home
RSS
April 13th, 2013

My Take: Nothing wrong with Nazi assignment

By Stephen Prothero, Special to CNN

(CNN) – School officials in Albany, New York, are racing to control the damage after a teacher at Albany High School gave students a persuasive writing assignment that challenged them to defend the proposition that “Jews are evil.”

After studying Nazi propaganda and rhetoric, sophomores in three English classes were instructed to imagine that their teacher was “a member of the government in Nazi Germany” and to prove that that they were “loyal to the Nazis.”

But this unidentified teacher is now caught up in a propaganda swirl of his or her own.

Albany Superintendent Marguerite Vanden Wyngaard, at a Friday press conference at which she was flanked by members of the Anti-Defamation League and Jewish Federation of New York, apologized and promised disciplinary action.

One student, Emily Karandy, told The Times Union of Albany that she kept putting off the assignment “because I didn’t want to think about it” and she felt “horrible” when she turned it in.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

New York City Councilman David Greenfield has called for the resignation of the teacher, who has been placed on leave.

"The teacher responsible for coming up with and assigning students with this task must be held accountable for attempting to indoctrinate children with anti-Semitic beliefs," Greenfield said in a statement. "Quite obviously, this teacher lacks the judgment and common sense necessary to have a position of such great responsibility and is clearly not fit to return to the classroom."

"You asked a child to support the notion that the Holocaust was justified, that's my struggle," said Vanden Wyngaard. "It's an illogical leap for a student to make."

I think it’s Greenfield who is lacking in common sense here. And it's the superintendent who is being illogical.

I suppose it is possible that the teacher is a closet Nazi attempting to reconstruct the Third Reich in Albany. But isn’t it more likely that he or she is trying to teach students about the dangers of propaganda and the horrors of the Holocaust?

Consider the student who felt “horrible” about doing this assignment. Is that really a bad thing? How are high school students today supposed to feel about Nazism and the Holocaust?

Apparently, what they are supposed to feel (and think) is nothing, because the lesson high school teachers are going to take away from this fiasco is to avoid this topic at all costs, lest they risk losing their jobs.

When I was an assistant professor at Georgia State University in Atlanta, I used to teach Nazi theology. My students read sermons by Nazi theologians arguing that Jews were evil and were responsible for killing Jesus. They also read a book called “Theologians Under Hitler” by Robert P. Erickson, who tried to explain how and why Christian thinkers could come to believe that exterminating Jews was somehow Christ-like.

I am not a Nazi. I was not teaching Nazi theology as the truth. I was teaching it as propaganda, just like this Albany High School teacher was doing. My purpose was not to make my students sympathetic to Nazism. My purpose was to unsettle them. And to teach them something along the way.

I had two goals when teaching this material.

First, I wanted my students to realize that smart Christians with doctoral degrees supported the Holocaust. Second, I wanted them to grapple with the implications of this fact on their own religious commitments. Do Christians today have any responsibility to know this history and to try to make sure it doesn’t happen again? If so, how can they exercise that responsibility without coming to understand the contours of Nazi thought?

But instead of grappling with these questions, my students almost universally tried to side-step them. The Nazis were not Christians, they told me confidently, because Christians would never kill Jews just for being Jews. Case closed. Time to move on to more comfortable topics.

What I witnessed in Atlanta, and what we are seeing today in Albany, is a failure of imagination. My students were so locked into their current circumstances that they couldn’t imagine things being different in a different place and time.

For them, to believe that Christians could condone the Holocaust was (to quote from the Albany superintendent) an “illogical leap.” But Christians did condone the Holocaust. How can students learn that without digging into the primary materials? And how better to wrestle with those primary materials than by constructing a persuasive essay built upon them?

If I were teaching at Albany High School I might have worded this assignment a little differently. But it's a terrific assignment, and one that should be used at more high schools across the country. To far too many American youth, the Holocaust is an echo of an echo. Assignments like this bring it alive in all its horrors.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

But students aren't the only victims of the failure of imagination we are now witnessing among Albany school officials and Jewish leaders. The teacher is a victim, too. And so are public school teachers across the country who are being told via this fiasco not to be creative as teachers, not to challenge their students to think in new ways.

