home
RSS
Former Saint and Super Bowl great discusses new book, the big game, father's struggles and God
Chris Reis, right, and his father Mike share a story of redemption in their new book.
February 1st, 2013

By Jordan Hultine, CNN

Atlanta (CNN) - As the 49ers and Ravens take the field in New Orleans’ Super Dome for Super Bowl XLVII, a man very familiar with that field, Chris Reis, will be watching the game with his family.

It was only three years ago that Reis was playing in the big game for the New Orleans Saints. He burst into the national spotlight with one unusual, but game-changing play, an onside kick recovery that surprised the opposition and many say paved the path for the Saints’ 31-17 victory over the Indianapolis Colts.

It was an unlikely position for a kid who grew up in a broken family, with a father who was in and out of his life and addicted to sex and alcohol. Reis broke through the obstacles to succeed, he says, in part by finding God in high school. He went on to play for Georgia Tech where he served as president of the school’s Fellowship of Christian Athletes. He was briefly signed as a free agent by the Atlanta Falcons, but the team cut him loose before he even saw field time. The Saints then signed him as a free agent, but sent him to play in the NFL Europe league. Later that year the team called him back to New Orleans where he played the next four years with the Saints.

His father, Mike Reis, finally broke the cycle of addiction after watching his son make that critical Super Bowl play – and realizing how much he’d overcome to get there. The pair is now closer than ever and recently co-wrote a book about their journey, “Recovery of a Lifetime.” They also share their stories, touring around the country as inspirational speakers.

Chris Reis sat down with CNN to talk about the book and his life experiences. Here are excerpts from that interview:

CNN: What was it like walking onto the field at the Super Bowl?

Reis: You never think you’re going to play in the Super Bowl, so walking onto the field, it just felt so surreal to me. I actually didn’t know if I was going to play the night before. I was the special teams guy, back up safety. So some games I would be up, some days I would be down – active, inactive. When they told me, “You’re up, you’re dressing,” little did I know … the onside kick would play a huge role in it.

CNN: How did it feel when people called you a hero of the game?

Reis: I don’t think I consider myself a hero. … I just felt more thankful that I could be a part of something so great. To me I was just doing my job. For people to call me a hero, of course that makes me feel good, it makes me feel like I’ve helped them and that’s what I wanted to do. But hero is such a strong word. 9/11 firefighters and policemen are heroes; I just covered up a ball. I helped win a game.

In a play his team called the "ambush," Chris Reis recovered an onside kick and steered the Saints to a Super Bowl victory.

CNN: You write in the book you were expecting a big change after the Super Bowl, but what happened?

Reis: I think in today’s culture, everything is wrapped up in what we do, and I call it, “the next thing dilemma.” If I can just get that promotion, if I can just get on TV, if I can just win a Super Bowl, if I can just make more money. We’re always battling and hoping that next thing is going to satisfy us.

I think I had bought into society’s lie and built it up in my mind. I guess I expected a little more out of it, and now it’s like: What do I do? What is God calling me to do in my life? I really struggled for that off-season just finding purpose.

My purpose wasn’t really to win a Super Bowl. My purpose was my relationships within that season and what it really meant to us, but it took me a while to really understand that. And when people are harping at you that you’re a hero and that you won the Super Bowl and you have this ring, you kind of get this pride built up. And I’m like, well if that’s all this life is about, then it’s kind of sad.

I realize now that God has given me this gift of this onside kick and this semi-fame to be able to leverage it for his kingdom. To me, I can’t think of a better way to help people, to help people to understand our identity is not wrapped up in what we do, but (in) who we are and whose we are.

CNN: Your dad shares some incredible stories in the book. What was it like to learn so much about his sex and alcohol addiction?

Reis: No kid should know that much about their parents, and it was really hard writing this book because of that. There (were) a lot of emotional times. I knew a lot of what my dad did - didn’t know the extent of it - but it was really tough for us. It was tough for my dad to put that stuff in there. It doesn’t make him look good at all, let’s be realistic. But I think it shows the redemption, the recovery part of it. That’s the true recovery. We don’t ever try to tell people this is a sports book, because that’s not what it is. It’s a father-son book that just tells a story of redemption and how God’s love can fill any void in your life and can help restore relationships and redeem them. He did that through us.

CNN: Was the Super Bowl play the catalyst for your dad to quit drinking?

