home
RSS
April 16th, 2013

My Take: Light will conquer darkness in Boston

Editor's note: Danielle Elizabeth Tumminio is an ordained Episcopal Church priest and author of "God and Harry Potter at Yale: Teaching Faith and Fantasy Fiction in an Ivy League Classroom."

By Danielle Elizabeth Tumminio, Special to CNN

Boston (CNN) — At 4 a.m. on Patriot’s Day, I huddled in the cold and dark on the Lexington town green that’s across from the church where I work as a priest, awaiting the reenactment of the first battle of the American Revolution.

As the sun rose, a small group of haggard colonists assembled. None were in military uniform; they seemed to have difficulty forming a straight line. And when the British marched towards them with their elegant uniforms and disciplined formation, they outnumbered the colonists more than 2-1.

It looked to be a slaughter.

As the “shot heard 'round the world” fired, the colonists scrambled, some dying in the skirmish and others retreating, running away to safety.

To the casual observer like myself, it looked like defeat — defeat of their hopes for freedom, liberty and democracy; defeat of goodness and light. But that defeat turned out to be the call that brought out reservists from all over the Boston area. Ordinary colonists left their homes to hide behind trees with their weapons, haunting the British as they marched back to Boston. The efforts of those ordinary men and women eventually led to victory for our country and the ideals it sought — and continues to seek—to embody.

Less than 12 hours after I attended the reenactment, I heard a different “shot heard 'round the world,” this time a few miles from my home where I was working. The Boston Marathon bombing shook me, as it shook many of my fellow Bostonians. It was a reminder that our world carries hazards and injustice.

An 8-year old boy dies.

Marathon runners have their legs amputated.

Since the blast, I’ve heard some people say this changes everything for Boston, for the marathon, for Americans’ sense of safety in the world. I don’t agree. Our world is scary, unstable, dark as 4 a.m. on the Lexington town green. In the collective history of humanity, it’s been a long time since there hasn’t been tragedy — a life taken too soon, a body hurt by a bomb or a gun or a crippling disease.

The Boston bombings are nothing new. They are simply one more reminder that, at some level, our world is not secure, even though, as comedian Patton Oswalt famously posted on Facebook Monday, “If it's one person or a HUNDRED people [who bombed Boston], that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out.”

It creates a paradox for me as a religious leader to acknowledge the seemingly eternal presence of this darkness while I stand with the fundamental Christian tenet that light overcomes it. That paradox can test any person’s faith, rendering hope complex, messy. That paradox challenges me as I think about this Sunday morning, and what I will preach to my congregation as I stand in the pulpit of my Lexington church.

So what I will tell them is this: I will not deny the darkness. I will not deny its power. But I will remind them — and perhaps myself a little bit too — to think about tragedy the same way our forebears did. It may seem we are outnumbered in our battle against evil. It may seem we’re standing alone and haggard, outgunned like those militiamen who fought for our country’s independence 238 years ago.

Yet just as in those early battles of the Revolution, there are reservists who want the light to win.  There are ordinary people who step out into danger, into darkness, to shine a light. On the day of the marathon bombings, bystanders who could have protected themselves rushed to help the injured. Doctors, nurses, and their assistants worked overtime to make sure that those affected received the care they deserved, while law enforcement officials sought justice on the city’s behalf. Bostonians came out to offer marathoners juice and a bathroom, even as officials told them to stay indoors. A nearby restaurant called El Pelon Taqueria gave out free food, drinks, cell phone charger outlets, and the 9-year old daughter of the owner, Addison Hoben, decorated to-go bags with the words, “It’s going to be alright” and “We’re not afraid.”

Those are some of our nation’s reservists, though not all of them by far. Many of us shine light into the dark in quieter ways: by volunteering at a soup kitchen or a prison, by donating blood, by sitting in the waiting room during a friend’s surgery, by caring for an aging parent. Not for naught did the famous Mr. Rogers — who was also a Presbyterian minister — say the words that have been so often quoted in social media since the bombings: “When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.’ ”

What I will tell my congregation Sunday is that I believe in the power of darkness, and I believe that humans can do horrible things. But I also believe that light will eventually outshine the dark, that the reservists among us are fighting a war to defeat violence and evil, and that one day they will permanently win it. That is what makes me a Christian, and it is also what makes me an American, the descendant of the patriots who gave their life on the Lexington battle green so many years ago.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Massachusetts • Terrorism • Violence

1. Douglas

Boston PD, FBI, CIA, ATF, DOJ, DIA and other agencies,
    Great Job!

