home
RSS
Catholic ads in NY: Jesus was 'the original hipster'
April 24th, 2013

Catholic ads in NY: Jesus was 'the original hipster'

By Pallavi Reddy, CNN

(CNN) - Ads around Brooklyn bring a new meaning to Joan Osborne's lyrics, “What if God was one of us?”

In a new ad campaign launched by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn this month, people in the borough and neighboring Queens have a new way to view Jesus: “The Original Hipster.”

The ads feature the bottom half of a man - meant to be Jesus - wearing robes with a pair of dirty red Converse sneakers peeking out from the bottom.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

In a news release, the diocese refers to Seth Meyers' joke on “Saturday Night Live” that Converse sneakers are why more Catholics are returning to the church, and says the marketing campaign is “showing a cooler and more welcoming side of the Catholic Church.”

Brooklyn's Williamsburg neighborhood, near Queens, is considered to be the "unofficial East Coast birthplace of hipsterism," as a 2012 article in Forbes put it.

Monsignor Kieran Harrington said he understood the importance of relating to the people of the area.

“Jesus appears (in these ads) like people of the L train,” he said. “What is a hipster anyway? Someone who stands against the (mainstream) culture. Jesus stood against the culture.”

CNN Belief: The Curious Case of the Christian Hipster

Ten months ago, the conversation started about creating such a campaign to let people know there are a variety of different faces who attend the church.

Harrington says these particular ads were a collaboration with the ad and PR agency Ruckus. Now they are found in places where the church doesn't usually advertise, including bus stands, restaurants and gyms.

The ads have generated online buzz in Salon, the Gothamist and other sites, and traffic on the diocese's website has gone up 400%, Harrington said.

As for what kind of ads to expect from the diocese next, the monsignor said: “It’s for you to find out.”

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Jesus • New York

soundoff (1,086 Responses)
  1. Doc Vestibule

Their re-branding campaign should've taken a different approach.
    They'd get more converts if they did something like:
    "Catholicism: We Don't Take The Bible Literally Anymore"
    or
    "At Least We Don't Deny Evolution"

April 25, 2013 at 10:36 am |
    • William Demuth

Perhaps the Jeebus as Parable pitch might work

A simple admisssion he is a fabrication used to teach a certain moral position might work wonders

April 25, 2013 at 10:39 am |
    • not my chair

if its the words of god or divinely inspired it should need to change to keep it from looking idiotic, unless gods and idiot.... i just blew my own mind

April 25, 2013 at 10:50 am |
    • Science

Hey Doc

Ditch the fairy in the sky and the stupid origin story too ................might help ?

April 25, 2013 at 10:51 am |

2. [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsknXsm2eHo&w=640&h=360]

April 25, 2013 at 10:36 am |
  3. GOD and Country

Ironman, there isnt anyone forcing any type of religion down your throat, are we holding you at gun point, have we beaten u if you dont believe, have we done wrong against your friends or family, no we have not. Your just speaking out another excuse and have no idea what you are complaining about.

April 25, 2013 at 10:35 am |
    • William Demuth

Bull

Your beliefs are bigoted obsolete and dangerous

We shall be free of them, by force if need be.

Your days in the sun are done, and all those you have abused are itching to get a little payback

April 25, 2013 at 10:37 am |
    • Mother Teresa

There is a reply button. Whack! goes my ruler on your scrawny fingers.

April 25, 2013 at 10:38 am |
    • Science

Years later and they are still trying ...................Bad for the children !....

Dover Trial Transcripts............................................. FACTS.

Below are the complete transcripts from the Dover Trial. Thanks to our friends at the National Center for Science Education for helping us fill in the missing transcripts.

April 25, 2013 at 10:45 am |
    • Pete

If you want to deny gay people the right to get married, or want to outlaw abortion, or want creationism taught in school then you have hurt others.

April 25, 2013 at 1:55 pm |
  4. Ghostriver Studios

Reblogged this on Ghost River Studios Blog.

April 25, 2013 at 10:32 am |
  5. AtheistsAreLosers

Sorry i meant Richard and not Robert.

April 25, 2013 at 10:32 am |
    • Mother Teresa

Whack!

