home
RSS
April 13th, 2013

From anger to forgiveness: Man befriends brother's killer

By Rose Arce, CNN

New York (CNN) - The day Anthony Colon heard his older brother had been gunned down in East Harlem, he began struggling with a rage that would last for years.

The anger wore him down. He missed him desperately.

He hated the three men who had fired 13 bullets into his brother who was unarmed.

“Oh, God, it just - it just put so much hate in my life. I hated everybody. I hated everything. It made me to be a person, like a monster,” said Colon, who considered his brother Wilfredo his only stable family.

“I loved him because he always stood up for me from a little kid. He would not even allow me to fight. He would stand up for me, whatever happened, because he always saw that goodness in me.”

But as the years passed the fog of anger began to lift.

He married. Had two children. He welcomed religion into his life.

And, he was overwhelmed by a desire to find reconciliation with his brother’s killer.

“I just wanted it to be OK,” he said.

Then one summer day, a chance encounter while visiting a friend at the Eastern Correctional Facility in Ulster County, New York, changed his life.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

He looked across the room and saw Michael Rowe, one of the men who had murdered his brother.

Rowe saw him too and tried to duck down.

“I was expecting that we would be you know, it would be a fight, some type of physical violent altercation ,” said Rowe.

Rowe recalls feeling remorse and shame, unable to forgive himself for murdering another young man – and afraid of retaliation.

Colon walked straight up to him and said: “Brother, I’ve been praying for you. I forgave you. I’ve been praying I would see you again.”

The meeting would transform both men’s lives.

Rowe had married the same girl he was dating when he went to prison. They were able to have three children together during his imprisonment, and he wanted desperately to parent them even as he served a sentence of 20 years to life.

“I figured I would die in prison. Or at least leave there a very old man with grey hair,” he said.

“I still don’t think that I’ll ever truly be able to forgive myself because of the things that I’ve done. Because I take full responsibility for what I did. And I completely, and as best as anyone could, understand the pain that I have caused.

“I think for me, forgiveness will come in doing good works, trying to help others. But as far as forgiving myself I don’t think I will ever get to that place.”

In prison he was befriended by Julio Medina of Exodus Transitional Community, which prepares inmates for their release.

Rowe studied and soon he got an associate’s degree, then a bachelor’s. As he was studying for his master’s degree in Professional Studies, Colon began visiting him regularly.

CNN Living: A killer in the family

“To have that kind of support from the man whose brother he killed, that is remarkable,” said Medina. “Not only does it lift that cloud of shame that he walks with, but more importantly it allows him to have a second chance with the blessings of the victim's brother.”

The day of his graduation, Colon surprised Rowe by coming to put on his robe. He also came to his parole hearing, where Rowe said this to the board deciding his fate:

“Anthony is my hero. I have two sons, and if my sons grow up to be half the man that Anthony Colon is, I will be an incredibly proud father. And I don’t know if I can sum it up or explain any better than that how I feel about Anthony Colon. He has changed my life.”

Colon believes religion has propelled him to forgive Rowe.

“For some reason I felt that he was dealing with all that he was dealing with. Like condemnation. Self-pity. Just like this hovering darkness that was around. I felt that, when people think that’s strange, but it’s just the part of the nature of a person that’s closely connected to God. There’s a connection with God that can allow you to see past what’s in front of you,” he said.

Rowe was released from prison this week after 20 years, a man who has not seen the world since he was barely grown up.

He showed up at one of his children’s elementary schools with cupcakes and gave her the surprise of her life. He saw the home where he will be living with his wife and three children for the first time. And he went to see Anthony Colon, who he will join at Exodus reaching out to young men at risk.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

“God has a purpose for me. God has a purpose for us,” said Rowe, sitting alongside Colon at the offices of Exodus. “Yes, us,” adds Colon smiling.

Meanwhile, Rowe is adjusting to life on the outside.

