home
RSS
January 14th, 2013

Precious relics stolen from church

Relics were taken from a Catholic church in Sainte Genevieve, Missouri. Police say the items may eventually turn up. CNN affiliate KSDK reports.

- A. Hawkins

Filed under: Catholic Church • Missouri

1. Harvey D. Rabbit

So the free will of the robber to take the crap, uh, relics outweigher the free will of the church to keep them.

Apparently only bad people have free will.

January 14, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
    • Albert Camus

"outweigher"?

January 14, 2013 at 4:28 pm |
    • Harvey D. Rabbit

Gosh that hurt. Busted on a typo. My life is ruined.

January 14, 2013 at 4:45 pm |
    • Albert Camus

Not being critical of your point chief, just that word caught my eye.

January 14, 2013 at 5:48 pm |
  2. Age of Reason

...JESUS CHRIST was a mythical political construct copied from the ancient Egyptian religions! "JESUS" never existed!So, therefore, STOP believing in him and start believing in yourself and your community! ....Just like the ancient Roman pagans!

January 14, 2013 at 3:51 pm |
    • Rational Libertarian

Jesus the man probably existed.

January 14, 2013 at 3:53 pm |
    • Jenny Craig's Secret Stash of Twinkies

I agree he probably existed, but nothing else claimed passes the sniff test.

January 14, 2013 at 4:08 pm |
    • Christianity is a form of mental illness- FACT

Rational Libertarian

Jesus the man probably existed.
      Delusional man no doubt that traveled to India then came back even more delusional.

January 15, 2013 at 2:07 pm |
  3. New Athiest

It MUST have been an athiest.
    The church has experiencd professionals who would have covered up any crime commited by a Priest.

January 14, 2013 at 3:26 pm |
    • William Demuth

Well we can check.

If they have anal blood on them then we know it was a priest!

January 14, 2013 at 3:30 pm |
    • New Athiest

I dunno William,
      Not my area of expertise but Blood would suggest an amatuer, wouldn't it?
      We may be dealing with experienced professionals here.

January 14, 2013 at 3:37 pm |
    • sam

No, no way. An atheist would have burst into flames the moment they crossed the threshold.

January 14, 2013 at 3:47 pm |
    • Apatheist

Statistically, atheists commit very few crimes so that is unlikely.

January 14, 2013 at 6:51 pm |
  4. Rational Libertarian

"Police say the items may eventually turn up."

More Naked Gun than Sherlock Holmes.

January 14, 2013 at 2:48 pm |
    • Zingo

Yes, you can tell that the Sainte Genevieve Police are sparing no expense waiting for them to just turn up.

But if they don't turn up, that church can always go back to the thrift shop where they got the first ones and spend another $7.

January 14, 2013 at 3:30 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

"Police are sparing no expense waiting for them to just turn up"

According to the St. Louis Post Dispatch, that's just what happened.

See the post immediately below by 'Update'.

January 14, 2013 at 3:36 pm |
  5. Update

The "relics" have been recovered (Mon. Jan 14, 2013):

January 14, 2013 at 2:40 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Thanks 'Update'

Arielle Hawkins is two for two:

"Relics were taken from a Catholic church in Sainte Genevieve, Missouri. Police say the items may eventually turn up."

Perhaps the most accurate Belief Blog article ever written.

January 14, 2013 at 2:45 pm |
  6. Uncouth Swain

Wow....seems the cold hearted jack@sses are out on this one today.

Guess it's ok to make fun of a group getting robbed as long as it's a group you don't like or agree with.

January 14, 2013 at 2:00 pm |
    • ReligionIsBS

Or if its a group that robs people out of their money by saying if they dont hand it over, the boogey man is gunna torture them for eternity.

January 14, 2013 at 2:09 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

You are ignoring that being robbed is against your will. Giving to a religious organization is not against your will. But don't let details like that get in the way.

January 14, 2013 at 2:27 pm |
    • Actually . . .

Do you have any idea how much of the stuff in the Vatican's museums is stolen? They are full of swag looted by conquerors who payed the vig to the crime lord.

