home
RSS
The secular high priest of SXSW
Bijoy Goswami is the founder of Bootstrap Ausitn and has become a secular pastor to Austin start ups.
March 9th, 2013

The secular high priest of SXSW

By Josh Rubin, CNN
[twitter-follow screen_name='cnnexpress']

Austin, Texas (CNN)– As the Catholic world focuses on Rome and awaits a new pope, the secular world has turned its attention to Austin, Texas, for the annual pilgrimage of tech and music.

This weekend marks the start of the 20th annual South by Southwest Interactive Festival, an event with the goal of “fostering creative and professional growth.” For five days, some of the world’s brightest minds will commune, collaborate and experiment.

But there is more to it than pure bacchanalia.

For Bijoy Goswami, this is a high holiday with as much virtue as vice. He sees SXSW as a secular celebration where people join together to take the tools of technology and transform them into world-shaking culture. It's no accident that Twitter was released at SXSW.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

At 39-years-old, Goswami is the quintessential Austenite with long hair, a casual style and a computer science degree. He has made a home and built a career around the Austin ethos. He's introspective, relaxed, hip and weird - in a good way.

Goswami describes Austin as a place of becoming: “I’m trying to figure out what to do in my various aspects of my life - spiritual, work, relational - things like that. Austin gave me the communities to work through those questions for myself,” he says.

Moving to Austin from Silicon Valley in the mid-'90s, Goswami started a software company before finding what he says is his true calling. Taking what he learned during his own self-discovery, he now makes his living helping other entrepreneurs find their own path.

Successful startups are often built by people who know who they are and what they want, said Goswami who tries to provide a platform for people to find those answers for themselves.

It’s that message of personal exploration and responsibility that local leaders like Heather McKissick find so appealing. “If there is a secular guru, it's Bijoy. His message is one of self-enlightenment through the hard work of bootstrapping and chopping wood.”

Through years of friendship, SXSW panels, and her work as president of the Austin Leadership council, McKissick has experienced all sides of a man she calls a brilliant secular humanist. “He has his disciples, but there is also a trusted inner circle that sees past the charisma and understands him as a brilliant, articulate and equally flawed human as the rest of us.”

Born in India to a Hindu father and Catholic mother, Goswami was a child of both Eastern and Western philosophy. “I always had exposure to Hinduism, Islam, and Buddhism. They were all in the water and air I was breathing. “

Goswami’s mother, however, wanted her children to be raised Catholic.

“My dad said, ‘Fine.’ So all the way through 18, Catholicism worked for me. I didn’t question it - I just liked it.”

His father’s career moved the family from India to Taiwan and then to Hong Kong. Goswami’s mother began teaching at the American Hong Kong International School, allowing him and his brothers to attend for free. Goswami’s life in Hong Kong was a happy one - at home, school, and in church.

“I was an altar boy. I had no problems with priests. I read the Gospels. I was a student of the Bible. I believed I had a personal relationship with God … all of that stuff. “

But long before Pope Benedict resigned, Goswami had already fired him.

While attending Stanford University, Goswami began studying the history of the Catholic Church, and long held beliefs began to erode. “My mind's getting blown. Every single thing that I believed, like the sacraments, were just invented by various popes and people.”

Like many, after leaving home for college, Goswami had a crisis of faith. By the end of  his sophomore year, he came to a realization “that not only were Christianity and Catholicism invented by people … but so was every other religion. Take the Catholic Church - it’s caught up in old conversations that aren’t relevant. They’re still fighting the battles of 50 years ago within themselves rather then helping people on their journey or path.”

For Goswami, not being a Catholic meant more than shrugging off the teachings of the church. It meant fundamentally changing his relationship with his mother. “That was a really hard moment for my mom and me. I went back to Hong Kong for summer break and I said, ‘Hey Mom, I’m not going to go to church with you.' ”

The beginning of Goswami’s story isn’t unique, but that didn’t make his religious disillusionment any easier. It hurt him to hurt his mother. “I was her blue-eyed altar boy who had done no wrong, who she thought would be a priest … and I am a priest, just differently,” he says.

As a secular priest of sorts, Goswami has officiated weddings and provided council for hundreds in the Austin startup community. He received his ordination online through the popular Universal Life Church, which according to its website ordains, "ministers, priests, rabbis and clergy worldwide who are totally non-religious or even anti-religious."

Bijoy Goswami preforms the wedding of Bruce Krysiak and Gigi De Leon in April 2012.

One such person counseled by Goswami is Josh Baer, manager of Austin’s Capital Factory incubator. Goswami was a crucial part of his development as an entrepreneur.

Goswami “has this Zen quality and personal confidence that makes people feel comfortable sharing their dreams and aspirations,” Baer says. “He guides others on their path.”

To Baer and hundreds like him, Goswami is like a high priest for Austin’s entrepreneurs, a role he built over the years by leaning on the lessons of the faith he left.

He created a congregation of like-minded entrepreneurs by founding bootstrap Austin, an informal group of founders coming together to share experiences. His message is that just because you’re going it alone doesn’t mean you have to be alone, and it permeates the Austin start-up scene.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

That deep understanding of the importance of community is one of the reasons he isn’t bitter towards Catholicism. “I’m grateful to religion. In the march of history, it has served a very important purpose,” he says, pausing and smiling slightly. “Now we start to take that back.”

Participating in the 10-day SXSW festival is part of what Goswami calls his self-curation. It’s one of the ways he has found meaning without God.

“We’ve recreated those structures, we need celebration, we need community, we need conversation about meaning and identity, all those things we need,” he says.

For Goswami, religion is of his past, and now it’s time for him to move on.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Catholic Church • Texas • United States

1. Answerman

I always get a kick out of those who deny God as they vote for men who are believers.
    How DO they reconcile this disparity in their own minds? What excuses do they make-up for voting believers into office?

March 9, 2013 at 8:49 pm |
    • midwest rail

Please do tell us how you know anyone's voting record.

March 9, 2013 at 8:54 pm |
    • STFU

what make you so sure those people in office are not faking?

March 9, 2013 at 8:58 pm |
    • G to the T

I've voted for men/women who SAY they are believers. But I try not to hold that against them and just go by what policies, etc. they stand for and/or have voted on... Is that so hard to grasp?

March 12, 2013 at 12:31 pm |
  2. Answerman

...and as if pagans posting comments on religious blogs is living your life, @Tia.

March 9, 2013 at 8:42 pm |
    • .

...and as if the reply button escapes you, Assholeman.

