home
RSS
Obama pushes expedited timetable on immigration reform in meeting with faith leaders
March 8th, 2013

By Dan Merica, CNN
[twitter-follow screen_name='DanMericaCNN']

Washington (CNN) – President Barack Obama emphasized the need to get immigration reform accomplished this year in a meeting with a diverse group of faith leaders at the White House on Friday.

Religious leaders that attended the meeting said the president spent more than an hour with them, and after making a few remarks at the top of the meeting he let each group discuss their priorities and problems with comprehensive immigration reform. During the discussion, these faith leaders said, Obama made it clear that he wanted to see a bill on immigration reform in the next 60 days.

“I really sensed that this is a high priority for him,” Jim Wallis, president of Sojourners, a Christian social justice group, told CNN. “We are all looking at something being introduced this month and then the bill passing in May or June. We are all hoping that kind of time frame could work.”

Since winning reelection in 2012, the Obama administration has made it clear that immigration reform is a top priority for the president’s second term – and something they want to see quick action on. According to people who attended the meeting, in attendance, the president reiterated that support and laid out a timetable for the religious leaders.

Wallis, who has spearheaded a group of evangelical leaders on immigration reform, said that Obama particularly mentioned the importance of faith leaders in the immigration debate.

“He said that while every issue has politics, but on this question, it really was am moral issue to him and he sees the faith community as lifting that up,” Wallis said. “He was really fervent about the role of faith in this debate.”

“This was the broadest, most well-rounded group of folks that I have ever met with on this issue,” said Stephan Bauman, the president of World Relief. “And pretty much everyone in the room had a chance to share their opinion on the issue.”

In addition to Wallis and Bauman, both evangelical leaders, representatives from the Jewish, Muslim, Mormon and Catholic faiths were in attendance.

Bauman and Wallis said this was not only a religiously diverse group, but also politically diverse. The Christian leaders said that politically, the group represented both liberal and conservative political traditions. “This was not a bunch of left-leaning religious groups,” Wallis said.

A source who attended the meeting provided the full list of attendees to CNN:

Leith Anderson, National Association of Evangelicals
Stephan Bauman, President and CEO, World Relief
Bishop Minerva Carcaño, United Methodist Church
Rev. Luis Cortés, President, Esperanza
Barrett Duke, Southern Baptist Convention
Bishop Orlando Findlayter, Senior Pastor, New Hope Christian Fellowship
Archbishop José Horacio Gomez, Archdiocese of Los Angeles
Mark Hetfield, President and CEO, Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society
Rev. Kathryn Lohre, National Council of Churches
Imam Mohamed Magid, President, Islamic Society of North America
Rev. Samuel Rodriguez, President, National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference
Rev. Gabriel Salguero, President, National Latino Evangelical Coalition
Dieter Uchtdorf, Second Counselor, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
Jim Wallis, President and CEO, Sojourners
Cecilia Muñoz, Assistant to the President and Director of the Domestic Policy Council

In a statement about the meeting, the White House thanked the religious leaders for their attendance and said the group talked about how they could work to "swiftly pass... a commonsense immigration reform bill."

"The President and the leaders discussed the pillars the President has put forward for reform, including that any bill must include a pathway to earned citizenship, as well as measures to crack down on employers who game the system and exploit both American and immigrant workers, continuing to strengthen our border security, and strengthening the legal immigration system for families, employers, and workers," the statement said.

At the end of the meeting, the group offered a prayer, according to the White House.

Some faith leaders have long called for comprehensive immigration reform, but demand for reform has increased in the last few months.

“I think we have a window of opportunity in these first months of 2013,” Richard Land, president of the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, told CNN in January. “I think there is a real, new conversation on immigration reform.”

That window, Land acknowledged, is small and could close at any point. Congress has a number of issues to deal with in the coming year; Republican members of Congress hope to focus on government spending and the debt, while the White House is likely to push for gun control early in the president’s second term.

