home
RSS
February 27th, 2013

Fill in the blank: Jesus is____

(CNN)– Justin Bieber's pastor, Judah Smith, says his book 'Jesus Is" challenges people to have a discussion about who Jesus was.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Jesus

soundoff (2,732 Responses)
  1. Hubert

Jesus is dead

February 27, 2013 at 2:52 pm |
  2. Jerry Fallswell

Jesus of Nazareth is the prince of peace

February 27, 2013 at 2:49 pm |
    • Jerry Fallswell

on my penis...

February 27, 2013 at 2:54 pm |
    • Hike Muckabee

Jesus of Nazareth is...going to come down and smite you for spamming this post.

February 27, 2013 at 2:59 pm |
  3. Jerry Fallswell

Jesus of Nazareth is my wonderful councelor

February 27, 2013 at 2:48 pm |
    • *

* but obviously not your spelling coach...

February 27, 2013 at 2:52 pm |
  4. Jerry Fallswell

Jesus of Nazareth is the way the truth and the life

February 27, 2013 at 2:48 pm |
    • End Religion

That may be a world record for the most lies in one short sentence!

February 27, 2013 at 7:13 pm |
  5. Jerry Fallswell

Jesus of Nazareth is my friend

February 27, 2013 at 2:47 pm |
  6. Jerry Fallswell

Jesus of Nazareth is my Lord and my God.

February 27, 2013 at 2:47 pm |
  7. Don't be a coward

@there's a couple books/authors for you. next time do be so lazy.

Those are 2 exact quotes on an atheist website if you google "Jesus Mithras".

Talk about lazy.

February 27, 2013 at 2:46 pm |
    • Hike Muckabee

Shaddap.

February 27, 2013 at 3:00 pm |
  8. Paul smith

one word – imaginary.

February 27, 2013 at 2:28 pm |
    • Honey Badger Dont Care

Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!

What do we have for him Johnny?

February 27, 2013 at 2:51 pm |
    • Johnny

Weeelll.... he gets to consider himself the King of the CNN Belief Blogs for the day. He can patrol stories about Jesus and make rude comments. Just for today, he can ignore his family, and blast away at people who have different beliefs than him. Congratulations Paul. You are our king!

February 27, 2013 at 3:25 pm |
  9. JMEF

Should it not be Jesus was ________?
    So far concenus seems to be, a nice Jewish boy from Canada may have been gay.

February 27, 2013 at 2:22 pm |
  10. ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

Jesus is hinduism fabrication of hindus crooks, a figure created in shadow of son of blessed Mary to propagate and implement hindu Mithra ism, racist savior ism as some thing of holy nature, by corruption of his teachings. Way of hindu Magi s, criminal tricksters of Persian and Egyptian origin to play their game. Jesus, the one propagated in book of hindu Mithraism, racist savior ism, called Bible of hindu dark ages never existed, but a tool to hind, fool humanity in to gentile ism, subjection of few hindus crooks as their gods.

February 27, 2013 at 2:02 pm |
    • Historian

Toady's question on historical trivia:

What was the name of the mother swine that found the infant twins Jacob and Esau in the wilderness and suckled them so that they survived and gave rise to Judaism and Islam?

February 27, 2013 at 2:39 pm |
    • Honey Badger Dont Care

Moohamed sux 9 year old boy donks. He should be catholic.

February 27, 2013 at 2:40 pm |
    • Jerry Fallswell

Islam is not related to Judaism, Islam is a false religion.

February 27, 2013 at 2:51 pm |
    • Historian

Today's test:

List religions that are not false.

February 27, 2013 at 3:09 pm |
    • GODLESS GOD

and so does your Mohammad, a fabricator pedo crook, animal lover, male goat banger.

February 27, 2013 at 3:24 pm |
  11. Kenrick Benjamin

Proof that God exist : Nothing (0) + Eternity (0) = God (0).

February 27, 2013 at 1:59 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

Nothing can exist without truth absolute, and truth absolute is LORD AND GOD OF THE WORLD. A hindu ignorant has no brain to figure it out, HE IS RIGHT ON FRONT OF YOU HINDU, STUPID.

February 27, 2013 at 2:05 pm |
    • SUCK IT

SUCK IT MOHAMMAD

YOUR MOM IS A WHORE

February 27, 2013 at 2:25 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

AND YOUR POST IS PROOF OF YOU BEING A HINDU, CHILD OF INCEST. HINDU FILTHY FOLLOWER OF HINDUISM SECULAR ISM, FILTHY DOG ISM FROM HINDERED GUTTER OF HINDUISM DOG ISM INDIA.