March 9, 2013 at 8:51 pm |
  3. Gerry from Bayonne

You've got to be a real nut job to take any advice from this guy Goswami

March 9, 2013 at 8:38 pm |
  4. Chad

How would an atheist explain humanities search for the meaning of life?
    Where does that universal longing for a spiritual relationship with a transcendent power come from?

March 9, 2013 at 8:36 pm |
    • Religion is

Superstition!

Why do you think life must have a purpose or meaning? Why can't you just accept the fact that we just happened? As for a longing for some supreme being is just human nature. I shredded that albatross a long time ago.

March 9, 2013 at 8:48 pm |
    • Chad

Why can't you just accept the fact that we just happened?

good question, why do you think everyone, even atheists, search for meaning in life?

March 9, 2013 at 8:50 pm |
    • Religion is

Superstition!

How would I know that? I can only speak for myself and I don't waste my time in searching for the purpose of life.

March 9, 2013 at 8:55 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Our brains evolved to solve riddles/puzzles. Of course we wonder about where we come from and where we go and hypothesize. It's an extension of our consciousness's desire to predict and survive.

March 9, 2013 at 8:55 pm |
    • Chad

How would evolving the ability to want to be in contact with something that doesnt exist, possibly improve our ability to predict and survive??

That's the atheist view, right? doesnt make sense...

March 9, 2013 at 8:58 pm |
    • Answer

Constantly trying to define atheists aren't you, Chad?

Trying so hard to pigeonhole those people that you can't pigeonhole because you're just an idiot.

March 9, 2013 at 9:04 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Of course you don't understand, Chad. I never expect lying idiots to understand me. If you're interested in how a puzzle-solving brain considers puzzles of larger and philosophical natures (such as a "higher purpose" or "eternal source") then the research is out there. Feel free to look into it and then misquote it and misrepresent it like is your standard practice.

I'm just glad for the side your on when you show yourself to be such a lying azzhat.

March 9, 2013 at 9:10 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Oh, and fvckwad Chad, you completely put words in my mouth with your response. I said nothing at all like, "evolving the ability to want to be in contact with something that doesnt exist." THIS is an example of a lie that you always want examples of because you dont realize your every thought and action is a form of lie because it extends out of your very being.

March 9, 2013 at 9:14 pm |
    • Chad

Thanks @Moby, as usual I'm indebted to your reading recommendations.

turns out:
      1. Explaining religion without God is quite the growth industry among evolutionary psychologists..
      2. There is no consensus of any kind as to why or how this occurred in the atheist view.
      3. Religious behavior often involves significant costs including economic costs, celibacy, dangerous rituals, or by spending time that could be otherwise used. This would suggest that natural selection should act against religious behavior unless it or something else causing religious behavior have significant advantages.

March 9, 2013 at 9:25 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Chad sounds a bit like C.S. Lewis who went on about the emotions we feel over the "Numinous". I can't say I've ever longed to have a relationship with a transcendent power. None has come along. I think it would be difficult to have one since it would view reality in a very different way. Longing for meaning in life is wanting to be of use. As social animals it's natural that we should feel this.

March 9, 2013 at 9:26 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Religion and spiritual belief provide comfort and structure. I am actually very surprised to see atheism on the rise, and if our world falls into hard times, I expect most people will believe some sort of religion. We want easy answers that stroke our egos; religion fills that role perfectly.

March 9, 2013 at 9:29 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

It depends on how the person is raised, Tom Tom. I think that the more ignorant and isolated a society, the more tendency towards religious ideas. The brain seeks out connection and knowledge and if those are in the case of lack, it makes up ideas about higher parent figures and rules to follow and certainties to cling to by faith.

March 9, 2013 at 9:32 pm |
    • Chad

Longing for meaning in life is wanting to be of use.

finding meaning in life is obviously not about merely being needed/useful.

March 9, 2013 at 9:33 pm |
    • Chad

@Moby "We want easy answers that stroke our egos; religion fills that role perfectly"

=>what survival benefit does being satisfied with delusional answers provide?

you're encountering exactly the problem that evolutionary psychologists are, it simply can not be explained..

March 9, 2013 at 9:36 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Humans are extremely ritualistic, Chad. It's one of the reasons why we are all here, now. We're ritualistic. It makes perfect sense to me that humanity has spent so much time and energy in worship of hundreds of thousands of ideas and deities. Our brains for themselves when we are children so of course we reach out for parent figures beyond ourselves.

March 9, 2013 at 9:36 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

I think you are right, Moby. I dated a woman after college who was very religious. She often called her God her "daddy". She was a long way from home and her God was a substitute for missed family connections.

March 9, 2013 at 9:38 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Of course I can explain it, Chad, and you'll lie and squirm and misquote and put words in my mouth and lie some more. I'm satisfied with the explanations I have discovered. I'm explaining to you that they exist if you care to look into it. I have zero interest in convincing you to do anything; but on the contrary, I want you to continue to lie and be a dovchebag for your god. I have no greater desire for you, Chad, than to continue exactly as you are.

March 9, 2013 at 9:39 pm |
    • Chad

@moby " It makes perfect sense to me that humanity has spent so much time and energy in worship of hundreds of thousands of ideas and deities."

=>not to an atheist it doesnt... It's completely wasted time and energy, how would evolution favor it??

March 9, 2013 at 9:40 pm |
    • Austin

Deep down, he hates hell so much it makes Him mad at God.
      It's like a vigilante propoganda mission.

It begs Gods attention really, and has a very Godly character too it, and a humane rebellion. The need for prayer is now.

I think God knows people like this are an asset. We need a supernatural invention here Lord. Give Him faith. I call for your HolySpirit to bear the truth sovereignty , and Uriel the angel and a host to minister repentance and fight.

2 cor 4:6
      For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.

March 9, 2013 at 9:43 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Religious adherence and ritual provide social bonding which is a huge part of social evolution. If you're seriously trying discuss genetic evolution in this context (and it seems that way, lolllollol) and that's the cause of this b!tchiness, then you're fvcking stupid as fvck.

March 9, 2013 at 9:44 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

You retard, I don't hate hell. I say that hell is an evil thing and that any god who allows it to exist is evil and that the only being who deserves hell is the one who would utilize hell. Defining something and having a feeling about it are two different things, dipsh!t.

March 9, 2013 at 9:46 pm |

"hell is an evil thing"
      =>dont forget, you dont believe in evil....

March 9, 2013 at 9:49 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

More than wanting to be of use? How so, Chad?

Religion and religiosity have other bases than wanting to find meaning. I think predominantly they come from a desire to be safe.

