home
RSS
April 16th, 2013

My Take: Light will conquer darkness in Boston

Editor's note: Danielle Elizabeth Tumminio is an ordained Episcopal Church priest and author of "God and Harry Potter at Yale: Teaching Faith and Fantasy Fiction in an Ivy League Classroom."

By Danielle Elizabeth Tumminio, Special to CNN

Boston (CNN) — At 4 a.m. on Patriot’s Day, I huddled in the cold and dark on the Lexington town green that’s across from the church where I work as a priest, awaiting the reenactment of the first battle of the American Revolution.

As the sun rose, a small group of haggard colonists assembled. None were in military uniform; they seemed to have difficulty forming a straight line. And when the British marched towards them with their elegant uniforms and disciplined formation, they outnumbered the colonists more than 2-1.

It looked to be a slaughter.

As the “shot heard 'round the world” fired, the colonists scrambled, some dying in the skirmish and others retreating, running away to safety.

To the casual observer like myself, it looked like defeat — defeat of their hopes for freedom, liberty and democracy; defeat of goodness and light. But that defeat turned out to be the call that brought out reservists from all over the Boston area. Ordinary colonists left their homes to hide behind trees with their weapons, haunting the British as they marched back to Boston. The efforts of those ordinary men and women eventually led to victory for our country and the ideals it sought — and continues to seek—to embody.

Less than 12 hours after I attended the reenactment, I heard a different “shot heard 'round the world,” this time a few miles from my home where I was working. The Boston Marathon bombing shook me, as it shook many of my fellow Bostonians. It was a reminder that our world carries hazards and injustice.

An 8-year old boy dies.

Marathon runners have their legs amputated.

Since the blast, I’ve heard some people say this changes everything for Boston, for the marathon, for Americans’ sense of safety in the world. I don’t agree. Our world is scary, unstable, dark as 4 a.m. on the Lexington town green. In the collective history of humanity, it’s been a long time since there hasn’t been tragedy — a life taken too soon, a body hurt by a bomb or a gun or a crippling disease.

The Boston bombings are nothing new. They are simply one more reminder that, at some level, our world is not secure, even though, as comedian Patton Oswalt famously posted on Facebook Monday, “If it's one person or a HUNDRED people [who bombed Boston], that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out.”

It creates a paradox for me as a religious leader to acknowledge the seemingly eternal presence of this darkness while I stand with the fundamental Christian tenet that light overcomes it. That paradox can test any person’s faith, rendering hope complex, messy. That paradox challenges me as I think about this Sunday morning, and what I will preach to my congregation as I stand in the pulpit of my Lexington church.

So what I will tell them is this: I will not deny the darkness. I will not deny its power. But I will remind them — and perhaps myself a little bit too — to think about tragedy the same way our forebears did. It may seem we are outnumbered in our battle against evil. It may seem we’re standing alone and haggard, outgunned like those militiamen who fought for our country’s independence 238 years ago.

Yet just as in those early battles of the Revolution, there are reservists who want the light to win.  There are ordinary people who step out into danger, into darkness, to shine a light. On the day of the marathon bombings, bystanders who could have protected themselves rushed to help the injured. Doctors, nurses, and their assistants worked overtime to make sure that those affected received the care they deserved, while law enforcement officials sought justice on the city’s behalf. Bostonians came out to offer marathoners juice and a bathroom, even as officials told them to stay indoors. A nearby restaurant called El Pelon Taqueria gave out free food, drinks, cell phone charger outlets, and the 9-year old daughter of the owner, Addison Hoben, decorated to-go bags with the words, “It’s going to be alright” and “We’re not afraid.”

Those are some of our nation’s reservists, though not all of them by far. Many of us shine light into the dark in quieter ways: by volunteering at a soup kitchen or a prison, by donating blood, by sitting in the waiting room during a friend’s surgery, by caring for an aging parent. Not for naught did the famous Mr. Rogers — who was also a Presbyterian minister — say the words that have been so often quoted in social media since the bombings: “When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.’ ”

What I will tell my congregation Sunday is that I believe in the power of darkness, and I believe that humans can do horrible things. But I also believe that light will eventually outshine the dark, that the reservists among us are fighting a war to defeat violence and evil, and that one day they will permanently win it. That is what makes me a Christian, and it is also what makes me an American, the descendant of the patriots who gave their life on the Lexington battle green so many years ago.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Massachusetts • Terrorism • Violence

1. sly

Also do not forget that America inflicts these same 'tragedies' daily on the rest of the world.

We certainly average more than '3' murders a day. What was that last scientist study that said our drones kill over 5000 innocent civilans per year? Hmmm ....goes around, comes around.

However, this bombing has all the characteristics of a home-grown right wing Tea Party anti-government bombing. Arabs are much too smart to invest a million bucks on a backpack home-made bomb with ball bearings.

Think Tim McVeigh, or Ricky Rubio, or some Texas judge who wants to secede because a white-black man is President.

April 17, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
    • bostontola

Are you incapable of distinguishing between targeting warriors and having unintended civilian casualties from targeting civilians?

April 17, 2013 at 12:35 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@bostonola,

the trouble with drone strikes is that it isn't just "warriors" who get killed by them.

April 17, 2013 at 12:38 pm |
    • lol??

Clinton played the first black prez. So that make the Big O the first Indonesian white prez. Race means zip in the Lord's kingdom.

