home
RSS
Godless mom strikes a chord with parents
January 18th, 2013

Godless mom strikes a chord with parents

By Daphne Sashin, CNN

Then, she says, the recruiting started.

It starts:

Others said Mitchell presented a simplistic view of religion.

She ended her essay:

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Christianity • iReport

soundoff (15,081 Responses)
  1. The Real Marie

Why do some think that the question-asker looks more stupid than the ones who can't answer the questions?

January 25, 2013 at 6:53 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

Because the "question-asker" is asking stupid questions.

January 25, 2013 at 6:56 pm |
    • The Real Marie

Maybe because you never answer questions like "Why does your god starve thousands of childern to death each day?"

January 25, 2013 at 7:33 pm |
    • lol??

Don't ask me.

January 26, 2013 at 2:05 am |
  2. The Real Marie

Why is Ricky so icky?

January 25, 2013 at 6:43 pm |
    • ricky

i am getting screened for no reason

January 25, 2013 at 6:45 pm |
    • Helper

ricky,

No, you are not being screened. I gave you advice below, which you seem to be ignoring - much as you seem to ignore reality in general.

January 25, 2013 at 6:49 pm |
    • lol??

For a nit wicky, you sure are picky.

January 26, 2013 at 8:10 am |
  3. The Real Marie

Why is someone being so villainous, mischievous, sneaky, imposturous, and deceptive as to impersonate me?
    You already have a bad image as it is, so why make it any worse?

January 25, 2013 at 6:40 pm |
    • Smite Them

Yes, The Real Marie, I wish they'd stop it. You do a fine, authentic job at making yourself look like a doofus all by yourself.

January 25, 2013 at 6:45 pm |
  4. Marie

I am a troll for Jesus.

January 25, 2013 at 6:20 pm |
    • Susan StoHelit

You're a troll for CNN – they're the one's benefitting. Their marketing department thanks you, Belief Blog thanks you, and as an atheist who would love a lot more articles like this, I thank you.

January 25, 2013 at 6:24 pm |
    • ricky

@ susan surandan do you work for cnn?

January 25, 2013 at 6:34 pm |
    • COPPA

ricky,

Are you old enough to be posting on a public forum?

January 25, 2013 at 6:41 pm |
    • ricky

January 25, 2013 at 6:47 pm |
    • Susan StoHelit

I just appreciate some nice irony. The people most upset by this, are also promoting it and paying for it.

January 28, 2013 at 3:45 pm |
  5. ricky

@ hmmm funny the earth a globe? prov 8:26-27 Isaiah 40:22 earth on axis rotation Job 38:12-14 hangs in space Job 26:7

26 While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world.

27 When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:
    2 It is he who sits above the circle of the earth,
    and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers;
    who stretches out the heavens like a curtain,
    and spreads them like a tent to dwell in;
    It is changed like clay under the seal,
    and its features stand out like a garment.
    (job 38:14 look up a commentary on that)
    26:7He stretches out the north over the void
    and hangs the earth on nothing.
    Jeremaih 33:22 22 As the host of heaven cannot be numbered and the sands of the sea cannot be measured, so I will multiply the offspring of David my servant, and the Levitical priests who minister to me.”

keppler and ptolomies thought there were 1,055 telescope 1600's
    21st century science IS STARTING TO CATCH UP

January 25, 2013 at 5:55 pm |
    • Check

"It is he who sits above the circle of the earth,
      and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers;"

At what alti'tude do people look the size of grasshoppers? Maybe you would see that at 1,000 – 2,000 feet ... just like some old Middle Eastern Hebrew guys did when they climbed a nearby mountain, where they also turned completely around in a circle seeing the horizon 360 degrees around them. Complete bunk as far as proving that they knew anything special or prescient.

January 25, 2013 at 6:16 pm |
    • Check

And while you're looking up Job 38, how about those storehouses in the sky where hail and snow are kept?! That is not how snow and hail develop.

January 25, 2013 at 6:20 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

More baseless, revisionist interpretations of the babble from liberal christian kooks. I respect nutty fundies like L4H more than liars like you.

