home
RSS
March 9th, 2013

Chris Tomlin, king of the sing-along

By Eric Marrapodi and Tom Foreman, CNN
[twitter-follow screen_name='EricCNNBelief'] [twitter-follow screen_name='tomforemancnn']

Baltimore (CNN) - The capacity crowd at the 1st Mariner Arena in Baltimore is bouncing in unison to the most widely sung music on the planet today. The catwalk above the arena is shaking.

Chris Tomlin grabs the microphone and asks the crowd if they’re ready.

"I feel alive, on God's great dance floor!" He leads the packed venue in singing and jumping.

Tomlin is out touring the country with his latest studio album, “Burning Lights.” In January, it topped the Billboard 200 charts. But unlike those who've enjoyed performances by Beyonce, Johnny Cash and a host of others who've played this Baltimore hall, after these fans stream out the doors they will have ample opportunity to sing Tomlin's songs again, as one.

That is the secret to Tomlin’s success – the stage, the lights, the band - aren’t about him. As lively as his shows are, the point is not to get you inside the doors. The point is to get you singing in church.

“I strive for trying to write something that people can sing, that people want to sing, and that people need to sing,” Tomlin explained before the show.

Tomlin is the undisputed king of worship music, a genre of Christian music sung on Sunday mornings all across the world and increasingly played on Christian radio stations. The music is simple, devotional and easy on the ears.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

“We would say that Chris is the most prolific songwriter in the United States now, in this past decade,” said Howard Rachinski, CEO of Christian Copyright Licensing International, the company that tracks what music is used in churches around the world.

In 2012, CCLI paid out $40 million to artists and musicians, and Tomlin got a healthy slice of that pie. Churches around the world used 128 songs he wrote or co-wrote last year, Rachinski said.

CCLI estimates that every Sunday in the United States, between 60,000 and 120,000 churches are singing Tomlin’s songs. By extrapolating that data, Rachinski says, “our best guess would be in the United States on any given Sunday, 20 to 30 million people would be singing Chris Tomlin's songs.”

In their last two reporting periods, Tomlin had the No. 1 most-sung song and five of the top 25.

Search YouTube for "How Great is Our God" or "Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone)." Black, white, Asian, big churches, small ones are all belting out Tomlin songs. A lot.

For perspective, consider Tomlin’s musical success against one secular counterpart. In 2012, Katy Perry's record sales dwarfed Tomlin’s, but Billboard reported her songs were played 1.4 million times on the radio. Using CCLI’s low-end calculation, Tomlin’s songs were played 3.12 million times in churches.

Growing up Tomlin

Chris Tomlin was reared in Grand Saline, Texas, heavily influenced by country music. His dad taught him to play the guitar.

“I learned all country music - Willie Nelson, and Johnny Cash, all those kind of guys. Those are what my dad played and I played. And I played at my church as well,” Tomlin said.

Tomlin went to college to study sports medicine. “I just didn't know the music would take me here. I loved it and I was getting opportunities to go play, and when I say go play I was starting to write songs of worship even (as) a young kid. I didn't know really what worship music was, what a worship leader was, any of that. I didn't know any of those terms,” he said.

Today, at 40 years old, he is the artist most associated with worship music.

While in college he began singing and writing in earnest. As a senior, he said, he was getting invitations to lead the music for Christian conferences with 10,000 students.

He knew his music was resonating with crowds when he got a call from EMI Publishing after his song “We Fall Down,” which was released in 1998, starting being  played in churches.

“I was just writing songs for the church and from there they just started taking off.”

The compositions are considerably different from pop music. They are simpler, and he takes pains to write them that way.

“I'm thinking as that comes out of my heart as a song of response, I'm trying to think, how can I form this so that everybody, people who are tone deaf, who can't clap on two and four, how can I form this song so they can sing it, so that it is singable?”

Part of that process comes from his love of country music, the simplicity of that music and the stories those songs tell. His goal is to write songs that communicate what people would like to say to God.

“Now, that doesn't happen all the time. I mean, I write so many songs that you never hear because they are not any good.”

Tomlin is the worship pastor at Passion City Church in Atlanta. He leads worship there twice a month and beta tests all his new songs on the congregation. Tomlin is also a major draw as the worship leader of the Passion Conferences, a series of Christian conferences around the world. In January, the conference packed out the Georgia Dome in Atlanta with 60,000 college-age students. Billboard magazine noted the conference helped push up pre-sales of Tomlin’s latest CD.

