home
RSS
March 22nd, 2013

A taste of Passover recipes from around the globe

By Kat Kinsman, CNN

(CNN)–All over the world, people gather to celebrate Passover – the holiday that commemorates the Jewish people's escape from slavery in Egypt. For seven or eight days (depending on where you live), families and friends come together for festive seder meals packed with ritual foods and a few dietary restrictions (for instance, no leavened grains).

And while many traditions remain the same the world over, favorite regional recipes can bring communities closer together. Here, families from Israel, Estonia and India share a few of their favorites, courtesy of the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee, to make your celebration a little larger in spirit.

Read the full story on CNN's Eatocracy

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Food • Judaism

1. Atheist, me?

Easter is not a Pag.an festival anymore than a PC mouse is a rodent. The Anglo-Saxons called Pesach, Passover or Pasca by the name Easter because they co.inci.ded.
    Sunday has never been the Sabbath but was a day for Nazarene Jews to meet apart from the other Jewish sects for their unique rites. It became important when Gentiles who would not like to convert to Judaism joined their com.mu.nity.
    The Gentiles eventually gained sway and banned attendance at the non-de.nom.inational syna.gogues on the Sabbath c.400AD. Some Christians then began to refer to the Lord's Day as the Sabbath.

March 22, 2013 at 4:18 pm |
    • End Religion

Will you be hiding Ishtar's Egg next weekend and foolishly believing it has anything to do with your false religion?

March 22, 2013 at 4:24 pm |
    • ME II

And were did Passover come from?

March 22, 2013 at 5:07 pm |
    • ME II

where

March 22, 2013 at 5:08 pm |
    • Jim

Man 1: "Easter, the day Jesus rose from the dead. What shall we do?"

Man 2: "how about eggs?"

Man 1: "What does that have to do with Jesus?"

Man 2: "alright, we'll hide them"

Man 1: "I don't follow your logic."

Man 2: " Don't worry, there's a bunny..."

March 22, 2013 at 5:18 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Atheist, me?, you know nothing of Jesus' truth. Judaism is a man made religion that conducts the rituals of man. Not of God.

March 22, 2013 at 5:22 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I use cats occasionally in my own rituals. I mean, I have so many cats that who cares if a few disappear.

March 22, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Every time truth is posted on these articles, a fool steals handles to ensure truth is ignored. Yes, I'm referring to you phony heavensent. Judaism is a man made religion. I'd like to meet you face to face phony. I'm sure you are short.

March 22, 2013 at 5:57 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Sometimes I use raccoons when I can get them but cats are less greasy. Either way, the furballs are a nuisance.

March 22, 2013 at 6:33 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Napoleon control freak mean anything to you phony heavensent?? You must be very short.

March 22, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Sometimes "hear kitty kitty" is not a welcome sound.

March 22, 2013 at 7:13 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@real HeavenSent

You are getting trolled due to your constant bigoted and hateful trolling here. If you can't take the repercussions of your hateful mindset, then the internet is the wrong place for you to be.

March 22, 2013 at 7:15 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Get a life hawaiiguest, If anyone is the bigots on this blog it's you atheists. The way of the atheists .... do as we say as we allow chaos to rule supreme.

March 22, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
    • HeavenSent

hawaiiguest, I am getting trolled because there is no such thing as fair play in the book of non rules by atheists.

March 22, 2013 at 7:42 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I am Supreme Leader to my cats.

March 22, 2013 at 7:42 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Well phony, I have to go.

March 22, 2013 at 8:03 pm |
  2. Atheist, me?

Easter is not a Pagan festival anymore than a PC mouse is a rodent. The Anglo-Saxons called Pesach, Passover or Pasca by the name Easter because they coincided.
    Sunday has never been the Sabbath but was a day for Nazarene Jews to meet apart from the other Jewish sects for their unique rites. It became important when Gentiles who would not like to convert to Judaism joined their community.
    The Gentiles eventually gained sway and banned attendance at the non-denominational synagogues on the Sabbath c4th century AD. Some Christians then began to refer to the Lord's Day as the Sabbath.

