home
RSS
Atheist group apologizes for misquoting Palin, but defends billboard's intent
March 4th, 2013

Atheist group apologizes for misquoting Palin, but defends billboard's intent

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – An atheist group that misquoted former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin in a billboard in Texas is apologizing to the Republican and correcting the mistake. But it continues to defend the “intent and context” of the effort.

CNN first reported on Sunday that American Atheists, a group known for its in-your-face tactics, was sponsoring a billboard calling out Palin for something she said while on Fox News.

“We should create law based on the God of the Bible,” the billboard reads.

The only problem: That isn’t what Palin said.

In an interview with Fox News’ Bill O'Reilly, Palin addressed the growth in American secularism by saying of America's founding fathers “we would create law based on the God of the Bible and the Ten Commandments,” not “should.”

Dave Muscato, the group’s public relations director, said in a release that because American Atheists holds itself “to the highest standards of accuracy,” it will “move the quotation marks at our expense, so they do not include the word ‘should.’”

Both Muscato and David Silverman, the group’s president, however, stand by the “intent and context” of the billboard.

“While I admit that the word 'should' should technically not be inside the quote, the meaning was correct,” Silverman said in a statement to CNN.

Silverman initially defended the misquotation, tweeting that “Sarah Palin was NOT Misquoted” and directing readers to a headline from a Huffington Post story. The story headline, however, was also incorrect and did not put quotes around should.

Silverman was critiqued for that double down. Hemant Mehta, an influential atheist blogger at Patheos, wrote that a mistake like this “sheds doubt on the whole idea that atheists are the ones who are being honest with you.”

Although Silverman said in an e-mail to CNN that he believes “Ms. Palin would stand by what we have quoted her as saying,” he said “all future quotes will be exactly as spoken.”

A spokeswoman for Palin failed to respond to CNN’s request for a comment and has not contacted American Atheists about the mistake.

Although Palin’s billboard is getting the most attention, it was one of seven ads going up around the Dallas and Austin, Texas, area. Also featured were: former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, the Rev. Robert Jeffress, pastor at the First Baptist Church in Dallas, and Benedict XVI, now the pope emeritus.

Santorum is condemned for when he told an Iowa crowd last November that, “our civil laws have to comport with a higher law: God's law,” while Gingrich is criticized for a remark he made at a CNN debate on October 18, 2011, in Las Vegas. “How can I trust you with power if you don't pray,” Gingrich posited.

Virginia Davis, spokeswoman for Santorum, thanked American Atheists for the publicity.

“At a time when many are trying to remove God from the public square, the senator is appreciative of someone helping him very publicly express his strong belief that we are one nation under God,” Davis wrote in an e-mail to CNN.

The billboards cost the group $25,000 and will be up for the rest of the month.

American Atheists is used to controversy around their billboards.

Last March, the group targeted Muslims and Jews with billboards that called God a "myth" in both Arabic and Hebrew and the same group posted a billboard around the holiday season in 2010 that read, “You KNOW it's a Myth. This Season, Celebrate REASON.”

Both these billboard campaigns generated resistance and praise from the communities around them.

Silverman, who has been criticized for this brand of atheism, has long defended the tactic, saying confrontation is meant to “grow the cause and benefit the country.”

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Politics • Sarah Palin

soundoff (2,069 Responses)
  1. Austin.

If Satan tempted Christ and Christ insisted in dying for our sins, and was resurrected, Should your child know about it? What about a Hindu? Who deserves to know the truth?

What would Satan do?

March 5, 2013 at 5:33 pm |
    • JWT

My children have no need to know about your mythology. Only people that are interested in it for any reason have any interest in knowing about it. It's like knowing about the private lives of hollywood stars and starlets. Of no interest or value.

March 5, 2013 at 5:37 pm |
    • Bob

The whole "Christ died for your sins" story is utter bullshit. It's a huge steaming pile. Christians, think this through a bit. how is it again that your omnipotent being couldn't do his saving bit without the whole silly Jesus hoopla? And how was Jesus' death a "sacrifice", when an omnipotent being could just pop up a replacement son any time with less than a snap of his fingers? Pretty pathetic "god" that you've made for yourself there.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
      Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

March 5, 2013 at 5:37 pm |
    • Austin.

Because we were never supposed to die and we were created for eternal communion with your father , God.

And that has been restored in such a way that you have the path of atonement, pep entente, blessing, communion, and eternal life.

Your flesh is weak and deceiving, this is why you need a savior. Because God has a hilt attribute that he decided an intercessor would suffice and bridge. I. He interviened because of love.

March 5, 2013 at 5:55 pm |
    • Roger that

' Should your child know about it?'

Don't worry Austin. My children will be educated on the subject of religion.

'What would Satan do?'

If he were real? Who knows? What would Dr. Evil do?

March 5, 2013 at 6:16 pm |
    • Bob

Austin, spend some time learning to read and write before you post again. Read carefully, and next time, try to consider what you have been presented with. Try to respond on topic, for a change. So, again:

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
      Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

March 5, 2013 at 6:19 pm |
    • Akira

Austin, do you think you should teach your children about Hindu? Don't your children deserve to know that, too?

Roger that: exactly. My children have been educated also.

March 5, 2013 at 6:25 pm |

What question?

Why would He need a replacement Son when He was resurrected? Do you see the problem with your question? if He was not, he would not be God, and that would not be His son.

March 5, 2013 at 6:25 pm |
    • Austin

If Jesus is resurrected then what good is Hinduism?

March 5, 2013 at 6:27 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Austin

It's just so sad. You're asking questions about "if you're right" yet automatically assuming you are right. Demonstrate your assertions or stop being a favoritist asshat.