February 27, 2013 at 2:31 pm |
    • SUCK IT

YEAH, MOHAMMAD, YOU DUMB PARROTING BITCH

YOUR FAT-ISM STUPID-ISM MOM IS A WHORE, ISM, AND YOUR DAD WAS SOME HOBO HINDU

MONGREL ISM ISM ISM

February 27, 2013 at 2:36 pm |
    • SUCK IT

PS PAKISTAN IS A FESTERING CRAPHOLE

February 27, 2013 at 2:47 pm |
    • GODLESS GOD

MOHAMMAD A DAR, YOUR doG WAS THE WORST OF ALL, REAL SLICK MASTER, HE DID NOT EVEN LEAVE 9 YEARS OLD ALONE.

February 27, 2013 at 3:28 pm |
  12. the AnViL

Jebus is Canadian

eh??

*cracking up*

February 27, 2013 at 1:58 pm |
    • CrossCountry

Sooo you have reverted to bashing Canadians now?

I am guessing you didn't finish high school, you're overweight, you watch Honey boo boo religiously and you have cheesy dust on your keyboard. ...

February 27, 2013 at 2:07 pm |

@CrossCountry

Canadian bashing is an American national sport, it's sort of what we do here. I don't think it has anything to do with whether you are religious or not.

How do you spell Canada?

C-eh-N-eh-D-eh

February 27, 2013 at 2:09 pm |
    • the AnViL

cha cha cha, eh?

February 27, 2013 at 2:13 pm |

@chuckles

REally...why am I not surprised? Is that before or after you stuff your face with your double cheeseburger, super sized fried and DIET coke.

February 27, 2013 at 2:24 pm |
    • Hike Muckabee

Hey x-cuntry, you can always go fill out CNN's Internet Butthurt Report on the main page.

February 27, 2013 at 2:27 pm |

@Cross

I thought Canadians were all supposed to be good natured, donut eaters who play hockey all the time. Is that not the case? Plus, diet coke? Really? Diet cokes are for nerds.

February 27, 2013 at 2:28 pm |

Hey Hike

fvck off.

February 27, 2013 at 2:29 pm |
    • the AnViL

I happen to love flappy headed canadian chicks.

they are the hotness.

February 27, 2013 at 2:31 pm |

@chuckles

meh to donuts.

February 27, 2013 at 2:31 pm |
    • Hike Muckabee

Don't tell me to fuck off, I just want you to know you can always fill out a long form Butthurt Report any time you get insulted.

February 27, 2013 at 2:32 pm |

@Anvil

and I happend to ADORE egotistical American boys with nothing better to do than pick on Canadian chicks.

February 27, 2013 at 2:33 pm |

@Cross

SHENNIGANS! Meh to donuts?! You aren't a real Canadian or worse.... your a FRENCH Canadian.... gross.

February 27, 2013 at 2:33 pm |
    • Doobs

@ CC

I agree, donuts are meh, but I had really good bagels in Montreal.

I wish we could get back to religion bashing instead of USA/Canada bashing.

PS I forgot to add Barry Pepper to my list.

February 27, 2013 at 2:34 pm |

@chuckles

I don't know a lick of French! and I still say meh to donuts..

...now waffles and maple syrup and bacon....that's a whole different thing.

February 27, 2013 at 2:36 pm |

@Doobs

agreed.

February 27, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
    • Hike Muckabee

You forgot to say 'fat, cheeseburger eating' American boys.

Just wait until the cap'n sayin' truth troll shows up, it'll be great.

February 27, 2013 at 2:38 pm |

@hike

I do like me a good cheeseburger

February 27, 2013 at 2:41 pm |

@Cross

Hmmm, I don't how I feel about this, talking smack about donuts, not being a french canadian, being aggressive (well at least by canadian standards)..... I don't believe you're candian at all. Maybe you're from Alaska? or from the UP? Candian enough but American qualities....

February 27, 2013 at 2:41 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Think of this bit of gay repartee, Canada vs. the USA, as an intermission to allow the mentally ill delusional believers to reload their tired and trashed proof for their gods.

February 27, 2013 at 2:44 pm |

@chuckles

hahaha. There is a large portion of Canada that doesn't speak french...is that surprising? really.

February 27, 2013 at 2:46 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Don't worry.
      Bashing Americans is our national passtime here in Canada.
      There used to be a great segment on the CBC called "Talking to Americans" in which Rick Mercer would do "man on the street" style interviews with passerby in US cities or get famous Americans to shwocase their ignorance of Canada.
      One of my favourites is when he got Mike Huckabee to congatulate Canada for preserving our National Igloo.
      He also got various people to give Canada kudos for:
      Allowing the Irish to vote, allowing dogs as housepets, adopting the 24 hour clock, getting a 2nd area code...
      Or admonishing Canada for:
      Reinstating the Toronto polar bear hunt, placing senior citizens on Northern ice floes and leaving them to perish, allowing Labrador's urban sprawl to threaten the wooly mammoth...

