identify as she chooses, and I don’t wish to speculate about her religious beliefs. But while I celebrate that she is comfortable enough to openly identify as bisexual, I find her response to being labeled an atheist troubling.

Why not instead say that she’s not an atheist, but so what if she was?

The 113th Congress is rich with diversity. As an interfaith activist, I am glad to see the religious composition of Congress more closely reflect the diversity of America. As a queer person, I’m glad that LGBT Americans are seeing greater representation in Washington.

But as a proud atheist and humanist, I’m disheartened that the only member of Congress who openly identifies as nonreligious has forcefully distanced herself from atheism in a way that puts down those of us who do not believe in God.

We are Americans of good character, too.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Chris Stedman.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Politics

soundoff (3,637 Responses)
  1. Clarence

There are quite a few people that feel that subscribing to a certain set of beliefs would not fit them. That's where I fall. I was raised Christian (Baptist), but I realized that I did not agree with the principles taught at my church. I visited many churches and found many different "beliefs" taught at each one. In fact, I couldn't find two that beleived that same thing. This is the issue that I have with saying that I am an atheist or agnostic etc. When you classify yourself as one group, you have to be willing to fit into all the standards of that group (good and bad). I do not think that this is impossible for anyone. Gandhi said that there are as many religions as there are people. This is true. Do you beleive EVERYTHING that anyone you know believes? Think about that before you think that she was wrong to say that classifying herself as an Atheist "is not befitting of her life’s work or personal character. That is reading too far into a simple explanation.

July 29, 2013 at 12:00 pm |
  2. Dave Harris

Whatever she is, she's pretty hot.

July 13, 2013 at 3:55 pm |
  3. rick

rob is indeed hateful n mean, if he was a real christian he would be a compassionate person, not hating atheist or nones,im a christian n i respect nones because they have a right 2 not believe! many hateful words of so called Christians make many don't believe n god as well.

July 9, 2013 at 11:32 pm |
  4. Victor

What a discussion. Heavy!!!

July 2, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
  5. Victor

Wow!!!

July 2, 2013 at 2:17 pm |
  6. Science

The Light...is...Science Wins God Loses | Facebook................from the little blue box.........think outside the box. https://www.facebook.com/ScienceWinsGodLoses "Creationists make it sound like a ‘theory’ is something you ... are all over it. ... that says I must submit to him or suffer agonizing punishment for all time? 8,000,000 results Any time.

Your request was successfully submitted.

Bing will come and visit your site soon. To find out if your site is indexed and receiving traffic from Bing or to submit more URLs, sign up for a free account with

Bing Webmaster Tools

June 9, 2013 at 9:44 am |
  7. Elliott Carlin

There are two tenants to atheism: 1. There is no God, and 2. I hate him.

If you don't believe something exists, why spend so much time spewing hate at others? I don't believe in unicorns. Therefore, I do other things on Saturdays.

Grow up and mend that fence w/your father. Sounds like some people had bad childhoods.

June 9, 2013 at 8:29 am |
    • Richard Cranium

I don't hate god. There are no gods so it is impossible to hate what does not exist.

Do you worship ALL of the thousands of gods that are out there? No? Then you are an atheist too, except for the ONE of the thousands that you think is there.

June 9, 2013 at 8:33 am |
    • Don't be silly

One can't hate something that doesn't exist.

June 27, 2013 at 12:10 am |
    • Elliott Carlin

You should probably get in touch then with Hitchens and ask why he was so angry all of the time....the only time he came remotely close to a smile was when someone in the audience made a penis joke at his expense-then again, where he lives now, his phone has probably melted.

Best give Dawkins a call while you still have him..

June 30, 2013 at 10:54 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Elliot, What utter nonsense. Where do you get your "information"?

July 2, 2013 at 2:23 pm |
    • jc

Way to witness for your lord through sarcasm and hate full words. Did god give you a list of how to rank sin's so that you know these people's sin's are worse than your own? Did he give you the right to question free will? It would appear you believe you were entrusted with judging other's while hating thy neighbors. I'm sorry, butt still after a Christian education I have yet to get to this holier than though approach which is winning so many over. Is it a worse sin to not believe, or believe and witness through hate and anger.

July 11, 2013 at 11:51 pm |
      • Beebop

Thank you for a thoughtful comment. I find discussion with religious people very troublesome most of the time. I am an atheist and if all Christians were like you, I would have very little to complain about.