March 5, 2013 at 6:32 pm |
    • Akira

Well, I am fairly sure that Hindus are also aware of Jesus, so I guess the point is moot, isn't it?

March 5, 2013 at 6:39 pm |
    • Austin

Hawaii guest, Did Paul's ministry after he was ordained by the holy spirit consist of testing multiple theories, or debating philosophy. No that is worthless. He proclaimed truth because it was a fact, and he had a special responsibility to deliver truth because it came from God. I think he was killed for it. I know 10 of the twelve were.

March 5, 2013 at 6:39 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

HG, the stupidity is strong in this one. He can't see any value in educating someone about other religions because what good is it to know about them if yours is the only "true" one?

It's like some idiot telling people that there's no reason to learn about classical music because rock is the best.

Fvcking moron.

March 5, 2013 at 6:39 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Austin

And once again, you are completely incapable of actually addressing my post, and instead fall back to your moronic tactic of preaching, and making assertions to things that are completely irrelevant. This is why I said you're insane. This is why I call you a dishonest pile of shit, and everytime you post as you have, it further proves my point.

March 5, 2013 at 6:42 pm |
    • A Frayed Knot

Austin,
      " I know 10 of the twelve were." [killed for their beliefs]

You know no such thing.

The ident'ities and eventual fates of most of the "Apostles" are quite unverified. Legends and traditional stories about them abound, however.

March 5, 2013 at 6:43 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Austin

So please, continue. Keep going and invalidating any claim of ad-hominem attack you might make in the future. You're only hurting your own case by being as dishonest as you are.

March 5, 2013 at 6:43 pm |
    • Austin

Tom no duh, The messiah outweighs a mystical man made club. If the resurrection is true it is more important than the big bang theory. ThenHoly spirit has revealed himself, he is god with a ministry involving the atonement for sin. Eternal life. What is moremimportant than insisting on this to spare people's eternal destiny.

If I was a Hindu, there is no way I would feel a need to share it . What does it matter?

March 5, 2013 at 6:43 pm |
    • Austin

Hawaii, I don't have any reason in an ad hom attack or name calling. If someone has a wicked slander against the ministry of the holy spirit I will call it evil. But unbelief is tolerable to me. I was that guy. I hated faith.

March 5, 2013 at 6:47 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Austin

So now you take a single part of my post, claim it doesn't apply to you, and completely ignore the point I made about you not addressing points. Pathetic.

March 5, 2013 at 6:49 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Austin, How did he determine the truth? He wasn't there after all.

March 5, 2013 at 6:51 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Austin

Tell me, are you just physically and mentally incapable of responding with relevant posts, or is it something else? Do you not want to have to defend anything that you say? If that's the case, go preach in church where everyone already agrees with you.

March 5, 2013 at 6:51 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Austin, The resurrection is not true nor the stories it borrowed from. So Big Bang rules then?

March 5, 2013 at 6:53 pm |
    • Austin

Hawaii guest, my computer just erased a long response.

If man can't sustain faith, butnGod can,

Given that the holy spirit is a spirit and that Jesusnresurrection was 2000 years ago, would you allow God to demonstrate to you proof of His existence? Not through past physical proof, but current spiritual communication, would you allow God to provide His own way of fulfilling personal evidence?

March 5, 2013 at 7:07 pm |
    • Akira

Well, I would say that every other religion in the world cares about as much for yours as you do for theirs, Austin.
      Stalemate. I should think this will be the end of you bringing them up, then.

March 5, 2013 at 7:10 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Akira, I'd swear this idiot was a poe. I don't think I've ever seen someone so friggin' blind, deaf and dumb.

March 5, 2013 at 7:17 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Austin

So all you have is more pathetic blathering that's completely irrelevant to anything I'm posting.

March 5, 2013 at 7:27 pm |
    • sam

Austin, I hate to break it to you, but it wasn't your computer that erased that 'poast'. It was god. Even he's getting tired of this.

March 5, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
    • Austin

The problem is this slow little I pad with no mouse or keyboard and a spell check that changes words . Ill try to do better. I need my computer back.

March 5, 2013 at 7:30 pm |
    • Austin

Hawaii, what question did I miss? You said demonstrate your assertions. I have demonstrated to you visions through an oral oath , and explained that God is spirit, now that his resurrection was two thousand years ago, he has interviened, and you can approach him for personal experiential evidence on His terms, and he will be there for you,

No one else can demonstrate God to you, besides God. You can't tell him to become a man again and do a miricle. He left the holy spirit with us. The holy spirit will reveal himself to you. He will guide you and communicate with you in a way that only you can understand.

March 5, 2013 at 7:37 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Austin

None of what you said is a demonstration of anything other than your inability to know what the difference between an assertion and evidence is.

March 5, 2013 at 7:39 pm |

What is a Poe ?

March 5, 2013 at 7:41 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

You meet the criteria.

March 5, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

"without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism"

March 5, 2013 at 7:46 pm |
    • Austin

Sincere experience with spiritual revelation and centered in the bible. Demonic revelation, revelation of God,s word, transcription of my thoughts about the spiritual light in the eye into a peers dream that night, Dream about a meaningless event in the future. More than tn I my life 6 came in 3.5 months, all having different interacting factors to prove relevency and supernatural quality.

He is risen.

March 5, 2013 at 7:59 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

I'm thinking Austin is a Poe as well now. I'm done wasting time on his idiocy.

March 5, 2013 at 8:34 pm |
    • Akira

Tom, Tom, if he is, and I suspect that he has to be, he is one of the best (?) I've ever encountered.

Sam: shouldn't that be poest?

March 5, 2013 at 9:13 pm |
    • Robert Brown

I don’t think he is kidding. He knows too much spiritual truth.