He once even got George W. Bush to express how much he was looking forward to working with Prime Minister Jean Poutine.

February 27, 2013 at 2:46 pm |

@Doc

hehehe Yea.....we love to watch those! Dear god....hilarious.

February 27, 2013 at 2:49 pm |

@Cross

The french thing is no biggie, I know there's only a small part of Canada that's french canada (I learned that from South Park), but your "meh" to donuts is appalling.

@Doc
      To be fair Canada, I might not know a lot about Canada, but I know less about our neighbors to the south, other than the fact that they have drugs, tacos and resorts.

February 27, 2013 at 2:49 pm |

PS

@Cross

Doc is a fellow hoser, he finds them as funny as you do I expect.

@Doc

I also forgot to mention, I realize all those things can be found in Arizona as well so maybe I'm mixing the two up.

February 27, 2013 at 2:51 pm |
    • CrossCountry

@chuckles we have drugs, tacos and resorts also.. ....and donuts.

February 27, 2013 at 2:54 pm |
    • Doobs

@ Doc V

I love shows like that, used to love Jay Leno's Jaywalking segments and Battle of the Jaywalking All Stars, till Leno became a massive dick head. It was amazing how many of the idiots he interviewed were teachers.

Americans in general know very little about their own country and government, much less about any other country. Of course, all other countries are deemed inferior strictly on the basis of not being the USA.

February 27, 2013 at 2:59 pm |

@Doobs

True story, sadly did you know only 10% of Americans own a passport, and only a small portion of those people go further than across the Mexican/American or Candian/American Boarder.

@Cross
      I don't believe it. Canada has resorts? Where are these resorts? Along hockey rinks or something?

February 27, 2013 at 3:01 pm |
    • Jesus

Fuck!

February 27, 2013 at 3:02 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

I spent a while as the only Canadian on an American military base in Germany.
      An interesting experience, to say the least.
      I missed the little things the most. It used to be worth the 2 hour drive to the Canadian base just to be able to get bags of Salt & Vinegar and Ketchup chips.

I never understood how America – a country world renowned for its advances in the science of snack foodery – could neglect such basic and wonderful flavours.

If you come visit, you need to learn some key phrases to pass yourself off as Canadian.
      Repeat after me:
      "Please pass me a serviette, eh. I got poutine on the chesterfield."

February 27, 2013 at 3:04 pm |
    • WASP

@doobs: hmmm i will admit americans have many failings, i can say this being an american.
      i find it disgraceful that immigrants know more about our country's history than americans themselves; our crime rate and firearm postion is astounding for a "developed" nation.

i would hate to see what the fore-fathers would have to say if they saw the results of their hardwork.
      however with all our failures we will always have pride in our nation and fight tooth and nail to protect it and any other nation that calls on us.

February 27, 2013 at 3:05 pm |
    • Jesus

I'm surrounded by french Canadians, and I can’t fucking stand them! They are the rudest bunch of entitled fuckwads on the planet. Wherever they go, they have to try to take it over and make their own. Napoleonic twats! We kicked you out once before (1755), and we’re fixin to do it again if you don’t chill the fuck out!

Bless you

February 27, 2013 at 3:06 pm |
    • HotAirAce

There were big plans for many resorts on some Caribbean island that wanted to become part of Canada a few years ago.

February 27, 2013 at 3:06 pm |

@chuckles

I seriously feel like I am trying to explain a far away imaginary land to someone......haha

I live in a place with lots of snow and SKI resorts (not quite the same as tropical...but a resort none the less). Dust off your passport chuckles and try something new.

February 27, 2013 at 3:06 pm |

@Doc hahahaha awesome.

@Jesus...I understand. They CAN come across as very rude and superior. BUT....it is what it is...

February 27, 2013 at 3:09 pm |

@Cross

Canada might as well be New Zealand (incidentally, I've been to New Zealand.... lots of Kiwi's).

Also, I need to get a new passport because mines full, it was the trip to Southeast Asia that really did me in. Canada though.... that place only has hockey and donuts, the whole "tacos and resorts thing" is quite impossible.

February 27, 2013 at 3:10 pm |

@Doc

...and If you're from Saskatchewan...its a BUNNYHUG not a hoodie. And its a liquor board store not a liquor store.

February 27, 2013 at 3:10 pm |

@chuckles

Ooo a world traveler. How terribly impressive Mr. Chuckles. What is very surprising then is how you think Canada only has hockey rinks and donuts. We have much more than that. I wouldn't expect to see you climbing any mountains here or skiing any black diamonds...you are too busy filling up your passport.

February 27, 2013 at 3:13 pm |

@Cross

Jealous? Also, I happen to be from Colorado, you know that place with all the mountains. I won't be skiing the black diamonds because if I want a challenge I usually go on the double black diamonds.....

As for "much more" in Canada.... I guess you're probably right, you have maple syrup too right?