His songs are so sought-after that, even before they're released on CD, they start showing up in CCLI’s online database.

“His songs have probably had the most immediate impact on churches that we have seen in history,” Rachinski said. “Even before you get to street release [of a CD], churches are already networked and engaged with his songs.”

Don’t look for a crossover

Other contemporary Christian musicians, as the music industry designates them, have crossed over to mainstream pop with some success. Tomlin said he has no designs on making that leap.

He also doesn’t need the money. Over the course of his career he’s sold 4.2 million albums, had 6 million digital downloads, a number of sold-out tours, and of course, the copyright royalties.

Tomlin said money isn't what motivates him to write and perform.

“I feel like I have a responsibility,  that God has given me a gift to write songs for his church that people listen to and that people are coming to expect now,” he said. “When I make a record I feel that responsibility that worship leaders, churches are going to say, 'Hey, are these some new songs we can sing in our church?' And I don't take that lightly, and I don't go, ‘Oh let's go do something else fun.’”

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

“I haven't invented any new instruments, I haven't created new chords that no one has ever played. I play the same chord that every band plays, we play the same instruments up there, the melodies are melodies. The difference to me in the music is that I ask that God's presence be on it and that people, when they sing these songs, sense that God does something.”

The spotlight is on Tomlin even more than ever after starting the year a top the Billboard charts. As he tours the country at bigger and bigger venues, he would prefer to step out of the spotlight, away from the microphone, and let everyone else sing.

“People would be mad that they paid for a ticket for that. So I do that just occasionally, but that is what I love.”

He said the night before, at the Theater at Madison Square Garden, he took as much time as he could to step back and let everyone else sing.

“It was just so beautiful, because I feel like it says something. It's not just like, ‘Hey, listen to me sing.’ This is all of us together. I think when you step back from the mic and it is not about you - and yeah, the light may be on you, but this is about all of us singing. This is about a bigger story, it's about a greater story. It's about a greater name than my name. My name is on the ticket, but this is about a greater name.”

CNN's Oliver Janney, Chris Turner, and Dan Merica contributed to this post.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity • Music

soundoff (1,754 Responses)
  1. EvidenceBased4

" the stage, the lights, the band – aren’t about him"

Riiiiggggghhhht. That's why one of the interviewees is a Christian music copyrighter. That's why the cover image is him singing passionately with rays of God's Light (TM) shining from his head. Praise the Lord and pass the plate.

March 10, 2013 at 10:10 am |
    • Just Me

The bitterness of unbelievers is no longer shocking.....I love to have a good laugh every time I see them on religious articles and see how bitter they get day by day. LOL

March 10, 2013 at 10:14 am |
    • EvidenceBased4

...and yet here you are commenting bitterly and condescending me personally. Your humble piety is so impressive.

March 10, 2013 at 10:21 am |
  2. Mennoknight

Worship Music have been around for over 40 years and is enormously popular.
    Guys like Chris Tomlin have only sung this style of music, so you clearly don't know what is happening in this genre of music.

March 10, 2013 at 10:09 am |
  3. ikproductions

Thank you Chris Tomlin. Your simple, tone deaf music for people with no rhythm really brings joy to Jesus' ears. I can't wait to never listen to it.

March 10, 2013 at 10:09 am |
    • Damocles

That made me laugh! Thank you.

March 10, 2013 at 10:19 am |
  4. Eric

I often wondered why Christ said that so many people would miss it. I now understand. You people are so willing to believe in anything, anything but a loving God. I'm so sorry for all of you. You're missing the beauty of a loving relationship with your God.

March 10, 2013 at 10:08 am |
    • Edweird69

Missing out on a delusion, does not inhibit my life in anyway, I assure you.

March 10, 2013 at 10:10 am |
    • End Religion

There's just no point to believing in that fiction.

March 10, 2013 at 10:10 am |
    • MagicPanties

My invisible pink unicorn loves me so much.
      I'm sorry you can't bask in that; if only you would believe.

March 10, 2013 at 10:10 am |
    • gdouglaso

Nicely stated Eric. Thanks

March 10, 2013 at 10:12 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

I had, and still have, loving parents. I have a loving family of my own. And friends as well. These things are tangible. You have to imagine up a loving God and the love you feel that comes from it.

