home
RSS
March 22nd, 2013

A taste of Passover recipes from around the globe

By Kat Kinsman, CNN

(CNN)–All over the world, people gather to celebrate Passover – the holiday that commemorates the Jewish people's escape from slavery in Egypt. For seven or eight days (depending on where you live), families and friends come together for festive seder meals packed with ritual foods and a few dietary restrictions (for instance, no leavened grains).

And while many traditions remain the same the world over, favorite regional recipes can bring communities closer together. Here, families from Israel, Estonia and India share a few of their favorites, courtesy of the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee, to make your celebration a little larger in spirit.

Read the full story on CNN's Eatocracy

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Food • Judaism

1. HeavenSent

God made cats to be a protein resource for us. That's why they have such fecundity. When you have as many cats as I do anyway, what's a few down the hatch? I guess god didn't think through the furball problem though. I hate it when the furballs stick in my craw.

March 24, 2013 at 11:29 am |
  2. Daniel

Yeshua made me kosher. I was burdened down with the wieght of sin before, but now since I have received Yeshua/Jesus as the Messiah of Israel, my own Savior, I feel so clean before the Lord. The weight has been lifted and I can enjoy His peace and His presence at all times. May you also be "Kosher" before the Lord through Yeshua. Shalom

March 23, 2013 at 9:11 pm |
    • End Religion

All you needed was a shower. You had no sin, it's just guilt that religion tells you that you should have and then they offer you a way to get rid of the guilt. It's a scam. Don't be so childish. Grow up.

March 23, 2013 at 9:25 pm |
    • HeavenSent

March 24, 2013 at 11:29 am |
  3. LAST DAY

Jesus Water / Jesus Blood

Your Choice – Spring Special – 65% Off!

4 oz./7 oz. Gold Decorative Bottles

UNIVERSAL MAGNIFICENT MIRACLES!

March 23, 2013 at 4:24 pm |
  4. LAST DAY

The long awaited and anticipated "Son of David"

has already come with the true Salvation

for all Jews, Christians, Arabs, all Nations on earth,

here now:

UNIVERSAL MAGNIFICENT MIRACLES!

There is only one real GOD and His one true RELIGION for all!

March 23, 2013 at 3:23 pm |
  5. I love God

He makes great tasting food and beautiful scenery.

March 23, 2013 at 2:25 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

What about the poisons he manufactures and the deadly landscapes in abundance?

March 23, 2013 at 3:07 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

and what about the plagues, and diseases, famines...

what about his creation known as Satan...

March 23, 2013 at 4:43 pm |
  6. Atheist, me?

Austin thanks so much for the education. That was insightful. Keep up the good work. I love you as myself.

Erasmus
    Personally I think it is high time we put up the Greatest Commandments themselves and stop pretending they are a summary of the Ten Commandments. It only leads to mockery from non-xtians and hard-heartedness from Xtians.
    1) love God with all your life
    2)love your neighbor as yourself
    NB 2=1 but 1#2 according to the NT
    the only way to obey the first is to obey the second but saying u r obeying the first does not mean you are obeying the second.

March 22, 2013 at 11:49 pm |
    • Ken

Austin
      Would you accept a Jewish person's judgment that you were a "sinner" for eating a lobster? No, because you are a Christian, and not a Jew, correct? Then you understand why we reject your judgment that we are "sinners" simply because of the fact that we are not Christians.

March 23, 2013 at 12:28 am |

Ken
      Sin is transgression of the Torah given to Moses so no Christian can rightly claim that anyone is a sinner when he does not transgress the law.
      p.s. I am not Austin. He's American and I' m Ghanaian.

March 23, 2013 at 4:49 am |
    • Atheist, me?

The Sabbath has been on Saturday for Christians who care to observe it. However most Gentile Xtians do not wish to be Jews too. As far as I know it is only a few minor xtian sects and quasi-xtian cults which erroneously declare Sunday as the Sabbath

March 23, 2013 at 4:59 am |
    • End Religion

Moses didn't exist.

March 23, 2013 at 12:18 pm |
    • Ken

Atheist, me?

I could have swore that I was commenting on something Austin had said about sin. Must have disappeared into the vortex, like a lot of other posts around here, I suppose.

Jesus supposedly just told people to follow the Golden Rule. Paul, ever the pious Jew, still had his opinions about proper conduct. I consider people who live like Pharisees, concerned over the letter of the Law as the Christian Right defines it, to be following Paul, and not Jesus. Jesus was a liberal.

March 23, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
  7. Atheist, me?