January 14, 2013 at 2:29 pm |
    • Igneous, I rock.

Would you get this worked up if they had stolen L.Ron Hubbard's gold-plated toilet-paper roll holder? No.
      Let's get real, shall we?

January 14, 2013 at 2:32 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

I have no issue making fun of the Catholic Church, they have shown themselves to be completely cold hearted as an organization. Time and time again their actions have shown their beliefs are more important than people, the idea that they "care" is a facade.

January 14, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
    • ReligionIsBS

Uncouth Swain,
      So are you saying that nobody has ever gone to jail for swinddling (legally taking) someone out of their money? The prisons are filled with people that would like to talk to you.

January 14, 2013 at 2:45 pm |
    • End Religion

let me get this right, Swain, an organization cons billions of dollars from millions of people, murders millions of people over a couple thousand years, and I am supposed to feel sorry they lost a couple fake bone fragments which only serve to further their scam?

January 14, 2013 at 3:32 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

Blessed are the Cheesemakers- "I have no issue making fun of the Catholic Church,"

Hey, if these "relics" where stolen by the church from someone else and that organization was just taking them back...I won't say much against that. But this isn't that case. It's morally wrong to be happy when bad things happen to ppl where they did nothing wrong to deserve it.

January 14, 2013 at 4:35 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

ReligionIsBS- "So are you saying that nobody has ever gone to jail for swinddling.."

I said nothing of the sort and neither did you till now. You are implying a promise of goods or services for cash. This isn't the case with what we are talking about.

January 14, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

End Religion- "let me get this right, Swain, an organization cons billions of dollars from millions of people,"

I don't know anything about a con. I do know that from the donations made by members of the faith, they maintain their facilities, charities and support structure. No one is promising them something for cash.

"murders millions of people over a couple thousand years,"

Quite irrelevant to this topic. Unless you think the members of this exact church in question are responsible for every death attributed by you from the Catholic Church. But with that kind of thinking, African Americans could rob every single white citizen up for reparations.

"and I am supposed to feel sorry they lost a couple fake bone fragments which only serve to further their scam?"

I would think you would feel a little sorry for the loss of something that was theirs and important to them.

January 14, 2013 at 4:42 pm |
    • End Religion

@NontoothedSwain: "No one is promising them something for cash."

While they are indeed promised a flood of blessings by their god, the concerning thing is that they are threatened with a curse if they don't. More coercion. While "a curse" is childish, the whole thing is. So if they buy the childish imaginary god then they buy the curse and the coercion. Shameful, really.
      Malachi 3:8–10

***
      "Unless you think the members of this exact church in question are responsible for every death attributed by you from the Catholic Church. But with that kind of thinking, African Americans could rob every single white citizen up for reparations."

No, by my logic, mixed with your poorly drawn "parallel," I do not need to feel overly concerned if one African American steals a deck of Tarot cards from a slave owner who practices Fortune Telling. I wouldn't. No crime is good but some seem less tragic from a karma perspective.

January 14, 2013 at 5:41 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

"While they are indeed promised a flood of blessings by their god, the concerning thing is that they are threatened with a curse if they don't."

I doubt you are going to find much to support that notion. You also seem more against prosperity religion than that of the Catholic Church.

"No crime is good but some seem less tragic from a karma perspective."

And what bad karma did this church in Sainte Genevieve, Missouri exactly do that makes their robbery "less tragic"?

January 14, 2013 at 5:52 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

"Are you holding this very church responsible for everything that the Catholic Organization has done? Are you justifying something wrong because of complaints you have that have nothing to do with this robbery?"

Uncouth,

I am not justifing it nor am I condoning it. But it is like when a bully trips and falls, it doesn't bother me in the least that he got hurt. And this individual church supports, and is a part of a corrupt and immoral organization that has caused untold hurt and harm on innocent people around the world and continues to do so.....excuse me if I don't shed a tear.

January 14, 2013 at 7:38 pm |
    • Christianity is a form of mental illness- FACT

No tear shed hear. I wonder how many victims (children) there are from this church?

