home
RSS
My Faith: Why I’m going back to church for Good Friday
Brian Spadora chose son William's middle name: Ignatius, after the saint.
March 28th, 2013

My Faith: Why I’m going back to church for Good Friday

Editor’s note: Brian Spadora lives and writes in New Jersey, where he attends Seton Hall University School of Law. Follow him on Twitter at @brianspadora.

By Brian Spadora, Special to CNN

(CNN) - Like many Catholics my age, I am Catholic in name only. I went to Mass every week as a kid and attended a Jesuit high school and college. My wife and I married in a Catholic church, and both of our children were baptized. But I haven’t been a churchgoer since I became too old for my mother to coerce me into a pew.

I haven’t even made the effort to attend Mass twice a year like “Christmas and Easter Catholics.” For my entire adult life, my Catholic faith has been a sort of cultural vestige, like the Italian, Irish and Slovak ethnic heritage from which I’m generations removed.

Despite this, this month I decided I am returning to the church. This turn of events is not quite as miraculous as the multiplication of loaves and fishes, but it’s pretty surprising. It began, innocently enough, with a half-serious promise to my devout Catholic mother.

When Pope Benedict XVI announced last month that he would step down from the papacy on February 28, I emailed my mother, “If they choose a Jesuit pope, I promise to go to Mass at least once every month.”

My irreligious lifestyle felt safe. There had never been a Jesuit pope, and the oddsmakers didn’t include any Jesuits among their favorites to succeed Pope Benedict. I didn’t give the promise too much thought; it was somewhere between wishful thinking and “when pigs fly.”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Then, along with the rest of the world, I heard the announcement that Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Argentina became Pope Francis, the 266th pope – and the first Jesuit.

I was in the car when I heard the news, and I literally cheered aloud. While I had long ago left the church behind, my regard for the Jesuit order never wavered.

The elevation of a Jesuit to the papacy is enough to do what years of prodding by my own mother couldn’t.

I owe nearly everything I value in my life to Jesuit education. I entered St. Peter’s Preparatory School in Jersey City, New Jersey, in 1990 as a rambunctious 14-year-old with authority issues. My four years there upended all my conceptions of religion. St. Peter’s, or “the Prep” as we alums call it, taught me how to be an adult, a friend and a Christian. The Jesuits taught me how to love.

During my junior year, a group of friends and I participated in the school’s retreat program. We spent a weekend with faculty retreat leaders in an old house on the Jersey shore, cooking meals together, laughing and praying. We spoke openly about our joys and our pain, as well. We learned that each of us carried within him a burden that could be lightened only by friendship. Our retreat leaders didn’t need to tell us that relieving the burdens of others was the purpose of Christianity. Instead, they lived that example.

Where my previous religious education had prescribed belief, my Jesuit education encouraged thought. Religion was no longer something that stipulated obedience but a practice that demanded action. The Jesuit leadership of the Prep encouraged us students to be, in the words of former Jesuit Superior General Father Pedro Arrupe, “men for others.”

We were fortunate to attend a school like the Prep, and it wasn’t enough to study hard and get good grades. We had an obligation – to ourselves and to God – to serve one another and our communities. The relationships I made during those years remain the strongest in my life, including with my wife, whom I met when we were 17, while she attended the Prep’s sister school.

This teaching was firmly in line with the teachings of St. Ignatius of Loyola, who founded the Society of Jesus, as the Jesuits are formally known, in 1540. St. Ignatius had been a Basque soldier, as well as something of a ladies’ man, until his conversion while convalescing after a cannonball shattered his leg. In his writings, most notably in his “Spiritual Exercises,” St. Ignatius espoused a theology based on loving deeds rather than loving thoughts or words. St. Ignatius calls us not merely to worship Christ but to imitate him.

As a teenager, I naturally fell far short of the standard my Jesuit teachers had called me to, and I continue to fall short as an adult.

I grew alienated from the church due to what I perceive to be inflexibility on issues like contraception, homosexuality and the role of women in the church, but I continued to look to the example of service the Jesuits set through institutions like the Jesuit Refugee Service.

In times of crisis, I’ve turned to contemporary Jesuit writers, particularly Father James Martin. Although I left the church, the Jesuits never left me.