March 10, 2013 at 10:13 am |
    • Unintelligent Designer

You have it wrong. I didn't become a non-believer because I was willing to believe in anything but a loving God. It is because I WASN'T willing to believe in anything. But I do think Christ Omlin's music is catchy, and I'd rather my kids attend one of his concerts than Justin Beeber.

March 10, 2013 at 10:16 am |
    • Eric

One common denominator in most of the comments on here is fear! Let go! Seek and you will find!

March 10, 2013 at 10:25 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

What comes across as fear, Eric?

March 10, 2013 at 10:42 am |
  5. Kentola

Thank you Chris for all your hard work and devotion. May Jesus continue to bless and inspire you, as millions of believers praise God with a new song, that he used you to bring to light.

March 10, 2013 at 10:07 am |
    • Edweird69

Why does your blood thirsty god, revel in worship? Isn't the desire to be worshipped called "narcissism"? And that is certainly an imperfection. If purposely drowned little babies in a flood, you would have me executed. Yet you worship you're imaginary friend whom you believe did that very thing. You worship in religion what a sane person would despies in humanity.

March 10, 2013 at 10:09 am |
  6. GO_GOP

Seek Jesus and be saved. Remember he died for your sins. How can you be so ungrateful to reject him??? Science for all we know may be a design by Satan to turn us away from our Lord. Rick Santorum did not say in vain that Satan has his eyes on our Colleges and Universities.

March 10, 2013 at 10:07 am |
    • EvidenceBased4

Religion for all we know may be a design by Satan to turn us away from our Lord. It must be very weird to live in a world where everything is either a trick by a supernatural monster or a magical blessing by a supernatural father figure. How bizarre.

March 10, 2013 at 10:14 am |
    • End Religion

Santorum said this because too few people were championing the One True God, the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Even Santorum knows the fiction of the god of israel is passing into obscurity.

March 10, 2013 at 10:15 am |
    • ikproductions

Uhhhhh? Science is a trick by the Devil? Try Christianity... What other organization promotes stupidity by not asking questions (or asking stupid ones), total obedience, and complete faith in something that isn't there? I mean other than the GOP...

March 10, 2013 at 10:29 am |
    • Eric

Satan is at work in this world. Great great deciever is doing his job well.

March 10, 2013 at 10:30 am |
    • Richard Cranium

Eric
      The great deceiver as you call it is doing a wonderful job. They created your religion, then got you to believe it... You have been deceived by the biggest scam mankind has ever seen...the bible.

March 10, 2013 at 10:41 am |
    • End Religion

Eric, if Satan is so great why don't you marry him?

March 10, 2013 at 11:05 am |
  7. MagicPanties

My invisible pink unicorn likes his music, but she'd really like for ya'all to worship her some too.
    I mean, come on, surely there's room for one more imaginary being in your life.

March 10, 2013 at 10:06 am |
    • Unintelligent Designer

I prefer BattlestarGalactica (the new series). If I had an ounce of creativity, I would write fan fiction for the bloody show. Yes, people can do much worse than Christ Omlin. I'm sure kids aren't getting wasted and taking ecstasy at his shows.

March 10, 2013 at 10:18 am |
  8. Peter Bishop

CNN needs an "Atheist" section, so believers can go there and make snide remarks and tear down their theology.

March 10, 2013 at 10:06 am |
    • MagicPanties

atheists don't have theology, the "a" means "without", i.e. an atheist is without theology.

March 10, 2013 at 10:07 am |
    • End Religion

...and this is the atheist section. What are you doing here, heathen believer?

March 10, 2013 at 10:16 am |
    • Kentola

I know right. this is the Belief Blog..... Lets try that again...B E L I E F B L O G. If you are so disgusted by believers dont read the article. Dont make snide comments, Dont insist I share your view point Dont belittle and engage in name calling. If you do indeed have the moral and intellectual high ground, how about demonstrating the principles of acceptance you seem to value so much.
      You know love is not the opposite of hate, indifference is. Be careful about how passionately you argue with God, that is if you want him to not.......be..

March 10, 2013 at 10:19 am |
    • Damocles

@ken

I accept that you believe. I don't have to accept that your belief is right.

