home
RSS
April 13th, 2013

My Take: Nothing wrong with Nazi assignment

By Stephen Prothero, Special to CNN

(CNN) – School officials in Albany, New York, are racing to control the damage after a teacher at Albany High School gave students a persuasive writing assignment that challenged them to defend the proposition that “Jews are evil.”

After studying Nazi propaganda and rhetoric, sophomores in three English classes were instructed to imagine that their teacher was “a member of the government in Nazi Germany” and to prove that that they were “loyal to the Nazis.”

But this unidentified teacher is now caught up in a propaganda swirl of his or her own.

Albany Superintendent Marguerite Vanden Wyngaard, at a Friday press conference at which she was flanked by members of the Anti-Defamation League and Jewish Federation of New York, apologized and promised disciplinary action.

One student, Emily Karandy, told The Times Union of Albany that she kept putting off the assignment “because I didn’t want to think about it” and she felt “horrible” when she turned it in.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

New York City Councilman David Greenfield has called for the resignation of the teacher, who has been placed on leave.

"The teacher responsible for coming up with and assigning students with this task must be held accountable for attempting to indoctrinate children with anti-Semitic beliefs," Greenfield said in a statement. "Quite obviously, this teacher lacks the judgment and common sense necessary to have a position of such great responsibility and is clearly not fit to return to the classroom."

"You asked a child to support the notion that the Holocaust was justified, that's my struggle," said Vanden Wyngaard. "It's an illogical leap for a student to make."

I think it’s Greenfield who is lacking in common sense here. And it's the superintendent who is being illogical.

I suppose it is possible that the teacher is a closet Nazi attempting to reconstruct the Third Reich in Albany. But isn’t it more likely that he or she is trying to teach students about the dangers of propaganda and the horrors of the Holocaust?

Consider the student who felt “horrible” about doing this assignment. Is that really a bad thing? How are high school students today supposed to feel about Nazism and the Holocaust?

Apparently, what they are supposed to feel (and think) is nothing, because the lesson high school teachers are going to take away from this fiasco is to avoid this topic at all costs, lest they risk losing their jobs.

When I was an assistant professor at Georgia State University in Atlanta, I used to teach Nazi theology. My students read sermons by Nazi theologians arguing that Jews were evil and were responsible for killing Jesus. They also read a book called “Theologians Under Hitler” by Robert P. Erickson, who tried to explain how and why Christian thinkers could come to believe that exterminating Jews was somehow Christ-like.

I am not a Nazi. I was not teaching Nazi theology as the truth. I was teaching it as propaganda, just like this Albany High School teacher was doing. My purpose was not to make my students sympathetic to Nazism. My purpose was to unsettle them. And to teach them something along the way.

I had two goals when teaching this material.

First, I wanted my students to realize that smart Christians with doctoral degrees supported the Holocaust. Second, I wanted them to grapple with the implications of this fact on their own religious commitments. Do Christians today have any responsibility to know this history and to try to make sure it doesn’t happen again? If so, how can they exercise that responsibility without coming to understand the contours of Nazi thought?

But instead of grappling with these questions, my students almost universally tried to side-step them. The Nazis were not Christians, they told me confidently, because Christians would never kill Jews just for being Jews. Case closed. Time to move on to more comfortable topics.

What I witnessed in Atlanta, and what we are seeing today in Albany, is a failure of imagination. My students were so locked into their current circumstances that they couldn’t imagine things being different in a different place and time.

For them, to believe that Christians could condone the Holocaust was (to quote from the Albany superintendent) an “illogical leap.” But Christians did condone the Holocaust. How can students learn that without digging into the primary materials? And how better to wrestle with those primary materials than by constructing a persuasive essay built upon them?

If I were teaching at Albany High School I might have worded this assignment a little differently. But it's a terrific assignment, and one that should be used at more high schools across the country. To far too many American youth, the Holocaust is an echo of an echo. Assignments like this bring it alive in all its horrors.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

But students aren't the only victims of the failure of imagination we are now witnessing among Albany school officials and Jewish leaders. The teacher is a victim, too. And so are public school teachers across the country who are being told via this fiasco not to be creative as teachers, not to challenge their students to think in new ways.

