home
RSS
March 9th, 2013

Chris Tomlin, king of the sing-along

By Eric Marrapodi and Tom Foreman, CNN
[twitter-follow screen_name='EricCNNBelief'] [twitter-follow screen_name='tomforemancnn']

Baltimore (CNN) - The capacity crowd at the 1st Mariner Arena in Baltimore is bouncing in unison to the most widely sung music on the planet today. The catwalk above the arena is shaking.

Chris Tomlin grabs the microphone and asks the crowd if they’re ready.

"I feel alive, on God's great dance floor!" He leads the packed venue in singing and jumping.

Tomlin is out touring the country with his latest studio album, “Burning Lights.” In January, it topped the Billboard 200 charts. But unlike those who've enjoyed performances by Beyonce, Johnny Cash and a host of others who've played this Baltimore hall, after these fans stream out the doors they will have ample opportunity to sing Tomlin's songs again, as one.

That is the secret to Tomlin’s success – the stage, the lights, the band - aren’t about him. As lively as his shows are, the point is not to get you inside the doors. The point is to get you singing in church.

“I strive for trying to write something that people can sing, that people want to sing, and that people need to sing,” Tomlin explained before the show.

Tomlin is the undisputed king of worship music, a genre of Christian music sung on Sunday mornings all across the world and increasingly played on Christian radio stations. The music is simple, devotional and easy on the ears.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

“We would say that Chris is the most prolific songwriter in the United States now, in this past decade,” said Howard Rachinski, CEO of Christian Copyright Licensing International, the company that tracks what music is used in churches around the world.

In 2012, CCLI paid out $40 million to artists and musicians, and Tomlin got a healthy slice of that pie. Churches around the world used 128 songs he wrote or co-wrote last year, Rachinski said.

CCLI estimates that every Sunday in the United States, between 60,000 and 120,000 churches are singing Tomlin’s songs. By extrapolating that data, Rachinski says, “our best guess would be in the United States on any given Sunday, 20 to 30 million people would be singing Chris Tomlin's songs.”

In their last two reporting periods, Tomlin had the No. 1 most-sung song and five of the top 25.

Search YouTube for "How Great is Our God" or "Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone)." Black, white, Asian, big churches, small ones are all belting out Tomlin songs. A lot.

For perspective, consider Tomlin’s musical success against one secular counterpart. In 2012, Katy Perry's record sales dwarfed Tomlin’s, but Billboard reported her songs were played 1.4 million times on the radio. Using CCLI’s low-end calculation, Tomlin’s songs were played 3.12 million times in churches.

Growing up Tomlin

Chris Tomlin was reared in Grand Saline, Texas, heavily influenced by country music. His dad taught him to play the guitar.

“I learned all country music - Willie Nelson, and Johnny Cash, all those kind of guys. Those are what my dad played and I played. And I played at my church as well,” Tomlin said.

Tomlin went to college to study sports medicine. “I just didn't know the music would take me here. I loved it and I was getting opportunities to go play, and when I say go play I was starting to write songs of worship even (as) a young kid. I didn't know really what worship music was, what a worship leader was, any of that. I didn't know any of those terms,” he said.

Today, at 40 years old, he is the artist most associated with worship music.

While in college he began singing and writing in earnest. As a senior, he said, he was getting invitations to lead the music for Christian conferences with 10,000 students.

He knew his music was resonating with crowds when he got a call from EMI Publishing after his song “We Fall Down,” which was released in 1998, starting being  played in churches.

“I was just writing songs for the church and from there they just started taking off.”

The compositions are considerably different from pop music. They are simpler, and he takes pains to write them that way.

“I'm thinking as that comes out of my heart as a song of response, I'm trying to think, how can I form this so that everybody, people who are tone deaf, who can't clap on two and four, how can I form this song so they can sing it, so that it is singable?”

Part of that process comes from his love of country music, the simplicity of that music and the stories those songs tell. His goal is to write songs that communicate what people would like to say to God.