March 5, 2013 at 9:29 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Nobody said he was kidding, Robert. Look up the term "poe."

I think Austin is a poe, and probably posts under other names as well, but who knows for sure? I just won't engage with him any further.

March 5, 2013 at 9:52 pm |
    • Robert Brown

I did look it up. Doesn’t it mean that you can’t tell the difference if someone is literally taking a fundamentally extreme position or they are just pulling your leg? They are either sincere or kidding, right? So, you believe he is sincere, but still call him poe?

March 5, 2013 at 10:00 pm |

• @Robert-
      Some of us are well-versed. You and I have spoken as one Christian to another.

March 5, 2013 at 10:05 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

No, Robert, I don't believe he's sincere. I don't care if he's well-versed or not. I think he's posting an extreme view of belief to elicit a response. Just like SOC, he doesn't really believe what he writes. He just does it for attention.

March 5, 2013 at 10:09 pm |
    • Austin

Tom Tom, i really enjoy the opportunity to challenge you to test the holy spirit. If you gave me your email address I could send you copies of the dreams I write down. I live in Lincoln Nebraska. On Saturday night I attend christs place church ( pastor Rick lorimer) and have a men's bible study at 9 am called every man a warrior (a book we study) , I go to worship at Lincoln Berean sunday morning 1045 ( pastor Brian clark) and then Sunday night Indian hills church( gil rugh ) Tuesday night bible study, which tonight I skipped. I listen to online sermons at one place.com.

March 5, 2013 at 10:17 pm |

Poe.

March 5, 2013 at 10:19 pm |
    • Robert Brown

Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son,
      Ok, so I called it kidding and I guess it is, but you label it poe, because he is doing it to spur debate. Even if you talked with someone face to face, they could fool you. You can’t really know a person’s heart by what they say. You would have to see what they do, and even at that people fool people for years, before their true nature shows.

March 5, 2013 at 10:20 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I don't care what is in his heart. He's posted absolute nonsense and exhibits signs of psychosis. THAT may be the source of his mania.

March 5, 2013 at 10:23 pm |
    • Robert Brown

Austin,

I think you are being sincere and if I am correct you should probably not put so much personal information in your posts, like where you live and so on.

March 5, 2013 at 10:29 pm |
    • Austin

Robert. Why do you think I am kidding?
      I have 3 eight foot signs that I ran 550 feet of wire to light up, I built them and painted 26 “When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me. 27 And you also must testify, for you have been with me from the beginning.

In red letter, and then one has isaiahn53 verses about the suffering savior as prophesy, and rom 5:8 and 10 : 19. As gospel. Input it on a special concrete board and stencils the kletters and painted the verses
      Spent a few g... I proclaim the. Ministry of thenHoly spirit. I have not lied about anything. I go around handing out cards with verses and an invite to christs place, and I listen to max MacLaine audio bible all day. I love it. The spirit is alive and reveals himself.

March 5, 2013 at 10:32 pm |
    • Austin

Robert ok thanks. Enough said I appreciate your concern . There is nothing to worry about .

The courage I have was given as a light. I engage as people declare things such as abrahamic myth. I have what it takes to combat deception.

March 5, 2013 at 10:36 pm |
    • Robert Brown

Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son,

The Lord chose all sorts of personalities for his disciples. Peter seemed to have a very aggressive nature.

March 5, 2013 at 10:39 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh? You met him, did you?

Honestly, I've known many wonderful Christians, and none of them are like you.

March 5, 2013 at 10:41 pm |
    • Robert Brown

Austin,

I don’t think you are kidding. I was discussing the meaning of poe with Tom. I think you are sincere and proclaiming the good news. God bless you.

March 5, 2013 at 10:45 pm |
    • Robert Brown

Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son,
      Met Peter? No, but I have read about him in the gospel accounts. He seemed very fiery don’t you think?

March 5, 2013 at 10:49 pm |
    • breathe deep

If christ died for our sins, why does my son need to be baptized?

March 6, 2013 at 1:46 am |
    • Austin

The baptism of the holy spirit is the same as asking for forgiveness when you receive the holy spirit.

You don't have to be water baptized to be saved. Water baptism is a public declaration of faith. But salvation comes simply through asking forgiveness in faith. Just faith.

March 6, 2013 at 1:52 am |
    • breathe deep

My question still remains:

Why does my son need to be forgiven for crimes he did not commit?

March 6, 2013 at 2:23 am |
    • Austin

He only needs forgiveness for sins, not crimes he did not commit. We are born with inherited original sin. For all have sinned.

March 6, 2013 at 2:30 am |
    • breathe deep

So my son needs to be forgiven for the sin of being procreated?

March 6, 2013 at 2:34 am |
    • fintastic

Austin in a nutshell...... confuses fantasy with reality. End of story.

March 6, 2013 at 12:18 pm |
  2. pman

I hear a alot of atheist tallk about scientfic facts yet my simple question is this. How did the wolrd, planets, sun, solar sysytem all come into being? If you say a Big Bang did it, show me the science that shows out out of comeplete chaos order erupts. You laugh at me for beleiveing what you call a fairy tale, but yet have no problem accepting the story a big bang happened and everything just fell in place, all day, every day since then. 24 hours in one day, seasons come at the same time, etc. oh by the way scientist, attacking the question is not an answer. Again sceince can be duplicated. Show me.

March 5, 2013 at 5:17 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

No one yet knows all the answers. That doesn't mean a god must have been involved.

March 5, 2013 at 5:20 pm |
    • Mr Chihuahua

Fuck off lol!