Sunday was chosen by the Nazarene Jews aka Jewish Christians as a day for their denomination's worship. This is because all synagogues of the time were non-denominational.
    When eventually Gentiles who did not wish to be Jewish Xtians took over the Church they banned synagogue attendance by Xtians. This made Sabbath worship redundant. Some misguided xtians then called the Lord's Day ,Sunday, the Sabbath.
    However the Bible allows both days for Christian worship. Saturday at the synagogue with other Jews. Sunday for Christians-Jew and Gentile alike.

March 22, 2013 at 10:50 pm |
    • Larry

Austin
      That's an argument for having Easter fall on a Sunday, but not an argument for shifting the weekly Sabbath.

March 23, 2013 at 1:48 am |
    • Austin

thats true Larry that the Sabbath is fri sun down to sat sun down. this could go for resurrection sunday or just church

March 23, 2013 at 8:37 am |
    • Larry

Austin
      So, Christians the world over aren't actually obeying the Commandment concerning the Sabbath. I wonder how that argument would go over in places where there are still Blue Laws against opening bars on Sunday?

March 23, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
  8. 8 to 9 out of 10 to12 or less Bloggers Agree

The inevitable possible decline of the Belief Blog, predicted by the Central Scrutinizer every three – five months, is definitely, maybe coming to a pass now or later if it happens.

March 22, 2013 at 9:36 pm |
  9. End Religion

Religious Delusion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_delusion

March 22, 2013 at 7:56 pm |
  10. HeavenSent

What's a little collateral eating matter when you have so many felines?

March 22, 2013 at 7:46 pm |
  11. End Religion

Why did god r@pe his own mother to give birth to himself? It seems a little rude and illogical, doesn't it??

March 22, 2013 at 7:42 pm |
    • Atheist, me?

God did not do anything without Mary's consent. Read fool.

March 22, 2013 at 10:58 pm |
    • how old is ER

17?

March 22, 2013 at 11:25 pm |
    • End Religion

Hello, McFly? She was 13 and too young to consent. Not only did your god r@pe his own mom to give birth to himself, you somehow find this virtuous and worthy of worship. Twisted heathen Christians, it is nice to know your religion is fading into obscurity.

March 22, 2013 at 11:45 pm |

End Religion & co
      13?
      I thought we couldn't determine if Christ existed. How did u know Mary's age then?
      Besides Mary's friendship with Elizabeth, John the Baptist's mother means she was more mature than that.
      Besides I live in Africa n can tell u for a fact that until good nutrition became the norm it was rare for a 15 yr old girl to menstruate let alone the ages you mention. Why do u think most coming of age rites are set to that age?

March 23, 2013 at 12:00 am |
    • Larry

fred
      So, did God use some kind of Star Trek transporter device to beam one of his own sperm into Mary past her hymen, or did he bypass mary's eggs as well and beam in a full zygote with a complete set of his chromosomes?

March 23, 2013 at 1:44 am |
    • Atheist, me?

I think u r mistaking me for another set of bloggers Larry. However I can tell you for a fact that an egg can be fertilized without sperm. This has been confirmed by experiments with mice in the West and women in S. Korea.

March 23, 2013 at 4:41 am |
    • Do not

Do NOT Blaspheme

March 23, 2013 at 8:18 am |
    • Do

DO blaspheme

March 23, 2013 at 8:24 am |
    • End Religion

AM, I don't buy any of it, but if you want to assert Jesus existed at all then you live by the same "facts" that have supposedly determined Mary was 13 (some say 12, I was being polite) when impregnated. You can't have one without the other. You want a virgin birth then you take the pedophile god along with it.

March 23, 2013 at 10:42 am |

End Religion
      The fact is that most Atheists r not interested in science.
      The parthenogenesis theory is well-established. Also the onset of puberty is known to be delayed by nutrition.
      Lastly, we all watch National Geographic.
      History experts are rarely right.
      Mary could easily have been 21. God could have initiated the energy surge that led to parthenogenesis. Joseph could have been 30 years.

March 23, 2013 at 11:11 am |

End Religion
      Why parthenogenesis? Simple really! For Christ to be like Adam he has to be a male but with a female genetic make-up.

March 23, 2013 at 11:33 am |
    • End Religion

LOL, you're going to claim to be a fan of science and in the same breath claim parthenogenesis without any evidence? Too funny... The bible is fan fiction and proof of nothing. Your virgin birth story is nothing but another in a very long list of fabrications required to have your fiction make "sense" to you. In this case, your delusion is needed to cover up the fact that your own "holy book" of rules tells the tale of a violent pedophile god whom you worship. Shameful indeed.

March 23, 2013 at 12:29 pm |

End Religion
      If we do end religion Atheism will be one of the religions I will be glad was ended.
      Seems u r sad ur assertions have been soundly refuted.

