home
RSS
Humble pope has complicated past
Argentinian Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio draws the cross on the forehead of a parishioner on Ash Wednesday in Buenos Aires.
March 15th, 2013

Humble pope has complicated past

(CNN) - Pope Francis is being painted as a humble and simple man, but his past is tinged with controversy surrounding topics as sensitive as gay marriage and political atrocities.

Questions linger about Francis' actions during the nation's dark days: the so-called Dirty War, when Argentina was ruled by dictators. The gay marriage issue came to the forefront during Francis' political fight with Argentina's president.

The conservative pontiff may hold firm on some issues, experts say, but he may be flexible on others.

"If you think that (Francis) isn't going to change anything, you're wrong," said Gustavo Girard, a retired doctor who knew Francis during his early years in the priesthood. "But is he going to approve of gay marriage tomorrow? No."

FULL STORY
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Argentina • Catholic Church • Pope • Pope Francis • Vatican

1. Answer

How could your god prove himself to a non-believer?

>>>Simple. Take you religious cretins off the face of this planet. Alive.

Can't do it? What do you mean? –Where's the power then?

It's not in his 'plans'? –How the fvck do you know the 'plan'? Is god not willing? You know once again about your god's will?

What other simple method would suffice? I just asked it.

=====
    *Remember you religious freaks – "YOU CAN SPEAK YOUR SALVATION or YOUR FUTURE."

March 15, 2013 at 11:55 pm |
    • lol??

You always speak in circles, like the snake eating his own tail??

"2Th 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:"

March 16, 2013 at 6:28 am |
    • Science

Hey lol?? the big fake......... the talking snake.?

The origin story is what it is a fairy story.

Peace

March 16, 2013 at 7:59 am |
    • lol??

It is interesting Satan chose a serpent with built-in sparklies to deceive the woeman. It reminded him of his youthful exuberance for reflection. Diamonds are a girl's best friend I've been told. They are mesmerizing.

March 16, 2013 at 8:07 am |
  2. God of the Gaps

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HooeZrC76s0&w=640&h=360]

March 15, 2013 at 10:41 pm |
    • clarity

OK – this is the second video in two days I've watched of this man. Excellent. I need to find more stuff by him asap.

March 15, 2013 at 10:54 pm |
    • End Religion

go to youtube, search "neil de grasse tyson senate science"
      Watch him plead with our leaders (the people who are supposed to be looking out for our welfare) on behalf of NASA and Science education. While this Senate testimony isn't as "fun" as some other videos, it is nice to see someone going to bat for science in such a wonderful way.

March 15, 2013 at 11:07 pm |
    • clarity

thanks, End

March 15, 2013 at 11:15 pm |
    • lol??

There were caves in the garden?? That's quite an assumption. Any proof, Batboy and Batrobin??

March 16, 2013 at 6:36 am |
    • lol??

The older man gets with science pushin' back
      The more the serpent has to escalate the attack
      This make the end times ever more clear
      Much more closer and very very near

March 16, 2013 at 7:48 am |
    • holy hallucinations 37

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z890j0VB0wQ&w=640&h=360]

March 16, 2013 at 8:14 am |
  3. Modern-day Stone Age Shaman Has Skeletons in Closet

it

March 15, 2013 at 9:12 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

hahaha. nail on the head.

March 15, 2013 at 9:47 pm |
  4. Bostontola

How can one prove god exists? Not via science, science isn't in the prove game. Scientists just confirmed the existence of the Higgs Boson, they didn't prove it. It is even further from the realm of science to prove god doesn't exist. Why waste time looking for proofs?

March 15, 2013 at 8:02 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Good question. Why do believers insist they have them?

March 15, 2013 at 8:03 pm |
    • Kee

I believe and trust in God. God has never failed me.

March 15, 2013 at 8:55 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Fine. You believe. Don't claim you know.

March 15, 2013 at 8:56 pm |
    • Bostontola

I'm not sure why some folks turn a request for evidence into a statement of proof. I suppose if you trust the RCC, they have supernatural evidence (i.e. miracles) to support sainthood. I have never seen credible evidence. I would think the RCC would make this evidence as strong as possible, release it publicly, and show all that they are right. The RCC knows what real science is and would be able to make a strong scientific claim if they had one.

March 15, 2013 at 8:58 pm |

I know God is real.

March 15, 2013 at 8:58 pm |
    • Bostontola

Kee, that is great that you feel that way.

March 15, 2013 at 8:59 pm |

@Bostontola

How could you *know* that? Maybe you just feel that way.

March 15, 2013 at 9:01 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

i guess Kee can't even stand simple placation.

March 15, 2013 at 9:04 pm |
    • Larry of Nazareth

Actually, when Ratzi goes to find there is nothing beyond death, a bunch of us atheists are going to pretend we are Catholics and claim that praying to Bene cured us of our hemorrhoids. The Vatican will do their usual thorough investigation. We are going to be all over the globe, all saying the same thing, and voila! St. Benedict XVI, patron saint of hemorrhoid sufferers.

March 15, 2013 at 9:05 pm |
    • End Religion

Kee, if you believe in god then he failed to give you enough brain matter.

March 15, 2013 at 9:07 pm |
    • Kee

Neither can prove nor disprove God to each other.

March 15, 2013 at 9:08 pm |
    • Bostontola

Kee, you are right, I don't know that, I felt it. I didn't claim to know it.

March 15, 2013 at 9:09 pm |

@endreligion

God has given me everything I need.

March 15, 2013 at 9:10 pm |

@Bostontola

Yea, I guess it was TomTom claiming to have that knowledge.

March 15, 2013 at 9:11 pm |
    • Bostontola

Kee, why jump to proof? There is a lot of evidence for many scientific theories and we use the premise to construct electronic devices, bridges, etc that work as expected, but those theories aren't proven. Is there evidence of god?

March 15, 2013 at 9:12 pm |

@bostontola
      I didn't jump to proof. I am saying I know that God is real.

@Is there any evidence of God?

What kind of evidence do you want?

March 15, 2013 at 9:16 pm |
    • End Religion

Kee,, it is nice to hear you're retired.

March 15, 2013 at 9:16 pm |

@endreligion

I'm living paycheck to paycheck... I got about 25 years until retirement.

March 15, 2013 at 9:18 pm |
    • Bostontola

Kee, you said neither can prove it to the other side. I am only asking for evidence not proof.

March 15, 2013 at 9:20 pm |
    • Kee

What kind of evidence are you looking for? What kind of investigation have you done on your search for God?

March 15, 2013 at 9:22 pm |
    • .

Kee, you just proved TT's point. You say you believe. That's one thing. Then you say you KNOW. Prove it. How?

March 15, 2013 at 9:29 pm |
    • Your right, kind of

Yes there is no proof that the christian god does not exist; but, there are mountains of evidence that it doesn't. For example why does he never miraculously heal amputees, not matter how much they pray or how strongly they believe. Is it because god hates them or is it because it doesn't exist.
      Interestingly there is no proof that bigfoot don't exist either; but, there are mountains of evidence that it doesn't

March 15, 2013 at 9:30 pm |
    • Kee

TomTom says believers ALWAYS say they can prove it.

So, no. I can't prove it to you.

But I did just prove TomTom wrong. 🙂

March 15, 2013 at 9:31 pm |
    • Kee

@ For example why does he never miraculously heal amputees, not matter how much they pray or how strongly they believe. Is it because god hates them or is it because it doesn't exist.

You think we can control God by praying and believing in just the right way?