July 16, 2013 at 1:56 pm |
      • diaphanein

Thank you for such a level headed comment. As an atheist, raised methodist, I appreciate it. I do not get why so many people of varying religions feel the need to try and beat their beliefs into those around them. I thought religion was supposed to be a personal thing, between you and your god(s).

After a youth of studying math and physics, later to become an engineer, I realised there is no "god" after contemplating the turtles problem. Ancients used to think the world stood on the back of a giant turtle. When asked what the turtle stands on, they responded it stands on other turtles, and so forth, hence it's "turtles all the way down". I think modern religion is attempting to answer a similar question: why do we exist? Well, according to christians, god created us in his image. Ok, then why does god exist? What created god? God is a turtle holding up the world by any other name.

Truth is, I don't need a "god" to exist. I know I exist because I do. I couldn't ask the question if I don't exist. I don't know why I exist, but I do. I also don't need religion or a belief in a supernatural being to have a strong moral code. While some religions has some good guiding principles to offer, they tend to have a lot of hate and vitriol towards anyone that doesn't follow exactly what they say.

July 24, 2013 at 6:07 pm |
    • NGT

I have never in my life hated God, or even the idea of at god. I know of no atheists who do hate God. We don't even hate religious people. I think the question is, why are you so afraid of us? Do you think that we might convince others that there is no God? Frankly, if God was real, I would think he would make it obvious. Not obvious in the "everything in nature is proof" way, because that's not obvious at all. Nature is amazing on its own and does not need a deity to make it so. No, I want God to come down, in the flesh, floating on a cloud, on video and with every person on Earth to see. Then again, that would violate the idea of faith. Faith requires people to believe in something that can't be proven. I can't do that, and I would be a hypocrite if I tried.

July 17, 2013 at 1:06 am |
  8. exlonghorn

@mikesyummyrecipes, why is it that you feel enti.tled to invalidate the entire factual argument for evolution, abiogenesis, etc., simply because athiests cannot prove what happens to a "soul" (a dubious concept in itself) after death? Since you can't prove a soul exists, why should I have to prove what happens to that soul after death? Riddle me that, Batman.

June 3, 2013 at 1:18 pm |
  9. Lucifer's Evil Twin

So the gist of this article is that Rep. Kyrsten Sinema is a cowardly sh1t? Ok, i'll agree with that assumption.

May 29, 2013 at 10:13 am |
  10. lou

I pray to the Emperor of Mankind.

In the story he destroys all religions and sets the "Imperial Truth" that is that gods do not exist. Great short story called "The Last Church" explains it.

May 29, 2013 at 9:51 am |
  11. Former News Chick

The beautiful thing about America is that you are free to worship (or, not worship) as you please. Folks get into trouble when they decide that their belief is the only belief and all others must be shunned or "dealt with" in terrible ways. The more we write about differences, segregate people for the purpose of politics by race, color or creed we will continue to perpetuate discrimination and never rid our world of it. So, enough already. Write about how to help people in need, how to get kids to respect and yearn for education and how to assist our elderly so that their final years are not lonely and a misery. Now those are worth our time, energy and treasure.

May 20, 2013 at 5:33 pm |
  12. SEO

SEO by SEOinVancouver.com. SEO http://www.seoinvancouver.com/

May 17, 2013 at 9:35 am |
  13. ohsleepyme

Absence of evidence, is evidence of absence.
    Not sure who said that but it seems legit to me.

May 10, 2013 at 9:55 pm |
    • Bazoing

It is just as silly to believe all this including you experiencing this due to a chance happening in nothingness as it is to believe in an already existing personality (someone already experiencing this). Whether you are an atheist or some other religion, you are none the less believing something for which "no evidence exists". It is hard to say what explains the ultimate origin of whatever. Most physicists have modified some aspect of the big bang as we know it. However, whatever it or its modification is called now, its origin is still unexplained. Is it religion you distrust, or the distortion that was shoved down your throat by relatives, schools, and just plain crooks? Beware of organized religion, but consider the possibilities for a personal approach to religion that includes equity and compassion.

June 15, 2013 at 10:42 pm |
    • James D. Chinn

Christopher Hitchens

June 21, 2013 at 10:23 pm |
  14. Rod

Who says atheism is a dirty word? And why would anyone care what others say, anyway? The people who claim to know "God" the most are the ones to steer clear of in my opinion. To me, it is just as unfruitful and tiring to contemplate the opposite of "God" as it is to contemplate "God." Agnosticism is much easier. The real importance is not what we profess to believe, it is what we actually do believe. As in the Book of James, it is by our works that we are known. Or, to paraphrase Buddha, as we think therefore we do. So, are you kind and helpful to other people? Or, are you self-centered and egotistical? Buddha was asked many questions about the divine and the hereafter. Just as the Pharisees tried to trap Jesus into making claims one way or the other. But like Jesus, Buddha was very wise. He only taught people what they needed to know to cross over the river of self and attain true peace. Simple people do not debate theology. They smile when the son rises and sets, and are thankful for the rain and harvest.