April 25, 2013 at 10:34 am |
    • AtheistsAreLosers

Mother Theresa = Tom Tom The Piper Loser?

April 25, 2013 at 10:40 am |
    • Mother Teresa

@AAL – Shush! Don't talk back. Do your homework.

April 25, 2013 at 10:51 am |
  6. Bob

The Catholics are obviously getting even more desperate to sell their particular god fraud and recruit new fools into their particular pyramid scheme.

Funny too, that their "god" needs them to spend marketing dollars and do advertising. He can't seem to get his message out himself. As with every other mainstream religion, the "god" that they've created is a rather pathetically incapable one.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
    Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

April 25, 2013 at 10:30 am |
  7. Hegetarian

The Buddy Jesus! Kevin Smith was prescient....

April 25, 2013 at 10:22 am |
  8. jim

brian, do not let these guys fool you. they do not have any answers so their first question is can you "prove God"? if they would only look around unless they never get out and see Creation and realize that Science, Creation and God exist together so well. bill and sam and friends need to listen or read more and learn that they too can open their hearts and realize God will help them as they evidently do not believe the experiences of people who have been helped and that is not going to change anyone that will not keep on asking and keep on seeking to find the answers they claim to want. j

April 25, 2013 at 10:17 am |
    • Mother Teresa

I only recommend a good cardiologist if one suspects something wrong with their heart.

April 25, 2013 at 10:23 am |
    • Saraswati

@Jim,

If we believed every experience that people told us they'd had we'd have to believe in the Christian God, Allah, Green Tara and the Australian dreamtime. We'd believe in alien abduction and people who talk to ghosts. Do you believe every story someone tells you? No, you are picking selectively based on assumptions you already had.

The difference lies between people who think we that answers are good, whether right or not, and those that believe out problems are caused by having too many answers when there are no answers yet available. When a religion is simple and seeks only to fill a gap with simple concepts of "god" or "dharma" or "Dao" we are usually OK. But the more answers people need, the more elaborate stories they make up locking us forever after into an outdates network of outdated answers that once made somebody "feel good" but now hold us back and hurt millions.

April 25, 2013 at 10:24 am |
    • brian

Jim, looking back at my own behavior, I was probably just as hostile and rude. Trying to present the gospel to me then would indeed be casting pearls before swine. And the insults and jibes don't bother me...actually that should tell me I'm doing something right. Speaking from a purely secular perspective though, using hateful terms and calling people names doesn't advance your argument very well...or at all.

April 25, 2013 at 10:26 am |
    • BU2B

The world we live in is a pretty place (at least most of the time). How do you take this realization and jump to the conclusion of god? And more specifically, YOUR god?

April 25, 2013 at 10:28 am |
    • jim

sara, no one has to believe anything but to believe people have had these experiences only opens up conversation but it does not mean you have to believe what they believe but just believe they believe it. if you do not then why do you share in commenting with them?

April 25, 2013 at 10:30 am |
    • All Thinking Men Are Atheists

geez ur a dope

April 25, 2013 at 10:32 am |
    • ironman59

Your whole post proves you don't even understand the question. The problem atheists have with religion, other than we think it is a crock is this. Have all the religion you want but quit trying to force it down our throats. We don't need you praying for us, burning candles for us, claiming that "gawd" will show us the light. What you need to do is stick to your boundaries and keep your fairytales out of our secular life & secular government. When you do that you won't hear a word from atheists.

April 25, 2013 at 10:32 am |
    • JMEF

jim
      Saraswati beat me to it but you should specify which of the hundreds of man made gods you are referring too. As a deist I can accept a creator, whether a god or natural phenomenon, I do not know. I certainly do not believe there is a god watching my every move and judging my conduct or can answer prayers; that is what the hustlers want you to believe to keep their scam and lifestyles up and running.

April 25, 2013 at 10:34 am |
    • Pete

jim
      Christianity is being sold as some kind of cure to an original sin that they can't even prove is real. Would you take a medicine from someone who refuses to give you any evidence that it works, or even that it doesn't actually hurt you more than the condition you're trying to fix, or even prove that your "disease" is even real?

