home
RSS
Cardinal Dolan charms worshippers at Rome Mass
Cardinal Timothy Dolan waves to supporters after celebrating Mass at this titular church in Rome.
March 10th, 2013

Cardinal Dolan charms worshippers at Rome Mass

By Chris Cuomo and Eric Marrapodi, CNN
[twitter-follow screen_name='ChrisCuomo'] [twitter-follow screen_name='EricCNNBelief']

Rome (CNN) - Crowds lined the walls and spilled out the front door of the Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe on Monte Mario on Sunday to catch a glimpse of the gregarious American Cardinal Timothy Dolan, archbishop of New York, who smiled broadly as he came into the church, stopping to wave to photographers and kiss a baby whose parents were holding him up.

Dolan has made the short lists of some Vatican watchers as a likely choice to be elected as the next pope by the College of Cardinals, a designation called "papabili" in Italian.

A local officiant began the service by saying it was great to have Dolan at the church close to Easter.

"All these people are showing the power of the church," he said.

Dolan thanked the officiant in Italian.

"Thank you for the kind words. This is a big task. Truly a blessing to be with you. Now let's get to why we're here - to pray."

He led the congregants of his titular church in a prayer of contrition. A titular church is the house of worship in Rome assigned to a cardinal when he gets his red hat. It's by virtue of technically being a priest of Rome that a cardinal gets to vote for the Bishop of Rome - the pope.

The Mass proceeded in Italian.

In his homily, Dolan said he was "full of joy to be here at my titular church" and that he always feels "at home here."

"After St. Patrick's Church - here's a secret - this is my favorite," Dolan said, drawing applause from worshippers. "Don't tell the people of New York, OK?"

He spoke briefly about the reason the world's cardinals have descended on Rome, the conclave, which he called a "system of prayer - and it's also a joy for the cardinals to pick a pope."

"Thank you for being here," he said. "I'm not going to say too much. Just thanks for being here with me. "

After the service, reporters were hustled into an alley, then led to a courtyard in the rectory next to the church.

Dolan fielded a bevy of questions from reporters on the cardinals' thinking heading into the conclave and speculation he may be the one to emerge as the next supreme pontiff for the Catholic Church.  He laughed off many of the questions and said the cardinals were ready for their time of prayer and discernment.

Dolan said not only was he ready for the conclave to begin but he also  added, "I'm ready to go home - I’ve run out of socks."

When asked what type of socks he needed, he said he needed green socks for St. Patrick's Day, because he already had plenty of red in his cardinal wardrobe.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Bishops • Catholic Church • Italy • Mass • Pope • Vatican

1. Answerman

"That a handful of men conspired to devise such lofty ethics and such a lofty personality as that of Jesus Christ would be a greater miracle than any described in the bibe." -Will Durant, respected and well-kown historian.

March 11, 2013 at 4:07 pm |
    • Chuckles

Do you agree with this quote? If so, why?

We've seen the power of the human imagination. J R R Tolkien was able to create an entire world and fill it with new species, lands, languages, et al, so why do you think it would be tough for a group to come up with someone like Jesus? Where exactly is the challenge?

March 11, 2013 at 4:12 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

an opinion from one man does not bear any evidence. Do you have some evidence of this god of yours?

Do you believe in Zeus? If not, why not?

March 11, 2013 at 4:13 pm |
    • Chuckles

@Richard Cranium

Not that I agree with the reasoning, asking a believer why they don't believe in any other god is a pointless endeavor. The clauses in most religions pretty much spell out that one specific god is more real than everyone elses. You and I can both look at the god of the bible and zeus and see little difference, but to a believer, their god is mutually exclusive to all other gods.

Expecitng a believer to be able to logically spell out why they don't believe in other gods even though they illogically believe in their own is, sadly, useless.

March 11, 2013 at 4:18 pm |

Chuckles
      There is a major difference between a Living God as Saul of Tarsus made clear to the Greeks at the Temple of Zeus and manmade gods. Zeus as you note is of human form and created from the ideas and things of the creation itself. God is not of matter or substance that man can identify, measure or know because man and his science is limited to the observation and testing of created things using created tools made from baryonic matter.
      A living God is with His people and flows through His people in their very being. Over the past 6,000+ years God has revealed Himself through His creation (includes Chosen Ones) as they could comprehend that which could not be seen without faith. Zeus has come and gone while God always was and always will be. I understand you claim we do not know that but, all evidence since the first Hebrew is that God is.