If this teacher is fired, I will invite him or her to Boston University, where I now teach, to explain what he or she was trying to accomplish in challenging students with this assignment. And I will give the same assignment to my college students. I think it will do them some good.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Stephen Prothero.

- CNN Belief Blog contributor

Filed under: Culture wars • Education • Holocaust • Judaism • New York • Prejudice • United States

soundoff (1,829 Responses)
  1. james hotz

It was Churchill who declared war on Germany, and started WW2 .It was Hitler who pull the world out of a depression and gave every one a job, and made America rich. it was our allies the Ruskies who caused America to go broke with the cold war. Facts are facts. The Jews with money who left Germany , and came to New York., got rich.

April 15, 2013 at 3:29 pm |
    • JC

The Nazis started WWII by invading their neighbors.
      Do we need to do a little bit of research before posting ?

April 15, 2013 at 3:34 pm |
    • bfpiercelk

You're not wrong on the official declaration of war, but that's just a technicality.

Hitler started the war through aggressive action against an Ally of Britain, Poland, and through annexation of territory prior to that.

April 15, 2013 at 3:38 pm |
    • Alias

Troll.
      And a stupid one at that.

April 15, 2013 at 3:38 pm |
  2. Doc Vestibule

As the number of survivors from the so called "great wars" dwindles, their sacrifices are rendered abstract to those who have seen war only through media representations.
    In North America, it is our blessing and our curse.
    We do not see the endless killing fields of nameless white crosses that teach humility.
    We do not hear the echoes of the atom bomb that deafen hubris.
    We do not touch the human abattoirs that remind us of how easily the hearts of men are turned against their brothers.

It is important that our children understand that those who have been labelled villains by history were not evil people in their own minds. A leader with the psychological tools to enable their people to rationalize bigotry will always find followers.
    Having students seriously consider both vantage points – that of the victors and that of the vanquished – helps to make them better prepared to see through the propaganda aimed at them.

April 15, 2013 at 3:28 pm |
    • james hotz

It was Andrew Jackson who said the only good Indian is a dead Indian. And Jefferson Davis who caused 600,000 men to be killed in the Civil War, and Harry Truman who killed 200,000 with the atomic bomb alone.

April 15, 2013 at 3:34 pm |
    • Randall Norris

Great higher order thinking skill and writing assignment. Just shows the fear and power of the Jewish lobby in the United States where anything that is not positive or supportive of their positions, as the Nazis were certainly not (the assignment keep that in mind not the teacher or kids) is automatically labelled evil. This is the problem in America, not the assignment, which should show how ANY group of people, when faced with economic hard times, like the Germans were, look for scapegoats, just as we are now with Hispanics and our ethnic cleansing. No jobs? Must be the Mexicans fault. See how it works? I hope common sense will prevail, but it won't because this teacher has run afoul of the power of the Jewish, prop Israeli lobby, determined to claim the Holocaust for themselves (six million victims) when in fact fifteen million died, including Socialists, Jews, Gays, the retarded, the physically handicapped, gypsies, etc. Those people who refused to be cowed, like me, need to speak out. Randall Norris, Ph.D. Fulbright Senior Scholar, Author, Illinois Humanities Council "Roads" Scholar

April 15, 2013 at 3:39 pm |
  3. vince

If I'm not mistaken, even Martin Luther, the great protestant Christian theologian was very anti-semetic. This is the founder of the Lutheran Church. In fact I believe he wrote a treatise called "On the Jews and their Lies". One could argue that these Christian theologians helped to lay the intolerant environment that centuries later were resurrected for Nazi propaganda. I agree with the author of this article - it is essential to undertand the various viewpoints and thought processes that go into those viewpoints to understand why they occured and people be manipulated - otherwise we learn nothing and the process will repeat itself like history always does...

April 15, 2013 at 3:24 pm |
  4. Walter

Thankfully you're in the minority. But of course CNN managed to dig up a "religious" person who was for the assignment. Yet another pathetic attempt to get people annoyed so they'll spend time on this site.

April 15, 2013 at 3:22 pm |
    • bfpiercelk

Yep, thankfully he's in the minority so we can keep creating more unimaginative youth expecting to get everything handed to them on a silver platter without thinking when they get college, or people who think they can avoid something because it 'offends them'.

