home
RSS
March 29th, 2013

Joel Osteen dismisses "The Bible" controversy

By Jake Tapper, CNN

Televangelist Joel Osteen is a consultant on the History Channel's series, "The Bible," which has become a runaway success. More than 10 million people watched last week's episode, and nearly 14 million watched the debut. Osteen's friend Mark Burnett produces the show.

Osteen is not surprised by the success.

"There are a lot of people of faith still in our country and when somebody takes a step of faith like Mark and [co-executive producer Roma Downey] did, people want to get behind it and see good quality, you know, production of something that's ... dear to all of our hearts, and that is the scripture and the bible," said Osteen.

Osteen also dismissed the controversy surrounding the actor cast as Satan bearing a resemblance in some people's minds to President Obama.

"I felt like it was nonsense," says Osteen. "People can draw funny conclusions."

FULL STORY
- Dan Merica

Filed under: Belief • Bible • Christianity

1. Tom Tom the piper's son

C'mon guys you can't be serious. Please tell me this is just another joke. Im gonna be so lonely and lowly. I'll hang myself in the dungeon. 🙁

March 29, 2013 at 7:58 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

And your god is muttering to himself about you, "Well done, my good and faithful servant." He likes liars, you see.

March 29, 2013 at 8:01 pm |
    • Atheist, me?

Moby
      I don't see any righteous indignation when Tom Tom or Real Tom delivers acid. Sounds like morality is not what u r good at judging. Advise her to stop or stay out of her fights!

March 29, 2013 at 8:07 pm |
    • midwest rail

At least real tom never stoops to stealing screen names.

March 29, 2013 at 8:13 pm |
    • Beast

Not TTTP'sS. Lowly pudmeister.

March 29, 2013 at 8:23 pm |
    • The real Tom

Eat sh!t and die, AM, you turd.

March 29, 2013 at 10:41 pm |
    • fintastic

AM = such a good christian whipping boy!

April 2, 2013 at 10:21 am |
  2. The real Tom

What do I need to do to be saved also? Im in drugs and a ho/mo, I'm lost.

March 29, 2013 at 7:52 pm |
    • .

Too late for you – drop your blasphemous head between your knees and kiss your diseased ass goodbye.

March 29, 2013 at 8:00 pm |
    • Atheist, me?

Tom is a woman! Shove off, stupid!!

March 29, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
  3. Quary

Why does Osteen have so much vaseline in his hair? More oil than Texas. Watch out for the slick at his feet.

March 29, 2013 at 7:50 pm |
  4. Quary

Why does Osteen have so much valseline in his hair? More oil than Texas. Watch out for the slick at his feet.

March 29, 2013 at 7:50 pm |
  5. HotAirAce

Well I guess if you guys are going to believe I might as well do the same. This is so Grrrrreat. I hope we can meet one day and join in prayer and praise to God for his Love and Mercy.

March 29, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
  6. Prayer Werks!!

He's been praying for better teeth for quite some time now...

March 29, 2013 at 7:37 pm |
  7. Lycidas

As for the Obama and Satan foolishness....anyone can see that they do not really look alike.

Ok, If Obama was darker skinned, more wrinkled, had longer hair and maybe add a mole....perhaps....just perhaps they would look somewhat alike.
    I mean, every supporter of Obama would make sure Satan looks like him right? That's what the idiots are saying about Roma Downey in essence.

March 29, 2013 at 7:33 pm |
    • The real Tom

Off-topic, but I saw an interview with Roma Downey, and if that gal isn't botoxed and lifted, no one is.

March 29, 2013 at 7:38 pm |
    • SAAB

the people who see Obama and Satan resemblance, also see face of Jesus on over toasted bread.

March 29, 2013 at 7:49 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Why do true believers feel the need to improve the perfect body their alleged god allegedly gave them?

March 29, 2013 at 7:50 pm |
    • Agnes of Dog

LOL, Tom – yes – she's lifted up heavenward, that's for sure.