March 9, 2013 at 9:51 pm |

@ Readers at least twice as smart as Chad:

Our brains evolved to solve puzzles.
      Our puzzle-solving brains consider all sorts of puzzles from all sorts of perspectives. Most of those imaginary problems and solutions are pointless other than exercising the brain, but they demonstrate how much our brain thirsts for the exercise of figuring out difficult problems.
      Religious ritual provide comfort and structure to a society and help stabilize it. (By almost any definition, baseball, in America, can be easily defined as a religious ritual and is a non-spiritual-religion that explains the model and the usefulness).

It's fascinating stuff to research, too!

March 9, 2013 at 9:53 pm |
    • Chad

@Moby "Religious adherence and ritual provide social bonding which is a huge part of social evolution"
      @Moby " I think that the more ignorant and isolated a society, the more tendency towards religious ideas"

you do realize, that those two statements are diametrically opposed.. right?

March 9, 2013 at 9:54 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

You see, Chad, this is an example of why I find you so stomach-churningly disgusting. Unicorns are pretty, regardless of the fact that they are not real and I don't "believe" in them. What a fvcking waste of air you prove yourself to be.

March 9, 2013 at 9:54 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Ah yes, baseball... It's the very imperfection of the ball that makes the game so worthwhile.

March 9, 2013 at 9:56 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

No, Chad, they are not. I do not expect you to understand any of this, though. I expect it is all completely over your head.

March 9, 2013 at 9:56 pm |
    • Bob

Now He said to them, “These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled” (Luke 24:44).

The following twenty-five Old Testament prophecies deal with events surrounding the crucifixion of Jesus Christ including His betrayal, trial, death and burial. They were uttered by many different voices and over a period of 500 years, yet they were all fulfilled within twenty-four hours on the day that He died for the sins of the world.

Prophecies Relating to Christ’s Crucifixion
      1. Sold for Thirty Pieces of Silver
      Prophecy: Zechariah 11:12 And I said to them, “If it is good in your sight, give me my wages; but if not, never mind!” So they weighed out thirty shekels of silver as my wages.

Fulfillment: Matthew 26:14-15 Then one of the twelve, named Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests, 15 and said, “What are you willing to give me to deliver Him up to you?” And they weighed out to him thirty pieces of silver.

2. Betrayed By a Friend
      Prophecy: Psalm 55:12-14 For it is not an enemy who reproaches me, Then I could bear it; Nor is it one who hates me who has exalted himself against me, Then I could hide myself from him. 13 But it is you, a man my equal, My companion and my familiar friend. 14 We who had sweet fellowship together, Walked in the house of God in the throng. (See also Psalm 41:9; Zech 13:6).

Fulfillment: Matthew 26:49-50 And immediately he went to Jesus and said, “Hail, Rabbi!” and kissed Him. 50 And Jesus said to him, “Friend, do what you have come for.” Then they came and laid hands on Jesus and seized Him.

3. The Money Cast to the Potter
      Prophecy: Zechariah 11:13 Then the LORD said to me, “Throw it to the potter, that magnificent price at which I was valued by them.” So I took the thirty shekels of silver and threw them to the potter in the house of the LORD.

Fulfillment: Matthew 27:5-7 And he threw the pieces of silver into the sanctuary and departed; and he went away and hanged himself. 6 And the chief priests took the pieces of silver and said, “It is not lawful to put them into the temple treasury, since it is the price of blood.” 7 And they counseled together and with the money bought the Potter’s Field as a burial place for strangers.

NOTE: Notice that in both prophecy and fulfillment we find stated that (1) it was silver; (2) there were 30 pieces (Matt. 27:3); (3) they were thrown down; (4) they were cast down in the House of the Lord; and (5) the money was used to purchase the potter’s field.

4. The Disciples Forsook Him
      Prophecy: Zechariah 13:7 "Awake, O sword, against My Shepherd, And against the man, My Associate," Declares the LORD of hosts. "Strike the Shepherd that the sheep may be scattered; And I will turn My hand against the little ones.

Fulfillment: Matthew 26:56 “But all this has taken place that the Scriptures of the prophets may be fulfilled.” Then all the disciples left Him and fled. (See also Mark 14:27)

5. Accused by False Witnesses
      Prophecy: Psalm 35:11 Malicious witnesses rise up; They ask me of things that I do not know.

Fulfillment: Matthew 26:59-60 Now the chief priests and the whole Council kept trying to obtain false testimony against Jesus, in order that they might put Him to death; and they did not find any, even though many false witnesses came forward. But later on two came forward, . . .

6. Smitten and Spit Upon
      Prophecy: Isaiah 50:6 I gave My back to those who strike Me, And My cheeks to those who pluck out the beard; I did not cover My face from humiliation and spitting.

Fulfillment: Matthew 27:30 And they spat on Him, and took the reed and began to beat Him on the head.

NOTE: Note here the details that correspond in both prophecy and fulfillment (1) He was to be smitten, (2) He was to be smitten on the face (as well as the other parts of the body). See Luke 22:64. (3) He was to be spit upon, and (4) He was to be spitten upon in the face.

7. Dumb Before His Accusers
      Prophecy: Isaiah 53:7 He was oppressed and He was afflicted, Yet He did not open His mouth; Like a lamb that is led to slaughter, And like a sheep that is silent before its shearers, So He did not open His mouth.

Fulfillment: Matthew 27:12-14 And while He was being accused by the chief priests and elders, He made no answer. Then Pilate said to Him, “Do You not hear how many things they testify against You?” And He did not answer him with regard to even a single charge, so that the governor was quite amazed.

8. Wounded and Bruised
      Prophecy: Isaiah 53:5 But He was pierced through for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; The chastening for our well-being fell upon Him, And by His scourging we are healed.

Fulfillment: Matthew 27:26, 29 Then he released Barabbas for them; but after having Jesus scourged, he delivered Him to be crucified. . . . And after weaving a crown of thorns, they put it on His head, and a reed in His right hand; and they kneeled down before Him and mocked Him, saying, “Hail, King of the Jews!”

9. Fell Under the Cross
      Prophecy: Psalm 109:24 My knees are weak from fasting; And my flesh has grown lean, without fatness.

Fulfillment: John 19:17 They took Jesus therefore, and He went out, bearing His own cross, to the place called the Place of a Skull, which is called in Hebrew, Golgotha. Luke 23:26 And when they led Him away, they laid hold of one Simon of Cyrene, coming in from the country, and placed on him the cross to carry behind Jesus.

NOTE: Evidently the Lord was so weak that His knees gave way under the weight of the heavy cross. So they had to put it on another.

10. Hands and Feet Pierced
      Prophecy: Psalm 22:16 For dogs have surrounded me; A band of evildoers has encompassed me; They pierced my hands and my feet.