Thanks for bringing these punks to justice.

The USA will give this uncelibate, fornicating, sissy a fair trial and then he will be condemned to death
    where he will burn in h-e-l-l, where he truly belongs.

Thanks again first responders in Boston and West, Texas for your selfless courage in the face of danger.

May God Bless all of you and your families.

Our prayers go out to the dead and to the wounded and their families.

Yours in Christ,
    The Douglas Family

April 20, 2013 at 9:08 am |
    • clarity

fornicating? LOL

April 20, 2013 at 9:22 am |
    • Akira

I assume the that your know from firsthand experience that the kid was an "uncelibate, fornicating, sissy." How long have you known him, Douglas? He is only 19, after all.

April 20, 2013 at 11:18 am |
    • Science

Hey doogie ..................Do you have a Y

Was the bible around back then ?...............do you have one lol??........... a Y ?

Human Y Chromosome Much Older Than Previously Thought

Mar. 4, 2013 — The discovery and analysis of an extremely rare African American Y chromosome pushes back the time of the most recent common ancestor for the Y chromosome lineage tree to 338,000 years ago. This time predates the age of the oldest known anatomically modern human fossils.

No god(s) needed or required to graduate from public schools in the US

Peace

April 21, 2013 at 4:50 pm |
    • sam stone

doogie: if you were in christ, hopefully you used some good lube. he is probably dry after all this time

April 22, 2013 at 12:17 pm |
  2. Clarity

God is Great!!!

April 19, 2013 at 9:15 pm |
    • Tony the Tiger

Corn Flakes are GREAT ! ! !

April 20, 2013 at 9:18 am |
    • clarity

It's another day where no gods necessary for lowercase clarity.

April 20, 2013 at 9:21 am |
    • pothead

Love me some flakes after I burn one

April 21, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
  3. Rachel

We remember all those that are hurting today in our prayers, we pray for peace.

April 19, 2013 at 5:01 pm |
    • Chad

And we will change our name back and forth between Chand and Rachel so we can say we like our own posts.

And we will use insipid smileys 😀

April 19, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
    • Science

Well lookie here chad is doing the twist with rachael funny sh-ti..............and new partner in the waiting above.........Doogie.

LOL

April 20, 2013 at 9:17 am |
  4. His panic

I watched the news coverage of today's events in Boston. Great job done by all involved in chasing this irrational criminals! Kudos to all City State and Federal agencies involved, we are all very fortunate to have such a force. The Good Lord in Heaven has made provision on that!!

However many people appear to be in a state of Panic. One of the criminals is at large, he also maybe in a total state of Panic, he must be panicking. The Authorities are closing on him and I have no doubt that I'm his Panic.

April 19, 2013 at 2:06 pm |
  5. Cheap Twitter Followers

I somewhat agree, but some matters should be done a bit differently. Cheap Twitter Followers http://www.iTOOLS3000.com

April 18, 2013 at 11:15 pm |
  6. wilie kishi

til I saw the draft of $5906, I didnt believe that...my... best friend woz like truly making money in there spare time from there pretty old laptop.. there neighbour had bean doing this 4 only eight months and just repaid the morgage on there house and bought a great new Lexus LS400. we looked here.......... ZOO80. ℂom

April 18, 2013 at 4:25 pm |
  7. AverageJoe76

The 'God Concept' has driven man insane. Earth must've been a lonely place for early man. Looking up at all those stars, and actually trying to imagine what they were, and how they got there. I totally understand praising the sun as a god – if I were early man. Why early man turned away from sun-worship? IDK? Probably something I'm too lazy to research, to be honest. But at least the sun is right there, in your face. Something proven. How man moved away from obvious symbols of worship to the totally obsure and invisible ones (Ahem – the trinity) with a wholeheart, is not baffling, but significant into revealing the extent of our fears. Only underlying FEAR can get you to get onboard with most the stuff shoveled in churches. If you don't question God's motives in the Tower of Babbel, then you won't ever question anything. And if that's the case, please send 1 million to my paypal account, Jesus compels you.