March 29, 2013 at 7:56 pm |
  8. Akira

I'am a believer now, I belive in Jesus yes!

March 29, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
    • End Religion

Me too, this series has been so great and wonderful. I finally understand what I've been missing. Oh Lord forgive me I do believe in You with all my hearth now!

March 29, 2013 at 7:31 pm |
    • Sam Stone

Count me in now, I too believe now. The movies are better than the reading the Bible. I now bellieve with all my hearth too.

March 29, 2013 at 7:33 pm |
    • Sam Stone

Me also, this is so incredible! How could I miss it? Is better to watch it all in TV and in movies because it just doesn't requires reading the Bible. But after all I know Jesus is my Savior, Praise God and Jesus.

March 29, 2013 at 7:36 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Yes me too, Praise God almighty He is my Lord and Savior Forever and ever amen!

March 29, 2013 at 7:42 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

And it will cause a billion people* to read the bible for the first time.

* Actually that's on the low end.

At least according to the Gospel of Mark (survivor) Burnett.

March 29, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
    • Akira

I believe I have a an imitator.
      Loser.

March 29, 2013 at 7:46 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Don't get me wrong, I still believe in Jesus is just that this series is not accurate and faithful to the text as I read it.
      But Jesus is indeed the Son of God.

March 29, 2013 at 7:48 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Me too! I'm honored.

March 29, 2013 at 7:49 pm |

Babies must play.

March 29, 2013 at 7:49 pm |
    • Akira

I was a street walker and Jesus has saved me. Praise God!

March 29, 2013 at 7:50 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

We have ourselves a little handle stealer.

How sweet.

March 29, 2013 at 7:53 pm |
    • The real Tom

I need to be save too, I'm lost in drugs and ho/mo/ lifestyle, I know only Jesus can save me, only Jesus can save me. Oh lord God almighty please save me. I was born a hom/o.

March 29, 2013 at 7:54 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

My guess for the childish handle thief would be @Truth, who has proved to be anything but!

March 29, 2013 at 7:55 pm |
    • Akira

Childre always imitate those they admire, Tom.

March 29, 2013 at 7:57 pm |
    • HotAirAce

I think Chad, Lie4Him or Austin finally went over the edge, but maybe they're all one and the same.

March 29, 2013 at 7:57 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Is that what Jesus has to stoop to? His followers have to lie about who they are on anonymous internet forums and express their dishonesty for all nonchristians to witness?

I guess we atheists just have better morals.

March 29, 2013 at 7:58 pm |
    • Agnes of Dog

It must be, GOP'er. I sort of get the lack of education, but I'm just amazed at the lack of creativity.

March 29, 2013 at 7:59 pm |
    • Akira

I don't want to walk the streets anymore. I'm tire of this life, I feel so dirty, I need Jesus. Oh God please clean me of all my sins. Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord!

March 29, 2013 at 8:01 pm |
    • Akira

Then get off the streets, jacker.
      How utterly silly to steal people's ID's.

March 29, 2013 at 8:14 pm |
  9. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

March 29, 2013 at 7:19 pm |
    • just sayin

it helped me find my pants

March 29, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
    • .

Yeah they are in your mouth. ass hole

March 29, 2013 at 7:27 pm |
  10. sam

All right, that's it. Who the hell asked this bullshit con man for his opinion?

March 29, 2013 at 7:13 pm |
    • Lycidas

All right, that's it. Who the hell asked this bulls*it con man Sam for his opinion?

March 29, 2013 at 7:15 pm |
    • sam

All right, that's it. How far up your own ass can you jam your head?

Go on, don't even try and pretend you're defending this disingenious sonofabitch. His smarmy overgelled knob gobbling puss is nothing but a figurehead for a moneymaking empire.

March 29, 2013 at 7:20 pm |
    • Lycidas

"All right, that's it. How far up your own @ss can you jam your head?"

I would have to concede that bit of wisdom to one such as yourself. It's obvious you do it quite often.

"Go on, don't even try and pretend you're defending this disingenious sonofabi tch."