March 11, 2013 at 4:33 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

it's likely jesus never lived. his myth is very similar to many other gods that came before him, osirus, dionysus, mitra, etc., so he was most likely plagiarized from other mythologies/religions. but if he did exist, he was just a crazy cult leader like david koresh or any other.

and you say jesus has lofty ethics?

Mathew 15:21-28
      21 Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon.
      22 A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is demon-possessed and suffering terribly.”
      23 Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, “Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us.”
      24 He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.”
      25 The woman came and knelt before him. “Lord, help me!” she said.
      26 He replied, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.”
      27 “Yes it is, Lord,” she said. “Even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master’s table.”
      28 Then Jesus said to her, “Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted.” And her daughter was healed at that moment.

hmmm... jesus doesn't seem so compa.ssionate in this story. making a woman, who's daughter only he can help, call her entire race "dogs" before you will help is disgusting and inhumane. but of course once jesus hears the woman call herself a dog ready begging for scraps, he cures the little girl and tells the woman she is worthy. seems pretty cruel to me and the opposite of good ethics.

jesus also supports slavery, tells slaves to obey their masters if they want any chance of getting into heaven. also not very ethical. jesus says some great things about love - but then all cult leaders do, don't they? david koresh did. conclusion? jesus = david koresh

March 11, 2013 at 4:33 pm |
    • Chuckles

@Fred

Like I was pointing out to Richard, your rejection of other gods isn't logical and expecting it to be is useless. Your answer to why rejecting other gods, just like everything else is, "cause god".

March 11, 2013 at 4:38 pm |
    • Honey Badger Dont Care

Argument from authority. FAIL!

March 11, 2013 at 4:43 pm |

Chuckles
      I seriously do not believe you see the substance of God to be anything like Zeus.
      I also would think you agree that God remains the living God that remains with His people to this day as promised. The answer to that question does not depend on your belief in the existence of God only the simple observation of how God is glorified through your own family to this day.

March 11, 2013 at 4:46 pm |
    • End Religion

fred, did you know FSM's Chosen People are midgets? We used to be shorter a long time ago when there were less humans around because the FSM presses down on everything with His Noodly Appendages (there is no gravity, only Noodles holding things down). But with the population so large now He is not able to press on each human as much, so we grow taller. Ah, to be a midget and be under the special Love of the Spaghedeity!

March 11, 2013 at 4:46 pm |
    • I Paint Houses

Harry Potter is a far more interesting and ethical character.

March 11, 2013 at 4:50 pm |
    • Chuckles

@Fred

You'd be wrong. Zeus and the god of the bible have a lot in common, including their existences (or lack thereof). Throughout the entire time we've traded posts, what makes you think I think there's such thing as your "living god" and that he's anymore real than the other gods out there?

March 11, 2013 at 4:57 pm |
    • ME II

" Zeus as you note is of human form and created from the ideas and things of the creation itself. God is not of matter or substance that man can identify, measure or know because man and his science is limited to the observation and testing of created things using created tools made from baryonic matter."

Interesting that throughout human history god(s) keep(s) moving just out of reach.

March 11, 2013 at 5:11 pm |

Chuckles
      On a personal note it was only because I had an initial experience with God that I believed and a could see a reality that did not exist before my conversion. The physical world itself did not change which is why you still do not see God, miracles, etc. and account for what I see in terms of that which can be measurable.

An example would be when I pray for healing or a job for an individual they receive the Job God had in mind for them and for another the cancer is suddenly absent. You rely upon the measuring stick of man (science etc) which is limited to say such things happen with regularity and is unknown or the physical works of man. I say it was the result of a living God. Once again you apply your yardstick and say there are no lines on this stick to account for that so it did not happen.

I now proceed through life with God. I talk, act and most of the time filter my thoughts and actions through standards God has set. God is alive through my thoughts and actions. God effects and affects the creation around me through my thought and actions which are radically different than before. Saul of Tarsus took it to an extreme and set the Judeo Christian World View on a 2,000 year course.