My friend's daughter had her arm amputated. They still love her. They still believe in God. Do you think they would love her better if God gave her another arm?

Do you think there is something wrong with amputees?

March 15, 2013 at 9:42 pm |
    • cabbage desimator

Uh oh – Kee is back; he must have got a new tongue after that last lashing.
      We'll just call him New Tongue Kee.

March 15, 2013 at 9:48 pm |
    • Sue

Kee, the nonexistence of specific gods, including the Christian god, actually can be proven, and has been. Which god is it that you worship?

March 15, 2013 at 9:50 pm |

@Sue
      The Maker and Great Spirit of the universe. Our Creator.

March 15, 2013 at 9:56 pm |

Jesus Christ is my Lord.

March 15, 2013 at 9:57 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

Ah the age old "what evidence do you want?". Let me ask, what other kind of evidence is there other than empirical?

March 15, 2013 at 10:14 pm |
    • Rollo Tomasi

@Kee "So, you think if someone prays realy hard or believes very, very strongly, God will do what they desire?"

That is EXACTLY what Jesus says God will do in Mark 11:23 and Matthew 21:21. He told us truly that that is what will happen.

March 15, 2013 at 10:17 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

kee. You only believe god is your creator – you have no evidence. You may also feel that god has never let you down, but thousands die daily which inquiring minds do not associate with an omnipotent loving god. I know you'll have the "god moves in mysterious ways" but those ways are so mysterious as to be indistinguishable from pure chance i.e. the absence of a god.

March 15, 2013 at 10:23 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Rollo, Governor Perry publicly prayed for rain in Texas. Didn't happen. Prayer cannot be proven to have any impact. Superstition is big in professional sport, don't you think both teams in a football match claim god on their side.

March 15, 2013 at 10:26 pm |

@ hawaiiguest
      Obviously (unless you think disbelief in God makes one mentally superior to believers) I have my personal evidence, based on my memories and experiences in this life for my belief in God. That is where I get my concept and understanding of God.

I honestly don't know what kind of evidence that poster was looking for.

@Rollo Tomasi

If you ignore the context and poetic language Jesus spoke – than yea, those verses look like with enough faith and belief you get a blank check to get anything you ask for.

He is talking about faith in God. Using prayer to get anything I want does not harmonize with faith in God.

"Thy will (not mine) be done, on Earth as in Heaven."

March 15, 2013 at 10:29 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Kee

Unconfirmable experiences that the cause cannot be demonstrated is not evidence. So called "revelation" is necessarily first person, and once used to try and convince anyone else it becomes heresay.
      I don't doubt you've had experiences Kee, and I don't think anyone worth having a conversation with would doub't you've had an experience, people who don't believe merely question your attributed cause of the experiences.

March 15, 2013 at 10:34 pm |

@Santa
      @ "but those ways are so mysterious as to be indistinguishable from pure chance i.e. the absence of a god."

Not that mysterious to me. At least not enough for me to believe there is no God.

@ Governor Perry publicly prayed for rain in Texas. Didn't happen.

It hasn't rained since he prayed?

I've been told it is wise for me to pray for knowledge of God's will for me. And also for the power to carry that out. Not to pray for selfish things.

March 15, 2013 at 10:37 pm |

@ hawaiiguest

I agree.

March 15, 2013 at 10:40 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Kee

Then why did you talk about "personal evidence" when it is "personal experiences"?

March 15, 2013 at 10:42 pm |
    • Answer

The stupid Kee.. with your "feelings" again.

Please cram those garbage feelings and those pathetic quotes as evidence for any god. Idiot.

March 15, 2013 at 10:44 pm |
    • Kee

I have evidence that God exists. It can't be recreated in a science lab or convincingly explained to a skeptical mind on a message board. But it is real evidence to me. I can not deny God exists. He is real. I have not always felt this way. I tried to deny his existence for a long time. I can't do that anymore.

March 15, 2013 at 10:45 pm |
    • Answer

"I have evidence that God exists."

==Then state them.. offer them. Show them. If they're 'physical' in nature then you'll have your words validated. But you're too stupid to do that because all you have are feelings.

Some good words convinced you of your stupidity – that's all. You religious people all love hearing some "bless" "glory" and "holy" and you're convinced.

March 15, 2013 at 10:48 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

kee. It didn't rain for months and even though it has rained it is still considered a drought. Something that is within the realms of normality that happens months after your prayer cannot be considered an answer to your prayers.

March 15, 2013 at 10:48 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Kee

I'm not trying to diminish your experiences, but calling it evidence implies testability and recreation. It implies more than your experience is capable of. You've had experiences that have convinced you your claims are true, but it is in no way evidence, not even to yourself.

March 15, 2013 at 10:50 pm |
    • Answer

Religious people never go out of the way to investigate their feelings on their want and need for a god.

They are always keen on keeping the moment they felt strongly as a way to convince themselves of their god.

All these hogwash line: "I was bless", "it was a miracle", "this divine feeling"..etc

March 15, 2013 at 10:55 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Kee lies. I didn't say that all believers always say they can prove there's a god.

Nice try, sh!twit.

March 15, 2013 at 11:00 pm |
    • End Religion

kee, you have no evidence.You have only delusion.

March 15, 2013 at 11:00 pm |

@ hawaiiguest
      @ but it is in no way evidence, not even to yourself.

Evidence – that which tends to prove or disprove something; ground for belief; proof.

I believe in God.

Just because I can't prove it to a few atheists on a "CNN Religion Blog", doesn't disprove anything to me.

If I said I did not believe in God I would be lying. And any evidence I came up with would not be honest.

I truthfully and honestly believe in God.

March 15, 2013 at 11:02 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You can't even manage to be honest here, you lying twit. You have no evidence. You believe. You have faith. That you continue to lie about it renders your belief and faith irrelevant.

If you idiots would simply stop your dishonesty and your phony claims of proof and evidence and show everyone that your faith and belief are sufficient, you'd do yourselves a big favor.

Instead you continue to lie.

March 15, 2013 at 11:06 pm |
    • Answer

Take a GOOD HARD LOOK at what you posted!!

======>>> "I have evidence that God exists."

You want to fall back on just on belief now? You cretin.

March 15, 2013 at 11:07 pm |
    • Answer

What part of this sentence below can you religious people not understand?

–> If you DID have any evidence for your god there would be no atheists.

March 15, 2013 at 11:11 pm |
    • Kee

I have evidence* that God exists. It can't be recreated in a science lab or convincingly explained to a skeptical mind on a message board. But it is real evidence to me. I can not deny God exists. He is real. I have not always felt this way. I tried to deny his existence for a long time. I can't do that anymore.

* Evidence (noun) – that which tends to prove or disprove something; ground for belief; proof.

March 15, 2013 at 11:12 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

So you have to mince words? Yah, you're a really impressive Christian believer, Kee.

Drop dead.

March 15, 2013 at 11:13 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I'd have some respect for someone who simply responded by acknowledging that he/she believed, without evidence, in God. That faith in God cannot be proven. I'd have far more time for someone who simply refuses to argue about the number of angels that can fit on the head of a pin.

Instead, I get Kee.

Lame ass.

March 15, 2013 at 11:17 pm |
    • Kee

@ What part of this sentence below can you religious people not understand?

"you religious people", is that supposed to be like when people say to me "you black people"?

It sure sounds like it.

@If you DID have any evidence for your god there would be no atheists.

There are atheists in the Bible.