Actually...I am just pointing out how funny it is that you think your opinion that wasn't asked for is somehow superior to his.

March 29, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
    • Akira

Lycidas:
      An opinion is just that.
      I don't see that yours is any more valid than anyone else's; do you think your opinion is superio to sam's?

March 29, 2013 at 8:03 pm |
  11. Simple

March 29, 2013 at 6:45 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Perhaps they're receiving it via the spiritual world that cannot be measured.

March 29, 2013 at 6:49 pm |
    • sam

It's a bit hokey and not all that faithful to the source material. Which is hilariously ironic, really.

March 29, 2013 at 7:14 pm |
    • Lycidas

Simple- "How good can the show be when it lost a third of it's veiwers between part one and part two?"

Wow...you are Simple aren't you?

Part 1 had 13.10 million
      Part 2 had 10.80 million
      Part 3 had 10.90 million
      Part 4 had 10.30 million.

I think you need to work on your math about what 1/3 is.
      And then you might want to think a little on those numbers and compare it to any and all shows on Sunday.

March 29, 2013 at 7:25 pm |
    • The real Tom

That's not saying much. Look at the line-up on Sunday nights.

March 29, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
    • Simple

"More than 10 million people watched last week's episode, and nearly 14 million watched the debut."

Yes, I rounded off.

If I used your numbers and rounded off it would be 13 million for 1st episode and 11 mill for second losing 2 million viewers out of 13 million making it closer to 20% of viewers leaving after the first episode instead of 33%.

March 29, 2013 at 7:57 pm |
  12. the AnViL™

Joel Osteen should get douchebag of the year award.

March 29, 2013 at 6:41 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Yup, he's almost as slimy as Chad. He'll be 100% in favor of gay rights when SCOTUS rules in favor.

March 29, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
    • The real Tom

He'll kowtow the minute he thinks he can make a buck performing gay weddings.

March 29, 2013 at 6:47 pm |
  13. I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Brinks Driver: Mr Osteen, I've got another delivery for you.
    Joel: Another one? That's the third one today already.
    Brinks Driver: Where do you want me to put it?
    Joel: Put it in the visiting team's locker room with the rest of the shipments.

March 29, 2013 at 6:40 pm |
  14. Pastafairian

Monty Pythons the Holy Grail and Life of Brian are scheduled when, giddy with anticipation. I am hoping they will do an equally fine job in depicting the Gospel of the flying Spaghetti Monster if they can buy the rights from Bobby Henderson.
    PS: The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown was a blockbuster book, the movie did okay also.

March 29, 2013 at 6:34 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Perhaps Trey Parker and Matt Stone could write a FSM musical.

"The Book of Mormon" was a big hit.

March 29, 2013 at 6:41 pm |
    • sam

>>"Perhaps Trey Parker and Matt Stone could write a FSM musical."

Yep, that is going on the wishlist for me.

March 29, 2013 at 7:15 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

With a heavenly beer volcano and strip-per factory – musical numbers almost write themselves.

Lead; "He was boiled for our sins"
      Chorus: Raaaaamen

March 29, 2013 at 7:42 pm |
  15. I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

For a more penetrating look at the Bible as presented by the History/Duck Dynasty/Pawn Star/Big Shrimpin' channel here's Stephen Colbert's take:

History Channel's "The Bible"
    Former "Touched by an Angel" star Roma Downey plays the Virgin Mary in "The Bible" miniseries, which she produced with her husband Mark Burnett.

I speak of course of "The story of God and all of us, a novel based on the epic TV series "The Bible"". All the Biblical stories you love from the miniseries finally assembled into one book!

Classic!

March 29, 2013 at 6:33 pm |
    • sam

Definitely a classic Colbert moment.

March 29, 2013 at 7:22 pm |
    • Agnes of Dog

Oh – I'll have to watch this one – the one about O'Reilly's flip-flopping was hilarious.