If you would then have I got some great investment advice for you! Buy high, and sell low! 🙂

April 25, 2013 at 10:34 am |
    • jim

brian, i do not believe I called anyone names and I also did not say I believe what you believe but what I believe is that all I see is a lot of people that just want an argument not a discussion so I think I am going to have to check back later to see if anyone has been entertained here or if they are taking all of this seriously. bye, j

April 25, 2013 at 10:36 am |
    • Saraswati

@jim,

I think very few people doubt that people believe in their own experiences. But when I pass a guy on the street who tells me that the government is trying to use him to take over the world I don't necessarily stop and have a conversation about it. Sure, you're looking at more people, but there are millions of people behind all the major religions all sharing similar experiences to those in their same group. I've listened to people tell me about their experiences with Chi, Krishna, Jesus, the Dao...all sorts of things. Heck, non-religious people believe all sorts of things too, from ghosts to free will to the power of crystals and homeopathic medicines that have been multiple times debunked. Most people in the US think they are more attractive than they are and better than average drivers. People, all of us, believe some pretty strange things.

April 25, 2013 at 10:37 am |
    • ROO

Claiming to have all the answers by saying "god did it" isn't any answers at all. We can claim what we discover, because that has provided the answers we do know at the moment. That is, in fact, how you find answers. Simple logic people. We ask "prove god" for the same reasons one would ask someone to prove fairies. Making claims and assertions are meaningless. Science has in fact looked around and found how the world works. None of that suggest a deity. You are placing a god on it. We ask you to prove that assertion. If you cannot do it, then don't make the empty claim. If you cannot prove god, then you cannot make the claim to know a god exist, or know its name, or what it wants. How then can you make such a claim? You are simply inventing things to say. Simple as that.

April 25, 2013 at 10:38 am |
    • AtheistsAreLosers

April 25, 2013 at 10:38 am |
    • jim

Wow, ok one more. listen guys take it easy. I did not say I believe in these so called "churches" and yes I know the people that attend are being robbed but so did the Jesus they claim to follow. he even did something about it in his day.

April 25, 2013 at 10:41 am |
    • mk

"God will help them..."

And what do you make of a person who prays fervently and is not helped by your god? Does that mean they weren't asking right, not kneeling properly, etc.? Let me guess: "it was god's will".

April 25, 2013 at 10:42 am |
    • Saraswati

AAL,

"Nobody is trying to forced it down your throat Ironman, it's that paranoia that atheists are having that makes them crying all the time."

You are very mistaken there. Every time the churches call on the bible to deny people the right to marry they are trying to force their religion down people's throats. Every time they put prayer in schools, presenting it to people's kids as the norm, every time they manipulate health policies, every time "payer breakfast" is held which is really a government meeting...time after time people still try to shove their religion down others throats.

April 25, 2013 at 10:43 am |
    • hal 9001

I'm sorry, "AtheistsAreLosers", but "ironman59"'s assertions are, in fact, true. Theists are, in fact, trying to force their beliefs down people's throats.

April 25, 2013 at 10:46 am |
    • brian

Jim, sorry, I didn't mean to insinuate that you were using hateful words. That was a writing failure on my part. I think your discourse has been just fine. Lots of other folks were pretty nasty in responding to me however, and I don't see how that nastiness advances their argument.

April 25, 2013 at 10:48 am |
    • jim

sara, you are the only one keeping me here and not even a comment to me but do you ever wonder why these "church leaders" keep getting away with it. you may enjoy knowing they will not be doing so much longer but you also do not have to believe that but why do I believe that? j

April 25, 2013 at 10:53 am |
    • jim

OK I really have to go but I will look back later and it has been a real joy (to brian and sara) thanks, j

April 25, 2013 at 10:56 am |
    • Saraswati

@jim, I hope you believe it because of the cultural shifts or perhaps because you had a vision or believe some messages in a religious text ... and not because you're planning to do something.