April 17, 2013 at 2:03 pm |
  2. I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Rev. Tumminio,

given that this awful event occured on Patriot's day I am not surprised that you tried to connect the two events.

... the descendant of the patriots who gave their life on the Lexington battle green so many years ago"

One person's 'patriot' is another persons 'terrorist'. Let me be clear. I am not condoning the henious act in Boston on Monday but your analogy is grotesquely flawed – particularly as a minister.

Sometimes it is a matter of perspective. The 'heroes' who hid behind stone walls and shot at the backs of the British regulars returning to Boston after searching for a weapons cache in Concord might have been considered as something quite different by the mothers of those soldiers back in England.

April 17, 2013 at 12:04 pm |
    • lol??

Gopher has spoken like a TRUE matriot. Well, give him a little wiggle room.

April 17, 2013 at 12:28 pm |
  3. Vic

Let's not forget that this article is about a SERIOUS TRAGEDY where innocent lives were taken unjustly, and we need all agree that is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE, regardless of our walks of life!

I have been following some comments from time to time, since I can not attend to this all the time, and I detect constant ridicule about the existence of God!

Regardless of ALL scriptures, belief systems out there, and whats & whys, my ALWAYS EVIDENCE that THERE IS A GOD is:

!!!This Universe and Life in it have “Prima Facie” EVIDENCE about God!!!

April 17, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

"The universe has "prima facie" evidence that it is a computer simulation."

Just as valid.

April 17, 2013 at 12:26 pm |
    • Ted

Right, Vic, you just can't present any of that evidence, for your particular god, and all the evidence points away from the Christian god that is currently popular in the US. No problem; we're used to your vacuous posts. Have a nice deluded day.

April 17, 2013 at 12:30 pm |
    • Ted

Cheese, your statement has more validity than Vic's; the evidence does not so specifically contradict your comparable, and it does not self-contradict the way the bible does. (as I'm sure you know)

Cheers.

April 17, 2013 at 12:32 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Exactly Ted,

Vic is using a common terrible fallacy...... "Everything is designed and that is obvious"

The huge problem with that type of arguement is that in order for us to determine the difference between 'design' and 'non-design' we have to compare the two. In Vic's arguement everything is designed so there is nothing to compare and no way to validate his claim.....so it remains nothing more than that...

April 17, 2013 at 12:55 pm |
    • Looking outside I have “Prima Facie” EVIDENCE that the earth is flat

April 17, 2013 at 1:17 pm |
    • Pretzels will save your everlasting soul

Actually, prima facie falls apart when effectively rebutted, which your non-evidence has been.

April 17, 2013 at 2:07 pm |
  4. William Crosster

This tragedy, like others, always draws people to churches and looks for answers. It's a shame that the author of this article is unsure about how they're going to deal with this and explain it to their congregation. It clearly says in the bible that this world is evil and that satan goes back and forth in this world like a roaring lion, seeking who he can devour. Not to minimize this tragedy, but the US kills many people each day in other countries, so why should this violent nation, who is doing everything that it can to shake its' fist at God expect that God is going to bless them. I pray for the victims and their families and I hope that this nation will realize that as long as it's turning its' back on God, then God will judge this nation as it has judged many nations in the past.

April 17, 2013 at 12:02 pm |
    • Madtown

says in the bible that this world is evil
      -----
      Christianity is not a universal truth for the entire world. There are many humans(your equals) on earth right now who have never heard of the bible. God created them the same as he created you, the only difference is the culture they inhabit, and that culture's choice of opinion when it comes to notions of spirituality.

April 17, 2013 at 12:22 pm |
    • PR

"but the US kills many people each day in other countries"

So William, tell us who did the US kill today and in what countries? How about yesterday or Monday? What innocent people did we go after sneakely and in the dark like cowards? You said not to minimilize it just before this comment but that's exactly what you do by trying to give an excuse to those who did this. What if it turns out to be domestic terrorism, are they still justified in your mind because the US kills people every day in other countries?

April 17, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@PR,

there are plenty of collateral casualties in the drone war in Pakistan. These occur regularly and are the "innocent people we go after sneakely [sic] and in the dark like cowards".

We could just as easily talk about Vietnamese women and children too.

April 17, 2013 at 12:30 pm |
    • Funny, you’re god seems to pretty happy with Sweden

And they are much less theistic than the US

April 17, 2013 at 1:22 pm |
  5. bostontola

The people killed were so young, their whole lives were ahead of them, taken senselessly, my deepest condolences to their family and friends.

It was heartening to see the brave responders charge into the bomb zone to help immediately, saving lives.

I bet they weren't wondering, "is this a Christian or an atheist?".

April 17, 2013 at 11:57 am |
    • Throb Johnson

Yep, human compassion is not a result of religion, even though religion claims it.

April 17, 2013 at 11:59 am |
    • meifumado

You do not need religion to help your fellow man.

April 17, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
  6. ug

It will conquer all darkness put on this country by the libs and fruit cakes...

April 17, 2013 at 11:54 am |
    • Throb Johnson

Religion hasn't lifted any darkness in 2,000 years, so why should it start now?

April 17, 2013 at 11:58 am |
    • Darkness

There was a time when religion ruled the world. It is known as The Dark Ages.-Ruth Hurmence Green

April 17, 2013 at 1:49 pm |
  7. tv22

I have to laugh at people who criticize Christians who evangelize. Apparently if these critics had what they thought was the key to eternal salvation, they would keep it to themselves.