March 29, 2013 at 8:04 pm |
  16. the AnViL™

"People can draw funny conclusions."

yeah – like in relation to the genesis of life, the universe and everything - "god did it".
    or
    the gospels were penned by eye-witnesses...
    or
    slavery is OK

yeah – lots of screwball funny conclusions

March 29, 2013 at 6:24 pm |

@slavery is OK

You probably support slavery. Some might say you are a slave.

March 29, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
    • Truth.

We are enlaved by: debt, fossil fuels, materialism, factory farmed and processed "food," news propaganda, belief systems, and our medical system

March 29, 2013 at 6:39 pm |
    • the AnViL™

that's right truthtard

according to the bible – slavery is OK.

stop being ignorant.

March 29, 2013 at 6:40 pm |
    • Truth.

The Bible honestly describes the human condition. Humans say slavery is ok. They still do.

The Bible never says "slavery is ok".

Americans support slavery. Most of our products are created by slave labor.

March 29, 2013 at 6:48 pm |
    • Truth.

The Bible is for the slaves. You probably don't need it. You've already got your reward.

March 29, 2013 at 6:50 pm |
    • The real Tom

"Enslaved by factory processed food." You ought to read some history about food safety before the advent of food safety regulations, idiot.

March 29, 2013 at 6:50 pm |
    • Truth.

Not everybody lives in America.

March 29, 2013 at 6:53 pm |

slaveryfootprint.org/

March 29, 2013 at 6:54 pm |
    • The real Tom

"Not everybody lives in America." No sh!t, Sherlock. So? Do you HAVE a point?

March 29, 2013 at 6:55 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

"The Bible never says "slavery is ok".

Ummm, actually it does. Quite literally.

March 29, 2013 at 6:56 pm |
    • the AnViL™

wow – yet someone else ignorant about the content of the bible – and the fact that it sanctions slavery and even gives directives in relation to how it should be conducted.

too funny

March 29, 2013 at 7:00 pm |

@ The real Tom

We are benefiting from slavery.

March 29, 2013 at 7:01 pm |

@the AnViL™

Exodus 21:16
      “Anyone who kidnaps someone is to be put to death, whether the victim has been sold or is still in the kidnapper’s possession.”

Leviticus 25:39-43
      “If a countryman of yours becomes so poor with regard to you that he sells himself to you, you shall not subject him to a slave’s service. He shall be with you as a hired man, as if he were a sojourner; he shall serve with you until the year of jubilee. He shall then go out from you, he and his sons with him, and shall go back to his family, that he may return to the property of his forefathers. For they are My servants whom I brought out from the land of Egypt; they are not to be sold in a slave sale. You shall not rule over him with severity, but are to revere your God.”

Exodus 21:2

“If you buy a Hebrew servant, he is to serve you for six years. But in the seventh year, he shall go free, without paying anything.”

March 29, 2013 at 7:05 pm |
    • Truth.

See, God hated slavery and in the OT forbid it.

March 29, 2013 at 7:06 pm |
    • Karyn

Yo, Truth.
      Leviticus 25:44-46

As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you. You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their clans that are with you, who have been born in your land, and they may be your property. You may bequeath them to your sons after you to inherit as a possession forever. You may make slaves of them, but over your brothers the people of Israel you shall not rule, one over another ruthlessly.

I think that translates roughly to 'slavery is ok', m'kay?

March 29, 2013 at 7:07 pm |
    • The real Tom

"We are benefiting from slavery."

Why don't you go live off the grid then, honey?

March 29, 2013 at 7:07 pm |
    • The Truth Is...

he just wants to own a few black people like his great great grandfather did so he's trying to tell us we are all slaves to something, why not be his slave?

March 29, 2013 at 7:08 pm |
    • Truth.

The Bible clearly shows that we are to love one another and in the NT, we are to go above and beyond.

If we obeyed the Ten Commandments, slavery is a no-no.

March 29, 2013 at 7:08 pm |
    • Truth.

So what if my great-grandfather was a slave?