Is this any different than Obama who claims Abraham Lincoln sometimes lives through him? Is it any different than a person who has been imprinted by say a dad or a mom. The deceased is of a different form yet the image and actions may still be alive and well in the child. At a minimum God is alive in this context.
      The glory of God is revealed through His creation. When the last soul that can be saved is saved God will pull the plug and the glory of God can no longer be revealed through His creation. As long as there is a little light or revelation of God that shines from say your family that hope and promise are moved forward to the next generation. We are not aware of a time as humans when faith was not alive and moved forward through the creation. Even Neanderthal knew enough to prepare for the afterlife.
      That is God who has been there since the beginning.

March 11, 2013 at 5:34 pm |
    • Richard

"I now proceed through life with God. I talk, act and most of the time filter my thoughts and actions through standards God has set. God is alive through my thoughts and actions. God effects and affects the creation around me through my thought and actions which are radically different than before."

Nope, that is you applying your concept to random things in your life to convince you that what you believe is correct, that's being delusional. There are many people that have the exact same type of experiences but no definition of a god is applied to it. That is not proof of a god, it's just your wishful thinking and ego projecting itself onto to what you see. Based on how often you post here, I would say you reek of arrogance and ego.

March 11, 2013 at 5:41 pm |
    • Chuckles

@Fred

1. I call shennanigans on your "personal experience". Mostly because if you really want to travel to another dimension it's going to take more power than just "faith"

2. When has cancer just simply vanished? If you were to show me a real patient that got diagnosed with cancer and then, a day later went back in and was completely cured without any treatement, that would be one thing. Same thing goes for the job thing. It would be more impressive if you prayed for a job for another person and they got the specific one you were thikning about AND that person didn't even apply. If neither of these things have happened, which of course they didn't, then my "yardstick" is nothing more than me calling it like I see it and you searching for greater meaning that isn't actually there.

"God is alive through my thoughts and actions."
      –Now god needs people to live? Doesn't seem so crazy powerful then huh?

"Is this any different than Obama who claims Abraham Lincoln sometimes lives through him?"
      –Yes, yes it is. The examples you've given so far is people honoring the memory and ideas of specific people. You, however, are saying that your god is living through you literally. There's a big difference between figuratively and literally,

"Even Neanderthal knew enough to prepare for the afterlife"
      –uh.... what?! Are you saying that burial after death is somehow preparation for the afterlife? Fred, this is an incredibly outlandish statement. Take it back, seriously.

March 11, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
    • Billy

I actually have had a conversion experience of my own. My god first spoke to me about a year ago. I heard his voice as clear as day. He said he wanted only good things for this world, but that he didn't want anyone to worhip him. He said he was in all things in nature. So I know in my heart that the God of Abraham and Isaac is a false god. My god (he has no name) told me this. I didn't really want to discuss this here, especially since my god wants people to just be nice and not worship anyone, but it seemed like it made sense for this conversation.

March 11, 2013 at 5:48 pm |

Chuckles
      Ok, we found some stuff buried with children’s remains of the Neanderthal and yes I take it back since we really don’t know why they did it.
      “I call shennanigans on…. travel to another dimension”
      =>another dimension would not be the right words except in the Twilight Zone as I was referring to a transformation that is internal and faith based. Perspective is radically altered where “God did it” is just as real as the tools you use to evaluate and measure reality.
      “When has cancer just simply vanished?”
      =>only once and the rest were with medical treatments.
      =>you are correct in that when my faith is running low I fall into the pit and wonder if “ we are just searching for greater meaning that isn’t actually there”

“–Now god needs people to live? Doesn't seem so crazy powerful then huh?”
      =>I agree and have no clue why God chooses to use ordinary people with typical faults and call them heroes of the Bible (with a few exceptions).

“You, however, are saying that your god is living through you literally. There's a big difference between figuratively and literally”

March 11, 2013 at 6:28 pm |
    • OhPlease!

"God does this through the Holy Spirit. How would a non believer be able to tell the difference between the Spirit of God in a person and the Spirit of the person?"

Oh give me a break, from what we've seen from so many Christians so far, then your god is one big azzhole! If your god is using Christians to show the holy-spirit then it is the most intolerant, egotistical jerk on the planet. By the way you're a great example of it.

March 11, 2013 at 6:34 pm |
    • Chuckles

@Fred

If it's an internal change, then it's just as real as when I decided to stop being jewish. There was no physical transformation, nor was there any outside force, it's just a change of perspective. It might be real to you, but that in no way validates it.

"=>only once and the rest were with medical treatments."