April 25, 2013 at 10:58 am |
    • jim

sara, I am so sorry you got that impression but it makes my lunch a lot more fun. if you come back let me clarify what I came to believe about the religions of the world. I believe Jesus was talking about them when he prophesied that they as "Babylon the Great" in the book of Revelation in the Bible chapters 17 and 18 and too many others to site complete the "Harlot" that will be brought to nothing (destroyed) for their immoral and shameless luxury. it is a fitting description all of the religions that misrepresent a Righteous Creator and have a short time to mislead this world before He steps in and ends this system. See also James 4:4; Matt.7:21-23; 2 Cor.4:4; 11:14,15 and Acts 17:30 to help you see what I am talking about. and I am not alone.

April 25, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
    • Saraswati

@jim, just checking...glad to hear you're waiting to see things transpire. I guess only time will tell.

April 25, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
    • jim

Sara, thanks for response and hope you would look into it but I doubt you will. thanks again for a spirited interchange and I will look for your comments in the future but be assured I will not stalk you, just like your responses, thanks, again, j

April 25, 2013 at 1:03 pm |
  9. WHY ATHIEST

It baffles me to see non believers (ATHIEST) on an article of religion. I mean if you dont care for christianity or any other religion then why are you here? Oh I see you have interests in our Lord and Saviro ok ok I understand now good for you, you all are finally coming around.. 🙂

April 25, 2013 at 10:16 am |
    • ME II

About this blog
      The CNN Belief Blog covers the faith angles of the day's biggest stories, from breaking news to politics to entertainment, fostering a global conversation about the role of religion and belief in readers' lives.

The beliefs of others impact even non-believers lives through the laws that they promote, e.g. bans on gay marriage, creationism in science class, reduced stem-cell research, abstinence only se.x ed., etc., etc.

April 25, 2013 at 10:20 am |
    • ReligionIsBS

This must be your first time on the internet, as this question has been answered a billion times. In case you havent noticed, religion makes people do stupid things, like blow up buildings, and people at races, and ride around on horses and converting people by the sword, as your people did in the crusades. And you also may have notived that some people want to shove teir mythology in our laws.

April 25, 2013 at 10:21 am |
    • Science

April 25, 2013 at 10:23 am |
    • Richard Cranium

I'm certain that there are many things that baffle you.

April 25, 2013 at 10:24 am |
    • Saraswati

If you were to read an article about a groups advertising campaign to promote reinsti.tuting slavery, ritualized child abuse or lowering restrictions on toxic dumping in school zones are you saying you wouldn't comment because you aren't interested in engaging in any of those things?

April 25, 2013 at 10:28 am |
    • All Thinking Men Are Atheists

we only care to the extent that your asinine beliefs have consequences for the rest of society, and they aren't positive. the boston bombers had beliefs too, and the consequences were shameful, just as xian theology is, to the mind of millions of children who are inculcated by this drivel.

April 25, 2013 at 10:36 am |
    • ironman59

Wrong again but nothing unusual there. As has already been posted we fight for FREEDOM FROM RELIGION. You continue to push your religious doctrine into the secular world. You hide behind religion when it is convenient so that you don't have to follow secular law (i.e. not subject to workplace regulations because your hospital is staffed with religious people). You also have no problem using secular for tax purposes as a "non-profit" so that you don't pay taxes on what is clearly income. So, we continue to fight to keep you out of our secular government. When you do that the world will suddenly become much quieter for you.

April 25, 2013 at 10:40 am |
    • Pete

Maybe it just amazes some people that there are others out there who believe in things that actually have evidence to support them?

April 25, 2013 at 11:10 am |
  10. ME II

I'm sure I'm out of touch, but is "hipster" even hip any more?

April 25, 2013 at 10:15 am |
    • Rynomite

Yeah I'm with you....

“"What is a hipster anyway? Someone who stands against the (mainstream) culture."

That's not my mental image of a hipster. In my view, a hipster is someone who buys every possible Apple product (even if they don't need it), and sits in a Starbucks drinking coffee while dressed in skinny jeans and a black shirt.

So basically someone who is overt parody of mainstream ...

April 25, 2013 at 10:21 am |
    • rad666

They could have used "pachuco."

April 25, 2013 at 10:22 am |
    • Pete

The ads are coming from the Catholic church. They're so behind the times that guys wearing dresses are still "hip".