April 15, 2013 at 3:35 pm |
  5. Bob

Yes there was something wrong with the Nazi assignment. It was completely tone deaf.

IThis is an emotionally charged issue. It is not enough to point to an abstract reasoning to justifying it. A teacher has to recognize the emotional content of her messages and has an obligation not to send the wrong message to people who receive her messages emotionally, rather than with purely abstract logic.

As for the author's experience teaching a university course in Nazi theology, it is an inescapable fact that the established churches in Germany did very little to oppose the rise of Naziism. By contrast, both Schindler and the family that sheltered Anne Frank made their money in the black market. Thus, criminals who did the works of the righteous in Nazi Germany, while upstanding citizens pretended like nothing was happening. I suggest that we think of this in terms of the Rolling Stones' Sympathy for the Devil: "Just as every cop is a criminal/And all the sinners saints."

April 15, 2013 at 3:21 pm |
    • wjs

So what if it's "emotionally charged"? Presumably they won't be yawning.

April 15, 2013 at 3:40 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

Not only did the churches not try to oppose Hitler, they assisted his rise in power.

Take a look at the 1933 Concordat, the events that led to it, and the repercussions of it.

April 15, 2013 at 3:57 pm |
  6. ItsAMirage

Love how you all are saying "yes this is alright!! I mean it's only making the kids think in a more critical way!!"

Well of course, you, your families, weren't affected (killed) by the NAZIS as Jews were. You people weren't affected, so sure it's ok to called Jews "evil."

Hey, you wanna think critically? How about maybe students should had to write on this subjects......

"Christians are evil"
    "Islam is the righteous path and all Christians must face Allah's wrath"
    "Caucassians, from the early days of Earth's history, have only cause death and destruction to non-white people"
    "The Bible is a myth"
    "The purpose of a gun, is to just kill people"

Yeah, I bet you supporting the "Jews are evil" probably have problems with my topic ideas 🙂

April 15, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
    • Rodrigo El Obviouso Del Los Santos Y Sanitarios

The Jews are not evil. That wasn't the point of the assignment. I'll give you an "F" for common sense.

April 15, 2013 at 3:21 pm |
    • headlessthompsongunner

Not a problem in the world with your topic ideas. Those are perfect for learning propaganda too.

April 15, 2013 at 3:21 pm |
    • ItsAMirage

@ Rodrigo

"....gave students a persuasive writing assignment that challenged them to defend the proposition that “Jews are evil.”

I'm sorry, but what am I missing? We are talking about a period of time where people were hunted an killed just because they were Jews. So besides "imaging" they are evil, they are also suppose to show their loyalty to the NAZI govt?! Well, how did you show loyalty?!
      "Here's 100jews, shot them all and you are a loyal NAZI member!!!"

April 15, 2013 at 3:32 pm |
    • Mark

I'm not the author but I disagree with your premise that he is being limited in his critical thinking views. I actually think ALL of your topics are up for critical debate... at least to the point where the "paper" challenges the writer's pre-conceived notions about the way things are. I applaud the teacher in question and this professor for upholding the idea that blind acceptance is the mortal enemy of thoughtful reflection.

April 15, 2013 at 3:34 pm |
    • penquin

All of your topics should be discussed – I don't have a problem with any of them. The real danger here is not in the teacher's assignment, but rather that the superintendent, who appears to be in charge, and others can be so foolish as to say that Christians could not condone the Holocaust. It is to the great shame of Germany that many "good" Christians turned the other way as their neighbors were persecuted. It is shameful that many Christians participated in the persecutions in all of the countries under German control, it is shameful that the rest of the church going world did little to save the Jews when they knew full well what was happening. Even the pope made an agreement with Hitler. It is shameful that even today there are some Christians who say the wholesale destruction of European Jewish life never happened. Teaching high school age students the dangers of propoganda is a valuable lesson in life. Making them think and sometimes feel bad is important to make them understand how another persecuted group feels. Do you honestly think that any of those students came away from the assignment believing what they were writing? Don't you think they wrote those words knowing that it was wrong to feel that way about other human beings? Do you not think that the teacher was challenging them to move out of their comfortable feel good world and understand that sometimes seemingly good people get caught up in propoganda and believe things that are false?