Pointing out that things happen because you asked for them too doesn't mean there was an external force that helped moved those events along. What about all the times you've prayed for something and it didn't work out? Where was god then?

"=>God does this through the Holy Spirit. How would a non believer be able to tell the difference between the Spirit of God in a person and the Spirit of the person?"
      –Simple, since neither exist the question is moot.

March 11, 2013 at 6:40 pm |

Chuckles
      “ then it's just as real as when I decided to stop being jewish.’
      =>did you sense; the reality of soul or Gods presence before your loss of faith?
      =>I go through times when God does not seem to be present and I think I have stopped believing. It all seems like nonsense in those times but then the presence returns. I see it more like a sixth sense.

“–Only once what? Completely cured without any medcine?? Is this recorded and is there an explanation as to why this cure occured? “
      =>inoperable breast cancer not subject to medical treatment. The breasts actually returned to normal size without medication. At that time, following the miracle, doctors wanted to perform a radical mastectomy to avoid re occurrence. Patient said no. The explanation from the doctors was that it just happens on rare occasions for unknown reasons. Those of us who prayed with her knew it was God. It is not recorded other than in remission patient refused recommended treatment.

“What about all the times you've prayed for something and it didn't work out? Where was god then?
      =>Seldom happens. Problem is I note people (including myself) often limit prayers to what we think God will answer. If you came to me without legs I would not pray that they grow back. I already have a canned answer for that problem which has created a mental block (faith block) that I cannot seem to get around.
      Now, when someone prays for the safety of their kids and the child dies or suffers irreparable harm I have noticed my faith is very weak while theirs grows stronger. That part I have not figured out.

March 11, 2013 at 7:28 pm |

OhPlease!
      Yes, Jesus said I am the way and light. That is exclusive for those who can hear it and see the truth as revealed. This does not give Christians the right to look down on anyone when their own faith says we are to love and serve others. Looking down on others is a sin and not of God.

March 11, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
    • Phillip

"inoperable breast cancer not subject to medical treatment. The breasts actually returned to normal size without medication. At that time, following the miracle, doctors wanted to perform a radical mastectomy to avoid re occurrence. Patient said no. The explanation from the doctors was that it just happens on rare occasions for unknown reasons. Those of us who prayed with her knew it was God. It is not recorded other than in remission patient refused recommended treatment."

If this was really true, it would have been recorded in the medical journals. I have a friend that was diagnosed with lung cancer no prayers were given and she was cured, no drugs, just eating right and believing in herself, she is an atheist and so is her husband. They did record it but it's not published yet. Things like this happen all over the world in all walks of life, scientists haven't figure it out yet but they are leaning more towards the brain and our emotions. It's like the documented case of the woman who laughed herself well, because laughter is the best medicine. Our emotions play a huge part in our overall wellbeing and since they have proven how those emotions affect water that would make sense on how if we believe in ourselves we can overcome great medical difficulties. That is a huge part in overall healing. What's unfortunate is that Christianity is getting in the way. Just look at how Christians on these boards use fear and condemnation towards others.

March 11, 2013 at 7:38 pm |
    • Terry

"Yes, Jesus said I am the way and light."

No Mithra said that, he is the truth and the light!

March 11, 2013 at 7:39 pm |

Billy
      Worship is something that comes out of a heart that overflows with joy. The object of that worship is typically the real or perceived cause of that Joy. If it was God ask with a sincere heart what you should do now that you have had that experience. It is God who can be trusted.

March 11, 2013 at 7:51 pm |
    • My Dog is a jealous Dog

@Phillip

" and since they have proven how those emotions affect water"

Are you telling me that there is "proof" that emotions affect water? I do agree that emotions will affect the body, but this sounds a lot like homeopathy to me.
      Don't give up so easily on rationality.
      Water does not have "memory" or any other supernatural properties.

March 11, 2013 at 7:51 pm |

Phillip
      Yes, we do set a bad example and have set a bad example as Christians. The doctor was not impressed with prayer and was far more confident in a radical followup treatment. But, you are correct we cannot prove it was God or someother cause for the recovery.

March 11, 2013 at 7:57 pm |
    • Phllip

March 11, 2013 at 7:58 pm |
    • My Dog is a jealous Dog

Thats not an experiment, it is a slide show. My girlfriend is a French model, I met her on the internet.

