March 20th, 2013
03:57 PM ET
'The Bible' Satan-Obama controversy
(CNN)–Erin Burnett tackles Glenn Beck's assertion that "The Bible's" Satan looks like Obama. Was it a joke or something worse?
soundoff (102 Responses)« Previous 1 2 3
About this blog
The CNN Belief Blog covers the faith angles of the day's biggest stories, from breaking news to politics to entertainment, fostering a global conversation about the role of religion and belief in readers' lives. It's edited by CNN's Daniel Burke with contributions from Eric Marrapodi and CNN's worldwide news gathering team.
This is a silly point, Satan is much older than Barry therefor Satan
can look like Barry, in fact it is Barry that looks like Satan.
it only shows how ignorant you peope are to think obama president of the USA to be satan. If obama was satan he would have never killed osma so of you nae sayers re-think the satan obama thing. im only thirteen and it seems i have more sense than to you to belive in such foolish accusations.
Wow. They don't look at all alike. Well, maybe the chin is the same. This MUST be a bunch of white people who secretly think all blacks look alike.
this is really funny to me. I never saw the Beck tweet. But come on.....he absolutely looks just like him!!
This is not only ridiculous but dangerous. Why do they do this.. let him go at this point. He is hardly Satanic. NOT to mention the picture looks more like James Coburn. What they forget to say was look at the kindness in Mr. Obama's face and eyes.. whether he is a good or "bad" president, effective or ineffective this type of propaganda is not necessary and honestly should be banned. Give it a rest already.. let the guy alone while he attempts to do his job. He can't run again anyway.. why can't everyone just work together for the GOOD of the people not the Party.
1. Any publicity can be a good thing for ratings. And Mark Burnett knows how to get lots of publicity and ratings. So Satan as Obama is just another ploy, in spite of press releases to the contrary.
2. With his Sarah Palin reality show, Burnett revealed that he was ready to make money off the far right. What better way to appeal to these so-called "real" Americans than to cast a lookalike of their archenemy as Satan?
3. Burnett and co-producer Roma Downey were unhappy with Obama, based on the fact that they donated nothing to the President's reelection campaign, even though they had contributed thousands of dollars to Obama in 2008. How much did this personal disenchantment drive their ploy?
4. Despite their "respect" for Obama, Burnett and Downey probably expected the President to lose in 2012, as did most mainstream media pundits. Was their Satan as Obama ploy meant to be an f- y– farewell to the expected loser?
5. A range of actors from Al Pacino to Elizabeth Hurley have played Satan on the silver screen. But by casting a darker-skinned, French-accented, Muslim Obama-lookalike as Satan, Burnett and Downey have revealed something about their prejudices and the prejudices of their target audience.
6. Maybe this Obama-Satan controversy will inspire more scrupulous souls to make a Bible film that transcends the stereotypes of our time and represents the best of the Book.
I noticed the resemblance before the show was even cast... so the casting made perfect sense to me.
And... I think Elizabeth Hurley should have to play more roles in Hollywood... her, Mila Kunis, Keira Knightley and Natalie Portman should basically be in every movie.
Is total Panic, they're in a total state of Panic!
The world didn't get any worse when Vikings stopped believing in Helheim, nor when Romans stopped believing in an Underworld run by Pluto, or when Zoroastrians stopped believing in Drûgâskan. Pick your cult. It likely has an imaginary place of punishment. Such is your faith.
Said Jesus and Satan temptation story was simply another myth concocted by Matthew (plagiarized from Buddhas' writings?) and later copied by Luke with a minor mention by Mark also declared to be historically nil by many contemporary NTscholars. e.g. http://www.faithfutures.org/JDB/jdb139.html
Mark was written first, then Matthew and Luke. If you don't want to believe their authenticity that's your decision, but at least base it on fact.
okay really??? this is all cnn can come up with for news? critisizing some random guys ignorant opinion on a biblical tv show? by her tone of vioce this sounds like an excuse to spike an argument against the christian community. i'm sorry but this whole video is slightly pathetic. and although obviously obama is not the antichrist, alot of people actually used to believe he was. so there is no need for her to act like he's the only american who's ever said that.