Fulfillment: Luke 23:33 And when they came to the place called The Skull, there they crucified Him and the criminals, one on the right and the other on the left.

NOTE: Christ was crucified in the customary Roman manner, the hands and feet being pierced by huge spikes which fastened the body to the wooden cross. See John 20:25-27 “ . . . except I shall see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails . . . Then said He (Jesus) to Thomas, reach hither thy finger and behold My hands,” etc.

11. Crucified with Thieves

Fulfillment: Mark 15:27-28 And they crucified two robbers with Him, one on His right and one on His left. 28 (And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, "And He was numbered with transgressors.")

12. Prayed For His Persecutors
      Prophecy: Isaiah 53:12 Therefore, I will allot Him a portion with the great, And He will divide the booty with the strong; Because He poured out Himself to death, And was numbered with the transgressors; Yet He Himself bore the sin of many, And interceded for the transgressors. (emphasis mine)

Fulfillment: Luke 23:34 But Jesus was saying, “Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing.” And they cast lots, dividing up His garments among themselves.

Here Jesus, as foreseen by Isaiah, “interceded for the transgressors” who nailed him to the cross.

13. People Shook Their Heads
      Prophecy: Psalm 109:25 I also have become a reproach to them; When they see me, they wag their head.

Fulfillment: Matthew 27:39 And those passing by were hurling abuse at Him, wagging their heads.

14. People Ridiculed Him
      Prophecy: Psalm 22:8 “Commit yourself to the LORD; let Him deliver him; Let Him rescue him, because He delights in him.”

Fulfillment: Matthew 27:41-43 In the same way the chief priests also, along with the scribes and elders, were mocking Him, and saying, 42 “He saved others; He cannot save Himself. He is the King of Israel; let Him now come down from the cross, and we shall believe in Him. 43 “He trusts in God; let Him deliver Him now, if He takes pleasure in Him; for He said, ‘I am the Son of God.’”

15. People Astonished
      Prophecy: Psalm 22:17 I can count all my bones. They look, they stare at me;

Fulfillment: Luke 23:35 And the people stood by, looking on. And even the rulers were sneering at Him, saying, “He saved others; let Him save Himself if this is the Christ of God, His Chosen One.”

16. Garments Parted and Lots Cast
      Prophecy: Psalm 22:18 They divide my garments among them, And for my clothing they cast lots.

Fulfillment: John 19:23-24 The soldiers therefore, when they had crucified Jesus, took His outer garments and made four parts, a part to every soldier and also the tunic; now the tunic was seamless, woven in one piece. 24 They said therefore to one another, “Let us not tear it, but cast lots for it, to decide whose it shall be”; that the Scripture might be fulfilled, “They divided My outer garments among them, and for My clothing they cast lots.”

NOTE: How exact the inspired prophecy! The garments were to be parted among them, but the vesture was to be awarded to one by lots. These were statements that would appear almost contradictory unless explained by the record of the scene at the cross.

17. His Forsaken Cry
      Prophecy: Psalm 22:1 For the choir director; upon Aijeleth Hashshahar. A Psalm of David. My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken me? Far from my deliverance are the words of my groaning.

Fulfillment: Matthew 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “ Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? “that is, “ My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me ?”

18. Gall and Vinegar Given Him
      Prophecy: Psalm 69:21 They also gave me gall for my food, And for my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.

Fulfillment: John 19:28-29 After this, Jesus, knowing that all things had already been accomplished, in order that the Scripture might be fulfilled, said, “I am thirsty.” 29 A jar full of sour wine was standing there; so they put a sponge full of the sour wine upon a branch of hyssop, and brought it up to His mouth.

19. Committed Himself to God
      Prophecy: Psalm 31:5 Into Thy hand I commit my spirit; Thou hast ransomed me, O LORD, God of truth.

Fulfillment: Luke 23:46 And Jesus, crying out with a loud voice, said, “Father, into Thy hands I commit My spirit.” And having said this, He breathed His last.

20. Friends Stood Afar Off
      Prophecy: Psalm 38:11 My loved ones and my friends stand aloof from my plague; And my kinsmen stand afar off.

Fulfillment: Luke 23:49 And all His acquaintances and the women who accompanied Him from Galilee, were standing at a distance, seeing these things.

21. Bones Not Broken
      Prophecy: Psalm 34:20 He keeps all his bones; Not one of them is broken.

Fulfillment: John 19:33, 36 but coming to Jesus, when they saw that He was already dead, they did not break His legs; . . . 36 For these things came to pass, that the Scripture might be fulfilled,” Not a bone of Him shall be broken. “

NOTE: It is profitable to notice two other prophecies concerning His bones which undoubtedly had an exact fulfillment, although such is not stated in Scripture in so many words. We draw our conclusions from honest inference. (1) Psalm 22:14 “All my bones are out of joint.” Hanging on the cross by the hands and feet would easily disjoint the bones, especially when we remember that the body was fixed to the frame while lying on the ground. (2) Psalm 22:17 “I may tell all My bones.” He was left hanging on the cross naked (John 19:23) and all His bones could thus easily be seen. The extension of the body and the wasting pangs of crucifixion would make the bones more prominent than usual.

22. Heart Broken
      Prophecy: Psalm 22:14 I am poured out like water, And all my bones are out of joint; My heart is like wax; It is melted within me.

Fulfillment: John 19:34 but one of the soldiers pierced His side with a spear, and immediately there came out blood and water.

NOTE: The blood and water running out of the pierced side presented an evidence that the heart had literally burst.

23. His Side Pierced
      Prophecy: Zechariah 12:10 “And I will pour out on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the Spirit of grace and of supplication, so that they will look on Me whom they have pierced; and they will mourn for Him, as one mourns for an only son, and they will weep bitterly over Him, like the bitter weeping over a first-born.

Fulfillment: John 19:34-37 but one of the soldiers pierced His side with a spear, and immediately there came out blood and water. 35 And he who has seen has borne witness, and his witness is true; and he knows that he is telling the truth, so that you also may believe. 36 For these things came to pass, that the Scripture might be fulfilled,” Not a bone of Him shall be broken. “ 37 And again another Scripture says, “They shall look on Him whom they pierced.”

24. Darkness Over the Land
      Prophecy: Amos 8:9 “And it will come about in that day,” declares the Lord GOD, “That I shall make the sun go down at noon And make the earth dark in broad daylight.

Fulfillment: Matthew 27:45 Now from the sixth hour darkness fell upon all the land until the ninth hour.

NOTE: The Jews reckoned twelve hours from sunrise to sunset. This would make the sixth hour about noon, and the ninth hour near three o’clock.