March 29, 2013 at 7:09 pm |
    • the AnViL™

the bible certainly sanctions slavery and gives clear directives on how slavery is to be conducted.

Leviticus 25:44-46

44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

class dismissed.

March 29, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
    • Truth.

@ Why don't you go live off the grid then, honey?

I don't know how to.

Maybe we will always have slavery.

Maybe that is part of our human sin.

March 29, 2013 at 7:11 pm |

"I don't know how to."

Easy. Give up your home and live in a cardboard box. There. You're welcome.

March 29, 2013 at 7:12 pm |

Leviticus 25 (NIV)
      44 "‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.

"YOU MAY BUY SLAVES" and this is from the NIV! We're not talking about temporary indentured servants here – but SLAVES. The word means what it means.

It is fun to watch the new translations squirm over this passage.

March 29, 2013 at 7:13 pm |

@ the AnViL™

Some people had to sell themselves into servitude. Or die. Or it was punishment.

If it was unjust – it was forbidden by God.

No questions about it.

March 29, 2013 at 7:14 pm |
    • the AnViL™

why is it – that the ten commandments do not clearly prohibit the owning of another human as property?

the dilemma of objective morality causes many delusional xian zealots to draw funny conclusions.

March 29, 2013 at 7:14 pm |
    • Truth.

1. Slaves under Mosaic Law were different from the harshly treated slaves of other societies, more like servants or bondservants.

2. The Bible doesn’t give an endorsement of slave traders but the opposite (1 Timothy 1:10). A slave/bondservant was acquired when a person voluntarily entered into it when he needed to pay off his debts.

3. The Bible recognizes that slavery is a reality in this sin-cursed world and doesn’t ignore it, but instead gives regulations for good treatment by both masters and servants and reveals they are equal under Christ.

4. Israelites could sell themselves as a slave/bondservant to have their debts covered, make a wage, have housing and be set free after six years. Foreigners could sell themselves as a slave/bondservant as well.

March 29, 2013 at 7:15 pm |

@Truth,

so three of us quoted the same passage that started right where you left off with Leviticus 43.

Lying little so and so. Seem like there's a commandment about that.

March 29, 2013 at 7:16 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

So now the evasion and dissembling begins.

Slaves to Israelites weren't badly treated. What a load of codswhallop!

March 29, 2013 at 7:18 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Slavery according to The Babble – a mutually beneficial pleasant business arrangement.

March 29, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
    • the AnViL™

truthtard – you are being disingenuous. not at all surprised.

slavery was not a happy fun-time romp for anyone – you retarded simpleton. and no – not everyone was sold into indentured servitude. they were slaves, princess. plain and simple.

there is nothing more repugnant than an ignorant xian apologist attempting to assert the same tired broken down exegetical stupidity.

once again – people drawing funny conclusions.

you should be ashamed to be so incredulous on a national public forum.

March 29, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
    • Truth.

The Bible gives slaves, both then and today, a spiritual basis for worth, dignity, equality, and hope to face difficult circomstances.

In the end, at a deeper level, its position is clear.

God is against slavery.

March 29, 2013 at 7:22 pm |
    • The real Tom

"Slaves under Mosaic Law were different from the harshly treated slaves of other societies, more like servants or bondservants."

Bullsh!t. If they had been servants they'd have been CALLED servants, dingus.

You are a lying little sack of poo.

March 29, 2013 at 7:23 pm |
    • Truth.

The Bible describes, not supports slavery.

March 29, 2013 at 7:24 pm |
    • The real Tom

Gee, and why is that? The babble manages to condemn the wearing of mixed fibers yet doesn't condemn slavery?

You are such an idiot.

March 29, 2013 at 7:26 pm |

Leviticus 25:35-37
      Now in case a countryman of yours becomes poor and his means with regard to you falter, then you are to sustain him, like a stranger or a sojourner, that he may live with you. Do not take usurious interest from him, but revere your God, that your countryman may live with you. You shall not give him your silver at interest, nor your food for gain.