May 8, 2013 at 9:25 pm |
    • cadiwampus

Jesus didn't teach that. He said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No man comes to the Father but by me." John 14: 6 In that singular verse, He eliminated all options by declaring an absolute truth. See John 8: 31-36.

May 10, 2013 at 4:54 pm |
  15. faith

aren't you proud of dodo?

May 4, 2013 at 12:31 pm |
    • faith

i am too smart for you idiots

not even fvcktard by sambo?

May 4, 2013 at 12:37 pm |
    • faith

i prophesied a while ago, our Nazis would never respond to my challenges directly; that they would divert.

still batting 100%

May 4, 2013 at 12:44 pm |
    • Observer

faith,

Like you said, there were no Nazis that answered. That's because there aren't any on here.

Ooops. 100% wrong apparently.

May 4, 2013 at 12:46 pm |
  16. faith

our nazi atheists learned much from the original nazi propagandists. our god-hating demon infested liars expect readers to buy their line that congress is filled with christians to the exclusion of atheists. these fools try to perpetrate this same kind of bull regarding hitler's faith. it never dawns on them that most people are smarter than they are.

May 4, 2013 at 12:28 pm |
    • faith

to wit, saying "i am a christian" means about as much as sambo the pervert saying she doesn't hate god. never occurs to these idiots that saying something and meaning something are different. or, if it does, they don't want you to figure it out.

May 4, 2013 at 12:29 pm |
    • faith

nice touch

test the spirits. try them. many idiots run around preaching garbage. our idiots believe jesus was merely an amalgam of various myths taken from other cultures and fashioned together to make a big political splash 300 years after he was crucified. that is exactly what these morons ram down your throats.

May 4, 2013 at 12:33 pm |
    • faith

collapsing a child's skull by vacuuming the brain from her head to make it easier to flush the child from the birth canal, a spectacular breakthrough in modern medicine? who knows? they shy away from discussing that marvel, or didn't you notice?

May 4, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
    • Observer

faith,

Speaking of being smarter, you might do some reading and learn that Nazis don't exist in any significant numbers today.

Ooops. Your obsession with them is anything but "smart".

May 4, 2013 at 12:36 pm |
    • faith

dorothy says she's a scholar.

May 4, 2013 at 12:38 pm |
    • faith

uh oh. u got me

May 4, 2013 at 12:40 pm |
    • Observer

faith

"big dick nixon wasn't a crook. fdr was not going to involve america in the war overseas.'

Yep. TOTALLY clueless what a Nazi is. Education would help. Why not try it so you don't look so foolish?

May 4, 2013 at 12:43 pm |
    • tallulah13

Insane troll is insane.

May 4, 2013 at 12:51 pm |
    • J

YOU PEOPLE SHOCK ME.. YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO LOVE THY NEIGHBOR ..YOU KEEP CALLING PEOPLE IDIOTS..AND YOU THINK YOUR BETTER.. SAD... NOT CHRISTIAN OR WHATEVER RELIGION YOU ARE... i AM AN ATHEIST AND I TREAT PEOPLE FAIR AND EQUAL AND DONT JUDGE.

May 15, 2013 at 3:27 pm |
      • nam vet

PLEASE EXCUSE THE CAPS –THEY ARE EASY FOR LIMITED SIGHT FOLKS TO USE, HAD YOU SERVED YOUR COUNTRY IN WAR OR JUST SERVED YOUR COUNTRY ON THE HOME FRONT,YOU MIGHT THINK OF FAITH THAT BROUGHT
        SOME OF US HOME TO THE LOVED ONES AND EVEN TO SERVE YOU WITHOUT FAITH. IT IS OK,NO BLAME MEANT–
        THOSE OF FAITH AND BELIEF IN GOD DID SAVE US FOR MORE TO DO IN OUR LIFETIME REMAINING. JUST SAYING --

July 18, 2013 at 12:04 pm |
    • lou

J

They are getting mad that their supposed moral authority is being torn down.