If this teacher is fired, I will invite him or her to Boston University, where I now teach, to explain what he or she was trying to accomplish in challenging students with this assignment. And I will give the same assignment to my college students. I think it will do them some good.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Stephen Prothero.

- CNN Belief Blog contributor

Filed under: Culture wars • Education • Holocaust • Judaism • New York • Prejudice • United States

soundoff (1,829 Responses)
  1. Kevin

To those who think this could never happen again, that a population could not be swayed to hate an ethnic group to the level of wanting them wiped out, I'll just point out that a very large percentage of americans could be swayed to feel exactly that towards muslims. In fact there are already a scary number of americans who actually believe it is justified, and desirable, to "turn Iran into glass". The same mentality is also growing towards North Korea. All it would take would be a sucker-punch from NK to push it over the edge

April 16, 2013 at 12:55 am |
    • endwrapper

Reagan should have been held more accountable for this fiasco:

April 16, 2013 at 1:06 am |
    • lol??

North Korea is probably on Obama's payroll so he can declare martial law. In the spiritual realm it makes perfect sense. Just a little tiff between the socies in washington and the ones across the Pacific. Seas to shining seas. BBBbbbbwwwwahahahaha

April 16, 2013 at 1:08 am |
    • James Foley

@lol??... you're a wacko.

April 16, 2013 at 1:17 am |
    • biggles

Do not forget to report all the hate speech aimed at christians

April 16, 2013 at 1:19 am |
    • hal 9001

April 16, 2013 at 1:20 am |
    • lol??

Here come da judge, errr mob, the Sodom and Gomorrah powaticians. Ward boss on three!

April 16, 2013 at 1:24 am |
    • lol??

Or is it "Three on a match", socies??

April 16, 2013 at 1:42 am |
    • lol??

hal 9001 sayz,
      "I'm afraid your assertion is quite correct, "James Foley". "lol??" is, in fact, "wacko"."
      Have you no shame computerzoid? You know darn well the world runs on Boolean and yet you continue to support the dialectic!

April 16, 2013 at 2:05 am |
  2. Lizard Lance

Whenever one offends Jews, it's anti-semitism and immediate removal from your position is warranted. Whenever one offends any other religion or ethnicity, it's educational and should be promoted. That's the way it is with Jews in the United States. They are easily offended over the smallest phrases but when it comes to maintaining an unbalanced economic system that favors themselves, they are perfectly fine with it.

April 16, 2013 at 12:41 am |
    • James Foley

and your'e no better than the tin foil hat wearin tea partiers :/ Get a clue.

April 16, 2013 at 12:49 am |
    • lol??

".....Get a clue."

From you?

April 16, 2013 at 1:03 am |

Precisely

April 16, 2013 at 1:17 am |
  3. James Foley

@Carol... Yes, it would be exactly the same and for the exact same reasons. This was an assignment for one project for one class, and not meant to carry on with the student. I for one couldn't imagine any student taking their arguments to heart that weren't already corrupted by their parents.

@the other guy... PC is just a way for people to attack Common Consideration. PC is a nonsense label.

April 16, 2013 at 12:40 am |
    • lol??

".....PC is a nonsense label."
      Works for socies to rule over their victims.

April 16, 2013 at 1:01 am |

Nonsense

April 16, 2013 at 1:17 am |
  4. Draeggo

My gosh these school administrators are ignorant. No other way to put it. Also Mr. Greenfield needs to be held accountable for trying to do the same thing in the opposite direction. We are all hypocrites in some ways... but Greenfield takes the cake. Amazing how some people just don't apply the same rules to themselves as they do to everyone else. Abject ignorance can be a Weapon of Mass Destruction when found in our public officials.

April 16, 2013 at 12:25 am |
    • James Foley

Ok, so you've made a claim, now back it up with support

April 16, 2013 at 12:30 am |
    • lol??

Draeggo
      My gosh these school administrators are ignorant......"

Can't expect much from servants with a one man dance, the dialectic. Socies love that one man band.