March 11, 2013 at 8:22 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

Looks like fred the coward is still using the same bullshit. How sad it must be to be a coward, and have no evidence for your beliefs.

March 11, 2013 at 8:32 pm |

hawaiiguest
      God says without faith one cannot please God. If I demand evidence that would conflict with Gods plan. You are the one who is without evidence as I have my faith, personal experience with God and peace knowing that God is in control and I am not.

March 11, 2013 at 8:40 pm |
    • Answer

What the tard, fred, wants to say is this... "please let me explain to you that my god is your god."

"If I can plea with you that my god is indeed really your god then my case is that my god does exist. So I'll go on saying my god is your god. Until you can no longer stand that fact that there are no other gods because I'm telling you that "only my god is there."

This is the core of the inane that is, fred.

March 11, 2013 at 8:46 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@fred

Faith is not evidence, especially as you have yet to demonstrate any difference in your faith and the faith of a Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, or even the other 30,000+ denominations of Christianity you don't adhere to. All you do is either post irrelevant crap to move away from that subject, or you run like a coward. So which will you do this time?

March 11, 2013 at 8:47 pm |
    • Answer

I can speculate that fred will run away.

===His reply will not be exactly like this:

"I gotta run now."

March 11, 2013 at 8:58 pm |

hawaiiguest
      I did not say that what is evidence for me is evidence for you. My faith is my evidence because it is by that faith I can see the hand of God and find joy in God alone.
      The evidence you demand would never change your heart for long. Should God decide to give you evidence your heart will be instantly transformed (i.e. it will be ready to see what God has already given you and has been there all along.)

March 11, 2013 at 8:58 pm |

answer
      There can only be one God based on the revelations about God. The reason you think a god is any god is that you underestimate the eternal nature of God and the power of God.
      Now, I gotta run

March 11, 2013 at 9:00 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Answer

Fred seems to have gone with #1. Irrelevant crap. I wonder how long he'll continue to post irrelevant crap before he runs away. Such pathetic predictability.

March 11, 2013 at 9:19 pm |
    • Answer

I knew fred would run. 😀

March 11, 2013 at 10:13 pm |
  2. Answerman

@Richard..."In the beginning God created heaven and earth" is the fist verse found in God's word. AFTER the universe was created, Moses then describes "6 days" God spent preparing the earth to be inhabited by mankind. Get a clue, Cranium. 🙂

March 11, 2013 at 4:03 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

And exactly where does it say that gods days are longer than mans?

Answer...it never does...just another lie from those who think the bible is pertains to reality. It does not.

If you had a clue, you would not believe in the bible.

March 11, 2013 at 4:06 pm |
    • SPA Knight

Richard, watch the Genesis Code or read the writings of Fr. Spitzer.

March 11, 2013 at 4:17 pm |
    • ME II

@Answerman,
      I'm sorry, but the earth was not created at the beginning of the universe; it was around 9 billion years later.

March 11, 2013 at 5:06 pm |
  3. Honey Badger Dont Care

What!?!?!!?!

Dolan showed his charms to a worshiper? Those crazy cardinals.

March 11, 2013 at 4:03 pm |
  4. Answerman

While scientists were teaching the world was flat...even greek scientists teaching the earth was a hemisphere riding through space on the backs of 4 giant elephants on top of a giant turtle...the bible simply proclaimed "The earth is a circle hanging upon nothing."
    Those who discount God's word have confused the bible with what today's religous leaders teach and are guilty of having contempt for God's word without investigating it for themselves.

March 11, 2013 at 3:58 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

All moot points as the bible is a fictional work of men...no gods invloved in its making (even if those who wrote it thought there was)

March 11, 2013 at 4:04 pm |
    • End Religion

"circle of the earth" explanation
      Note the web site is Christian Resource Institute, so not just "some atheist link". I haven't researched this but the site seemed to have a good grasp on it.

March 11, 2013 at 4:16 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

hahaha. the bible says the earth is flat, held up by 4 pillars. the bible says there was light before a sun. the bible says there are unicorns and satyrs. the bible says donkeys and snakes can talk. and you're trying to say science is wrong? lol!

March 11, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
    • ME II

... and yet the Earth is not a circle, go figure.

March 11, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
    • Tommy

The Earth is a sphere, not a circle. A circle is flat by the way.