He is mystified by cell phones and the gentrification of the neighborhood where he fell into drugs and killed a man.

Exodus is helping him cope with routine life skills that seem overwhelming to him like having the power to make daily decisions over what to eat, when to talk, going outside.

Colon is helping him with that too, so he can see a life beyond prison and they can both put an end to 20 years of pain.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Faith • Spirituality

1. Asher

Grt Fk outta here.......murder cant be.forgiven.....I would have bit his face off his face.....lol.

April 22, 2013 at 12:26 am |
  2. Ed

On the face of it, all this does is make me think that the "forgiving" brother is an idiot.

Had the death been accidental, I could certainly understand it.

However, it was deliberate.

My "on the face of it" reservation is because I don't know why the killing occurred. Did the deceased do something that would understandably enrage the killers?

However, if they simply shot him in order to rob him, or for the "thrill" of the experience, I can't see forgiving any of them, especially without some development, learning something about one of them that might "justify" it.

I refer to those who participated in the killing, not someone who was simply with them, who I might not blame at all.

April 21, 2013 at 8:36 pm |
  3. Brian

Rowe had 3 kids while he was in prison.
    I cant understand why a woman would want kids with a man serving 20 yrs to life for murder.
    Thats just beyond f'd up.
    I guess some women have absolutely no standards.

April 21, 2013 at 7:22 pm |
    • maria

Some people should not BREED ,but of course while he was impregnating her the Government was paying for those kids .....now who will marry him just think about it one of his kind! how proud will be his kids when they find out his father was in jail(a short time indeed) for killing someone unarmed what a example what a role model! welcome to America is the American way isn't ?,this men shouldn't be ever be free!

April 22, 2013 at 5:33 am |
  4. gahh

It would be a cold day in Hell before I would forgive somebody, who killed a member of my family. If they deserve or want forgiveness to help clear their conscience, they would have to get it from God, because they would never never, get it from me. I would have been at that Hearing saying, why would you even consider releasing a murderer back into society? The brother was shot 13 times, and one of the men guilty, has a family and is walking the streets again, while the brother is in his grave. Sickening.

April 21, 2013 at 7:02 pm |
  5. Veritas

No matter what you do. No matter how hard you try. Whether you like it, or dislike it. Whether you plan or don't plan it. Whether you will it or will it, or will against it. God will use you and your life to send a message. You can only do your best to make the message one that justifies your existence.

April 21, 2013 at 6:24 pm |
  6. Miss Manners

It's crazy that he fathered three children while in prison. It's selfish and these people are not fit to be parents. Conjugal visits should not be allowed. The whole point of jail is for prisoners to serve their time and be deprived of their freedom to reflect on what they had done.

April 20, 2013 at 11:09 pm |
  7. john

Nothing is coming, sam. The world has been like this for the longest.

April 20, 2013 at 9:47 pm |
  8. Zinga!

What a beautiful story!

April 17, 2013 at 2:02 pm |
  9. Christianity is a form of SEVERE mental illness

Aside from the guy forgiving the killer. The convict is clearly irresponsible along with his wife. How sad they brought children in this world knowing his situation. The apple will not fall far . I hope CNN does a story in 20 years...lets see how the kids ended up.

April 16, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
    • Turn the other cheek

This religious guy is eating lunch and another dude walks up and says, "There's no such thing as God you retard"
      And the religious guy says, "I"ll pray for your change of heart..go in peace".
      The next day the religious guy is eating the same lunch and the dude walks up, knocks his drink over and says, "There's no such thing as God you stupid retard"
      And the religious guy says, "I'll pray for your change of heart brother, go in peace"
      The next day the guy is still there eating lunch..soon as the other guy walks up he jumps up, throws him to the ground and pummels him.
      The second guy is all bloody and he says, "Hey what was that for"
      And the first guy says, "Oh. I gave it some thought about there being no such thing as God and I wanted you to know I agree with you."