February 27, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Two guys in a bar:

Where are you from?

Canada.

The only good things from Canada are hoookers and hockey players.

Hey, my wife is from Canada!

What team did she play for?

February 27, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
    • CrossCountry

@chuckles....no I can't say that I am jealous. I cut my teeth on a black/double black diamond hill. Ranked #1 ski town, #4 best ski resort, 3rd best Terrain, New York times 8th best place to go (in world).

So yea....kinda got my hands full over here pal.

February 27, 2013 at 3:23 pm |
    • CrossCountry

...and Chuckles...your ego is peaking out...tsk tks

February 27, 2013 at 3:25 pm |
    • Doobs

@ Doc

At least we have salt & vinegar chips here now. Mr. Doobs loves them. One of our favorite things to do when we travel is to pick up local versions of typically American snacks. I still crave the curry flavored Pringles we got in Singapore, although I never buy Pringles in the USA.

@ WASP

It's sort of like how most atheists I know are far better educated about the bible than most christians I know. A lot of Americans start with the idea that our ways are the only right ways and the rest of the world can suck it.

February 27, 2013 at 3:26 pm |

@Cross

4th Best? That's cute, you know where #1 is right? Yeah, CO. It's cute you have you hands full though. When you get a handle on your little hills maybe you can come to the states sometime and see some real ski slopes.

PS, Oh noes! Big ego?! what am I to do? Guess I'll just have to humble myself up a bit right? I mean people with big egos never get ahead which is why you usually see super humble people in politics, hollywood, businesses, etc....

February 27, 2013 at 4:21 pm |

@chuck

Um..yea..actually Forbes mag top 10 – BC Canada beat you out. Powder mag – BC consistently shows you up or wins. The list goes on....

You may rank top 3 within the US...but you don't on a world scale. Not to mention, our terrain is some of the steepest with the best powder you will ever find. I know that is hard to handle...because you always have to be the best.

February 27, 2013 at 4:56 pm |

@Cross

Where are these articles you speak of? Also, you know Vail? Yeah it was voted the best mountain in the world for sometime. You know Beaver Creek? Yeah, those are just two places in CO that have the best in the world, not just the US, but you can pretend like Canada actually has something to offer .... Also can you explain to me why you wouldn't always want the best?

I think you keep trying to insult me saying I have a big ego or that I always want the best.... I just don't see the insult there. How Canadian of you, even your insults aren't really insulting.....

February 27, 2013 at 5:03 pm |

@chuck

...you don't even have the steepest hills in the world! Pretty lame. I honestly don't see how you claim #1 spot. haha

February 27, 2013 at 5:04 pm |

@chuck

Gawd....do Americans always HAVE to have the biggest and best?! Do you stomp your feet every single time you don't have the #1 spot?! How very american of you.

Believe it or not – there are places in the world that are better.

February 27, 2013 at 5:09 pm |

@chuckles

Mont Tremblant, Whistler, Whitewater, RED mountain...ever heard of ANY of these? Get out once in a while buddy.

February 27, 2013 at 5:11 pm |

@Cross

You're right, we don't have steep hills .... because we have mountains we generally ski on, but have fun with your hills there kiddo. Also, there's a reason when you travel around the world people recognize the US almost globally whereas Canada is described as "that place north of the US". You're like our little brother. Same parents, similar backgrounds but you'll always been second best. Chin up though, at least you're not the step-child from another marriage (a.k.a. Mexico).

February 27, 2013 at 5:33 pm |

@chuckle

Bahahahaha Oh. my..god. Our mountains are huge. moron. Good god...get out a map and look at the elevation levels...idiot.

February 27, 2013 at 5:41 pm |

@Cross

I am well aware that the Rocky Mountains don't stop at the US/Canadian boarder... then again you are the one referring to them as hills so.....

Looks like someone is getting touchy about her precious little Canada. Here's a donut eh? Don't get your zamboni all in a bunch eh? No doot aboot it.

February 27, 2013 at 5:44 pm |

@upchuck

Good job! A+ in geography. I refer to my mountain as the 'hill' because I get up there all the time. For ex: "I am on my way up to the hill for the morning", And when was the last time you heard someone say 'ski mountain'? Its usually 'ski hill'.

taunting me with donut jokes? wow....ouch – that hurt so bad. *pouts*

February 27, 2013 at 5:58 pm |

@Cross

I guess it's regional dialect considering everyone I know in CO constantly refers to it as the "ski mountain", or just "the moutain". I am sure this breaking news to your little candian brain, but different places have difference regional sayings. For instance, you calling your mountains "hills" only diminishes them, but then again Candians are masters of understatement so that's not shocking.

Also, the donut joke is pretty funny, sorry you don't think so. It's a shame you lack a sense of humor, your hoser brethren generally don't but it looks like you're the black sheep or I guess to help you understand a little better, it looks like you're the only french candaian in British Columbia eh?