May 29, 2013 at 9:01 am |
    • James D. Chinn

Hitler was a christian and backed by the Roman Catholic Church.

June 21, 2013 at 10:26 pm |
  17. faith

if you refuse to post it, why do u care if its a duplicate, dodo?

May 4, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
  18. Rob

uh, why is the author of this article wearing earrings??

May 4, 2013 at 11:52 am |
    • mnharleyrider

What does his wearing earrings have to do with anything?

May 8, 2013 at 7:54 am |
  19. Rob

NOBODY is an atheist right before they die. FACT.

May 4, 2013 at 11:49 am |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

You know this how exactly? I have it written in my Living Will that any talk of god on my death bed is to be ignored, no minister of any faith is to brought in...I have sat and watched my Mom die...she hallucinated horribly-the human brain goes through changes when faced with death and I don't know anyone who wishes to die, so we conjure up things to try to ease the suffering. The fact is that no-one has ever returned from the dead to tell us if there is life after death and until there is that evidence, there simply is no reason to believe. I'm afraid of the process of dying, not death itself-for all I know nothing further occurs after that and unlike you, I am fine with that.

May 4, 2013 at 12:43 pm |
      • nam vet

LET GOD INTO YOUR LIFE AND YOU WILL HAVE TRIALS OF GOOD AND BAD–YOU ARE GIVEN A CHOICE TO
        DECIDE. WHEN YOU TAKE THE SON OF GOD AS YOUR SAVIOR YOUR LIFE WILL BE FOREVER WHEN YOU DEPART
        THIS LIFE. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN YOUR CHOICE–AS FOR ANYONE. CHOOSE WISELY----

July 18, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
    • tallulah13

Generally when people end their claims with the word "FACT", they are talking out their ass.

May 4, 2013 at 12:50 pm |
    • faith

shortly before he died, with his wife gone, and after a long life dedicated to mocking christians and god, dad received Christ as his savior and he lives in heaven

May 4, 2013 at 3:24 pm |
      • ZenSoapbox

That is a very touching story. It's comforting to know that even on my deathbed I could be welcomed back into the loving arms of Jesus.

August 14, 2013 at 1:49 pm |
    • faith

specifically, when demon possessed, disgusting nazi terrorists speak, they are spewing hateful lies

May 4, 2013 at 3:27 pm |
    • Observer

Rob

It is DELUSIONAL NONSENSE that you claim you know what goes through EVERYONE'S mind before they die.

You don't have clue in the world what the word "FACT" means. Get a dictionary. Pathetic.

May 4, 2013 at 3:31 pm |
    • mikesyummyrecipes

FACT? Well since facts can be backed up by data, we will be anxiously awaiting the results of the studies done on EVERY atheist who has died. Pfft.

May 8, 2013 at 7:48 am |
    • cadiwampus

"The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God.'" Psalm 14: 1 "

May 10, 2013 at 5:01 pm |
    • Atheism is for everyone

And as stupid as your comment is, even if it were true. That would still not be considered evidence of your imaginary friend being real.

May 15, 2013 at 10:51 am |
    • exlonghorn

While you're at it, why don't you disprove any of the observable scientific evidence compiled against the major religions? Can you take curing cancers, for example, and show that it is much more likely the work of a diety than of good doctors and good technology? How about gravity? Evolution?

June 3, 2013 at 1:22 pm |
    • Edward

I have died twice and both times I was STILL an atheist. Fact.

July 9, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
    • Edward

I am an atheist, I have died twice. I was an atheist before, during and after these experiences. By the way, that's one more times than Christ.

August 29, 2013 at 6:37 am |
  20. Science

Free speech helps educate the masses................POLITICIANS too !.............time to EVOLVE !!!

Where do morals come from?

By Kelly Murray, CNN

Gravity is not up for debate !

BY the way ...................Splat goes a fairy in the sky !...............bye bye tinker bell !

Einstein's Gravity Theory Passes Toughest Test Yet..............................E = mc2..........(U–Pb).................two math formulas.

Apr. 25, 2013 — A strange stellar pair nearly 7,000 light-years from Earth has provided physicists with a unique cosmic laboratory for studying the nature of gravity. The extremely strong gravity of a massive neutron star in orbit with a companion white dwarf star puts competing theories of gravity to a test more stringent than any available before

Hey James Madison................religion has none it looks like.............with the comments on this blog.

The Big question is ETHICS ! does religion have any ?

The Ethics of Resurrecting Extinct Species

Apr. 8, 2013 — At some point, scientists may be able to bring back extinct animals, and perhaps early humans, raising questions of ethics and environmental disruption.