April 18, 2013 at 11:18 am |
    • Jesus freaker

In modern times your god must be invisible or people will think you're delusional. 🙂

April 18, 2013 at 11:35 am |
    • inachu

I am not an atheist but I can tell you that Before Jesus there were other so called erthen men who were called gods that died and rose from the dead all the time. Marduk and Ra and a few others. The teachings of Jesus are not followed by evangelicals because they are in a war like state of mind because of their END TIME CULT persona to wipe out all muslims from Israel when jews and muslims lived in peace among themselves before the creation of the NEOCONS at the signing of the Balfour agreement. Even Pastor Hagee the #1 neocon stated that Hitler was the fist of GOD! But even the israeli neocons still follow PAstor Hagee because of his hard core lookout that he speaks better of Israel than some hebrews do.

So thus this war is one based on ideology to make sure Israel gets their biblical land back from Iraq and Syria and Jordan.
      Evangelical are quite staunch supporters for Israel that do not care how many children die in the process. But the numbers are there and so far over 750,000 children have been killed in the middle east because of evangelical wars for Israel and oil.

This war is one big lie.

April 18, 2013 at 11:43 am |
  8. lol??

"Hbr 11:7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith."

April 17, 2013 at 7:22 pm |
    • Rodrigo El Obviouso Del Los Santos Y Sanitarios

Repopulating the Earth must have been awkward with just his family.

April 17, 2013 at 7:38 pm |
    • lol??

Noe had it made with marriage license fees. It was so profitable he expanded into marital courts. Next thing ya know he has a whole gaggle of attorneys.

April 17, 2013 at 8:04 pm |
    • .

And his offspring were also his grandkids. Yay morality!

April 17, 2013 at 9:52 pm |
    • Yeah Right

Noah: because Christians will believe anything

April 18, 2013 at 2:52 am |
    • Jesus freaker

It's fortunate that God is good and merciful allowing ONE family to live.

April 18, 2013 at 11:18 am |
  9. STFU

unconfirmed reports say Mohammad A. Dar's Pakistani parrot knew only two words "pressure" "cooker"

April 17, 2013 at 5:39 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

and hindu stinky secular, self centered skunk is in it, pressure cooker is ready to explode for over bearing of hinduism stink of hindu secular, filthy self center ism of hindu stinky skunk.

April 17, 2013 at 7:28 pm |
    • STFU

Mohammad my friend, you muslims, especially Pakis, are the best in hiding bombs, how many IEDs can you fit in your bunghole? Just wondering.

April 17, 2013 at 8:17 pm |
  10. Atheist Hunter

2 Peter 3:3-4
    Knowing this first of all, that scoffers will come in the last days with scoffing, following their own sinful desires. They will say, “Where is the promise of his coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all things are continuing as they were from the beginning of creation.”

HelpfulNot Helpful
    Luke 21:36 ESV / 16 helpful votes
    But stay awake at all times, praying that you may have strength to escape all these things that are going to take place, and to stand before the Son of Man.”

Jude 1:18 ESV / 14 helpful votes
    They said to you, “In the last time there will be scoffers, following their own ungodly passions.”

HelpfulNot Helpful
    Acts 13:41 ESV
    “‘Look, you scoffers, be astounded and perish; for I am doing a work in your days, a work that you will not believe, even if one tells it to you.’”

HelpfulNot Helpful
    2 Peter 3:2-3 ESV / 10 helpful votes
    That you should remember the predictions of the holy prophets and the commandment of the Lord and Savior through your apostles, knowing this first of all, that scoffers will come in the last days with scoffing, following their own sinful desires.

1 Timothy 6:20 ESV
    O Timothy, guard the deposit entrusted to you. Avoid the irreverent babble and contradictions of what is falsely called “knowledge,”

2 Corinthians 4:4
    In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

Matthew 24:37-39 ESV
    For as were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.

April 17, 2013 at 5:03 pm |
    • AH Blaster

LOL – tard.

April 17, 2013 at 5:09 pm |
    • Rodrigo El Obviouso Del Los Santos Y Sanitarios

I do not see how quoting the book of evil will help anyone.

April 17, 2013 at 5:17 pm |
    • Atheist Hunter

you're right, you are blind and you do not see.....................

April 17, 2013 at 5:20 pm |
    • Death Chicken of the Armageddon

Noah. How can anyone believe that obviously impossible nonsense?