April 16, 2013 at 12:59 am |
  5. Austin

New International Version (©2011)
    my people are destroyed from lack of knowledge. "Because you have rejected knowledge, I also reject you as my priests; because you have ignored the law of your God, I also will ignore your children.

Ed
    " Also, I find it sad that students believed that Christians would not kill Jews for being Jewish just because they are Christian. In the bible Jesus was said to have been killed by the Jewish authorities, and the rest of his followers also persecuted by Jewish and Roman authorities"

So far this is the only attempt I have seen to link the nazi thought to the bible, and this is pitiful. Ed finds it sad to think that someone would believe Christians would not kill Jews.

Ed your ignorance is stank like a dead body.

April 16, 2013 at 12:18 am |
    • Austin

Ed , why did Jesus become a man? Why did God, in human essence, come to die on a cross?

April 16, 2013 at 12:23 am |
    • PaulH

Austin
      Why indeed! Is there a logical explanation for all that, or only the theological one?

April 16, 2013 at 12:29 am |
    • lol??

PaulH, yup.

April 16, 2013 at 12:55 am |
  6. Amanda

Critical Thinking people.... since when did it become wrong to teach people to understand opposing viewpoints?

April 16, 2013 at 12:18 am |
    • Austin

What is your understanding of Hitler?

April 16, 2013 at 12:24 am |
    • Daniel

@Austin children need to be educated about Hitler and the Holocaust to understand what he did was wrong and learn the reasons, illogical or otherwise, why he did those things. It is the best way to prevent another Hitler in the future.

April 16, 2013 at 12:59 am |
  7. billybilly

Teaching students critical thinking and the dangers of propaganda is not the same as indoctrinating them to be come anti-semites. This teacher perhaps should have chosen another era to teach this lesson from but it is never the less a good lesson. Do you want the youth of this nation to be sheep believing everything they are told, or would you rather them learn to read through the BS and think for themselves?
    ""You asked a child to support the notion that the Holocaust was justified, "–That was not the assignment at all and Mr. Wyngaard should be ashamed of this misrepresentation of the issue. The assignment was to understand propaganda and rhetoric, putting many outside their comfort zone, as it should. Instead what these children have learned is to avoid anything that may make them uncomfortable, and thus losing insights into how otherwise good people like the average german citizen at the time could allow such atrocities to happen.
    Let us take a lesson from Anne Frank who wrote, "Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart."
    Good people can do bad things, even if it is by doing nothing, and this lesson has been lost because it makes some uncomfortable.

April 16, 2013 at 12:14 am |
    • amy

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart."

Very true – even beliebers.

April 16, 2013 at 12:23 am |

Amen

April 16, 2013 at 12:32 am |
    • lol??

."........................Anne Frank who wrote, "Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart................." Very woeman antichrist and unTrue.. The humanoids are dirtball dustballs that need a savior. Socies feel gud about NOT needing a savior. Party on......

April 16, 2013 at 12:51 am |
  8. ronjayaz

First of all, is this a history course? If not, arent there more recent examples of propaganda & how it can be destructive of one group over another. A one-sided argument (mandatory) may not be in the preview of the student. This assignment seems to be designed, whether deliberate or not, to resurrect a past that was so heinous that it's not worthy of talking/writing about. Secondly, I think BULLYING wud've been the better theme. The teacher shud be fired post ha(s)te.

April 15, 2013 at 11:52 pm |
  9. Reality

Stevie P's Religion Department's name should be changed to the Mostly Myth Department. Time we skip his commentaries.

April 15, 2013 at 11:48 pm |
    • Ajax

Here Here.

April 16, 2013 at 12:21 am |
    • Ajax

Or is it? Hear Hear.

April 16, 2013 at 12:22 am |
  10. Austin

hey wouldnt it be a great idea to kill a bunch of people? go Hitler go. wow. I can really see how these doctoral brilliant people got bored and the fad was " lets kill millions."

April 15, 2013 at 11:29 pm |
    • Austin

If you could have it your way..............which race of people would you kill off? come on? who is it?

are you serious? These doctoral brilliant people were absolute freaks. they were far from ordinary.

when is the last time YOU voted for war?