“I am hopeful that Congress can walk and chew gum and the same time,” Land said. “I am hopeful they can deal with more than one issue at the same time.”

In January, Land and a large group of other evangelical leaders took a big step towards pushing immigration reform by launching Evangelical Immigration Table, a group dedicated to making immigration reform a reality in 2013.

The group released an open letter to Congress and the White House. In it, they pressed Congress to respect “the God-given dignity of every person” and establish a “path toward legal status and/or citizenship for those who qualify and wish to become permanent residents.” In addition to meeting with Obama, Wallis tells CNN that over the last few months, the group has met with both Democratic and Republican leadership in the House and Senate, “from Chuck Schumer to Lindsey Graham.”

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Barack Obama • Immigration • Politics

1. forumsforjustice

The numbers, of illegal immigrants crossing the border, in anticipation of amnesty, are staggering. http://forumsforjustice.com/forums/showpost.php?p=728&postcount=1 …
    SAY NO TO AMNESTY

March 9, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
  2. kevobx

Colored is a slavery terminology, black people are not offend by truth. But will Puerto Ricans sell their soul to be hispanic. Colored means they are following Esau like they followed Saul. (1st Corinthians 8:6-7)

March 9, 2013 at 12:22 pm |
    • End Religion

Lying is expected hypocrisy within the church. How fucked up is that?
      rationalwiki.org/wiki/Pious_fraud
      mormonwiki.org/Lying_for_the_Lord

March 9, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
    • Akira

A bigot by any other nane is still a bigot. Hiding behind the cloak of piety doesn't change that. The term 'colored' encompasses many more than just black people.
      And Puerto Ricans ARE of hispanic descent.
      Psst...your bigotry is showing.

March 9, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
    • Salero21

Wow! Ignorance is so pervasive and prevalent.

Hispanic comes from the Latin HISPANIA, which is the name that the Romans in the days of the Roman Empire, gave to the region known today as Spain. From the name HISPANIA Spain got its name and the people got Hispanic. And YES PR's are Hispanics and so are in a way the Spaniards in Spain. However Hispanic is more proper for all of those of Spaniard heritage or descent. You don't say Hispanic in Spain they're Spaniards.

This is very similar to the Britons who lived in BRITANIA, which is the name given by the aforementioned Romans to the now known British Isles. Therefore from BRITANIA you have the British and the Great Britain.

In the same manner the Romans called back then the territory we all know now as Germany, GERMANIA. Equally they called GALIA the territory that became know as France. That’s why the French are sometimes called Gauls.

Got it?

March 9, 2013 at 7:54 pm |
    • His panic

Someone called me?

It looks like some are in a total state of Panic, they are panicking; I'am their Panic!

Good job Sal, kudos!

March 9, 2013 at 10:00 pm |
  3. kevobx

Why do people pray with their eyes close and with their face to the ground? The religious manner of reading the law of Moses *Nehemiah 8:6 and they bowed their heads, and worshipped the Lord with their faces to the ground. *Daniel 10:9-10 Yet heard I the voice of his words: and when I heard the voice of his words, then was I in a deep sleep on my face, and my face toward the ground. And, behold, an hand touched me, which set me upon my knees and upon the palms of my hand. *Isaiah 45:23 I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, and every tongue shall swear. *Psalm 78:56 Yet they tempted and provoked the most high God, and kept not his testimonies: *Luke 1:20 And, behold, thou shalt be dumb, and not able to speak, until the day that these things shall be performed, because thou believest not my words, which shall be fulfilled in their season. *Hebrews 11:25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season. *Revelation 15:5 And after that I looked, and, behold, the temple of the tabernacle of the testimony in heaven was opened:

March 9, 2013 at 12:09 pm |
    • End Religion

Religious Delusion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_delusion

March 9, 2013 at 12:13 pm |
    • Austin

Is there something that you are rather proud about? What ethnicity are you? And what works will earn your salvation?