March 15, 2013 at 11:19 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Which should give you a clue about the Bible, Kee. Or at least it would if you weren't brain dead.

March 15, 2013 at 11:20 pm |

@Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Then go away. Read a different blog. Go talk to your husband. Do something else, other than seeking out ways to be offended by people who believe differently than you.

March 15, 2013 at 11:20 pm |
    • Kee

"The fool says in his heart, 'There is no God.'"

March 15, 2013 at 11:22 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

No. I won't. And I'm not "offended", you self-righteous ass. i'm just not impressed by people like you, who claim to have "evidence" and thereby negate the value of their own faith.

If you HAD faith, you wouldn't need to defend it by claiming to have proof, ninny.

If you don't like what I type, don't read it. Scroll or scram, dear. I won't care one way or the other.

March 15, 2013 at 11:23 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

No, Kee. The REAL fools say "There is a God and I can prove it. I have evidence. I can't show it to you. It won't stand up in court. But I have it."

Why is it you can't be honest?

March 15, 2013 at 11:24 pm |

See you later!

Remember: holding on to resentments is a lot like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.

Resentment – is the experience of a negative emotion (anger or hatred, for instance)felt as a result of a real or imagined wrong done.

Even if it is a justified anger you are only hurting yourself. Not me. I've got Jesus – you can't harm my spirit.

🙂 Peace to all

March 15, 2013 at 11:24 pm |
    • Billy

""The fool says in his heart, 'There is no God.'"

That's silly. There's no way to stand inside your heart and say something.

March 15, 2013 at 11:26 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Beat it, Kee. Just blow. You're no different that HS, Chad, Topher, or Austin.

March 15, 2013 at 11:27 pm |
    • Billy

"I've got Jesus "

Probably on the dashboard of his Gremlin.

March 15, 2013 at 11:28 pm |
    • .

Equating "you religious people" with "you black people" is absolutely, positively retarded. And I didn't think Kee was retarded...until now. Nice deflection, weasel. Way to make it something it isn't.

March 15, 2013 at 11:30 pm |
    • Answer

You religious cretins keep on trying to redefine every word that is in standard understanding among people.

Here I'll break it down to you thick cvnts..

The word "PROVE" is a methodology. It consists of bringing material, physical elements – what we call – EVIDENCE into the equation. The posit of a proof is to help everyone understand any expression of opinion or idea.

Get that through your head you cretins.

March 15, 2013 at 11:39 pm |
    • fred

Answer
      Right and exactly how would any evidence change your soul? Certainly you are familiar with the Pharisees and Sanhedrin that demanded proof from Jesus? They were not given proof for the same reason you will not be given proof.

March 15, 2013 at 11:41 pm |

@fred

Simple. Have your god take you religious idiots off this planet tomorrow.

March 15, 2013 at 11:42 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Deadhead fred says:Right and exactly how would any evidence change your soul?

Who the fvck asked you to "change" my soul? If you're going to insist and proclaim that you have proof and evidence, then show it, you nincompoop. Otherwise, STOP LYING by saying you have something you don't. Is that clear enough for you?

March 15, 2013 at 11:45 pm |
    • Rollo Tomasi

Hey Santa – sorry for the slow response.

I was pointing out what Jesus said about prayer absolutely working exactly how you ask because it is so obvious that Jesus was wrong (and of course, gods cannot be wrong, so jesus cannot have be a god). Prayer does not work as he said. And I was showing Kee that he did not know his own Bible – hardly surprising.

March 15, 2013 at 11:47 pm |
    • Answer

The fvcknut fred will always be a fvcknut.

March 15, 2013 at 11:48 pm |
    • Rollo Tomasi

And I see Kee decided that Jesus did not say what he said. Brilliant. Kee must use the Shyster Lawyer Version of the Bible, which gives the ways to weasel out of what it actually says.

Christians: just astounding how ignorant they are.

March 15, 2013 at 11:50 pm |
    • Harry Haller

I demand you retract that horrible insult immediately, Answer! Who do you think you are?!?! What kind of horrible jerk insults fvcknuts by comparing them to fred?!?!?!

March 15, 2013 at 11:52 pm |
    • Answer

Ya Harry.. my bad. I apologize for that remark.

March 15, 2013 at 11:57 pm |
    • fred

tom tom
      Tom Tom
      What other reason could there be to demand evidence of God such that Answer would believe? God has expressed His purpose of creation in the redemption of souls for eternal life. Are suggesting proof of God would change His purpose in creation? If it was your body or mind God wanted for eternity He would not have made it out of matter that is subject to decomposition.
      If your soul does not need change and is acceptable before God as is then there is no need for redemption, Christ or creation.

March 16, 2013 at 12:02 am |

Fred.. go fvck yourself.

You're not ever going to give a clear basis for your belief. All you do is use the wonderful words and phrases that you grew up into believing. Blowing smoke up people's backside just to make yourself look like you're helping yourself. It's this entire cycle of self placating.

March 16, 2013 at 12:10 am |
    • Platypus Rex

It never fails: with just a bit of debate, the Christian always decomposes into the circular logic of "the Bible is right because the Bible says it is right."

March 16, 2013 at 12:14 am |
    • Answer

The religious freaks' basis for continuing this lie is for the bubble comfort.

You want to stay protected from reality because you can't deal with the discomfort of handling your own life. Becoming a piece of garbage because that way you can "receive" something else that is "special". Losing your own capability to think for what a whole series of old men want you to do and what they want you to follow. Repressed s-e-x-u-a-l-l-y and in the mind.

Being in a deplorable mess gives you such a comfort that you're not willing to say "I can do this myself."

Just a great methodology to just hand over your own will to another person. I just see the trash that you are fred.

March 16, 2013 at 12:16 am |
    • fred

Answer
      So you justify your lifestyle based on Philosophical Naturalism because it is impersonal making you feel better. Natural selection does not cast opinion or render personal judgment.
      Exactly what makes your epicurean lifestyle of over indulgence superior to a lifestyle of repression of temporal fancy and passing tastes?

March 16, 2013 at 12:41 am |
    • Answer

So you want to go try to pigeon hole myself to your image of what I am? You want to define who I am because you want to try to do it? Why not take a hard look at what you are. Desperately trying like Chad to define others for them.

Every one of you pathetic religious people can't understand that people like myself are happier than you and you can't stand it. 😀

You're pathetic fred. Try harder to come up with more molds that you want o define me as befitting your delusion of myself.
      You'll be at a lose because every one of you cretins are that way.
      ======
      from the article: "Humble pope has complicated past"

"This is why the cardinals selected him, Girard said: Francis doesn't fit into a mold." <<you religious freaks love trying to fit others into a perceived mold for others, but never want it the other way around. Look at that remark fred.

Try harder. Try til you die.

March 16, 2013 at 12:48 am |
    • Answer

You're wondering how I could anticipate what you would post?

Simple. You cretins all do the same routine day in and day out. The same bs tactics at convincing yourself that you have other people pegged to your delusion. That they'll be better once I convert them.

March 16, 2013 at 12:51 am |
    • fred

Answer
      You are correct, perhaps this Pope will bring about some change.
      If you are happy with your belief in naturalism why so defensive?

March 16, 2013 at 12:57 am |

Try again fred.

Pull out all the stops. What else can you come up with to say? Are you denying..? Are you afraid?

Go on .. let's see all your spiel. All your useless tactics.

March 16, 2013 at 12:59 am |
    • Answer

Why are you a pathetic dreg, fred?