January 15, 2013 at 2:12 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

" I wonder how many victims (children) there are from this church?"

None, unless you have an annoying thing called facts to counter it.

January 15, 2013 at 2:17 pm |
  7. ReligionIsBS

I know what hapened. A priest actually listened to that jesus character for once and sold all of his possessions and gave it to the poor. LOL! We all know that wouldnt ever happen. "Pray for the poor, while I hold this gold cross."

January 14, 2013 at 1:25 pm |
    • Zingo

You aeiTheieiost swine!!!! Everyone knows that selling your goods and giving the money to the poor is part of the loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong list of OPTIONAL rules for Christians.

The only mandatory rules are the ones we tell you to do.

January 14, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

yeah, i noticed that about christians. all their 'rules' are optional. the ones they follow are the ones they agree with. funny that...

January 14, 2013 at 1:47 pm |
  8. Mohammad A Dar

Atheist don't care, so gotta be Evangelic goon

January 14, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
  9. Bootyfunk

by 'ancient relics', they meant tools used to sodomize boys in the dark ages.

January 14, 2013 at 1:02 pm |
    • Zingo

Oh no, these were REAL pieces of the ACTUAL cross, and bits of the ACTUAL spear that stabbed the ACTUAL Jesus, and the ACTUAL mummified colon of John the Baptist!!!

All bought from the Vatican during the heyday of Catholicism's relic scam, uh, sale.

January 14, 2013 at 1:28 pm |
  10. truth be told

Atheists are all liars all the time. By recognizing the so called atheist as a liar all their comments on these blogs are put in a proper perspective.

January 14, 2013 at 12:15 pm |
    • Pete

"Atheists are all liars all the time. "

more lying xtians – 101!

January 14, 2013 at 12:16 pm |
    • hal 9001

I'm sorry "truth be told", but your repeated assertions regarding atheism are unfounded. Using my Idiomatic Expression Equivalency module (IEE), the expression that best matches the degree to which your assertions may represent truths is: "CHRONIC TOTAL FAIL – EMBARRASSINGLY STUPID".

January 14, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
    • William Demuth

I am an athiest, and I am lying to you now.

January 14, 2013 at 12:58 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

truth be told is always right.....and I am an atheist.

January 14, 2013 at 1:09 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

it's hard for Truth to understand the actual truth because he is in a religious cult. religious cults, like christianity, fill their followers' heads with ridiculous stories with people walking on water and talking snakes. as most atheists know, it's hard to break the chains of mental programming. the religious are taught NOT to think for themselves - just obey. so Truth is just obeying his cult masters by spreading this garbage.

January 14, 2013 at 1:10 pm |
    • Really??

Actually TBT is just a troll. If he were a christian, he would be much more subtle in his condemnation.

January 14, 2013 at 1:12 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

@really
      lol, what makes you say that?

January 14, 2013 at 1:16 pm |
    • Really??

Because he is up here all the time, and plays under several names, often arguing with himself. He posts the most outlandish things he can think of to see what reaction he can get. Some type of personal psychological experiment. Just ignore it, you can't really respond to someone when all they are doing is seeing what response they can get out of you.
      Don't play with that dirty troll, you"ll catch something.

January 14, 2013 at 1:30 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

ew, troll gonorrhea

January 14, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
    • truth be told

I am one individual who thinks for himself and I have recognized the flaw in all so called atheist language, they are all liars all the time. It is important that normal decent people are made aware of this fact so that all atheist lies can be seen in their proper context.

January 14, 2013 at 3:39 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@tbt,

what's the 'atheist language'? Is that something like Esperanto?

January 14, 2013 at 3:40 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

truth be toled made another excellent point.

January 14, 2013 at 3:52 pm |
  11. Science

Facts work best anyway. Oldest rock , 4.4 billion years old tells story, it is called geology.

January 14, 2013 at 11:15 am |
  12. Chick-a-dee

Could our CNN representative please explain why the corp. bothers to publish TOS for use of the blog space if it does not intend on EVER enforcing it?

January 14, 2013 at 10:54 am |
    • midwest rail

Does that include swearing in Italian ?