March 5, 2013 at 5:24 pm |
    • Freebeing

"Show me" is a sign of your ignorance. Teach yourself and youll understand it. Its really not terribly complex

March 5, 2013 at 5:25 pm |
    • Colin

pman, not following your logic. Surely you're not saying that because science has not got all the answers yet, the Judeo christian god must have done it!!

March 5, 2013 at 5:26 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

pman. Show how the biblical version is true. Show some evidence of god. Did you study science at school? If you had you would know what a day is and what a year is and the scientific underpinning for them. There is plenty of material explaining how the universe and the solar system and the earth came into being. Try the Smithsonian or Nat Geo among others.

March 5, 2013 at 5:28 pm |
    • Fallacy Spotting 101

Post by 'pman' is essentially an instance of the Argument from Ignorance fallacy.

March 5, 2013 at 5:29 pm |
    • Timmy

One day on Earth hasn't always been 24 hours, and days are actually getting longer so that in a few billion years a day could be as long as 60 24 hour days.

March 5, 2013 at 5:29 pm |
    • Nog

Doesn't matter. In a few billion years, humans as we know them today won't be around.

March 5, 2013 at 5:33 pm |
    • Blaine

The ocean is getting saltier too and it would have been way different fifty million years ago, it would not have sustained marine life as we know it.

March 5, 2013 at 6:04 pm |
  3. Mohammad, A. Dead Subject

Hey Sarah, is that your cup size you are giving?

March 5, 2013 at 5:01 pm |
  4. The raison d'etre for atheism is God
    March 5, 2013 at 4:21 pm |
    • ME II

You may want to retake your French class,... or the Logic class, whichever.

March 5, 2013 at 4:24 pm |
    • West Palm Beach

Atheistic nations of the world are the most prosperous.

March 5, 2013 at 4:25 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Someone said that if atheism is a religion then off is a television channel. But you're right. It's a shame we need a word for atheism. God, however imaginary, is the reason for it.

March 5, 2013 at 4:28 pm |
    • The raison d'etre for god is ignorance

March 5, 2013 at 4:33 pm |
    • Facts

# WPB -Get your facts checked, you are wrong.

March 5, 2013 at 4:56 pm |
    • Get your grammar checked.

"Facts", provide references to support your claim, and learn how and where to use a comma.

Sign on evangelical church: "Check brain at door."

March 5, 2013 at 5:32 pm |
    • Facts

well,grammar, go, look, up,yourself, use, a search, engine.sound, good?

March 5, 2013 at 6:07 pm |
  5. Andy

As a Catholic, I believe the discussion between believers and non-believers should be more civilized and less hateful. There are extremists on both sides.

March 5, 2013 at 4:19 pm |
    • ME II

I agree, however I'm curious what that has to do with being Catholic.

March 5, 2013 at 4:31 pm |
    • sam

Yes, what's it to do with being Catholic?

And what's with the sudden influx of 'baww, this blog is mean'? I think I've counted 4 complainers today.

March 5, 2013 at 4:42 pm |
    • NickZadick

Non-believers believe in science and fact... Believers as you say, believe in thousands of different myths and paraboles written by total strangers in which you know nothing about which promise eternal life for choosing THEIR clan...

You make it sound like the argument is 50/50..! it is not...fairy tales have little weight when compared to observable facts!

March 5, 2013 at 4:56 pm |
    • who

cares

March 5, 2013 at 10:36 pm |
  6. Live4Him

@lunchbreaker : The real issue behind the question seems to be if an individual can decide how thier tax dollars are spent.

The real issue is which religious values are taught to their children : atheism (i.e. big bang / evolution / safe sex) or some other religious values.

@lunchbreaker : Public schools are funded by the public, private schools are funded privately.

So you support the state-funded religion of atheism.

March 5, 2013 at 4:18 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Live4Him

"State funded religion of atheism"
      Perhaps you missed an earlier post:

The prefix "A" = lack of
      Theism = Belief in Gods.
      A + Theism = Lack of belief in Gods.

It is akin to calling the singer in a band an "a-instrumentalist".
      The term describes only what they don't do, just as "atheism" described only what one doesn't believe.
      NOT believing is the anti-thesis of religion (which is predicated on belief), just as being asymptomatic is the opposite of displaying symptoms.

March 5, 2013 at 4:23 pm |
    • ME II

@Live4Him,
      Is math part of the "religion of atheism"? It doesn't presume a god.
      How about Health? or Phys Ed?

March 5, 2013 at 4:23 pm |
    • Alias

All major religions have the same values, and that is not a topic schools are supposed to teach.

March 5, 2013 at 4:28 pm |
    • Darth AnViL

ROTFLMAO – now science and health are considered "atheist studies".

too funny.

live4him – i swear – you are the source of some of the best comedy on this blog.

March 5, 2013 at 4:35 pm |
    • lunchbreaker

I was addressing the question "should the funding follow the child"? That is a tax issue.

March 5, 2013 at 4:35 pm |
    • ME II

@Live4Him,
      "... atheism (i.e. big bang / evolution / safe se.x) ..."

Are you denying the existence of condoms now?

March 5, 2013 at 4:41 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

We don't actually need to promote atheism as such, Live4Him. Religion can't hold up under ordinary critical thinking, which we should teach and promote. Do you disagree?

March 5, 2013 at 4:45 pm |
    • Chad

"Religion can't hold up under ordinary critical thinking, which we should teach and promote. Do you disagree"

=>I think you meant, "atheism cant hold up under critical thinking.. right? All those pesky questions that have no atheist answer.

