home
RSS
April 9th, 2013

Elaborate hoax: No, Joel Osteen has not renounced his faith

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – Joel Osteen, the popular megachurch pastor from Houston, is the target of an Internet hoax that falsely reported the Christian leader was leaving his church and renouncing his faith.

On a website designed to mimic Osteen’s official website, the pranksters posted “A special message from Pastor Joel.” The post describes the Bible as “a fallible, flawed, highly inconsistent history book that has been altered hundreds of times” and announces that Osteen plans to leave his Lakewood Church.

Osteen and church staff  labeled the website a fraud and said the idea that he was leaving the faith was a "false rumor."

According to the website's registration, Lucas Skass with BMG Enterprises LLC, who lists his residence in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, purchased the domain name on April 1 of this year – April Fools Day.

Calls to the number listed for Skass, as well as people associated with BMG Enterprises LLC, have gone unanswered.

"I am leaving the Christian faith," says a big banner near the top of the page.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

In addition to the announcement, the website posted a fake screenshot of CNN.com that included a falsified headline about Osteen’s supposed decision. The pranksters also launched an associated Twitter account that has since been suspended.

The website - http://www.joelostenministries.com/ - spells Osteen’s name wrong and comes with an elaborate disclaimer.

“This site is the property of Pastor Joel Osten and Joel Osten Ministries. It bears no relation to ‘Joel Osteen’ or ‘Lakewood Church,’" the disclaimer reads. “Any implication or relation to 'Joel Osteen' and the 'Lakewood Church' is purely coincidental. 'Joel Osteen' is not in any way involved or related to this site and references to 'Joel Osteen' are, again, entirely coincidental.”

In an interview with ABC News, Osteen dismissed the prank.

“You know, I’m really not angry. I don’t feel like a victim,” Osteen said. “I feel too blessed, that life is too short to let things like this get you down.”

He continued: “You can’t stop everything from happening, but you can choose to say, ‘God, it’s in your hands.’ I’m going to move forward. I’m going stay full of joy and I’m going to enjoy this day.”

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Though Osteen dismissed the hoax, many on Twitter fell for it and were shocked by the announcement.

When one person on Twitter asked Osteen directly whether he was leaving the church, someone managing Osteen’s Twitter account responded by knocking down the false report.

Osteen has led the 45,000-person church since 1999, after his father, the founder of Lakewood Church, stepped down. He is one of the most recognizable faces in American Christianity and his ministry says Osteen’s sermons reach some 10 million people a week in over 100 countries.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Pastors

soundoff (1,629 Responses)
  1. faith

"sam stone
    just by the sound of his voice?
    put the bong down, claire"

dorothy explains the creation this way:

April 12, 2013 at 12:43 pm |
    • faith

no! he didn't have a lower status, did he dorothy? seriously?

April 12, 2013 at 12:45 pm |
    • Billy

faith doesn't know how to admit not knowing the answer to something . . .
      send in the clowns of ancient mythology to make faith feel more comfy – there – that's better – calm down faith . . .

April 12, 2013 at 12:47 pm |
  2. faith

the god-haters concede, reluctantly, that jesus christ had a lower status than roman emperors

as he hung there
    naked
    dying
    slowly
    suffocating
    on his blood
    that is gradually filling his lungs

yup, heathen. he had a lower status than Tiberius

April 12, 2013 at 1:55 am |
    • Billy

Arguing with yourself again, faith?

April 12, 2013 at 10:03 am |
    • faith

could gods make a bed? a mushroom? an atom or 2? who made gods? gods! who created them gods? gods. now u r being atheistic.

gods can't exist.

how do you know?

i said so

April 12, 2013 at 12:51 pm |
  3. Joel Oilsheen

I have faith that faith is stupid enough to give me more of her MONEY. I need MONEY to put even more grease in my hair.