April 15, 2013 at 11:32 pm |
    • arrow2fast

what a dumb comparison.

April 15, 2013 at 11:33 pm |
    • Rob

"doctoral brilliant people"?

LOL

It's just an exercise, dude, to make you think outside your normal zone – as some say to learn the enemy. Someone earlier said you could do the same thing looking at school shooting murderer. Sick as it sounds, it could be a similar exercise with that Lanza dude being a Christian and all like Hitler.

April 15, 2013 at 11:39 pm |
    • Austin

That is just vain though, to sit there and pretend you are a nazi. I'm sorry, I think that they should let kids put earlier if they don't have anything better to do than pretend they are nazis. I don't mind listening to Hitler, or reading what they published as propaganda, but to play the role of a nazi, that is unnecessesary. How que.er do does one need to act to learn.

Idiotic. I think that teacher is way to in to herself.

April 15, 2013 at 11:56 pm |
  11. Colorado Mike

You definitely belong at CNN, Stephen Prothero. Probably at Al Jazerra, too!

April 15, 2013 at 11:18 pm |
    • James Foley

An you're missing a great show on Faux News... it's the one where they all p[reach that Jim Jones was actually correct, but the lefty socialists spread their hateful propaganda about him. Poor lil saint that he was. Keep drinkin that coolaid dude.

April 16, 2013 at 12:47 am |
  12. David V.

He states that Christians condoned the Holocaust. Blanket statement and incorrect. Some Christians did. Another point I'd like to make: I teach 7th grade theology and have often taught teens in H.S. While I agree that this assignment is a valid assignment, it's not for H.S. age students. Common sense would tell you that if you were going to do this, you would need parental approval. That's just common sense.

April 15, 2013 at 11:15 pm |
    • David

On point, and well said.

April 15, 2013 at 11:28 pm |
    • Carol

The assignment was for high school students to argue that Jews are "evil." Would your reaction be the same if the assignment was to argue African-Americans or women or Hispanics are "evil." Totally inappropriate in this day of increasing Anti-Semitism. There are other ways to argue the point meant in the article without this assignment.

April 15, 2013 at 11:34 pm |

April 16, 2013 at 12:46 am |
  13. lol??

The kids put up with bullying day in and day out, and arre just trying to survive the social pressure. So the adults want them to switch gears and study adult bullying? It might be too much for some and they should have an opt out.

April 15, 2013 at 11:10 pm |
  14. Ed

I do not believe that the teacher should have been fired for this. It is often a good idea to understand both sides of an argument, or else one does not truly understand. Also, I find it sad that students believed that Christians would not kill Jews for being Jewish just because they are Christian. In the bible Jesus was said to have been killed by the Jewish authorities, and the rest of his followers also persecuted by Jewish and Roman authorities. The fact that the Germans actually voted Hitler chancellor before he turned the place into a dictatorship also showed that the Nazis had popular support from Germany's mostly Christian population. I find it saddening that our country is so closed-minded. Perhaps this is why the majority of us have little understanding of our own history, but maybe that can be blamed on the schools...

April 15, 2013 at 11:07 pm |
    • Carol

Your knowledge of history is faulty. First, Hitler was not "voted" Chancellor by "the Germans." Second, before Hitler was appointed Chancellor (by those in the mistaken belief he could be "controlled") the Nazis had never had even close to a majority in the Reichstag. A majority could only be achieved after the Nazis terrorized, arrested and chucked opponents into concentration camps. Hitler ruled by decree.

April 15, 2013 at 11:40 pm |
    • Austin

New International Version (©2011)
      Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place."

April 16, 2013 at 12:06 am |
    • PaulH

Austin
      Yet, during the Nativity, angels were all over the place. They could be there for him then, but not at the end. Funny how they couldn't be around when he could really use a miracle.

April 16, 2013 at 12:38 am |
    • James Foley

JEsus Schmeezus... Odin promised to rid the world of Frost Giants, Jesus to rid the world of Evil... I don't see any Frost giants around here, do you?