April 17, 2013 at 11:46 am |
    • Dash Riprock

Apparently evangelical Christians are so dim that they cannot conceive of how foolish ridiculous their myth is to those who don't believe.

April 17, 2013 at 11:51 am |
    • Madtown

Someone who evangelizes is just giving their opinion.

April 17, 2013 at 11:52 am |
    • sam stone

I laugh at Christians who evangelize

April 17, 2013 at 11:55 am |
    • God

If you actually believed in me, you wouldn't behave the way you do. There are plenty of parts of the Bible where I told people not to do what you just did, and here you are doing it.

Do you really think I want followers who think they get to ignore everything I say as long as they pretend to believe in me?

April 17, 2013 at 11:56 am |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

I laugh at people who "polish a turd" and call it salvation.

April 17, 2013 at 11:57 am |
    • fintastic

We don't need your stinkin salvation

April 17, 2013 at 2:44 pm |
  8. Jeff

Lol its hilarious looking at all the self-proclaimed atheists trolling this forum hating a god they claim does not exist.

seriously, why are you pr!cks here? nothing better to do? then talk about something you dont believe in? you are not atheists, just a bunch of angry bitter people who can't figure out why their lives suck and not working out.

Hey, you don't want to believe in God? Sure. Guess what? God doesn't want you to believe in Him either. That was the reason you were thrown out of Eden, His presence to begin with. He doesn't want stupid believers. You don't want heaven? Sure, more for me. But why would you care? You don't even believe in heaven, right? LOL.

Go live in the hell you made for yourself. Don't complain just because things aren't working out. ROFL.

April 17, 2013 at 11:23 am |
    • meifumado

Hi Jeff,
      I hope your having a nice day, it's sunny in NYC, it's a shame stuck in the office.

I'm an atheist and i'm not bitter or doing poorly. I don't come here to hate I come here to perhaps learn a little or better understand why people believe in these myths still or maybe help educate some.

Also It's fun!

April 17, 2013 at 11:32 am |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Jeff,

We will shut up about "spiritual beliefs" when the rest of you do the same. Deal?

It's everywhere. Religion is a pounding drum that has gone mostly unanswered for a long, long time. And religion is not satisfied with merely existing quietly in the homes and hearts of the faithful. Its very nature compels the believer to proselytize, preach, promote, convince, convert and prevail. If you play on the team of the religious, your game plan is to stay, always, on offense.
      Throughout our history, those who raise a simple hand of protest against these advances have been portrayed as the real problem. Religion has attempted to marginalize and defeat legitimate questions and concerns by indignantly portraying any resistors as misguided, immoral, rudderless, angry, miserable, lost and alone.
      And when skepticism challenges wildly improbable (or impossible) stories found in the bible, the Qur'an and other holy books, the religious wail, "Why can't you just leave us alone?"
      The irony is thick.

April 17, 2013 at 11:34 am |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Move along ... nothing to see here ... just another good 'Christian soldier' demonstrating Christ's teachings of love one another as yourself.

April 17, 2013 at 11:39 am |
    • Honey Badger Don't Care!

Jefftard,
      I wasn’t thrown out of Eden by the way. There never even was one, unless you mean in Ethiopia where we most likely evolved from.
      BTW, based on the teaching of your own religion your own god says that he wants everyone to be with him in heaven so your own statements are dogmatically incorrect.
      I don’t hate a god that doesn’t exist. That would be as ridiculous as believing in one.
      I come here to see how ridiculous you religious types get when you are all hyped up on the holy spirit. LOL

April 17, 2013 at 11:40 am |
    • Mirror Mirror

Jeff angrily, spitefully, and resentfully speaks out against anger.

April 17, 2013 at 11:44 am |
    • Madtown

He doesn't want stupid believers.
      -----
      The irony in you posting this is almost too funny!

April 17, 2013 at 11:47 am |
    • Larry

Jesus sure has some foul-tempered bitter people as followers.

And why are they all so freaking illiterate?

April 17, 2013 at 11:54 am |

gopher sayz,
      "............. just another good 'Christian soldier' demonstrating Christ's teachings of love one another.........."

Just admit it gopher, the group that follows the "wegod" enjoys group S*E*X*. Socies will never give it up. That's excitin' luv..

April 17, 2013 at 11:54 am |
    • sam stone

jeff: people cannot critiicize beings in which they do not believe. however, they can ridicule people's view.

April 17, 2013 at 11:58 am |
    • Akira

Since lol?? continues to use socialism incorrectly, I thought I would try and educate lol??.
      Again. Olease read s l o w l y, lol??.
      Socialism

noun
      1. a theory or system of social organization that advocates the vesting of the ownership and control of the means of production and distribution, of capital, land, etc., in the community as a whole.
      2. procedure or practice in accordance with this theory.

The United States isn't a socialist country, no matter how much Alex Jones and Fox News tries to imply it is.
      Of course, everyone knows that our social programs have been in place for decades, but it is unlikely that this poster will ever get that memo.

April 17, 2013 at 12:05 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@lollypop,

I'm so glad you noticed. And what is a "wegod" exactly again?

April 17, 2013 at 12:06 pm |
    • sam

Jeff, if there is an afterlife, my best hope for it is that I don't have to spend it in the company of assholes like you.