March 29, 2013 at 7:26 pm |
    • the AnViL™

"In the end, at a deeper level, its position is clear."

there was no deeper level you incredulous brainwashed idiot.

"God is against slavery." – no.. your imaginary man in the sky was not against slavery. if that were true – then there would most certainly be a commandment prohibiting the ownership of other humans.

see – that's the thing about xianity – it's a slave cult.

you're brainwashed into thinking pretty much anything is OK – if your imaginary man in the sky says so – or more imporantly - doesn't say so.

peddle your idiocy elsewhere.

dismissed.

March 29, 2013 at 7:26 pm |
    • Truth.

***The ancient Hebrews did have permanent slaves obtained from the non-Jewish nations that surrounded them. They came into their possession as the result of military conquests:

Leviticus 25:44-46
      As for your male and female slaves whom you may have — you may acquire male and female slaves from the pagan nations that are around you. Then, too, it is out of the sons of the sojourners who live as aliens among you that you may gain acquisition, and out of their families who are with you, whom they will have produced in your land; they also may become your possession

March 29, 2013 at 7:27 pm |

@Tom,

I bet that years from now all the newest translations will have expunged the word slave from Leviticus entirely.

The literal word of God – yeah, right!

March 29, 2013 at 7:27 pm |
    • Truth.

**Slaves were not to be treated harshly. They were to be treated humanely and with respect:

Leviticus 25:43, 46, 53
      You shall not rule over him with severity, but are to revere your God… You may even bequeath them to your sons after you, to receive as a possession; you can use them as permanent slaves… Like a man hired year by year he shall be with him; he shall not rule over him with severity in your sight.

March 29, 2013 at 7:28 pm |
    • The Truth Is...

the bible condones slavery. Period.

March 29, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Bvll sh!t. The bible gives instructions on selling slaves, buying them, beating them (not unto death, 'cause that would be wrong), and all sorts of other particulars. The southern baptists used scripture verses to support their pro slavery stance not too long ago. It's easy to figure out the truth-–unless you want to blind to it.

March 29, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
    • The real Tom

Truth, you're such a dink.

March 29, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
    • Truth.

You can't just free slaves – you have to help them.

March 29, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Truthless, if your alleged god is allegedly against slavery why has it tolerated it for thousands of years and why doesn't it put an end to it?

March 29, 2013 at 7:29 pm |

@Truth,

how does "you may acquire male and female slaves from the pagan nations that are around you" not condone slavery???

Why do you persist in digging the hole deeper?

March 29, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
    • Truth.

African-American slaves used the Bible to gain freedom.

The same Bible that people tried to use to keep them enslaved.

March 29, 2013 at 7:30 pm |
    • The real Tom

Sure. Because the Emancipation Proclamation was superfluous.

Were you born stupid?

March 29, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
    • Truth.

"one can read into the Bible almost any interpretation of morality ... for its passages had been used to defend slavery and the liberation of slaves, to support racism, anti-Semitism and patriotism, to enshrine a dominance of men over women, and to condemn hamosaxuality as immoral"

– Peter Gomes (descendant of slaves)

March 29, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
    • The real Tom

"You can't just free slaves. You have to help them."

I call poe.

March 29, 2013 at 7:33 pm |
    • Samuel

"You may even bequeath them to your sons after you, to receive as a possession; you can use them as permanent slaves"

What part of that do you not understand Truth? Do you not know the definition of permanent? Or is it the word "possession" that you are misreading? The bible say's it's okay to OWN slaves and to consider them property to be passed on to your children as an inherritance. "Here you go Jimmy, I know you always liked Bertha who nursed you as a baby, you take her with you along with her children to clean your new house...but make sure if you beat her that the stick is no larger than your thumb and if you kill her you will be punished, so be careful with your slaves."

March 29, 2013 at 7:34 pm |
    • Truth.

It is the people – not God – not the Bible that is the problem.

With or without the Bible we still have slavery.

Why are you people still supporting slavery? You are no better than the Bible that you profess to hate.

Nice.

