home
RSS
March 20th, 2013

'The Bible' Satan-Obama controversy

(CNN)–Erin Burnett tackles Glenn Beck's assertion that "The Bible's" Satan looks like Obama. Was it a joke or something worse?

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity

1. donner

And again, thank you Fox Fake News for making America's trailer trash even dumber than anyone thought possible.

March 21, 2013 at 4:31 pm |
    • Morgan

Thank you Donner! We have been waiting for your great input that contributes to our dumbness. Calling people names or implying that they are inferior does not further your cause or argument. Both sides have very intelligent people that approach problems from a different perspective. What is needed is civility and humbleness. Erin is correct in her opinion but slanted in context. Just as Glenn is correct in his opinion and slanted in context. If you don't agree with someone it doesn't mean that they are dumb. The only way to have your voice mean anything is to debate those you disagree with. That being said you cannot act like a bigot and expect others to listen to you or value your opinion. I am sure you have opinions maybe in the future try not to use hate, and you will be able to communicate your message effectively.

March 21, 2013 at 6:14 pm |
    • MikeCornelison.com

Do the world a favor and go cannibalize yourelf, Donner.

March 21, 2013 at 7:05 pm |
    • midwest rail

Why would he do that to his elf ? Word has it he has a nice elf.

March 21, 2013 at 7:08 pm |
    • Andy

Way to take Beck out of context. In every one of those clips, he never said "Obama is the anti-Christ." It is easy to make him sound that way when you take multiple 2 to 3 second clips of him. I am not really a Glenn Beck fan, but I do call bias when I see it. This is not good media reporting. This is pure commentary that is mis-quoting by taking clips out of context. You know, the devil did that, too.

March 21, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
  2. Lycidas

I watched the scene last night on the History channel and Satan looked a bit pale to me. Did they edit it from the original broadcast?

March 21, 2013 at 2:54 pm |
  3. Holdthe Profanityfool

Obama's reign "resembles" a presidency...

March 21, 2013 at 2:13 pm |
  4. Krista

I was so disappointed in Erin Burnett's handling of the Glenn Beck comparison controversy. I watched Erin on CNBC with Mark Haines and thought she was a an honest and competent reporter. The way her segment was edited to take Mr. Beck out of context is disgraceful. That coupled with the unbelievable question she asked the former first lady Laura Bush about having to tolerate Anti-Americanism and Anti-semitism for the sake of change was just disturbing. I am so glad that she left CNBC because she is obviously not the quality reporter I thought she was. I continue to enjoy all the quality reporting that CNBC has to offer without her.

March 21, 2013 at 12:50 pm |
    • donner

Glen Beck is a mindless piece of filth. And so are you if you admire him. But you already know that.

March 21, 2013 at 4:33 pm |
    • rose

you are on point! Love what u have said.

March 21, 2013 at 8:38 pm |
  5. Sharon

I don't care what he looks like, but to eliminate any doubt, please read the LEFT BEHIND book series. You'll be as terrified as I am when you see it all coming to life. Then compare Carpathian to Obama in your own mind.

March 21, 2013 at 12:39 pm |
    • The real Tom

I actually tried to read the first book in that series, just to see what it was about. What utter dreck. It's some of the most poorly written crap I've ever seen. I couldn't even finish it, it was so bad.

March 21, 2013 at 12:41 pm |
    • End Religion

Congrats Sharon, you are the mark for that con man. He targeted you and scared you, and you bought it all. He's laughing at you and spending your money on daiquiris at a Bermuda beach right now.

March 21, 2013 at 12:45 pm |
    • Akira

The "Left Behind" series?? Ha ha ha ha ha! Oh, my.

March 21, 2013 at 2:34 pm |
    • guest

Unfortunetely Sharon, the "Left Behind" stories were just fiction and not Bibical there will not be a second chance; you are living the second chance right now. According to the Bible, things will be much worse–are you prepared?

March 21, 2013 at 5:56 pm |
  6. finchvillefred

Cut and paste trash journalism. You guys are no better than NBC.

March 21, 2013 at 12:06 am |
  7. Reality

Said Jesus and Satan temptation story was simply another myth concocted by Matthew (plagiarized from Buddhas' writings?) and later copied by Luke with a minor mention by Mark also declared to be historically nil by many contemporary NTscholars. e.g. http://www.faithfutures.org/JDB/jdb139.html

Professor Marcus Borg [Jesus and Buddha: The Parallel Sayings] notes the following traditions about the Buddha that provide something of a parallel to this cluster (the Jesus temptation passages from the NT):

"Then Mara the evil one drew near to him, and said: "Let the Exalted One exercise governance, let the Blessed One rule."
    "Now what, O evil one, do you have in view, that you speak this way to me?"

"If the Exalted One were to wish the Himalayas, king of the mountains, to be gold, he might determine it to be so, and the mountains would become a mass of gold?'