April 25, 2013 at 11:13 am |
  11. AtheistsAreLosers

My observations about atheists will proved itself to be right, i ask people to do the same, to just watch this comment board as an example. People will see post after post of atheists people insulting others and names calling.

April 25, 2013 at 10:10 am |
    • ME II

@AtheistsAreLosers,
      As opposed to you?

April 25, 2013 at 10:12 am |
    • George

I'm not an athiest, but you should try using proper grammar/spelling before preaching to others about who is right or wrong. Otherwise people might think you are just a dumb troll.

April 25, 2013 at 10:13 am |
    • Mother Teresa

"My observations about atheists will proved itself to be right"

Fail. (..hands get whacked with a ruler..)

April 25, 2013 at 10:14 am |
    • William Demuth

You are a third worler aren't you?

A regular crazy broad with a new fake name.

You lose credibility under one and create a new one, but your madness shines thru like a beacon!

You are extremely ill. Just as crazy as the Muslims who blow folks up.

I hope they have you on a watch list, because your downward spiral is so OBVIOUS that once you are on CNN no one will be able to claim they didn't see your collapse coming

April 25, 2013 at 10:14 am |
    • Rynomite

You mean name calling like calling someone a loser or oh maybe having a handle that calls a specific group of people losers?

Huh. Interesting.

April 25, 2013 at 10:16 am |
    • rad666

"post of atheists people"

I have been waiting for posts from atheists salamanders

April 25, 2013 at 10:16 am |
    • Science

And it is really bad years later.................. that this crap is still trying to be pushed in schools !

Dover Trial Transcripts............................................. FACTS.

April 25, 2013 at 10:17 am |
    • AtheistsAreLosers

Keep on babbling your big mouths atheists, you will prove that i was right about you. Just keep those big mouths of yours rolling please.

April 25, 2013 at 10:18 am |
    • Sharon

I'm pretty sure that you just insulted atheists and called them names. Please look up the meaning of "hypocrite."

April 25, 2013 at 10:19 am |
    • Richard Cranium

and lying saying all atheists are losers isn't name calling?

April 25, 2013 at 10:20 am |
    • AtheistsAreLosers

April 25, 2013 at 10:24 am |
    • Mother Teresa

"worst"? Whack!

April 25, 2013 at 10:26 am |
    • Science

And laws of association makes it part of the devil's cults too ...........does it not ........AtheistsAreLosers ?

April 25, 2013 at 10:28 am |
    • Richard Cranium

more lies from the hypocrit...why are you using a different name today?

April 25, 2013 at 10:28 am |
    • AtheistsAreLosers

Speaking about Devil's Cult or call it Satan's Cult if you prefer, isn't that what atheists is all about, a Cult?

April 25, 2013 at 10:30 am |
    • AtheistsAreLosers

If what i'm saying is a lie Robert, then why are you posting? lol

April 25, 2013 at 10:32 am |
    • Mother Teresa

@AAL: Atheists don't believe in Satan; that's your bag.

April 25, 2013 at 10:33 am |
    • mk

"If you atheists have noticed i'm the only believer here against a whole bunch of you, so that makes you the majority and also means that atheists are worst than believers lol."

This statement makes about as much sense as a person who uses 'AtheistsAreLosers' to tell atheists how horrible they are for name calling.

April 25, 2013 at 10:34 am |
    • mk

April 25, 2013 at 10:34 am |
    • laststonecarver

@AAL – break it down
      AtheistsAreLosers –
      – losers, in the contest of mind controlling sheeple

My observations about atheists –
      – some atheists people insult and call other atheists names

will proved itself to be right –
      – itself shall prove its existance in the past, right?

i ask people to do the same –
      – people will you please prove (yesterday), that you existed

to just watch this comment board as an exampl –
      – which is how you can prove your existance

People will see post after post –
      -which is why it is called a blog

of atheists people insulting others –
      – atheists, please discontinue insulting other atheists

and names calling.-
      – one name calling is enough, two is two much

April 25, 2013 at 10:39 am |
    • Paul

Using Losers logic I guess he is an atheist because he keeps insulting people.