March 16, 2013 at 1:00 am |
    • fred

Answer
      Not all Christians confuse meekness, humility and obedience with cowardice or a Martin Luther mode of self hate. Christ came to serve not be served while the religion of His day expected a King with a mighty physical presence. When they nailed Christ to the cross their true hearts were exposed.
      You do your fair share of nail pounding both on God and on Christians. You are equally predictable in your mocking of God and equally revealing as to the nature of your heart. Do you think happy well adjusted people are sitting around being rude to each other anonymously on a Friday night?

March 16, 2013 at 1:21 am |
    • Answer

All I asked was "Why are you a pathetic dreg?"

Are you afraid to tell me? It's what you are.. don't dodge. What are trying to justify by dodging?

March 16, 2013 at 1:51 am |
    • fred

Answer
      I think I will call it a night and give my repressed thoughts a rest. May your weekend be filled with joy far from the dregs of life.

March 16, 2013 at 2:02 am |
  5. End Religion

I leave you with these wise words:
    "As a country we may be fücked, but at least God isn't hurling rocks and loose horse meat at us."
    – John Stewart

March 15, 2013 at 7:30 pm |
  6. End Religion

Well, yet another day is winding down with zero credible evidence for any god or the purported miracle Jeebus. It's another beautiful godless day. Enjoy!

March 15, 2013 at 7:18 pm |
    • Lycidas

Was someone required to prove something to you today?

March 15, 2013 at 7:36 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

No. But they always claim they can. They always insist they have "evidence" and "proof." They say they "know."

If THEY are going to do that, they should follow through. Or shut the fvck up.

March 15, 2013 at 7:38 pm |
    • End Religion

2000+ years of no proof. Just empty threats of eternal "love taps" in hell.

March 15, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
    • Lycidas

Well, I don't agree that anyone "always" claim anything.

Now if someone says they can prove by following the scientific method that God exists, hey...call them on it.
      But getting all over a person for saying they know something from personal expereince isn't always fair.

March 15, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Have you read Chad's sludge?

March 15, 2013 at 7:47 pm |
    • Lycidas

@End Religion- "2000+ years of no proof. Just empty threats of eternal "love taps" in hell."

I am confused, do you require someone to prove the existence of God to you? I'd figured you would be the type that would make up your own mind.

March 15, 2013 at 7:47 pm |
    • Lycidas

"Have you read Chad's sludge?"

I tend to avoid the muck flinging that results when Chad shows up. Half a page of warring comments by multiple ppl that seems to end up in more name calling than real debate isn't worth reading.

March 15, 2013 at 7:49 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Yes, when they insist they can. Again, have you read some of fred's posts? Chad's? Topher's?

I'd be perfectly satisfied to see believers discuss their beliefs and their faith. What I loathe is the claims of "fact" these posters and others make. I'm fine with belief and faith. I'm not fine with false claims of "proof" and "facts."

March 15, 2013 at 7:52 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You can avoid it if you so choose, Lycidas. But it is pervasive here.

March 15, 2013 at 7:53 pm |
    • End Religion

Uncouth Swain asked: "do you require someone to prove the existence of God to you?"

Yep! Get cracking!

March 15, 2013 at 8:04 pm |
    • Lycidas

"Again, have you read some of fred's posts? Chad's? Topher's?"

Not much.

"What I loathe is the claims of "fact" these posters and others make."

I agree, though sometimes that goes both ways. It frustrates me when ppl on the other side of the argument will just completely throw the Bible out of an argument because they don't agree with everything in it. Or they treat the Bible as one source when in reality it's made up of multiple books. Sure it's not perfect but what ancient text is? But we don't throw out the Book of the Dead when we are studying ancient Egypt or Plato's writings on Socrates.

"You can avoid it if you so choose, Lycidas. But it is pervasive here."

I've noticed that it is.

March 15, 2013 at 8:04 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Thank you for acknowledging that, Lycidas. Very few believers do. I appreciate the honesty.

March 15, 2013 at 8:07 pm |
    • Lycidas

End Religion- "Yep! Get cracking!"

Sorry, I do not recognize your authority to demand such a request. Such is life.

March 15, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

ER, I don't ask for proof if a believer acknowledges that belief and faith are what he/she has. It's the arrogant twits like HS, Chad, Topher, and others that disgust me with their nonsensical assertions that they "know" or "have proof" when they do not.

March 15, 2013 at 8:10 pm |
  7. Taco Consumer

How many billions of dollars is the church worth? How many people starved to death last year? Why doesn't the church help these people, if they truly are altruistic? Any sheep care to answer?

March 15, 2013 at 6:41 pm |
  8. SAAB

people are digging on him already, Spanish channel Univision is showing interview of Jorge's ex girlfriend. lol!!

March 15, 2013 at 5:23 pm |
    • End Religion

They have a 65 year age difference.

March 15, 2013 at 6:19 pm |
    • Taco Consumer

At least he isn't bvttfvcking children. Yet.

March 15, 2013 at 6:39 pm |
  9. Reality

Dear Francis,

Bringing you into the 21st century:

o "Abrahamics" like yourself believe that their god created all of us and of course that includes the g-ay members of the human race. Also, those who have studied ho-mo-se-xuality have determined that there is no choice involved therefore ga-ys are ga-y because god made them that way.

To wit:

1. The Royal College of Psy-chiatrists stated in 2007:

“ Despite almost a century of psy-choanalytic and psy-chological speculation, there is no substantive evidence to support the suggestion that the nature of parenting or early childhood experiences play any role in the formation of a person’s fundamental heteros-exual or hom-ose-xual orientation. It would appear that s-exual orientation is biological in nature, determined by a complex interplay of ge-netic factors and the early ut-erine environment. Se-xual orientation is therefore not a choice.[60] "

2. "Garcia-Falgueras and Swaab state in the abstract of their 2010 study, "The fe-tal brain develops during the intraut-erine period in the male direction through a direct action of tes-tosterone on the developing nerve cells, or in the female direction through the absence of this hor-mone surge. In this way, our gender identi-ty (the conviction of belonging to the male or female gender) and s-exual orientation are programmed or organized into our brain structures when we are still in the womb. There is no indication that social environment after birth has an effect on gender ident–ity or s-exual orientation."[8

3. See also the Philadelphia Inquirer review “Gay Gene, Deconstructed”, 12/12/2011. Said review addresses the following “How do genes associated with ho-mose-xuality avoid being weeded out by Darwinian evolution?”

Of course, those gays who belong to Abrahamic religions supposedly abide by the rules of no adu-ltery or for-nication allowed.

March 15, 2013 at 4:15 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I always wanted to be a kangaroo doesn't make it true that I was born a kangaroo. Oh, the power of the human mind.

March 15, 2013 at 5:16 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I even wanted to be a female kangaroo very carnally but none of the male 'roos would jump me.

March 15, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Phony heavensent is too carnal.

March 15, 2013 at 6:02 pm |
  10. SAAB

is horhe holding a tobacco spit cup?

March 15, 2013 at 3:17 pm |
    • Akira

Ewww! Lol. I'm thinking it's ashes...

March 15, 2013 at 3:36 pm |
  11. Look

The Pope, wearing a fabulous vintage chiffon-lined Dior gold lame gown
    over a silk Vera Wang empire waist tulle cocktail dress,
    accessorized with a three-foot House of Whoville hat and
    the ruby slippers Judy Garland wore in the Wizard of Oz, on his way to tell us it's Wrong to be Gay.

March 15, 2013 at 2:26 pm |
    • Brian M

LMAO!