April 16, 2013 at 12:43 am |
  15. lol??

Socies sure do know how to make and corrupt gubmints with their white horse, red horse, black horse, and pale horse. The last one is a little sickly, turning green. That be you americutians. When everybody has insurance, nobody has insurance.

April 15, 2013 at 11:02 pm |
    • Austin

Revelation 9:3 ►

And out of the smoke locusts came down on the earth and were given power like that of scorpions of the earth.

April 15, 2013 at 11:09 pm |
    • PaulH

Why not just send scorpions in the first place? It's almost like God is making a show of evolving locusts into another species right before your eyes. Truly the end of the world for you guys!

April 15, 2013 at 11:33 pm |
  16. arrow2fast

While a student in high school, I was part of the class which was assigned to defend Lady Macbeth. (yes, the one from Shakespeare). Our group played the "devil advocate" attempting to find justification for her actions. The other half of the class was given the easy task of proving her guilty.
    To make long story short, I was the leading defense counsel and the "jury" found her not guilty based on our group arguments.
    None of us believed that she did the right thing, but our arguments were more convincing and the "prosecution" didn't do their job because of complacency.
    We learned about building strong arguments, standing up to one's beliefs, exploring alternative viewpoints and dialogue.
    Perhaps the teacher in the Nazi assignment should have done it in the defense/prosecution form, in which case her intentions would be more obvious. She should have explained to the students the purpose of the exercise instead of opening herself to attacks by the politically-correct.
    I am as pro-Semitic as it gets for a non-Jew, and anti-Nazi (my own family members perished in concentration camps), but there is absolutely nothing wrong in discovering the truth through a "devil's advocate" method.
    After all it was Hitler himself who muzzled and killed his opponents and burned the books he disagreed with.
    The politically-correct seems to be going down the very path they so abhor.

April 15, 2013 at 10:59 pm |
    • jamesfoley

Very Astute

April 15, 2013 at 11:00 pm |
    • lol??

"..........through a "devil's advocate" method.........." Plenty of those around, and in fact are the majority. Christians are the narrow path.

April 15, 2013 at 11:06 pm |
    • Andrew

I agree. While reading the assignment I cringed, because it was phrased in a way bound to blow up, but the goal of the assignment, and the skills it forces you to obtain, are important and serve you for the rest of your life.

Justifying a loathsome position forces you to understand the reasoning of the opposing side. I'm generally scared most of the people who refuse to examine what was said. If you're that afraid to examine history, it seems you might strive to repeat it.

April 15, 2013 at 11:16 pm |
  17. Mark

You are a DUMB-ASS!!!

April 15, 2013 at 10:49 pm |
  18. Seriously? Really? Reaaaally?

The very idea that some of you could even support this assignment is sickening.

This is one of the most ridiculous concepts I've read in a very long time, the support for it is absolutely abhorrent, and the idiocy being expressed that people would appreciate this kind of "critical thinking" paper as an actual concept at any level below the college curriculum is pitiful.

Grow up, learn what is appropriate for kids, as you obviously don't know what is appropriate yourselves.

April 15, 2013 at 10:44 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

What are you so afraid of in this assignment? That kids will actually learn what constant fear-mongering, propaganda, and lies can lead to?
      You try to discredit this assignment, yet give absolutely no argument against it at all.

April 15, 2013 at 10:49 pm |
    • jamesfoley

Uncomfortable for you is it? Good. Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it. The assignment was not an advocation of nazi principles, but an assignment for learning. Know the difference.

April 15, 2013 at 10:58 pm |
    • Andrew

My grandfather fought in WWII, I have met holocaust survivors, my dad's side of the family is jewish, and I fully agree with Stephen's reasoning for the assignment.

(And I agree, I'd have worded the assignment differently)

It's important to understand why people argued things in the past. It's very easy to whitewash history. There were brilliant minds, racist, bigoted, but brilliant minds defending slavery. There were brilliant Nazi thinkers. It's very easy to let yourself be deluded into believing truly vile things.

