home
RSS
Pope Francis: Worker exploitation "goes against God"
May 1st, 2013

Pope Francis: Worker exploitation "goes against God"

By Jethro Mullen and Farid Ahmed, CNN

Savar, Bangladesh (CNN) - Pope Francis, speaking at a Mass on Wednesday, made reference to the Bangladesh building collapse that killed upwards of 400 people in a sharp condemnation of worker exploitation and "slave labor."

"Not paying a just (wage), not providing work, focusing exclusively on the balance books, on financial statements, only looking at making personal profit. That goes against God!" Pope Francis said.

He continued: "When society is organized in such a way that not everyone has the opportunity to work, to be anointed with the dignity of work, then there is something wrong with that society: it is not right! It goes against God himself, who wanted our dignity, starting from here."

FULL STORY
- Dan Merica

Filed under: Asia • Pope • Pope Francis • Work

1. Tom, Tom, the Other One

Russ: TTTOO: it's hard to help the poor by mocking them. i didn't take you for a cultural elitist.

In response to: "The machine of religion is oiled with the blood of the workers, poor saps, who believe."

I'm sure the reference isn't lost on you, Russ. The Pope agrees that the workers of the world are often exploited, but fails to see or comment on their exploitation by the religions of the world. The areas where religion flourishes are those where the people have the fewest resources to spare for it.

May 2, 2013 at 8:07 am |
    • Apple's advice

I always resented that those with a fat lot of cash (like the Vatican and others) don't share a bit of it with us little guys. Passing some of that wealth around and giving to the poor would really help.

May 2, 2013 at 8:18 am |

Africa..?

May 2, 2013 at 8:23 am |
    • Apple's advice

Sure why not I'm sure they could use it, India too. You know wherever there's a need.

May 2, 2013 at 8:47 am |
  2. faith

just one thing i can't understand. y do anvil head, little fat sambo, al queada, jehozaphat, dodo, oberverant, rationale, reasons, no religion, satan, u svck and murdie sound like each other? o, and tom moron and tom this one and that.

who knew?

May 2, 2013 at 7:23 am |
    • My Dog is a jealous Dog

I have no problem with your delusion that these are all the same people, and I have no problem with you mocking them, but I do have a problem with your "little fat sambo" reference. Are you unaware that this is typically a racially insensitive moniker? Or are you just an out an out racist?

May 2, 2013 at 10:00 am |
    • sam stone

faith is just a diseased little gash

May 2, 2013 at 10:11 am |
    • sam stone

"just one thing i can't understand. "

don't be so modest. i am sure there are many things you do not understand.

May 2, 2013 at 10:12 am |
  3. Rupert

So does protecting pedophiles! Not only does the vatican protect them, they allow the sick fvcks to continue doing it by shuffling them around. Disgusting!

May 2, 2013 at 6:11 am |
  4. Apple Bush

Family style num num.destruction and death.God loves us.

May 2, 2013 at 4:48 am |
  5. Douglas

Bravo Pope Francis!

You continue to demonstrate that the church must return to its roots and liberate the people from the tyranny
    of mammon worship. Man cannot serve God and mammon.
    Good work Pope Francis...I like your style.

Yours in Christ,
    Douglas

May 2, 2013 at 2:08 am |
    • sam stone

Digging the closet queen, Doogie? Somehow that is no surprise

May 2, 2013 at 3:15 am |
    • MrCrewel Dude

STFU

May 2, 2013 at 3:37 am |
    • Apple Bush

Wow, I have never seen such complete dweebs. If I could find two or three retards and would ask them to teach you dorks to writea bleeding blog entry. What a bunch of dorks.

May 2, 2013 at 4:21 am |

Doogie and chad too

Holy Hallucinations 35

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XTCRdC8Dlo&w=640&h=360]

May 2, 2013 at 5:46 am |
    • Apple Bush

There are actually 36 Holy Hallucinations you slimy big roach rat diner.

May 2, 2013 at 6:00 am |
    • Science

Chomp Chomp...............in spanish...........education for adults too..........for Chad too ! Thanks AB

(EA) FÓSILES, FOSILIZACIÓN Y PALEONTOLOGÍA.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw1cRg9oKTc&w=640&h=360]

May 2, 2013 at 6:21 am |
    • Science

Some backfill for you topher and doogie.................better than the nasty bible.........so read this and share OK ?

Read this too !

Prehistoric Ghosts Revealing New Details: Synchrotron Helps Identify Previously Unseen Anatomy Preserved in Fossils

Learning is fun with facts !

May 2, 2013 at 6:46 am |
    • Science

Made it easdy for you Doogie...............do you have any ?

Hey James Madison................religion has none it looks like.............with the comments on this blog.

The Big question is ETHICS ! does religion have any ?

The Ethics of Resurrecting Extinct Species

Apr. 8, 2013 — At some point, scientists may be able to bring back extinct animals, and perhaps early humans, raising questions of ethics and environmental disruption.