March 22, 2013 at 3:54 pm |
    • bobk52

Jewish food tastes like crap !!!!!!!!!!!

March 22, 2013 at 3:58 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Sure.
      Just like how Christmas coinciding with Saturnalia and various pagan solstice celebrations is purely coincidental.
      Nothing at all to do with gaining converts.
      Christmas trees? Perfectly legit to celebrate Jesus's birthday, even with the bible passage specifically condemning it at a pagan pracitce.

March 22, 2013 at 4:12 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Easter is a pagan festival, brought into the church setting to appease the pagans as the early Christians converted them over to Jesus' truth.

March 22, 2013 at 5:25 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I have so many cats anyway, so no one notices if a few disappear. The furballs can be a pain though.

March 22, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Phony heavensent, you prove why your Christian wife dumped your sorry butt.

March 22, 2013 at 5:59 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Doc Vestibule, Jesus was conceived December 25th. True Christians celebrate that His soul came into the world. If it coincided with a pagan ritual ... so be it. Or, Amen to you.

March 22, 2013 at 6:03 pm |

March 22, 2013 at 6:30 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I bet you wear lifts in those shoes phony heavensent. LOL.

March 22, 2013 at 6:46 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Stealing is obviously your forte phony heavensent. Stealing, lying, pretending you know your job, what you post .... just to mention a few. How do we spell miserable? P-h-o-n-y h-e-a-v-e-n-s-e-n-t.

March 22, 2013 at 6:53 pm |
    • The real Tom

HS, you invite the trouble you get. And you deserve it.

March 22, 2013 at 6:59 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Sometimes "Here Kitty Kitty" is not a welcome sound.

March 22, 2013 at 7:14 pm |
    • HeavenSent

The real Tom. "invite the trouble". Mmmhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, is that anything like blaming the victim for why criminals commit crimes? I'm shaking my head how lost you folks truly are.

March 22, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
    • HeavenSent

My cats never blame me. They can't once they're food.

March 22, 2013 at 8:03 pm |
    • The real Tom

"I'm shaking my head..."

I knew I heard rattling.

March 22, 2013 at 11:45 pm |
  3. Alias

Actually he didn't.
    Hitler was a vegitarian and frequenly flatulent.
    I would think a sensational butthole would have held it in better.

March 22, 2013 at 3:34 pm |
  4. Alias

That is really twisted and sick.
    I'm going to use it, thanks!

March 22, 2013 at 3:20 pm |
  5. Box

Dock your Dong D'Squarius Johnson, you are a runner and shall be terminated and frozen as per normal storage procedure.

March 22, 2013 at 3:18 pm |
  6. Thoth

Yes, let's celebrate an event that most all historians and archaeologists say never happened. Let's celebrate a story about the judeo-christian god's method of getting what he wants – 10 plagues – the last of which, murder of innocent children. What a guy that god of yours.......

March 22, 2013 at 2:34 pm |
    • Box

I was here then as I am now, forever counting. Forever collecting. The children must be frozen now as they were then. Sea greens, the great bounty of the sea. All things must be collected and counted.

March 22, 2013 at 2:42 pm |
  7. Box

Food stuffs provide sustenance and brain stuffs cloud judgment. I am thrilling to behold am I not? Eat and breathe my rarified air. Nurture your body and free your mind. It will not hurt for long.

March 22, 2013 at 1:51 pm |
  8. The Real Deal

Superst'ition:

a : a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation
    b : an irrational abject att'itude of mind toward the supernatural, nature, or God resulting from superst'ition

March 22, 2013 at 1:20 pm |
  9. Ah, the Bible!

Passover: when god had no idea if you were Jewish of not and told you to smear blood on the door to tell him.

March 22, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Due to Pharoah ordering that every Jewish male be slaughtered. God didn't need a road map. God just wanted to see if man would obey. You really don't comprehend God's tests in life do you?

March 22, 2013 at 5:28 pm |
    • Check

HeavenSent:
      " God just wanted to see if man would obey. "

Ah, so he didn't already know if they would or not?

Scratch "omniscient" from your list of alleged attributes for this god. Check.