March 12, 2013 at 11:24 am |
  5. Answerman

In reality, science and the bible agree on how old the universe mught be.
    Though our religious leaders teach God made everything in a few literal days, the bible simply doesn't teach this lie. AFTER God created the heavens and the earth, God spent of few of HIS SIZE days preparing the earth to be inhabited ny man is all God's word says on this matter.
    Just as Jesus and his apostles warned would happen, the Christian church has been taken-over by men who are like "wolves dressed in sheep's clothing"...spreading lies about God and his son Jesus Christ to a dummed-down flock totally ignorant of God's word...even medicated peoples just too darned lazy to study the bible for themselves.

March 11, 2013 at 3:52 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

Answerman?
      Where exactly did you come up with that info.

No where in the bible does it say anything along those lines. That is just a lie that religious folks say to try to get their fictional book to line up with reality.

March 11, 2013 at 3:57 pm |
    • fred

Science and the bible do not agree on how old the universe might be as the Bible does not specify a time certain whereas science is very impressed with its estimates that constantly change. Man is very impressed with self and the more impressed with self a man is the less impressed he is with the things of God. At the extreme the atheist claims a better understanding of creation than Jesus himself.
      Religious leaders are all over the place just as science is. Both continue to change their opinion while the truth remains absolute.
      Jesus is always right so you are correct when he said there will be corrupt churches and leaders.

March 11, 2013 at 4:17 pm |
    • fredCorrector

fred: "Man is very impressed with self and the more impressed with self a man is the less impressed he is with the things of God."

That needs a touch-up. It should be:

"Man is very impressed with self, and for some men they are especially impressed with what they have been able to imagine as something greater than themselves – something other-worldly."

There, that's better.

March 11, 2013 at 4:23 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

fred
      You are more impressed with the work of man called the bible...a collection of myths and fictional stories.
      I am more impressed with men who find the answers rather than just make styff up like the bibles writers

You study the work of men called the bible, I will study the sciences as they are the search for reality.

March 11, 2013 at 4:23 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@fred

Your inability to actually think anything through objectively is why people don't take you seriously.

March 11, 2013 at 4:25 pm |

Richard
      Hawaiguest
      Sorry, but exactly where are my statements not true?

March 11, 2013 at 4:38 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@fred

You have yet to demonstrate that any assertion you've ever made is correct. All you ever do is reassert that you're right because you say so.

March 11, 2013 at 4:57 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

Fred
      Your statements are not true when you refer to the bible as truth, or jesus as truth, etc.
      You haven't got a shred of evidence that says there is any truth to the fictional stories in the bible.
      Get over it fred. Join us in reality, or sell your computer and anything else you do not absolutley need, just as your bible tells you to.

March 11, 2013 at 5:13 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

And, as usual, once fred's tactics are pointed out, he runs like the coward he is.

March 11, 2013 at 5:42 pm |

Richard
      It does not matter if the Bible or Jesus can be proven factual or not. Show me where my statements are not true regardless of evidence for or against God. In other words. when I say what Answerman says agrees with Jesus that has nothing to do with the reality of what Jesus said only that Ansermans statement is in line with what was said.

March 11, 2013 at 5:46 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@fred

And yet, you said nothing of the sort. You merely said that answerman was actually wrong, then went on to post some irrelevant stuff, ending with your mere assertion that Jesus is always right.

March 11, 2013 at 5:50 pm |
    • Emerald

"nothing to do with the reality of what Jesus said only that Ansermans statement is in line with what was said."

You don't know exactly what was said or happened. We have better communication systems now and people still get the facts and stories wrong. Everyone knows the story about Jesus and the woman about to be stoned by the mob. This account is only found in John 7:53-8:12. The mob asked Jesus whether they should stone the woman (the punishment required by the Old Testament) or show her mercy. Jesus doesn’t fall for this trap. Jesus allegedly states, let the one who is without sin among you be the first to cast a stone at her. The crowd dissipates out of shame. That story was not originally in the Gospel of John or in any of the Gospels. It was added by later scribes. The story is not found in the oldest and best manuscripts of the Gospel of John. Nor does its writing style comport with the rest of John. Most serious textual critics state that this story should not be considered part of the Bible.

March 11, 2013 at 5:52 pm |
  6. Answerman

...and really, how hard could it be to "charm" people who already fell for the burning helffire wolf god that created everything in a few days? A mere toad could charm brain dead people such as those.

