home
RSS
Opinion: Don't scapegoat a faith for bombings
A Muslim woman attends an interfaith vigil for September 11 victims in Boston last fall.
April 21st, 2013

Opinion: Don't scapegoat a faith for bombings

Editor's note: Farhana Khera is the president and executive director of Muslim Advocates, a national legal advocacy organization dedicated to promoting freedom, justice and equality for all, regardless of faith.

By Farhana Khera, Special to CNN

(CNN) - Like so many Americans across the country, I was shocked when I heard of the attacks at the Boston Marathon. A part of me immediately traveled back to when I was cheering runners myself as a student at Wellesley College, the midpoint for the marathon, a time when such dangers as bombings never crossed our minds.

Boston is an indelible part in the personal history and identity of those who have lived or attended school in the city. That someone had detonated bombs at an event that symbolized unity in a place known for its rich diversity and as a birthplace of our nation's freedom was heartbreaking.

FULL COMMENTARY
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Islam • Massachusetts • Opinion • Violence

1. Katherine F.

I'm really trying to be open minded and not at all prejudiced against any one group but I am getting tired of overlooking the common thread of this religion.

April 22, 2013 at 8:52 pm |
    • Francisco

The writing is on the wall. If we don't take decisive action now it will get worse. I am sure the FBI and Military is doing something they might not be telling us to protect our citizens. I think we need to be transparent and expose the "teachings" of this dangerous religion.

April 22, 2013 at 9:32 pm |
  2. Francisco

You cannot reason with Muslims. You can talk until the cows come home with irrefutable reason. It ain't gonna happen. They hate anybody that is not a Muslim and they think that everybody that isn't Muslim should be dead. That is their definition peace. The Muslim population is growing around the world. It will become a very formidible problem if we don't put this cancer in check now.

April 22, 2013 at 8:51 pm |
  3. CROM

This woman is obviously stupid. Those bombings were CAUSED by their incredibly f-ed up religion. ISLAM.
    It is the religion that is to blame here. Religions are lies, have no authority whatsoever, and cannot be trusted at any time for guidance or anything else.
    Those pieces of shlt were MUSLIM pieces of shlt who based their MUSLIM attacks on their MUSLIM beliefs which were based on the MUSLIM religion.
    Don't scapegoat a faith? When it was definitely the CAUSE, then YES – WE WILL BLAME YOUR F*ED UP RELIGION.
    Without the religion, what would have happened? Nothing. Without the religious motivation, they would not have felt able to commit those crimes, since they would not have felt that some supernatural super-being was FULLY SUPPORTING THEM.
    Without that extra and schizophrenic boost to their self-confidence, they would not have been able to go to those extremes.
    GET IT YET? YOUR RELIGION CAUSED THEM TO DO WHAT THEY DID. THEY ADMITTED THAT ISLAM WAS THE CAUSE.
    SO FUCK YOU AND ALL MUSLIMS FOREVER! YOUR RELIGION MUST DIE SO THAT THE WORLD CAN LIVE IN PEACE.

April 22, 2013 at 8:20 pm |
  4. ISLAM FOUNDATION OF BOSTON MARATHON

Yo Mohammad A. Dar, take it easy, goon, stop your pressure cooker ism, filthy islamic underwear ism, don't forget to breath, crook

- STFU

April 22, 2013 at 7:53 pm |
  5. HeavenSent's 12-Year-Old Daughter

The hole in my mattress got bigger after the fire, so now I just sleep on this part.

April 22, 2013 at 6:59 pm |
  6. Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel

Islamabot is part of a good breakfast.

April 22, 2013 at 6:56 pm |
  7. Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel

Christians and Muslims need a place to put their head down, and I know just the place.

April 22, 2013 at 6:54 pm |
  8. HeavenSent's 12-Year-Old Daughter

Mama told me to quit smoking but it was upsetting my kids.

April 22, 2013 at 6:53 pm |
  9. HeavenSent's Camel-Toe Diaries

We started learning to share once the bleeding stopped.

April 22, 2013 at 6:50 pm |
  10. Mickey1313

Islam, and the cults that spawned out, christianity and jewism, are the root of most of todays evil. We need a v for vendetta style absolute ban on theism.

April 22, 2013 at 6:46 pm |
    • lol??

What are ya gonna do with MS-13, give em a pass?

April 22, 2013 at 7:03 pm |
    • Akira

As many street gangs are very religious themselves, no.

April 22, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
  11. Gopika

Let me present myself as a reason not to stereotype. A few weeks ago I decided Krishna was just awesomesauce, right? So I posted about Krishna somewhere and someone cursed me out in Bengali about the same thing like this guy is posting.
    I had to go back and ask for him to translate. And even after he did explain some Indian political stuff I am not up on, I had to explain I had no idea what he's talking about. I'm a white girl from the southern US.

But he had some agenda in his mind coz I was into Krishna at the time. If I ever want to read up on Islam or get into Allah then people will give me a whole new set of business. Or if I want to study about Jesus next..then what, then I'm a republican in your eyes.

So do I just float around in pantheism coz it's safe?

Just sayin.

April 22, 2013 at 6:46 pm |
    • Gopika

You guys need to let racism, nationalism, and religionism go let it all go...and just relax and enjoy. Religions are supposed to be fun and not taken overboard.

April 22, 2013 at 6:47 pm |
    • Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel

When you turn 21 you will start to settle down.

April 22, 2013 at 6:48 pm |
    • lol??

Buddhism leads to self-immolation. Better save that for last if yer on a binge.