“Now, that doesn't happen all the time. I mean, I write so many songs that you never hear because they are not any good.”

Tomlin is the worship pastor at Passion City Church in Atlanta. He leads worship there twice a month and beta tests all his new songs on the congregation. Tomlin is also a major draw as the worship leader of the Passion Conferences, a series of Christian conferences around the world. In January, the conference packed out the Georgia Dome in Atlanta with 60,000 college-age students. Billboard magazine noted the conference helped push up pre-sales of Tomlin’s latest CD.

His songs are so sought-after that, even before they're released on CD, they start showing up in CCLI’s online database.

“His songs have probably had the most immediate impact on churches that we have seen in history,” Rachinski said. “Even before you get to street release [of a CD], churches are already networked and engaged with his songs.”

Don’t look for a crossover

Other contemporary Christian musicians, as the music industry designates them, have crossed over to mainstream pop with some success. Tomlin said he has no designs on making that leap.

He also doesn’t need the money. Over the course of his career he’s sold 4.2 million albums, had 6 million digital downloads, a number of sold-out tours, and of course, the copyright royalties.

Tomlin said money isn't what motivates him to write and perform.

“I feel like I have a responsibility,  that God has given me a gift to write songs for his church that people listen to and that people are coming to expect now,” he said. “When I make a record I feel that responsibility that worship leaders, churches are going to say, 'Hey, are these some new songs we can sing in our church?' And I don't take that lightly, and I don't go, ‘Oh let's go do something else fun.’”

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

“I haven't invented any new instruments, I haven't created new chords that no one has ever played. I play the same chord that every band plays, we play the same instruments up there, the melodies are melodies. The difference to me in the music is that I ask that God's presence be on it and that people, when they sing these songs, sense that God does something.”

The spotlight is on Tomlin even more than ever after starting the year a top the Billboard charts. As he tours the country at bigger and bigger venues, he would prefer to step out of the spotlight, away from the microphone, and let everyone else sing.

“People would be mad that they paid for a ticket for that. So I do that just occasionally, but that is what I love.”

He said the night before, at the Theater at Madison Square Garden, he took as much time as he could to step back and let everyone else sing.

“It was just so beautiful, because I feel like it says something. It's not just like, ‘Hey, listen to me sing.’ This is all of us together. I think when you step back from the mic and it is not about you - and yeah, the light may be on you, but this is about all of us singing. This is about a bigger story, it's about a greater story. It's about a greater name than my name. My name is on the ticket, but this is about a greater name.”

CNN's Oliver Janney, Chris Turner, and Dan Merica contributed to this post.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity • Music

soundoff (1,754 Responses)
  1. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things ,

March 11, 2013 at 4:33 pm |
    • Jesus

March 11, 2013 at 5:02 pm |
    • Really?

"Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things"

That's why the data, has shown that atheists have happier and healthier lives, than conservative Christians. Your post is built on a lie!

March 11, 2013 at 5:05 pm |
  2. THE TRUTH

Over 40,000 denominations of insanity... WHAT ARE YOU ON???.. I NEED TWO HITS OF WHAT YOUR ON BECAUSE I FEEL LEFT OUT...

March 11, 2013 at 4:31 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

I'm sure that pretty normal for you.

March 11, 2013 at 4:40 pm |
  3. THE TRUTH

IN SANTA WE TRUST.... I AM NEVER HARD ON MY SELF..... IT IS WHAT IT IS ...... GOD HAS ALWAYS PROVIDED AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO.... LETS JUST HOPE THE BOTTOM DOESN'T SWALLOW YOU FIRST...... MAYBE WE SHOULD CALL YOU CATFISH INSTEAD....

March 11, 2013 at 4:29 pm |
    • Billy

Only a bottom-feeder would be stupid enough to leave his caps key on.