April 17, 2013 at 5:27 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF BULLSH.IT

THANKS FOR MORE COPY-PASTE BIBLE QUOTES

THAT'S REAL DEEP, YOU CANDY ASS WASTE OF SKIN

April 17, 2013 at 5:33 pm |
    • Rodrigo El Obviouso Del Los Santos Y Sanitarios

I was blind when I was a christian for decades. Then I woke up and left the cult.

April 17, 2013 at 5:35 pm |
    • Reality

From Father Raymond Brown’s, An Introduction to the New Testament, 2 Peter was
      the last canonical work written i.e. ~ 130 AD, author unknown. Tis a bit dated for use in claiming anything.

Timothy's epistle as per most modern NT scholars was not written by Paul so it has no divine guidance.

Luke 21:36, not historical based on the studies of many contemporary NT experts e.g. http://www.faithfutures.org/JDB/jdb188.html. See also Professor Gerd Ludemann's review and conclusions in his book, Jesus After 2000 Years especially p. 93.

Matt 24: 37-39 As per Professor Ludemann's analysis, "These saying are inauthentic, p. 232 in the book referenced above.

Then we have the situation where to the best of our knowledge Abraham and Moses did not exist putting the kibosh on the OT.

And if we are going to thu-mp an authentic passage of the NT:

JC's family and friends had it right 2000 years ago ( Mark 3: 21 "And when his friends heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself.")

Said passage is one of the few judged to be authentic by most contemporary NT scholars. e.g. See Professor Ludemann's conclusion in his book, Jesus After 2000 Years, p. 24 and p. 694.

Actually, Jesus was a bit "touched". After all he thought he spoke to Satan, thought he changed water into wine, thought he raised Lazarus from the dead etc. In today's world, said Jesus would be declared legally insane.

Or did P, M, M, L and J simply make him into a first century magic-man via their epistles and gospels of semi-fiction? Many contemporary NT experts after thorough analyses of all the scriptures go with the latter magic-man conclusion with J's gospel being mostly fiction.

Obviously, today's followers of Paul et al's "magic-man" are also a bit on the odd side believing in all the Christian mumbo jumbo about bodies resurrecting, and exorcisms, and miracles, and "magic-man atonement, and infallible, old, European/Utah white men, and 24/7 body/blood sacrifices followed by consumption of said sacrifices. Yummy!!!!

So why do we really care what a first century CE, illiterate, long-dead, preacher/magic man would do or say?

April 17, 2013 at 6:07 pm |
    • nothing

Jesus is the best friend I have ever had in my entire lifetime.

April 18, 2013 at 10:49 am |
    • Reality

A friend in Jesus. Maybe not after you read the following:

Jesus was an illiterate Jewish peasant/carpenter/simple preacher man who suffered from hallucinations (or “mythicizing” from P, M, M, L and J) and who has been characterized anywhere from the Messiah from Nazareth to a mythical character from mythical Nazareth to a ma-mzer from Nazareth (Professor Bruce Chilton, in his book Rabbi Jesus).

An-alyses of Jesus’ life by many contemporary NT scholars (e.g. Professors Ludemann, Crossan, Borg and Fredriksen, ) via the NT and related doc-uments have concluded that only about 30% or less of Jesus' sayings and ways noted in the NT were authentic. The rest being embellishments (e.g. miracles)/hallucinations made/had by the NT authors to impress various Christian, Jewish and Pagan sects.

The 30% of the NT that is "authentic Jesus" like everything in life was borrowed/plagiarized and/or improved from those who came before. In Jesus' case, it was the ways and sayings of the Babylonians, Greeks, Persians, Egyptians, Hitt-ites, Canaanites, OT, John the Baptizer and possibly the ways and sayings of traveling Greek Cynics.

earlychristianwritings.com/

April 18, 2013 at 2:35 pm |
    • Deuteronomy

If you find a dead body and don't know the cause of death, then get all
      the elders together, cut off the head of a heifer, wash your hands over
      its body, and say our hands have not shed this blood. (That'll do it!)
      21:1-8
      "Thou shalt not plow with an ox and an ass together" or wear wool and
      linen together in the same garment. But "thou shalt make thee fringes
      upon the four quarters of thy vesture." 22:10-12
      You can't go to church if your testicles are damaged or your penis has
      been cut off. 23:1