25. Buried in a Rich Man’s Tomb
      Prophecy: Isaiah 53:9 His grave was assigned with wicked men, Yet He was with a rich man in His death, Because He had done no violence, Nor was there any deceit in His mouth.

Fulfillment: Matthew 27:57-60 And when it was evening, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph, who himself had also become a disciple of Jesus. 58 This man went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus. Then Pilate ordered it to be given over to him. 59 And Joseph took the body and wrapped it in a clean linen cloth, 60 and laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn out in the rock; and he rolled a large stone against the entrance of the tomb and went away.

Old Testament Prophecies
      Relating to the Person of Christ
      1. His first Advent
      The Fact: Gen. 3:15; Deut. 18:15; Psa. 89:20; Isa. 2:2; 28:16; 32:1; 35:4; 42:6; 49:1; 55:4; Ezek. 34:24; Dan. 2:44; Micah 4:1; Zech 3:8.

The Time: Gen. 49:10; Num. 24:17; Dan. 9:24; Mal. 3:1.

His Divinity: Psa. 2:7, 11; 45: 6-7, 11; 72:8; 102:24-27; 89:26-27; 110:1; Isa. 9:6; 25:9; 40:10; Jer. 23:6; Micah 5:2; Mal 8:1.

Human Generation: Gen. 12:3; 18:18; 21:12; 22:18; 26:4; 28:14; 49:10; 2 Sam. 7:14; Psa. 18:4-6; 50:22-23; 89:4, 29-30; 132:11; Isa. 11:1; Jer. 23:5; 33:15.

2. His Forerunner
      Isa. 40:3; Mal. 3:1; 4:5.

3. His Nativity and Early Years
      The Fact: Gen. 3:15; Isa. 7:14; Jer 31:22

The Place: Num. 24:17, 19; Micah 5:2

Adoration by Magi: Psalm 72:10, 15; Isa. 60:3, 6

Descent into Egypt: Hosea 11:1

Massacre of Innocents: Jer 31:15

4. His Mission and Office
      Mission: Gen. 12:3; 49:10; Num. 24:19; Deut. 19:18; Psa. 21:1; Isa. 59:20; Jer. 33:16

Priest Like Melchizedek: Psalm 110:4

Prophet Like Moses: Deut. 18:15

Conversion of Gentiles: Isa. 11:10; Deut. 32:43; Psa. 18:49; 19:4; 117:1; Isa. 42:1; 45:23; 49:6; Hosea 1:10; 2:23; Joel 2:32.

Ministry in Galilee: Isa. 9:1-2

Miracles: Isa. 35:5-6; 42:7; 53:4

Spiritual Graces: Psa. 45:7; Isa. 11:2; 42:1; 53:9; 61:1-2

Preaching: Psa. 2:7; 78:2; Isa. 2:3; 61:1; Micah 4:2

Purification of Temple: Psa. 69:9

5. His Purpose
      Rejection by Jews and Gentiles: Psa. 2:1; 22:12; 41:5; 56:5; 69:8; 118:22-23; Isa. 6:9-10; 8:14; 29:13; 53:1; 65:2

Persecution: Psa. 22:6; 35:7, 12; 56:5; 71:10; 109:2; Isa. 49:7; 53:3

Burial with the Rich: Isa. 53:9

6. His Resurrection
      Psalm 16:8-10; 30:3; 41:10; 118:17; Hosea 6:2

7. His Ascension
      Psalm 16:11; 24:7; 68:18; 110:1; 118:19

8. His Second Advent
      Psalm 50:3-6; Isa. 9:6-7; 66:18; Dan 7:13-14; Zech. 12:10; 14:4-8.

Dominion Universal and Everlasting: 1 Chron. 17:11-14; Psa. 72:8; Isa. 9:7; Dan 7:14; Psa. 2;6-8; 8:6; 110:1-3; 45:6-7

March 9, 2013 at 9:56 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Now who's going to clean that up Bob? Couldn't you hold that in until you could get to a toilet or at least a sink?

March 9, 2013 at 10:00 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Bob, if you're really interested in why supposed prophecy is a horrible argument for your position, the work is out there. Look into if you have enough courage to consider it fairly.

March 9, 2013 at 10:02 pm |
    • Chad

=>it religion is a huge part of social evolution, why would you think that it would be most practiced in isolated communities?

March 9, 2013 at 10:04 pm |
    • Austin

Religion, which started with Adam and was copied by Cain becausenhenwas jealous and had to present a rival, is not about being bored and socially strong. It's about jealous manipulation. The truth has always had rivals and wannabes.

March 9, 2013 at 10:11 pm |
    • Austin

Baal presented satanic marvel, and also in a group of isolated people, there will always be one to realize the spiritual side. Left without the correct input, what happens? That is called a consequence of sin. Serperation from the clan was the reason there is a generational curse to not honoring God.

March 9, 2013 at 10:15 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

C.u.l.t.s. u...n...i.f.y.,. .C.h..a.d., .a.n..d. .ar.i.s..e. f.r.o.m.. .u./.n..i.t..y.. .A..n ..i.s.ol.a.t.e.d. .s.o.c.i.e.t..y. d.o.e.s. .n.o.t. .h.a.v.e .a.c.c.e.s.s. .t.o. .a.l.t.e...r.n...a.t.i.v.e. .i.d.e.a.s. .a.n.d .s.o. .t.he. .c...u.l.t. i.s. .p.r.a.c.t.i.ce.d. .m.o.r.e. .r.e.a.d.i.l.y... .A. .c.o.n.n.e.ct.e.d. .s.o.c.i.e.t.y .o.f.f.e.r.s .i.n..di.v..i.d.u.a.l.s. .m.o.re. .w..a.ys. .o.f. .th.i.n.k.i.n.g. .a.nd. .s.o. .th.e. .c...u.l.t. .d.o.es. ..n.ot. .h.a.v.e a.s .m.u.c.h. .ho.l.d... .I.t.'.s. a. .m.a.t.t.e.r. o.f. .w.h..e.r.e .t.h.e .c.o...g....n...i.t.i..v.e. d.i.s.s.o.n.a.n.c.e. .o.c.c.ur.s... .S.om.e.t.i.m.es. .th.e.. c...u.l.t .g.r.o.w.s. .l..ar.g.e.. .a.n.d .t.h.e .c.o...g.n.i.t.i.v.e. d.i..s.s.o.na.n.c.e. ..h.it.s.. .t.h.e .s.o.ciety .a.l.l. ..a.t.. .o..n.ce. .w.h.e.n. .t.h.e.y. .a.re. .i.nva.d.e.d. .b.y. .a. .h.e.r.e.t.of..o.re.. .un.k.n.o.w.n. .e.nt.i.t.y... .S.om.e..t.i.m.e.s. .t.h.e. ..c.o.n.ne.ct.i.on. h.a.p.p.e.n.s. .l.es.s. .se.v..e.re.l.y. .a.n.d. .t.h.e. .c...u.l.t. .l.o.s.e.s. .po.w.er. ..as. .v.a.r..i.o..u.s. .id.e.a.s. .c..o.m.p..et.e.. .a.t. .t.h.e. .l.e.v.e.l. .o.f. t.h.e. ..i.n.d.i.v.i.d.u.al... .E.n.v.i.r.o.n.m.e.n.tal. comp.o.n.e..n.t.s. .l.i.k.e. ..r.e.s..o.u.r..c.e .a.v.aila.b.i.l.it.y. a.n.d. .ge.o.g.r.a.p.h.y. .f.a.c.to.r. i..n. .h.e.a.vil..y.,. ..t.o.o.