April 11, 2013 at 10:21 pm |
  4. clarity

B Schmitt says in the BB article "The money man behind atheism’s activism":

"Brother Maynard, Who do you think the Kings and Queens of Western Europe prayed to; who does Obama, and all US presidents prayed to. They prayed to Jesus Christ, the son of God! And to his father, GOD! It'll be a sad day when America elects a president who doesn't believe in GOD."

I mean WOW – what an exaggeration. Let's see why:

Theodore Roosevelt did not take the oath of office on a Bible in 1901.

John Quincy Adams swore on a book of law.

William Howard Taft, the only U.S. President to also hold the office of Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court:

I do not believe in the divinity of Christ, and there are many other of the postulates of the orthodox creed to which I cannot subscribe.

As Deist Christians, the first five presidents including John Adams, James Madison & Thomas Jefferson were likely to have quite a different notion of God than the Christian God of today. Deist Christians may have followed Christ's teachings, but usually refuted the divinity of Christ. They were always ready to call out on the dark side of organized religion:

I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved – the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced! With the rational respect that is due to it, knavish priests have added prostitutions of it, that fill or might fill the blackest and bloodiest pages of human history. "

(John Adams, in a letter to Thomas Jefferson, 09/03/1816)

Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth.

(Thomas Jefferson, from Notes on the State of Virginia, 1785)

During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry, and persecution.

(James Madison, chief architect of the U.S. Constitution & Bill of Rights – from A Memorial and Remonstrance as delivered to the Virginia General Assembly in 1785.)

John Tyler, the 10th POTUS was a Deist Christian.

Many believe Abraham Lincoln was a Deist.

John Remsburg, in his book Six Historic Americans (1906), cites several of Lincoln's close associates:

After his assassination Mrs. Lincoln said: "Mr. Lincoln had no hope and no faith in the usual acceptance of these words." His lifelong friend and executor, Judge David Davis, affirmed the same: "He had no faith in the Christian sense of the term." His biographer, Colonel Lamon, intimately acquainted with him in Illinois, and with him during all the years that he lived in Washington, says: "Never in all that time did he let fall from his lips or his pen an expression which remotely implied the slightest faith in Jesus as the son of God and the Savior of men."

The Deistic side of John Adams comes out strong in these paragraphs A Defence of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America (1787-1788)

The United States of America have exhibited, perhaps, the first example of governments erected on the simple principles of nature; and if men are now sufficiently enlightened to disabuse themselves of artifice, imposture, hypocrisy, and superstition, they will consider this event as an era in their history. It will never be pretended that any persons employed in that service had interviews with the gods, or were in any degree under the influence of Heaven, more than those at work upon ships or houses, or laboring in merchandise or agriculture; it will forever be acknowledged that these governments were contrived merely by the use of reason and the senses.

Thirteen governments [of the original states] thus founded on the natural authority of the people alone, without a pretence of miracle or mystery, and which are destined to spread over the northern part of that whole quarter of the globe, are a great point gained in favor of the rights of mankind.

April 11, 2013 at 10:20 pm |
    • clarity

That first line should really be: 'B Schmitt in the comments to the BB article "The money man behind atheism’s activism":'

April 11, 2013 at 10:55 pm |
    • lol??

You haven't cleared anything, clare.

"Mat 5:34-37 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne: Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King. Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black. But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil."

April 12, 2013 at 2:49 am |
    • clarity

Sadly, lol??, you can't even tell me who authored Matthew, that you quote from. One things for sure, Christians will lie for their God, which was part of my point above.

April 12, 2013 at 9:03 am |
  5. faith

On the outside, things seemed great for guitarist Brian "Head" Welch. He was a member of one of the most popular heavy metal bands of the '90s, Korn, he had lots of money, and he was partying with some of the biggest names in the music industry. But behind the fame, Grammy Awards, and Billboard hits, Welch was battling many demons–an addiction to crystal meth, depression, and what he described as evil of a spiritual kind. It was only after hitting rock bottom that he found what he believed was missing in his life–God.

