home
RSS
February 18th, 2013

Could Pope Benedict be put on trial?

(CNN)–Pope Benedict XVI's resignation brings calls for his prosecution. CNN's Nic Robertson investigates the claims.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Bishops • Catholic Church • Courts • Pope Benedict XVI • Vatican

1. chris hogan

Maybe the Church can hide him somewhere so he won't be prosecuted. Instead of the Witness Protection Program, they can call it "The Protection from Witnesses Program" LOL!

March 15, 2013 at 8:34 pm |
  2. Denny

All the brainwashed catholics are out in full force; bible quoting until their fingers bleed, coming up with god excuses for everything. I say you wanna keep giving your god human like qualities, then hold him responsible as a leader for the mess of humanity instead of coming up with a stupid answer such as " he is our creator, we are not his" As if THAT is good enough to excuse the mess of humanity (even though I do not, for one instant, condone the use of any god) get real people, no god gave the pope his position, the cardinals did. they're all human, and so is the pope, and everyone else in the dam brainwashing organization. Stop your bible quoting and get real, GET REAL!

March 6, 2013 at 11:44 am |
  3. yosemite sam

Yes the pope should hang from the gallows.

March 5, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
  4. sTEPHEN POVERELLO

Pope John Paul II was the worst Pope in the last 100 years

March 4, 2013 at 4:41 pm |
  5. mercury

I knew he resigned for a reason. I said it when I first heard about it. I said "If he is resigning it's because he did something wrong and he doesn't want the scandal to hurt the fairy tale."

February 28, 2013 at 4:09 pm |
  6. Catskinner

I hope he's succeeded by Cardinal Sicola because, right now, I think a Pope Sicola would be quite refreshing.

February 28, 2013 at 12:26 am |
  7. Jacked

If a man allowed his animals to starve, to suffer, to live in misery the way god allows "his " humans to live he would be promptly arrested and put on trial.

February 24, 2013 at 12:36 pm |
    • joel

yes your absolutely correct...any human being who puts their pet or other living animal through bad conditions can easily be put to trial... how ever... even though God is nor the cause of humanities mistakes and problems,he has allowed humans to proceed in their path from the beginning of time until now...,He has a very strong reason to do so...And even though he does not have to tell us that reason (Because he is the almighty,our creator,we will respond to him..NOT him to us)... he does let us know the reason why he has allowed suffering till this day...Contact me and I will be more than glad to explain to you with your own Bible,why God has allowed suffering of humans till this day... joelalmonte117@gmail.com

February 24, 2013 at 3:59 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Yeah, I'm going to need help understanding the Bible from someone who hasn't figured out the "your/you're" conundrum.

February 24, 2013 at 4:01 pm |
  8. kevobx

Mankind versus humanity? *Isaiah 19:25 Whom the Lord of hosts shall bless, saying, Blessed be Egypt my people, and Assyria the work of my hands, and Israel mine inhertance. *Esther 8:6 For how can I endure to see the evil that shall come unto my people? or how can I endure to see the destruction of my kindred? *Isaiah 1:10 Hear the word of the Lord, ye rulers of Sodom; give ear unto the law of our God, ye people of Gomorrah. *Revelation 11:8 And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified. *Isaiah 3:9 The shew of the countenance doth witness against them; and they declare their sin as Sodom, they hide it not. Woe unto their soul! for they have rewarded evil unto themselves. *Romans 1:9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; *Revelation 3:9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; *Esther 8:17 for the fear of the Jews fell upon them. *John 7:13 Howbeit no man spake openly of him for fear of the Jews. (The truth sets you free, knowing that Jew-ish is a religion that adopted Judaism as a worldly culture to be holy.) *Jeremiah 17:4 And thou, even thyself, shalt discontinue from thine heritage that I gave thee;

February 24, 2013 at 5:40 am |
  9. kevobx

The kingdom of God is power, power to the people. The world is asking for strength, from him Satan. *Deuteronomy 32:37 And he shall say, Where are their gods, their rock in whom they trusted, *John 18:6 Jesus answered, I have told you that I am he: if therefore ye seek me, let these go their way: *Esther 8:25 But when Esther came before the king, he commanded by letters that his wicked device, which he devised against the Jews, should return upon his own head, and that he and his sons should be hanged on the gallows. *Acts 13:29 And when they had fulfilled all that was written of him, they took him down from the tree, and laid him in a sepulchre. *Numbers 24:8 God brought him forth out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn: *Hebrews 12:29 For our God is a consuming fire. *Jeremiah 5:14 Wherefore thus saith the Lord God of hosts, Because ye speak this word, behold, I will make my words in thy mouth fire, and this people wood, and it shall devour them. *Mark 8:24 And he looked up, and said, I see men as trees, walking.