January 25, 2013 at 6:25 pm |
    • ricky

yes there are store houses up there, they are way up there.

January 25, 2013 at 6:32 pm |
  6. Marie

Why did god create cancers?

January 25, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
    • ricky

what do you believe?

January 25, 2013 at 6:12 pm |
  7. Marie

Why does god kill thousands of children daily by starvation?

January 25, 2013 at 5:41 pm |
    • IKnow

The answer they will give you is because man sinned and brought the evil into the world. They won't blame their God for it. Just wait for the excuses to come.....

January 25, 2013 at 5:44 pm |
    • ricky

why are there people in that region where they are starving? how did they get there? 2 billion people starving? is the soil quality great? they definately seem to be born in the wrong place at the wrong time. should bill gates and warren buffet have so much money sitting in the bank.. should anyone? should we complain if we make 15k a year? (90% percentile)

January 25, 2013 at 6:17 pm |
  8. ricky

22 And Samuel said, Hath the Lord as great adelight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the bvoice of the Lord? Behold, to cobey is better than dsacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of erams.

23 For arebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and bstubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast crejected the word of the Lord, he hath also drejected thee from being king.

January 25, 2013 at 5:34 pm |
    • Check

What's that dreck supposed to be...?

January 25, 2013 at 5:38 pm |
  9. ricky

God said let there be light, and so it was so. and therfore just because it is here now doesnt mean you can calculate the earth to be billions of years old. He put it in place fully functional so we didnt have to wait for it to get here. what is the half life of uranium?

January 25, 2013 at 5:31 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Ahh, you believe in a god trying to trick us....and then punishes us fo non-belief. You worship an asshat, have fun with that.

January 25, 2013 at 6:52 pm |
  10. ricky

the sacrifices didnt please God. they werent for him. Adam was told that He would perish if he ate it.

January 25, 2013 at 5:25 pm |
  11. ricky

these people screening the debate, cheeters

January 25, 2013 at 5:23 pm |
    • Helper

ricky,

There are no screeners here. Look back on page #108 for a list of some words that the auto filter snags.

January 25, 2013 at 5:32 pm |
  12. NGB4M

Why did the creator of all things need animals sacrificed to him? We find the idea repugnant today, do we not? We live on a planet which orbits a star (along with other bodies). That star is one of billions in a galaxy that is one of billions (hundreds of billions actually). Weird and wondrous objects exist in the universe, some of which could wipe us out if they ever came near enough or were oriented just the right way. The earth is several billions of years old and many life forms have come and gone in that time. And all just to get to one moment in history. Couldn't god have built a much simpler universe if that's what it was all about. One like we find in biblical times when people thought the heavens (and god) were up there. Imagine yourself out in space (but still able to view the earth) and, keeping in mind our current understanding of cosmology, read your bible. God smelling the pleasant odors of the sacrifice, angels coming and going to and from heaven, jesus ascending to heaven and (some day) returning. Sorry, it's just too much for me.

January 25, 2013 at 4:27 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Yep. Old world mythology matches with old world astronomy. Nowadays the christians have to stretch their metaphors past their breaking point. It all seems a bit too silly for me to believe.

January 25, 2013 at 4:31 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Sorry, old world mythology matches with old world cosmology.

January 25, 2013 at 4:34 pm |
    • hmmm..funny

Yes...all powerful omnisient creator....but seemingly unaware of a world outside of a small area of the middle east...and never mentions that is is indeed a globe – this I thing would have been of great importance.

January 25, 2013 at 5:12 pm |
  13. revivedromanempire

2 Peter 3:3-6 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,

4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation. (uniformitarianism)

5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:

6 Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:

we are so scientifically accurate through the discovery of Lyell and Hutton, that we will assume peter is a fraud and that the 18th century was not seventeen hundred years or so after Peter didnt pridict uniformitarianism.

January 25, 2013 at 3:55 pm |
    • Bet

Posting the same stupid drivel under multiple names doesn't make it true.