April 15, 2013 at 3:47 pm |
  7. headlessthompsongunner

We are barraged daily by propaganda
    Fox News does it
    MSNBC does it
    The extra thin model selling perfume does it
    The President does it
    The speaker of the house does it
    The NRA does it
    Those who hate the NRA do it.
    Facebook does it
    Apple does it
    Even the Ford 150 does it

You can't make your way smoothly through life unless you understand the uses and mechanisms of propaganda. Unless you clearly see when someone is trying to manipulate the masses, you're doomed to be a puppet. All this teacher was trying to do was show that anyone can twist logic in such a way as to bolster any argument, regardless how corrupt and disgusting society may find it. The kids would have benefited by the lesson, as well as been disturbed by how easily and often propaganda is used against us.

April 15, 2013 at 3:15 pm |
    • TexanPatriot

That's why I didn't buy a Ford F-150: It would sit in my driveway and spew propaganda at me!!!!

April 15, 2013 at 3:41 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

I'm the innocent bystander,
      And somehow I got stuck
      Between a rock and a hard place.
      And I'm down on my luck.

April 15, 2013 at 3:49 pm |
    • penquin

Exactly!

April 15, 2013 at 3:50 pm |
    • warnat

just when i think hope is lost i read a comment like this and realize not EVERYONE is a brainwashed idiot...thank you

April 15, 2013 at 4:01 pm |
  8. Allison

Of course, the holocaust should be studied at the high school level. However, it belongs in the context of a history lesson before it is used to illustrate of students grasp of a written argument.

Jackson, you would also benefit from a history lesson.

April 15, 2013 at 3:15 pm |
  9. I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Class we have a new assignment for you today in our debate.

You are all delegates to the const!tutional convention of 1787.

The group on my left will argue why states should only count the population of free white men to determine the number of seats in the house of representatives.

The group in my right will argue why states should also count three fifths of slaves to determine seats in the house of representatives.

The group in the middle don't represent anyone who was actually there. You will argue why the question of women voting wasn't even considered.

April 15, 2013 at 3:14 pm |
    • JFCanton

If the goal is to get proportional representation, then it really wasn't important whether women voted or not, was it? They don't change the proportion.

April 15, 2013 at 3:25 pm |
    • Chuckles

Interesting idea for a debate and although uncomfrotable sounding, it could start a real debate and let people present to the class what both sides agreed with at the time.

However, would you give the same assignment in a graded essay without letting the students actually debate one another?

April 15, 2013 at 3:36 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Chuckles,

I think the debate format and working in teams is better for this kind of thing, but I wouldn't object to asking students to frame the argument made by delegates for the slave-holding states as an essay.

It does force students to confront this in a viseral way.

This was a political compromise that the founding fathers of United States made. It had and still has profound repercussions in American history.

April 15, 2013 at 5:06 pm |
  10. JSB

If you have not examined both sides of a debate well enough to argue both sides effectively, then you have not done enough research into the matter to hold any position on the debate. You don't have to agree with the arguments but you do have to know enough about them to understand them and the flaws that are associated with them. The very lack of critical thinking in cases like this show just how easily people are swayed by propaganda (then and now). Of course its always easier to 'think' you are thinking when you let everyone else make all your decisions for you.

April 15, 2013 at 3:12 pm |
  11. justajoe

what would the reaction have been if the teacher asked the students if it would be justifiable to send blacks back to Africa?
    They have been a drain on the economy, have ruined most inner cities, commit the majority of crimes, are more prone to violence, etc., etc.

I for one would like to see such a discussion at the school level and on a national level

April 15, 2013 at 3:10 pm |
    • G to the T

LOL... ever heard of LIberia? I think someone beat you too it..

April 15, 2013 at 3:22 pm |
    • lol??

Those social pwoblems are a result of socie policy.

April 15, 2013 at 3:25 pm |
    • amy

Based on previous posts by luny lol, anything not attached to a chain is a "socie".

April 15, 2013 at 3:35 pm |
  12. Carole Scicchitano

Wow, the anti-Semites are out in force. And CNN, by publishing this opinion piece, becomes the facilitator. Congratulations.

April 15, 2013 at 3:09 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

What anti-Semites?

April 15, 2013 at 3:17 pm |
    • lol??