April 18, 2013 at 9:53 pm |
  11. EvinAR

I'm glad this is in 'opinion'. The only light I care to hear about in the news is if we discover something more about the nature of actual light, how to travel closer to the speed of it, or if using it aids in the discovery of something else. Basically, real light. Not 'God's Light', 'the light in us all' (really? I don't glow..), 'let there be light', etc. You want to write and speak metaphorically? Don't pretend that your metaphorical grasping is even a symbol of reality. Say what this 'light' you speak of really is – emotional and sociological well-being. This kind of crap talk not only avoids revealing the true nature of the subjects of society but helps reinforce x, y, and z delusions in x, y, and z people. There is nothing connecting photons to neurons other than the sensory input of sight and the infrared glow of chemical reactions in all living matter.

Get a grip! Face this terrible tragedy like it is – the uncontrolled chaos of society vs. anti-society, its effects on the brain, and a person with a brain, in society, who has come to a different conclusion that is unacceptable and deadly to society. We'll try to stop it, and be safer I'm sure, but there's nothing in the sky even attempting or caring one way or the other.

April 17, 2013 at 5:00 pm |
    • Atheist Hunter

seems you're on the wrong blog to find what you are looking for

April 17, 2013 at 5:06 pm |
  12. Reality

The brightest light in the world today: THERE IS NO GOD !!!

Added details are available upon written request.

April 17, 2013 at 4:51 pm |
  13. Atheist Hunter

Just sharing.........for God so loved the world.....................

April 17, 2013 at 4:35 pm |
    • sam stone

for god so loved the world that he had his son whacked when he didn't need to

April 17, 2013 at 4:48 pm |
    • God

Let's see, I want to remove sin from the world. Should I just snap my omnipotent fingers and it's done, or shall I come up with this bizarre elaborate guilt trip scheme where I send part of me to Earth to get killed, sorta not really, then become a Zombie.

It's stupid, but I'm bored, so I think I'll go with the zombie one.

April 17, 2013 at 4:52 pm |
    • Atheist Hunter

Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

Luke 12:4 "I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more.
      --------------------------–
      John 10:11 "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.
      --------------------------–
      John 17:19 For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.
      --------------------------–
      Romans 5:7 Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die.
      --------------------------–
      Romans 5:8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
      --------------------------–
      1 John 3:16 This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters.

April 17, 2013 at 5:09 pm |
    • Terry

" Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters."

No, that was stolen from Mithra the true son of God!

April 17, 2013 at 5:15 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

"Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters."

But we are constantly told "Jesus lives", so it was more of a bad weekend.

April 17, 2013 at 10:50 pm |
  14. bobk52

I retire name, bobk52, & move on . resume ur childish bickering, losers!

April 17, 2013 at 4:19 pm |
    • Col. Kilgore

I love the smell of hypocrisy in the morning. It smells like . . . religion

April 17, 2013 at 4:23 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

Self richness and personality worship is foundation of hinduism corruption of truth called religions, handy work of hindu Jews, criminal secular s, self centered to make humanity their gentile, slave.

April 17, 2013 at 4:35 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION FOR DRAWING MO HAMED

Draw poorly draw often.

April 17, 2013 at 4:44 pm |
    • Smiley G. Zeus

Here is a picture of Mohammed: 👿

Here is a picture of Mohammed upon seeing a very attractive goat: 😈

There is a picture of the goat when it notices the look in Mohammed's eyes: 😯

Here is the goat's face as Mohammed loves him long time: 😳

Here is the face of all Mohammed's other goatfriends: 😥

April 17, 2013 at 4:49 pm |
    • .

Which means you'll be back under a differen name, bobk52. Yawn.

April 18, 2013 at 10:52 pm |
  15. kevobx

Remember king David and his son king Solomon worshipped other gods and were not redeemed because they loved the world and the world loves them back. Jacob and Joseph have redeemed us (Psalm 77:15) the sons of Israel are not consumed *Malachi 3:6* Be strong be brave. (2nd Corinthians 2:11 Lest Satan should get advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.)

April 17, 2013 at 4:11 pm |
    • Rodrigo El Obviouso Del Los Santos Y Sanitarios

Who is satan?