April 16, 2013 at 6:16 pm |
    • Saraswati

There's something seriously wrong with a system that allowed him to father three children while in prison.

April 16, 2013 at 6:19 pm |
    • Ken Margo

@sara........................ I couldn't agree more. I have an even bigger issue with the woman! She couldn't find someone else? What about her future? The man was serving 20 to LIFE! There is plenty of di'ck out there for to get. She has extreme issues with self worth!

April 17, 2013 at 5:44 pm |
    • Saraswati

@Ken, Oh, yeah, the woman definitely has some serious issues. But as a society we could have controlled the situation to at least not hurt anyone but herself. Now we have 3 kids presumably raised by this demented woman and, I'd be willing to bet, on taxpayer money. As a society we let this happen. There are a lot of other scenarios where kids born under sane, reasonable conditions need support that I'd like to see my money spent on instead.

There are a lot of women who go for these jail guys. I suppose if the alternative they have known is worse, like living with drug abusers and people who are physically violent, the thought of a well controlled man in a cage is the best they can hope for, especially if they can't stand the thought of being "alone". Very sad. Look at all those women who were throwing themselves at van der Sloot after he was in prison.

April 17, 2013 at 5:58 pm |
    • Ken Margo

Hello Sara..............How do we control it. We can't force him to have a vasectomy. We can't force her to have her tubes tied. The law allows conjugal visits. What can we do? You mentioned the alternative. How bad can your life be if the "alternative" is 20 to life.

April 17, 2013 at 7:09 pm |
  10. Lycidas

I recommend "The Sunflower" if anyone wants an interesting story focused on the act of forgiveness and it's limitations.

April 16, 2013 at 3:14 pm |
  11. MsMello

My prayers are with both of these gentlemen. Every once in a while an amazing story of forgiveness comes along to show me what I already know. Let petty grievances go and keep working on forgiveness in my own life. Mr. Colon is truly a remarkable man.

April 15, 2013 at 8:32 pm |
    • Rebecca

I agree. The road to forgiveness is a very hard one to take and this man has not only brought healing to himself and Mr. Rowe, but a little bit to the whole of humanity as well!

April 21, 2013 at 7:49 pm |
  12. lagergeld

OH That's how I can get help with college. Murder someone.

April 15, 2013 at 5:53 pm |
    • john

lol

April 20, 2013 at 9:38 pm |
  13. I agree with Johnny B

Thank you, Johnny B! Why can't people simply treat others how they want to be treated... and how they'd want their children to be treated? What does "God" have ANYTHING to do with how we act? Answer: Nothing. He has as much to do with how adults act as Santa Clause does with how children act. Be good... or go to hell. Be good... or coal and onions in your stocking. God doesn't exist... and Jesus Christ was just as crazy as David Kuresh. There is nothing different about what those two men claimed to have been. Not only that... there were MANY crazy idiots who claimed to be the son of god, AND DIED FOR THEIR PEOPLE, before Jesus did. Nothing adds up, folks. Stop dropping your money in those baskets every Sunday and give it to someone who needs it.

April 15, 2013 at 5:10 pm |
    • Satan

see you in hell.....

April 15, 2013 at 7:19 pm |
    • justcallmego

Just because you don't feel GOD doesn't mean IT doesn't exist. It is quite evident there is something missing in your life, not all BELIEVERS put money in plates... most BELIEVERS give it to the NEEDY rather than churches. Hmmm... maybe you should pray and ask for Truth. Matter of fact, I will do it for you... so when you deny it... you will reap the consequences of your actions, then you will either repent and KNOW TRUTH or you...

April 16, 2013 at 4:44 am |
  14. Truthbetold

Remarkable story about a pretty unique person. Not too many people could do that. Really inspiring.

April 15, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
    • ronjayaz

Is it because I'm too old & cynical? I've read that story version a million times. It's the world oldest tear-jerking story ever told. "Father, forgive them for they no what they do?" Who sed it? When did he say it? Where did he say it? Are religious people the only ones who forgive? Psychology says that U shud always move on from HATE. Otherwise. it eats U up!