February 27, 2013 at 6:03 pm |

@chuck

haha I am not French....at all.....but yea I live in BC. They are not many french canadians around here.

Well well looks like we are having a p*ssing contest of who has the bigger mountains.

Well...mine are bigger 😉

peace out, If you ever decide you want to ride a real mountain – come on over to BC.

February 27, 2013 at 6:33 pm |

@chuck

and for the record...I thought your 'no doot aboot it..." was clever.

February 27, 2013 at 6:34 pm |

@Cross

Indeed, have fun in Canadaland.

The Colorado Rockies are of course bigger though.

February 27, 2013 at 6:58 pm |

@chuck

Can you actually back country ski Mount Elbert?

February 27, 2013 at 9:05 pm |
  13. Mass Debater

The Hebrew religion and creation myth was based on Egyptian mythologies Moses was taught as a young Prince of Egypt. The Christian religion is an amalgam of that Hebrew/Egyptian religion with Zoroastrianism. Anyone who cannot see this after reading the histories and legends of all three religions is lying to themselves plain and simple. Actual facts do not support any of them as having any basis in the divine, but have been shown time and again to be very human in origin as any true divine inspiration would never have to be changed or altered along the way and would have stood the test of time. It's obvious when you look at all the changes that have been made to the doctrines over the last two thousand years that none can claim anything close to truth.

February 27, 2013 at 1:58 pm |
  14. HotAirAce

I fervently hope ('cause prayer is bullsh!t) that Justin Beiber and his entourage become Americans. What an embarrassment!

February 27, 2013 at 1:47 pm |
    • lol??

What are you sayin', Ugly American??

February 27, 2013 at 1:51 pm |
    • CrossCountry

My country apologizes for the Biebs. Truly.

February 27, 2013 at 1:53 pm |
    • the AnViL

the last cool thing canada gave us was Rush.

srsly canada?

we've given you star trek, star wars, batman, the doors, cheap trick, silicon graphics, the internet, men on the moon, cheese burgers.... and what have you given?

trailer park boys?

aldo nova?

justin bieber?

wtf?!?!

srsly, canada... get your shit together.

srsly

February 27, 2013 at 1:56 pm |

Anvil

Now now...usually I am very polite and well spoken...but I don't take very well to anyone talking that way about Canada. In fact, I have never once seen anyone on here do that – so this is a first.

It's a good think you're not standing in front of me Anvil cause I would smack you upside the head and tell you to go fvck yourself.

February 27, 2013 at 2:02 pm |
    • Doobs

I'd like to thank Canada for:

John Candy

Eugene Levy

Donald Sutherland

Catherine O'Hara

Wayne Gretzky

Christopher Plummer

Rick Moranis

William Shatner

Considering all that, I forgive you for the Biebs.

February 27, 2013 at 2:08 pm |
    • lol??

CC, doesn't yer mommie da queen like homegrown humour?? She pokes fun at ya.

February 27, 2013 at 2:09 pm |
    • the AnViL

Cross Country:

I made no defamatory or insulting statements about canada. while i admit a small amount of invective – all of my statements are factually correct. Your desire to seek a violent solution to end your frustration is very un-canadian. i therefore find your position untenable.

if you were to meet The AnViL – you'd not slap or curse... you'd apologize (a customary practice of your people) for laming up the north american continent with your justin bieber and celine dion.

I admit... your poutine is good – but it won't save you from being completely L7.

you owe us, canada.

you owe.

February 27, 2013 at 2:09 pm |
    • HotAirAce

How the beep did Shatner get on your list? As a comedian?

February 27, 2013 at 2:11 pm |

@Doobs – thanks hahahaha

@lol – While I don't keep up with the Queen...I do admit to having a great sense of self depreciating humor

@Anvil – If you were to meet CC you would not insist I owe you anything. Canadian women are simply charming, witty and hot. Good thing you didn't slam the poutine...that would be a whole new war.

February 27, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
    • Doobs

@HAA

He's silly, and I like silly humor. I love the Big Giant Head. So sue me.

February 27, 2013 at 2:20 pm |

Hotairace

I. dont. know. how. that.....happened.

February 27, 2013 at 2:20 pm |
    • sam stone

Doobs: What, no Don Cherry on that list?

February 27, 2013 at 4:00 pm |

Sam

agreed...Don Cherry should be on that list.

February 27, 2013 at 5:59 pm |
  15. the AnViL

jebus is....... a KICK ASS ZOMBIE HUNTER!!!

check it out!

February 27, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

takes a zombie to kill a zombie...?