April 17, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
    • lol??

akira, science is fickle by its very nature. Socie scientists are in the same boat. Your definition is NOT written in stone. So I don't know what your pwoblem is.

Name 10 things the gubmint doesn't control to back up your assertions.

April 17, 2013 at 12:18 pm |
    • oOo

By lol??'s continued mention of science (not mentioned by his addressee) and his botched attempt to define nearly everyone as a "socie", it's quite obvious this idiot has a severe mental hang-up. And it think's the Elmer Fudd talk is helping it's deluded case? LOL.

April 17, 2013 at 12:30 pm |
    • lol??

oOo, another group thinker exercising his control instink.

April 17, 2013 at 12:38 pm |
    • oOo

"group thinker"

You are correct! I do not live in a cave.

April 17, 2013 at 12:44 pm |
    • I don’t care about you;re god

I don’t believe you’re god exists. I am no more bothered by it then I am by bigfoot or leprechauns.
      On the other hand I believe that Christians do exist. I believe most of them would stab their best friend in the back if they believe “god told them to”. I believe most of the ones on this board selectively ignore science, logic, reason and lie through their teeth in order to justify their religion. I’m here, doing my part to point out their errors and omissions

April 17, 2013 at 12:57 pm |
    • *

your = belonging to you

you're = you are

April 17, 2013 at 1:04 pm |
  9. catholic engineer

For what its worth, there's a quote: "We are either a darkness in the midst of a Great Light, or a light in the midst of a great darkness."
    We could add, "We're a light in the midst of a Greater Light" or " a darkness in the midst of a great darkness."

April 17, 2013 at 10:59 am |
    • Gene

We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes.

April 17, 2013 at 11:01 am |

Gene sayz,
      "We must..............."
      Lay down yer "wegod" first and you might actually pwogwess.

April 17, 2013 at 11:11 am |
    • catholic engineer

The story logic is closer to this: an all knowing, all loving, all powerful, Divine Being brought humans into existence. They were similar to Him/Herself in image and likeness. Then, these humans made themselves powerless and hateful. They were acting according to the freedom of thought and action with which they were created.

April 17, 2013 at 11:15 am |
    • François

I have never made but one prayer to god, a very short one: 'lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' and god granted it.

April 17, 2013 at 11:16 am |
    • lol??

2nd thing genie, stop talking like a split tongue serpent. Bet you can't do it.

April 17, 2013 at 11:19 am |
    • sam

Hey lol??, right after you stop posting like a four year old with a bad lisp and zero logic skills. Idiot.

April 17, 2013 at 11:22 am |
    • catholic engineer

@ francois Not sure I get your meaning. But I've noticed that sometimes we are our own enemy. THis applies to me as well.

April 17, 2013 at 11:23 am |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

CE,

And in that story god is punishing the "sins of the father" on the rest of humanity. It is equally rediculous, immoral, contradictory and faulty. Same BS I was taught in Catholic school and is the reason I, and many others, reject christianity not ony as being true, but as a moral story. There is no way you can spin that story to make sense. I know, I tried.

April 17, 2013 at 11:25 am |
    • Dash Riprock

It just might be that we are people, not lights.

April 17, 2013 at 11:46 am |
  10. Jesus Without Baggage

Violence is terrible, but we cannot escape it; it will always be with us. We cannot escape it, but we must oppose it continually. We can attempt to reduce our own personal contribution to violence by refusing to become violent ourselves, and this includes non-physical violence such as hate-speech. In addition, we must do our best as a society to contain violence. However, violence will always remain.

April 17, 2013 at 8:17 am |
    • Ken

Sounds like an argument for gun control. Bomb-making isn't legal precisely because people with murderous intent can use these devises to kill many more people than with less efficient weapons, yes? Can anyone argue that the mass shootings using assault weapons haven't created a sense of "terror" similar to the various bombings? Right now, there is probably a separate level of fear in Americans between just being murdered and being a victim of a mass shooting, or terror attack. I doubt that many people imagine someone going on a murderous rampage with just their deer rifle and the revolver they keep in their bedside drawer.

April 17, 2013 at 8:42 am |
    • meifumado

We are animals, it is in our nature to be violent.

April 17, 2013 at 10:01 am |
    • { ! }

Apparently, when blind, dumb nature produced humans, it produced a freak. The idea of evolution is survival. Humans have developed powerful brains which they use to threaten their own survival, to desire meaning where there is none, to speak of destiny when we can't define an ultimate good. At least, this is the way one side of the religion debate sees things.

April 17, 2013 at 11:04 am |
    • Akira

Jesus without baggage is using "wegod" terminology. Where is the fire-breathing lol?? to point this out?

April 17, 2013 at 12:13 pm |
    • lol??

Perchance he's not well read?

April 17, 2013 at 12:44 pm |
  11. mabillings

Religion. Evil. Good.

Someone needs to explain to me why an 8-year boy is "allowed" to die. Why a 29 year-old woman in the prime of her life is "allowed" too die.

So, please explain. One caveat, you can't tell me that an omnipotent, all powerful, all knowing compassionate being "has a plan".

April 17, 2013 at 8:05 am |
    • huguenot

Because there's evil in the world. And beyond that, I won't get into a theological discussion.