The Exalted One responded: "Were the mountains all of shimmering gold, it would still not be enough for one man's wants. He that has seen suffering – how should that man succu-mb to desires?"

Then Mara the evil one thought: "The Exalted One knows me! The Blessed One knows me!" And sad and sorrowful he vanished then and there. (Samyutta Nikaya 4.2.10)

During the six years that the Bodhisattva practiced austerities, the demon followed behind him step by step, seeking an opportunity to harm him. But he found no opportunity whatsoever and went away discouraged and discontent. (Lalitavistara Sutra 18)

I thought: "Suppose I practice entirely cutting off food?' Then the deities came to me and said: "Good sir, do not practice entirely cutting off food. If you do so, we shall infuse heavenly food into the pores of your skin and you will live on that." (Majjhima Nikaya 36.27)

March 21, 2013 at 12:02 am |
  8. CharlieHorse

I agree Beck is a FAR right wing fruit cake with all of the crazy tea party nuts who will believe anything they here. But Beck got railroaded on this story. Set him up just like Rachel Maddow or Sgt Ed Shultz would. Erin you are way above those 2 toad lickers. Move onto Fox News and save your hot career Erin, PLEASE! You and Dana Perino would be a great show! Righty vs Lefty and I'll play center! Holla!

March 20, 2013 at 11:18 pm |
  9. CharlieHorse

Erin, I think your above the cut and patch tricks like they do on MSNBC. Looks like your libtard producer took a play out of Rachel Maddow's or Big Ed Schultz playbook! Check your script thoroughly after the libtard hands you the days events please! You are too hot to take a play out of Rachel Maddow's book Erin! Please please go to Fox News before it's too late!

March 20, 2013 at 11:10 pm |
    • tcinla

Always nice to have a 10-generation inbred Conservatard remind us of how ignorant ignorance has to be, to be one of you morons.

March 21, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
  10. CharlieHorse

Erin you are so flaming hot! Go to work with Fox news and get your own gig over there and you can sub on the Five at Fox roundtable with the lovely and melting hotness Dana Perino! Please Erin ditch CNN!

March 20, 2013 at 11:04 pm |
  11. Elaine

obama looks EXACTLY like satan. Get over it.pooh,pooh, sore losers.

March 20, 2013 at 10:52 pm |
    • Gerry

So when you lose, your candidate gets to be president?

March 20, 2013 at 10:56 pm |
    • Akira

Lol, Elaine. Keep reaching.

March 20, 2013 at 11:23 pm |
    • CharlieHorse

Come on Elaine, you sound like these Tea Party Clowns here in Alabama I live with! Go to church on Sunday right after a night of gambling and drinking in Mississippi! And I say Mississippi because the State of Alabama has spent millions shutting down bingo machines left and right because of these older tea party church nuts. Jesus please forgive me, and I'm seriously asking for forgiveness. Because 1/2 of my family fall into the "believe everything and every email you read and take it as the gospel! I'm sick of all hypocrites in the tea party!

March 20, 2013 at 11:42 pm |
    • redskinfan

Elaine, when did you actually meet Satan? Is he a friend of yours?

March 29, 2013 at 9:54 am |
  12. John

3. “Some of the book of Revelation crazies out there actually believe that Barack Obama is the Antichrist.”

Here’s the full context:

I was speaking with evangelical pastor John Hagee, we were headed into a break and I asked the self‑professed end‑of‑days expert about the fact that some of the Book of Revelation crazies out there actually believe that Barack Obama is the Antichrist.

“I’m not bringing it up in a separate deal. I am relating the story the very next day,” Beck said on Wednesday.

“When news follows a story, and that’s what this was at the time. This was a news story. It was in the news cycle, and CNN was reporting on it. CNN, not my show.

“I was on CNN Headline, but CNN proper was also reporting on this story. So the next day I’m recapping, I talked about it, and they make it look like again a separate time I’m bringing it up,” he explained.

March 20, 2013 at 10:00 pm |
  13. John

2. “Odds that Barack Obama is the Antichrist.”

“You might recognize that as the direct next sentence that you said in the Hagee interview,” Burguiere notes. “So what they did there is they took the same interview two consecutive sentences.”

Yes, Burnett’s production team actually split a video in two to further the narrative that Beck has long and “ugly history” of obsessing over President Obama and Satan.

“If I’m not mistaken, they are two separate camera shots, too. So it looks like a different time. But if you go back and look at it, you’ll see I’m wearing the same tie and everything else because it’s the next sentence, but they ‑‑ and this is why I say this is propaganda stuff,” Beck said.

“This is totally smear‑and‑slander. They are opening up and making it appear as something that it is absolutely not,” he added.

March 20, 2013 at 9:59 pm |
  14. John

Beck and crew played the full audio clip:

Let me ask you, because I got ‑‑ I get so much e‑mail on this and I think a lot of people do, and I’ve only got a couple of seconds. And they say, “Glenn, you in the media, you’ve got to wake up! Barack Obama’s making people faint and cry and everything else and he’s drawing people in and…” there are people, and they said this about Bill Clinton, that actually believe he might be the Antichrist.