March 9, 2013 at 12:16 pm |
    • Akira

Whoa. The person who stated "Coloreds and hispanics are satanists" is back to spread more of his "joyful" bigotry.
      This man proves how much one can misinterpret the Bible.

March 9, 2013 at 12:20 pm |
  4. Archie Bunker

ASK YOURSELF ONE SIMPLE QUESTION??

What would you see YOURSELF AS if you were looking thru the Eyes of Almighty GOD?

BECAUSE,
    How you Treat others is how God TREATS You.
    How you Forgive others is how God FORGIVES You.
    How you See others is how God SEE’s You.

When you show Empathy for the plight of another HUMAN BEING, God takes empathy in YOUR PLIGHT.

When others slight you and you ignore the call to Vengeance that burns inside, God Erases all memory of your failures towards him.

When you SEE THE IMAGE OF GOD in ANOTHER HUMAN BEING, Then the IMAGE of GOD Becomes REVEALED WITHIN YOU.

The way You Judge other HUMANS is HOW GOD Judges You.

All Humans are EQUAL, ALL Humans are created and are the same in Almighty GODS VISION.

What You wish for the other is what GOD Gives YOU.

Happiness keeps You Sweet,
    Trials keep You Strong,
    Sorrows keep You Human,
    Life keeps You Humble,
    Success keeps You Glowing ,

March 9, 2013 at 11:26 am |
    • End Religion

Religion is a manmade club like any other, with rules by which to segregate and perks to make the club feel special from other clubs. The club gets together periodically to reinforce the delusions of members. Many branches of this club have dues which most call a tithe. Each club redefines words so its intolerance seems righteous.

You've chosen, or were likely born into a family who joined, the club that aligns best with your own fantasy concerning how to minimize your fears in life. You and others in the club are afraid so you've made up a god that soothes you by making decisions for you, helping you feel less alone in the universe, and promising you life everlasting. The various club gods offer perks to induce membership such as seeing dead relatives, virginal sex partners, planets to rule or even one's own god status.

The Jesus you believe in never existed, was and is king of nothing. The bible is a collection of stolen, modified, pre-fabricated myth and forgeries about a non-existent deity. You don't have to be afraid. You do not need religion.

Deal with the lack of afterlife by celebrating life and family in the here and now. Be responsible for your own decisions. Be kind to the earth and others on it. Forge a path with determination, or "go with the flow" and let life determine the course if you're the lazy type. Either way, you don't need a god or a club for any of that.

March 9, 2013 at 11:29 am |
    • Akira

Ask yourself one question:
      Is using the name of the biggest television bigot and hater of all time really the best handle for you to proselytize under?

March 9, 2013 at 12:33 pm |
  5. PraiseTheLard

Religious "leaders" ?? When is he going to host a gathering of children's fiction authors? Same thing...

March 9, 2013 at 10:13 am |
  6. kevobx

The entire world has been deceived. No man knows the day or the hour? But when it doubt follow the sun. *Ezekiel 8:16 and they worshipped the sun toward the east. (Christians followed Saul, a descendant of Esau into Baal *Genesis 36:38*) and Saul became Paul (Acts 22:13) But by the grace of God I am what I am: (1st Corinthians 15:10) *Mark 14:62 And Jesus said, I am: *Exodus 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: (*John 13:19*) Love truth, hate opinions *1st Kings 18:21* What will you say now? (Job 32:11)

March 9, 2013 at 10:07 am |
    • End Religion

Hey you crazy bastard, how's it going today in your warped world?

March 9, 2013 at 10:18 am |
    • .

Gonna state the "coloreds and hispanics are satanists" again? Shut up, bigot.

March 9, 2013 at 10:40 am |
  7. Evelyn

Before any so called immigration reform is done ,our leaders should have to prove to the American people they will enforce the border and pass and enforce the E-verify bill mandating all employers verify their workers We did to let the world know sneaking into America or overstaying your visa will not help you gain employment.'
    We should make it easier for those who are wanting to come in legally ,but again how populated do we really need to become?
    We need to end birth right citizenship and allowing new citizens to sponser their whole extened family.and there should no amnesty for those who are here illegaly.