April 17, 2013 at 9:07 am |
    • Austin

We have what we need. Salvation and spiritual healing. This physical life is God's. God has turned his back on the unbelieving world in its sin, but through Christ, we have reconciliation. The world is still fallen. Why? Because God is patiently allowing a spiritual kingdom to form and be revealed. The bombs and suffering are a literal manifestation of demonic evil.

Sin, when it is full blown, leads to death. Alcohol, Drugs, these oppressions torture WAY more people every day than will ever stand next to a bomb. Abuse, murder, abortion, ...........these are all evil unrestrained. Sin leads to death. The form of death is an aggression that your soul should cope with by getting involved in God's role for man, to be a light in a dark place.

April 17, 2013 at 9:28 am |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

"Abuse, murder, abortion, ...........these are all evil unrestrained. "

Perfect description of what your god does.

Abuse- Proverbs, 13:24 "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes."
      Murder-Nothing quite like the story of Noahs Ark to prove this
      Abortion-How many pregnancies end in miscarriage? (sad sad argument even for you Austin...not that it is any of your business how a woman deals with her personal body and an argument long settled via Roe vs Wade-stay out of other peoples business if it doesn't directly affect you)

You say your god has turned against this world due to the evil within it...so then your god is not so caring after all or it simply does not exist (the more likely explanation).

April 17, 2013 at 9:43 am |
    • Mary

"Abuse, murder, abortion, ... these are all evil unrestrained. "
      How about bigotry, and self-righteous judgmental behavior like your's? Jesus did call Pharisees like yourself "vipers", didn't he?

April 17, 2013 at 9:52 am |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

"This physical life is God's. God has turned his back on the unbelieving world in its sin, but through Christ, we have reconciliation."

God and Jesus are not on the same page. God can stick it up his ass, Jesus can help.

April 17, 2013 at 11:00 am |
    • censored in the usa

The answer is simply no one is "innocent". I know this is not an answer anyone wants to hear. However we have ALL played a part in some heinous acts before we were human or perhaps in another life. There is no boogie man Satan, we are the Devil. I think considering this God has been more kind & long suffering toward us than we deserve. The penalty for all is death. The earth is a prison of sorts, but that being said the prison could have been a lot worse. We will all move into the light eventually, I'm sure someone as wise as God does not accept failure as an option.

April 17, 2013 at 11:56 am |
    • Akira

April 17, 2013 at 12:21 pm |
    • mabillings

"I guess that the 8 year old is God's collateral damge, for I cannot imagine how many abortions he might have had, bottles of Patron he might have drank, or drugs he slammed to warrant this fate."

ALL the NUTJOBS are on this board today! LOL, sheeple...

April 17, 2013 at 2:31 pm |
  12. Bob1god

It's still dark here in Flori-DUH, but soon it will be light, it keeps doing this on & on, day after day!

April 17, 2013 at 6:11 am |
    • brad7watson4miami

Florida is full of light! I live in Miami: the "New Jerusalem" and birthplace/home of Christ 2 (E=mc2).

See http://7seals.blogspot.com

April 17, 2013 at 7:52 am |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

brad7watson4miami: Pointing to a blog that uses buybull quotes is not evidence for your imaginary friend. Give us some actual scientific data that is not pseudo science and doesn't refer to the giant book of fallacies (aka buybull).

April 17, 2013 at 8:58 am |
  13. Jeff

"Light will conquer darkness in Boston"

It is because Boston is in darkness, all of America is IN darkness... that this happened.

Light? When America opens its eyes.

April 17, 2013 at 3:30 am |
    • midwest rail

What an arrogant dolt.

April 17, 2013 at 4:59 am |
    • Science

To Jeff .............the light will be the thruth !

Origin of Life: Power Behind Primordial Soup Discovered

Where do morals come from?

By Kelly Murray, CNN

Learning is fun with facts.......................... and facts work when teaching children.

Atheist Prof. Peter Higgs: Stop calling Higgs boson the ‘God particle’

Professor Peter Higgs said recently that there is no God and so people should stop referring to the theoretical partial that
      bears his name as the “God particle.”

More truth if needed !

April 17, 2013 at 5:05 am |
    • Huebert

@Jeff

If a bombing like this is the will of your god, you worship a monster.

April 17, 2013 at 5:06 am |
    • Science

Oops truth

April 17, 2013 at 5:09 am |
    • Science

Maybe jeff is denial or he can't read ?

April 17, 2013 at 5:13 am |
    • brad7watson4miami

Science and Huebert,

We now have scientific proof of GOD. Are you open-minded to the scientific method being used to prove reincarnation, creation of Earth and other Earth-like planets through a simple mathematical model of GOD=7_4 or FOD=6_4, etc.?

See http://7seals.blogspot.com

April 17, 2013 at 7:59 am |
    • Science

An illusion it is......................Poof goes the dragon .

Engineering 'Ghost' Objects: Breakthrough in Scattering Illusion

Feb. 19, 2013 — A team at the NUS Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering led by Dr Qiu Cheng-Wei has come out with an optical device to "engineer" ghosts.