March 11, 2013 at 4:31 pm |
  4. THE TRUTH

IN SANTA WE TRUST ... YOUR RIGHT I WAS NEVER A GOOD SCIENTIST....THAT'S WHY I AM THE PROTECT MANAGER... THE BOTTOM FEEDER EATS IT AGAIN....

March 11, 2013 at 4:12 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Don't be too hard on yourself, I didn't think you were a bottom feeder, but you're clearly not project manager caliber.

March 11, 2013 at 4:15 pm |
    • THE TRUTH

THAT'S WHY I AM THE PROTECT MANAGER... THAT WAS NOT A TYPE O ... I MANAGE PROTECTSION FOR A BIG COMPANY...I AM IN SECURETY AND AM REALLY SMART...THAT IS WHY I LOVE GOD SO MUCH...HE GAVE ME THE BRAIN TO NOW WAY MORE THAN YOU...

March 11, 2013 at 4:42 pm |
  5. Over 40,000 denominations of insanity

Some believe that celibacy is appropriate for certain people, or for certain positions. It's ridiculous. Celibacy is unnatural and will continue to cause problems for the religious institutions that employ it.

Many of the people from these same institutions advocate against abortion, but don't understand the realistic benefit of the morning after pill or even basic contraception; their unrealistic wishful thinking is causing the death of many at the hands of disease.

In the U.S. recently we learned of the head of LCMS chastising a minister of that church for participating in a joint service for the victims of the Newtown school shooting.

One sect calls homosexuality an abomination while the next one in the same denomination is already performing gay marriage.

One sect, the Westboro Baptist Church believes Americans are being killed at war because America is too kind to "fags".

One sect believes that Jesus and Satan were brothers and that Christ will return to Jerusalem AND Jackson County, Missouri.

One sect believes women to be subservient, while another sect in the same denomination promotes equality between the sexes.

Conflicted right from the very beginning, Christianity continues to splinter and create divisions and more extremism as it goes.

=================================================
    Has anything improved with Christianity since 200+ years ago?

Thomas Jefferson, POTUS #3 (from Notes on the State of Virginia):

Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth.

James Madison, POTUS #4, chief architect of the U.S. Constitution & the Bill of Rights (from A Memorial and Remonstrance delivered to the Virginia General Assembly in 1785):

During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry, and persecution.

John Adams, POTUS #2 (in a letter to Thomas Jefferson, 09/03/1816):

I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved – the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced! With the rational respect that is due to it, knavish priests have added prostitutions of it, that fill or might fill the blackest and bloodiest pages of human history.

Ben Franklin (from a letter to The London Packet, 3 June 1772):

If we look back into history for the character of present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution. The primitive Christians thought persecution extremely wrong in the Pagans, but practised it on one another. The first Protestants of the Church of England, blamed persecution in the Roman church, but practised it against the Puritans: these found it wrong in the Bishops, but fell into the same practice themselves both here and in New England.

Thomas Paine (from The Age of Reason):

All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.

March 11, 2013 at 4:11 pm |
  6. My Dog is a jealous Dog

You want GOOD religious music – I have one word: REGGAE

Irie, my friends

March 11, 2013 at 4:10 pm |
    • I Paint Houses

Reggae is crap.

March 11, 2013 at 4:43 pm |
    • I Paint Houses

But then again, I Paint Houses and often breathe in the fumes...

March 11, 2013 at 4:47 pm |
    • I Paint Houses

Are you a latent appliance fetishist?

March 11, 2013 at 4:48 pm |
    • Apatheist

haha

March 11, 2013 at 4:53 pm |
    • My Dog is a jealous Dog

Latent? No, not latent.

March 11, 2013 at 5:26 pm |
  7. THE TRUTH

END RELIGION RIGHT ON QUE.....I AM OUT OF MY MIND.... I HAVE 167 IQ... CAN'T HELP IT.... MIT & STANFORD MADE ME CRAZY.... I KNEW YOU HAD NOTHING BETTER TO DO.... WHERE IS licifer's twin......