Reis: It wasn’t necessarily that play that inspired him, but it was more the significance of that play. It was really a recovery of “Wow, look how far Chris has come, and I claim to be a Christian, and I act this way.”

I think it helped inspire him. He’s an addiction coach now, helping people with substance abuse, and it’s amazing to see that.  Everyone has their own catalyst. Everyone has their own, “I need to look back in my life and see what I need to change.” My dad’s was my life and this play. It helped put things in perspective. I think it was (God saying), “It’s time to surrender everything, not just portions of your life but everything in your life. Let me take care of it.” He’s been sober for almost three years now.

CNN: When did you become a Christian?

Reis: Throughout middle school and high school I had kind of been searching. … It twisted my thinking, it caused me to turn everything upside down and wonder, who is God? Sure, I believed in a God and I thought I understood it, but what does it mean to have a personal relationship? It was more of a process.

It was August of 2001. I’m coming home from a football practice in high school. I don’t know what it was at the time, but for some reason I had a bad practice and that sounds silly but that’s the walk I was going through and everything had sort of compounded.

This image of perfection that I was trying to keep up with was just weighing on me, and I needed someone to cry out to and I didn’t feel like I could cry out to anyone. I was in my car and I remember it was truly my first time talking to God and saying I can’t do this. It was the most authentic prayer that I prayed just saying, “I don’t want to do this life alone anymore. It’s just not fun.” For me it was that point of salvation that I really started to say, “This is who I want to be. This is how I want to be loved. This is the man I want to become.” … I made the decision that I was going to follow Christ with all that I have after that.

CNN: How did your faith play a role in your football career? Would you have been the same person without it?

Reis: No, I know for a fact I wouldn’t be the person I am without my faith. To me it’s who I am; it’s built the character. I want to look for ways to live out my faith in every opportunity.

Getting cut by the Falcons in 2006, my dream was over, crushed. I was about to get married, I felt like a bum. I didn’t know what I was going to do. I hadn’t graduated (from college) yet. So it’s like, “What are you doing with me, God?”

It was a lot of searching and praying that he has a plan for my life. Little did I know I would get shipped over (by the Saints) to NFL Europe. It was amazing to have the perspective that I’m not really over there for football – (and) to see the things that we saw: the people we were close with, the relationships that we built and to see the people who came to Christ and really started walking with him. I had an amazing season but that was secondary to what God was doing.

Then going into the NFL, people always ask about the Super Bowl: “How was it?” I always tell them the Super Bowl was great, onside kick was awesome. what I truly remember about that year, and it sounds cliché, … was the relationships that we built. We were so close as a team. We would hold Bible studies, and I saw marriages come together.

CNN: What do you hope to accomplish with the book? What do you want the take away to be?

Reis: What we want people to take away is just to be inspired. That it’s never too late to turn your life around, and this is not just from an addiction standpoint. When I go out and talk it’s always live for more – and it’s living for more than this world has to offer. If we’re just living for the next thing, hoping it will make us happy, it never does. We want to inspire people to be better husbands, better fathers, better mothers. We want to help people not make the same mistakes we did, and we want to give them a purpose to live for something greater than themselves.

Not everything is going to be perfect, but it can be better. We want to show the depths of how far my dad was - and not only that, but how he’s changed and that’s through the redeeming love of God. We can portray that love for other people and demonstrate how a heavenly father loves us and we can portray that that’s a God that wants to love you and have a personal relationship with you so it’s really important to us.

People want to feel like they’re not alone, and you’re not alone. Even a Super Bowl champion has problems in his family. It’s inspiring to us and we hope it inspires others.

CNN: Super Bowl prediction?

Reis: I’m going to say the 49ers, and I think with two great defenses, I don’t think it’s going to be a high scoring game. I’m thinking 21-17.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Books • Christianity • Faith • God • Journeys • Sports

1. Bootyfunk

the bible has unicorns, satyrs, dragons and c.ockatrice in it. there are talking snakes and donkeys (like Shrek!) a guy lives in the belly of a whale for 3 days (like in Pinocchio!) could that book be sillier?

February 2, 2013 at 1:30 pm |
    • Chard Tophu

The only silly parts of the Bible are between Genesis 1.1 and Revelation 22.22. All the rest is totally true.