March 9, 2013 at 9:33 am |
  8. evangelin dangelo

just before I looked at the paycheck which had said $8096, I be certain that...my... friend woz realie bringing home money part time online.. there great aunt started doing this less than 19 months and just cleard the loans on there home and bought a great Saab 99 Turbo. this is where I went........... BIT40. ℂOℳ

March 9, 2013 at 3:48 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

I know Immigration reform is in there somewhere.

March 9, 2013 at 6:09 am |
  9. eg 55

Emmigration reform would be the best thing that the president Obama can do. Many families would thank the president for the rest of their lifes if the reform comes. And to all these people that don't want emigration reform pass that is been optimistic and they need to find a life and be realistic.

March 9, 2013 at 2:22 am |
    • PraiseTheLard

There's no need for emigration reform... anyone can leave this country at any time unless incarcerated...

March 9, 2013 at 10:10 am |
  10. littleitaly111

I just have to let you all know. I am an immigrant that has been in the states for more than five years.

I managed to open a nice fine dinning restaurant that has allmost 1 million dollar sale a year. Have more than 10 american citizens working for me, also some legal immigrants that are now permanent residents. All of them saying that I am the best employer ever. Working with them like a friend not a owner.
    I own a one family house that is worth 150,000 dollars, two cars.
    Cleanest background, allways paid all my taxes. I'm planning to go to college for a mechanical engineer.

Now 5 days ago I get a letter from Immigration (that had all my information on file / I've been legaly here all this time), that my case for asylum has been closed ( or denied) and I will be deported. My lowyer sais there is nothing he can do.....

What should I do? Who is going to leave in my house? What are my employes gonna do?

March 9, 2013 at 1:54 am |
    • Terrence

Doesn't make sense. With a business investment of about $500,000 you can get the investor's visa – I believe it's typically $1 million, but they allow about $500K. So, if your business is really bringing in that much money AND you have about 10 people on your payroll, I don't understand why you're not applying for that instead.

March 9, 2013 at 3:38 am |
    • Sean Adrian

I agree with Terrance, if you have a business that at least has 5 full time workers and has made a profit over 500k then you are available for an immediate 2 year green card and 10 full time with 1 million is 4-5 years I believe. I say go immediately to a lawyer with your case and paper work of your business, taxes, checks you pay out and basically any paper work that is related to your business and yourself and see if they can put a hold on the deportation as well as get you your working permit and business liscense to start with.

March 9, 2013 at 9:35 am |
    • .

Have you applied for citizenship? Something seems off here.

March 9, 2013 at 11:15 am |
  11. Age of Reason

..."I far as I can see, the Book of Revelation are writings of a madman!" Thomas Jefferson
    Our problem is that we should have more belief in ourselves, community, and in each other, instead of relying on some mythical, political construct (Jesus Christ) who never existed!
    "JESUS" NEVER EXISTED, THEREFORE, DO NOT BELIEVE IN HIM!

March 8, 2013 at 9:20 pm |
  12. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

March 8, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Prayer changes things? It sure does! just before I looked at the paycheck which had said $8096, I be certain that...my... friend woz realie bringing home money part time online.. there great aunt started doing this less than 19 months and just cleard the loans on there home and bought a great Saab 99 Turbo. this is where I went........... to God in prayer and BIT40. ℂOℳ

March 9, 2013 at 6:53 am |
    • Jesus

March 9, 2013 at 11:06 am |
    • Really?

"Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things"

That's why the data has shown that atheists have happier and healthier lives than conservative Christians. Your post is built on a lie.

