home
RSS
March 20th, 2013

'The Bible' Satan-Obama controversy

(CNN)–Erin Burnett tackles Glenn Beck's assertion that "The Bible's" Satan looks like Obama. Was it a joke or something worse?

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity

1. Michele

WOW, Erin have you no shame? You reconstructed something out of nothing, I watched that show. You are no journalist, anyone can take bits and pieces to make up anything they want...have you ever heard the word integrity, or better yet Truth.

March 20, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
  2. Sam Yaza

ok ok ok.

Satan, the Anti Christ, and Lucifer these are not the same people

I (Samyaza/Lucifer) have nothing but contempt for that sycophant Satan (Mastema) and nether of us are the anti-Christ

and if that was supposed to be me in that show, which i think it was supposed to be Mastema (i'm assuming their only on Job by now). but never the less they better at least get my Beauty right when they finally cast me. may i suggest Elizabeth Hurley, she plays me so well♥

March 20, 2013 at 6:24 pm |
    • Nikki

puhleze

March 20, 2013 at 7:35 pm |
  3. Eli

I am looking forward to enjoying the passover this year. Especially now that I have embraced Yeshua as Messiah, and received Him into my life. The full meaning of passover is so much richer to me now. May you have a wonderful passover/"Easter" celebration. Shalom

March 20, 2013 at 6:22 pm |
    • Jeremy

I like being honest, trustworthy and kind to everyone I meet every day. I work hard to love those who do not show love to me. I am generous with my time and money for those less fortunate. I do all this because it's the right thing to do and makes me happy and I am always surrounded by friends. I do not do this for any bribe or threat. I know true freedom.

March 20, 2013 at 6:48 pm |
    • Levi

Jesus was not the expected Jewish Messiah. He didn't bring peace to the Jewish people and he died on a cross, making him "cursed". He didn't fulfill other messianic expectations either. If you're a Jew I suggest you study Torah some more.

March 20, 2013 at 7:19 pm |
  4. Reality

Said Jesus and Satan temptation story was simply another myth concocted by Matthew (plagiarized from Buddhas' writings?) and later copied by Luke with a minor mention by Mark also declared to be historically nil by many contemporary NTscholars. e.g. http://www.faithfutures.org/JDB/jdb139.html

o Regarding hell, Father Edward Schillebeeckx, the famous contemporary theologian, had a different take on hell. He reasons that god does not tolerate imperfection in the spiritual realm. Therefore, any soul dying in mortal sin will simply disappear since hell the imperfect state does not exist. (assuming that there is a god and a spiritual realm).

And having Obama characterized as a satan might be a good thing when dealing with the likes of Israel, Palestine, Iran North Korea and Pakistan. Maybe the History Channel's Bible myth review will use the same guy for playing Mike the Mighty Archangel?

March 20, 2013 at 6:09 pm |
    • Ken

You're probably right on the first part. I've asked in the other tread several times who could have possibly been an "eyewitness" to such a meeting, especially when Jesus supposedly made it a point to wander off into the wilderness alone. At best, it could have been a shaman-like vision that Jesus could have experienced after so long without food, and he related that experience later to someone who maybe later related it to a Gospel writer, which makes it hearsay at the very least. Either that, or they interviewed the devil some time after the fact. Hardly something that people should consider "historical", eh?

March 20, 2013 at 6:38 pm |
  5. wallpeeler

Erin, stop editing videos to fit your meme. I urge people to see the unedited versions. Glenn Beck's radio show is a really ENTERTAINING show and they are very funny. Glenn's tv show takes up serious topics and depends on research and facts. Erin might want to watch that to learn how to present the truth.

March 20, 2013 at 6:09 pm |
    • Darrin

" Glenn's tv show takes up serious topics and depends on research and facts"

I almost fell out of my chair I was laughing so hard when I read this. 🙂

Keep dreamin wallpeeler

March 20, 2013 at 6:43 pm |
    • CharlieHorse

Come on eggpeeler, you are sounding like one of the nutbag tea party types. Beck is in it for the money! Wake up and listen to all sides to form an opinion. Beck is to the right as to what Rachel Mandow is to the left. Both are window lickers who like to kick a turd to see how long they can make it smell. And brainwash listeners like you eggpeeler! Go independent like I did and you'll start hating all these talking heads except for Dana Perino, Ainsley Earhardt, Erin Burnett, Juliet Huddy and the gorgeous Harris Faulkner. If you catch my drift?

March 20, 2013 at 11:50 pm |
  6. Brian

It is a shame that journalism has come to editing footage to make a point. Every clip shown on here was either taken out of context or edited to fit the point. As a starter I am a democrat, a voter for Bill Clinton twice, Al Gore once, and Hillary Clinton in the 2008 primary. I am not a right wing nut but have listened to Beck for a few years to hear what he has to say. He actually made fun of and mocked those that stated that President Obama was the antichrist. He set up the piece with satire and then shredded those that made the claim. However your out of context bit only shows what you want. He also called out those making the assertion that that the president was not born in the USA. I do not always agree with Beck but what your doing in the name journalism is beneath you CNN. As for Erin Burnett I will say intential deception of your viewers will come at a steep price for you. CNN we deseve better. We deserve honest reporting. Send Erin packing for knowingly putting clips together out of context and lying to the public.