"While the term's etymology might suggest that antisemitism is directed against all Semitic peoples, the term was coined in the late 19th century in Germany as a more scientific-sounding term for Judenhass ("Jew-hatred"),[1] and that has been its normal use since then.[2]"
      Gotta watch out for those scientific pretenders.

April 15, 2013 at 3:31 pm |
    • lol??

BTW, that was from wiki. Sometimes playing a victim works in the animal kingdom. Like opossums playing dead.

April 15, 2013 at 3:35 pm |
    • Brock

"scientific-sounding"?? Get some help, weirdo.

April 15, 2013 at 3:37 pm |
  13. lol??

The socies made an error going after the "not a Jew". They are now correcting that mistake and going after Christians..

"Rom 2:28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither [is that] circu*mcision, which is outward in the flesh:"

April 15, 2013 at 3:08 pm |
  14. NorCalMojo

This is hardly new. PC puritans have been policing thought for years. Some things are not up for discussion or debate in a public forum. It's been that way for as long as I can remember.

April 15, 2013 at 3:05 pm |
  15. David

It is the same logic that someone can learn that slavery is bad by arguing the point of view that black people are less than human, or that it is good to own slaves. I'm sorry you don't gain insite by arguing against the obvious. What about arguing "why gravity doesn't exist". Again nothing of any value to be learned. Looking at things from a mentally ill point of view does no good from those who are not ill.The exercise should be an example of how people can be sheep and not think in a rational way buy following insane people, Hitler, Koney, Mussolini, David Koresh, etc.

April 15, 2013 at 3:04 pm |
    • Alias

Teaching how people can be convinced to follow an evil leader WAS the point of the assignment.

April 15, 2013 at 3:14 pm |
    • Breeze

Wrong. For current students, the Third Reich is ancient history. By assigning them the task of defending the Nazi position, these students will be forced to fully comprehend its horrors. Or we could just teach students that Nazis were "bad," that "slavery was bad," now go text a friend.

April 15, 2013 at 3:18 pm |
    • ItsAMirage

@Breeze

Wrong!

NAZIS were evil
      Slavery was evil

There, that reads better. By the way, this kids will never fully comprehend the horrors. They will never be enslaved and treated worse than furniture, and they will never be hunted, imprisioned, killed because of who they are.

April 15, 2013 at 3:24 pm |
    • JFCanton

David is at least half right here: look at how poorly someone like Kant, who had no problem with critical thinking, handled racism. If you buy your arguments, it doesn't do you any good to talk about it.

But if I were given this assignment, I don't think I'd have had a problem with it. No one's preventing you from submitting something satirical.

April 15, 2013 at 3:33 pm |
    • Denise

I think this was a wonderful assignment that may not have been explained properly by the teacher. In a school culture where we drill only the knowledge required to pass a standardized test, this assignment allows for emotion, thinking, creativity, and self-reflection. I suggest everyone who has not heard of the Milgram Experiment to look it up. Almost 2/3rd of the test population were willing to physically harm someone even after they were told they could discontinue the experiment at any time. These were common ordinary Americans recruited for the experiment. The Holocaust was a terrible evil that was allowed to happen by a nation full of average ordinary people. Yes this assignment was totally unsettling but we need to know the hows and whys of the Holocaust, especially as the years slip by and it becomes more "distant". Hitler was just one unbalanced crazy evil person but that one person led a nation full of average ordinary people to commit some of the most atrocious acts imaginable- the sheep as you put it.

April 15, 2013 at 3:47 pm |
  16. Michael

The teacher was not espousing the Nazi cause and the assignment was akin to a debate where one side is tasked with taking the side less favored. Kids today are not taught to think; creativity is squashed. Before being able to resist propaganda such as what came out of Nazi Germany 1933 – 1945, one must understand what propagana is, how to identify it and how to deal with it. Instead of forcing termination of the teacher, perhaps the Anti-defamation League should examine the assignment before causing a conflagration.

April 15, 2013 at 3:01 pm |
    • Breeze

Well said.