March 11, 2013 at 4:09 pm |
    • Austin

16.7 more like

March 11, 2013 at 4:10 pm |
    • Hmmmmmm

Thats still 15.03 points higher than Autsins 1.67 IQ...

March 11, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
  8. THE TRUTH

HAWAIIGUEST..... YOU NEVER ANSWERED THE QUESTION WHY ARE YOU HERE??? GET THE KY OFF YOUR HAND AND ANSWER THE QUESTION....

March 11, 2013 at 4:06 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

Why would I deign to answer your question when you are demonstrating that you don't really care?

March 11, 2013 at 4:20 pm |
  9. End Religion

Comedy gold: we have the irreparably deranged "lol?", the hallucinating criminal "Austin," a couple of YEC dimwits, and a handful of duplicitous, multi-monikered, lying bastard "model Christians" trying to tell us why living unlike them is wrong. Priceless...

March 11, 2013 at 4:04 pm |
    • lol??

Guy walks into a bar with a chimp on his shoulder, who's name is END RELIGION. "Barkeep, gimme a draft and a big ol' end time for my buddy, ER."
      Barkeep, "Sorry, last call was called and your chimp is already past his limit"
      Guy, "The thrill is looooonnnngggg gooooonnnng"

March 11, 2013 at 4:43 pm |
    • Mass Debater

And on cue we have the deranged lol??...

March 11, 2013 at 5:14 pm |
  10. THE TRUTH

IN SANTA WE TRUST..... TELL YOUR RHETORIC TO ALL THE CHRISTIAN SCIENTIST IN JPL AND NASA.... WITH OUT US THERE IS NO SPACE PROGRAM... END OF STORY..... BOTTOM FEEDER....

March 11, 2013 at 4:04 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

You're clearly not a scientist. What percentage of scientists are you claiming are christian? And your source?

March 11, 2013 at 4:08 pm |
    • Apatheist

Also, please provide your definition of qualifies as a 'scientist'...

March 11, 2013 at 4:58 pm |
  11. THE TRUTH

PSY LANCE... NO PANTIES HERE BUDDY..... ALL NATURAL.... CITY COLLEGE BOY GOT HIS LITTLE EGO HURT.....WAHHHHHHHH.=(

March 11, 2013 at 4:02 pm |
    • Psy Lance

So you read my post but still insist on shouting? Then I can but assume you are a boring troll. Yawn.

March 11, 2013 at 4:28 pm |
  12. THE TRUTH

HAWAIIGUEST I KNEW YOU HAD NOTHING BETTER TO DO... BEING UNEMPLOYED AND SITTING IN FRONT OF YOUR COMPUTER IS WHAT YOU DO BEST.... TROLLING IS WHAT YOU DO... IF YOUR AN ATHEIST ....WHY THE HELL ARE YOU ON THIS PAGE ....LOOSER....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA......

March 11, 2013 at 4:00 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

LOL that's funny. That coming from a either
      1) The real THE TRUTH who apparently has lost his mind or
      2) A Poe who is using the name to be a completely useless troll.
      How cute that you assume I'm unemployed.

March 11, 2013 at 4:03 pm |
    • Apatheist

Not only do atheists represent a disproportionately small percentage of the overall number of unemployed, their average income levels are also significantly higher... But I'm sure you already knew that.

March 11, 2013 at 5:01 pm |
  13. THE TRUTH

PSY LANCE... YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. MORE THAN 40% OF JPL AND NASA SCIENTIST ARE CHRISTIANS..... WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF THERE WERE NO CHRISTIANS IN SCIENCE... WELL SCIENCE WOULD GET NO WHERE FAST... IF YOU WENT TO A TOP TEN UNIVERSITY LIKE MIT YOU WOULD NO THIS CITY COLLEGE BOY...

March 11, 2013 at 3:58 pm |
    • CNNReader

The earth is not flat. Do you agree?