March 9, 2013 at 10:17 pm |
    • Chad

religion produces unity, but unity offers more alternatives so religion dies off?

you feel that makes sense? Religion produces society, then society provides the means to eliminate religion?

that doesnt line up with reality...

March 9, 2013 at 10:22 pm |
    • Chad

your problem word was "entity"...

March 9, 2013 at 10:26 pm |
    • Austin

? Did you manually put all those periods in there ?

March 9, 2013 at 10:31 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

It's interesting to watch as religion dies off in Europe, the United States, and elsewhere were people feel that religion doesn't deliver on making everyday life bearable quite as well as taking ownership of one's own life. Religion is always waiting, though, for people who are failing in some way and are desperate for some sort of rescue.

March 9, 2013 at 10:36 pm |
    • Chad

Christians make up about the same portion of the world’s population today (32%) as they did a century ago (35%).

March 9, 2013 at 10:41 pm |
    • End Religion

I have never once desired a relationship with any imaginary creature. I am not searching for any meaning of life. It would be nice to know with more certainty about the origin of life, but that doesn't include "meaning". One who craves a relationship with a "transcendent" power is one who is frail and fearful.

March 10, 2013 at 4:09 am |
  5. Correctlycenter

The LORD God Almighty's proof is in His creation. Life can only produce life. God created the heavens and the earth and all living things on the earth. Things just do not appear from nowhere and suddenly sprout life. Atheists do not want to accept God, they cannot explain Creation other than to scoff at the LORD. You-tube nonsense, vulgar and ridiculous humor and other fiction is their only answer against God's truth...

Science, reason, logic, the periodic table elements all are from God's creation and wisdom...

March 9, 2013 at 8:30 pm |
    • Religion is

Superstition!

So where did god sprout from? A super god?

March 9, 2013 at 8:51 pm |
  6. Answerman

@Tom. God is not in charge of his enemy Satan nor in charge of the warmongers and religious boy humpers of the world. God only allows these things for the sake of his son, Jesus Christ, who is even now gathering his followers out from among the warmongers and false religions.
    After all of the Great Shepherd's lost sheep have been found, God's enemies who have been abusing his son's little sheep shall be dealt with harshly.

March 9, 2013 at 8:04 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

Some more hinduism ignorance from follower of hindu Mithra ism, savior ism, hindu ism absurdity of pot head hindu swamis, crook shamans of hindu dark ages.

March 9, 2013 at 8:17 pm |
    • Austin

Islam, what about the resurrection?

March 9, 2013 at 8:28 pm |
    • So god's plan and the power of prayer is horse sh-it

If god is not in charge of " Satan nor in charge of the warmongers and religious boy humpers" then what they do is not god's plan and god is impotent.
      If you pray for help from evil, god will do nothing (not in charge) so prayer is also impotent

March 9, 2013 at 8:29 pm |
    • STFU

I recommend those free internet IQ tests for you Mohammad, I think something is not right with what you write.

March 9, 2013 at 8:33 pm |
    • STFU

STFU Austin idiot, don't feed the troll.

March 9, 2013 at 8:34 pm |
    • ..

Soon, religious men who idolize the bungholes of young males will be sent to prison rather than being tranferred to another archdiocese or kept secret by cohorts like their wives who will also be going to prison as accessories.
      ALL religions shelter men who raype boys preferring to call themselves together RATHER than calling the police when a boy humper is found among them. ALL humpers of young males are going to be in prison where they belong…among convicted sodomites.

March 9, 2013 at 8:45 pm |
    • Austin

All religions shelter men who raype boys?

March 9, 2013 at 9:25 pm |
  7. Tom, Tom, the Other One

Someone mentioned unbridled orgies on an earlier page. Does that mean no spurs too? Seriously? In Texas?

March 9, 2013 at 7:47 pm |
    • Akira

And whips. Can't forget whips.

March 9, 2013 at 7:52 pm |
  8. Brandon Arkell

Wait, people in Texas are able to have medical records? I thought health-care, education, and science were forbidden there. Oh, wait. Austin....

March 9, 2013 at 7:37 pm |
    • OOO

Aaaawh, that's all that socialism ...an-such

March 9, 2013 at 8:06 pm |
    • Correctlycenter

God created everything we see, including science, reason and logic...

March 9, 2013 at 8:21 pm |
    • This is god's "infinite love"?

Correctlycenter "God created everything we see, including science, reason and logic..."
      So why did god wait 5,930 years before giving us antibiotics?

March 9, 2013 at 8:32 pm |
  9. ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

Word dog has no other meaning, but a hindu secular, filthy self centered, a kenjer, Letter D means The, vowel E means identical in essence, Latter G is result of intentions by heart and mind. word dog means, one in secular ism, self center ism, the way of hindu secular s, filthy self centered is not of human, but of animals. One in following of animals in life have no right to be preachers for humanity, but to be with their own kind, hindu, ignorant animals,

March 9, 2013 at 7:23 pm |
    • STFU

KEEP SPINNING YOUR NONSENSE CROOK, YOUR ISLAMIC FUNDAMENTALISTS VIEWS ARE IRRELEVANT, EXCEPT TO FBI AND HOMELAND SECURITY.

March 9, 2013 at 7:37 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

It's true, as far as I know, Hindus weren't involved in the origins of the American Constitution. Islamists in America were mostly slaves, I thought.

March 9, 2013 at 7:37 pm |
    • STFU

TTTOO, I DON'T KNOW HOW IT WAS BACK THEN, BUT THEY DO SEEM TO CROWD PRISONS IN THE US AND AROUND THE WORLD

March 9, 2013 at 7:53 pm |
    • Dippy

SHTU, please turn off your caps lock. It makes you seem very childish. Are you?