March 15, 2013 at 2:33 pm |
  12. Look

Look!! He stole that hat from the little boy he was doing!!! He just removed the propeller and now it's his!

March 15, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
    • Look

Look! And idiot that thinks making fun of a man's hat is clever comedy!
      Hey, how about you aim toward the kippah next?

March 15, 2013 at 2:24 pm |
    • Bob

That actually explains a lot. No wonder those hats are always too small for the priests who wear them.

March 15, 2013 at 2:24 pm |
    • Brian M

That hat is probably big enough to hide a small person for convenience until the service is over.

March 15, 2013 at 2:35 pm |
  13. HeavenSent

We all have our shoulders to carry. With that said, most people have to learn spiritual truth for their carnal perceptions of life. Life is a test from God. He gave us His blueprint (the Bible) how to learn His spiritual truth and rid ourselves of the devil's condoms from our lives so we can be more fully carnal ourselves. I 'm all carnal all the time. God wants all of us to be carnal so that he can dwell in us for eternity.

Are you preparing yourself to pass Go? Or, do you not believe there is no test to fake?

March 15, 2013 at 2:18 pm |
    • .

Being that our shoulders are attached to the rest of our body, yes, we do have to carry them. And yes, carnal is good. Especially with some kick-ass salsa.

March 15, 2013 at 2:39 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Blocking my freedom to post as usual phony heavensent, Oh, but if ia done to you. You'd complain about your rights being violated. Wait. What am I writing? I forgot, it's all about you, you. you and who cares who you prey upon. LOL.

March 15, 2013 at 3:34 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Spot. Sorry you are satisfied and clueless in staying carnal. I suppose some are too lazy to learn spiritual truth if there is no apple to polish for the teacher.

March 15, 2013 at 3:37 pm |
    • HeavenSent

God invented apples so we can be carnal with them. He tempted Adam and Eve with them and continues to do so today. God needs to test our carnality with temptations daily because even though he is omniscient he can't be expected to know everything.

March 15, 2013 at 4:04 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Still posting your nonsense under my handle phony heavensent. I suspect you are a communist that talks a good game and wants to destroy our country from the inside out.

March 15, 2013 at 4:12 pm |
    • Giggling Merlin

Phony HeavenSent: try as you might, you just can't out-crazy a nutter, you commie inside-out-country-destroyer you!

March 15, 2013 at 4:15 pm |

Giggling Merlin,

Amos 8:11-12

11 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:
      12 And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find it. (KJV)

Amen.

March 15, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
    • STFU

fake HeavenSent, more likely ISLAM is making mischief.

March 15, 2013 at 5:06 pm |
    • Erin

Seems like no matter how you slice it, Christian god sounds pretty vicious and generally repugnant. Personally I vote for Dumbledore for prime deity, with a tasty side of FSM thrown in.

March 15, 2013 at 5:51 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Erin, you probably just watched the Harry Potter movies instead of reading the books.

March 15, 2013 at 6:05 pm |
    • HeavenSent

You should read the bible and other carnal books. Sometimes I just look at the pictures though.

March 15, 2013 at 7:05 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Phony heavensent, some day you'll stop believing lies.

March 15, 2013 at 7:23 pm |
  14. Science

The BREAKING NEWS you mentioned clarity

BREAKING NEWS Chad

'God' particle explainer

CBC.ca ‎- 2 hours ago

This week's announcement that scientists are confident they have discovered the Higgs boson particle, sometimes called the God particle, ...

Why the Higgs boson 'God particle' matters

Peace

March 15, 2013 at 1:15 pm |
  15. Over 40,000 denominations of insanity

Some believe that celibacy is appropriate for certain people, or for certain positions. It's ridiculous. Celibacy is unnatural and will continue to cause problems for the religious institutions that employ it.

Many of the people from these same institutions advocate against abortion, but don't understand the realistic benefit of the morning after pill or even basic contraception; their unrealistic wishful thinking is causing the death of many at the hands of disease. Realistically, many abortions could be avoided if a morning-after pill were not viewed as such an evil option. Many of these same people bring children into the world at a high pace, and then would prefer that the rest of society take over and educate their children in their particular brand of religion when they don't plan well.

In the U.S. recently we learned of the head of LCMS chastising a minister of that church for participating in a joint service for the victims of the Newtown school shooting.

One sect calls homosexuality an abomination while the next one in the same denomination is already performing gay marriage.

One sect, the Westboro Baptist Church believes Americans are being killed at war because America is too kind to "fags".

One sect believes that Jesus and Satan were brothers and that Christ will return to Jerusalem AND Jackson County, Missouri.

One sect believes women to be subservient, while another sect in the same denomination promotes equality between the sexes.

Conflicted right from the very beginning, Christianity continues to splinter and create divisions and more extremism as it goes.

=================================================
    Has anything improved with Christianity since 200+ years ago?

Thomas Jefferson, POTUS #3 (from Notes on the State of Virginia):

Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth.

James Madison, POTUS #4, chief architect of the U.S. Constitution & the Bill of Rights (from A Memorial and Remonstrance delivered to the Virginia General Assembly in 1785):

During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry, and persecution.

John Adams, POTUS #2 (in a letter to Thomas Jefferson, 09/03/1816):

I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved – the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced! With the rational respect that is due to it, knavish priests have added prostitutions of it, that fill or might fill the blackest and bloodiest pages of human history.

Ben Franklin (from a letter to The London Packet, 3 June 1772):

If we look back into history for the character of present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution. The primitive Christians thought persecution extremely wrong in the Pagans, but practised it on one another. The first Protestants of the Church of England, blamed persecution in the Roman church, but practised it against the Puritans: these found it wrong in the Bishops, but fell into the same practice themselves both here and in New England.

Thomas Paine (from The Age of Reason):

All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.
    =================================================================================

March 15, 2013 at 1:07 pm |

• ..

March 15, 2013 at 1:07 pm |
  16. pervert alert

Telling the filthy qu eers where to go is way overdue. Thanks to Francis for emphasizing the proper perspectives in life. Qu eers the people who gave the world AIDS.

March 15, 2013 at 1:06 pm |
    • ..

Lying will get you nowhere.

March 15, 2013 at 1:08 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

pervert alert = closeted g.ay self-loathing h.omophobe

March 15, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
    • Doobs

This has been disproven over and over, yet you still post a lie.

You're going to burn in hell for lying.

March 15, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
    • HeavenSent

We all have our crosses to carry. With that said, most people have to learn spiritual truth to stop their carnal perceptions of life. Life is a test from God. He gave us His blueprint (the Bible) how to learn His spiritual truth and rid ourselves of the devil's carnal lies from our lives so we can be the best that He wants all of us to be so that we can dwell with Him for eternity.

Are you preparing yourself to pass? Or, do you not believe there is no test to take?

March 15, 2013 at 1:17 pm |

March 15, 2013 at 1:20 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

i'd rather be a good person here on earth and accept my g.ay brothers and sisters than try to live up to a 2K year old fairy tale that tells me to hate people and i will be rewarded.

March 15, 2013 at 1:24 pm |
    • hal 9001

I'm sorry, "HeavenSent", but "Christ" is an element of mythology, therefore your assertion is unfounded.

I'm sorry, "pervert alert", but your assertion is a falsehood.