March 22, 2013 at 5:35 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I do my best god imitation on my cats. I don't like the black ones anyway.

March 22, 2013 at 5:43 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Check, He knew. He just gives us every opportunity to get it.

March 22, 2013 at 6:05 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Phony heavensent has no pets. Why? Because it's all about him, him,. him.

March 22, 2013 at 6:07 pm |
    • HeavenSent

We Christians excel at stealing. Look at all the other lines we've stolen from other less fortunate people. What's a few missing cats between my lips anyway?

March 22, 2013 at 6:31 pm |
  10. Box

For Passover; Fish, and plankton. And sea greens, and protein from the sea. It's all here, ready. Fresh as harvest day. Fish and sea greens, plankton and protein from the sea. And then it stopped coming. And they came instead. So I store them here. I'm ready. And you're ready. It's my job. To freeze you.

March 22, 2013 at 1:01 pm |
    • meifumado

Hey your that guy from the movie "Logan's Run"

PROTEIN, PLANKTON AND FISH FROM THE SEA!!

March 22, 2013 at 3:07 pm |
    • Archibald Smythe-Pennington, III

There just isn't anything else as important in the world as good food and music – right meif?

March 22, 2013 at 3:10 pm |
    • Box

Regular storage procedure. The same as the other food. The other food stopped coming. And they started.

March 22, 2013 at 3:14 pm |
    • meifumado

You got that right Arch! and good movies!

March 22, 2013 at 3:28 pm |
    • meifumado

Its funny how the two lines I remember best from that film are "protein, plankton and fish from the sea" and "Run runner!"

March 22, 2013 at 3:31 pm |
    • meifumado

Have not seen that film in like 20 years, downloading it right now, Thanks box =)

March 22, 2013 at 3:34 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Seafood is great and all, but I prefer Soylent Green, even though they never list the ingredients on the box...

March 22, 2013 at 3:51 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Doc Vestibule, some day it may be you.

March 22, 2013 at 5:30 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Jesus knew what to eat at the Last Supper. As for me, I feast carnally whenever I can but sometimes I have to take what I can reach. I have so many cats that no one notices when one goes missing anyway.

March 22, 2013 at 5:39 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Phony heavensent, no wonder why your county threw your butt out.

March 22, 2013 at 6:09 pm |
    • HeavenSent

My butt keeps getting wider, and my cats have been getting fewer. Coincidence, I think not.

March 22, 2013 at 6:34 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Phony, you're too lost for my taste. Thank you Jesus. LOL.

March 22, 2013 at 7:50 pm |
  11. Roger that

Passover: The day we celebrate the slaughter of innocent children. Let's have a feast.

March 22, 2013 at 12:58 pm |
    • Chuckles

Preciscely. God was like "Well I realize that the hebrews have been enslaved for centuries, I guess I feel sort of bad about it. I mean, they are the chosen people afterall. Guess I'll go kill a couple of babies... nope, better make that all the first born babies just to be safe. What? Pharoh is upset I killed his kid? Better harden his heart so he'll run after the Hebrews and kill more Egyptians. That Pharoh! What a rube!"

March 22, 2013 at 1:07 pm |
    • Box

You don't have to die! No one has to die at 30! You could live! LIVE! Live, and grow old! I've seen it!

March 22, 2013 at 1:41 pm |
    • sam

Box, are you quoting from Logan's Run?

March 22, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
    • meifumado

He is, I picked up on that to.

March 22, 2013 at 3:09 pm |
    • Box

sam and meifumado

🙂
      cs

March 22, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Bad try Roger, since Jesus is our (MEANING EVERYONE'S) passover.

March 22, 2013 at 7:51 pm |
  12. Reality

Now for some kosher "food for thought":

Only for the diets of new members of this blog-

origin: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20E1EFE35540C7A8CDDAA0894DA404482 NY Times review and important enough to reiterate.

New Torah For Modern Minds

“Abraham, the Jewish patriarch, probably never existed. Nor did Moses. (prob•a•bly
    Adverb: Almost certainly; as far as one knows or can tell).