February 27, 2013 at 1:48 pm |
  16. Mass Debater

That is what Christianity has been for nearly 2000 years, a "Fill in the blank" religion. Whatever those in power wanted it to be, it became. Need it to be only for the elites? Then doctrine made the bible only for the priest class. Need it to condone slavery? No problem, the bible is full of slavery apologists. Need it to condone segregation? No problem! Wasn't that bad guy Cain black or something? Need it to prove the world is flat? Sure why not, at least until we could prove otherwise. Need it to condone dominating your wife and relegating her to the life of a second class citizen? Sure, no problem depending on how you want to interpret the bibles headship laws. Need your religion to condone prejudice and hate for your fellow humans? No problem, just police the bedrooms as bible cops and start pointing fingers and telling others who they are allowed to love.

The only thing that is truly blank and empty is their faith.

February 27, 2013 at 1:43 pm |
    • lol??

A Truly Blank Debater has spoken.

February 27, 2013 at 1:53 pm |
    • .

"A Truly Blank Debater has spoken."

Blank means not having an adequate response like yours.

February 27, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
    • Mass Debater

How did you do in science lol?? I'm pretty sure filling in the blanks with "God" as the answer only showed how incredibly stupid you are to the rest of the class which is why you have to come on here anonymously and push your poor logic and uneducated opinions.

February 27, 2013 at 2:02 pm |
    • lol??

Studied TO the Test, MD?? You passed, bigot.

February 27, 2013 at 2:06 pm |
    • Mass Debater

Ignored all the study material because you thought you already knew the answers? Apparently you don't even know the meaning of bigot, but i'm not surprised someone with such a pathetic vocabulary, weak logic and poor reasoning skills would make themselves look like a fool.

February 27, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
    • Mass Debater

"Bigoted: 1.Obstinately convinced of the superiority or correctness of one's own opinions and prejudiced against those who hold different opinions. 2.Expressing or characterized by prejudice and intolerance."

As an atheist I do not claim superiority of my own opinion, I accept that we do not have all the answers yet. I do however reject anyone elses belief that they have the patent on truth when they present their opinions as fact and then get butt hurt when someone points out how ridiculous their unproven and unreliable opinions are.

I cannot claim I hold no prejudices, though I will say that I consciously attempt to hold those inherrited prejudices at bay. I love all humans including Christians and wish they would all learn to live within their means not only financially as we all should, but spiritually, and not standing out on some bankrupt precipice of faith refusing to even consider that you might be wrong.

February 27, 2013 at 2:28 pm |
  17. Facts

Even the Encyclopedia Britannica acknowledges that Mithraism (the religion associated with Mithra) could not have influenced the Gospel writers. It states:

“There is little notice of the Persian god [Mithra] in the Roman world until the beginning of the 2nd century, but, from the year AD 136 onward, there are hundreds of dedicatory inscriptions to Mithra. This renewal of interest is not easily explained. The most plausible hypothesis seems to be that Roman Mithraism was practically a new creation, wrought by a religious genius who may have lived as late as c. AD 100 and who gave the old traditional Persian ceremonies a new Platonic interpretation that enabled Mithraism to become acceptable to the Roman world.”

February 27, 2013 at 1:35 pm |
    • .

Encyclopaedia Britannica,

Whether or not they were rivals, it is certainly possible that these two contemporary communities had some influence on each other. In at least one area, it is clear that Christianity adopted an aspect of Mithraism – the celebration of the birth of Christ on December 25; a tradition that began in the 4th century. A Christian writer admitted this in 320 AD, explaining:

We hold this day holy, not like the pagans because of the birth of the sun, but because of him who made it.

February 27, 2013 at 1:41 pm |
    • Live4Him

Yes, the facts don't lie. Mithra is the copy-cat.

February 27, 2013 at 1:44 pm |
    • Remember

Ritual communal meals and the theme of sacrifice for salvation were common not only to Mithraism and Christianity but much of the ancient world. So it's not surprising it's found in both.

February 27, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
    • Live4Him

@.

Pick any day of the year and there will be a pagan holiday nearby. Why would you expect December 25th to be any different?

February 27, 2013 at 1:46 pm |
    • Mass Debater

Facts don't lie but L4H doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

You may want to go rinse your mouth L4H, that brown stain on your tounge smells of wormwood and feces.

February 27, 2013 at 1:48 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

mitra had the concept of one god first. also of judgment, angelology, apocalypse, concern for life after death and satan first too. but you say that's a coincidence...? lol.

February 27, 2013 at 1:50 pm |
    • lol??

So Cutesie Bootsie, are you sayin' Adam and Eve were mute?? bigot

February 27, 2013 at 1:56 pm |
    • Live4Him

@Bootyfunk : mitra had the concept of one god first.

What is the earliest extant manscript that supports this posit?

February 27, 2013 at 1:56 pm |
    • HotAirAce

While arguing about which cult copied which other cult might be somewhat amusing, it is completely irrelevant given that there is no proof for any god.