March 10, 2013 at 10:22 am |
    • Nietodarwin

We have it. This is it. There are TONS of atheists on this belief blog, more and more every month. We can "Shout to the Highest Mountain" the GLORY of reason, and do it without fear of being killed by zealot believers. I get on here every Sunday morning now that I've "seen the light" and stopped wasting time and money going to church.

“Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very efficient. There`s a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning.”
      _ Bill Gates

March 10, 2013 at 10:26 am |
    • End Religion

Ken, might want to get ahold of every dictionary and thesaurus company in the world to let them know of your new redefinition of love, hate and indifference. Start here:

March 10, 2013 at 11:08 am |
    • ikproductions

The last time I checked, it's the Jehova's Witnesses and Christians that are constantly badgering people, trying to convince people to believe by brute force, not Atheists. Thank Jesus for the internet though (he invented that right?), because as more knowledge and information becomes available to everyone (much to the dismay of the church i'm sure) people will put down the bible and start thinking for themselves! So fight for your dying religion if you want, but expect that there will always be an Atheist out there who will stand up for what's real, correct your mistakes, and present actual facts... Get used to it, or go back to church where the answer to any question is always Jesus, and everyone else agrees.

March 10, 2013 at 11:10 am |
  9. Daedsidog

I'd rather listen to Satan raping my ears

March 10, 2013 at 10:01 am |
    • Damocles

So you can hear him coming?

March 10, 2013 at 10:08 am |
    • Eric

You very well might be hearing that for all of eternity.

March 10, 2013 at 10:10 am |
    • End Religion

Satan rocks!

March 10, 2013 at 10:17 am |
  10. 1nd3p3nd3nt

i sing ac/dc songs about three times a week

March 10, 2013 at 10:00 am |
    • Edweird69

You're on the "Higway to hell..highway to hell".

March 10, 2013 at 10:01 am |
  11. Edweird69

Yep, reliigionists have always been some of the best salemen on the planet.

March 10, 2013 at 9:58 am |
  12. A dose of realtiy

There are many Atheists however who look down upon Christians as being inferior however because they have not made the leap of common sense and logic to understand that their God is a long perpetrated myth. In a sense it is akin to looking at a child who believes in Santa Clause. As adults we know full well he does not exist. The child hasn't grown up enough to shrug off the silly fantasy that has been fed to him/her to placate them. We see ourselves as the new grown-ups and you as the children placated by your Santa. We are urging you to grow out of that myth.

The thing is, if you had met an Adult who still believed in Santa you would most likely treat them similarly. Think there's something fundamentally wrong with their sense of reality and wish to explain to them how ridiculous it is. The large difference here is in the fact that Christianity as a whole isn't so innocent as Santa. Christianity is guilty of so very many evil deeds in the name of God and the believers in Christianity are guilty of ignorance. Pretend for a second that the majority of people believed in Santa as a true fact and tried to force you to believe, coerce you to believe and judge you for not believing. This of course being the LEAST of what religions have done to people who don't believe them. You know Santa is a farce. You would be annoyed, angry, and feel like common sense had flown the coop.

That is what Atheists are dealing with.

All the logic, science, education and clear and obvious data about the world is purposefully ignored by theists and you swallow lies your whole lives, closed off to the possibility that you are wrong. We are not closed off to the possibility that we are wrong.. In fact, that's how most of us got to this stage of sanity. I was a believer who dared to question the "truth" of the gospels. When the answer to my questions were "pray about it" and "have faith" I needed to keep looking.

We would be less angry if religions kept to themselves and stopped trying to dictate how others lived. If it stayed out of politics, we wouldn't be angry. If it stopped trying to tell people who aren't followers how to live their lives, we wouldn't care what you believed. If religions didn't cause untold millions of deaths, we would just simply giggle at your silly faith. That is not the case at all.

You don't see us making cases against people who believe in Pagan faiths, we don't typically touch on Buddhism either. Because they don't try to control others. They do their thing and enjoy their beliefs without causing harm. You will never hear any of us speak out against Jainism for example. Never. They have a simple rule "above all, do no harm" and they follow it very closely. If your religion had that as the tenet and nothing else, we would be happy for you.