I’ve remained close to the Prep and the Jesuits whose instruction was so valuable to me. When my son, William, was baptized in 2008, the ceremony was held in the Prep’s chapel. The school’s president, Father Robert Reiser, once my teacher and now a treasured friend, was the priest. My closest high school friend, Michael Zakhar, was the godfather. My wife, Tara, and I chose William’s first name together, but she allowed me to choose his middle name: Ignatius.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Now there is no longer the church I left and the Jesuits I embrace but a church led by a Jesuit.

I know the church won’t transform immediately into the type of institution I’d like it to me. It would be unreasonable and selfish for me to expect otherwise.

As a cardinal, Francis expressed conservative views like his opposition to adoptions by homosexuals, a view with which I disagree assiduously. On the other hand, he admonished an audience of Argentinian priests for forgetting the church’s obligations to society’s most vulnerable.

“Jesus teaches us another way,” he said. “Go out. Go out and share your testimony; go out and interact with your brothers; go out and share; go out and ask. Become the Word in body as well as spirit.”

Francis seems intent on refocusing the church toward its duties to serve those in need.

So on Good Friday, I’ll be returning to the church with hope that Francis’ example will inspire me - and Catholics in general - as his fellow Jesuits have always inspired me.

I’m keeping my word to my mother and returning to Mass, where I will pray for the strength to follow the example of St. Ignatius, loving others not in word only but in deed.

The opinions expressed are solely those of Brian Spadora.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Catholic Church • Pope Francis

1. So Brian on Saturday Morning

Was it good for you the mass or was it the same old BS? Forget the collection plate you will do better by putting the cash into a college fund for the kids.

March 30, 2013 at 9:53 am |
  2. Reality

Dear Brian,

Putting the kibosh on all religion in less than ten seconds: Priceless !!!

• There was no Easter i.e. Christianity completely fails as a religion.

• There was no Moroni i.e. Mormonism is nothing more than a business cult.

Added details available upon written request.

e.g. Taoism

March 30, 2013 at 7:48 am |
    • brianspadora

Your comment is premised on the presumption that I believe the bible is literally true, which is not the case. I don't believe the "Bhagavad Gita" is literally true, either, but I think it offers essential human and spiritual insights which are "true" in a manner of speaking. You and other atheists make the same mistake that many religious fundamentalists make, which is to divide the world into two, the enlightened such as yourselves and the unenlightened. The question of whether the gospels are literally true is irrelevant to me, and I've known clergy who read them as figurative stories designed to impart philosophical truths. My essay was about my efforts to live as a kinder person. It was not a story of a St. Paul on the road to Damascus-style conversion. I don't see myself as "saved" or "converted" and I am certainly not presumptuous enough to advise anyone how to seek enlightenment. I am working to be a better person, and the teachings of the Jesuits help me. That's all.

March 30, 2013 at 11:43 am |
    • Reality

Brian,

Your response is greatly appreciated. You are probably the first article writer to respond to commentary on this blog. Have a happy Easter even though it is another Christian myth. I highly recommend the studies of Professors JD Crossan and G. Ludemann in your future search for the truth.

March 31, 2013 at 9:15 am |
  3. junebug172

You do understand the Jesuit's history of violence, right?

March 30, 2013 at 2:00 am |
    • brianspadora

Yes, I do. I also understand that most of it occurred centuries ago. I also understand the ongoing history of violence by the U.S., but as terrible as, say, the My Lai Massacre was, I love my country and its ideals. I am able to hold conflicting ideas in my head at the same time.

March 30, 2013 at 11:46 am |
  4. Bob Zakhar

Full disclosure, Brian is a dear friend.We went to the same hs-PREP, albeit, we graduated 32 years apart . Seperated by the years, the essence of our Jesuit education remained constant. Explore and challenge intellectually.Care for others less fortunate. Brian quoted " men for others". Back in the day we called them the corporal works of mercy. Do what you can to help out those in need of help. Sure the trapings enthralled me. Most memorably, the funerals of my parents and dear friends and relatives officiated by the good and caring priests;my son's recent wedding celebrated at a mass by my PREP classmate, lifelong friend and current Jesuit. Meaningful as they are, these rituals are but that.:rituals. But they go to the essence of the care, consideration and commitment that is the foundation of my faith.not my church,my faith. I take Brian's going to church in the same spirit. I don't eat meat on Friday during lent. Symbolic gesture- no harm , self satisfying. My late dad who never flew or smoked a cigar would announce on Ash Wednesday that he was giving up airplane rides and cigars for lent. He kept his lenten vow every year Simple man he was, he got it. Symbolic gestures.. He died flightless and cigarless but a good and charitable man. So Brian, go to church if you want to, engage in any number of symbolic gestures. However, live the day to day with the foundations of faith, ethics,charity and kindness the Jesuits enstilled and those closest to us demonstrate. These are riches beyond compare.This evolved into more about me than about your essay. But your essay got me to reflecting.That is the power of your pen.For that you are endebted to the Jesuits and Sir. Thanks to you and these I am enriched.I hope Francis is like the good men we've met who live the legacy of ignatius
    Bob Cephean'62