March 9, 2013 at 11:09 am |
  13. Galactus93

President Obama's plans for illegal immigration is nothing more than pandering to a special interest group. We need more from our Federal Government than pandering for money and votes. We need our Federal Government to enforce the law. Deport all illegal aliens, secure the border and fine anyone who hires an illegal alien. The reality of the Amnesty of 1986 has shown that rewarding criminal behavior will just result in more illegal aliens coming to the United States.

March 8, 2013 at 6:31 pm |
    • Akira

Yes, President Reagan pandered to those special interest groups, also. He should have known better.

March 8, 2013 at 7:04 pm |
    • Neil besener

Hi,

Ok the illegals broke the law,i agree... but for what...most of them came here to work , earn (minimum wage ), do jobs that we Americans dont want to do and feed their families..... they live in shadows, have a bad life here as illegals, we tear apart their famillies...

and we the god fearing Americans do it, and we doit in the name of God and law...

It is something like the Gestapo was doing during NAZI germany... gestapo was following the LAW, going by the rules and acting like GOOD GERMAN CITIZENS...

I dont mean to offend you...but just think for a moment that those illegals that we mistreat and under pay for the back breaking labor they do are also children of the same LORD

March 8, 2013 at 11:36 pm |
    • Kajol

Surely you know it is too late and impossible to deport millions of them living here and working for us for several decades ? so the smart thing to do is to legalize them .... may be one day soon you will realize that you are not realizing today. I hope CIR gets done by this year.

March 8, 2013 at 11:55 pm |
    • spinning

@Kajol

Just legalized them? .....ahhh no.... If we do that why have security at the borders at all? why have a border at all. No!

Mexico (and others) needs to clean house instead of using us as a waste gate..... several states are cracking under the weight the illegal immigrants place on social services.

As far as Illegals doing jobs americans dont want to do as Niel said, ahhh again no.....Its called shady employers dont want to pay a fair wage so they commit a crime and hire illegals.

I know of one employer that complains bitterly about the price of american labor...yet the man lives in im guessing a high six figure home, has a 10 acre horse pasture that puts most lawns to shame and drives a jag. He treats his labor like dirt and they take it..... and work stupid hours with no breaks, no sanitation provided (he farms aspergus) , and houses them on site in a "shack" .... no ... better illegals go home and help fix their country. better for us and believe it or not, better for them as well.

March 9, 2013 at 7:34 am |
  14. Kurt Thialfad

Certainly immigration reform must be in the national interest, and not in the interests of foreign special interest groups. Consequently, there must be something in the bill for the American people. We must end automatic birth citizenship, end chain migration, repeal the Cuban Adjustment Act of 1966, and ban sanctuary cities.

We don't need another path to citizenship. The one we have now works fine, and we should keep it. People are obliged to pay taxes whether they be a legal resident or an illegal resident.

March 8, 2013 at 5:59 pm |
    • Galactus93

Agreed. So many of these comments say the same thing and yet our elected officials failed to listen to the American people. They act in the interest of criminal aliens.

March 8, 2013 at 6:33 pm |
  15. Reality

We are $16 trillion in debt and the POTUS is spending more money appeasing the chiefs/cheats of the religion cons??

One more time:

How much money (and "souls") would the following save the US taxpayers ?:

Saving 1.5 billion lost Muslims:
    There never were and never will be any angels i.e. no Gabriel, no Islam and therefore no more koranic-driven acts of horror and terror like 9/11.

– One trillion dollars over the next several years as the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan will end.

– Eighteen billion dollars/yr to Pakistan will stop.

– Four billion dollars/yr to Egypt will end.

Saving 2 billion lost Christians including the Mormons:
    There were never any bodily resurrections and there will never be any bodily resurrections i.e. No Easter, no Christianity!!!

– The Mormon ti-the empire will now become taxable as will all Christian "religions" and evangelical non-profits since there is no longer any claim to being a tax-exempt religion.

– Saving 15.5 million Orthodox followers of Judaism:
    Abraham and Moses never existed.

– Four billion dollars/yr to Israel saved.