– How was the universe created?
      – How was life on earth created?
      – Why does the universe obey laws?
      – if energy cant be created naturally, why does it exist?
      – Why dont you feel that I have free will?
      – Why was Jesus crucified?
      – Why was His tomb found empty?
      – Why did so many people report meeting a resurrected Jesus?
      – Why has no detail of the bible ever been proven wrong?
      – Why are you so convinced that the God of Israel isnt real? You dont seem to know anything about Him..?

March 5, 2013 at 4:59 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Some of those questions are not legitimate because there's not enough evidence that the conditions exist to make the question valid. Some of those questions are correctly ansxwered (atheist or theist) with; "We don't know." Then again, some muslims believe that their answers are best and also best supported by the "evidence."

March 5, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Chad. You keep posting comments like "no detail of the bible has ever been proven wrong" well the creation myth has been proven wrong. Scientific explanations for the origin of the universe and the origin of species exist and prove the bible wrong.

March 5, 2013 at 5:09 pm |
    • Timmy

Another question that atheists can't answer is: Why do Christians repeatedly claim that nothing in the bible has ever been found to be wrong? When that is complete and utter BS?

March 5, 2013 at 5:11 pm |
    • K-switch

Chad, nice of you to show up. Liv4Him is being anti evolution and the Big Bang. You might want to go since you don't discuss that with other believers. Just go away and know that Liv4Him thinks you, a fellow believer, is an idiot.

March 5, 2013 at 5:14 pm |
    • Truth Prevails

Timmy: Where the hell do you get that idea??? However, the buybull can't be taken any more literally than Harry Potter. The few historical facts it (the buybull) makes are quite normal for any book of fiction.

March 5, 2013 at 5:20 pm |
    • Salero21

K-switch. Live4Him = Chad

March 5, 2013 at 5:20 pm |
    • Akira

Safe sex is atheistic? Really? Since when? Science is atheistic? Really? Since when?
      They teach kids not to believe in the existence of gods? Really? Since when?

Not in any school my children or I have ever been involved in. Must be a new thing.

March 5, 2013 at 5:27 pm |
    • Doobs

Hello Chad,

Which of your other screen names are you going to use today? Rachel?

You're still a liar posting the same crap over and over, expecting us to take you seriously.

March 5, 2013 at 5:30 pm |
    • Akira

Live4Him: So you support the state-funded religion of atheism.

Wow. What a leap of a conclusion. Yeesh.

March 5, 2013 at 5:32 pm |
    • Timmy

My point is that "the bible is never wrong" is complete and utter BS, and I have no answer as to why Christians like Chad keep lying by making that claim.

March 5, 2013 at 5:32 pm |
    • Austin.

We can assert as true, that the prophetic foreshadowing of Moses festival calendar , Passover, unleavened bread, first fruits, feast of weeks, how this was the schedule of messiahs crucifixion, resurrection, and assencion 1400 years in advance, and passages such as Isaiah 53 of the suffering and rejected savior of Israel as portrayed by Israel,

We can assert that this is the living Word of God!!!!!!

March 5, 2013 at 5:47 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Austin,

you can make all the assertions you want, but that won't make them accurate.

March 5, 2013 at 5:51 pm |
    • Chad

@Santa "Scientific explanations for the origin of the universe and the origin of species exist and prove the bible wrong."
      @Chad "really? dont know how I missed that.. where?

======
      @Timmy ""the bible is never wrong" is complete and utter BS"
      @Chad "what in the bible has been proved wrong?"

March 5, 2013 at 6:08 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Why bother listing them? You'll just lie, deny, deflect, and lie some more, Rachel. Or is it Chad this time?

March 5, 2013 at 6:13 pm |
  7. Honey Badger Dont Care

When they've done nothing to apologize for there is no reason to apologize. I think that they failed us by apologizing.

March 5, 2013 at 4:11 pm |
    • ME II

They did misquote her didn't they?

March 5, 2013 at 4:16 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

How many of her own gaffes has she apologized for? http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/sarahpalin/a/palinisms_2.htm

March 5, 2013 at 5:33 pm |
  8. Tom LI

"We would..." vs "we should"...? In my world "should" is more of a maybe we will, maybe we won't, where as "would" means that's our real intent, this is what we're going to do...!

Either way, she's wrong – and now thankfully gone!

March 5, 2013 at 4:10 pm |
  9. Sara Howells

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcyW7rMYR7A&w=640&h=360]

March 5, 2013 at 4:04 pm |
    • meifumado

Ya know there are things a man can do to Uranus Sara.

March 5, 2013 at 4:51 pm |
  10. Bob

Sarah who?

March 5, 2013 at 4:01 pm |
  11. SPA Knight

Are there any good looking atheists? I can't get Bill Maher out of my mind.

March 5, 2013 at 4:00 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

My partner is super hot, though she may fall more into the "apatheist" column given that she simply doesn't give a flying fig one way or the other.

As for why she's with me?
      "The Lord works in mysterious ways".
      (Google "Doc Vestibule" and my picture is the first one that comes up, smoking in front of the no smoking sign)

March 5, 2013 at 4:12 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Gwynyth Paltrow said:
      "Religion is the cause of all the problems in the world.
      I don't believe in organized religion at all. It's what separates people.
      One religion just represents fragments; it causes war.
      More people have died becuase of religious conflict than any other reason."

March 5, 2013 at 4:19 pm |
    • Esquire

Honestly Doc, are you really relying on Paltrow for advise? Are you going to quote Ms. Streep next?

March 5, 2013 at 4:27 pm |
    • midwest rail

Esquire – did you not notice the question raised in the original post ?

March 5, 2013 at 4:28 pm |
    • Doobs

Google is your friend, little troll.

Don't forget to take out the . in se.xiest, and next time, try not to be so boring.

March 5, 2013 at 4:45 pm |
    • Esquire

Midwest...Paltrow's rant is against religion...it doesn't address whether she believes in a god.