February 2, 2013 at 3:19 pm |
  2. Universe

Islamic scripture (Quran says)

“They say , "We live only this life; we will not be resurrected. If you could only see them when they stand before their Lord! He would say, "Is this not the truth?" They would say, "Yes, by our Lord." He would say, "You have incurred the retribution by your disbelief." [6:30]

“Losers indeed are those who disbelieve in meeting God, until the Hour comes to them suddenly, then say, "We deeply regret wasting our lives in this world." They will carry loads of their sins on their backs; what a miserable load! [6:31]

“The life of this world is no more than illusion and vanity, while the abode of the Hereafter is far better for the righteous. Do you not understand?! [6:32]

“Recall that your Lord said to the angels, "I am placing a representative on Earth." They said, "Will You place therein one who will spread evil therein and shed blood, while we sing Your praises, glorify You, and uphold Your absolute authority?" He said, "I know what you do not know." [2:30]

“They do not value God as He should be valued. God is the Most Powerful, the Almighty.”[22:74]

“If you obey the majority of people on earth, they will divert you from the path of God. They follow only conjecture; they only guess.” [Quran 6:116]

“They even attribute to Him sons and daughters, without any knowledge. Be He glorified. He is the Most High, far above their claims.” Quran [6:100]

“The example of Jesus, as far as GOD is concerned, is the same as that of Adam; He created him from dust, then said to him, "Be," and he was.” Quran [3:59]

It does not befit God that He begets a son, be He glorified. To have anything done, He simply says to it, "Be," and it is. [19:35]

Thanks for taking time to read my post. Please take a moment to visit whyIslam org website.

February 2, 2013 at 1:18 pm |
  3. hypatia

So did this yokel make a prediction?

February 2, 2013 at 11:40 am |
  4. Peewee

When did Judaism and Christianity split from each other? and who was Jesus to each group?? Feel free to respond and educate me

February 2, 2013 at 11:38 am |
    • Russ

by 70 AD Christians were being consistently kicked out of synagogues.
      in 90 AD, rabbinical scholars gathered for the Council of Jamnia – a meeting in which they agreed upon which books they believed to be most authoritative. This was largely done in response to the rapid spread of Christianity, a new "sect" that was appealing to various Hebrew Scriptures / Old Testament passages.

It's clear that the early Christians saw themselves as faithful Judaism (Jn.5:39-40; Lk.24:27,44; Heb.11), but very few ethnic Jews agree with that today (Messianic Jews like Jews for Jesus, etc.).

February 2, 2013 at 11:58 am |
    • Bootyfunk

Judaism was the original, formed by Abraham. Christianity began as a sect of Judaism. But they began to convert Gentiles (non-Jews), so they became their own seperate religion. Islam was started 5-6 hundred years after the death of Christ, with Mohammed claiming they were the originals of the Abramic belief, and that Jews and Christians had distorted the message of Allah.

February 2, 2013 at 1:39 pm |
  5. Free Nuts

For creationists

February 2, 2013 at 8:51 am |
  6. Science

Peace

Einstein letter, set for auction, shows scientist challenging idea of God, being 'chosen'

By Jessica Ravitz, CNN

Decades before atheist scientist and author Richard Dawkins called God a "delusion," one world-renowned physicist – Albert Einstein – was weighing in on faith matters with his own strong words.

“The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends,” Einstein wrote in German in a 1954 letter that will be auctioned on eBay later this month. "No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.”

Peace

February 2, 2013 at 6:03 am |
  7. tallulah13

Oh, look. More washed up jocks trying to sell books to christians. Now that's fresh.

February 1, 2013 at 11:02 pm |
  8. Alien Orifice

I am leaving!! I hate you all I hate you!!! You are so boring!!!!

February 1, 2013 at 10:35 pm |
    • End Religion

May I come to your planet and probe you?

February 2, 2013 at 8:16 am |
  9. Why the Long Orifice?

Wow you boring are people.

February 1, 2013 at 9:32 pm |
  10. Why the Long Orifice?

Biblical literalists hold that we are God’s favorites. We live at the universe’s center on a planet God made and maintains for us to use. Earth’s resources are here for us to exploit. God protects us and promised he would not destroy Earth again until the end of days.

Under that scenario, we have little reason to safeguard our existence.

40% of the electorate are biblical literalists.

Do you see the problem?

February 1, 2013 at 8:12 pm |
    • Russ

a few clarifications:
      1) no where does the bible advance a geocentric theory. we are not the center of the universe. rather, God is the center of existence. to the degree that we are centered on him...

and that's what makes the incarnation of Jesus unfathomable. God makes humanity the center of the redemption of a broken existence/creation. in *that* regard, yes, we are his "favorites" – but it is clearly undeserved. leading to the second point...