January 26, 2013 at 1:18 am |
  14. NGB4M

Abraham should of said no! If you think your god wants you to off one of your children, it's time to get a different god. If you think your god wants you to own slaves or treat people as lesser beings because of their color, it's time to get a different god. If you think god sanctions theft of land and genocide, it's time to get a different god. If you think your god wants people of other faiths or even people within your own to be tortured and killed, it's time to get a different god. If you believe in witches and think your god wants you to kill them, it's time to get another god. All of these things happened in the name of the christian god. People with jesus in their hearts acting like barbarians. People always say atheism will lead to anarchy, but people believing they are god's chosen, or that they're somehow special and forgiven has led to many horrific acts.

January 25, 2013 at 3:51 pm |
    • revivedromanempire

If you hate God, you are under THE CURSE, fourth commandment. and your generations likely will be to because of you.
      God promised Abraham that they would be inflicted and in slavery for 400 years due to the lineages of Cain who murdered his brother and split. your assumption about "wanted him to kill his son is inaccurate" God hated child sacrifice (Baal worship, passing your children through the fire.......perverted mimicry) God instructs slaves to obey and not kill their masters in the new testament, old testament was a whole different ballgame and slavery and assimilation had major reasons as to why they took place. your moralization of the way you treat people doesn change history. it doesnt make God or Christ the minister of sin. what you dont understand is that, what matters is being enslaved to sin which brings spiritual death. are you free from the bondage of sin? you should enslave yourself to the cross, and your children. that would be righteouss or certainly a step towards that. Having Israel assimilate other cultures was an act of mercy and grace. There were times where God chose to flood it out, and other times where he cut off a dead brance or arm of gangrene to make the tree bear stronger fruit.

January 25, 2013 at 4:12 pm |
    • Susan StoHelit

And what type of person would curse an innocent child just because of what great grandpa did? The child didn't do it! Another example of the very sick god created by the bible.

January 28, 2013 at 3:47 pm |
  15. Marie

Why not a hyperlink to the answer to the question "why is there matter?"?

January 25, 2013 at 3:14 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

Why do you enjoy trolling?

January 25, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
    • Noneya

Which came first..the Hawaii-troll or the Marie-troll?

January 25, 2013 at 4:25 pm |
    • lol??

Does it matter?

January 26, 2013 at 1:59 am |
  16. Marie

Why curse the darkness when you can light a candle instead?
    Why curse those you consider ignorant when you can enlighten them instead?
    Why not take the time and make the effort to enlighten them if it means that much to you for them not to be ignorant?
    Why curse them for being ignorant if you won't even make the effort to enlighten them, even after they have earnestly and repeatedly asked you to do so?

January 25, 2013 at 2:31 pm |
    • TANK!!!!

Answer: The INTERNET!

They are privileged enough to have direct acce-ss to the greatest compendium of information in the history of mankind. Being as ignorant as these religious kooks are while still having ready access to the internet is unacceptable. If they were truly interested in having answers to their questions and assessing evidence that opposes their preconceived conclusions, they would not be here spouting young earth creationist propaganda from the 19th Century.

All we should do is insult and shame them in the slim hope that they will be magically jolted out of their stupidity.

January 25, 2013 at 2:40 pm |
    • revivedromanempire

tank, i can honestly tell that you have a fantasitic personality!!!!!!!!!!!! have a great day. let the light shine.

January 25, 2013 at 2:59 pm |
    • hmmm..funny

lol TANK!!!!

actually the best we can hope for is to use common sense, logic and science and hpefully create such a contrast with the Religious and it will cause questions in the minds of those reading who are on the fence so to speak. the True Believers we will never sway...they are deathly afraid of disobeying their Dear Leader. on a related note Used Car Salesmen stand in awe of the line of utter bs the Churches have managed to frightnen the masses into believing.

January 25, 2013 at 3:07 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

@Marie,

The question "Why?" is one of the most primitive questions a person can ask. We learn it at our earliest ages. My 3-year old is going through a big "why" phase currently. After "What?" it may be one of the youngest of the questions. This is not a judgment. It is a beautiful question and we should continue to ask it. But in doing so, we should realize that any "Why" answer without direct causal evidence is merely speculation and has very limited merit outside of mental gymnastics.