March 5, 2013 at 7:50 pm |
  12. Thoth

MEII – I disagree. Mythology is taught in that context. These courses are not like a religious study course – they are literally Bible Study – as in studying the bible as truth. And what of the Quran? Torah? etc...?

March 5, 2013 at 3:46 pm |
    • ME II

If that is the case then I agree with you.
      However, I would agree to a religious studies course or even selected "holy" texts, but it would be difficult to teach just the Bible without it being endorsement.

March 5, 2013 at 3:55 pm |
  13. Thoth

@Live – I notice you discuss religion in schools so I'm curious what your position would be on this:

March 5, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
    • curious

What is the study of atheism about?

March 5, 2013 at 3:24 pm |
    • There is no God
      March 5, 2013 at 3:27 pm |
    • Thoth

@Curious – it would be a course promoting Atheism and the fundamental reasoning supporting Atheism.

March 5, 2013 at 3:27 pm |
    • God does not exist

March 5, 2013 at 3:27 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

It would be a pretty easy course to ace since Atheism makes to positive assertions about anything whatsoever.
      The prefix "A" = lack of
      Theism = Belief in Gods.
      A + Theism = Lack of belief in Gods.

It is akin to calling the singer in a band an "a-instrumentalist".

March 5, 2013 at 3:28 pm |
    • curious

Can you elaborate some more on the reasoning supporting atheism.Sounds like an interesting study.

March 5, 2013 at 3:28 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

whoops –
      That should be "makes NO positive assertions"

March 5, 2013 at 3:29 pm |
    • There is no God

ˈāTHēˌizəm/
      Noun
      The theory or belief that God does not exist.

March 5, 2013 at 3:35 pm |
    • Thoth

@Curious – I'm not interested in debating the reasoning behind Atheism. As Doc pointed out, it's pretty simple.

The reason I ask the question about this is that there are several states that have, and another (NC) which is proposing legislation to allow public schools to offer Bible Study as an elective, and for credit towards graduation. It seems unfair to ask tax payers of various beliefs to fund an elective catering to Protestant Christians, and accept it as reasonable material for academic credit.

March 5, 2013 at 3:36 pm |
    • ME II

Definition of ATHEISM

archaic : ungodliness, wickedness
      a : a disbelief in the existence of deity
      b : the doctrine that there is no deity
      (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/atheism )

Personally, I an using 2.a. when using the term 'atheism'.

March 5, 2013 at 3:38 pm |
    • ME II

@Thoth,
      I see no issue with an elective class on the Bible being in a public school, as long as it is taught as "literature" and not as the Truth, then it seems no different than a class dedicated to the Greek Mythology or Shakespeare.

March 5, 2013 at 3:43 pm |
    • Will I Am

Thoth- One can see what a course on Biblical studies can offer to a student. What does the study of atheism offer to students?

March 5, 2013 at 3:50 pm |
    • Live4Him

@Thoth : Offering an elective in public high-schools called "atheistic studies" which would also count towards credit for graduation. Would you support this?

Isn't this already included with teachings on evolution and Big Bang? 🙂

March 5, 2013 at 4:01 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Will I Am. It could study the various religions; the evolution of belief; the evolution of religious texts; the favored position of christianity; point out the science that disproves the creation myths; point out the inconsistencies in religious texts; discuss the inconsistencies of belief. I'm sure there's more.

March 5, 2013 at 4:01 pm |
    • ME II

@Live4Him,
      "Isn't this already included with teachings on evolution and Big Bang?"

March 5, 2013 at 4:04 pm |
    • lunchbreaker

Liv4Him: There are Christians that believe in evolution and the big bang.

March 5, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
    • Will I Am

Santa

Got it! by that definition the study of atheism is an anti-christian world view?

March 5, 2013 at 4:06 pm |
    • Alias

I took a course in Womens Studies.
      Very dissapointing.

March 5, 2013 at 4:11 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Will I Am. Not really. Just that christianity is the big religion in the USA and the proposed class was "Bible Study" hence the specific reference to christianity.

March 5, 2013 at 4:20 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Will I Am. Just to be clear – the other points refer to all religions. Bear in mind christianity is only your religion because the Romans adopted it and spread it around Europe when they expanded their empire and the Europeans brought it to the New World when they expanded their empires.

March 5, 2013 at 4:24 pm |
    • Bram

@ME II

The father of the theory that became known as the Big Bang was a Catholic Priest.

March 5, 2013 at 4:28 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

The father of the interstate hwy system was Hitler; a person can have brilliant ideas and not be correct in all his beliefs.

March 5, 2013 at 4:31 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Is Lie4ever really so ignorant that it thinks that only those who are atheist or agnostic accept evolution as fact? That only non-religious people allow their children to receive s3x education in public schools? That all believers in Christ think that the creation story is for real?

What a moron.

March 5, 2013 at 4:33 pm |
    • ME II

@Bram,
      ... and a Deistic Jew (Einstein) expanded it and an Agnostic (Hubble) confirmed it. What's your point?

Science wins because it works! regardless of beliefs.

March 5, 2013 at 4:36 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

The OED uses this definition, which I prefer,

atheism, n,

Disbelief in, or denial of, the existence of a God. Also, Disregard of duty to God, godlessness (practical atheism).

The operative word is 'disbelief' – not positive belief in non-existence. The distinction is important to me.

March 5, 2013 at 5:40 pm |
    • Doobs

@ Bram

George Lemaitre was indeed a Catholic priest. Here's a little more about him.