April 17, 2013 at 8:11 am |
    • sam stone

jeff: your god is a vindictive, petty pr1ck, and you are a snivelling sycophant. thanks for playing

April 17, 2013 at 8:16 am |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

brad7watson4miami: That is not evidence for your imaginary friend/heaven/hell/anything that the buybull promotes. That is nothing more than an opinion that is very circular given that it uses quotes from the buybull to prove your imaginary friend. There is nothing scientific about it! You'd think if your imaginary friend had been proven to exist, the world would know and a Nobel Prize would have been awarded to the person proving it....until that prize is awarded and evidence outside of the buybull is presented, there is no justification for accepting it.

April 17, 2013 at 8:50 am |
    • meifumado

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."

April 17, 2013 at 10:04 am |
    • Jeff

@ midwest rail
      Who is more arrogant? The arrogant one? Or the one accusing others of arrogant? For is not one who accuses making himself the judge of the one being accused? He who judges proclaims one superior to the one being judged. So hence, you inadvertently appointed yourself the most arrogant of dolts.

@Science
      You are too stupid to know how science and religion work together. They're not exclusive. Like most trailer trash, you should probably go back and get your GED.

@Huebert
      No, the will of God as written in the Scripture is simple
      1) Greatest Commandment – love your God with all your heart. God is love.
      2) 2nd Greatest Commandment – love each other as you would love yourself.

It is the fact that people chose NOT to worship God, and chose their own way... they become the monster. God didn't kill those people... people killed those people.

But in some way you are correct.

Since there are no such thing as true atheism, the concept of a god is a being that is greater than yourself. Therefore it is impossible for the lesser to prove or fully understand the greater. Hence for one to declare there is no god is one to declare "there is none greater than myself." Since there are none greater than "myself" then this makes "myself" the "greatest." Hence this person essentially believes he is god.

So yes, godless people worship a monster god, that is themselves.

April 17, 2013 at 11:09 am |
    • Jeff

@ sam stone
      more vindictive than the atheist who feels the need to troll a religion forum and spill his intolerance towards other beliefs?
      looks like you are the pr!ck huh? thanks for playing.

@ Truth Prevails
      you are correct, God by definition cannot be proven. but that is not the basis of scientific analysis, isn't it? a theory isn't true if you can prove it, on the contrary... it is possible until you can disprove it. this is actually high school level science.

the earth was first believed to be flat. it didn't "become" round when they proven it was round, it had been round all along.

April 17, 2013 at 11:17 am |
    • sam stone

Jeff: It's a "Belief" forum, not a "Religion" forum. And, I believe your god is a vindictive pr1ck. He allowed an 8 year old to to be killed by a bomb and his sister's leg be blown off because of this nation "sinning"? How is that not a pr1ck?

April 17, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
    • Science

And you twist like chad................ jeff !

Peace

April 17, 2013 at 3:44 pm |
    • .

"Maybe jeff is denial or he can't read ?"

Jeff aka Chad has proven on other posts he has poor reading comprehension.

April 17, 2013 at 3:48 pm |
  14. Alex

Violence against innocent civilians. Are we talking home-made bombs in a Boston Marathon, drone strikes wiping out entire families in Northern Waziristan, collateral damage from air strikes in Iraq, nuclear bombs over Hiroshima? Which one specifically should we examine? Human nature is what it is. Killing people tends to cause their kin to hate you and desire revenge upon you. I say it is wiser stir up benevolence to benefit us rather than inspire hateful creativity to destroy us.

April 17, 2013 at 12:43 am |
    • brad7watson4miami

"Thou shall not kill" – GOD

April 17, 2013 at 8:00 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

"Thou shalt not kill, unless I tell you to. (ps: heathens, heretics and apostates don't count)".
      – God

April 17, 2013 at 8:20 am |
    • Ken

Why focus on just the collateral damage that has occurred during Obama's administration? There have been examples from other wars. Was the bombing of Dresden in World War II, for example, just collateral damage, or an intentional strike against civilians?

April 17, 2013 at 8:31 am |
  15. Dash Riprock

I appreciate this chickypoo's featherweight cotton-candy fluffle perspective, but she should have worked Harry Potter into it a bit more.

April 16, 2013 at 11:49 pm |
  16. Glinda: FELLOW OZIANS...

LET US BE GLAD
    LET US BE GRATEFUL
    LET US REJOICIFY THAT GOODNESS COULD SUBDUE
    THE WICKED WORKINGS OF YOU-KNOW-WHO
    ISN'T IT NICE TO KNOW
    THAT GOOD WILL CONQUER EVIL?
    THE TRUTH WE ALL BELIEVE'LL
    BY AND BY OUTLIVE A LIE FOR YOU AND–

April 16, 2013 at 11:11 pm |
    • Answer

Just shut the hell up.

April 16, 2013 at 11:15 pm |
    • Ken Margo

LOL

April 16, 2013 at 11:22 pm |
  17. Anon

Where was your omniscient, omnipotent desert god Yahweh/Jesus/Jehovah/etc to prevent the attack in the place?
    You know the one that killed an 8 year old boy and also injured others so horribly that basically crippled them for life.

April 16, 2013 at 11:02 pm |
    • squints

Harris is carrying the torch. Hitchens would have approved and drank a scotch to it. Bravo!!!

April 16, 2013 at 11:37 pm |
    • Onward Atheists

Sam Harris is saying what must be said by all of us whenever possible without concern for our own reputations and in front of our children.

April 17, 2013 at 12:32 am |
    • lol??

Anon, your own personal bullyin' ways don't work with God. It doesn't matter how big a mob you can stir up, either.