April 16, 2013 at 12:44 am |
  15. He knows Evil

Could be trying to befriend him and gain his trust.. then when he least expects him... torture and kill him ever sooooo slowly.

April 15, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
    • Shawn

Been watching too much Dexter.
      Too bad we can't see the good in people who choose to forgive others. Truly, this man is an example of what he is being taught, unfortunately, many of us could not do this.

April 15, 2013 at 5:27 pm |
    • ronjayaz

A real sadist comment. Send him off to Afghanistan.

April 16, 2013 at 12:48 am |
  16. mayda

I sincerely respect and admire this man who has forgiven his brother's killer however would I have done it?
    I don't know and I cannot even form an opinion right now. I love my family very much so I think that I would
    want revenge rather than forgive this man and that pains me as well because I know that those who do
    not forgive suffer also.
    It seems so so hard to be able to do that and that is why Mr.Colon should be admired and respected for
    doing what he is doing I don't think I could do it and that makes me feel like a failure.
    I would like to think that I can be like Mr. Colon but I don't think I have the guts, the valor and courage to do so.
    Maybe I really need to work harder in finding God.
    May God bless Mr. Colon.

April 15, 2013 at 4:18 pm |
    • JohnnyB

Where was your god when this kid's bother was being shot 13 times by thugs.. ?? Seriously, enough with the god nonsense.. its for the weak minded and fools...

April 15, 2013 at 4:43 pm |
    • THE TRUTH

JohnyB ... He was there, and he is here now. You have to look at who is weak minded. You deny reality. You make comments from behind a fake name and your angry.....

April 15, 2013 at 4:53 pm |
    • Kris

Oh...I suppose The Truth is your real name? You're a weak minded simpering fool. And for the man in prison...maybe having three kids (ridiculous) while you were in prison wasn't the best idea if you really wanted to "parent" them. I'm more angry that we allow these thugs conjugal visits. Makes me sick.

April 15, 2013 at 4:59 pm |
    • THE TRUTH

Kris.... if your so strong go do something about it. You call me weak minded. I am not angry or mad at anyone. You call me a fool..... I am saved and you are not. You have eternal damnation before you, I don't. I am protected and you are not. Who is the week minded fool now....

April 15, 2013 at 5:06 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@truth

Considering that you seem to need to believe that anyone who disagrees with your religion will be tortured forever to have "peace", it would still seem that you are the weak minded one.

April 15, 2013 at 5:08 pm |
    • THE TRUTH

@hawaiiguest my friend where have you been??? The resident troll has finally shown up. Where is samstone and endofreligion??? Back for another beating ??? to everyone reading this blog, these unsaved dammed sodomites go from one Christian blog to another and try to bully Christians around. Bring it blind pagans....

April 15, 2013 at 5:24 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@truth

How lovely that you immediately show your insanity. Saves me the trouble. Too bad you're so deluded that you can't see your own stupidity.

April 15, 2013 at 5:46 pm |
    • Rodrigo El Obviouso Del Los Santos Y Sanitarios

According to chapter 24 of Matthew, no one is saved. Considering the fact that jesus told his disciples when asked about the end days, "You won't die before I return," in so many words. I guess that whole salvation thing is, as they say at the Kremlin, kaput.

April 15, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
    • THE TRUTH

@hawaiiguest ....Who is the insane one... Why are you even on this blog??? I wonder why you atheist come to Christian blogs and leave your fecal matter of an opinion all over??? You know why, you want to feel empowered and in control....Hate to tell you this but your not in control. Your weak and it shows. Only the weak try to take other people down. Only the weak try to hurt others. Learn form this article, once you find Christ, you can over come any challenge, including your weak minded foolishness.