February 24, 2013 at 4:10 am |
    • CAUTION

The Bible will do this to you, folks - drive you stark, staring mad!

February 24, 2013 at 4:21 am |
    • reo

Far worse than madness because it makes you want to spread it around everywhere

February 24, 2013 at 4:58 am |
  10. Trevor D. Hitchin

CNN's J. Moore.....on the grittier side of JC.

"But, actually, the Jesus of the Bible was more human than most people are conditioned to think.

I call this the dirty side of Jesus. He was grittier, and a lot more like us than maybe we believe, and that’s one of the reasons why so many thousands of people followed him so quickly.

They could relate to him.

He was the teacher from a small town who knew and understood the economic insecurity that was common in the first century. Times must have been rather tough for Jesus at points in his life, for he even spoke of being homeless, having to sleep on the ground with no roof over his head.

He also knew what it was like to have his message rejected and how it felt to be misunderstood. Jesus was regarded with such little significance in his hometown that one of his critics once remarked sardonically, “Isn’t this the carpenter’s son?” Jesus eventually had to move to different city (Capernaum) because his teachings so infuriated the people living in his hometown that they drove him out of Nazareth and even tried to throw him off a cliff."

Have the Catholic Church clean out the abuse or ask for your money back. Fraud is fraud.

Peace on Earth, NOW.

February 23, 2013 at 10:40 pm |
  11. kevobx

In the realtime world, William Shakespeare is the white man called thou, who used his acts to blind the lost souls. Mark Twain added and took away from the Bible. Christ gave up the twain? *Matthew 27:51 And behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from top to bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; (Fourscore and seven years ago) *Psalm 90:10 The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away. *2nd Corinthians 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. *2nd Timothy 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to acknowledging of the truth; *Genesis 18:32 And he, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Peradventure ten shall be found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for ten's sake. *Genesis 50:15 And when Joseph's brethren saw that their father was dead, they said, Joseph will preadventure hate us, and will certainly requite us all the evil which we did unto him. *Genesis 50:19 And Joseph said unto them, Fear not: for am I in the place of God? *Acts 7:18 Till another king arose, which knew not Joseph. *John 19:38 And after this Joseph of Arimathaea, being a disciple of Jesus, but secretly for fear of the Jews, besought Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus: and Pilate gave him leave. He came therefore, and took the body of Jesus.

February 23, 2013 at 5:06 pm |
    • End Religion

Hey you wee brain nutter, how's it going?

February 23, 2013 at 5:30 pm |
  12. kevobx

Praying without grace and truth is spiritual death? *Isaiah 1:15 And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make make prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood. *Matthew 27:25 Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children. *2nd Kings 12:16 The trepass money and sin money was not brought into the house of the Lord: it was the priests'. *Matthew 27:6 And the chief priests took the silver, and said, It is not lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of blood. *Jeremiah 2:8 The priests said not, Where is the Lord? and they that handle the law knew me not: the pastors also transgressed against me, and the prophets prophesied by Baal, and walked after things that do not profit. *1st Kings 18:21 And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? if the Lord be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him. And the people answered him not a word. *Job 32:11 Behold, I waited for your words; I gave ear to your reasons, whilst ye searched out what to say. *Isaiah 41:21 Produce your cause, saith the Lord; bring forth your strong reasons, saith the King of Jacob. *Jude 11 Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core.

February 23, 2013 at 3:48 pm |
  13. .

Much Ado about Nothing, Act IV, Sc. I
    I never tempted her with word too large,
    But, as a brother to his sister, show'd
    Bashful sincerity and comely love.

February 23, 2013 at 2:55 pm |
  14. .

Twelfth Night, Act I, Scene 1
    O spirit of love, how quick and fresh art thou!
    That, notwithstanding thy capacity
    Receiveth as the sea, nought enters there,
    Of what validity and pitch soever,
    But falls into abatement and low price
    Even in a minute! so full of shapes is fancy,
    That it alone is high-fantastical.