March 11, 2013 at 3:43 pm |
  7. Answerman

The answer is 'No', the RCC is not a a branch of NAMBLA. At least not officially.

March 11, 2013 at 3:40 pm |
  8. Bootyfunk

isn't the Catholic Church just a branch of NAMBLA.

March 11, 2013 at 3:34 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

you have it backwards
      NAMBLA is a branch of the RCC.

March 11, 2013 at 4:00 pm |
    • ME II

Fist, it would need to be RoMBLA or WoMBLA.
      Second, that just silly.

March 11, 2013 at 5:30 pm |
  9. Your god is just a myth

We got a couple of real creepy holy rollers on this blog..

March 11, 2013 at 2:10 pm |
    • Esquire

Yes, because BootyFunk's fantasy that Dolan charms the pants off of choir boys (just below) is the opposite of creepy?

March 11, 2013 at 2:55 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

if you got "fantasy' out of that jibe, it tells me you wouldn't be one to leave alone with children either.

March 11, 2013 at 3:27 pm |
    • Esquire

O.k., we'll use opinion instead of fantasy...not much difference. Nice come back by the way...that took a lot of thought I'm sure.

March 11, 2013 at 3:57 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

as much thought as your 'witty' post to begin with. if you think 'opinion' and 'fantasy' are synonyms, you should should see a psychologist.

i guess you haven't heard about the catholic church covering up child molestations. see, that was my point. i generally don't have to spell out the sarcasm to people with an IQ over 75, but there ya go, Esquire.

March 11, 2013 at 4:28 pm |
  10. ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

Austin, Hello !!! are your there? I have only ten minutes, get back to me with questions

March 11, 2013 at 1:49 pm |
  11. ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

Austin, Hello !!! are your there, read my previous post close
    No, he was not, as none of them were, but created being like any one else, Every human is related through Adam and Eve, but individual by his essence, spirit.

March 11, 2013 at 1:48 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

adam and eve are fict.itious characters in a fict.itious book. adam and eve had children. how were more children conceived? did adam have s.ex with his daughters? or did eve have s.ex with her sons? or was it sibling on sibling s.ex? the bible says we are all products of incest. and again with Noah's family. only family left alive, only humans on earth - so i guess they had some good 'ol incestuous s.ex to repopulate the earth. as did every animal on earth, since there were only 2 of them taken on the ark. so all animals are products of incest, too.

the bible is a delightful book. lol.

March 11, 2013 at 1:59 pm |
    • STFU

STFU MOHAMMAD, PAKISTANI DUCK SUCKER! SISTER TOUCHER!

March 11, 2013 at 2:34 pm |
  12. Bootyfunk

i bet this guy just charms the pants off the choir boys.

March 11, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
  13. Science

The generated ghost may now go poof...... the magic dragon says so.

Engineering 'Ghost' Objects: Breakthrough in Scattering Illusion

Feb. 19, 2013 — A team at the NUS Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering led by Dr Qiu Cheng-Wei has come out with an optical device to "engineer" ghosts.

Peace

March 11, 2013 at 10:04 am |
  14. Abhay Charanaravinda Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

Wow,"Reality".I didn't think I was a particularly slow person,but reading your endlessly recycled post just now,it dawned on me:atheists are just boring! You trot the same trite,unimaginative pseudo-arguments,you certainly have zero understanding of the nature of true faith in transcendant issues(your finite minds are too small to grasp them),and for some sadly absurd reason you actually think mockery,ridicule,and scorn is somehow effective in advancing your agenda! Wow!Talk about living in a fairy tale! Now,I won't presume to speak for other faiths,traditions,et.al.,but I want to make it clear from a Christian perspective:As long as JESUS IS LORD of our lives,there will ALWAYS be believers.ALWAYS!! So...give it a rest;its no wonder we rarely attempt to engage in dialogue with those of your ilk,at least on posts like CNN's"Belief Blog";since YOU already have the answers you want to believe,seriously,what would be the point?(That goes for you too"End Religion"!)-It's like attempting to talk to donkeys!! I've asked before and I'll ask again,as futile as I expect my query is:Why ARE atheists,agnostics,skeptics,haters,etc.on a BELIEF BLOG?? Don't you have a "unbelief blog"-No? PEACE & LOVE IN CHRIST!

she is not only dim-witted, off her anti-psychotics, she's dangerous. she sincerely believes she's mrs. god on an urgent mission to prove her divinity

March 11, 2013 at 9:21 am |
    • hawkeye

Any proof of said god?
      Didn't think so.
      No proof, no point.