April 22, 2013 at 6:54 pm |
    • Akira

Sigh.
      Lol??, do you like people misrepresenting Christianity? No? Then what makes you think it's perfectly all right to do the same damned thing?

April 22, 2013 at 7:49 pm |
  12. Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel

Show me a Christian and a Jew. I will show you the parents of a Muslim.

April 22, 2013 at 6:42 pm |
    • lol??

"Rom 2:28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither [is that] circu*mcision, which is outward in the flesh:"

April 22, 2013 at 6:49 pm |
    • Judge

Balif, whack his pee pee.

April 22, 2013 at 7:00 pm |
  13. HeavenSent's Camel-Toe Diaries

I was just holding it for a friend.

April 22, 2013 at 6:39 pm |
  14. CNN Moderator

@ ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

We have received numerous complaints regarding your posts. You are notified to cease posting – your IP address has been tracked and any further posts will be blocked. For further information see the contact information on the home page and email us.

– CNN

April 22, 2013 at 6:08 pm |
    • LOL!

LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL!

April 22, 2013 at 6:14 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

Me too.

April 22, 2013 at 6:19 pm |
    • LOL!

So Moderator why are they still allowed to post huh?

April 22, 2013 at 6:25 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

It is hindu secular ism, stupid self center ism of son of languor, secular pretending to be of CNN.

April 22, 2013 at 6:35 pm |
    • fyi

Perhaps you mean well, but fyi, you are in violation of this site's TOS:

• You agree not to impersonate any person or ent'ity, including, but not limited to, any CNN employee, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with any person or ent'ity;

April 22, 2013 at 7:00 pm |
  15. TheRationale

Don't scapegoat? PLEASE. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. It IS Islam. Look at countries dominated by Islam. Pakistan. Oman. Yemen. Iran. Saudi Arabia. Shall we continue? It's a human rights crisis over there. How many terrorists have to kill Americans and other innocent people before we pull out ostrich heads out of the sand and realize, oh gee, it is Islam. If you read the Quran, you can find pages upon pages which justify terrorists. And plenty that don't. Although that should drive the point home that it's a foolish doctrine, to put it mildly. Ditch these ancient, evil, backwards religions and grab hold of some humanity.

April 22, 2013 at 6:05 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

It is matter of La. truth absolute hindu, ignorant, not as you hind, absurd, of religion.

April 22, 2013 at 6:11 pm |
    • Ken Margo

Christianity has the same issues also. You couldn't pay me to live to live in the middle east. If we could keep them over there AND we stay over here I would be totally happy with that. But religious violence is everywhere.

April 22, 2013 at 6:12 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

Better than to be in gutter of hinduism racism india, who would like to be in, none but a hindu ignorant pretending to be in America.

April 22, 2013 at 6:19 pm |
  16. HeavenSent's Camel-Toe Diaries

My camel-toe caught the mouse but I don't think this is the cheese.

April 22, 2013 at 5:56 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

By a rat of hindu secular ism, stupid self center ism,

April 22, 2013 at 6:00 pm |
    • CNN Moderator

@ ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

– CNN

April 22, 2013 at 6:04 pm |
    • Akira

How weird a CNN mod wouldn't know how to spell Constitution without the space.

April 22, 2013 at 6:26 pm |
  17. Apple Bush

I have heard many people create new meanings for the word "secular", even the Dalai Lama, but none are more strange than the interpretaton by ISLAM CONSTI PATION. Well done Islamabot.

April 22, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

Truth is always some thing of a strange nature, for a hindu ignorant, born in hind gutter of hinduism ignorance of hindu secular ism, ignorant self center ism.

April 22, 2013 at 6:03 pm |
    • CNN Moderator

@ ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

– CNN

April 22, 2013 at 6:05 pm |
    • LOL!

April 22, 2013 at 6:15 pm |
  18. Ken Margo

No we shouldn't stereotype Muslims. Just like we shouldn't stereotype Christians when a whack job kills an abortion provider because he's "pro life". On the other hand we cannot ignore the views of these "so called" religious people. You cannot ignore the common issue involved with the violence.

April 22, 2013 at 5:34 pm |
    • Apple Bush

Ken, the common issue is religion. They are all to blame for willifully embracing lunacy over rationality.

April 22, 2013 at 5:38 pm |
    • Lynn the guest

I agree with Ken, actually. I think religions need to be talked about and discussed but there is a big difference between an open discussion and outright hatred.

April 22, 2013 at 5:40 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

hinduism, terrorism stems from hindu secular ism, criminal self center ism, nothing else, and believers of hindu atheism, criminal self center ism by faith, are none other than hindus, terrorist by faith.

April 22, 2013 at 5:41 pm |
    • Ken Margo

Not every person that's religious is a whack job. I want to be fair. My credibility means something to me. What religious people need to do is stop with the delusional statements like "god is watching" "god knows all" and all the other crap that you hear.

April 22, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
    • You've Got Foetus On Your Breath

Christians and Muslims have to eat.

April 22, 2013 at 5:47 pm |
    • Ken Margo

Eat what?

April 22, 2013 at 6:08 pm |
    • lol??

Fetus Fettuccine

April 22, 2013 at 6:29 pm |
    • .

Fetuccini

April 22, 2013 at 6:38 pm |
  19. Answer

@Islam

You want boom boom. Then go, boom boom. Won't, miss, loser.

April 22, 2013 at 5:25 pm |
  20. ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

Very humanly, compare to status bestowed upon them as a Dasi, slave by hindu secular s, criminal self centered, without regard to relationship, hindu r ap ist, they pry to as their god, ra p d his sister.

April 22, 2013 at 5:20 pm |