February 23, 2013 at 2:55 pm |
  15. kevobx

Are you an apostle or a disciple? Simon is Peter. *Acts 8:18-20 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money, Saying Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost. But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money. *Luke 22:30-31 That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: *Job 39:12 Wilt thou believe him, that he will bring home thy seed, and gather it into thy barn? *Matthew 13:30 but gather the wheat into my barn. *Acts 5:11 And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things. *Matthew 9:10 And it came to pass, as Jesus sat at meat in the house, behold many publicans and sinners came and sat down with him and his diciples. *John 4:34 Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work. *Genesis 9:3 Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things. *1st Corinthians 3:21-22 Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are yours; Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours;

February 23, 2013 at 2:50 pm |
  16. kevobx

Who are the gods (Wiccans) the lovers of mother nature? *Romans 11:21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. *Psalm 82:1 God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods. *Acts 17:23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an alter with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you. *Revelation 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. *Isaiah 2:8 Their land is full of idols: they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made: *Ezra 5:4 Then said we unto them after this manner, What are the names of the men that make this building? *Psalm 49:11 Their inward thought is, that their houses shall continue for ever, and their dwelling places to all generations; they call their own lands after their own names. *Acts 7:49? *Hebrews 4:3?

February 23, 2013 at 1:53 pm |
  17. kevobx

Who are the gods (Wiccans) the lovers of mother nature? *Romans 11:21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. *Psalm 82:1 God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods. *Acts 17:23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an alter with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you. *Revelation 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. *Isaiah 2:8 Their land is full of idols: they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made: *Ezra 5:4 Then said we unto them after this manner, What are the names of the men that make this building? *Psalm 49:11 Their inward thought is, that their houses shall continue for ever, and their dwelling places to all generations; they call their own lands after their own names. *Acts 7:49 Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest? *Hebrews 4:3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

February 23, 2013 at 1:50 pm |
  18. RegorOredam

The Catholic Church is a criminal organization. Christians, flee now, follow Jesus, and save your souls! The criminal leadership, those who have created a haven for pedophiles and rapists, who have obstructed justice and perjured themselves, Benedict XVI included, render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's : turn yourselves into the law now. May God grant you mercy, but expect none from man. Jesus died for our sins, but we expect you to die for yours, as his purported followers. Or do your lies extend even unto God Almighty?

February 23, 2013 at 11:21 am |
    • sTEPHEN POVERELLO

Jesus Christ is the Church, it is men within the Church who have personal sins to confess. The Church is still supernatural and perfect

March 4, 2013 at 4:39 pm |
  19. Dan

This is one of the most thorough articles I have ever seen on CNN. I hope they do lock up this kid-touching leader of the book of fiction.

February 23, 2013 at 10:44 am |
  20. N. Cherly Anto Frezina

A great leader steps down,citing his age and deteriorating physical strength.He is the first pope to abdicate the position since 1415.

I see so many posts praising him.
    What s thr to praise him for anyway??? For running away from his responsibilities??? Thats Cowardice!!!! :/

Is it a gud thing??? Becoming a pope was not a choice, he was hand chosen by God to lead the sheep!!! Its not a political position from which he can step down trying to show he's not ambitious.......... Its a duty combined with great responsibility...!!! God chose him for his job... so God will provide him with things needed to carry it out(like mental n physical strength...wich r lame xcuses)!!!

It may be a tough narrow path........ but once taken, there should b no turning bak!!!!!!

February 22, 2013 at 10:36 pm |
    • Mara Mason

This man has stated, even long before he became Pope, that if he felt he could no longer do his job, he would step down. If anything, that's commendable- Would you rather have someone, for instance, a doctor- in his late 70s who's health is not the best, taking care of you or would you rather him step down and let someone else take his place? I believe that if you know you are no longer physically or mentally capable of doing a job- any job- stepping down is the right thing to do. And if he hadn't fallen in Mexico, and his his head, I believe he'd still be doing this job. But at his age, you become frail.

Remember Pope John Paul II at the end? He went from having an almost athletic demenor, being very strong, to become a frail and weak man, who could hardly wave his hand. As much as I loved PJPII, I always wondered why he didn't just step down... he looked like he physically couldn't handle the job.

How can you call that cowardice?

February 23, 2013 at 8:07 pm |