April 17, 2013 at 1:15 am |
    • Austin

Heard from eND religion lately.

April 17, 2013 at 1:22 am |
    • Austin

.?????

April 17, 2013 at 1:24 am |

Haven't seen him.

April 17, 2013 at 1:26 am |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

lol: What bullying? Asking an honest question is not bullying nor is posting the video. The point is that if your imaginary friend had any control (existed), why did it not prevent an innocent child from dying? Why did it not prevent those bombs from being placed? Why did it allow for a mother to be brain damaged? Or numerous others to be horribly disfigured? Could it be that your god simply doesn't exist or perhaps doesn't care?

April 17, 2013 at 4:53 am |
    • fintastic

"Could it be that your god simply doesn't exist.....?"

Yup, that pretty much sums it up...

April 17, 2013 at 7:43 am |
    • Anon

Once you're indoctrinated anything is excused with this primitive desert god.
      That's why theists such as lol?? and others are delusional lemmings.

April 17, 2013 at 9:05 am |
    • lol??

You just agreed with me, anon, about your phony "questions". You have already determined your path to your final destination. I don't agree with you.

April 17, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
  18. fernace

Ok, CNN, I guess I like pizza since you wont post a comment on the subject!!

April 16, 2013 at 10:17 pm |
  19. Light shines through the scriptural promises...

Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble

April 16, 2013 at 10:15 pm |
    • שמיחזה

witch god and define our, because your god is not mine.

April 16, 2013 at 10:17 pm |
    • Sean

'What I will tell my congregation Sunday is that I believe in the power of darkness, and I believe that humans can do horrible things. But I also believe that light will eventually outshine the dark, that the reservists among us are fighting a war to defeat violence and evil, and that one day they will permanently win it. That is what makes me a Christian, and it is also what makes me an American, the descendant of the patriots who gave their life on the Lexington battle green so many years ago.'

Light will eventually shine through the darkness, light shone through many kind hearted first responders yesterday and continues to do so.

April 16, 2013 at 10:18 pm |
    • Healing hand of God

April 16, 2013 at 10:25 pm |
    • Jesus freaker

Yes it's a good thing God was there to help or someone may have gotten hurt.

April 16, 2013 at 10:45 pm |
    • Samuel

Man is a marvelous curiosity ... he thinks he is the Creator's pet ... he even believes the Creator loves him; has a passion for him; sits up nights to admire him; yes and watch over him and keep him out of trouble. He prays to him and thinks He listens. Isn't it a quaint idea.

April 16, 2013 at 10:45 pm |
    • Zingo

Creator's pet. That's a good one, and so accurate!

I will be plagiarizing that phrase heavily from now on.

April 16, 2013 at 11:46 pm |
    • Samuel Clemens

I will put my last name so you can give me full credit.

April 17, 2013 at 12:05 am |
    • Zingo

Darn! I should have recognized a Twain quote! He had a wonderful way with words. I still giggle at his "chloroform in print" line about the Book of Mormon.

Where are the Mark Twains and Hunter Thompsons now that we need them?

April 17, 2013 at 12:14 am |
    • lol??

Having a mint julep watching you paint his fence and the gubmint's fences, too.

April 17, 2013 at 1:30 am |
    • Jeff

When you spread out your hands in prayer, I will hide my eyes from you; even if you offer many prayers, I will not listen. Your hands are full of blood; wash and make yourselves clean. Take your evil deeds out of my sight! Stop doing wrong, learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. "Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD.
      Isaiah 1:15-18

April 17, 2013 at 3:31 am |
    • sam stone

Light Shines and Jeff: Biblical quotes are only relevant to those who accept the supposed authority of the bible. So, parroting "scripture" is a poor argument technique. Does doing so make you feel all godly?

April 17, 2013 at 8:33 am |
    • fintastic

"Stop doing wrong, learn to do right!"

Yea, we never would have figured that out on our own....

April 17, 2013 at 9:06 am |
    • lol??

scientific fintailie, you don't have the power to do it.

April 17, 2013 at 11:02 am |
    • meifumado

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

April 17, 2013 at 12:01 pm |
  20. Bostontola

I would have thought an event like this would elicit a common response, that violence against only civilians, not in a war zone, with no military strategic value, is monstrous.

April 16, 2013 at 9:56 pm |
    • Akira

I agree totally.

April 16, 2013 at 10:12 pm |
    • שמיחזה

i agree,.. shame that Obama declared America a war zone and ts citizens enemies.

April 16, 2013 at 10:16 pm |
    • Ken Margo

more BS

April 16, 2013 at 10:22 pm |
    • שמיחזה

April 16, 2013 at 10:34 pm |
    • Bostontola

שמיחזה,
      Obama is beside the point. People who believe in god, and those that don't could agree that this kind of act directed at only civilians is reprehensible. Why bring in politics?

April 16, 2013 at 10:41 pm |

Ended the war in Iraq
      Ending the war in Afghanistan
      Doubled the Dow during his presidency
      Repealed don't ask, don't tell
      Signed the lilly ledbetter act to help women get equal pay
      Passed health care reform so the uninsured can see a doctor w/o going bankrupt
      Toppled Kadafi in Libya (A man bush forgave)
      Over 35 months of job growth

I could go on but I have to work.