March 23, 2013 at 5:16 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

atheist?
      atheism is not now nor can it ever be a religion. Why do christian fundimentalists always get tripped up on that.

atheism is a religion like abstinence is a $exual position.

March 23, 2013 at 5:20 pm |

Cranium
      Let's say that its not! How come you guys behave like the religious fanatics you deride so often.

March 23, 2013 at 5:28 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

In what way do atheists behave like religious fanatics. And please don't name something that any group of individuals might do who are like-minded on an idea.

March 24, 2013 at 12:28 am |

Guest
      If you understand the true import of the New Testament and yes the Old itself you will know that God prefers that we love our neighbor as ourself and show compassion than we worship him.
      He explicitly told all the Prophets this.
      Thanks for honoring the Sabbath. Hope you focus on loving others as yourself and showing them compassion so that your piety will be backed by spirituality. That will be a stellar example for all.
      I love u as myself.

March 24, 2013 at 12:30 am |
    • End Religion

You keep saying you love us as yourself yet you just said you believe atheism is a religion you'd be happy to see end. I'm confused. If you love us as yourself then you're saying you'd be happy to see your own religion end as well? Or were you being hypocritical as usual?

March 24, 2013 at 12:38 am |

Moby Schtick
      I will like to say that the observation does not basically apply to the Atheists who make charitable love and compassion their goals.
      However the pack of greyhounds here who have the "Atheism is the only way to an enlightened life" atti.tude are no different from the "Jesus is the only way to Heaven crowd".
      Same hard-heartedness, lack of respect for an alternate view and above all spiritual pride.

March 24, 2013 at 12:40 am |

End Religion
      Spirituality may be gained by religion or other experiences. Being a Christian has its advantages but from a spiritual point of view is not necessary to me. The Bible is more important than Xtianity or Judaism. It shows how far these religions deviate from spirituality into religious madness.
      All that God or whatever makes us desire spirituality desires is oyr charitable love and compassion. No less no more.

March 24, 2013 at 12:48 am |

End Religion
      My national symbols look like runes, we have the kente cloth and our own type of drums and style of music. These are not the Hebrew style. However they were used in pagan worship. Does that mean we shoul discard our culture to become faithful Xtians. God is not a god of appearances but one of spirituality.
      If I am thought to love my neighbor as myself then I am a proper Jew and a Christian.
      I won't gain this by changing my name and adopting Hebrew culture.
      From the Bible God adapted the Hebrews from their pagan Sumerian culture and filtered them through the pagan Egyptian one so much so that Moses was called an Egyptian rather than a Hebrew. It took time to push YHWH worldview into their culture. So it is best to allow everyone to do same. My name Nii means Prince but my Parents refuse a Hebrew or "Christian" name.
      T.itus is the name of a xtian saint and also the name of the Roman General who razed Jerusalem and dispersed the Jews. Should we reject the Saint for the wickedness of another?. (hope u had as full an answer) Got to get to church in an hour. Bye . I love u as myself.

March 24, 2013 at 1:14 am |
    • Larry

Atheist, me?

It seems that fred fell into the blog vortex, possibly to create a new universe on the other end.

March 24, 2013 at 1:22 am |
  12. guest

@ Topher: I don't know if you have left for today, but in answer to this mornings question I say this: Easter is the name of a pagan holiday –so, I stoll ask, why do Christians call the celebration of the resurrection of Jesus "Easter"? There is no Jewish holiday named Easter, Easter is the name of a pagan hoiday.
    Jesus rose from the dead on the first day of the week–The Jews did not call it Sunday. Christians without any Bibical evidence or athority worship on the first day [Sunday] of the week. So why do they call it Sunday? By calling it Sunday they give honor to a pagan god: the Sun god.
    I'm sorry Topher, There is no place in the Bible that says Saterday–that is the Sabbath, was ever changed from the seventh day to the first day of the week to honor the resurrection of Jesus.

March 22, 2013 at 7:34 pm |
    • Atheist, me?

Easter is used by only the Anglo-Saxon nations as the word for the Christian Passover. All other Europeans use Pasca or a variation of it which is a play on the Hebrew Pesach(Passover). This is because the two festivals coincided.
      A mouse is not a rodent in terms of the PC.