March 9, 2013 at 8:03 pm |
    • STFU

Okay Dippy, I had it on for ISLAM.....

March 9, 2013 at 8:05 pm |
    • G to the T

Where do you come from that "Dog" is spelled "D"-"E"-"G"? Kind of casts a bad light on everything else you say (not that it needs any help mind you)...

March 12, 2013 at 1:46 pm |
  10. Read the Bible

"With its live music, free-flowing alcohol, and hook-up culture, SXSW has developed a reputation as being a spring break for nerds. There’s even an app by Qpid.me that lets attendees share medical records to prove their STD-free status."

That is so sad. How will they ever value someone enough to see through the other person's eyes, or hear what they're saying if being with that person is such a meaningless event in their lifetime. Find God first, let Him into your life and then you can experience life to the fullest.

March 9, 2013 at 7:20 pm |
    • JWT

God is fin for you but that is no reason for anyone else to care about your version of a god.

March 9, 2013 at 7:23 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

Check out for drugs and contraband, way of hindu swamis, criminal shamans to spread hinduism, immorality.

March 9, 2013 at 7:25 pm |
    • Check this out

There is an app @ Bible.com/app. It is awesome!
      Give me some wisdom , spare me the illusion and the STD.

March 9, 2013 at 7:25 pm |
    • Brandon Arkell

Why is it sad? They have an app to prevent contraction of STDs. Isn't that a GOOD thing? How is that un-Godly?

March 9, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
    • Read the Bible

The most wonderful person someone could ever meet or spend time with in a lifetime, and that person becomes someone's quick check of an app to see if they're safe for a few minutes before the next one. That is so sad that a person of the highest calibre could be valued so little without a second thought.

March 9, 2013 at 8:12 pm |
  11. Jospeph

Claiming to be wise, they became fools

March 9, 2013 at 7:16 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Believers in god claim far more and with far more certainty than do the atheists. Claiming to be wise, believers are fools.

March 9, 2013 at 7:17 pm |
  12. STFU

ARE YOU JEALOUS OF BIJOY MR. DAR? I GUESS YOU HOPPED FOR GRAND SUCCESS WITH YOUR TRUTH ABSOLUTE 360* SPIN, BUT INSTEAD, YOU GOT YOUR ASS WIPED PRACTICALLY EVERYWHERE, LOL!! I DON'T BLAME YOU IF YOU'RE MAD.

March 9, 2013 at 7:06 pm |
    • Religion is

Superstition!

Turn off your fucking capsloc.

March 9, 2013 at 7:14 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

Only in hindu ignorant wish of a hindu, ignorant from hindered gutter of hindu secular ism, filthy kenjer ism india, I am holding data on visitors to the web site, truthisthelimit.com, rest assured it runs in to many many thousands. Humanity has to know hinduism illegality of hindus criminals to have peace, Islam among them. Only one getting kick on their hind are hindu secular s, filthy kenjers , such as swami, shamans pretending to be noble.

March 9, 2013 at 7:16 pm |
    • STFU

@Religion is Superst ition!, SOUNDS LIKE YOU'RE A SUPERSTI TIOUS RELIGIOUS NUT, F. U.

March 9, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
    • .

SOUNDS LIKE RELIGION IS...EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE, STFU. And turn off your capslock.

March 9, 2013 at 7:50 pm |
    • STFU

@ISLAM, ya right KKK sites have many many thousands hits too Mr Dar, I suggest you post a picture of Mohammad on your site to go viral. How about that Mr Dar?

March 9, 2013 at 8:13 pm |
  13. Robert Brown

“While attending Stanford University, Goswami began studying the history of the Catholic Church, and long held beliefs began to erode.”

They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away. (Luke 8:13)

March 9, 2013 at 6:20 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

After close examination of their belief, and a bit of healthy skepticism, fall away.

March 9, 2013 at 6:28 pm |
    • Robert Brown

The temptation of intellectualism;

And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all things that are done under heaven: this sore travail hath God given to the sons of man to be exercised therewith. I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit. (Ecc. 1:13-14)

March 9, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
    • Andrew

So if it's the "temptation of intellectualism", what you're saying is that virtuous, people tempted by information and knowledge must remain ignorant?

This is why I dislike religion.

March 9, 2013 at 6:45 pm |
    • Robert Brown

Andrew,

This is why intellectualism can be a temptation that leads you astray.

March 9, 2013 at 6:55 pm |
    • Mohammad, A. Dead Subject

only small plants can enchore roots on rocks, no big trees

March 9, 2013 at 6:56 pm |
    • Robert Brown

Regardless of why, if you have fallen away, God is exactly where you left him waiting to take you back and celebrate your return.

And he said, A certain man had two sons: And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living. And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living. And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty famine in that land; and he began to be in want. And he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country; and he sent him into his fields to feed swine. And he would fain have filled his belly with the husks that the swine did eat: and no man gave unto him. And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants. And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him. And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son. But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet: And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry: For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry. (Luke 15:11-24)

March 9, 2013 at 6:56 pm |
    • Religion is

Superstition!

Wow, what a blizzard of bullshit, Bob.

March 9, 2013 at 7:10 pm |
    • Science

Robert do you know that is an emergency service for whern you fall and can't get up ?

Peace

March 9, 2013 at 7:27 pm |
    • counter

If you use the language you have in these posts, then you lose legitimacy. Your posts become null and void. And if "end religion " disregards GOD so much, why are you up here posting?

March 9, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
    • Robert Brown

Religion iS,

Here is why you see it as superst.ition;

Luke 8

5 A sower went out to sow his seed: and as he sowed, some fell by the way side; and it was trodden down, and the fowls of the air devoured it.

11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.

12 Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.

March 9, 2013 at 7:53 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Does this sound like something your God would allow, Robert: "then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved" ?

March 9, 2013 at 7:56 pm |
    • Religion is

Superstition!

And these little parables are enough to make you a believer? Wow.

March 9, 2013 at 8:11 pm |
    • Andrew

"There is nothing at all wrong with learning, until you yield to the flesh (assumed knowledge) over the spirit."

What about yielding to the assumed spirit over knowledge? See for me, knowledge is information which I can verify. I can't verify "the spirit". Therefore, I see no reason why it's "assumed knowledge" any more than an "assumed spirit".

I don't like saying things exist if I can't support that they do. Now my epistemology requires the ability to learn facts about this universe, so my epistemology does allow "assumed knowledge" like the assumption and knowledge of induction. My epistemology does not require a spirit, god, or any sort of creature like that. It's a useless assumption to me.