March 29, 2013 at 7:35 pm |

"Nice."

Yeah, you are. Look, you ass hat, you aren't exempt. In fact, you're complicit.

March 29, 2013 at 7:36 pm |

@ The real Tom

@ "You can't just free slaves. You have to help them."

@ I call poe.

Seriously, if a person has been a slave their whole life – they may need some help to survive as a free person.

In ancient times it was probably impossible to survive. That is why people sold themselves into slavery.

They didn't want to die. There was no welfare system.

March 29, 2013 at 7:37 pm |
    • Truth.

@ Yeah, you are. Look, you ass hat, you aren't exempt. In fact, you're complicit.

I'm not the one claiming superiority over ancient verses about a complex society and world I have limited understanding about.

I admit slavery still exists, and I contribute to it.

I'm just as bad as the slave owners.

I need God's help.

March 29, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
    • Truth.

God has a plan for those enslaved.

And those that enslave others.

And those that look the other way.

It is not as simple as printing a book that says "Slavery is illegal."

We see how that hasn't even worked in the United States.

We still have slavery here.

March 29, 2013 at 7:41 pm |
    • Prayer Werks!!

"It is the people – not God – not the Bible that is the problem."

It would have been fairly simple for an all powerful deity to command his people in Leviticus to "Free all slaves, do not own another human. As slaves you were in Egypt, do not commit the same kind of sin the Pharohs practiced. Get out of her my people. All those who work in your house should be free people who are paid a living wage for the work they do for you in raising your family, working your farms and defending your property."

I'm pretty sure even if it was the "In" thing to do at the time, if God really hated slavery he would said something about it regardless of how much his chosen people liked it.

March 29, 2013 at 7:48 pm |
    • Atheist, me?

the trans Atlantic slave trade was ended by xtians not atheists. Even so ig biblical laws on slavery had applied it wud have died long before.
      1) sleeping with your slave woman made her your wife.
      2) Such a woman could not be sold but only divorced.
      3) Her children by you were fully legitimate heirs to you
      4) It was forbidden to kidnap and sell people into slavery.
      5) If a slave runs away he could not be recaptured and delivered to his owner
      6) A senior slave could inherit his master if he dies childless as his closest relative rather than the man's actual next of kin.

March 29, 2013 at 8:39 pm |

@ Prayer Werks!!

There are different types of slave. Some slaves are voluntary and some are not. The act of slavery isn't necessarily a bad thing it is our modern concept of it that makes it like this.

The slave came under the protection and providence of the master while he provided service. Of course, some masters were harsh and treated slaves poorly which would not be acceptable to God.

If you were without a way to supply your needs would you offer yourself in servitude to someone who would feed and shelter you and your family ?

March 29, 2013 at 8:47 pm |
    • Kee

Personally, I think God doesn't condone these things (slavery, polygamy, r@pe that can be found in old testament) just as He doesn't condone adultery, murder or theft; but allows such things to happen so that we will see the consequences of our actions and learn from our mistakes.
      That's what the gift of freewill is all about.
      That's what salvation is all about.
      We have the choice, we change.
      And I think that's what the above scriptures are essentially saying.
      So the next time you feel like swearing, cursing, or lying even; think about the impact Noah's words had on Ham and Canaan, simply because his nakedness was discovered.
      We need to be much more responsible with our thoughts/words/actions. That's why God has given us His Holy Spirit. Love, power, sound mind.
      Self-control.

March 29, 2013 at 8:53 pm |
  17. Denise

That and some shampoo, Tom.

March 29, 2013 at 6:20 pm |
  18. Denise

Osteen's hair is so greasy it could be the next big source of crude oil. What a greasy slimeball; no wonder he's a preacher screacher.

March 29, 2013 at 6:19 pm |
  19. The real Tom

Why doesn't he spend some $$ on orthodontia?

March 29, 2013 at 6:18 pm |
  20. History Channel's "The Bible" Parts 3 & 4 - In Under 11 Minutes!

March 29, 2013 at 6:08 pm |