– All Jewish sects and non-profits will no longer be tax exempt.

March 8, 2013 at 5:55 pm |
    • Everyone Here...

...thinks your an a$$.

March 8, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
  16. Sean Adrian

You would think something like immigration reform would be easy. 1 fix the borders, 2 find a way to lessen the time for people trying to get into the us legally as well as siblings who are here and being sponsored, 3 pass the dream act so all the kids who came under 16 can continue with school, work or go into the military and can now be a part of tax paying community as well and 4 last is pass immigration reform that will first start with parent of legal citizens, people here over 10 years with proof of taxes or pays a heavy fine and the last would be people who brought their kids here illegally which they will have to wait until their children become american citizens so they maybe sponsored and get their status the right way which is through the system.

March 8, 2013 at 4:32 pm |
    • Mohammad, A. Dead Subject

wishful thinking, politicians work with their own agendas, self-interest first, country second

March 8, 2013 at 4:49 pm |
    • Saraswati

I don't agree with all those plans so I guess I'm one of the reasons it's so difficult. I'm a (legal) childhood immigrant married to another (legal) adult immigrant, btw. I support a much stricter policy than you propose.

March 8, 2013 at 4:54 pm |
    • Sean Adrian

Yeah it is a bit wishful but honestly we want these people paying taxes as soon as possible. The only reason I can truly see someone not wanting this is if they are benefiting from illegal immigration and part of me really thinks many of these politicians are. They have to be getting work somewhere and I honestly can't see them running a fortune 500 company, it's mostly cleaning someone's house, taking care of people's children or doing some house renovation somewhere and it's not everyday people who can afford this. I think once you give immigrants a level playing ground and now they are required to get paid the same wage as all citizens then many jobs will be replaced with citizens because they have better qualifications. By no means to get to this point shouldn't be easy for illegal immigrants but to have them stay in the position they're in does more harm then good to the American economy and I'm a business major since high school and it the benefits are really that enormous.

March 8, 2013 at 5:40 pm |
    • Mohammad, A. Dead Subject

there is no easy overnight fix Sean, on your list you need to include:
      5. must deport all people with criminal background
      6. must learn English, like many of first generation immigrants did

March 8, 2013 at 5:56 pm |
    • Akira

There has never been a formal regulation for immigrants to learn English. That most did was a source of pride to themselves in their newly-adopted country. They did it on their own. To this day, the United States has no official language or religion.

March 8, 2013 at 6:29 pm |
    • Sean Adrian

I do agree with criminal record as well as learning English but I also think English shouldn't be our main language. If you look at most countries, they learn the languages of neighboring countries as well and it's required in school. I think not being able to teach children in this country Spanish and French is more of a fail on the American education system, I do think we need this if we wanna create better ties with Mexico and Canada.

March 8, 2013 at 6:46 pm |
    • Mohammad, A. Dead Subject

Sean, I said little forcefully on English language out of my personal frustration, I work, spend 14 hours everyday, 7 days a week in a town, where Spanish is the only language spoken, all businesses, town officials, police and fire departments, councilmen, board of education people, all town meetings, churches, are conducted in Spanish, town parades carry all flags, except American flags. We don't want towns, people divided by languages.

March 8, 2013 at 8:41 pm |
    • Sean Adrian

I know what you mean, I think the basic understandings of English should be known and definitely should be in school but they're many communities in new York where many don't know English as well but doesn't really effect their personal lives. We have Spanish, Chinese, Italian and many other communities but some of these people don't venture out of there couple of blocks. What I'm saying is that english should be a priority and I don't like either that they are sergated but at the same time I realize that America is a country build upon many different immigrants and backgrounds, to tell some people hey you must only speak one language and fully integrate with our lifestyle and personal beliefs isn't something I wanna see. I actually have friends of many different ethnicities and going into these communities and learning a bit of Spanish here and eating ox tail and rice or going to a Chinese community and experiencing their culture into full effect is something I take pride in while living in America. Where else can someone walk two blocks and pass a Jewish community, Italian community and Chinese and experience things that anywhere else you never would. I think in time English will start to dominate these communities in time but what I never wanna see is people lose their culture, beliefs and history just to fit in with the crowd. I know this is kinda long but the british use to do that with countries they imperialized. They forced English down there throat and would beat any one that woul speak patois like in jamaica and Trinidad and n result many of native people and other imperializing country people lost their history and trying to gain it back. What I'm saying is forcing a change especially in a communities where all they know is this certain language and lifestyle can be damaging to their history and culture.