The fact is you're a coward. You spread these lies to rile up the brain dead. Then these "people" go out and commit violence based on the BS you're feeding them. You mentioned you have money, Obviously the prez polices haven't stopped you.
      So tell us your secret. How did you make money while this "tyrant" was doing all he could to stop you.

April 16, 2013 at 10:58 pm |
    • Jeff

@ ken margo

"He saved the auto industry
      Saved the banking industry"

In the process, widen the wealth gap, killing the middle class, raising the poverty.

"Ended the war in Iraq
      Ending the war in Afghanistan"

Irrelevant. Those were ending and already had time tables.

"Doubled the Dow during his presidency"

Irrelevant, those are based on false interest rates, economy is still wrecked. Jobless rates high, and inflation on the loom. Most disturbing of course, is that Dow rise based on false interest rates will collapse, 2nd bubble bust. Any economist will tell you the same.

Even so, for the sake of argument, let's say it is true. Still irrelevant, since the Dow only reflects the 1%, so this only supports the claim of the widening of the wealth margin, disappearance of the middle class, and the rise of poverty.

"Repealed don't ask, don't tell"

That's not an accomplishment, this was a mistake and we're paying for it now. Watch it grow.

"Signed the lilly ledbetter act to help women get equal pay"

I'm not caught up on this, but irrelevant. Women in high level work already get equal pay, has been for quite some time. So if it reflects the low level pay, irrelevant... as mentioned before, no jobs.

"Passed health care reform so the uninsured can see a doctor w/o going bankrupt"

LOL you are actually bringing up the failed Obamacare? This pretty much crushed your credibility.

"Toppled Kadafi in Libya (A man bush forgave)"

WOW really? You are giving the credit, earned by blood and sweat of the Libya resistence, to Obama? Disgraceful.

"Over 35 months of job growth"

Complete lie. Simple search on the graph of jobless rate in America since 2008 will tell you about the rise and fall of the job rates in America. Even in the recovered growth recently, they only recovered what Obama lost in the 2008-2012 term. Nation today is still considered in recession.

"The fact is you're a coward. You spread these lies to rile up the brain dead. "

That's actually what YOU are doing. You go on and on about things that were either misrepresented or completely lies.

"How did you make money while this "tyrant" was doing all he could to stop you."

I did, but that's because I'm in the 1%. Obama is actually helping the 1%, while the 99% rot away.

Rich gets richer.

April 17, 2013 at 3:42 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

It doesn't matter whether the White House is occupied by John Jackson or Jack Johnson – policies that matter don't change.
      America's national religion isn't Christianity, it is Capitalism. Unrestrained, conscienceless, borderless Capitalism.
      The global Pax Americana serves neither the globe nor the American people – its purpose is to perpetuate wealth generation for a select few.
      For generations, people have gleefully been trading their privacy for the illusion of security.
      By and large, North Americans remain insular. The tools of statecraft at home are distraction and anesthetization while abroad the Politics of Empire demand exploitation via coersion, subterfuge, economic subjugation via corporatist organization like the World Bank and IMF, or plain old, flat out violence.
      After having a president in the 80's who was going senile and apparantly napped through the latter half of his administration and another 2 termer who was incapable of stringing together a coherent sentence, it should be apparant the the office of POTUS is largely irrelevant to the meaningful politics of the United States.

April 17, 2013 at 8:36 am |
    • sam stone

doc: america's capitalism is not unrestrained

April 17, 2013 at 10:23 am |
    • Sam Yaza

Ended the war in Iraq
      Ending the war in Afghanistan

so why are we still paying mercs to be over there

He saved the auto industry
      Saved the banking industry

not exactly the right choice, if the large companies were to fall because of the mistakes they mad others would have rose up in there place and the recession would have taken half a long. but that all speculation, the bail outs wee en epic failure.

Doubled the Dow during his presidency

it had no were else to go but up, it would not matter who was president

Repealed don't ask, don't tell

i actually approve, good work Obama

Signed the lilly ledbetter act to help women get equal pay

still no equal pay

Passed health care reform so the uninsured can see a doctor w/o going bankrupt

totally false, i know some one who got in a car wreck and is now living in my den.
      Toppled Kadafi in Libya (A man bush forgave)

wrong the rebels toppled him, don't diminish the peoples movement.

Over 35 months of job growth

once again no were else to go but up.

not going to justify your assumptions.

You mentioned you have money, Obviously the prez polices haven't stopped you.

he has done nothing but help people like me, I'm richer then i would have ever been because of him. but hes lucky I'm a nice 1% provide good employment with health benefits and still pay my 36%. even though i could just as easily pay less then 12%.

April 17, 2013 at 2:00 pm |
    • Ken Margo

@Jeff and Sam..................You guys are obviously graduates of the Rush Limbaugh/republican party school of twisting things the way you want to see them.

You don't like the fact he saved the auto industry. It's easy to say that because you would not be the one losing your job.

If The prez didn't save the banking industry, the country goes into a depression. why is a depression an option.

You make light of the dow going up. Why didn't it go up during the bush presidency? He couldn't make it go up.

You male light of 35 months of job growth. Again bush couldn't do it.

The rebel were able to topple khadafi AFTER the US got the ball rolling.

As far as your bum buddy living in your den. The mandate hasn't taken full effect yet.

The lily ledbetter act will let women SUE for equal pay for equal work. Your boys the republicans are against it..

April 17, 2013 at 4:31 pm |