April 30, 2013 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |

May 2, 2013 at 7:17 am |
    • Science

Doogie is a tool !.............makes it esay thanks doogie for your help..........a real fruitcake from xmas past !

May 2, 2013 at 7:47 am |
  6. Apple Bush

My wife committed adultery multiple times with the same ex-boyfriend. We have been married 20 years. My children have been given a Fairytale childhood. My youngest is a world class singer and she is 12 years old. My oldest is 16 and she is an excellent artist, I have been an excellent, loving and caring father. I love my children more than life itself. If I list all of the places and I have visited with them and taught them and embraced with them, it would easily fill 2+ 8×10 pages. That is the absolute truth. They have seen and learned about the entire country and Canada. They are everything to me.

I used to drink. I don't anymore. I was never a mean drunk or anything. I was a creative, happy, quiet drunk. It runs in the family. I am a writer.

My wife blames her infidelity on that. Bullshit. She drank too and hid in her room, pissed in the street, fell asleep in the street, passed out, etc. She couldn’t’ hold her liquor The truth is her ex- boyfriend is an idiot from Oxnard like she is. She never understood me but she thought she could learn from me. In truth, reality T.V. is the extent of her intellect.

Now I fear I must leave my family. How is it that my wife and her lover ruined our marriage but somehow it is MY fault? U gave raised these kids. My kids take her side. I am depressed. I don't know what to do. How can I nuture my children (my wife is too stupid to) and also get the hell away from all this. I spoke to the goon that committed adulty with my wife. Here is what I said. (the poor sap can't even spell. He was educated in Oxnard, nuff said.
    “You and her both destroyed what would have been a wonderful long-lasting marriage well into retirement with two extremely talented well-adjusted and very happy children. Good job. You ruined one of the truly good things in life. I guess there is no accounting for intelligence.”

Is there any one that can offer me some advice? I am devastated.

May 2, 2013 at 1:46 am |
    • Mark From Middle River

...and you are posting for counseling help and advice on a Religious blog? Maybe a more Doctor Phil blog might be better for you.

May 2, 2013 at 1:52 am |
    • Apple Bush

My post is far more interesting than the crap you all write. I do what I damned well please. These belief blogs are a a pile of crap and should be replaced by my far more interesting and realistic discussion. The Belief Blog is nonsense.

May 2, 2013 at 4:14 am |
    • lol??

Sometimes the cultural revolution is just cultural suicide. The equality of no fault divorce just moved the "battle" of fighting over things to fighting over the children. Ever noticed it's always a "custody battle" with the mindless mediums? It sells. The line between a married woman and a prosti*tute has become very blurred in the downward push of the great society. Women demand respect when they could get all they could handle by respecting the husband like God ordered. It's kind of a reaping what you sow thang for the poor little abused but no laws about using, fer sure. Take heart when nice guys finish last.

Mat 20:16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.

May 2, 2013 at 6:43 am |
    • Science

And if it is not lol?? pounding sh-it again ?

May 2, 2013 at 7:37 am |
    • Advice you requested

Don't take your wife's behavior personally. Ignore that guy who thinks he knows how your life ought to be. Loose the drink and get back to writing. Also travel somewhere, just yourself someplace you always wanted to visit. Life is tough and things happen all we can do is press boldly forward. Peace.

May 2, 2013 at 8:14 am |
    • Bill Deacon

I've been where you are Apple. What I can tell you is that while pain is unavoidable, suffering is temporary. Sobriety is your friend since alcohol is a depressant. Find yourself in a meeting of caring people who can support and help you with your burdens for a while. AA, a divorce support group, church, men's advocacy, Al-Anon; doesn't matter, you will know when you are in a safe place. Avoid a new relationship like the plague, for now. You can weather this and come out the other side. I know you are not religious but I pray for you and for everyone who suffers from the degradation of divorce and addiction.

May 2, 2013 at 9:21 am |
    • Robert

@Advice you requested

You forgot one thing there are children involved so are you suggesting to just forget about them? Apple Bush is going to have to fight for custody of the children because it sounds like his ex would not take care of the children properly with her drinking issue.

Apple Bush if you want the children then you need to start writing down everything this woman has done and continues to do to show she is an unfit mother. Focus on your children and your writing it should help get you through and if you take the children try to keep the house so they at least will have a stable place to cope with the breakup of their family.

May 2, 2013 at 9:22 am |
    • trollintraining

Can't offer good advice without hearing the other side of the story.
      Your kids are siding with your wife? And you think it is all her fault? Right.

This is where religion is usefull. God or no god, your faith can make you feel better.

May 2, 2013 at 11:07 am |
  7. Bootyfunk

Seems odd the Pope would not approve of worker exploitation since the bible very clearly supports slavery. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. so if you live in America, does that mean you can only own Mexican and Canadian slaves? What if you are an island nation like England or Tuvalu? Who can they own? The next island over or do you actually have to have a land border with the country in order to take their people as slaves? The bible isn't clear on that... Is there a Christian that can help?