As Lawrence Krauss points out, a far better question to ask is "How?" These questions lead to real definitive constructs and explanations of the world around us. Try it sometime.

If you want to stick with "Why?", join a philosophy class and present your own philosophical position for review. You'll find though that in the world of science, as in questions about stars, quasars, galaxies, etc., "why" has very little value to we the responders.

January 25, 2013 at 4:21 pm |
  17. lol??

The wee "wegod" is all about being a fwaidy cat and that explains the A&A's penchant for mob worship.....contrast...."Luk 10:19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you."

January 25, 2013 at 1:39 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Your religion is completely built on guilt and fear.

January 25, 2013 at 2:10 pm |
    • lol??

cheesie, your political machines are " completely built on guilt and fear." What a way to rule. Disarm the people who cling to their Bibles. It's the commie mommie way.

January 25, 2013 at 3:22 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

I don't have a political machine, you are a fruit cake.

January 25, 2013 at 4:19 pm |
    • lol??

Cheesie, you have da machines whether you want em or not. You are a cheesecake.

January 26, 2013 at 1:45 am |
  18. alienshark

plot

January 25, 2013 at 1:16 pm |
  19. religious mimicry

what you are wanting is that God , instead of providing salvation through the law revealing sin, that He should have just shut up and completely abandoned the world to sin. What was going on between Adam and Abraham? there was a flood for some reason, for one. God plainly states in Gen 15:14 Abraham and his descendants would be enslaved and afflicted for four hundred years, but that there would be the beginning of judgment. Had it no been for language being split up at the tower of Babel, and the flood, this world would be exponentially evil. I am thankful for Gods intervention in my life due to articles like that of AM coffee, the covenant that God made with government, to suppress the effects of evil. Evil has highjacked peace in the name of God many times, and for that I am sorry for all the confusion. I am not proud of anything that has to be secular because it is over run with evil and deception.

January 25, 2013 at 12:02 pm |
    • Damocles

So deities make pacts with governments?

How does that work? The deity states that the government has to appease its hunger for souls through a set number of wars in its name and it provides peace and prosperity to that government?

January 25, 2013 at 12:07 pm |
    • religious mimicry

God keeps a rule over all people to supress the genocidal evil of anarchy and hatred. all things are in a procession of evil as this world is ruled by Satan. and as you can see there is a faithful remnant of spiritual life. Authenticated by the Holy Spirit. I cant prove it to you, especially if you dont understand the concept of evil , which is the rejection of God in the heart of man.

I personally have to seek for faith and strength every day,and I rejoice in knowing that the Lord has intervened in a fallen world. I cant quit on God just because the world hates him. I dont want to send my kids to the public schools because of the wicked depravity and rejection of God, and the indoctrination of evil an hellish deceit. it smells like death. rotten.

January 25, 2013 at 12:39 pm |
    • Check

religious mimicry,

Are you aware of the definition and connotations of the word "mimicry"? It means deception (often as a parody or mocking for entertainment).

January 25, 2013 at 12:55 pm |
    • religious mimicry

ya i realize that , i bring it to mind as i talk about Abraham beacause of the deception that "abrahamic religions" are borrowed myths. religious mimicry began right when the Angel fell out of heaven . The gospel of John clarifies that the creator in Genesis was Jesus, which is why in Genesis the word for "God" is plural...so the angels knew who and what he was. because He was in the beginning and all souls were made through Him.

January 25, 2013 at 1:03 pm |
    • hmmm..funny

"i bring it to mind as i talk about Abraham beacause of the deception that "abrahamic religions" are borrowed myths."

Oh but it is, religious:) the Israelites being nomadic and based on tribes meant that they traveled around the region and came into contact with the other cultures....the gods of egypt and babylon threatened the power of the tribal priests and one faction belonging to Yahweh upped the stakes and stamped out the other Isreali Gods, and when that was done, the priests of Yahweh clamped down hard...He wasnt just a war god anymore...he was the One God....read the commandments, Idols and other Gods are forbidden.. total respect is demanded ...and the priests made the penalies quite severe.

as to the borrowing... see Osirus (died and resurrected) The epic of Gilgamesh (great flood) and several other aspects were barrowed.... Was a game of one upsmanship....had to keep people in line...worked well, too well....