2) much to the contrary of your point, Gen.2 makes it clear that humanity is responsible to faithfully tend the garden (creation) that God made. if anything, biblical literalists should be extremely concerned with conservation of the earth's resources. we evangelicals, sadly, have a horrible track record here.

the underlying point of divide: God clearly values human life more than any other resource on earth. conservation *serves* that purpose, not vice versa. exploitation of the earth is a clear violation of the Genesis mandate, but devaluing human life (abortion, etc.) is falling off the fence on the other side.

3) you note that God promised *He* wouldn't destroy the earth again, but that doesn't preclude us from making it virtually unlivable. again, the Fall (Gen.3) makes it clear that we have done this to ourselves, and "tending the garden" is going to be much more difficult than it was originally designed to be.

so, yes, there is still much for you to mock about us biblically minded Christians, but I'd prefer to be mocked for things I actually believe.

February 2, 2013 at 12:09 pm |
  11. Alien Orifice

God created the universe. Many billions of years ago, a life form evolved on a planet not so far distant and their scientists deduced the building blocks for life existed in the universe and from it, new life forms could be created. These ancient ones populated Mars with life and eventually, due to asteroid events over millions of years, life arrived here on Earth. We are a product of that primeval turbulence. Therefore, we must worship the Aliens, not God. The Aliens have to worship God. This is all true because I have faith that it happened just this way.

February 1, 2013 at 8:07 pm |
  12. Alien Orifice

Raising America with Kyra Phillips.

February 1, 2013 at 7:23 pm |
    • chuckle

i now.

February 1, 2013 at 7:28 pm |
    • Alien Orifice

I am going to try it tomorrow!

February 1, 2013 at 7:53 pm |
  13. chuchles

Envy and irony are the cobble stone of atheism.

February 1, 2013 at 6:29 pm |
    • Chuckles

Bahahahahah

You're awesome. Keep doing what you're doing.

February 1, 2013 at 6:33 pm |
    • Chuckles

Oh, and for anyone who's wondering what the handle means, this guy (I'm assuming after he finally looked up with irony meant) realized his handle @irony made 0 sense and decided to try and spell Chuckles, sadly this special guy here confuses K's and H's.

I'll be collecting money to help this kid learn. Please donate http://www.helpchuchles.com. Just 1 dollar could help cure this man of his incredibly underdeveloped brain.

February 1, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
    • chuchles

actually he can't realize his own ironic postings are about taking credit for athiest charity with a group he cant even name. yet lying that communists arent athiests

February 1, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
    • If the name fits . . .

Actually, "chuchles" is a word with a rich and diverse meaning in many languages.

In ancient Aramatheic, it means "total nincompoop."

In Babylonian, it means "small and limp."

In Latin, it of course means "uncomtrollable explosive diarrhea."

In Assyria, a "chuchles" was a person who had had his brain removed using implements made of rock.

And in Judea, the almost-apostle chuchles was the one rejected by Jesus due to his simultaneous malodorous flatulence and Tourette syndrome.

February 1, 2013 at 6:47 pm |
    • Chad

"In Latin, it of course means "uncontrollable explosive diarrhea.""

funny

February 1, 2013 at 6:50 pm |
    • Hugo Chavez

I am a communist and a devout Christian.

February 1, 2013 at 6:51 pm |
    • Dictionary.com

chuckles : A name you can call someone to let them know that you do not respect their opinion, and that you do not think much of their intelligence.

Guy #1: "I've got this great idea!"

Guy #2: "Sure you do, chuckles."

L.O.L.

February 1, 2013 at 6:51 pm |
    • Chuckles

@If the name fits....

Fascinating! I had no idea, but that sounds about right

@Dictionary.com
      I don't think you are a representative from dictionary.com, oh yeah and please show me again where I took credit for an atheist charity doing work in Africa?

February 1, 2013 at 6:53 pm |
    • chuchles

>chuchles: "religious people drilled one well." "atheists ahve practically eradicated malaria in africa"

February 1, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
    • Chuckles

""atheists ahve practically eradicated malaria in africa"
      That's weird? I don't see in that quote that says I eradicated malaria in Africa anywhere? Is that the quote you're going off of?

Kiddo, I know that reading AND typing is tough, but stick with it and one day you'll learn.