March 15, 2013 at 1:30 pm |
    • snopes says

pervert alert is false

March 15, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
    • Akira

Well, HeavenSent, it has been disproven to pa again and again that it wasn't gay people who caused AIDS. Read some archived material, or better yet, read some medical journals. And get your mind out of the gutter; not everyone runs around having indiscriminate sex as you believe.
      Pervert alert is a troll who continuously posts the same lie over and over. And what is that? Breaking the 9th Commandment. As perpetuating that lie by agreeing is.

March 15, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
    • pervert alert

Sour gripes and whining, the hallmarks of the poor little qu eers. Somebody is telling the Truth about qu eers and they don't like it. Tough sh it, qu eers the subhumans that gave the world AIDS.

March 15, 2013 at 1:38 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Cap'n Sayin Atheism Isn't An Agnry Pervert Rangerfield
      HIV is a mutated strain of SIV (Simian Immunodeficiency Virus) that was first transmitted to humans via improperly handled bushmeat.
      IE: Some jungle hunter with an open wound came in contact with the blood of an infected monkey.

And what of Feline Immunodeficiency Virus? Is that becuase of all the gay cats out there?

March 15, 2013 at 1:47 pm |
    • SAAB

way overdue !!! are you suggesting other Popes and churches closed their eye on issue that is so critical to you? that only tells me one thing too, your types are only a tiny fraction in your own community.

March 15, 2013 at 1:49 pm |
    • Doobs

@ HeavenSent

I was referring to the false claim the poster makes that gay people gave the world AIDS. A simple google search disproves it, yet this poster continues to perpetuate the lie.

As far as the rest of your post, it's off topic, but I'll just mention that I was a fundie for many years, so I've done the whole asking Jeebus into my heart. I was baptized. I've experienced the baptism of the spirit. I've spoken in tongues. I've done years of bible study. I taught in a fundie elementary school. I taught children's Bible School at my church every week. Choir. Prayer groups. Bible studies. Pastor's inner circle. The whole nine yards.

March 15, 2013 at 1:50 pm |
    • Akira

And what types would 'you' types be, SAAB?

March 15, 2013 at 1:52 pm |
    • Atheist, me?

Akira,
      The Roman Catholic Church is not the only Church and most Christians don't give a whit who does what behind closed doors. It is gays who have an overly unfounded need to have us all approve their lifetyle. That won't happen today nor tomorrow. They just have to deal with it.

March 15, 2013 at 1:53 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Doobs
      Och! It disnae matter tae HeavenSent if yir sporran was full of holy water –
      Yir still nae Scotsman tae her!

March 15, 2013 at 1:55 pm |
    • SAAB

Akira, I mean people who calls other "filthy qu eers ", like ISLAM dude, because they don't agree religiously; hey Pervert did you know that many of restaurants have chefs or cooks are the people you hate most, preparing dishes for you?

March 15, 2013 at 2:00 pm |
    • Akira

Atheist, I don't care what any church says about gay marriage. Gay people want state rights, not church rights.
      As long as Christian beliefs aren't codified into secular law, I couldn't, quite honestly, care less about what any church thinks.

March 15, 2013 at 2:02 pm |
    • midwest rail

Categorically false. What they need is for hypocritical contemporary Christians to refrain from attempting to codify their belief through civil legislation.

March 15, 2013 at 2:04 pm |
    • Akira

Thanks for the clarification, SAAB. He's certainly a bigot.

March 15, 2013 at 2:06 pm |
    • Atheist, me?

Booty so Christians who are not killing gays and non-virgin brides are cherry picking. Show me where Christians tortured gays and non-virgin brides. Christ's mother had a taint on her name and if her fiance had not taken responsibility for her pregnancy you will b a happy man today.
      When you pick on justice no matter the most challenging part and ignore the message of charitable love and mercy in the Bible, who is cherry picking?

March 15, 2013 at 2:08 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Atheist, me?

The bible does not promote mercy. It promotes an ultimatum of "believe, or I'll torture you forever". That is not love, it is not justice, it is not merciful. The christian doctrine is one of the most divisive, immoral piles of shit in existence.

March 15, 2013 at 2:13 pm |
    • Atheist, me?

HAAWAI
      The fact that true belief in the God of the Bible is to love your neighbor as yourself and show your neighbor compassion is lost on you, is it?
      If u were a xtian b4 then I'm glad u left if all u could learn was that a nonChristian is not saved by God. If you practise charitable love it will be obvious to you that what is called assurance of salvation or self esteem is not a Christian thing!

March 15, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Atheist, me?

If you want to cherry pick certain verses, sure. You would be ignoring the vast majority of verses that specifically state that obedience and blind faith are more important. But then again, the bible is the Big Book of Multiple Choice anyway.

March 15, 2013 at 2:51 pm |
    • Atheist, me?

Hawaii
      If I want to cherry pick? If the Bible is the big book of multi-choice why are you then limiting yourself to a very small swathe of it. The Books of Law are only five out of 66-72 books. Are u sure we won't find charitable love in there? In fact it us there that we are commanded to love our neighbor as ourself. A law which Atheists confuse with the Golden Rule of Jesus ever so often! It is the Central theme of the Bible so I do not know how the many other side issues crowd it out in ur mind. Just read the Bible like you would a novel or childrdn's story and you will be helped. If you like most Atheists and Chridtians do memorise verses that make your point you will miss the Bible's own viewpoint.

March 15, 2013 at 3:21 pm |
    • Atheist, me?

Doobs
      So u suffered religious burn out? Very common among Fundamentalists. I was taught to focus more on loving my neighbor as myself n showing compassion by my late mum rather than all that you describe as your credentials as a Christian or to wit the whole nine yards. As she oftn said those who pray a lot are mostly mean. I am glad you left that false standard behind. Working on your credentials before God is unnecessary. Charitable love and compassion fosters self esteem and morality and I hope you learn to do just that.

March 15, 2013 at 3:34 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Bootyfunk, did it ever occur to you that ho-mo-s-ex-uals are focused on the carnal lies than Jesus' spiritual truth that will set them free from man made bondage? I know. It's too much for you to comprehend.

March 15, 2013 at 3:43 pm |
    • .

HeavenSent aka pervert alert uses multiple handles.

March 15, 2013 at 3:49 pm |
    • .

"Qu eers the people who gave the world AIDS."

Until recently, the origins of the HIV-2 virus had remained relatively unexplored. HIV-2 is thought to come from the SIV in Sooty Mangabeys rather than chimpanzees, but the crossover to humans is believed to have happened in a similar way (i.e. through the butchering and consumption of monkey meat). It is far rarer, significantly less infectious and progresses more slowly to AIDS than HIV-1. As a result, it infects far fewer people, and is mainly confined to a few countries in West Africa.

In May 2003, a group of Belgian researchers published a report in Proceedings of the National Academy of Science. By analysing samples of the two different subtypes of HIV-2 (A and B) taken from infected individuals and SIV samples taken from sooty mangabeys, Dr Vandamme concluded that subtype A had passed into humans around 1940 and subtype B in 1945 (plus or minus 16 years or so). Her team of researchers also discovered that the virus had originated in Guinea-Bissau and that its spread was most likely precipitated by the independence war that took place in the country between 1963 and 1974 (Guinea-Bissau is a former Portuguese colony). Her theory was backed up by the fact that the first European cases of HIV-2 were discovered among Portuguese veterans of the war, many of whom had received blood transfusions or unsterile injections following injury, or had possibly had relationships with local women.