March 10, 2013 at 9:56 am |
    • gdouglaso

You expect people of faith not to speak out and voice their beliefs, but you just posted a ranting piece that possesses a hate-filled agenda and you want to control what laws, schools, etc. adopts. Kind of seems like you are asking me to join your religion of non-belief. I think that makes you a hypocrite.

March 10, 2013 at 10:00 am |
    • Edweird69

@gdouglas – non-belief is not a religion. It is a null stance. It's like saying bald is a hair color.

March 10, 2013 at 10:03 am |
    • Nietodarwin

"You don't see us making cases against people who believe in Pagan faiths, we don't typically touch on Buddhism either. Because they don't try to control others" That bears repeating for the xstians and other "preachy" religions.
      I don't know any xstians who just vomit at the table when others are eating. Why can't they realize that their constant preaching has the same effect on people of reason.

March 10, 2013 at 10:04 am |
    • gdouglaso

@wdwierd...I understand your point, but mine is simply this: if you are that fervent about your belief that God does not exist and you need to go forth and share this "gospel" in such a strong way..that you form organized groups and gather money to support atheist causes and try to tear away at other people's beliefs...guess you are parsing hairs, but I kind of think of that as a religion.

March 10, 2013 at 10:10 am |
    • Nietodarwin

HEY gdouglaso
      "You expect people of faith not to speak out and voice their beliefs,"??? No we don't "expect" it. You now have xstian voucher schools in Lousiana teaching that the Klan was a community oriented organization, that dinosaurs and humans shared the planet, and that hippies were satan worshippers. We don't "expect" it, but we would sure like you xstians to SHUT UP. Atheists now have the power of the anonymity of the internet, so WE can say these things without being MURDERED. Murder is what has kept Islam and xstianity going for so long. Read his post again. Got milk? Got reading comprehension.?

March 10, 2013 at 10:11 am |
    • Melissa

A dose of realtiy, another good post.

gdouglaso, Sure, you can talk about your religion. To the people that ask and to each other. Stop knocking on my door and trying to force your religion into politics and law.

March 10, 2013 at 10:11 am |
    • Nietodarwin

"Kind of seems like you are asking me to join your religion of non-belief. I think that makes you a hypocrite." ?????????????? FINE, I am asking you to join my religion of non-belief. Science and reason are based on EVIDENCE, so that does not make me a hypocrite. The wonders of modern biology (based ENTIRELY on evolution) and physics (again based in "physics evolution" in a way) are WAY more fulfilling than any dogma. I was raised xstian, and I can assure you I know both sides. Religion is fading. All cultures evolved with it, but that doesn't make it beneficial to our survival as a species, au contraire, it might be our undoing.

Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first – rock and roll or Christianity.
      John Lennon

March 10, 2013 at 10:20 am |
  13. gdouglaso

Ok, I get it. If you do not believe in Christianity, this story is probably not the top of the list for you. But I really wonder what motivates such hate and anger in so many of you that you see a need to post negative commentary, often of a very hurtful nature - very few people like to be called stupid/moronic and so forth. In some cases I am surprised by the amount of life effort you take to post these incredibly long blogs. To be clear, I once felt very much like many of you angry bloggers and was agnostic/atheist. Similar to the pat of C.S. Lewis, I painted myself into a corner where I could not deny God any further. To those anger mongers...maybe I have been deceived...or maybe it is you. Marvel at life and how our bodies work, when time began (infinite), where space ends (infinite) and before long it becomes apparent that for all that our rationale minds want to impose structure, order and a conviction that we have it all together, we understand surprisingly little.

March 10, 2013 at 9:53 am |
    • Edweird69

Gee, imagine why people are offended, because you believe it is "justice" for some blood thirsty god to send non-believer's to eternal torture. And for what? The horrid crime of "not believing something'? Since when is disbelief worthy of eternal punishment?

March 10, 2013 at 9:57 am |
    • Damocles

I wholeheartedly agree that we know little. I do not need to believe in a deity to understand that.

March 10, 2013 at 9:58 am |
    • gager

You confuse negative comments with hate. It is not.

March 10, 2013 at 9:58 am |
    • gager

I marvel at life but I know life is a chemical reaction all the way to the core.