February 27, 2013 at 2:08 pm |
    • lol??

How come the A&A's are never mute??

February 27, 2013 at 2:11 pm |
  18. .

Mithra is the only true son of God

1.Advocate
    205.Wonderful
    206.Word of Life
    207.Word, the
    208.Worthy

February 27, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
    • Live4Him

Well, everyone is entitled to your opinion, even if you don't have any evidence to support those opinions.

February 27, 2013 at 1:39 pm |
  19. Live4Him

The ONLY list supported with 1900+ year old manuscripts.

Jesus is

205.Wonderful
    206.Word of Life
    207.Word, the
    208.Worthy

February 27, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

all manuscripts written hundreds of years after the fact. manuscripts that mention unicorns, satyrs and dragons, talking donkeys and snakes! lol.

February 27, 2013 at 1:34 pm |
    • Yup

"The ONLY list supported with 1900+ year old manuscripts."

That is full of lies and myths.

February 27, 2013 at 1:34 pm |
    • Live4Him

@Bootyfunk : all manuscripts written hundreds of years after the fact.

The evidence falsifies your conclusion. There is a extant manuscript dated to 125 AD – (i.e. less than 100 years).

February 27, 2013 at 1:53 pm |
    • WASP

@him: all i can say is PROVE IT.
      prove that anything written about "jesus" is true.

i can show you that the bible itself was written over 300 years AFTER he was crusified by the romans. the cool part is that is what is written in your own bible and in human history.

so that whole list of BS is exactly that BULL....................

February 27, 2013 at 2:17 pm |
  20. Don't be a coward

attn: Sowhat
    attn: Bootyfunk

Who started Mithraism?

When and where did Mithraism get started?

How did you come to your conclusion that Christianity is a copy of Mithraism?

What books did you read?

Have you read any books or articles that respond to those claims or allegations? If so, which ones? If not, would you be willing to read one and let me know what you think?

What stories specifically in the Bible were cherry picked from Mithraism?

Can you tell me the original places (chapter and verses) in the ancient writings where those stories were taken from?

February 27, 2013 at 1:28 pm |
    • .

Oh poor baby you weren't getting the response you wanted so you had to post it here. You're the coward idiot.

February 27, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
    • Herbie

These self-pointed atheist experts do not know what they are talking about. They are passing along hearsay. They post on here all day long, for free. Nobody will pay them for their opinion. Because it is worthless.

February 27, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
    • HotAirAce

So Herbie, prove your god exists. While you are at it, prove the so-called Virgin Mary wasn't just another slut that banged every goatherder she could when Joseph wasn't looking.

February 27, 2013 at 1:38 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

you're asking for a lot of information. why don't you answer your own questions first. a little internet research will go a long way. seriously, there are a ton of websites with this info. but here's a little something to help you get started:

–Mithra was born of a virgin on December 25 in a cave, and his birth was attended by shepherds bearing gifts.
      –He was considered a great traveling teacher and master.
      –He had 12 companions or disciples.
      –Mithra's followers were promised immortality.
      –He performed miracles.
      –As the "great bull of the Sun," Mithra sacrificed himself for world peace.
      –He was buried in a tomb and after three days rose again.
      –His resurrection was celebrated every year.
      –He was called "the Good Shepherd" and identified with both the Lamb and the Lion.
      –He was considered the "Way, the Truth and the Light," and the "Logos," [Word] "Redeemer," "Savior" and "Messiah."
      –His sacred day was Sunday, the "Lord's Day," hundreds of years before the appearance of Christ.
      –Mithra had his principal festival on what was later to become Easter.
      –His religion had a Eucharist or "Lord's Supper," at which Mithra said, "He who shall nto eat of my body nor drink of my blood so that he may be one with me and I with him, shall not be saved."
      –"His annual sacrifice is the Passover of the Magi, a symbolical atonement of pledge of moral and physical regeneration."

to say christianity is not based on Mitra is silly. you are obviously blind to facts because you're a christian and christians hate facts. and it's not only mitra that christianity plagiarized - plenty of other gods/faiths too. look it up.

February 27, 2013 at 1:42 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

btw, there are ZERO original texts for the bible. ZERO. fairy tales about mitra and yahweh have no original texts. but mitra/zoroastrianism is clearly much older. the christian stories, that came later, are remarkably the same. seriously, do the math. it's obvious christianity is a bad copy.

February 27, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
    • sam stone

Hearsay, Herbie? Like the New Testament?