April 15, 2013 at 5:55 pm |
    • THE TRUTH

@Rodrigo El Obviouso Del Los Santos Y Sanitarios... Maybe you should get a English bible.. Mathew chapter 24 says nothing about what you posted.... It does however inform us of false profits and false teachings, sort of what your doing now....Maybe you should change your name to el diablo instead... Have fun burning in hell charcoal piece.. =)

April 15, 2013 at 6:00 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@truth

LOL wow this is truly hilarious. You're so desperate to validate your unfounded, irrational beliefs.

April 15, 2013 at 6:16 pm |
    • Rodrigo El Obviouso Del Los Santos Y Sanitarios

Funny. But removing items from the bible is a hellworthy tresspass, which is what you've just done, "TheTruth."

Please read the whole chapter. And pay particular attention to verse 34. And I say read the whole chapter, you know, because of context. Something followers aren't used to. No need for interpretation. There you go. One single verse, a "quote" from the jesus itself, and it completely negates the entire religion. Amazing what a little reading can do.

April 15, 2013 at 6:26 pm |
    • THE TRUTH

@hawaiiguest.... the longer you stay on this blog the more you prove my point. If you have it so together and your soo smart, why are you still on a Christian blog??? You keep avoiding this one important question. You keep providing proof that all you moronic atheist have nothing better to do.

April 15, 2013 at 6:27 pm |
    • Rodrigo El Obviouso Del Los Santos Y Sanitarios

This isn't a christian blog. Writers from multiple religious backgrounds contribute to this blog. It's an attempt to cater to a demographic in order to make them feel welcome to CNN.

April 15, 2013 at 6:34 pm |
    • THE TRUTH

Rodrigo El Obviouso Del Los Santos Y Sanitarios.... I am not sure if you are using the book of mormon but the NIV version says this, like I said nothing you were saying.... this part is referring to the end of days, you need to read the whole chapter to understand. You need to read the whole thing and not just take one verse, your such a idiot, this proves how stupid you atheist are. So there is no confusion here it is. Read and learn.
      Matthew 24
      New International Version (NIV)
      The Destruction of the Temple and Signs of the End Times

24 Jesus left the temple and was walking away when his disciples came up to him to call his attention to its buildings. 2 “Do you see all these things?” he asked. “Truly I tell you, not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down.”

3 As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell us,” they said, “when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”

4 Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many. 6 You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of birth pains.

9 “Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. 10 At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, 11 and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12 Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13 but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

15 “So when you see standing in the holy place ‘the abomination that causes desolation,’[a] spoken of through the prophet Daniel—let the reader understand— 16 then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 17 Let no one on the housetop go down to take anything out of the house. 18 Let no one in the field go back to get their cloak. 19 How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! 20 Pray that your flight will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath. 21 For then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now—and never to be equaled again.

22 “If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened. 23 At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. 24 For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. 25 See, I have told you ahead of time.

26 “So if anyone tells you, ‘There he is, out in the wilderness,’ do not go out; or, ‘Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. 27 For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 28 Wherever there is a carcass, there the vultures will gather.

29 “Immediately after the distress of those days

“‘the sun will be darkened,
      and the moon will not give its light;
      the stars will fall from the sky,
      and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’[b]
      30 “Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth[c] will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory.[d] 31 And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.

32 “Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. 33 Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it[e] is near, right at the door. 34 Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

April 15, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
    • THE TRUTH

@Rodrigo El Obviouso Del Los Santos Y Sanitarios ... If you haven't figured out the article has everything to do with Christianity, then it makes perfect sense why you don't get Mathew 24.... I rest my case.

April 15, 2013 at 6:40 pm |
    • Rodrigo El Obviouso Del Los Santos Y Sanitarios

Oh my. You really are dense.

There it is, black and white. Jesus told his disciples that "this generation" won't die before his second coming. See that? Right there. That's not the only time he made this false claim, either. He wasn't speaking of future generations. He was speaking directly to his disciples. About their generation of people. Looks like his watch busted about 2,000 years ago.