April 25, 2013 at 2:04 pm |
  12. STFU

why it has to be always 'the original" and not "converted" or "copycat" ?

April 25, 2013 at 10:10 am |
  13. coderjones

if religion is on both sides of a holy – does that mean god just wants you dead?

April 25, 2013 at 10:09 am |
  14. rad666

All the different religions and all the different gods, do the gods live in different "heavens?"

Do they ever party together and laugh at humans?

April 25, 2013 at 10:07 am |
    • Saraswati

They play chess, and we are the pieces.

April 25, 2013 at 10:18 am |
    • Pete

They call themselves the Super Best Friends. 🙂

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSwG6MfiSqw&w=640&h=360]

April 25, 2013 at 10:24 am |
  15. Amanda Tinkleon

Does the Brooklyn diocese think Hipster Jesus (or as we call him – HJ) would have cared if women use contraception? Do they think HJ would care if two adults of the same gender get married? Would HJ have cared if a woman was a priest, or if priests were allowed to get married and have a family? No....HJ would have shrugged these things off, as what is important to him is caring for the sick, the poor and the hungry - the remaining Catholic dogma just gets in the way of doing what should be done. Seems like the diocese has forgotten about what's most important – the message and teachings of HJ.

April 25, 2013 at 10:02 am |
    • Paul

He might have but he would not have exhorted his followers to judge them, as the church does openly.

April 25, 2013 at 10:06 am |
    • William Demuth

HJ would be openly gay, and his momma wound NOT be a virgin!

April 25, 2013 at 10:06 am |
    • Saraswati

It's a little bit sad how they really are so out of touch as to think a campaign like this will outweigh all the other silly things the church is teaching. When Muslims are out their recruiting with an argument that their religion has a healthier atti.tude to se.x than the Catholic church you'd think someone might notice that there's a problem in the church that simply isn't going to turn around. The way I estimate it, we'll have a rift fairly soon in the Catholic church which will then merge with the Anglicans to form a single new church. It'll never be what the Catholic Church would have been if it had been able to get its act together.

April 25, 2013 at 10:12 am |
    • retarded christian

Did jeebus play the guitar and sing folk songs?

April 25, 2013 at 10:31 am |
  16. Caveman

Jesus wasn't even white, and here we have worshipped a "white-bearded man" for centuries... now how ironic is that?

You might as well of worshipped Bob Segar instead, going with that false deal.

April 25, 2013 at 10:02 am |
  17. atheist flaw

I woke up in this house one day. I have no idea how I got here or where I was before. but I am absolutely convinced that the house spontaneously created itself out of nothing, and that there is nothing outside the house. and I have to fill every message board with postings equally as stupid and annoying as those written by people who believe the house was built by someone.

April 25, 2013 at 9:58 am |
    • AtheistsAreLosers

You forgot to mention that we came from a microbe from the sea and became a fish that came out of the water and went out on the beach and then two arms and two legs grew up and the fish started to walk standing up and became an ape and then a human.

April 25, 2013 at 10:04 am |
    • William Demuth

Kid

It's obvious you STILL haven't woken up in any way shape or form.

You have been brainwashed! You are a kindred soul to the Boston Bombers, with a poorly informed and badly educated personality trying to make sense of a world beyond your comprehension.

You fill in the blanks of your intellect with nonesense rather than confront your obvious short comings.

April 25, 2013 at 10:05 am |
    • ReligionIsBS

I get it, you're trying to make the idea of a god just popping into existence look as stupid as it sounds. Good job!

April 25, 2013 at 10:06 am |
    • Mother Teresa

The believer's flaw is that you are uncomfortable with having to answer "I don't know" to questions about the unknown. This discomfort allows mythology and dishonesty to win you over.

April 25, 2013 at 10:07 am |
    • God

I woke up in this house one day. I have no idea how I got here or where I was before. but I am absolutely convinced that the house spontaneously created itself out of nothing, and that there is nothing outside the house. Then I stood up figured out I had magical powers, and I waved my hands and "poof" another house appeared. I waved my hands again and now I had followers living in this house...