"It was Lemaître's firm belief that scientific endeavour should stand isolated from the religious realm. With specific regard to his Big Bang theory, he commented: 'As far as I can see, such a theory remains entirely outside any metaphysical or religious question.' Lemaître had always been careful to keep his parallel careers in cosmology and theology on separate tracks, in the belief that one led him to a clearer comprehension of the material world, while the other led to a greater understanding of the spiritual realm... ...Not surprisingly, he was frustrated and annoyed by the Pope's deliberate mixing of theology and cosmology. One student who saw Lemaître upon his return from hearing the Pope's address to the Academy recalled him 'storming into class...his usual jocularity entirely missing'." Simon Singh (2010). Big Bang. HarperCollins UK. p. 362.

March 5, 2013 at 5:59 pm |
  14. Science

Dame thumbs !

March 5, 2013 at 2:52 pm |
  15. Live4Him

@Science : Please udated your ignore list thanks.

Why? I'm not ignoring your 'Appeal to Authority' posts. There is just nothing to discuss about them. Now, if YOU take a position, supporting it with facts, I'll address your points. But, I'm not going to go to the links you provide and debate the points the article raises and never get a response from the author. It is a waste of my valuable time.

@hawaiiguest : That was incredibly dishonest on the second part.

Ad hominem – Ignored.

@Saraswati : 1) If you [fund] religious schools you create the potential for an environment in which in a given community only one religious option may realistically exist which will not meet all needs and may in fact be offensive to the child who needs to attend.

You've ignored the public school option – Why couldn't the child attend a public school?

@Saraswati : 2) You create a legal nightmare in which you start to debate which schools have “approved” religions

You don't have to approve a given school. Rather, the government can (and some states do) require standardized test scores each year. So, the government is not in the business of approving any specific school – only the learning requirements.

@Saraswati : 3) Religions tend to stifle scientific thought in areas that conflict with their dogma.

An hominem. Home schooled students tend to do better in standardized tests than public school students – including in the scientific areas.

@Saraswati : If religious run schools were willing to provide an alternative secular curriculum

Now you're advocating the government be in the business of 'approving' specific schools.

March 5, 2013 at 2:35 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Live

Get over yourself. I explained exactly how you were dishonest, but just like with your dinosaur soft tissue argument, you conveniently ignore that part and go straight to self-righteous indignation. Are you so incapable of actually defending anything you say to where you need to find anything to feel persecuted about so you can avoid it?

March 5, 2013 at 2:39 pm |
    • Answer

The lying piece of sh!t Lie4 ... still at it.

March 5, 2013 at 2:54 pm |
    • Science

Facts work best L4H.which you seem to have a hard time with !

Peace

March 5, 2013 at 2:57 pm |
    • Saraswati

Answered in original thread.

March 5, 2013 at 3:01 pm |
    • JMEF

Science
      That really sounds like a profound statement for the bible, do not let facts get in the way of a good story. Probably why christians need 2000 years of apologetics and changes to try and keep the myth only 10 or 20 years behind science.

March 5, 2013 at 3:05 pm |
    • Salero21

Live4Him = Chad

March 5, 2013 at 3:08 pm |
    • Science

JMEF

That is what got science put on the list FACTS !

Logic overload for L4H ...

Peace

March 5, 2013 at 3:10 pm |
    • Live4Him

@Science : Facts work best L4H.which you seem to have a hard time with !

Then why do you continue to post articles on conclusions?

March 5, 2013 at 3:27 pm |
    • JMEF

L4H
      Science posts whatever he wants due to free will; the same reason that you can continue to post lies as much as you want, HALLELUJAH, thank the lard.

March 5, 2013 at 3:39 pm |
    • lunchbreaker

The real issue behind the question seems to be if an individual can decide how thier tax dollars are spent. In which case I would say no to funding "following the child". Public schools are funded by the public, private schools are funded privately. I attended a private Christian school and my parents paid more for me to go to high school than for my brother to go to college and paid thier taxes just the same. That was what they chose over the public option.

March 5, 2013 at 3:40 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What the liar is talking about is a voucher system. Such a system will take money away from already underfunded public schools. Private religious schools are NOT subject to the same stringent testing as public ones. Public schools must take any and all students; private schools can elect to turn away students that they don't want. Home-schooled kids do better not because they're home-schooled but because they have involved, caring parents who are working with them either in a small group setting or one on one.

Public schools don't have that luxury.

March 5, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

It's so interesting to see Live claim ad hominem when there is none. It's so sad when someone can't defend their own statements, and has to revert to a persecution complex to self-delude into not answering.

March 5, 2013 at 6:16 pm |
  16. Horus

Who cares if they put "should" instead of "would". Heck "would" is even worse. These whackos should be called out for their absurd comments. It still amazes me that the likes of Santorum, Gingrich and Palin would even be considered remotely Presidential. The GOP realizes that the nation has become more moderate but they continue to let radicals drive the ideology. They are prepared to wreck this country to have their way, and are arrogant enough to belive they have the right to legislate their opinions. Considering how bad the GOP got their tails handed to them last election, it would seem their God is not on their team..... Keep calling these crazies out for what they are.

March 5, 2013 at 2:34 pm |
    • Live4Him

@Horus : Who cares if they put "should" instead of "would". Heck "would" is even worse.

March 5, 2013 at 2:43 pm |
    • Horus

Live4Him – actually they are both conditional; and neither change the underlying notion that Palin supports a not-so-veiled Theocracy. She is also incorrect about the position of the "founding fathers", but based on reading your prior posts it seems any discourse will result in riding a merry-go-round of reinvisionment.

March 5, 2013 at 2:51 pm |
    • Mass Debater

"Palin's position is that IF we were following in the footsteps of the founding fathers, we would be passing God'based laws. Thus, 'would' is a conditional issue while 'should' is a requirement."