March 10, 2013 at 10:01 am |
    • gdouglaso

@gager...I guess agree with you in many respects, but would ask you to consider who created the chemical processes and all of the mass of the universe in the first place...I mean, it had to come from somewhere right. The first law of thermodynamics is that energy cannot be created or destroyed. So...all of those planets...stars...well...see, that is part of what blows my mind. And no, I do not believe that Hawking or others have figured this out. But I do agree with you, you do not need to believe in a deity to believe that you know little.

March 10, 2013 at 10:06 am |
    • Daedsidog

we found the true hypocrite here (gdouglaso)

March 10, 2013 at 10:07 am |
    • Damocles

@gd

Yes, just because space is vast and there are some mighty huge stars moving around in it and some big planets as well, doesn't mean a deity made any of it.

March 10, 2013 at 10:15 am |
    • Melissa

Honey, you can believe unicorns live in your garden, monsters live under your bed, and the sky is purple and pink polka dots too and I don't care. I care that you christians are so unbelievably arrogant, ignorant, and think that everyone else should be forced to be too whether those other people agree or not.

March 10, 2013 at 10:23 am |
    • ABarker

Gdouglaso,

"When arguing with fools, don't answer their foolish arguments, or you will become as foolish as they are." Prov. 26:4

People who choose to deny God's existence are fools and arguing with them is pointless. They will figure it out in time.

March 10, 2013 at 10:48 am |
    • ikproductions

@ABarker

Thank you for that... Bible passages that support your viewpoint are always the best. And I agree. Why argue with non-believers? According to God, you are suppost to kill them!

"Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel." (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

The Bible says so, and if you disobey, you go to hell, simple as that.

March 10, 2013 at 11:22 am |
  14. peick

These are great songs. If you are reading this article and aren't the tyipical CNN forum Christian-hater troll, go listen to them. You will immediately like the musical appeal even if the faith isn't yours.

March 10, 2013 at 9:53 am |
    • Unintelligent Designer

The music is definitely catchy and mainstream, no doubt. I must admit, I'd feel much safer with my kids at his concerts as opposed to seeing Pantera or Justing Beeber. Faith is here to stay for the foreseeable future. I'd rather people embrace a more progressive, sanitized Christianity than trying to keep this country in the dark ages (thinking of Bible literalists and young earthers). He should change his name to Christ Omlin.

March 10, 2013 at 9:56 am |
    • ikproductions

Christ Omelette? Mmmmm

March 10, 2013 at 11:26 am |
  15. palintwit

Here's a riddle for all of you right wing nuts...

Q: What do tea party patriots, birthers and NRA members all have in common?
    A: They all crawl a mile over broken glass to sniff the tire tracks of the truck that took Sarah Palin's underwear to the laundry.

March 10, 2013 at 9:52 am |
  16. Rob

It's both comical and sad to see all the hatetheists lashing out at a Christian music artist. How he and Jesus must threaten your fragile little world to cause such a reaction...

March 10, 2013 at 9:52 am |
    • Edweird69

The musician exists, Jesus doesn't. And the only threat I feel, is Xtian's drive to make me live under their theocracy.

March 10, 2013 at 10:01 am |
    • Damocles

Good grief, the man's songs are boring. I don't think it's hate speech to say that he makes boring songs.

I used to listen to a band called Believer... christian death metal, if you can believe it. I didn't agree with everything they said, but those guys could shred. For me, in this story, it's about musical taste.

March 10, 2013 at 10:07 am |
  17. Don't be Mad

Wow, a Christian artist on the front page of CNN? Tomorrow they'll have an article tearing him down.

March 10, 2013 at 9:50 am |
    • End Religion

Tomorrow is more likely 2 more Pope articles. Wanna bet?

March 10, 2013 at 11:13 am |
  18. GO_GOP

Me and my pastor( a man with a deep relationship with our Lord in heaven) were discussing militant atheism and we both agreed that atheism is a mental disorder. Otherwise how could one explain the fact that atheists cling to absurd facts and theories like Quantum Theory and Evolution theory to explain their atheist? For example Quantum theory refers to everything as being both a wave and a particle. It appears that quantum theorists cannot make up their mind and so they sit on the fence of the wave or particle debate!!. How absurd and two faced is that? And yet atheists refer to it as a holy grail. Me and my pastor had a good laugh at them and am laughing now too.

March 10, 2013 at 9:47 am |
    • palintwit

I like your brand of sarcasm.

March 10, 2013 at 9:54 am |
    • Damocles

So the gist of your post is that thinking and learning are just too darn tough and you want nothing to do with either.