Bob the Cephean

March 30, 2013 at 1:42 am |
  5. Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Brian,

Since you addressed one of your responses to me I will take the time to respond.

First, I am gIad you get the refence to my handle, not all do. Second I appreciate your journey and your situation. As you probably noticed I had not spent a lot of time addressing the article specifically, it hits close to home and I can relate to your situation. I thought it was a decent column even if I don't agree with your conclusion or direction, yours is personal and since that is the way you framed it I did not see any reason to.

You did ask me a question, you asked " If someone wrote an article about a diet or a workout that you thought was useless, would you spend much time posting several comments on it?"

Answer: If that diet or workout was held up as a positive and moral action and was part of a routine that a larger insti.tution (the Catholic church) recommends, one that holds itself up as a purveyor of moral teaching, one that I have been involved with and have been schooled by and that same insti.tution caused pain through its immoral teachings, teachings that can in no way be demonstrated as being true or moral...than yes, yes I would.

The argument I am making is that Christianity (not Christians) and specifically the Catholic church is not a force for good in the world. Doing good is not enough. Teaching that people are in need of salvation and that can only be obtained through a belief in god is immoral. Beliefs are not choices, I can't choose to believe gravity is not a real effect. As such, making an unsubstatiated claim that lack of belief in a god is justification for eternal punishment is abusive and is immoral, not to mention devisive.

As a Catholic I struggled with many of the same issues you seem to be dealing with. As such I have not directed my criticism towards you or your article. I wish you the best of luck in your journey.

March 30, 2013 at 12:41 am |
  6. Janica

I thought it was a fine piece. There is nothing wrong with his opinion at all. He's right.
    Plus, the child he is holding is simply adorable...

March 29, 2013 at 11:28 pm |
    • brianspadora

Thanks for the kind words! I am glad you enjoyed the piece (and my son's picture!).

March 29, 2013 at 11:31 pm |
    • Janica

You are quite welcome! Keep writing; yours is a voice that should be heard.
      And hug your son often. Children light up our lives!

March 29, 2013 at 11:35 pm |
  7. Tom, Tom, the Other One

brianspadora-

It is not surprising that someone would want to return to the comfortable state offered by the religion of one's parents, ancestors, and a long line of revered men. It's part of your cultural heritage as well. But the intolerance towards homosexuals, the dictation of morality by the strange hierarchy of celibate men, the curtailment of reproductive freedom, particularly for women, these things are not going to go away. Perhaps you will feel right in your own heart for participating in it, but many Catholic believers are becoming more and more dismayed.

March 29, 2013 at 10:25 pm |
    • brianspadora

I understand your view, Tom, and I share them to a large extent. But I don't see my decision to attend services as an endorsement of those policies. They're not taking attendance when I'm there, so I don't think my presence can be used to justify those policies. In the piece I wrote, I didn't encourage anyone to attend Mass. The piece was primarily about my efforts to be a kinder person and the extent to which the Jesuits I've known have lived an example of that kindness. I'm please by a number of things Pope Francis has said upon becoming pope. They resonate with me. I hope he moves the church in a direction of more compassion. Time will tell.

March 29, 2013 at 11:28 pm |
  8. inigo

Read your article in London. Bizarre how a lot of these comments dont even have the courtesy to refer to it and are a bit of an ignorant, bigoted ego trip. I love football too but hey...! But yes know what you mean about the jesuits. I had a similar journey to you and was guided by them. They are special. Tolerant. Intelligent. Human. Humane, mostly.(!) Glad they've inspired you back. Welcome back! Will pray for you and your family. Happy Easter.