April 11, 2013 at 10:14 pm |
    • faith

From Korn to Christ
      Guitarist Brian 'Head' Welch talks about kicking drugs and leaving the rock star life behind for his daughter and God.
      BY: Interview by Dena Ross

April 11, 2013 at 10:15 pm |
    • faith

Welch became a Christian, quit drugs, and dedicated his life to his faith and his young daughter, Jennea. And then he did the unthinkable–he left one of the most successful bands in music history. Currently recording a "God-inspired" album, and now out with a New York Times best-selling book, "Save Me from Myself"

April 11, 2013 at 10:17 pm |
    • faith

I really felt God helped me have the courage to quit. I wasn't happy with Korn for the last few years because my heart was with my kid. She was with her nanny most of the time at home. I was always worried about her and wondering if she felt she was unloved because her mother left her [when she was a baby], and I was never home. It was just a constant battle.

April 11, 2013 at 10:20 pm |
    • Joel Oilsheen

Check out my new pitch. It's called the SlimeBall.

April 11, 2013 at 10:23 pm |
  6. Over 40,000 denominations of insanity

One sect calls homosexuality an abomination while the next one (over 4,000,000 members) in the same denomination is already performing gay marriage.

One sect, the Westboro Baptist Church believes Americans are being killed at war because America is too kind to "fags".

One sect believes women to be subservient, while another sect in the same denomination promotes equality between the sexes.

One sect believes that Jesus and Satan were brothers and that Christ will return to Jerusalem AND Jackson County, Missouri.

Some believe the Pope is the Anti-Christ. Some believe Obama is the Anti-Christ.

Some believe that celibacy is the only option for certain people, or for people in certain positions. Many of the people from these same institutions advocate against abortion, but pretend not to understand the realistic benefit of the morning after pill or even basic contraception; their unrealistic wishful thinking is causing the death of many at the hands of disease.

In the U.S. recently we learned of the head of Lutheran CMS chastising a minister of that church for participating in a joint service for the victims of the Newtown school shooting.

Conflicted right from the very beginning, Christianity continues to splinter and create more extreme divisions as time goes by, constantly subjecting others in its crossfire.

April 11, 2013 at 10:01 pm |
  7. faith

"AtheistSteve
    Vic
    You said; "From a logical stand point, don't you think this universe and life it reveal a MASTER MIND behind them?!"

The universe and everything in it is certainly mysterious and largely still unknown. Still your question seems strange in that we have exactly zero instances where we can say that a mind is necessary to explain our reality. Space, time, energy and motion can all be described in mathematical terms. We have zero instances where molecules or biology react or combine in ways that would be considered directed by a mind but merely by predictable chemistry and physics. How do you go from observing a reality where everything obeys natural laws to concluding that a mind, absent from all of this, is necessary?" lol

April 11, 2013 at 9:45 pm |
    • the real Tom

Wow. Brilliant response.

Who ties your shoes for you?

April 11, 2013 at 9:47 pm |
  8. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

April 11, 2013 at 9:18 pm |
    • faith

Why me Lord?
      What have I ever done?
      To deserve even one
      Of the blessings I've known

Why me Lord?
      What did I ever do?
      That was worth love from You
      And the kindness You've shown

Lord help me, Jesus
      I've wasted it
      So help me Jesus
      I know what I am

Now that I know
      That I've needed You
      So help me Jesus
      My soul's in Your hand

Try me Lord

If You think there's a way
      That I can repay
      What I've taken from You

Maybe Lord
      I could show someone else
      What I've been through myself
      On my way back to You

Lord help me, Jesus
      I've wasted it
      So help me Jesus
      I know what I am

Now that I know
      That I've needed You
      So help me Jesus
      My soul's in Your hand
      Jesus, my soul's in Your hand

kris krisofferson
      johnny cash

April 11, 2013 at 9:56 pm |
    • Jesus

April 12, 2013 at 11:28 am |
    • Really?

"Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things"

That's why the data, has shown that atheists have happier and healthier lives than conservative Christians. Your post is built on a lie!

April 12, 2013 at 11:36 am |
  9. Joel OilSheen

Look at me and my greasy hair in the picture. I'm throwing my latest standard sales pitch: the SlimeBall.

It's named after me and my slippery ways and all that grease I put in my hair.

April 11, 2013 at 7:31 pm |
  10. His panic

Evidently he is not in a state of Panic. I mean he's smiling and throwing a baseball, no Panic there.

April 11, 2013 at 5:52 pm |
  11. lol??

Austin, ti*thes were LAW.

Gal 3:1-2 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Mat 6:3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

It's an abuse and manipulation to call the giving t*i*t*h*e*s*. The pastors will run with it. Discuss it with them and see what happens.

April 11, 2013 at 4:46 pm |
    • lol??

God is the one that sets the value of your gift, not you, the pastor, or the gubmint. So if your accountant demands an amount, think generous like your Father and say, "Well, I don't know exactly but how does 100,000 sound?"

April 11, 2013 at 4:58 pm |
    • Austin

Lol, whats up? How's it going? Que tal.

To be honest, that is the very first time in my life that I have heard anyone say that about ti'the being about the Mosaic portion of o.t. law. (read it ). So that is interesting in my opinion. I would agree that Paul seemed to say that he did work to support himself. Alms are a bit different idea as a gift to something outside the establishment and spontaneous.

It's funny , one of the churches i go to the Pastor absolutely chastised and lectured, almost shouting in disgust trying to motivate people,the rich, to give more than ten percent. I kind of felt weird about it, but I also know that giving tests your faith. Money is something that is hard to part with especially when one is disgruntled financially anyway to begin with.

To be honest, I do not know if the word t;ithe is in the new testament. Do you know? At the same time, the church as an organization that should exist. If our lives our not in danger, we dont need to be underground. Praise and worship and singing as a congregation is all about looking forward and getting ready for heaven. I think that a ti.the is not innapropriate but possibly not necessary but i dont want to commit to that and say i know for sure. Everything is God's right? not only ten percent, but one hundred percent.

April 11, 2013 at 9:24 pm |
    • the real Tom

When you give your god 100% of your earnings and belongings, Austin, do let us all know.

Idiot.

April 11, 2013 at 9:42 pm |
  12. Bible Clown©

Well, however it works out, a lot of people got to call Joel Osteen a tool this week, and that's beneficial to the entire human race. Next week, prank Pat Robertson.

April 11, 2013 at 4:43 pm |
  13. lol??

Jer 51:7 Babylon [hath been] a golden cup in the LORD'S hand, that made all the earth drunken: the nations have drunken of her wine; therefore the nations are mad.

April 11, 2013 at 2:35 pm |
    • @lol??

Get back to your prayer closet, you toothless hick.

April 11, 2013 at 3:02 pm |
    • lol??

No manners, say "Excuse me." when you burp.

April 11, 2013 at 5:08 pm |
    • @lol??

I didn't burp, but you ought to say "excuse me" for all the bull you consistently vomit out.

April 11, 2013 at 10:31 pm |
  14. Bible Clown©

Let's be honest: I believe in a lot of things that are unexplainable. Why, for example, does my wife still love me? She ought to hit me with a frying pan more often. I believe in freedom and friendship and loyalty and patriotism and a lot of things that are hard to quantify or understand. So I don't necessarily find it odd when people believe in one more abstract idea, ok? I just can't see how you start with "Love your neighbor, all men are brothers" and end up with "brand these men as slaves, and if any progressive liberals try to interfere, kill them." How do you get from "give all you have to the poor, and follow me" to "elect Mitt and he'll starve the poor until they all creep away to Mexico?" How do you get from "only through Me will you get to heaven" to "we ought to kill and eat atheists because we can pretend they would do it to us?"