February 1, 2013 at 7:08 pm |
    • chuchles

no, you claimed athiests – like you – eradicated maleria in africa. not that you did. but as an athiest you think you are superior.

February 1, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
    • Chuckles

@sad person

Yes, atheists like me did eradicate malaria .... am I wrong? Did the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation make all of that up?

If we're going to talk about me being superior, that depends. Superior to whom? You? Yes, I believe I am superior to you. You've proven yourself to be an idiot of the highest caliber, I have no doubt in my mind I'm superior to you in every way. Superior to all christians? Probably not, I have my flaws and I'm sure apart from the sad truth that people still feverently believe in a magic invisible guy, there are many people out there that possess qualities I aspire for.

In summation, I can say with confidence I am superior to you, I can also say with confidence I am not superior to all religious people.

There's always a bigger fish kiddo, you just happen to live in a world where everyone is a bigger fish. Tough break.

February 1, 2013 at 7:16 pm |
  14. Why the Long Face?

@Chad

Can I bust out an “oldie but a goody” right now ya’ll?

Chad? FUCK you Chad. How you all mutha fucking chads gonna be hanging up and fucking up the gods-damn election yo. Bush man? Bush?? Ya'll muthufuckers made “W” our muthafuckin’ president man! Fuck you man. FUCK YOU CHAD, Fuck you "hangin' chads" man.

Thanks, sorry.

February 1, 2013 at 5:56 pm |
    • Why the Long Face?

Oh hey ho man, sorry Chad that was meant for chuchles yo. My bad.

February 1, 2013 at 7:27 pm |
  15. Chad

Not everything is going to be perfect, but it can be better. We want to show the depths of how far my dad was – and not only that, but how he’s changed and that’s through the redeeming love of God. We can portray that love for other people and demonstrate how a heavenly father loves us and we can portray that that’s a God that wants to love you and have a personal relationship with you so it’s really important to us.

Well said Chris!

who would be the most inspiring atheist ever I wonder.. Mao, Pol Pot, Marx.. Lenin..

February 1, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
    • Why the Long Face?

El Pollo Norteno
      (Park in the back)

February 1, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
    • Why the Long Face?

Jesus maybe? eh, who knows.

February 1, 2013 at 5:46 pm |
    • Chuckles

So you think only communists can be atheists?

Chad, it would really help if you actually understood what atheism is.

February 1, 2013 at 5:47 pm |
    • Chad

I couldnt think of any inspiring atheists either...

February 1, 2013 at 5:49 pm |
    • Chuckles

No Chris Hitchens? Richard Dawkins?

I mean, Zeus knows you've seen those names pop up all the time....

February 1, 2013 at 5:51 pm |
    • inspiration persperation

February 1, 2013 at 5:56 pm |
    • Chad

inspiring?
      how so?

February 1, 2013 at 5:57 pm |
    • inspiration persperation

he always appeared looking very miserable. sad.

February 1, 2013 at 6:00 pm |
    • Chuckles

@Chad

So you believe that Communists are inspiring .... or rather you tell other atheists what they find inspiring, but when an atheist tells you actually inspirations to them, Hitchens showing that you can and should be unabashedly atheist and not apologize or Dawkins who's writings has led to many people having a greater understanding about the world they live in and how it doesn't need a creator and you wonder how these men aren't inspiring?

Like I said, please understand what atheism is before you decide that all atheists are communist murderers

February 1, 2013 at 6:00 pm |
    • Chad

inspiring?

February 1, 2013 at 6:04 pm |
    • End Religion

He was constantly sweating and needed to drink to deal with relentless religious Ad Hoc Hypothesis.

February 1, 2013 at 6:05 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What does that prove?

February 1, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
    • Why the Long Face?

Hitchens showing that you can and should be unabashedly atheist
      ...and smoke and drink yourself to death.

February 1, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
    • Chuckles

@Chad

"inspiring?

good homework assignment for you, locate some pictures of Hitchens smiling, I found one..."

I'm honestly confused, what does a picture of Hitchens smiling have anything to do with him being an inspiration or not? Do you know what the word "inspire" means? That would probably clear some stuff up.

February 1, 2013 at 6:07 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Hitchens is very inspiring and smiled quite a bit. What a stupid idea to judge a person's position or argument based on how you THINK they felt in their own head. Unsurprisingly, christards are the ones who do this the most.