March 29, 2013 at 9:49 pm |

• Thank you. AMDG

March 29, 2013 at 9:52 pm |
    • brianspadora

Thanks very much. Yes, I've noticed that most of the comments have little to do with the article. They also make a lot of assumptions about me that are neither true nor based in anything I wrote.
      I appreciate your comment. Happy Easter to you, too.

March 29, 2013 at 9:57 pm |
  9. imeubu

Only one question needs answering: "Does anything we actually know (empirically)... not what we think we know... disprove the particular theory we are examining?"

In this case... suppose we are asked to consider the following... as a theory?

"There are realities beyond our current ability to fully comprehend and/or empirically replicate". Hopefully along with this theoretical proposition we also receive some supporting evidence (preferably but not necessarily empirical in nature) as well as reasonable reference and commentary on the most obvious countervailing evidence currently available.

I'm not aware of any evidence (properly reviewed and published in mainstream journals) that defeats this particular theory:

On the other hand I am aware of several mathematical and scientific models that provide powerful support for it.

I seriously don't understand why we feel the need to wax emotional on any issue (my nature I admit) but especially on something that is so obviously beyond our ability to rationalize at this point in our evolution. Chill... deep breaths... keep learning and keep believing... at least in the need to do the right thing (Gospel according to Spike Lee).

March 29, 2013 at 8:47 pm |
    • Austin

What if you experienced spiritual revelation centered round the bible, in supernatural form? Would you take it easy and play with secular religion, or sit around and watch people go down the wrong road?

March 29, 2013 at 9:35 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Austin,

Would it involve a dead cat?

March 29, 2013 at 9:50 pm |
  10. agalag

It's nice to have faith. I don't give a rat's rear end what any of you believe in–I like looking at something outrageously beautiful and thinking "thanks God". Or when things seem hopeless sometimes and you pray, and you feel a little better just because you prayed. Is it always necessary to question everything? Or is just the thought of knowing that Google is there if you need it, enough?

March 29, 2013 at 8:44 pm |
  11. agalag

Thank you, Brian. I appreciated the article. I have similar memories with the order of nuns that taught me in high school. I am 55 years old, and still remember daily, the lessons taught to us by the Sisters of St Dorothy. I was lucky to have been able to attend the high school that they operated. This order of kind, intelligent, modern women of God, taught me and my friends how to be good people by example. We went on many weekend retreats by the water, where it was me and God, period. I am no holy roller by any means–as a matter of fact, I am a lesbian, but certainly I was born this way. God made me exactly what I am. I do not doubt this for one minute. I attend Mass on occasion, but lately I am inclined to think that it's time to get back to a regular schedule of churchgoing. When North Korea decides to drop a big one, I'd rather be found in church, thank you very much.

March 29, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
    • brianspadora

Thanks for your comment. I am glad you enjoyed the piece. I am also glad that you've found the same openness in the Jesuits that I have. We're all of us struggling to make sense of a confusing world. My essay was an effort to convey just one aspect of my journey toward (hopefully) being a kinder person.

March 29, 2013 at 10:08 pm |
  12. Lisa

Excellent story – thanks for sharing! I, too, have felt myself drawn back to the Catholic Church in recent months. The election of Pope Francis has reinforced this choice for me, especially since I've always had a devotion to St. Francis of Assisi.

March 29, 2013 at 8:14 pm |
    • brianspadora

Thanks very much, Lisa. Yes, St. Francis is a great model to us all, religious or not.

March 29, 2013 at 10:08 pm |
  13. tony

Jesuits do arithmetic. So why haven't they worked out the likely percentage of Christians vs,. the rest, in heaven. The already dead outnumber the total number o possible Christians by many thousands to one.

March 29, 2013 at 7:34 pm |
  14. tony

God invented marriage (and my soon to be inherited family fortune) – Graham Jr.

March 29, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
  15. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things ,

March 29, 2013 at 7:22 pm |
    • tony

For an effect, there is a cause. No effect, no cause.

March 29, 2013 at 7:28 pm |
    • Jesus

The statistical studies from the nineteenth century and the three CCU studies on prayer are quite consistent with the fact that humanity is wasting a huge amount of time on a procedure that simply doesn’t work. Nonetheless, faith in prayer is so pervasive and deeply rooted, you can be sure believers will continue to devise future studies in a desperate effort to confirm their beliefs!.

March 30, 2013 at 10:11 am |
    • Really?

"Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things"

That's why the data; has shown that atheists have happier and healthier lives than conservative Christians. Your post is built on a lie!