How come Christians are so unforgiving and full of hate? There's only one explanation: you don't believe it either. We are all atheists here.

April 11, 2013 at 1:50 pm |
    • lol??

Bible Clown© sayz,
      Let's be honest:.............."

Sounds, like Nixon with, "I'm notta cwook". He paid ya back by "opening up" China. The mediums cheered.

April 11, 2013 at 2:11 pm |
    • Austin

None of are atheists here. Some of us live out the doctrine of the god of this world.

But even the believers are so stuck in their flesh that whenever they sin they proclaim their insanity. That is the best any of us really are. and that is how pitiful man kind is. There is not one righteous is an understatement, we are all wicked sinners.

Christians are no different. The sinful tent we have is strong and weighs the opposite of faith. What can we do about it? Do you know how terrible it would be if we removed the grace and mercy of God from the spiritual life we live? We would all go to hell. My guess is that the majority of christians play games and reject God from time to time on a daily basis every day. Anger, lust , greed , coveting, pride..........many so called "unintentional sins" are a serious lack of faith. Dismay, discouragement, complaint, these are all signs that a person does not fully take hold of the resurrection.

I am guilty.

You want to start getting into politics ? Not with Christianity. This earthly kingdom has not one shred of split venture with Jesus Christ at all. All a Christian can do is portray morality. God's plan, is to propagate a spiritual kin and seed, while the world goes awry under the Satanic one world new world order. God's plan is to let Satan deceive people, and then let Satan judge and persecute the people that willingly reject God. You reject God and follow Satan? You are going to get an eternal taste of Satan.

April 11, 2013 at 2:27 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Austin

Just because your religion has taught you to hate humans doesn't make it true. There are righteous and good people in this world, and if you're too blinded by doctrinal hatred and control, then that's your problem, not everyone else's.

April 11, 2013 at 2:30 pm |
    • lol??

austin, you walked right into that one. don't let it happen again.

April 11, 2013 at 2:50 pm |
    • lol??

The antichrists can't reach the Lord so they go after the bride, or what they think is the bride. Mobs are not known for using critical thought. They are addicted to the action. FEEEEEELS GUD!

April 11, 2013 at 2:53 pm |
    • oOo

"can't reach the Lord so they go after the bride"

who needs to bother with arguing excuses for something never proven to exist when the flaws in the deception are so visible?

April 11, 2013 at 2:59 pm |
    • @lol??

And you're addicited to showing off your educational level with bad lisps and misspellings. Do grow up, you asinine troll>. Please, do move, since you have shown just how much you hate America, bigot traitor.

April 11, 2013 at 3:00 pm |
    • sam stone

merciful? my gosh, austin....you and your hallucinations

April 11, 2013 at 3:26 pm |
    • PaulB

sam stone
      Surely you've heard, Austin has dreams, not hallucinations. HUGE difference in degree of trustworthiness between the two. Everyone knows that!

April 11, 2013 at 4:41 pm |
    • Bible Clown©

"None of are atheists here." Speak for yourself, please. Religion is a sham and I don't participate in it. I don't worship physics or Richard Dawkins either, so save your weak insults. I don't expect God to save me or help me, so I do that myself, and I help other people as best I can. People are what's real in this world. And your insulting insistence that I must worship the imaginary devil because I don't the imaginary god is just tiresome, like hearing Pee Wee say "I know you are but what am I" a hundred times. It makes you seem really stupid that you can't understand I don't worship things, or else it makes you sound evil and deceitful when you pretend that I do have a religion and it's this or that or satanism.

April 11, 2013 at 4:54 pm |
    • Bible Clown©

"Nixon with, "I'm notta cwook". He paid ya back by "opening up" China" After the events depicted in the movie THE FRENCH CONNECTION, Nixon went to China to make a new connection for China White heroin. Without that, there would have been riots and the Mafia would have withdrawn their support for the GOP.