April 17, 2013 at 4:17 pm |
    • Damien

Satan is the guy that outsmarted god and messed up his divine plan. That's why humans are all sinners.

April 17, 2013 at 4:20 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

satan is the ent_ity early christians created to instill fear and compliance with their particular dogma/insanity

April 17, 2013 at 4:25 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

hinduism absurdity of hindu Pharisees, filthy secular s, denier of truth absolute, They payed to none other than truth absolute, GOD of Abraham, NONE OTHER.

April 17, 2013 at 4:39 pm |
  16. bobk52

I see the same people on this blog saying the same thing day after day, get a freakin life losers!

April 17, 2013 at 4:03 pm |
    • I am a real doctor because I read Web MD

I see you've arrived just in time to contribute the same complaint. As usual. Thanks for keeping it mundane.

April 17, 2013 at 4:07 pm |
    • bobk52

ur welcome, loser!

April 17, 2013 at 4:09 pm |
    • sam stone

yet you come here every day to read them?

April 17, 2013 at 4:10 pm |
    • bobk52

sorry, I use bad word in reply , not post , losers!

April 17, 2013 at 4:14 pm |
  17. Lucifer's Evil Twin

A lot of anger on here today... more than usual that is...

April 17, 2013 at 3:57 pm |
  18. Rodrigo El Obviouso Del Los Santos Y Sanitarios

I'm not sure why the Boston story is in the belief blog. Surely the almighty would have stopped this from happening if it existed. The truth is that the only "light" here are those that jumped in to help the injured with no regard for their own safety. There is no almighty to stop these things from happening. If one such being existed, then you are absolutely SICK for worshiping something that would allow such a terrible tragedy to happen in the first place.

April 17, 2013 at 3:46 pm |
    • Mark From Middle River

If one only look at the bad is that the same as those that only register the good? Bomb goes off at a crowded location and only three die. Other parts of the world it is 30 or 50. Here we mourn only three. As easily as you can lean on why something bad happened those of Faith can just as easily glorify the only three deaths.

April 17, 2013 at 4:02 pm |
    • Rodrigo El Obviouso Del Los Santos Y Sanitarios

April 17, 2013 at 4:10 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF BULLSH.IT

HEY MARK – THOSE ARE PLACES WHERE ACTIVE WARS ARE BEING FOUGHT, YOU IDIOT

April 17, 2013 at 5:35 pm |
    • Mark From Middle River

>>>”This is an empty shell of a rebuttal. The fact that people of faith would glorify death in the first place proves exactly my point. You are truly lost.”

Rodrigo, let us not pretend that a person on opposite views would not openly and quickly declare that the others point is empty or lacking. The fact is that just as I am an African American I find it foolish when other African Americans attempt to declare that all Caucasians are of a single thought or motive. This is fact, people are not monolithic. To say that people of Faith glorify Death but to also know that we are the largest part of the Pro-Life movement and the Anti-Death Penalty, does make your view a bit confusing.

I would offer this, if a person is suffering from a disease which is causing great pain, if that person dies and is not suffering further.... would you in some way glorify it?

>>>”HEY MARK – THOSE ARE PLACES WHERE ACTIVE WARS”

Please define “active wars” and if you feel India is currently in a active war.

Even in Britain there were bombings even back in 2005.

Heck, we were not at active war and had the Oklahoma City Bombings …. and not one Muslim was involved.

April 17, 2013 at 6:10 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

"I'm not sure why the Boston story is in the belief blog."

April 17, 2013 at 6:16 pm |
    • Rodrigo El Obviouso Del Los Santos Y Sanitarios

Mark, your statements confuse me. First, conservatives are made up mostly of the faithful and support the death penalty more than any other demographic. Second, glorifying death in any manner is illogical. Furthermore, invalidating one tragedy in lieu of another is at best heartless. Empathy is felt more when something happens "closer to home." The more relatable the experience, the more attachment we feel to it. It is human nature. Most citizens can't relate to living in a country where people are being blown up on a regular basis. Naturally, the empathy for such an occurence is low. When it comes to going to school or going to see a movie, almost everyone can related. Or going to work for example. Relatable experiences:

9/11 – Ordinary people at work get attacked with planes
      Aurora -Ordinary people at a movie for entertainment
      Virgina Tech – Ordinary people at college to learn
      Newtown – Ordinary children in elementary school
      Boston – Ordinary athletes, their friends and family out to support them

The relation is key to empathy. Someone could have walked into my elementary school, college, or a movie theater I was in at any time. How many people in this country think about Aurora when they go to see a movie now? How many people now question the stability of someone at their college that seems a little "off?" These are relatable experiences to most of us.