March 30, 2013 at 10:15 am |
  16. MagicPanties

hoo boy, pick a jesuit and all of a sudden those imaginary beings from my childhood seem real again.

geezus h kee-riced hullabalooyah

March 29, 2013 at 7:18 pm |
    • brianspadora

Thanks for reading. For what it's worth, I don't read the bible literally. I've known many members of the clergy who read scripture as having symbolic meaning. As I hoped the essay conveyed, I am more concerned with trying to be a better person in the here and now than in any metaphysical issues. I am sorry you didn't find the essay helpful or interesting.

March 29, 2013 at 10:11 pm |
  17. Quixand

Whelp...the Jesuits certainly didn't teach you how to spell or write. LOL

March 29, 2013 at 7:15 pm |
  18. crappygovernment

Tim Tebow brought me closer to my lapsed Catholic Faith. I plan on abandoning the NFL if it blackballs Tebow out for being our first authentic, outspoken Christian role model in decades.

March 29, 2013 at 7:07 pm |
    • Saraswati

Cool, football's always messing up my TV plans. See if you can get a few more people on board with that

March 29, 2013 at 7:10 pm |
      • crappygovernment

I don't want the NFL to involuntarily commit suicide with Christian fans. We need business in the USA. What self-respecting Christian would ever patronize a league that spits in our faces and jerks us around?

March 29, 2013 at 7:12 pm |
      • crappygovernment

I don't want the NFL to commit suicide with Christian fans either. Why would we patronize a hostile anti-Christian league that spits in our faces and jerks us around?

March 29, 2013 at 7:13 pm |
    • MagicPanties

my invisible pink unicorn is praying that you get a clue

March 29, 2013 at 7:16 pm |
      • crappygovernment

You sound like a typical Tebowphobic, comrade! You people outlawed Christianity in Eastern Europe under communism. Don't think we Americans don't know it either!

March 29, 2013 at 7:17 pm |
    • sam

Authentic?

March 29, 2013 at 7:17 pm |
    • Agnes of Dog

I'm not sure I'm following this one. Are you saying that when he started to suck at football that Jesus wept and so no one should watch football?

March 29, 2013 at 7:18 pm |
    • midwest rail

You cannot possibly be serious. If you are, you know nothing about football.

March 29, 2013 at 7:19 pm |
    • crappygovernment

He's still 8-5 as a starter with a playoff win to his credit, schmuley! Jay Fiedler and Sage Rosenfels wouldn't have been degraded like Tebow was in 2012 and you know it!

March 29, 2013 at 7:20 pm |
    • MagicPanties

because god cares about a football game while people are being murdered all over the world

yeah, right

March 29, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
    • crappygovernment

If the Lord wanted max 1st world eyeballs he would have appeared at NFL games! Is there any evidence that Jesus had anything to do with the 3rd world anyway? Maybe they are Satan's corrupt children?

March 29, 2013 at 7:22 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

I'm sure the NFL will miss you!

Bwaa haa haa.

At best, Tebow might make a second string running back. As a QB, forget it. The new boys like Luck and RGIII are infinitely better QBs.

March 29, 2013 at 7:23 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Authentic, as in not having the guts to keep a speaking engagement at a church?

March 29, 2013 at 7:25 pm |
      • crappygovernment

he's working out his master plan, no pope has ever condemned gays, anti-Christians, masons, radicals like Christians should!

March 29, 2013 at 7:26 pm |
    • crappygovernment

RGIII is too flimsy. Andrew Luck has no playoff win, Michael Silver!

March 29, 2013 at 7:25 pm |
    • tony

Genuflect, Genflect, Genuflect. Exhibition of Piety beats being just plain good every time.

March 29, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
    • Agnes of Dog

My money's on this Curtis dude if he's still in it next time around.

March 29, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
    • The real Tom

If you think RGIII is "flimsy," you are retarded.

March 29, 2013 at 7:30 pm |
    • midwest rail

Tebow appears to a genuinely nice person. No gimmick offense works for long in the NFL, and any offense run by Tebow will be a gimmick. His throwing mechanics are terrible, he can't read a pro defense, and has thus far shown no evidence that he will get better at either. If he inspired you to revisit your faith, that's wonderful. But he will never be a successful NFL starter again.