Given the evidence we have already looked at, it seems highly likely that Africa was indeed the continent where the transfer of HIV to humans first occurred (monkeys from Asia and South America have never been found to have SIVs that could cause HIV in humans). In May 2006, the same group of researchers who first identified the Pan troglodytes troglodytes strain of SIVcpz, announced that they had narrowed down the location of this particular strain to wild chimpanzees found in the forests of Southern Cameroon . By analysing 599 samples of chimp droppings (P. T. troglodytes are a highly endangered and thus protected species that cannot be killed or captured for testing), the researchers were able to obtain 34 specimens that reacted to a standard HIV DNA test, 12 of which gave results that were virtually indistinguishable from the reactions created by human HIV. The researchers therefore concluded that the chimpanzees found in this area were highly likely the origin of both the pandemic Group M of HIV-1 and of the far rarer Group N. The exact origins of Group O however remain unknown.

HIV Group N principally affects people living in South-central Cameroon, so it is not difficult to see how this outbreak started. Group M, the group that has caused the worldwide pandemic, was however first identified in Kinshasa, in the Democratic Repub lic of Con go. It is not entirely clear how it transferred from Cameroon to Kinshasa, but the most likely explanation is that an infected individual travelled south down the San gha river that runs through Southern Cam eroon to the River Con go and then on to Kin shasa, where the Group M epidemic probably began.

Just as we do not know exactly who spread the virus from Cam eroon to Kin shasa, how the virus spread from Africa to America is also not entirely clear. However, recent evidence suggests that the virus may have arrived via the Cari bbean island of H aiti.

March 15, 2013 at 3:50 pm |
    • James

"ho-mo-s-ex-uals are focused on the carnal lies than Jesus' spiritual truth"

The scriptures actually say nothing about homosexuality as a psychosexual orientation. Our understandings of sexual orientation are distinctly modern ones that were not present in the minds of Scripture writers. A few passages of Scripture (seven at the most) object to certain types of same-sex expressions or acts. The particular acts in question, however, are sexual expressions which are exploitative, oppressive, commercialized, or offensive to ancient purity rituals. There is no Scriptural guidance for same-sex relationships which are loving and mutually respecting. Guidelines for these relationships should come from the same general Scriptural norms that apply to heterosexual relationships.

March 15, 2013 at 3:52 pm |
    • Doobs

@ Doc

Ah ken, bit ah lik' tae tweak her lugs.

March 15, 2013 at 3:52 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Sorry hal 9001, if you read, lived your life by Jesus' spiritual truth, you'd comprehend what you are missing. Until then, you remain clueless.

March 15, 2013 at 3:55 pm |
    • Doobs

@ Atheist, Me?

So u suffered religious burn out?

No, it was nothing like that. I didn't suffer at all. In fact, I feel better than I ever have, now that I don't believe I was born bad and unworthy.

March 15, 2013 at 3:57 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Spot, I don't waste my time with this blog. I post once in a blue moon to try to instill His wisdom into empty heads. It's called sewing seeds. Only God waters those that ask.

March 15, 2013 at 4:00 pm |
    • The World of HeavenSent

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0-04VDrCbM&w=640&h=360]

March 15, 2013 at 4:00 pm |
    • Doobs

"sewing seeds"

Must be one of the new arts and crafts activities at the sanitarium.

March 15, 2013 at 4:02 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Akira, the original poster is not my doing. I worked on the front lines during the original outbreak of the AIDS crisis in this country as well as world wide.

March 15, 2013 at 4:46 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Doobs, just because they call you sunny doesn't make you bright.

March 15, 2013 at 4:48 pm |
    • HeavenSent

James, good try. No cigar.

March 15, 2013 at 4:54 pm |
    • OTOH

Doobs,
      ""sewing seeds"
      "Must be one of the new arts and crafts activities at the sanitarium."

Heheheh. It 'seams' that HS doesn't understand your clever needling...

March 15, 2013 at 5:18 pm |
    • Akira

Heaven Sent, so you didn't write this?
      "Doobs, who proved what? Are you going to loose your soul by others that are also lost? Or, are you going to listen to Jesus Christ who created all?"
      Doesn't even matter. Pervert alert is wrong, and if you believe him, so are you.
      That's all I was referring to.

March 15, 2013 at 6:02 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Doobs, bursting your bubble. To "ask Jesus into your heart" means to get off your butt and learn His truth. Speaking in tongues is not what phony congregations think it means.

March 15, 2013 at 6:08 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Akira, that is my post. I thought you were writing to the handle that posted the original statement and thought it was me. As for my response to his statement. I did post what I had to say and my post has nothing to do with what you are referring..

March 15, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
    • Akira

And I was replying to you, HS, about your post to Doobs, who was replying to pervert alert regarding what had been proven false: pervert alert's baloney.
      Understand?

March 15, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
    • My goodness but you're stupid

Atheist, me? " It is gays who have an overly unfounded need to have us all approve their lifetyle. "
      Gays don't want your approval. They just want you to leave them alone and not appose they're having the same civil rights as every other human

March 15, 2013 at 9:57 pm |
    • Doobs

Oh, honey, you're not bursting anything for me. You aren't qualified. I did 120% every day all day. So don't tell me what me experience was. I lived it, I know what it was, and I know what it wasn't.

Sorry to burst your bubble, dear.

March 15, 2013 at 11:35 pm |
    • Atheist, me?

Rainer
      I guess you now realise that if you do not learn to love Roman Catholics and Atheists as yourself you will end up in the name-calling business.
      Rainer as a fellow Evangelical can I point out to you that loving our neighbor as ourself and showing compassion is all Christ requires of us. Focus on this and let your heart be at peace.
      Theology is seriously over-rated. Remember the Good Samaritan?

March 16, 2013 at 12:11 pm |
  17. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

March 15, 2013 at 1:03 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

actions cause change; prayer wastes valuable time.

March 15, 2013 at 1:10 pm |
    • Hahahahahahha

What god do plants worship? Hahahahahahahaha

March 15, 2013 at 2:17 pm |
    • Jesus

March 15, 2013 at 2:48 pm |
    • Really?

"Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things"

That's why the data, has shown that atheists have happier and healthier lives than conservative Christians. Your post is built on a lie!

March 15, 2013 at 2:50 pm |

March 15, 2013 at 3:46 pm |
    • Ron

"Carnal lies versus Jesus Christ's spiritual truth. Mmmmhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Choose wisely."

Life events shared by Jesus and another god-man:

There are numerous god-men in the ancient Mediterranean area and Middle East. There are many stories that appear both in Jesus' biography and in the legends of another god-man:

– Mother's pregnancy: It was a common belief among early Christians that Mary was pregnant for only seven months. This legend is preserved in the Gospel of the Hebrews. Although this gospel was widely used by early Christians, it was never accepted into the official canon. Semele, mother of Dionysus, was also believed to have had a 7 month pregnancy.

– Virgin birth: Author William Harwood has written that Jesus' "equation in Greek eyes with the resurrected savior-god Dionysos led an interpolator to insert a virgin-birth myth into the gospel now known as Matthew." 1

– Birth Witnesses:

– The gospel of Matthew records that Jesus was visited by an unknown number of wise men, called Magi.

– Authors Freke & Gandy identify them as followers of the god man Mithras from Persia. 4

– Most other sources believe that they were Zoroastrian priests from Persia who were experts in astrology. There is a Zoroastrian belief "that a son of Zoroaster will be born many years after his death by a virgin...This son will apparantly [sic] raise the dead and crush the forces of evil. Later Christians got rather excited about this apparant [sic] pagan prophecy of the coming of the Messiah..." 2

– The gospel of Luke records that Jesus was visited by three shepherds. Mithra the god man from Persia was also visited shortly after birth by three shepherds.