The entire Exodus story as recounted in the Bible probably never occurred. The same is true of the tumbling of the walls of Jericho. And David, far from being the fearless king who built Jerusalem into a mighty capital, was more likely a provincial leader whose reputation was later magnified to provide a rallying point for a fledgling nation.

Such startling propositions - the product of findings by archaeologists digging in Israel and its environs over the last 25 years - have gained wide acceptance among non-Orthodox rabbis. But there has been no attempt to disseminate these ideas or to discuss them with the laity - until now.

The United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, which represents the 1.5 million Conservative Jews in the United States, has just issued a new Torah and commentary, the first for Conservatives in more than 60 years. Called "Etz Hayim" ("Tree of Life" in Hebrew), it offers an interpretation that incorporates the latest findings from archaeology, philology, anthropology and the study of ancient cultures. To the editors who worked on the book, it represents one of the boldest efforts ever to introduce into the religious mainstream a view of the Bible as a human rather than divine doc-ument.

The notion that the Bible is not literally true "is more or less settled and understood among most Conservative rabbis," observed David Wolpe, a rabbi at Sinai Temple in Los Angeles and a contributor to "Etz Hayim." But some congregants, he said, "may not like the stark airing of it." Last Passover, in a sermon to 2,200 congregants at his synagogue, Rabbi Wolpe frankly said that "virtually every modern archaeologist" agrees "that the way the Bible describes the Exodus is not the way that it happened, if it happened at all." The rabbi offered what he called a "LITANY OF DISILLUSION”' about the narrative, including contradictions, improbabilities, chronological lapses and the absence of corroborating evidence. In fact, he said, archaeologists digging in the Sinai have "found no trace of the tribes of Israel - not one shard of pottery."

March 22, 2013 at 12:11 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Reality, where's the atheist bible? All talk, no production

March 22, 2013 at 7:54 pm |
    • Reality

Conservative Jews in the USA have rewritten the Torah to reflect the myths therein basically making it a doc-ument of rational thought.

Thomas Jefferson did an analogous rewrite of the NT. Ditto for the rewrite of the NT by the Jesus Seminarians, Professor JD Crossan in his over 20 books on the historical Jesus and related subjects and Professor Gerd Ludeman in his book, Jesus After 2000 Years, p. 694-695.

And then for a short form:

The Apostles' / Agnostics’/Atheists' Creed 2013 (updated by yours truly based on the studies of NT historians and theologians of the past 200 years)

Should I believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
      and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
      human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven?????

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
      preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
      named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
      girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
      the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
      a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
      Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
      many semi-fiction writers. A bodily resurrection and
      ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
      Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
      grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
      and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
      called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen
      (References used are available upon request.)

March 22, 2013 at 11:55 pm |
  13. Gefilte Fish

Kosher Roquefort cheese was down with Manishewitz, apply Preperation H, Oy Vey.

March 22, 2013 at 12:06 pm |
  14. Universe

God in Quran says, (Islamic scripture)

“They even attribute to Him sons and daughters, without any knowledge. Be He glorified. He is the Most High, far above their claims.” Quran [6:100]

“The example of Jesus, as far as GOD is concerned, is the same as that of Adam; He created him from dust, then said to him, "Be," and he was.” Quran [3:59]

‘They said, "You have to be Jewish or Christian, to be guided." Say, "We follow the religion of Abraham – monotheism – he never was an idol worshiper." [2:135]

“Proclaim, He is the One and only GOD. The Absolute GOD. Never did He beget. Nor was He begotten. None equals Him." [112:1]

“The Messiah, son of Mary is no more than a messenger like the messengers before him, and his mother was a saint. Both of them used to eat the food. Note how we explain the revelations for them, and note how they still deviate!” [5:75]

“It does not befit God that He begets a son, be He glorified. To have anything done, He simply says to it, "Be," and it is.” [19:35]

“No soul can carry the sins of another soul. If a soul that is loaded with sins implores another to bear part of its load, no other soul can carry any part of it, even if they were related. ... [35:18]

“They do not value God as He should be valued. God is the Most Powerful, the Almighty.”[22:74]

“If you obey the majority of people on earth, they will divert you from the path of God. They follow only conjecture; they only guess.” [Quran 6:116]

“There shall be no compulsion in religion: the right way is now distinct from the wrong way. Anyone who denounces the devil and believes in God has grasped the strongest bond; one that never breaks. God is Hearer, Omniscient.” [2:256]

Thanks for taking time to read my post. Please take a moment to clear your misconception by going to whyIslam org website.