March 20, 2013 at 5:56 pm |
  7. robinsaun

Whew! Thanks Erin, you're another talking head I don't need to take seriously... Such a malicious twist... disgusting journalism...

March 20, 2013 at 5:53 pm |
  8. robinsaun

Whew! Thanks Erin, you're one more talking head I don't have to take seriously...

March 20, 2013 at 5:51 pm |
  9. Greg

My family sees a resemblance but I can't say I do and I'm no fan of the President. Still, it seems like a racist comment you'd hear years ago how blacks all look alike and I think people should be more offended by that suggestion.

March 20, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
    • nocturne10

how on earth is that racist??? Saying that a human person looks like an actor portraying a spiritual being.

March 20, 2013 at 8:54 pm |
  10. Pumpkin Carving by Doris

You can easily make a lovely Charles Manson pumpkin for Halloween!
    To make it Jesus instead, do it the same way, just tilt the "X" over the forehead up a little so that it becomes a cross.

March 20, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
  11. Mike Hatch

The really scary thing is that Google has removed access to the satan-Obama look alike picture sets (you can still get to them through Bing). Apparently the Obama Gestapo got to Google.

March 20, 2013 at 4:57 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

What kind of brain-dead dipsh!t fvcking moron thinks Obama has goons to police pictures of him on the web? If he did, don't you think they'd target more obscene depictions of him? Would you have ever even heard of the "Truthers?"

March 20, 2013 at 5:46 pm |
    • Mike Hatch

Obama's "goons" are currently in the news for threatining Bengahzi survivors to silence them. Obama hires and promotes "truthers" such as Van Jones so I doubt that his "goons" would supress this theory.

March 20, 2013 at 11:21 pm |
    • redskinfan

The picture comparison is still there. I just looked at it.

March 29, 2013 at 9:45 am |
  12. Akira

Sorry. I still don't see it. Whatever.

March 20, 2013 at 4:44 pm |
  13. Muhammad is Satan

Just ask the pope.

March 20, 2013 at 4:39 pm |
    • Paul

Muhammad might have thought the pope back then was Satan too, and both of them might have thought that Jerry Falwell, Martin Luther, or some other Protestants were the Devil. Everyone seems far more willing to see Satan in their enemy then in themselves, their actions, or their allies.

March 20, 2013 at 7:26 pm |
  14. His panic

Satan is in a total state of Panic!

March 20, 2013 at 4:36 pm |
    • End Religion

Yeah, he and his buddy God are scared to see their religion dying. Bye bye!

March 20, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
  15. Total nut job

Glenn and I are like identical twins.

March 20, 2013 at 4:35 pm |
    • CharlieHorse

So I'm guessing you are single? And have "little" to offer any prospects eh?

March 20, 2013 at 11:54 pm |
  16. In Other Words

Controversy = disagreement, argument, debate, storm, hullabaloo, dispute, polemic

March 20, 2013 at 4:29 pm |
  17. CNN is losing ratings

Check out this article and videos where the whole context of what Glenn Beck is saying before you believe anything that CNN tells you. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/20/cnn-anchor-accuses-glenn-beck-of-ugly-history-of-comparing-obama-to-satan-using-selectively-edited-sound-bites/

March 20, 2013 at 4:26 pm |
  18. Quest ion

So then... Glenn Beck saw Satan?

March 20, 2013 at 4:08 pm |
    • Basically

Yes, during a seizure he had in detox many years ago.

March 20, 2013 at 4:11 pm |
    • Quest ion

OMG Basically! I didn't know that!

When was that?

Where was that?

Are Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh related?

March 20, 2013 at 4:16 pm |
    • Quest ion

Is Glenn Beck dating LiLo?

March 20, 2013 at 4:18 pm |
    • His panic

They all are in a total state of Panic, they're all Panicking!

Panic resembles Hysteria. Men can Panic, women usually suffer Hysteria but they can be equally affected by one or the other alternatively. Hysteria and Panic can cause riots, stampedes and collective behavior.

Beware of Panic, Hysteria and Collective behavior!!

I'am their Panic!

March 20, 2013 at 4:24 pm |
    • Paul

Did he use the same drugs that he used to see God?

March 20, 2013 at 7:31 pm |
  19. Jonathan

I don't see the ressemblance. Seems lilke a weak attempt to draw some controversy into the area when they have nothing else.

March 20, 2013 at 4:07 pm |
  20. Atheism is a form of Autism, more specifically Asperger Syndrome--Fact

This article clearly shows how Asperger's and Atheism can be related.

March 20, 2013 at 4:04 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

How? Your comment appears to show very poor comprehension.

March 20, 2013 at 4:09 pm |
    • Akira

Except they're not related at all...this article, Asperger's or atheism.

March 20, 2013 at 6:17 pm |
    • The real Tom

No, it doesn't. Atheism is not a FORM of autism or Aspergers, you fvking moron.

Do you have to work at being stupid or is it an inbred talent?

March 20, 2013 at 6:25 pm |
    • Paul

There is some study that suggests that people with autism are far more likely to be atheists, but that's not to say that all atheists are autistic.

March 20, 2013 at 7:37 pm |
    • Mike Hatch

The academic study indicating autism as a possible cause of atheism comes from the University of Boston in 2011. it is controversial as one might expect.

March 20, 2013 at 8:30 pm |