March 10, 2013 at 9:54 am |
    • Nick

You should consider studying the rules of English grammar. You should also look into the difference between the words "their," "there," and "they're." Finally, I would encourage you not to revel in ignorance. Your synopsis of those two theories is superficial and inaccurate.

March 10, 2013 at 9:56 am |
    • IAmRightt

lol

March 10, 2013 at 9:56 am |
    • Lordy, Lordy

GO_GOP
      If I were polite I would call you uninformed, but you and your pastor are stupid, ignorant fundies. Leave the search for scientific knowledge to those that have the ability to understand the concepts. The God done it crowd can not see beyond the delusion.

March 10, 2013 at 9:57 am |
    • Unintelligent Designer

That's cute. Do you feel that one day, you will embrace a more progressive Christianity and get with the times (it has happened through history, although painfully slow)? Christ Omlin is the way!

March 10, 2013 at 10:01 am |
    • End Religion

Sounds like AB is bored again...

March 10, 2013 at 11:14 am |
    • ikproductions

You must have slept through the lecture on wave-particle duality in your Quantum Physics class. Just kidding, they obviously don't teach physics in bible college, or anything else for that matter.

March 10, 2013 at 11:39 am |
  19. Thank Goodness

I believe the Bible and what it says and I believe that when I die, my spirit will go on into eternity. For those who choose to believe that death is the end of the road, then OK, your choice. I have much more fun in believing the contrary. Makes the stresses of life easier to digest.

March 10, 2013 at 9:47 am |
    • ikproductions

I imagine believing that you will be safe and live on in heaven after death , would be a comforting thought. I just wonder if you have the opposite and not so comforting thought that if you don't obey, you will live for eternity in fire?

Also, it just seems to me that most Christians look past their life, towards death, and forget to actually live in the process. All anyone can really be sure of is that we are alive right now, but not one person in the world knows what comes after death, and if someone tries to tell you they do, do not believe them because they are lying.

March 10, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
  20. K.C.

Thanks CNN for the article! Congrats C. Tomlin.
    Christians continue to spread the Word of God, as we are to do so. Not forcing anyone to believe, but spread. So called atheists and the like spread their "beliefs" continually on videos and news stories about Christians, but complain about Christians spreading the good news. I still don't understand this, why fight against The One in which say does not exists? It makes no sense at all.

March 10, 2013 at 9:47 am |
    • K.C.

*correction- "Why fight against The One in which you say does not exist."

March 10, 2013 at 9:49 am |
    • Richard Cranium

It is the blind belief in religion which is based in ignorance that most atheists find abhorant.

In order to make a leap of faith, you must turn off the logic and reason portions of your mind. Otherwise, faith would not be necessary.

March 10, 2013 at 9:52 am |
    • peick

Mr. Cranium, why do you believe that scientists are telling you the truth? Have you personally replicated every experiment that has ever been performed and relied upon to reach a conclusion, or do you have FAITH in the process and the people? What is faith to you? Give us an operational definition that can be tested. I'll bet you have more faith than you think.

By the way, you spelled that fancy word wrong.

March 10, 2013 at 9:55 am |
    • Damocles

@peick

The point is that I, or anyone else for that matter, can study and reproduce the experiments. Can you recreate prayers?

March 10, 2013 at 10:00 am |
    • Tom

Why are commenting on it then??? I'll tell you why : You're a bunch of judgmental hypocrites... That's why.

March 10, 2013 at 10:05 am |
    • Richard Cranium

pieck
      Science is the search for truth, facts.
      Experimentation and observation are the tools used to find said truths.

Religion asks questions that are invalid, and then someone (a man or men in most cases) answers them based on....nothing.

Such as Why are we here (often accompanied by "there must be a reason")...iinvalid question...why do you think there is a reason?

March 10, 2013 at 10:06 am |
    • Lordy, Lordy

peick
      Well there you are pecking away at your keyboard that science had a great deal to do with its creation; faith is the belief in something without evidence. Wonder what your life would be without the discoveries of science?

March 10, 2013 at 10:09 am |
    • Melissa

Actually you are trying to force people to believe in your religion through things like law. Deal with it. As for spreading... you mean like a flu virus? Think about that for a second.

March 10, 2013 at 10:25 am |