You're welcome for this heart-felt lesson on your own belief.

April 15, 2013 at 6:41 pm |
    • LOL!

" this part is referring to the end of days,"

Do you know how many xtians have been saying that throughout the centuries, you're just another dumb one who's just as clueless as they were. LOL!

April 15, 2013 at 6:43 pm |
    • Rodrigo El Obviouso Del Los Santos Y Sanitarios

Correction. This is the "Belief Blog." Not the "Christian Blog." I don't see the term "christian" anywhere in the URL.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/ – Main blog page

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/13/from-anger-to-forgiveness-man-befriends-brothers-killer/ – This page

Hmmmm, no "christian" anywhere in those URLs. Perhaps I missed it in the title?

"Share this on: Facebook Twitter Digg del.icio.us reddit MySpace StumbleUpon From anger to forgiveness: Man befriends brother's killer"

NOPE.

April 15, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
    • LOL!

"Why are you even on this blog??? I wonder why you atheist come to Christian blogs and leave your fecal matter of an opinion all over???"

It's called entertainment and you're it. LOL!

April 15, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
    • THE TRUTH

@Rodrigo El Obviouso Del Los Santos Y Sanitarios ... Is this what your atheist teachers taught you or is this what you learned on your own??? If this is how you interpret that verse then you need to go back to English class and study some more. He means our generation, the disciples and all the way up to ours. Jesus is saying this generation will live to see the 2nd coming not the just the disciples directly. Go back to church and ask our local pastor. Think about what your saying right now it make no sense. So your saying all the billions of Christians got it wrong and you some how got it right. I think not. Nice one, he of low IQ.....

April 15, 2013 at 6:51 pm |
    • THE TRUTH

@LOL... nice of you to show as well, sorry for leaving you out. Well answer the question please.....

April 15, 2013 at 6:52 pm |
    • Rodrigo El Obviouso Del Los Santos Y Sanitarios

You are incorrect, "TheTruth." Why must you make the attempt to interpret? Ah, that's right, you need to make it fit your belief system. I spent many years in the church. I've heard multiple interpretations of this chapter as well as almost every other. I found that interpretation is not needed. You see, this chapter is a direct conversation between the jesus character and his disciples. If you actually read the chapter, it specifically states that they went to him privately to ask the question. He specifically told THEM, not the future people of the world, but THEM, that the "end days" would be in THEIR generation. It states nothing of future generations. If you've read the rest of this book of myths, you'd know that time frames aren't as vague as you'd like them to be. This is merely an example of cherry-picking what you want to be true. For example, one pastor I spoke with about this chapter years ago claimed that the term "coming/going" were synonymous in the original Greek. This was cherry-picked to imply that verse 30 was a reference to the crucifixion. Unfortunately, this does not fit the rest of the chapter, AT ALL. When I pointed this out, the pastor was without words. Less flamboyant as you, and certainly less smug. He understood immediately what this chapter states, and realized that the whole thing is a complete and utter farce. I don't care if you invoke the names of world leaders or "billions of christians." Yes. They were wrong. Every believer on Earth is wrong. YOU, are wrong.

You couldn't even get the content of this blog correct. You think you're going to school me on a collection of books I studied for decades?

April 15, 2013 at 7:10 pm |
    • Rodrigo El Obviouso Del Los Santos Y Sanitarios

Good day to you. You have nothing left to say.

April 15, 2013 at 7:17 pm |
    • THE TRUTH

@Rodrigo El Obviouso Del Los Santos Y Sanitarios... I suppose you read the Latin and Greek version as well??? That's right you haven't.... Twist what you want but I can't teach stupid or eternally dammed. Good luck in life since you have no Jesus you will need plenty of luck..... =O

April 15, 2013 at 7:20 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@truth

Perhaps I enjoy seeing morons like yourself having caniptions because people who disagree with you dare to come onto an open blog and challenge you? Does it matter? Why are you so hung up on why people who disagree come onto an open forum? This is a belief blog right? I don't see the words "Christian only" anywhere. In fact, it's my understanding that this is meant to be a forum for anything related to religious belief, or are you so arrogant that you believe you can determine who's allowed to be here?