March 11, 2013 at 4:03 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

If you went to a top-ten college you'd have an education and know how to spell. And how to turn off "CAPS LOCK"

March 11, 2013 at 4:03 pm |
    • Bible Clown©

Dude, if you want to be taken seriously, find the capslock button and turn it off. You sound like a small child.

March 11, 2013 at 4:50 pm |
    • Apatheist

I'll assume that you are referring to the top ten online universities.

March 11, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
    • Apatheist

Furthermore, the statistics that you are providing are cherry picked at best... They also (obviously) exclude non-US based scientists. The number of atheist scientists is likely around 80-90% and perhaps higher. I could say that 100% of Vatican scientists are theistic but that doesn't really mean much, does it?

March 11, 2013 at 5:08 pm |
    • Psy Lance

"IF YOU WENT TO A TOP TEN UNIVERSITY LIKE MIT YOU WOULD NO THIS CITY COLLEGE BOY..."

I mean, I "know" he's a troll or a poe, but you have to admit this line was funny...

March 11, 2013 at 5:17 pm |
  14. THE TRUTH

HAWAIIGUEST, END TO RELIGION AND lucifer's twin WHERE ARE YOU ????

March 11, 2013 at 3:54 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

Do you need something troll? Are self-platitudes and all caps not enough anymore?

March 11, 2013 at 3:56 pm |
  15. THE TRUTH

WHY DO ATHEIST ALWAYS HAVE TO PROVE THEY ARE INTELLIGENT??? IS IT BECAUSE NONE OF YOU MAKE IT TO 4 YEAR UNIVERSITIES.....

March 11, 2013 at 3:49 pm |
    • Psy Lance

No, it's that we make it through a four year university and go on to take jobs in the applied science fields which rely more on facts than old outdated religious doctrine to inform our lives. How well would the moon landing have gone if we had been using 1st century concepts of the universe? How many priests would have to pray to achieve liftoff?

March 11, 2013 at 3:53 pm |
    • Psy Lance

We also learned it's rude to use all caps unless you really intend on shouting. And if that was your intent, then you really need to relax and stop letting those intelligent little atheist busy bodies get your panties in a bunch.

March 11, 2013 at 3:56 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Why do believers deny science in favor of centuries-old superstitions?

March 11, 2013 at 4:00 pm |
    • Sshollie

There are intelligent atheists, Christians, and people of other faiths or ideas. I am a devout Christian and am also a scientist with an advanced degree and many published papers in scientific journals. I have collegues who are Christian, Hindu, Muslim, and those that don'tt have religious affiliation. We all respect each other and have learned from one another, professionally and personally.

March 11, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
    • Bible Clown©

A better question might be why you are trying so hard to prove you are stupid? Maybe people who are that much smarter than you know what they are talking about. Heh, like I have to "prove" I'm intelligent. Faith has nothing to do with IQ points, and plenty of smart people believe in ghosts or Bigfoot or Jesus or UFOs. Maybe one of those things will someday be found, but the odds aren't good.

March 11, 2013 at 4:54 pm |
    • Apatheist

@BibleClown

In order or likelihood, I'll go UFOs first and Bigfoot second with ghosts and Jesus tied for third a distant third...

March 11, 2013 at 5:18 pm |
    • THE TRUTH

FACT...IT WOULD TAKE EXACTLY 144,000 PRIESTS TO ACHIEVE LIFTOFF...SAYS SO IN REVELATION...

March 11, 2013 at 5:26 pm |
  16. Bible Clown©

Meanwhile, this guy doesn't care if we notice him or not, and that's fine with me. Nice to see someone who's got his own, and doesn't want anything from us.

March 11, 2013 at 3:49 pm |
  17. CNNReader

You better believe the so-called "judgement day" is made-up, or other religions' judgement days are waiting for you to get there too.

March 11, 2013 at 3:32 pm |
  18. My Bad

Same posters with the same tired arguments and rebuttals. You argue your same points as long as "Christian" finds its way into the article.

:sigh:

On both sides, you all need to find a life. My bad for even stepping in here...should have known better.