February 27, 2013 at 1:48 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

"Both Mithras and Christ were described variously as 'the Way,' 'the Truth,' 'the Light,' 'the Life,' 'the Word,' 'the Son of God,' 'the Good Shepherd.' The Christian litany to Jesus could easily be an allegorical litany to the sun-god. Mithras is often represented as carrying a lamb on his shoulders, just as Jesus is. Midnight services were found in both religions. The virgin mother...was easily merged with the virgin mother Mary. Petra, the sacred rock of Mithraism, became Peter, the foundation of the Christian Church."
      Gerald Berry, Religions of the World

"Mithra or Mitra is...worshipped as Itu (Mitra-Mitu-Itu) in every house of the Hindus in India. Itu (derivative of Mitu or Mitra) is considered as the Vegetation-deity. This Mithra or Mitra (Sun-God) is believed to be a Mediator between God and man, between the Sky and the Earth. It is said that Mithra or [the] Sun took birth in the Cave on December 25th. It is also the belief of the Christian world that Mithra or the Sun-God was born of [a] Virgin. He travelled far and wide. He has twelve satellites, which are taken as the Sun's disciples.... [The Sun's] great festivals are observed in the Winter Solstice and the Vernal Equinox—Christmas and Easter. His symbol is the Lamb...."\
      Swami Prajnanananda, Christ the Saviour and Christ Myth

there's a couple books/authors for you. next time do be so lazy.

February 27, 2013 at 1:51 pm |
    • Don't be a coward

@ Booty

Claim: Mithras was born of a virgin on December 25th, in a cave, attended by shepherds

Truth: Mithras was actually born out of solid rock, LEAVING a cave.

He was NOT born of a virgin (unless you consider the rock mountain to have been a virgin).

His birth WAS celebrated on December 25th, but the first Christians knew this was not the true date of Christ’s birth anyway, and both Mithras worshippers and the Roman Catholic Church borrowed this celebration from earlier winter solstice celebrations.

Shepherds ARE part of the Mithras mythology, witnessing his birth and helping Mithras emerge from the rock, but interestingly, the shepherds exist in the birth chronology at a time when humans are not supposed to have been yet born.

This, coupled with the fact that the earliest version of this part of the Mithras mythology appears one hundred years AFTER the appearance of the New Testament, points to the fact that it is far more likely that the Mithras legend borrowed from Christianity rather than the other way around.

February 27, 2013 at 2:32 pm |
    • Don't be a coward

Claim: Mithras was considered a great traveling teacher and master

Truth: There is nothing in the Mithras tradition that indicates he was a teacher on ANY kind, but he was could have been considered a master of sorts.

But why would we expect ANY deity to be anything less than a great teacher and master?

Most deities and mythologies describe their gods in this way.

February 27, 2013 at 2:33 pm |
    • Don't be a coward

Claim: Mithras had 12 companions or disciples

Truth: There is no evidence for any of this in the traditions of Iran or Rome.

It is possible that the idea that Mithras had 12 disciples is simply because there exists a mural in which Mithras is surrounded by twelve signs and personages of the Zodiac (two of whom are the moon and the sun)...

...and even this imagery is POST Christian, and cannot contribute to the imagery of Christianity (although it could certainly have borrowed from Christianity).

February 27, 2013 at 2:34 pm |
    • Don't be a coward

Claim: Mithras sacrificed himself for world peace

Truth: There is little or no evidence that any of this is true, although there is a story about Mithras slaying a threatening bull in a heroic deed.

But that’s about as close as it gets.

February 27, 2013 at 2:35 pm |
    • Don't be a coward

Claim: Mithras was called “the Good Shepherd”, and was identified with both the Lamb and the Lion

Truth: There is NO evidence that Mithras was ever called “the Good Shepherd” or identified with a lamb, but Since Mithras was a sun-god, there was an association with Leo (the House of the Sun in Babylonian astrology), so one might say that he was associated with a Lion.

But once again, all of this evidence is actually POST New Testament, and cannot therefore be borrowed by Christianity.

February 27, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
    • Hike Muckabee

Holy shit, no one cares. It's all myths. Christianity's not original, don't bother pretending it is.

February 27, 2013 at 2:45 pm |
    • Don't be a coward

@there's a couple books/authors for you. next time do be so lazy.

Those are 2 exact quotes on an atheist website if you google "Jesus Mithras".

Talk about lazy.

February 27, 2013 at 2:48 pm |
    • Don't be a coward

@ BOOTY

–He was considered a great traveling teacher and master.
      –He had 12 companions or disciples.
      –Mithra's followers were promised immortality.
      –He performed miracles.
      –As the "great bull of the Sun," Mithra sacrificed himself for world peace.
      –He was buried in a tomb and after three days rose again.
      –His resurrection was celebrated every year.
      –Mithra had his principal festival on what was later to become Easter.

THERE IS ZERO EVIDENCE FOR THIS? CAN YOU SHOW AT LEAST 1/2 OF THESE CLAIMS? OTHER THAN LOONY ATHEIST WEBSITES THAT ARE DERIVED FROM EACH OTHER?

Start with #1. Where did you learn that Mithra was born of a virgin on December 25?

Post a source.