I don't feel why I should trade the assumption of the spirit for the assumptions that have given me my coherent epistemology. Your religion (in fact, any religion) is philosophically boring to me.

March 9, 2013 at 8:17 pm |
    • Robert Brown

Tom, Tom, the Other One,

And he said unto me, O Daniel, a man greatly beloved, understand the words that I speak unto thee, and stand upright: for unto thee am I now sent. And when he had spoken this word unto me, I stood trembling. Then said he unto me, Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words. But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia. (Daniel 10: 11-13)

There is a lot more going on in the spiritual realm than we realize. It is not his will that any perish, but the devil and his princes fight as hard as they can against God and his angles (princes). It is very important for believers to pray for those who are lost. God can send angels to prevent the devil from taking the word before a person receives it.

Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

March 9, 2013 at 8:23 pm |
    • Robert Brown

Religion is

Super

No, you must be born again. Born of the spirit of God.

March 9, 2013 at 8:26 pm |
    • Robert Brown

Andrew,

You prefer justified belief and I do too. Without personal experiences I wouldn’t believe either. Spirit is spirit, flesh is flesh.

March 9, 2013 at 8:34 pm |
    • Religion is

Superstition!

I think one birth is enough for me.

March 9, 2013 at 8:35 pm |
    • End Religion

counter, I post for entertainment and to keep the snapping dogs of religion in their place. Now, here's a good boy. I saved some dinner scraps for you...

March 10, 2013 at 4:19 am |
  14. HUH!

It's amazing what man will invent just to make himself believe that he doesn't' have to face his true Maker!
    Jesus Christ is the ONLY way. What a person does about Him, on it depends his/her own eternal destiny.

March 9, 2013 at 6:17 pm |
    • End Religion

March 9, 2013 at 6:22 pm |
    • Yes! Yes!

Hallelujah! He is waiting for you Huh!. fvck off and die already. Amen.

March 9, 2013 at 6:24 pm |
  15. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

March 9, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
    • Tia

Prayer is nothing but a way to kill time talking to yourself instead of living your life.

March 9, 2013 at 8:15 pm |
  16. End Religion

For TapDancingTopher and Lie4It:

March 9, 2013 at 5:25 pm |
  17. Stance

atheists are the most liberal when it comes to atheism. They are very astute. They also have a lot of disposable time and can spend long hours on this blog, giving valuable lessons about evolution and science. Science belongs to the atheists only, it can only be taught by atheists.
    If you wanna learn science learn it from an atheist. This is so troo.

March 9, 2013 at 5:08 pm |
    • Jr. Sammy

Atheists like to think of themselves as intellectuals. They fool no one else but themselves. Intelligence is just a mirage for them.

March 9, 2013 at 5:19 pm |
    • midwest rail

It must have been difficult knocking that strawman down so handily.

March 9, 2013 at 5:19 pm |
    • ..

Stance has an OCD problem that keeps him obsessively checking the boards to see who posts when. This is so troo.

March 9, 2013 at 5:23 pm |
    • Mrs. Pepperpot

Oh, look! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's...Sweeping Generalization Man with his trusty sidekick, Jr. Sammy!

March 9, 2013 at 5:37 pm |
    • Fun Fact

The irony of it all is that they believe in evolution . In reality, they might not have the tail but the other characteristics such as the hooting, screaming and grunting are telling 😉

March 9, 2013 at 5:47 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

So does a pig, otherwise known as a secular, self centered, atheist, happy, but always hind filthy in mud of hinduism, filth. way of hindus secular s, filthy self centered to preach their hindu secularism, filthy self center ism in hinduism, illegality.

March 9, 2013 at 5:55 pm |
    • .

Oh! And another sidekick is heard from! Fun Fact Paddlefoot! Sawwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeping generalizations du jour! More pithy comments! Please, please, please?
      Oooga Boooga! God did it!

March 9, 2013 at 6:29 pm |
    • Are Islamic Views Relevant?

Pigs and Islamist are the most big mouthed when it comes to preaching others.

March 9, 2013 at 6:38 pm |
    • Andrew

Wolfgang Pauli and George Lamatre were religious. I'd have gladly had lessons on particle interactions or cosmology from them, despite being religious, because they understood the science far better than the vast majority of humanity.

However, learning the same material from Dirac and Feynman would be pretty awesome, and both of them actually were atheists.

March 9, 2013 at 6:48 pm |
  18. SABoy

Eveyone's religious leanings (or not) are particularly personal. Whatever Bijoy espouses is what he thinks works best for him. I don't think it's so much that he's elevated himself to some mystical leadership as it is the people around him. Whatever they themselves are seeking, they seem to find resonant with his message. It also appears CNN's writer has helped hype Bijoy's version of mysticism.

March 9, 2013 at 5:05 pm |
  19. End Religion

Is Ken Ham's Creationist movement decaying? Yes, atheists, keep up the good work!

March 9, 2013 at 4:42 pm |
    • End Religion

Where will Topher and Lie4It direct their lies once Ham goes out of business?

March 9, 2013 at 5:20 pm |
    • .

They always have the Belief Blog.

March 9, 2013 at 5:34 pm |
  20. Charlie

Tim,

" I do wonder, however, if there actually is a "high place" where the devil could have taken Jesus where he could have seen all the world's empires, spread out over the globe as they are. By the way, have you ever wondered who "witnessed" this interaction between Jesus and the devil? Did anybody, or did they just take Jesus' word on it?" See Tim this question that you are asking is about faith and yes there is someone who saw the whole thing but then again that would require faith. You seem to be totally about facts which is not bad however, If I ask you if you came from a monkey, you might say yes. Do you have proof of it? NO. How about the big bang? You can THEORISE about it all day long but you can never prove it. Faith works the same way. You can think of it's impossibility all day and yet it's true if you believe. What even more suprising to me is that even 2000 years later, He still makes miracles. I can give you a ton of FACTS about Him but you won't believe. And that's faith... it's transcends your reality.

March 9, 2013 at 4:25 pm |
    • End Religion

It doesn't transcend anything. Your god is imaginary, and we disregard it as such in an instant without any further thought.

March 9, 2013 at 4:44 pm |
    • Akira

Why would Tim say he was evolved from a monkey? That's patently untrue. Humans have a common APE ancestor.

March 9, 2013 at 4:45 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

How can you know facts that transcend reality, Charlie? Do you transcend reality? What are some of those facts?

March 9, 2013 at 5:00 pm |
    • Austin

Don't forget to eat and drink plenty of water.

March 9, 2013 at 5:06 pm |