“No chance,” John Hagee responded to Beck the time, showing that the two clearly dismissed the idea as ludicrous.

March 20, 2013 at 9:58 pm |
  15. John

Clip 1 is a sentence about an interview where you’re asking somebody about this.
    Clip 2 is the next sentence in that where they split it to make it look like they had more.
    Clip 3 is the next day. You’re reviewing the same clip of Clip 1 and Clip 2. So they have three clips of this supposed pattern of behavior that are all the same exact interview.

March 20, 2013 at 9:56 pm |
    • USMC 1371

You need to get a life if you have so much spare time on your hands.

March 21, 2013 at 7:54 am |
  16. Joe

I don't normally take the time to respond to hatchet journalism but I took the time to listen to and/or look at the transcripts of the whole conversations that the snippets were taken from.. REALLY.....it gets discouraging when you see reporters resorting to these kind of smears. This isn't necessarily just to support Glen Beck. It happens with reporters from both the RIGHT and the LEFT. It truly is up to us to try and figure out the truth, but it just keeps getting harder when you can't believe what you you hear or read from the various news agencies.

March 20, 2013 at 9:25 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

The funny thing is, with Glenn Becks history of crazy this kind of thing is actually expected out of him.

March 20, 2013 at 9:28 pm |
  17. nocturne10

this is why no one is watching CNN anymore. This is why no one trusts CNN. Absolute lies.

March 20, 2013 at 8:50 pm |
    • Jeff

CNN didn't invent the story, you idiot! A bunch of Tea Klan Christians who saw the show started doing their usual Obama freak out, Glenn Beck jumped on the bandwagon of idiots, and CNN reported that. It's a stupid story, but blame the Christians who started it.

March 20, 2013 at 9:01 pm |
    • CharlieHorse

Easy their big fella! CNN is pretty lame besides a couple of shows but they are nothing like the turds they have at MSNBC!

March 20, 2013 at 11:26 pm |
  18. Tim Shermer

So am I understanding that these people think that all skinny black men look alike?

March 20, 2013 at 8:02 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

March 20, 2013 at 8:03 pm |
  19. Becka

What??? Wow this is why I won't watch CNN anymore, getting to be a whole lot like NBC! Little snippets and edited, very edited pieces of pure BS from tapes that you took way out of context! That is it for my watching CNN. This is the topper of my doubt. Good luck Erin in your journalism, may the truth set you free, and may God have mercy on your soul Go Blaze!

March 20, 2013 at 8:01 pm |
    • Jeff

CNN didn't come up with it.

Christian viewers did and texted like crazy about it. Glenn Beck jumped on the bigot-o-bandwagon, and you blame the messenger for the opinions and behavior of Christians?

March 20, 2013 at 8:28 pm |
    • CharlieHorse

Dead on Becka! This is a play right out of Rachel Maddow and MSNBC's playbook! They cut and splice interviews or comments to fit their agenda constantly! Your above those window lickers at MSNBC Erin! Leave CNN now while you can! Fox news is calling Erin..pick up the phone babe!

March 20, 2013 at 11:22 pm |
    • Becka

Like I said the truth, all I want is the truth! Liberals hate it, but sometimes it hurts, there Glen Beck explains and shows what he said, the truth just may amaze you! I hate BS, pure and simple. Like Glen Becks says go to the source, check the information, do your homework, then decide!
      After all we are all Americans and I am one who now more then ever want the truth. Have a good day everyone one.. The truth Will set us all free! By the way Glen Beck is not with the tea party, at least if he was, he dos not stand with them anymore! I have actually never heard him tell a lie. He has a lot of news before it's news-the blaze is a pretty good sight-His motto is the truth lives here.Weather you like him or not, again I've never heard him tell a lie.. Sometimes he is so insightful that he scares me.. Anyway I know I will get flak for that, but I see him as a God loving honest man. And I like that.-Becka

March 21, 2013 at 1:47 am |
    • Akira

Did you see his little "Becktown"?

March 21, 2013 at 12:37 pm |
  20. Michele

Have you no shame Erin, That was all bits and pieces to make up what you wanted, there was no integrity or Truth in that journalism...

March 20, 2013 at 7:37 pm |
    • CharlieHorse

Michele I hate to agree with you about Erin. She is too intelligent to slum it up like Max Headroom aka Lawrence O'Donnell and Rev Owl Shaaptun at MSNBC. I think she took what the libtard producer gave her and didn't do her homework on this nom story. Sure Glenn Beck is a turd who has made millions at the hands of the Crazy Tea Party Looniea. I'm an Independent now also after this last election. If the GOP couldn't nominate a candidate to beat Obama in this toilet ridden economy they never will. I'm done with Repubs and Dems. They are all window lickers!

March 20, 2013 at 11:33 pm |