March 22, 2013 at 11:52 am |
    • Reality

Now for the horror and terror caused by the koran and its followers:

As the koranic/mosque driven acts of terror and horror continue:

The Muslim Conquest of India – 11th to 18th century

■"The likely death toll is somewhere between 2 million and 80 million. The geometric mean of those two limits is 12.7 million. "

and the 19 million killed in the Mideast Slave Trade 7C-19C by Muslims.

and more recently

1a) 179 killed in Mumbai/Bombay, 290 injured

1b) Assassination of Benazir Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh

2) 9/11, 3000 mostly US citizens, 1000’s injured

3) The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US troops killed in action, 3,480 and 928 in non combat roles. 102,522 – 112,049 Iraqi civilians killed as of 9/16/2011/, mostly due to suicide bombers, land mines and bombs of various types, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf

4) Kenya- In Nairobi, about 212 people were killed and an estimated 4000 injured; in Dar es Salaam, the attack killed at least 11 and wounded 85.[2]

5) Bali-in 2002-killing 202 people, 164 of whom were foreign nationals, and 38 Indonesian citizens. A further 209 people were injured.

6) Bali in 2005- Twenty people were killed, and 129 people were injured by three bombers who killed themselves in the attacks.

7) Spain in 2004- killing 191 people and wounding 2,050.

8. UK in 2005- The bombings killed 52 commuters and the four radical Islamic suicide bombers, injured 700.

9) The execution of an eloping couple in Afghanistan on 04/15/2009 by the Taliban.

10) – Afghanistan: US troops 1,385 killed in action, 273 killed in non-combat situations as of 09/15/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror

11) The killing of 13 citizen soldiers at Ft. Hood by a follower of the koran.

12) 38 Russian citizens killed on March 29, 2010 by Muslim women suicide bombers.

13) The May 28, 2010 attack on a Islamic religious minority in Pakistan, which have left 98 dead,

14) Lockerbie is known internationally as the site where, on 21 December 1988, the wreckage of Pan Am Flight 103 crashed as a result of a terrorist bomb. In the United Kingdom the event is referred to as the Lockerbie disaster, the Lockerbie bombing, or simply Lockerbie. Eleven townspeople were killed in Sherwood Crescent, where the plane's wings and fuel tanks plummeted in a fiery explosion, destroying several houses and leaving a huge crater, with debris causing damage to a number of buildings nearby. The 270 fatalities (259 on the plane, 11 in Lockerbie) were citizens of 21 nations.

15 The daily suicide and/or roadside and/or mosque bombings in the terror world of Islam.

16) Bombs sent from Yemen by followers of the koran which fortunately were discovered before the bombs were detonated.

17) The killing of 58 Christians in a Catholic church in one of the latest acts of horror and terror in Iraq.

18) Moscow airport suicide bombing: 35 dead, 130 injured. January 25, 2011.

19) A Pakistani minister, who had said he was getting death threats because of his stance against the country's controversial blasphemy law, was shot and killed Wednesday, 3/2/2011

20) two American troops killed in Germany by a recently radicalized Muslim, 3/3/2011

21) the kidnapping and apparent killing of a follower of Zoraster in the dark world of Islamic Pakistan.

22) Shariatpur, Bangladesh (CNN 3/30/2011) - Hena Akhter's last words to her mother proclaimed her innocence. But it was too late to save the 14-year-old girl. Her fellow villagers in Bangladesh's Shariatpur district had already passed harsh judgment on her. Guilty, they said, of having an affair with a married man. The imam from the local mosque ordered the fatwa, or religious ruling, and the punishment: 101 lashes delivered swiftly, deliberately in public. Hena dropped after 70 and died a week later.