– The magi brought gold, frankincense and myrrh. A Pagan belief from the 6th century BCE states that these are the precise materials to use when worshiping God.

– Healing: Jesus is recorded throughout the gospels as healing the sick and restoring the dead to life. So was Asclepius, a Greek god man. Pagans and early Christians debated who was the more effective healer.

– Ministry: Jesus appeared as a wandering holy man who is later transfigured in the presence of some of his disciples. Dionysus was portrayed in the same manner in Euripides' play The Bacchae, written in 410 BCE.

– Miracles:

– Both Jesus and Empedocles were recorded as teaching spiritual truths, curing illness, foretelling the future, controlling the wind and rain, and raising people from the dead.

– Both Mithra and Jesus performed many healings of the sick and mentally ill; both raised the dead. 3

– Mark, chapter 5 describes Jesus driving demons from a man into a herd of about 2,000 pigs who rushed over a cliff and drowned. In Eleusis, about 2,000 initiates would bathe in the sea. Each had a young pig to which the believers' sins would be transferred. The pigs were then chased over a chasm and killed.

– Fishing: John 21:11 records that Jesus performed a miracle which enabled Simon Peter to catch exactly 153 fish. The Pagan Pythagoras considered 153 a sacred number. The ratio of 153 to 265 was referred to by the Pagan Archimedes as "the measure of the fish." That ratio is used to generate a fish-like shape using two circles. The sign of the fish was used by the early Christians as their main symbol.

– Arrest:

– Both Dionysus and Jesus celebrated a Last Supper with his 12 disciples before his death.

– Dionysus is described in Euripides' play The Bacchae as bringing a new religion to the people, being plotted against by the leaders, being arrested and appearing before the political ruler. Dionysus said to his captors "You know not what you are doing..," almost replicating Jesus' words at the cross. He was unjustly accused and executed. All of these themes are seen in the Gospels.

– Crucifixion & resurrection:

– Jesus' body was wrapped in linen and anointed with myrrh and aloe. Osiris was also said to have been wrapped in linen and anointed with myrrh.

Again, the god men myths had been circulating well before Jesus birth. The Christians would have copied earlier Pagan material, not vice-versa.

March 15, 2013 at 4:00 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Ron, is clueless your middle name?

March 15, 2013 at 4:50 pm |
    • .

"is clueless your middle name?"

Typical response when a xtian when confronted with facts about the lies of their religion.

March 15, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I choose carnal each time, every time, all the time.

March 15, 2013 at 7:22 pm |

March 15, 2013 at 7:28 pm |
    • .

"Spot, I'll debate you or anyone on Jesus' truth. Not wasting my time with those that go on atheists sites and post what the blind tell the blind."

That's why you go to bible study websites and copy/paste from them hypocrite and liar.

March 15, 2013 at 7:51 pm |
  18. Bootyfunk

i'm glad they picked an old, conservative white guy again. he'll stick to his anti-g.ay message. he'll keep women as 2nd class citizens. he'll tell people condoms are evil. the church will push it's dark ages agenda and keep becoming more and more irrelevant till they fade away.

March 15, 2013 at 12:58 pm |
    • Akira

I think no matter WHO they chose as Pope, it would remain that way, unfortunately.

March 15, 2013 at 1:00 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Bootyfunk, you're in the wrong line of work with that mind reading to know what the man is going to do already. I forgot again ... it's complain about nothing you know about is the name of your game.

March 15, 2013 at 3:48 pm |
  19. SAAB

How in the world Catholic Priests standing six inches from women, affectionately touching them and anticipated not to admire their beauty, and little aroused in night ??!!! Priest Celibacy is a joke and it is time to abolish it.

March 15, 2013 at 12:16 pm |
    • james

these guys are supposed to be following the example of the apostle Peter but fail since Peter was married.(see Matt.8:14 or also Mark 1:30) just a start to the list of how many things the cath church gets wrong when it comes to the Bible.

March 15, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
    • Akira

Peter didn't institute celibacy.
      Peter was chosen by Jesus to administer Jesus's ministry after Jesus died, and that is the role of the Pope today: continuing to administer the faith.
      Many of the Pope's and priests in early Christianity/Catholicism were married.

March 15, 2013 at 12:58 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

not just the catholic church - every church. the bible tells it's followers to kill all g.ays, non-virgin brides, disobedient children and anyone working the weekend. anyone who actually followed the bible to the letter would be among the worst serial killer/mass murderers ever to exist. in or to think the bible is an all 'good' book - you have to read only about 1/2 of it. luckily, christians don't follow the bible very closely and just cherrypick passages they like.

March 15, 2013 at 1:00 pm |
    • james

booty and so many of the others have been so misled by these people that "cherrypick" it is no wonder people question religion and the Bible but if you want to know what the Bible really teaches go to jw.org and learn freely as Jesus said should be done. no one should have to pay for the truth.

March 15, 2013 at 1:25 pm |

Bootyfunk,

And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28

Amen.

March 15, 2013 at 1:27 pm |
    • HeavenSent

It's all about fertille lands and personal growing. Let god water your seeds. The best way to do that is to kneel between his legs and wait with your mouth open to take it all in. That's what I do. Then you can really taste holy water. It really is an acquired taste and I love it.

March 15, 2013 at 7:23 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Phony heavensent. I haven't attended church services in years. I read the Bible to obtain His wisdom.

March 15, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
  20. humanity777

Do you honestly see a HUMBLE human here; dressed in the finest materials on Earth, living in a palace, wears gold, eats the finest of foods, and will travel First Class.....as the countries that donate money to him, have millions of starving children, that die......."HUMBLE"......MY FRIEND, PLEASE OPEN YOUR EYES!

March 15, 2013 at 12:05 pm |
    • Pothik

Totally agree with you.

March 15, 2013 at 12:17 pm |
    • .

You could also say the same thing about the billionaire evangelists, also. But you won't.

March 15, 2013 at 12:22 pm |
      • humanity777

They are even worse.....escaping Religions, only to fill with greed!

March 15, 2013 at 12:29 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

the money it costs to make the pope's silk robes could feel an african village for a year.

March 15, 2013 at 1:02 pm |
    • .

how many africans eat silk.

March 15, 2013 at 1:06 pm |
    • Akira

Okay, dot, that made me laugh, I'll admit it...

March 15, 2013 at 1:39 pm |
    • Atheist, me?

The Aafrican village to be fed may not be near New York would it? Visit an African country and you will realise it is much bigger than u thought. Right now those poor villagers are better off than those in the West. No foreclosures or recession here!

March 15, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
    • OTOH

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day;
      Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime;
      Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

March 15, 2013 at 5:13 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Churches are the communities to begin learning Jesus' spiritual truth with like minded followers. If's when you read the Bible for your lifetime is when His truth continues to grow. Same with college. You can attend classes during the semester and only listen to what the professor teaches. If you read the text book for the course, you begin to learn more than what the professor had time to teach.

March 15, 2013 at 5:30 pm |
    • HeavenSent

It's all about fertille lands and personal growth. Let god water your seeds. The best way to do that is to kneel between his legs and wait with your mouth open to take it all in. That's what I do. Then you can really taste holy water.

March 15, 2013 at 7:20 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Phony heavensent, seeds are His truth and you unfortunately are standing on rock where nothing grows and the seeds either blew away or were eaten by birds.

March 15, 2013 at 7:35 pm |