April 25, 2013 at 10:08 am |
    • retarded christian

I was brainwashed to believe in a talking snake, a devil man with pointy horns, a red suit and a pitchfork, a magic sky daddy who threatens me with a non-existent place called hell if I don't behave, all in a book of mythology written by man to control man.

April 25, 2013 at 10:11 am |
    • Larry

atheist flaw
      If you grew up and lived in the same house, never leaving and never seeing another house being built, wouldn't you be justified in believing that the house was always there? It's the Bible, and not science, that says that the universe was created "out of nothing." We've never created a universe and never seen one being created this way. Is it any wonder then that some of us are skeptical that such a thing could happen?

Now, consider this. If you grew up alone on a deserted island, without ever seeing another of your kind, might you not grow to assume that you were a unique being that had no parents? Might you not also assume that what you knew was everything that could be known? Could you even come to consider yourself a "God"?

April 25, 2013 at 10:19 am |
    • Imagine No Religion

@AF & AAL
      Since you two are such all-knowing god people, I've got a question that no god-believing person has ever been able to rationally and logically answer.

Why does the "something can't come from nothing" argument apply only for the universe, but not for god? This one question clearly illustrates the fallacy on which all religions are based.

Answer: If the universe must have a creator, then god must have a creator. And god's creator must have a creator. Ad infinitum.

Sorry, but you can't have it both ways. Face it, god didn't create man, man created god.

-–
      "There ain't no jesus gonna come from the sky.
      Now that I found out, I know I can cry." – John Lennon

April 25, 2013 at 10:47 am |
    • Imagine No Religion

Well AF & AAL, all I hear are crickets! Did y'all have strokes trying to think outside the box of delusion?

-–
      "There ain't no jesus gonna come from the sky.
      Now that I found out, I know I can cry." – John Lennon

April 25, 2013 at 1:08 pm |
  18. AtheistsAreLosers

After years of observations i have noticed that atheists people pretends to be scientists and that an atheists world would be wonderful. Well from my observations all i can say is most of them are sitting at their computer for a period that goes from many hours and sometimes over 24 hours straight on a comments board and will hang there as long as they got someone to fight with. They proved to be arrogant and have compassion for others. They are cruel and name calling are the first thing they will come up with.
    No scientists would be acting like that, none of them are so called scientists. At least not the ones that are hanging on the internet comment board and living of their parents. When there is an articles about a massacre or something bad that happened to people they never give any kind of moral supports, thy don't offer any compassion for the ones in needs. The first thing they come up with is attacking people and religion even if the subject is not about it. They're also very paranoid about religion. They don't share their views about any others subjects other than always and constantly attacking religions. After years of observation of atheists i would say no to an atheists world, they don't offer a better world than the one we already live in. In fact an atheists world would be even worst. Those observations are facts and proof, atheists can try to deny this as long as they love to, but atheists have proven this to be true many times over.

April 25, 2013 at 9:55 am |
    • AtheistsAreLosers

Correction, they have no compassion for others.

April 25, 2013 at 9:56 am |
    • William Demuth

Your powers of observation are failing you.

Let's conduct a test.

Look in the mirror>>>>>> Can you see the idiot?

April 25, 2013 at 9:56 am |
    • Mother Teresa

"i have noticed that atheists people pretends to be "

Fail. (..whacks hands with ruler..)

April 25, 2013 at 9:57 am |
    • AtheistsAreLosers

You can cry night and day but you wont change the fact that this is true. Why are you replying if this isn't true?

April 25, 2013 at 9:57 am |
    • William Demuth

Because I have killed all the flies I had, so I am plucking your wings off instead!

It's called Tough Love. We will force the truth on you, as you have tried to force your lies on us.

We ain't playing anymore, we are holding you accountable.

April 25, 2013 at 10:02 am |
    • fintastic

Are you retarded or what? your handle IS AN ATTACK.... yet you accuse others of attacking. Typical christian hypocrisy.

April 25, 2013 at 10:04 am |
    • lol??

Mob power leaves a lot to be desired. Plankton in the center feel safe.

April 25, 2013 at 10:07 am |
    • Mother Teresa

"Mob power leaves a lot to be desired."