April 11, 2013 at 4:57 pm |
  15. Stephen Hawking is an Idiot

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV0cmldfZnA&w=640&h=360]

April 11, 2013 at 1:47 pm |
    • WOW

Oh, of course – this song proves Mr. Hawking wrong. Gee, why didn't I think of that. Duh! L O L.

April 11, 2013 at 2:11 pm |
    • PaulB

That's how all science is disproven, with a song. Every musical put's dozens of PH.Ds out of work. 🙂

April 11, 2013 at 4:29 pm |
  16. Bible Clown©

Why would anyone even bother to clone Kirk Cameron? Like we needed two of those unpleasant slimy toads.

April 11, 2013 at 1:41 pm |
    • Sue

Is Kirk GROWING into a PAINs for you?

April 11, 2013 at 4:31 pm |
  17. Bible Clown©

" Atheists are so trapped in the sequencing of time they cannot step outside past, present or future all wrapped up in a tight fist of known scientific laws."
    I would love for some of you believers to demonstrate to the world how you can step outside the past, present, and future. Send me a postcard from 52 BC, and bring me back a moon rock from 2252. Now, do you have any idea at all why we think you are insane? You believe yourself to be outside time, space, and all scientific laws.

April 11, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
    • Chuckles

Seriously!

I read the same thing and thought to myself "how does believing in an invisible god give you the ability to step out of the past, present and future and understand multiple demensions?"

Then again, these are the same people who say they aren't guilty because they've been forgiven already for an imaginary crime, they're way more humbler than you'll ever be, they should win awards with their humiltiy and they love every except anyone that's different from them.

These people are such pros at doublethink that they would put characters from 1984 to shame.

April 11, 2013 at 12:39 pm |
    • Larry

I think that most of them assume that, if an English sentence obeys grammatical rules, it has to be a true statement. I could say that "The four-sided triangle was inside itself and north of the North Pole", but that doesn't make any more sense than "Stepping outside of past, present and future".

April 11, 2013 at 4:39 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

It seems to me that if I'm supposed to step outside of time and space and scientific principles to understand your god, I may as well just imagine the whole thing. But then again, that's exactly right, isn't it? The believer only has imagination and nothing else.

April 11, 2013 at 4:46 pm |
  18. Joel Oilsheen

Love my new pitch – the SlimeBall

April 11, 2013 at 11:02 am |
  19. faith

"faith
    who was jesus, martha?

u r busy with much that has no significance and u avoid that which is more precious than all of the gold and diamonds in the world."

there ain't no proof
    the universe don't count
    it just showed up on tuesday afternoon 14 billion tears ago.

the god-haters no god don't noed what happened and it don't matter
    i love sam is stoned fvck
    she's a cutie

April 11, 2013 at 10:41 am |
    • ..

You need to get medicated.

April 11, 2013 at 12:41 pm |
    • Bible Clown©

"who was jesus, martha?" No, Martha and Jesus were two different people. In fact, they were seen together at the same time.

April 11, 2013 at 4:40 pm |
  20. Joel Oilsheen

My preaching success and all my MONEY is proof that it doesn't take a very "elaborate" hoax to fool religious sheeple.

I like MONEY. You too should give me some of your MONEY so I can buy even more grease to put in my hair.

April 11, 2013 at 10:33 am |
    • lol??

Doesn't say much about americultian education, either. Feel gud education.

April 11, 2013 at 2:25 pm |
    • @lol??

"Doesn't say much about americultian education, either. Feel gud education."
      See this? This is why you are regarded as the most ignorant person on the BB. Gud rhymes with mud which is what lies between your moronic ears.
      Product of home schooling?

April 11, 2013 at 2:57 pm |
    • @Lol

Wait a minute, are you pulling my leg? You're one of those talking cats, aren't you? Admit it. You can NOT haz cheezburger.

April 11, 2013 at 4:42 pm |
    • lol??

No Daddy-O, not a cool cat.

April 11, 2013 at 7:49 pm |