March 11, 2013 at 9:52 am |
    • meifumado

Atheists boring?

March 11, 2013 at 1:24 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

you have as much proof of god as you do the tooth fairy. christianity is a religious cult, like any other. if jesus did exist, and there's no good proof he did, he was just a crazy cult leader, no different than david koresh.

try thinking for yourself - you won't be sorry.

March 11, 2013 at 1:47 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

it's the BELIEF BLOG – whether you have any or not, it's where all religious and non-belief articles go. you cry about atheists posting on religious stories - but when there's an atheist story in the BELIEF blog, do you cry about christians posting? no, of course not, you hypocrite. i know, you would rather this be called the "PRO-Christianity Belief Blog", that way you would never have to hear an opinion different from your own. atheists are boring? hahaha. we come up with the same arguments? hahaha. you've been pitching your silly sky-fairy for 2K years - maybe you should come up with something different.

March 11, 2013 at 2:03 pm |
  15. Invisible Power Daddy

Feed me, sinners!

March 11, 2013 at 9:21 am |
    • Saraswati

LOL- OK, maybe it's not too far off.

March 11, 2013 at 9:23 am |
  16. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

I am trying to figure out why his "purple" Lenten vestments looked pink? Was he going for a certain vote from among his fellow collegians?

March 11, 2013 at 8:52 am |
    • End Religion

fuchsia is all the rage, don't ya know....

March 11, 2013 at 8:57 am |
  17. Reality

Such a waste of time and money!!! And you ask why? Read on:

Only for the new members of this blog: (i.e. use your scroll bar )

Putting the kibosh on all religion in less than ten seconds: Priceless !!!

• There was no Easter i.e. Christianity completely fails as a religion.

• There was no Moroni i.e. Mormonism is nothing more than a business cult.

Added details available upon written request.

e.g. Taoism

March 11, 2013 at 8:20 am |
    • A Conversation

Friend: Hey Reality, what’s going on
      Reality: Not much, just cutting and pasting into the belief blog again
      Friend: Huh?
      Reality: Yeah, I get on the CNN belief blog and I cut and paste a comment that into the reader’s comments. I have about 5 or 6 that I recycle.
      Friend: How long you been doing this?
      Reality: Long time now.
      Friend: And you cut and paste the same comments over and over and over?
      Reality: That’s right.
      Friend: Have you ever thought of doing something new?
      Reality: I’m not following you.
      Friend: You know, maybe post a new comment?
      Reality: Still not following you.
      Friend: You know, come up with an original though, something relevant and maybe related to the article you’re commenting upon?
      Reality: I have no idea where you’re going with this.
      Friend: Don’t you have anything fresh to say...maybe something creative?
      Reality: I’m utterly lost...are you speaking English?
      Friend: Don’t you get bored with posting the same thing over and over?
      Reality: Wait. What?

March 11, 2013 at 11:50 am |
    • midwest rail

@ A Conversation – Well done !

March 11, 2013 at 11:54 am |
    • In Santa we trust

Conversation, Do you login so infrequently that you miss fred, Chad, Truth be Told, Live4Him etc. starting threads with a c&p of the same post and c&p of the same responses? Or do you find them acceptable because they support your baseless delusion?

March 11, 2013 at 6:14 pm |
    • Reality

As good students, you have read the reiterations of the "fems" (flaws, errors, muck and stench) of religion. Therefore the seeds have been planted in rich soil. Go therefore and preach the truth to all nations, reiterating as you go amongst the lost, bred, born and brainwashed souls of Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism as Rational Thinking makes its triumphant return all because of you!!!!

And one more time, there is always the scroll bar !!!

March 11, 2013 at 7:00 pm |
    • A Conversation

Santa...no, I don't miss their posts...Reality has just been at it much longer than they.

Reality...there you go! Good boy! You get a treat!

March 12, 2013 at 11:27 am |
  18. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things.

March 11, 2013 at 7:08 am |
    • Jesus

March 11, 2013 at 8:42 am |
    • Really?

"Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things"

That's why the data, has shown that atheists have happier and healthier lives than conservative Christians. Your post is built on a lie!

March 11, 2013 at 8:44 am |