March 29, 2013 at 7:31 pm |
    • crappygovernment

Most of the Saints and Prophets were assertive in getting the word of the Lord out to their corrupted societies, just like Tebow, comrade Trotsky!

March 29, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
    • Agnes of Dog

RGIII's not flimsy, but he has to be healthy.

March 29, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
    • crappygovernment

Acts 14:1-2 talks about Tebowphobia!

March 29, 2013 at 7:33 pm |
    • The real Tom

Ag, he has to stop running the football and learn to fall down.

March 29, 2013 at 7:34 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

I know the Saints are in New Orleans but where do the Prophets play?

March 29, 2013 at 7:37 pm |
    • Agnes of Dog

Yes that's dangerous, but it also helps. He and Curtis were both running the ball all over the place. Makes Roethlisberger look like a statue on the field.

March 29, 2013 at 7:37 pm |
    • Agnes of Dog

Damn, GOP'er maybe the Swiss Guard should come up with a team.

March 29, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
    • Agnes of Dog

Lol – actually the Swiss Guard should be the Saints.

March 29, 2013 at 7:41 pm |
    • The real Tom

I know, Ag. It's exciting to watch, but all I can think of is Theismann.

March 29, 2013 at 7:41 pm |
    • Agnes of Dog

Theismann's restaurants used to have great hamburgers. I don't even know if they exist anymore.

March 29, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
    • The real Tom

<b.http://theismanns.com/menu/

March 29, 2013 at 7:46 pm |
    • Agnes of Dog

College baseball on already tonight – Northwestern vs. Nebraska. It must be cold.

March 29, 2013 at 7:46 pm |
    • Agnes of Dog

Yeah – you could get a blue-cheese hamburger there really cheap on a certain night of the week. I try not to eat too much beef anymore, but they sure were good. I think now if I had to go out and get one I'd go to Ted Turner's Montana Grill and get one of those Bison burgers.

March 29, 2013 at 7:49 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Lol – actually the Swiss Guard should be the Saints.

They'd have very striking uniforms. Tricky coming up with a name though.

Fighting Calvinists?
      Helvetian Hellcats? (Or is that H E double hockey sticks cats?)
      Pope's Partizans?
      Helvetian Halberders?

March 29, 2013 at 7:51 pm |
    • Agnes of Dog

** Agnes of Dog is not in any way affiliated with The Turner Broadcasting System

lol

March 29, 2013 at 7:52 pm |
    • Angus of Dog

(OK, that's better, since I'm talking all this meat.)

March 29, 2013 at 7:53 pm |
    • The real Tom

Hahahah. Ok, that made me guffaw in a most unattractive fashion.

March 29, 2013 at 7:54 pm |
    • Agnes of Dog

the Holy SeeHawks

March 29, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
    • agalag

Tebow is just too much for the average fan. People watch football for entertainment–they don't want to hear about religion on the field unless it's a "Hail Mary" pass. Great athlete no doubt, but teams don't want to hear about the religion, because they know the fans don't.

March 29, 2013 at 8:21 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@agalag,

Or the immaculate reception.

@AoD

I like the Holy See Hawks.

March 29, 2013 at 8:31 pm |
  19. I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Chad,

Couldn't God get it written down more clearly?
    So is the bible the inerrant word of God?*

* given all the hoops you have to jump through (aka gymnastics) to rationalize the inconsistencies in census dates alone.

Those are just from today in this thread. But I truly don't care to see an answer because you are pure sophistry anyway.

Happy Easter Chad.

March 29, 2013 at 7:03 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Oops – wrong spot – will repost in context.

March 29, 2013 at 7:03 pm |
  20. Adam2Jesus

My advice to you young man, if you truly seek God, seek him with all of your heart, all of your soul and all of your mind. Study the word of God thoroughly, pray daily and do not throw away God's word for the words of those who want to appear politically and socially "correct". Gays adopting ? What does light have in common with the darkness ? Read your scripture.

March 29, 2013 at 6:50 pm |
    • The real Tom

If you don't like the idea of gays adopting, Adolph, then you should get busy adopting all the unwanted kids before they do it.

Asshat.

March 29, 2013 at 6:51 pm |
    • .

i don't like the idea of qu eers breathing, let alone anything else, nothing but a waste of time and space.

March 29, 2013 at 7:24 pm |
    • The real Tom

Nobody gives a ripe fvck what YOU like, sh!t for brains.

March 29, 2013 at 7:30 pm |