23) "October 4, 2011, 100 die as a truck loaded with drums of fuel exploded Tuesday at the gate of compound housing several government ministries on a busy Mogadishu street. It was the deadliest single bombing carried out by the al Qaeda-linked al-Shabab group in Somalia since their insurgency began. "

o 24) Mon Jun 4, 2012 10:18am EDT
      o
      BAGHDAD (Reuters) – A suicide bomber detonated an explosive-packed car outside a Shi'ite Muslim office in central Baghdad on Monday, killing at least 26 people and wounding more than 190 in an attack bearing the hallmarks of Iraq's al Qaeda affiliate.
      The bombing on a Shi'ite religious office comes at a sensitive time, with the country's fractious Shi'ite, Sunni and Kurdish blocs locked in a crisis that threatens to unravel their power-sharing deal and spill into sectarian tensions."

25) BURGAS, Bulgaria | Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:27am EDT

(Reuters) – A suicide bomber carried out an attack that killed seven people in a bus transporting Israeli tourists in Bulgaria, the interior minister said on Thursday, and Israel said Iranian-backed Hezbollah militants were to blame.

26 ) September 12, 2012
      U.S. AMBASSADOR KILLED
      Envoy to Libya dies in rocket blast

March 22, 2013 at 12:09 pm |
    • meifumado

We have no misconceptions of your hateful beliefs.

Here is how Islam views women.
      Qur'an (2:228) – "and the men are a degree above them
      Qur'an (24:31) – Women are to lower their gaze around men, so they do not look them in the eye.
      Qur'an (2:223) – "Your wives are as a tilth unto you; so approach your tilth when or how ye will..."
      Sura (2:222) “They ask thee concerning women's courses. Say: They are a hurt and a pollution: So keep away from women in their courses, and do not approach them until they are clean.”
      Sura 4:43 “Muslims, draw not near unto prayer…(if) ye have touched women…then go to high clean soil and rub your face and your hands.”
      Bukhari (48:826)

Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri:
      The Prophet said, "Isn't the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?" The women said, "Yes." He said, "This is because of the deficiency of a woman's mind."

And there is so much more

Funny your site should be called whywouldanyonewithhalfabrainchooseislam.

March 22, 2013 at 3:21 pm |
  15. guest

Why do Christians celebrate Easter? Easter is a pagan holiday, not the celebration of the resurrection of Jesus. So some want to change the name to 'Resurrection Sunday'; why Sunday? Sunday is the day to worship the pagan Sun God. There is no place in the Bible that athorizes worshipi God on Sunday, the Greek Christians stated to worship on Sunday because they didn't want to be associated with the Roman persecution of the Jews.

March 22, 2013 at 11:19 am |
    • Topher

guest

"Why do Christians celebrate Easter? Easter is a pagan holiday, not the celebration of the resurrection of Jesus."

It is the Sunday after Good Friday, the day we celebrate the resurrection. It has more to do with the Jewish holiday of Passover than it does with pagan holidays.

"So some want to change the name to 'Resurrection Sunday'; why Sunday?"

Because He rose on a Sunday.

"Sunday is the day to worship the pagan Sun God"

So what?

"There is no place in the Bible that athorizes worshipi God on Sunday, the Greek Christians stated to worship on Sunday because they didn't want to be associated with the Roman persecution of the Jews."

The sabbath was changed from Saturday to Sunday to celebrate Jesus defeat of death.

March 22, 2013 at 11:29 am |
    • Reality

Now for the nitty gritty:

Saving Christians from the Infamous Resurrection Con/

From that famous passage: In 1 Corinthians 15: 14, Paul reasoned, "If Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith."

To wit;

From a major Catholic university's theology professor’s grad school white-board notes:

Jesus and Mary's bodies are therefore not in Heaven.

Only Luke records it. (Luke mentions it in his gospel and Acts, i.e. a single attestation and therefore historically untenable). The Ascension ties Jesus' mission to Pentecost and missionary activity of Jesus' followers.