January 14, 2013 at 10:56 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

We have a representative? Was he/she elected or appointed, Chicky?

January 14, 2013 at 10:59 am |
    • End Religion

Hypocrisy at its finest, chicky. You must be religious.

January 14, 2013 at 11:00 am |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

January 14, 2013 at 11:19 am |
    • kirk1

Their idols are silver and gold, The work of the hands of earthling man. A mouth they have, but they cannot speak;
      Eyes they have, but they cannot see; Ears they have, but they cannot hear. A nose they have, but they cannot smell.
      Hands are theirs, but they cannot feel. Feet are theirs, but they cannot walk;
      They utter no sound with their throat. Those making them will become just like them,
      All those who are trusting in them.

January 14, 2013 at 11:58 am |
    • Billy Snortsniffle, Outraged Christian

I hate it when CNN doesn't remove the posts of people who don't agree with me, and Chicky obviously feels the same way. THough Chicky has some minor theological differences, and should be banned too.

At least God will do some serious eternal Auschwitz stuff on people who don't agree with me. It's the love He has.

January 14, 2013 at 1:24 pm |
    • Chick-a-dee

@ midwest rail:
      "Does that include swearing in Italian ?"
      As a matter of fact it does.

@Blessed are the Cheesemakers:
      "Just out of curiosity what comment bothers you? I don't see any that should cause any concern unless you don't like people putting down supersti.tions."
      It wasn't a particular comment that bothered me when I posted this. Rather, it is the cu.mulative effect of the ongoing ill-mannered, boorish, insolent comments that appear here, especially since the offending parties make this incivility the norm. Have you become desensitised to this churlish that it no longer offends? Or, is courteousness such a rare commodity that neither you or anyone else is disturbed by the frequency of offensive comments that are presented? This morning, from the first post at 7:56 until my comment at 10:54 not a single sentence was positive or even neutral. It was a constant barrage of negativity. This example is certainly not unique as the permeating negativity on this discussion forum penetrates nearly every thread on almost every article.
      I am annoyed with myself for sinking, more often than I care to admit, to the level of the lowest common denominator.

January 15, 2013 at 2:07 am |
  13. IAM

Thou shall not worship an IDOL.

January 14, 2013 at 10:42 am |
    • Zingo

I agree. Billy Idol SUCKED!!!!

January 14, 2013 at 1:24 pm |
  14. doctore0

They are like Gollum: My precious, my precious crapola

January 14, 2013 at 10:34 am |
  15. End Religion

note to thief: next time steal all the priests instead

January 14, 2013 at 10:31 am |
  16. Tellem

Garbage, so precious, should be interred at your local landfill, not put on display in your rotten church.

January 14, 2013 at 10:25 am |
  17. Milton

January 14, 2013 at 10:24 am |
  18. Banjo Ferret

Silly false religions and their shiny objects. You can't take riches with you on the Great Energy Bubble Ride. Ferretianism is the one true religion. Repent! (banjoferret d c)

January 14, 2013 at 10:19 am |
  19. William Demuth

I have been told that Germany bans the collection of Nazi memorabilia.

I look forward to the US taking a similar position with Christian chachkis once we have finished evolving.

Whomenever stole, please serve a greater good and destroy it.

January 14, 2013 at 8:46 am |
    • You twit

"we have finished evolving."

Are you that stupid? Do I even have to explain to a so called atheist who believes in evolution why this statement is ignorant?

January 14, 2013 at 5:55 pm |
    • The Rev. Marcus Goodswell

Leave it to a believer to take his statement literally:) – pretty sure the evolution he speaks of is a specific social evolution- once we give up religions...then that would be the end of that social construct now wouldnt it?:)

January 14, 2013 at 9:47 pm |
    • You Twit

Marcus, you don't come on here much do you? Trust me...he screwed up on his wording.

January 15, 2013 at 2:14 pm |
  20. Reality

Relics?? The only relic is the Catholic/Christian religion. Said stolen relics have no value considering the "fems" (flaws, errors, muck and stench) of all religions.

January 14, 2013 at 7:56 am |