For that reason, arguments like this are important. Writing an essay to defend why interracial marriage should be illegal forces you to have a better understanding of why the arguments made back then sounded nearly identical to the ones about gay marriage now.

Whitewashing history lets it repeat itself. Forcing students to challenge their perceptions, and truly understand that it wasn't just "bad people doing bad things", it's forcing students to understand the nuance of history.

If you're afraid of this assignment, you're afraid of learning what people really said. That speaks of people afraid to see that their own views are mirrors of history.

April 15, 2013 at 11:10 pm |
    • yahhoo

really andrew? gay marriage is just like interratial marriage?

yahhoo
      maybe to teach gay awareness they can bring in hot dogs with dog sh.it on them and eat them.

April 15, 2013 at 11:14 pm |
    • Rob

What's "interratial"?

April 15, 2013 at 11:19 pm |
    • Dippy

That's how an illiterate person spells interracial.

April 15, 2013 at 11:34 pm |
    • Dippy

They can't spell shit either.

April 15, 2013 at 11:36 pm |
    • yahhoo

maybe poop dick is different that enterratial

April 15, 2013 at 11:38 pm |
    • Rob

Dippy, sounds like someone's a little bitter – like his sister denied him again tonight. I can't imagine yawyhooo that is... lol

April 15, 2013 at 11:48 pm |
    • James Foley

@yahhoo... yes, Gay Marriage and interracial marriage are the same. When you park your car do you gay park it? no. Then when you get married you don't gay marry or straight marry or interracial marry... you just marry. Marriage is marriage. This man and woman crap is just some idiots way of pretending he's more special than someone else.

April 16, 2013 at 12:37 am |
  19. Cyn

One of the best articles I've read in a long, long time! Kudos to Stephen Prothero! This is exactly what is wrong with our public schools, why kids are dropping out/not learning anything, and why a majority of the best & most promising young teachers quit in their first 3 years of teaching.

Believe it or not – my 4th grade class in N. VA (1960's) had a similar assignment. We studied Naziism. We studied everything! We used our imagination and creativity every day. I loved school and loved the best teacher I ever had...and the most unorthodox, creative, thinking outside the box lady ever – Ms. Jacobsen!! We learned more in her class than all the others combined. She was FREE to TEACH!! And thus we learned to LOVE learning!

No one revised history in HER class! Not the do-gooders or politically correct crowd..... Hope that wonderful teacher keeps her job – she's a 21st Century Ms. Jacobsen. And they don't make many of those anymore! CC

April 15, 2013 at 10:24 pm |
    • Carol

I have no issue with asking students to take sides and make an argument. The assignment was for high school students to argue that Jews are "evil." Would your reaction be the same if the assignment was to argue African-Americans or women or Hispanics are "evil." OF COURSE NOT. Totally inappropriate in this day of increasing Anti-Semitism. There are other ways to argue the point meant in the article without this assignment.

April 15, 2013 at 11:43 pm |

April 16, 2013 at 12:38 am |
  20. canuck57

And the reason this assignment is bad is because.....????? This teacher should be up for teacher of the year award as it helps educate the class on why such discrimination is evil. Well done on her part. Too bad so many politically correct morons have to constantly get in the way of good education.

April 15, 2013 at 10:04 pm |
    • jamesfoley

By politically correct morons you mean conservative bible thumpers right? 😉

April 15, 2013 at 11:00 pm |
    • Atheist, me?

james
      read the article and comments! both sides are guilty of PC

April 15, 2013 at 11:09 pm |
    • Carol

I do not quarrel with the idea of arguing a side, illustrating the "evil" of the Nazi theology and governance. Having a writing assignment to argue a value judgment – "Jews are evil" – is what is just plain wrong in this day of increasing Anti-Semitism. Would you all feel the same if the students were asked to argue that "African-Americans are evil." Of course not.

April 15, 2013 at 11:54 pm |
    • James Foley

@ Carol... The answer is Yes, it would be exactly the same and for the exact same reasons. This was an assignment for one project for one class, and not meant to carry on with the student. I for one couldn't imagine any student taking their arguments to heart that weren't already corrupted by their parents.

April 16, 2013 at 12:41 am |