February 1, 2013 at 6:10 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

This is one example of Chad BEING a liar. He is willing to use stupidity for his own position that he would never accept against it. Of course he knows that his valuation of a person's demeanor has nothing to do with the validity of the argument, but he's willing to skip logic when he believes it helps him and his a priori position. What a fool.

February 1, 2013 at 6:12 pm |
    • Zingo

Here is one for Chad: Name all the places in the Bible where God laughs.

February 1, 2013 at 6:52 pm |
  16. CS

Oh why such great punishment? SO great?

If I could at least remember then perhaps I would slap my own back and slash myself.

All I can see now is shadow.

All I want is sleep.

The Hell, Earth. Why this place?

Such loveliness allowed while we bask in the suffering.

Where does such cruelty manifest?

Who would seek worship on this shipwreck?

February 1, 2013 at 5:34 pm |
  17. Why the Long Face?

The reason there can be no God:

God is supernatural.

If God exists, it is natural.

No God, done.

February 1, 2013 at 5:29 pm |
    • Why the Long Face?

ER, do I have your permission to say "Hell yeah?"

February 1, 2013 at 5:32 pm |
    • Why the Long Face?

The reason there MUST be a God:

El Pollo Norteno, park in the back.

February 1, 2013 at 5:35 pm |
  18. Why the Long Face?

Well I took the plunge and killed myself last night and naturally nothing changed. Same shit.

February 1, 2013 at 5:11 pm |
    • Akira

Well, I guess you just gave everyone proof of life after death, as you're posting here...

February 1, 2013 at 5:17 pm |
    • Why the Long Face?

Yup. And now that I have proven that there is life after death, I shall prove the miracle of Jesus.

February 1, 2013 at 5:23 pm |
    • Why the Long Face?

Sorry my bad Akira, I never actually died. I was just watching "Convoy" on TBS.

February 1, 2013 at 5:25 pm |
    • End Religion

Keep on truckin', good buddy.

February 1, 2013 at 5:29 pm |
    • Why the Long Face?

ER, do I have your permission to say "Hell yeah?"
      (twice mo nice)

February 1, 2013 at 5:33 pm |
    • End Religion

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.

February 1, 2013 at 5:49 pm |
    • Akira

Why: 10-4, good buddy.

February 1, 2013 at 5:51 pm |
  19. truth be told

All atheists are liars. All morally decent people already know this although so called atheists somehow think we do not. This post simply says you self deluded atheist types aren't fooling anyone with your rhetoric, there is no good use for you in this world or the next. Consider doing the world a favor and moving on to the next world by your own means, you won't be missed.

February 1, 2013 at 1:15 pm |
    • ME II

Is this a good example of the "Love thy neighbor" promoted by Theists?

February 1, 2013 at 1:34 pm |
    • Mohammad A Dar

and who is not lair? Jesus!! can you name one person?

February 1, 2013 at 2:27 pm |
    • truth be told

My neighbor does not hate God. You think you have rejected God, guess again perhaps you are the rejected and as accursed as any cananite ever was, perhaps more so. There is no use for the so called atheist in this world or the next, advise yourself of it.

February 1, 2013 at 5:29 pm |
    • truth be told

Naming a liar
      mohammad a dar.

February 1, 2013 at 5:30 pm |
    • Athy

Truth be told, you are the best unwitting proponent for atheism we have on these blogs. Keep up the good work.

February 1, 2013 at 6:27 pm |
    • truth be told

Since you are a proven liar we the normal cad deduce that the Truth is 180% opposite the ever stupid athy.

February 1, 2013 at 8:11 pm |
    • Mohammad A Dar

Right on money, I lie, but what about your Jesus? Here try to answer some of his lies below, goon:

Jesus Lied About Prayer

Jesus is quoted many times in the Bible saying that a believer can ask for anything through prayer and receive it. He even goes so far as to say that mountains and trees can be thrown into the sea simply by praying for it. This is clearly a lie, and can be proven to be a lie by any believer. Simply pray for me to be converted to Christianity right away. Or better yet ask God to move the mountains behind my house. He could make a lot of converts that way. If I’m converted today, I’ll post a public apology on my web site and devote my life to kissing God’s ass. If I’m not converted it would only be fair for you to apologize and devote your life to kissing my butt.