So L4H is saying that not only is Palin a Christian nut job but she is ignorant of our founding fathers as well since she obviously read as many of their letters and writings as she has magazines...

COURIC: And when it comes to establishing your world view, I was curious, what newspapers and magazines did you regularly read before you were tapped for this — to stay informed and to understand the world?
      PALIN: I’ve read most of them again with a great appreciation for the press, for the media, coming f—

COURIC: But like which ones specifically? I’m curious that you—

PALIN: Um, all of 'em, any of 'em that, um, have, have been in front of me over all these years. Um, I have a va—

COURIC: Can you name a few?

PALIN: I have a vast variety of sources where we get our news too. Alaska isn't a foreign country, where, it's kind of suggested and it seems like, 'Wow, how could you keep in touch with what the rest of Washington, D.C. may be thinking and doing when you live up there in Alaska?'

March 5, 2013 at 2:52 pm |
    • JMEF

Mass Debator
      Now those words could very well have come out of the mouth of L4H, thanks.

March 5, 2013 at 3:11 pm |
  17. Thoth

@Live – Here's what Jefferson helped draft for Virginia in 1786. Pretty sure he is considered a founder, and fairly certain this decree from Virginia Statute Law indicates he, and his state were not in support of state religions.

Will post more as I continue to disprove your claims about the founders supporting state religion.....

"Section II. We the General Assembly of Virginia do enact that no man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever, nor shall be enforced, restrained, molested, or burthened in his body or goods, nor shall otherwise suffer, on account of his religious opinions or belief; but that all men shall be free to profess, and by argument to maintain, their opinions in matters of religion, and that the same shall in no wise diminish, enlarge, or affect their civil capacities."

Jan 16, 1786

March 5, 2013 at 2:03 pm |
  18. Quest ion

I found this blog searching for another one. I noticed that posters don't have to login like in all other blogs and forums that I've seen. Why is that? I meant; how come i don't have to login to post? This lends itself to a lot of abuse I seen. Is there any moderator in here at all? I seen a whole lot of hatred and potty mouths, here. Or I should say a lot of potty fingers on potty keyboards. 😦

March 5, 2013 at 2:02 pm |
    • Mass Debater

People who think others might find out who they are and log in through social media tend to be more careful with what they post, it's true. However, that can end up stiffling real honest debate where people can say exactly whats on their minds without fear of any reprisal. This of course does create an opportunity for some to abuse it, though most of those are easy to avoid. It's not like anyone forces you to read anything on these boards, so anything you don't like just ignore. That is the price of true freedom.

March 5, 2013 at 2:08 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Quest ion, why are you reposting your assumptions in several threads at once?\

March 5, 2013 at 2:15 pm |
    • sam

Why would you want to come change this board when there are so many others out there that will likely suit your needs?

March 5, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
    • PottyBlaster

Quest seems fascinated with potties. Maybe it spends too much time near a tequila bottle.

March 5, 2013 at 2:24 pm |
    • lol??

An alphabet agency is collecting data.

March 5, 2013 at 3:13 pm |
    • meifumado

Stick to your fundie sites if you cant handle it.

And anyone who is offended by mere words is immature.

Remember "sticks and stones"?

March 5, 2013 at 4:44 pm |
  19. Robert Brown

Then the Lord told me: “I will give you my message in the form of a vision. Write it clearly enough to be read at a glance. At the time I have decided, my words will come true. You can trust what I say about the future. It may take a long time, but keep on waiting—it will happen! “I, the Lord, refuse to accept anyone who is proud. Only those who live by faith are acceptable to me.”
    (Hab. 2:2-4 CEV)

March 5, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
    • sam stone

Wow, a quote

March 5, 2013 at 2:13 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Any day now, that seven headed dragon that spews torrents of water will come looking for a pregnant woman to snack on. Just have faith.

March 5, 2013 at 2:29 pm |
    • Austin.

Oh my God, glorify your name, and because of your mercy and not our righteousness, we have been given grace and salvation. Help us we need you Lord.

Jehovah Jireh, the lord our provider.

March 5, 2013 at 2:36 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Oh Green Lord, whose face shines forth in the wheat and the barley as they arise from the renewed soil, after the Inundation brings Per-t, the Season of Growth. In your temple of Abydos, your priests prepare the renewed soil to plant the first seeds that will show you risen once more in your vigor. Bless the Two Lands, and all who live upon the Earth with your seed and growing crops! Serapis, Bull of His Mother, may your seed be potent for us!

March 5, 2013 at 2:49 pm |
    • Austin.

Doc, I'm hungry , gee I wonder what I can find to eat.

Where are you Doc? Hahaha

March 5, 2013 at 2:54 pm |
    • meifumado

Satan laughs, Damnation sinks its talons deep into the womb of utopia spilling forth great rivers of virginal purity and bliss.

March 5, 2013 at 4:46 pm |
  20. ME II

"Former state churches in British North America"

Colony Denomination Disestablished1
    Connecticut Congregational 1818
    Georgia Church of England 17892
    Maryland Catholic/Church of England 1701/1776
    Massachusetts Congregational 1780 (in 1833 state funding suspended)3
    New Brunswick Church of England
    Nova Scotia Church of England 1850
    Prince Edward Island Church of England
    South Carolina Church of England 1790
    Canada West Church of England 1854
    West Florida Church of England N/A6,8
    East Florida Church of England N/A7,8
    Virginia Church of England 17869
    West Indies Church of England 1868
    ^Note 1: In several colonies, the establishment ceased to exist in practice at the Revolution, about 1776;[8] this is the date of permanent legal abolition.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_church_and_state_in_the_United_States)

March 5, 2013 at 1:51 pm |