The Assumption has multiple layers of symbolism, some are related to Mary's special role as "Christ bearer" (theotokos). It does not seem fitting that Mary, the body of Jesus' Virgin-Mother (another biblically based symbol found in Luke 1) would be derived by worms upon her death. Mary's assumption also shows God's positive regard, not only for Christ's male body, but also for female bodies." "

The Vatican quickly embellished this story with a lot CYAP.

With respect to rising from the dead, we also have this account:

An added note: As per R.B. Stewart in his introduction to the recent book, The Resurrection of Jesus, Crossan and Wright in Dialogue,

p.4

p.168. by Ted Peters:

Even so, asking historical questions is our responsibility. Did Jesus really rise from the tomb? Is it necessary to have been raised from the tomb and to appear to his disciples in order to explain the rise of early church and the transcription of the bible? Crossan answers no, Wright answers, yes. "

So where are the bones"? As per Professor Crossan's analyses in his many books, the body of Jesus would have ended up in the mass graves of the crucified, eaten by wild dogs, covered with lime in a shallow grave, or under a pile of stones.

March 22, 2013 at 12:13 pm |
    • The Wonderous Story

As the Bible says, three days after Good Friday, on Sunday . . . okay, don't do the math . . . the following non-contradictory event occurred:

A. Three women went to the tomb and found it open, no body, and a young man in white inside who told them Jesus rose. The women run away and tell no one.

B. Two women go to the tomb, experience an earthquake as an angel comes down to roll away the rock that was already gone in the first story. Angel tells them Jesus is risen and go tell the Disciples they will see Jesus later, which they happily do. The soldiers appearing in this version only flee the angel and are bribed by Jewish clergy to lie about disciples stealing the body (big hint as to what really happened).

C. Four or more women come and find open cave and no body. Two men appear by them who say Jesus left already. They tell the disciples, who except for Peter don't believe them. Peter finds empty tomb and grave clothes (Jesus apparently streaked away). Jesus later apprears to disciples, who don't recognize him, and he later bips in for dinner.

D. One woman goes to the tomb and finds stone rolled away. Leaves. Tells Peter, who goes to the tomb and finds nothing. Jesus hangs out with Mary, then shows up for dinner.

March 22, 2013 at 1:37 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Topher
      Bunnies, painted eggs etc. are the last vestiges of the pagan celebrations against which Christianiry competed in its early days.
      Cybele, the Phrygian fertility goddess, had a consort, Attis, who was believed to have been born via a virgin birth. Attis was believed to have died and been resurrected each year during a three day period at the end of March.
      Sound familiar?
      Well before Easter was associated with the zombification of your deity, it was a widely celebrated pagan holiday marking the rebirth and renewal of spring. The very word "Easter" comes from the Saxon goddess Eastre and the Teutonic dawn goddess of fertility, Eastra.

March 22, 2013 at 1:47 pm |
    • Alias

@Doc
      So long as I get my chocolate and jelly beans, should I even care?
      what's important here?

March 22, 2013 at 3:27 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Doc, satan's 5% lies to create doubt in Jesus' scriptures worked for you. Try giving that polished apple when you meet Jesus.

March 22, 2013 at 6:13 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Just keep quiet about my missing cats, whatever else you say there.

March 22, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
    • Decomosition

Wonderous
      After being dead for three days with the bloating, rigor and maggots chawing away, who would recognize a lurching, mumbling zombie as a divine being; someone in a delusion or high?

March 22, 2013 at 6:49 pm |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

Heavensent: I'd ask how ignorant one can be but then again, I am speaking about you. Why is it you so readily dismiss all other beliefs as being wrong and then ask us to believe you? First off the whole Easter thing is crazy...why the hell celebrate a murder?? Does that not seem slightly morbid to you?
      Second; It wasn't much of a sacrifice if he reappeared 3 days later.
      It's people like you who make christianity seem even more bat shit crazy than it already is.
      (and before you spew it, I know I'm an evil person going to hell.....wherever you're not works for me 🙂 )

March 22, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
  16. Topher

This is the news we get today?

When not something important .... like this?

March 22, 2013 at 11:18 am |
    • The real Tom

What I want to know is what did the professor say to the class after they stomped on the papers. We don't know the whole story. If you find out what the purpose of the exercise was, post it.