Here are the quotes from Jesus that proves that he lied:

1) And Jesus answered and said to them, "Truly I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, `Be taken up and cast into the sea,' it will happen. "And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive." (Matthew 21:21-22 NAS)

2) Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. (Matthew 7:7-8 NAB)

3) Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst. (Matthew 18:19-20 NAS)

4) Amen, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, 'Be lifted up and thrown into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it shall be done for him. Therefore I tell you, all that you ask for in prayer, believe that you will receive it and it shall be yours. (Mark 11:24-25 NAB)

5) And I tell you, ask and you will receive; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. (Luke 11:9-13 NAB)

6) And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it. (John 14:13-14 NAB)

7) If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you. (John 15:7 NAB)

8) It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you. (John 15:16 NAB)

9) On that day you will not question me about anything. Amen, amen, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in my name he will give you. Until now you have not asked anything in my name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete. (John 16:23-24 NAB)

A lot of Christians ignore what Jesus actually says in the Bible. They also tend to add things to the actual words to make them say something else. If you honestly and truthfully read these quotes, without adding to them, it is very easy to see that Jesus is not saying that God will think about your prayers. He says God will grant all your prayers. Clearly, God doesn't grant all prayers and this proves that Jesus was a habitual liar.

February 1, 2013 at 8:35 pm |
  20. End Religion

If he was going to "follow Christ with all he had" then maybe he shouldn't have been working on Sundays, which is forbidden by his god. Or maybe "all he had" simply means "I'll cherry pick the parts of the bible that work for me personally and gloss over the rest" as it does with every Christian. Now he wants to preach this cherry picking. How nice.

February 1, 2013 at 12:17 pm |
    • Claire

Just proof that Christians will do anything to make a buck. Religion is all about profit really.

February 1, 2013 at 12:26 pm |
    • Yuppers

Nevermind the "camel through the eye of a needle" rich people don't go to heaven rule.

Being Christian is never having to actually follow the rules you insist others must follow.

February 1, 2013 at 12:39 pm |
    • Dennis

See the other football post of the day re concussions. Reis probably has had his share. It helps to not have a properly working brain, to be religious.

February 1, 2013 at 1:02 pm |
    • December

>> working on Sundays, which is forbidden by his god.

Are you sure about that?

Is he Jewish or Christian?

You might want to read about Jesus Christ and how Christians regard him as their sabbath rest.

February 1, 2013 at 3:12 pm |
    • Erin

Why would you regard Jesus as anything godly or otherwise divine? He was just another con man preacher with a flock of followers. Then marketing grabbed his story and put a big spin on it. Classic meme propagation, nothin more.

February 1, 2013 at 3:51 pm |
    • December

Great marketing pitches:

“And you will be hated by everyone because of my name, but whoever will endure until the end, he will be saved.” ©

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and is himself (his soul) destroyed or lost?" ©

February 1, 2013 at 4:27 pm |
    • Bob

Yeah, maybe if more people read the nasty marketing matter in the bible, we'd have fewer deluded morons (Christians). There's fine content in there like this, NT and OT both:

Numbers 31:17-18
      17 Now kiII all the boys. And kiII every woman who has slept with a man,
      18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Deuteronomy 13:6 – “If your brother, your mother’s son or your son or daughter, or the wife you cherish, or your friend who is as your own soul entice you secretly, saying, let us go and serve other gods … you shall surely kill him; your hand shall be first against him to put him to death”

Revelations 2:23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

Leviticus 25
      44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.
      45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property.
      46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

Note that the bible is also very clear that you should sacrifice and burn an animal today because the smell makes sicko Christian sky fairy happy. No, you don't get to use the parts for food. You burn them, a complete waste of the poor animal.

Yes, the bible really says that, everyone. Yes, it's in Leviticus, look it up. Yes, Jesus purportedly said that the OT commands still apply. No exceptions. But even if you think the OT was god's mistaken first go around, you have to ask why a perfect, loving enti-ty would ever put such horrid instructions in there. If you think rationally at all, that is.

And then, if you disagree with my interpretation, ask yourself how it is that your "god" couldn't come up with a better way to communicate than a book that is so readily subject to so many interpretations and to being taken "out of context", and has so many mistakes in it. Pretty pathetic god that you've made for yourself.

So get out your sacrificial knife or your nasty sky creature will torture you eternally. Or just take a closer look at your foolish supersti-tions, understand that they are just silly, and toss them into the dustbin with all the rest of the gods that man has created.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
      Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

February 1, 2013 at 6:33 pm |