March 8, 2013 at 9:24 pm |
    • Mohammad, A. Dead Subject

Sean, You can tell from my writing skills, English is not my first language, I fully support multilingual society, I grew up learning more than three languages; with English and Spanish, I speak five languages, so you understand I am not biased against languages. My point was...... there should be press #2 for Spanish, not #2 for English. Anyway, it was nice to know your views, and I assure you, I am fully in support of immigration reform.

Akira – You are correct to say "United States has no official language or religion.", but if you remember, many years back, attempt was made in Miami, Florida to make Spanish as an official language, in response many politicians tried to pass English as an official language.

March 8, 2013 at 9:56 pm |
    • Kerthialfad

Chain migration is mathematically unsustainable. We need to simply end chain migration.

March 9, 2013 at 9:23 am |
  17. charlou

Why can't people who follow these sites keep to what the article is about some people go out of their way to be negatie about everything that is posted on the site. This article is about imigration nothing else are some so short mided they can't respond to what is shared in an article. The only thing I have to say about immigration is that anyone who is here in America should speak our language we should not have to go out of our way to learn theirs or pay for special services as my job do for phones to talk to the customers. This money could be used to hire more workers or give those that deserve increases and increase. I know someone who was fired from a jobe because he could not speak spanis ht o talk to a customer who was in the store to purchase furniture and his boss accused him of almost losing money for the store he was born an rasied in America. I wnet to Mexico and couyld not speak their language and they jsut turned and walked away did not try to help but here they expect you to go out of your way to help them.

March 8, 2013 at 4:19 pm |
    • sam

The US doesn't have an official language. So when you say 'our language', what does that mean? If you're going to say english, well, it appears you need to learn it too. Unless that response was too negatie for you.

March 8, 2013 at 6:15 pm |
  18. Conagher

So let him write the dayum BILL. As he has been described...this is the laziest, no-count buffoon president we have had! Just what is he getting paid for? Playing golf and shooting hoops is all I have seen him do since 2009!

March 8, 2013 at 3:57 pm |
    • Liberty

Lazy, I don't think so. Bush is the lazy one, half of his time as president was spent on vacation the other half was starting wars that killed Americans. So you should just keep your mouth closed.

March 8, 2013 at 4:13 pm |
    • Conagher

Why don't you try making me, HOTSHOT!!!

March 8, 2013 at 4:32 pm |
    • sam

Shaddup, douche. Go back to Fox.

March 8, 2013 at 6:16 pm |
    • Austin

Post your information and we will

March 8, 2013 at 6:21 pm |
    • Truth Prevails

Conagher: Oh you stupid republitard supporter. For some of you it wouldn't matter what he did.....you wouldn't like him simply because he's black, and supports LGBT. Your unemployment rate is lower than it has been in years. At every turn the republicans block him.

March 9, 2013 at 4:24 am |
  19. Denice

I really think things are getting out of hand its to much going on i think its time for a change . Js ( just saying )

March 8, 2013 at 3:54 pm |
  20. Mohammad, A. Dead Subject

"Since winning reelection in 2012, the Obama administration has made it clear that immigration reform is a top priority .."

the keyword is "winning" reelection, he wasn't so sure about immigration before election, I thought economy, jobs were the Obama administration's top priorities, lol!!

March 8, 2013 at 3:40 pm |