Sometimes it only takes some natural disaster destroying some cities to cause a couple of daughters to desire their father.

April 25, 2013 at 10:18 am |
  19. Imagine No Religion

There's nothing original about jesus. Ancient myths and super sti tions have been around since the evolution of human imagination..

-–
    "There ain't no jesus gonna come from the sky.
    Now that I found out, I know I can cry." – John Lennon

April 25, 2013 at 9:53 am |
    • ImagineNoJohnLemmon

Yea, and War Is Over... John Lemmon, truly the sour one of that bunch...

April 25, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
  20. brian

Wow, such Christian/Jesus bashing going on here! Does it make you somehow feel somehow superior to belittle people's faith? I read these comments and laugh to myself because you are talking the "christians are stupid" line I advocated not so long ago. I thought Christians were the silliest people on the planet. Then something happened...yes, it was a God thing. It got my attention and made me realize that this Jesus stuff wasn't some 2000 year old fairy tale. Watch out it may happen to you too...and there is absolutely no denying God when He moves! And here's some news...Christians aren't perfect...far from it. We are all sinners saved by undeserved grace.

April 25, 2013 at 9:49 am |
    • William Demuth

Brian

You are no mare saved thanyour imaginary Satan is.

You are ill, believing in delusions.

Your supposed savior is a fabrication designed to exploit your illness.

It is a mental heroin, and will leave you withered and washed up.

Keep on believing all you want, but reality is you will live a little longer, you will die, you will rot and you will be forgotten, and no Bronze Age fairy tales will ever change that.

I suggest you deal with it.

April 25, 2013 at 9:55 am |
    • sam stone

"Wow, such Christian/Jesus bashing going on here! Does it make you somehow feel somehow superior to belittle people's faith?"

If Christians kept it to themselves and did not try to codify their beliefs into our secular law, you would not see anywhere near this much criticism. Given that Christians can't do so (as in the "great commission"), you will just have to get used to people not beleiving and criticizing your view. Put on your big boy pants and deal with it

April 25, 2013 at 9:58 am |
    • fintastic

@brian.............. If you have actual evidence that god is real, lets hear it!

April 25, 2013 at 9:59 am |
    • Pete

brian
      No more than the usual "bashing" that Christians levy upon nonbelievers, people of other faiths, and even other Christians who disagree with them.

April 25, 2013 at 10:00 am |
    • Really?

Brian agreed. WIlliam, get over yourself. I laugh at non-believers who try to convince me I'm just not "smart enough" to see God is a lie. My IQ and education beg to differ. People refuse to believe in a higher power because they are scared little boys (and girls) who fear what they do not understand (that's the "get over yourself" part.) William – dedicate 10-20 years researching world history and religion, every religion, not just Chritianity, and then you can give me your opinion. At least then it will be an educated opinion and not an ignorant rant.

April 25, 2013 at 10:03 am |
    • William Demuth

Really?

I have two decades on you son.

Read every version of your rags since the 60's and it is OBVIOUSLY a lie.

You are just a coward who fears the truth. You are nothing, with no future. You fear death becasue you believe you are special and can't imagine a world without you.

Well, I can imagine a world without you, and I am quite looking forward to it!

April 25, 2013 at 10:09 am |
    • AtheistsAreLosers

The problem is no one wants an atheists world William.

April 25, 2013 at 10:28 am |
    • ironman59

More power to you but your conversion still does not give you a legal right to push those fairytales into my secular life or my secular government. Understand that simple premise and you won't hear a word from atheists.

April 25, 2013 at 10:29 am |
    • William Demuth

AtheistsAreLosers

Well you have one, so deal with it.

You are a dinosaur, soon to be extinct

Other Gods may rise from the foolishness of man, but old Jeebus is toast.

April 25, 2013 at 10:36 am |
    • AtheistsAreLosers

It's funny how atheists are always using words like secular, fallacy and other words that sound like these. I swear if i were to listen to an atheists talking he would sound like Daffy Duck.

April 25, 2013 at 10:48 am |
    • fintastic

@AAL....... thanks for pointing out your ignorance.

April 25, 2013 at 11:10 am |