April 30, 2013 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |

May 1, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |

Dinosaur Egg Study Supports Evolutionary Link Between Birds and Dinosaurs: How Troodon Likely Hatched Its Young

And NO ANGELS the pope KICKED them OFF the TEAM last year !

From Soup to Cells—the Origin of Life

the wrong path is Adam and Eve !

Human Y Chromosome Much Older Than Previously Thought

Mar. 4, 2013 — The discovery and analysis of an extremely rare African American Y chromosome pushes back the time of the most recent common ancestor for the Y chromosome lineage tree to 338,000 years ago. This time predates the age of the oldest known anatomically modern human fossils.

No god(s) needed or required to graduate from public schools in the US

Remember : Adam had to POKE himself hard with his OWN BONE to create Eve.

No god(s) needed................... Old. DNA works..................also catches crooks !

Ancient DNA Reveals Europe's Dynamic Genetic History

Apr. 23, 2013 — Ancient DNA recovered from a series of skeletons in central Germany up to 7,500 years old has been used to reconstruct the first detailed genetic history of modern Europe.

Ca-nabis and Cannabinoids (PDQ®) – National Cancer Insti-tute

Mar 21, 2013 – [1,2] These plant-derived compounds may be referred to as phytocannabinoids. ... have a protective effect against the development of certain types of tumors. ... In lung cancer cell lines, CBD upregulated ICAM-1, leading to ...

Good stuff !

The fact...............the earth is to old for this nonsemse ! Time to EVOLVE !

Ancient Earth Crust Stored in Deep Mantle

Apr. 24, 2013 — Scientists have long believed that lava erupted from certain oceanic volcanoes contains materials from the early Earth's crust. But decisive evidence for this phenomenon has proven elusive. New research from a team including Carnegie's Erik Hauri demonstrates that oceanic volcanic rocks contain samples of recycled crust dating back to the Archean era 2.5 billion years ago. Their work is published in Nature.

For what...................... ? Make sure to read what the pope said !

Where do morals come from?

By Kelly Murray, CNN

Learning is fun with facts.......................... and facts work when teaching children.

Atheist Prof. Peter Higgs: Stop calling Higgs boson the ‘God particle’

Professor Peter Higgs said recently that there is no God and so people should stop referring to the theoretical partial that
    bears his name as the “God particle.”

Pope praises science, but insists God created world updated Thur October 28, 2010
    Stephen Hawking is wrong, Pope Benedict XVI said Thursday – God did create the universe. The pope didn't actually mention the world-famous scientist, who argues in a book published last month that the laws of physics show there is no need for a supreme... \

Science

Heaven is 'a fairy story,' scientist Stephen Hawking says updated Tue May 17, 2011
    By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor The concept of heaven or any kind of afterlife is a "fairy story," famed British scientist Stephen Hawking said in a newspaper interview this week. "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when...

April 7th, 2012

The Jesus debate: Man vs. myth

Make sure to read comments

April 18, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |

Breaking News

NASA: Three planets found are some of best candidates so far for habitable worlds outside our solar system.

NASA: Mars could have supported life

Star Dust we are

Holy Hallucinations 35

The ORIGIN story is bullsh-it...............so is the bible............... nasty !

From Soup to Cells—the Origin of Life

BBC. Planet of the Apemen. Battle for Earth 1. Ho-mo Erectus

BACKFILL on E =mc2.....

Einstein letter, set for auction, shows scientist challenging idea of God, being 'chosen'

By Jessica Ravitz, CNN

Decades before atheist scientist and author Richard Dawkins called God a "delusion," one world-renowned physicist – Albert Einstein – was weighing in on faith matters with his own strong words.

“The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends,” Einstein wrote in German in a 1954 letter that will be auctioned on eBay later this month. "No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.”

May 4, 2013 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |

Peace

May 4, 2013 at 9:04 am |
    • Rob

You will burn in HELL!

May 4, 2013 at 11:50 am |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

Rob: Do you tell your kids that? Do you not think that's abusive?

May 4, 2013 at 12:44 pm |
    • tallulah13

People like Rob are one of the many reasons that, if I actually believed in a god. I would never be christian. I don't consider such blind, ignorant, almost rote hatred to be moral.

May 4, 2013 at 12:55 pm |
    • old golfer

Come on Rob. There is no hell. Even if there was, what's to burn, a corpse??

June 27, 2013 at 9:34 pm |