As for glorifying death in any way, this is terrible. Glorifying death even if it is an end to suffering is a not a positive thing. This is where faith falters terribly. No one should say, "Oh, thank god only three people died." Just because there could have been more deaths does not make it ok to thank an invisible being that there weren't. This is sadistic. And one has to distinguish between an end to suffering and a callous act against innocents. Even if someone loses their life to a long, horrific battle with cancer, they still suffered. It should in no way be celebrated. Is it alright to be glad they aren't suffering? Sure, but glorifying it is the worst possible term to use here to distinguish such confused emotions. No one should ever glorify the fact that they will never get to experience the company of a loved one ever again.

As for the following:

"It's an op-ed piece by a Massachsetts priest planning her Sunday sermon. Why wouldn't it be on the Belief Blog?"

Because it is not known whether or not this was carried out as a result of religious belief for starters. To bring religion into it invalidates the tragedy, invalidates the victims, and invalidates the praise that should be given to those that jumped into the middle of the mess to help as many people as they could. While some of that credit is given, the overtone of good vs. evil in terms of a higher power takes it away, as though "the light" came along and empowered simpletons to act according to its "loving" will. This would be more accurate to simply state that there are truly good people out there, and they deserve the praise and respect for their selfless acts. It can be said that Mr. Rogers was an honorable, respectable man whom we should all admire for his truly caring passion for humanity and his unconditional love for children without a need to press his religious background as to remind us that only the religious are capable of good deeds. This is why it doesn't belong here.

April 17, 2013 at 7:23 pm |
  19. kevobx

The most high God is calling for the 144,000 in spirit and in truth. (Psalm 77:15) The new Jerusalem are the twelve tribes the children of Israel in Revelation 21:12

April 17, 2013 at 3:42 pm |
    • sam stone

And all this time I thought the most high god was Willie Nelson

April 17, 2013 at 3:46 pm |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

Oh look, a JW...AtheistSteve and I love when JW's come to the door....we invite them in and then watch as they squirm off to the elders because they're lost little sheep who can't think for themselves and never have a good rebuttal for the facts put forth to them.

April 17, 2013 at 3:50 pm |
    • Damien

Satan. Winning since chapter 3 of genesis.

April 17, 2013 at 4:11 pm |
    • pothead

@sam willie for president

April 21, 2013 at 11:59 pm |
    • sam stone

would that mean that woody harrelson would be VP?

April 22, 2013 at 12:20 pm |
  20. JM

I think that things will actually get worse.

Too much inequality and injustice has arisen because of the commercialization of our government and political system. Every policy and action taken by the government lately seems to have been designed to benefit corporations and powerful wealthy individuals without much regards to negative effects on the vast majority of Americans who feel more helpless everyday.

This creates a lot of anger, hate and resentment. I'll bet that the attacker in Boston is an American who snapped because of what I just described. Soon enough, foreign terrorism will be the least of our worries. We are going to have a bunch of people turning into nut cases and going violent doing these kinds of things more often. It looks really bad.

April 17, 2013 at 3:29 pm |
    • Seriously?

" I'll bet that the attacker in Boston is an American who snapped because of what I just described. Soon enough, foreign terrorism will be the least of our worries. We are going to have a bunch of people turning into nut cases and going violent doing these kinds of things more often. It looks really bad."

Seriously? Come on I am so sick of negative people. Negativity like yours is dragging down our society. There are millions of people doing good things in their communities that far out weigh those doing bad. The news media only reports the bad because it sells but it in NO way reflects what is really happening in our world. It's time for you to turn off your television and actually get involved in your own community. Look at what happened in Oklahoma and our world didn't crumble, in fact it did get better in many ways. These sick people don't have power over us and there are millions of us doing good things in our communities and around the world.

April 17, 2013 at 3:37 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

hinduism illegality, product of hindu secular ism, breeds hinduism illegality, way of hindu secular s, filthy animals, faith of hindus ignorant s.

April 17, 2013 at 3:40 pm |