March 22, 2013 at 10:39 pm |
    • guest

Atheist Me? It seems to me that you are not getting the point. No matter what Anglo-Saxon call the celebration of the resurrection; Easter is still a pagan holiday. My point is: why do Christians choose to use a pagan word? The truth is: the RCC in effort to covert Pagans into Christianty adoped some of their holidays and tried to put a Christan slant on them, but allowed them to retain some, if not all of the pagan costoms that were attached to the holiday and thus introduced paganismm into the Christan docrine. The RCC did this with other holidays also most noteably Christmas. The Christmas tree came from paganism as did the yule log. What I'm trying to say is: Christans have adoped many pagan costoms and trying to call them Christan call them Christan costoms. Even Sunday is a pagan adaptation into the Christan religion. This began in the first century when Greek converts not wishing to be associated with the Jews who were beoing persecuted by the Romans started to worship on Sunday so as not to be persecuted along with the Jews. When Consttantine the Great came along in the third century and was converted to Christianty he made it an offical day to worship the Christan God because most all gentile Christians were worshiping on Sunday, he didn't know any better, but it then was acceped as the day to worship God by most of the world. Later the RCC made it cannon law, thus most all Christians today worship on Sunday, a pagan god's day, not the seventh day Sabbath of the Bible.

March 23, 2013 at 2:21 pm |

Guest
      It is more important that we love our neighbor as ourselves than for us to go to church on the Sabbath.
      Christ and Jewish Christians did attend the Synagogue on the Sabbath.
      In the RCC, Orthodox, Anglican faiths Holy Saturday is a Jewish Sabbath Service.
      However Christians have used Sunday for non-Jewish worship right from the time of Pentecost since the other Jews would have resented it. Denominational Synagogues are a recent invention.

March 24, 2013 at 12:20 am |
    • End Religion

again, no answer from AM, just more talking around the point.

March 24, 2013 at 12:33 am |
  13. End Religion

March 22, 2013 at 7:20 pm |
  14. HeavenSent

Sometimes "Here Kitty Kitty" is not a welcome sound to one of my cats.

March 22, 2013 at 7:15 pm |
    • HeavenSent Blog

March 22, 2013 at 7:19 pm |
  15. John Stefanyszyn

Some corrections...it was the nation of Israel that was lead out from Egypt...the Jews were only one of the 12 tribes in the nation of Israel.

Secondly they did not "escape" but were lead out by the One Creator God....the God which today the Jews deny as being the One and Only God but instead embrace and worship a god which says that it is right to be free to worship any god of one's self interest.

President Obama, on Mrach 21, glorified this "god of fortresses" to the Jews in Jerusalem...and the Jews applauded him for these words of blasphemy.

President Obama has arrogantly placed the way of self-freedom above the servitude to the One God...for Christ, the Son of the True God, said that we are to worship the One Lord God and Him Only to serve.

The return of Christ is at hand.

March 22, 2013 at 6:30 pm |
    • midwest rail

When ?

March 22, 2013 at 6:32 pm |
    • .

I would say Former Presiden Bush has arrogantly placed the US in the path of total world derision and the annihilation of the US, but then we'd both be wrong, wouldnkt we?
      You're grasp of world politics is skewed. I suggest some education outside of the Bible. It'll help.

March 22, 2013 at 6:51 pm |
  16. End Religion

Passover: Because a little slaughter isn't enough

March 22, 2013 at 6:12 pm |
    • Box

Overwhelming am I not?

March 22, 2013 at 6:53 pm |
  17. Box

Christians are to Atheists as Crop Circle experts are to crop circle makers. Regular storage procedure. The same as the other food.

March 22, 2013 at 5:17 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Clarify please. Are you saying that crop circle makers pull one over on the crop circle "experts" who really aren't? Or are you saying that crop circle experts discover the falsity of the crop circles and so completely thwart the efforts of the makers?

March 22, 2013 at 6:16 pm |
    • Box

Fish, and plankton. And sea greens, and protein from the sea. It's all here, ready. Fresh as harvest day. Fish and sea greens, plankton and protein from the sea.

March 22, 2013 at 7:00 pm |
  18. Answer

Here is a little psychology for you trolls...

No troll is smart enough to engage in any intellectual forum. You seek attention.

A true 'middle of the road person' is smart enough to not engage while having read a particular they have disliked.

March 22, 2013 at 5:14 pm |
    • Box

Answer, you are a runner and shall be terminated as per standard food storage procedure. Plankton, sea greens, fish, protein from the sea.

March 22, 2013 at 5:23 pm |
  19. clarity

All right – who here knows how the hell you make macaroons – something tells me those are tricky.

March 22, 2013 at 5:13 pm |
    • The real Tom

You mean like coconut macaroons? I haven't made them, so I can't say. Why do you think they'd be tricky?

March 22, 2013 at 5:17 pm |
    • clarity

I don't know, Tom – I think any time I tried to make something other than a flat cookie, it still will come out flat. lol.

March 22, 2013 at 5:20 pm |
    • clarity

And yes – coconut macaroons. I'm wondering also if fresh-baked is a lot better than store-bought for those – I guessing they must be.

March 22, 2013 at 5:21 pm |
    • .

I thought Macaroon was an island that magically appeared every so often.

March 23, 2013 at 2:34 am |