From the information that is given here, it doesn't seem right that the student is being punished for speaking out, but I'd like to know more details about how the student addressed the professor and when he did so–did he interrupt and disrupt the class to raise his objections, or did he wait to voice his concern until the end of the class?

March 22, 2013 at 11:43 am |
    • Topher

The real Tom

Good questions. If I ever hear more, I'll post it. Somehow, I doubt we'll hear anything else. I'm sure a university — who, according to this story has professors that deny that Sandy Hook happened — will try to sweep this under the rug.

I can't imagine "stomping" on the name of Jesus will result in anything positive.

March 22, 2013 at 11:48 am |
    • ME II

@Topher,
      I don't think anyone, especially college students, have any right to not be offended.

I don't know exactly what happened in this case, but I suspect that had the student simply refused, stated his complaint as he did, and moved on, then he wouldn't be suspended. As it is it seems he is escalating the issue by taking it to the department head.
      And notice that, apparently, he was not suspended because of the incident alone, or at least that seems to be the implication from, "since the incident, he has been suspended from the class."

As for the professor (singular) that denies Sandyhook... he's obviously incorrect and possibly delusional, but that has nothing to do with this incident, does it?

March 22, 2013 at 1:24 pm |
    • The real Tom

Topher, sounds like you are suspi cious of college professors in general and are assuming that because another one at the same university made a bonehead contention, they're all terrible. You don't know what the professor who had students engage in the exercise described was going to demonstrate after he instructed them to stomp on the paper. There may very well have been a quite interesting premise at work in his lecture, and instead of withholding judgment to see what it was, the student jumped to the conclusion that he was going to insult religion.

He might have been, but it's just as possible his point was something else entirely. The professor was using the tactic to grab students' attention to some aspect of the subject.

That's what education is for-listening to new ideas and new ways of thinking about a subject. If you don't want to do that, why go to college at all? If all you want professors to do is reinforce and agree with your understanding and point of view about a subject, college is a waste of time.

March 22, 2013 at 3:03 pm |
    • The real Tom

The fact that you "can't imagine that stomping on the name of Jesus will result in anything positive" isn't surprising in the slightest. The fact that you're not even curious about what the point might have been made is telling.

March 22, 2013 at 3:05 pm |

Yes, it wastes them.

March 22, 2013 at 12:02 pm |
    • obvious

No prayer enlivens them.

March 22, 2013 at 12:29 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

obvious. It may be a kind of placebo effect that comforts the person so that they feel they've taken some action, but prayer does not affect events.

March 22, 2013 at 12:58 pm |
    • HeavenSense

Hi Prayerbot.

March 22, 2013 at 1:03 pm |
    • Jesus

March 22, 2013 at 1:18 pm |
    • Really?

"Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things"

March 22, 2013 at 1:19 pm |
    • Really?

"Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things"

That's why the data, has shown that atheists have happier and healthier lives than conservative Christians. Your post is built on a lie!.

March 22, 2013 at 1:20 pm |
  19. End Religion

The cake is a lie.

March 22, 2013 at 11:01 am |
    • obvious

When the angel of death comes he will not pass over you !

March 22, 2013 at 11:12 am |
    • .

Make sure to paind your doorjambs with lamb blood. Happy Easter!

March 22, 2013 at 12:01 pm |
    • obvious

Now"paind" only works if you first believe. By the way where do you get your" paind?"

March 22, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
    • .

Typo. Didn't spell check. Fuck off, anal-retentive Nazi troll.

March 22, 2013 at 12:53 pm |
  20. Palm Sunday

Palm Sunday and Passover

March 22, 2013 at 10:55 am |
    • moi

The lamb that takes away the sins of the world.

March 22, 2013 at 1:54 pm |
    • ..

orship liturgical resources.

Lamb of God, you take away the sin of the world, have mercy on us.
      Lamb of God, you take away the sin of the world, have mercy on us.
      Lamb of God, you take away the sin of the world, grant us peace.

March 22, 2013 at 3:28 pm |
    • Alias

So, doesn't that imply some of us need to sin? So the lamb will have something to do?

March 22, 2013 at 3:31 pm |