January 25, 2013 at 2:06 pm |
    • Eagle Eye

religious mimicry,

You seem to be trying to mimic a person with a sane, functioning brain.

You stand out like a sore thumb.

January 25, 2013 at 2:26 pm |
    • mimicry

whatever nimrod. osiris gilgamesh....check out the tom horn videos on appoloyon rising and chuck missler on NATO on youtube.

January 25, 2013 at 2:30 pm |
    • mimicry

your blunder in following the decieit fails to recognize evil, and the angels who fell away , who were Created by Jesus, and know what their false religion was about. confusing people... there can only be one God and he atoned for the souls of men. do you notice the problem with mankind on the face of the earth? its because of religious mimicry.

January 25, 2013 at 2:35 pm |
    • hmmm..funny

No, its the product of bronge age philosophies colliding with 20th/21st century science. You are aware you live in the 21st centuy right?

January 25, 2013 at 2:52 pm |
    • lol??

Sure enuff, Hfunnie, people are really gettin' nasty while progressing.

January 26, 2013 at 1:56 am |
  20. religious mimicry

Father Abraham had many sons, and a true seed of spiritual life, blessed by Melchizedek. God CAME TO US, and made a covenant with Abraham, that He has fulfilled.

January 25, 2013 at 10:42 am |
    • some schmuck

Abraham was an evil evil man. If a voice speaking to me told me to kill my daughter (I don't have a son), I would refuse.

Of course, that's the difference between morality and religion. Morality is doing what is right regardless of what you're told. Religion is doing what you're told regardless of what is right.

January 25, 2013 at 10:50 am |
    • religious mimicry

Abraham had allready been promised and spoken with God as there was a "direct revelation to the old prophets", this probably got Abrahams attention. God came and made a blood covenant where they dug a pit and cut a bull in half the long way, and Abraham walked throught the pit, and God did to. God made good on His promise in many ways to Abraham, and had Abraham had to go thorough with slaying Isaac, he knew His son would be glorified in heavan. Jehovah Jirah, the Lord Provides, had a ram caught in the thicket for shadowing Christ, the Lamb. and that is truly the whole entire thing, is that this fleshly life means nothing but a chance to serve God's purpose. You would not say no had there been a direct revelation to you. However, there has been the indirect revealed word.

January 25, 2013 at 10:58 am |
    • meifumado

Please seek help for your mental problems

January 25, 2013 at 11:01 am |
    • some schmuck

I don't care that the your evil god supposedly gave Abraham a ram to take Isaacs's place. The story is a story of evil. It is not one to look to for any sort of guidance.

I have a child. I love my child. No matter who threatened me with any sort of torture, I would never place a knife to her throat as a child sacrifice.

It's not "faith in god." It's simple morality. In the story, Abraham lacks it. He lacks it because he thought for even a second about obeying the voice in his head telling him to kill his son.

January 25, 2013 at 11:03 am |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Poe

January 25, 2013 at 11:29 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

For the record, I would say no.

January 25, 2013 at 11:34 am |
    • NOT just some Schmuck

Schmuck,

Your morality vs. religion quote is priceless. Thank you.

January 25, 2013 at 11:39 am |
    • Susan StoHelit

How messed up, for life, would you be, if your father came up to you, took you out to the wilderness, and tried to murder you? Planned to do it, was going to do it, only didn't do it because someone else stopped him? Just the fact that he didn't doesn't mean everything is now hunky dory!

That's a sick story about a sick man, and an even sicker god. To tell someone to do that as a loyalty test is horrendeous!

January 25, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
    • lol??

Ol' Abe, the father of faith, knew he could trust God to bring the lad back to life. Notice also the crown of thorns the ram got tangled up with.

January 26, 2013 at 1:53 am |