April 15, 2013 at 8:03 pm |
    • THE TRUTH

@hawaiiguest.... if you were expressing your opinion with out insulting us then I would agree, if you look up all your posts you insult Christians for there beliefs and I have personally experienced this directly from you. I know you from other posts and the other atheist who follow you around are like a pack of wolves trying to prey on Christians. This is not a belief blog, its about one of Jesus-es main points to forgive sin, even murder. You made appearance on the Chris Tomlin article last and made fun of many Christians and called them terrible things. You have a history of doing this. I am hear to say enough is enough. Leave us alone or get taste of your own medicine...... I am a SOLDER FOR CHRIST and I will make my stand!!!!

April 15, 2013 at 8:13 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@truth

Ooooo spooky. Here's the thing you would actually see if you bothered to look at my past posts. When people are actually willing to have discussions, I'm happy to. I've had good discussions with Robert, Bill (before he went stupid), and other Christians on this site, as long as they were honest, and actually stuck to the topic being discussed.
      People who have no interest in actual discussion, and merely want to come with assertions and get indignant at the audacity of people to not agree and accept what they say because they said it are not worth my courtesy or respect. You have proven this yourself, and continue to prove this whenever I see your posts.
      You can ignore what I actually do all you want, but that doesn't mean your saying anything other than lies.

April 15, 2013 at 8:19 pm |
  17. Drew R

I would hope that I could be Christ-like but think it is more likely that I would be more Wyatt Earp-like.

April 15, 2013 at 4:12 pm |
  18. chau phan

the only reason i would be friend with my brother's murderer is to make my revenge easier.

April 15, 2013 at 4:03 pm |
  19. angad nagra

When I first read this I thought it said "beheads" instead of "befriends".

April 15, 2013 at 3:05 pm |
  20. Sam Yaza

and you think that's doing your brother justice? i cant comprehend the sentiment, i would personally kill the man who killed my unarmed brother. now if my brother died trying to kill another then theirs room for forgiveness; but that man own a eric and i will only except blood. family is vary important, the only thing that would save you is my brother you murdered coming back from the gave and telling my to let it go.

April 15, 2013 at 2:58 pm |
    • Odel

wow. calm down there, goodfellas. If given the opportunity, always choose mercy over justice.

April 15, 2013 at 3:11 pm |
    • Chris R

Forgiveness of what seems unforgivable is at the heart of the Christian ideal. Most people, not even most Christians, actually understand this let alone practice it. What this man did is live up to his desire to lead a more Christlike life.

April 15, 2013 at 3:20 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

sorry dudes Justice over mercy, your mentality is the reason why, the Morríghan's prophesy is coming true.

when the Cross replaces the circle,
      the gods forgotten,
      I shall not see a world that will be dear to me.
      Summer without flowers,
      Kine will be without milk,
      Women without modesty,
      Men without valour,
      Captures without a king.
      ... ... ...
      Woods without mast,
      Sea without produce,
      ... ... ...
      Wrong judgments of old men,
      False precedents of brehons,
      Every man a betrayer,
      Every boy a reaver.
      Son will enter his father's bed,
      Father will enter his son's bed,
      Everyone will be his brother's brother-in-law.
      ... ... ...
      An evil time!
      Son will deceive his father,
      Daughter will deceive her mother.

at last if Amaterasu asked of my i will demand lesser of an eric, maybe a couple cows, some Iron, and land. but if he cannot pay i will take it out in his blood.
      its not just about you but the one he killed as well as his family. like i said if my slain brother forgives him so do i.

April 15, 2013 at 4:24 pm |