March 11, 2013 at 3:20 pm |
    • Chotchkie's

Sounds like somebody's got a case of the Mondays.

March 11, 2013 at 3:32 pm |
    • Stan

You need more flair.

March 11, 2013 at 3:42 pm |
  19. Reasonably

Sing along with Brian:

Money, money, money...Mo-NEY!

March 11, 2013 at 2:06 pm |
  20. brianfromthecape

Or maybe God created you to know His love and enjoy His presence forever. And despite your rejection He still sent His Son to die for you. But because you still reject Him the 'judgement' is from you, because you refuse the greatest Gift the world has ever seen.

March 11, 2013 at 1:44 pm |
    • Tommy

and maybe smoking Meth is good for you

March 11, 2013 at 1:59 pm |
    • .

People who do not believe reject no one. Learn the difference. You sound uninformed.

March 11, 2013 at 2:00 pm |
    • brianfromthecape

Actually, un-belief is still rejection. He has given you all the evidence you need but you refuse to see it. There are no excuses bud. That's on you, not God.

March 11, 2013 at 2:15 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@brian

Oh one of those now? The good ol' "Evidence is there you just don't want to see it". How about you actually present something you think is evidence?

March 11, 2013 at 2:20 pm |
    • End Religion

That you find human sacrifice a gift is immeasurably cruel and immoral. You can keep your god and his "gifts" though you might want to look that up too since a gift is freely given and your god's "gift" has a price tag should you choose not to accept it.

March 11, 2013 at 2:49 pm |
    • Len

Didn't God ever hear of re-gifting? Seriously, why torture people simply because they don't want your "gift"?

God wanting to make us in order to have worshipers I can inderstand, but why program us with the ability to say no if you're going to get that upset when some people do? Makes God sound like a teenage girl getting even with any kid who doesn't want to go to her party. Just childish!

March 11, 2013 at 3:07 pm |
    • Amazon Jungle Tribesman

Who is Jesus, I've never heard of him?

March 11, 2013 at 3:21 pm |
    • brianfromthecape

If you have no desire to believe then all of the evidence in the world wouldn't mean a thing.

March 11, 2013 at 3:29 pm |
    • brianfromthecape

Because mercy and grace is a beautiful thing.

March 11, 2013 at 3:31 pm |
    • End Religion

We know, Brian. It's Cult 101:
      1) you have to believe to believe. Only special ones will "see"
      2) you will be persecuted for your crazy beliefs
      3) learn the magic words and say them correctly
      4) what you give to our cult will be returned 10-fold. Now give us all you have.

March 11, 2013 at 3:40 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@brian

So now you jump to "believe then you'll believe" confirmatory bias standard apologetics? Man you need to get new material. Oops, I forgot, the apologists haven't been able to come up with new material for hundreds of years since their fallacious idiocy was originally debunked.

March 11, 2013 at 3:52 pm |
    • brianfromthecape

You guys are walking proof of the fall.

March 11, 2013 at 4:08 pm |
    • brianfromthecape

Jer 29:13 "You will seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with all your heart."

I have yet to meet, or hear of, one person who could prove this not true in their life.

March 11, 2013 at 4:13 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@brian

And you're walking proof of the inability of apologists to back their claims with anything other fallacies and evasion.

March 11, 2013 at 4:22 pm |
    • hal 9001

I'm sorry, "brianfromthecape", but "God", "His", "His", "He", "His Son", "Him", "the 'judgement'" and "the greatest Gift" are all elements of mythology, therefore your assertions are unfounded.

March 11, 2013 at 4:26 pm |
    • Ken

brianfromthecape
      If you have enough desire to believe then evidence isn't necessary, and lack of evidence is irrelevant, so it still boils down to having blind faith, right?

March 11, 2013 at 11:40 pm |
    • lol??

ken, desire?? Is that a FEELING?? You know, the group tug used by educratists when they can can agreement on the shorter line being the longest. GONG

March 11, 2013 at 11:55 pm |