April 15, 2013 at 3:18 pm |
  17. cryofpaine

Actually we need more teachers like this, not less. The young girl's reaction is exactly what a good teacher is hoping for. It's one thing to recite facts and figures about how many died and abstract causes behind the holocaust, but to force them to face the visceral details, to see how easily they were able to vilify an entire people and get an entire country on board with wholesale slaughter and mass murder, and to examine the tools that they used – you get them to start really thinking about it. To internalize it and really make it have an impact on them. And maybe you prepare them for the future, to recognize when they're being manipulated. Maybe when they see similar arguments against some other group in the future – whether it's gays or muslims or any of the other marginalized groups that could too easily be turned into scapegoats for societal ills – they'll be less willing to blindly follow and more willing to think for themselves (something that is sorely lacking in society today).

April 15, 2013 at 3:00 pm |
    • Pete

When I was a kid, a teacher caught me doing "sieg heil" gestures at a classmate for a laugh. I found it to be a joke, as a 4th grader my knowledge of Nazi Germany was more Hogan's Heroes than Holocaust.

That teacher pulled me out of lunch line, brought me to the library, and made me write out a paper very similar to the topic this class was made to do. I spent only an hour with that teacher reading and writing about Germany. He didn't just want to hear about the atrocities, he wanted me to explain WHY people would allow themselves to witness and perpetrate these awful things.

The answer, of course, was ignorance. Just as my ignorance of these events had caused me to make light and joke about Nazis to my classmate.

The teacher, for the record, was a Jew. And more importantly, a great educator! This man was great with History, Science, Computers, even language classes. It wasn't that he was smarter, but that he was great at finding a different angle of perspective from the book to help those of us that weren't quite getting it.

I think firing a teacher over something that certainly did have educational value is extreme. I remember how shocked and freaked out I was at reading the end of a required book in Elementary School where the main character dies unexpectedly. I had suddenly had issues of mortality and grief thrown upon me for the first time while reading a book that started out innocently enough. It hit me especially hard. The idea that something with this large of an impact (30+ years later) has stuck with me so long, I can't help thinking the attention this teacher is getting just shows how powerful his own lesson was.

April 15, 2013 at 3:29 pm |
  18. Scott

The ultimate problem here is that the students were being taught to think critically and study the notion that there are times the citizenry should examine government policies and actions and question them when necessary
    That just isn't the narrative that the NEA and the (liberal) education establishment are comfortable with.

April 15, 2013 at 2:55 pm |
  19. markie

Giving this ill-framed assignment to college students is one thing; giving it to high school students is quite another.

April 15, 2013 at 2:55 pm |
    • Rodrigo El Obviouso Del Los Santos Y Sanitarios

College students often are too drunk, stupid or wrapped up in sports to bother with completing assignments.

April 15, 2013 at 3:04 pm |
    • Michael

It is never too early to teach kids how to think. Nor is it ever too early to teach kids the underlying factors involved in wars or battles. For example, how many kids today understand the root causes of WW2? It souds like the assignment was properly framed. If one, or more, of the students experienced angst over the assignment, that's a good sign, for they are THINKING about it, the causes, ramifications, etc.

April 15, 2013 at 3:05 pm |
    • Pete

I'd say you're selling kids short. But then I look at the initial reaction to the assignment that caused all this, and wonder instead if I've given them too much credit.

April 15, 2013 at 3:38 pm |
  20. jackson

What worries the jews is that in spite of the propaganda there actually were many valid reasons why the german population had such disdain for jews, not that that should justify murder. Its that information that the jews have done an outstanding job of keeping quiet over the course of the past seven decades and they'd like to keep it that way.

April 15, 2013 at 2:53 pm |
    • heywood

Any examples that you can show? 70 years is a long time, enlighten me, please. And dont tell me your one of those who only likes the dead Jew in your church that you kneel and pray to. I assume he was ok?

April 15, 2013 at 3:06 pm |
    • Chimo

April 15, 2013 at 3:43 pm |
    • Chimo

Now why is it that you make an asinine statement like that but then do not back it up with examples? It's because you have no examples which for you are "legitimate reasons why Germans suspected the Jews of undermining and selling out Germany) The way the assignment was presented was extremely offensive, and especially now when all over America at College campuses, you have these ultra left wing pieces of crap calling for Israel to be taken apart and replaced with "Palestine" which would be just another Islamic Arabic country with no democracy.

April 15, 2013 at 3:44 pm |