May 1, 2013 at 11:14 pm |
    • Mark From Middle River

Deuteronomy 23:15-16

15 Thou shalt not deliver unto his master the servant which is escaped from his master unto thee:

16 He shall dwell with thee, even among you, in that place which he shall choose in one of thy gates, where it liketh him best: thou shalt not oppress him.

May 2, 2013 at 1:42 am |
    • Topher

@Mark From Middle River

Deuteronomy 23:15-16

Old covenant

May 2, 2013 at 7:26 am |
    • Science

Topher who gives a rats ass but you kknow !

May 2, 2013 at 7:34 am |
    • JMEF

Topher
      Do you agree that Noah's family immediately became slaves when they go off of the ark? Your belief that there was only 8 people denies the history of the world at that time. Do you still maintain only 8 humans existed around 2500 BC?

May 2, 2013 at 7:38 am |
    • Science

Hey topher............your worldview is part of the devil's cult is it not ?

But you knew that !

May 2, 2013 at 7:39 am |
    • Science

Thanks for the help topher !................you know............. just like doogie !

May 2, 2013 at 7:50 am |
    • Topher

@JMEF

Old covenant

@Science
      Topher who gives a rats ass but you kknow !
      Care to rephrase that in English please?

May 2, 2013 at 8:20 am |

Cheech & Chong Read the Bible

Cheech & Chong Read the Bible from CheechAndChong

Have fun topher.

can provide more.

May 2, 2013 at 8:28 am |

Topher............thanks again !

May 2, 2013 at 8:34 am |
    • Science

History Channel's "The Bible" Parts 3 & 4 – In Under 11 Minutes!

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTRn28iZD_g&w=640&h=360]

May 2, 2013 at 8:38 am |
    • JMEF

Topher
      To believe as you do disregards the history of the world. From 2500 to 2000 BC......
      Egypt was a thriving civilization and in this time period many of the major pyramids were built by 8 people?
      China was well populated and the first, Xia, dynasty was forming.
      The Indus Valley Civilization in the America's was forming cities around agriculture lands.
      Mesopotamia was well developed and led to the Epic of Gilgamesh, one of the first complex written histories/myths.
      Rome began to increase its land, wealth and power leading to the Roman Empire.
      Many more, you have to deny all of this to stick with your Noah belief, how can you?

May 2, 2013 at 8:42 am |

topher

BY the way gravity wins ...................Splat goes a fairy in the sky !..............BYE BYE tinker bell !

Einstein's Gravity Theory Passes Toughest Test Yet

Apr. 25, 2013 — A strange stellar pair nearly 7,000 light-years from Earth has provided physicists with a unique cosmic laboratory for studying the nature of gravity. The extremely strong gravity of a massive neutron star in orbit with a companion white dwarf star puts competing theories of gravity to a test more stringent than any available before

May 2, 2013 at 9:10 am |
  8. tallulah13

Actually, worker exploitation is immoral. No need for a god to know that.

May 1, 2013 at 11:11 pm |
  9. Lol just Lol

"Pope: Worker exploitaion goes against God"
    Uh.............
    Why then does the Catholic church make idols out of all the "holy Fathers" who flat out enslaved people everywhere they went? Like in the California Missions? The Caribbean? Africa? Really, every single place they went!
    Robbing, whipping, murdering, rap.ing.
    It's just what Saints do!

May 1, 2013 at 10:41 pm |
    • Reverend Tim Lovejoy

That's Catholics, you might as well ask me to do a voodoo dance.

May 1, 2013 at 10:46 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

yep, christianity - spreading misery since adopted as the state religion of the roman empire...

May 1, 2013 at 11:03 pm |
  10. Reverend Tim Lovejoy

Once something has been approved by the Government, it’s no longer immoral.

May 1, 2013 at 10:17 pm |

only in a theocracy.

May 1, 2013 at 10:28 pm |
    • Reverend Tim Lovejoy

I'd like you to remember Matthew 7:26. "The foolish man who built his house upon the sand."

May 1, 2013 at 10:32 pm |

i'd like you to remember (Deuteronomy, chapter 22):

13If any man take a wife, and go in unto her, and hate her,
      14And give occasions of speech against her, and bring up an evil name upon her, and say, I took this woman, and when I came to her, I found her not a maid:
      15Then shall the father of the damsel, and her mother, take and bring forth the tokens of the damsel’s virginity unto the elders of the city in the gate. . .
      20But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel:
      21 Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father’s house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the w.hore in her father’s house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.

May 1, 2013 at 10:56 pm |
    • Reverend Tim Lovejoy

Matthew 21:17: And he left them and went out of the city, into Bethany, and he lodged there.

May 1, 2013 at 10:58 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

Kill people who work on Sunday:

Exodus 31:15 – "Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord: whosoever doeth any work in the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death."

Exodus 35:2 – "Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a Sabbath of rest to the Lord; whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death."

May 1, 2013 at 11:00 pm |
    • Reverend Tim Lovejoy

And he was cast into the fiery cauldron of Hell! The searing heat, the scalding rivers of molten sulfur.

May 1, 2013 at 11:07 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

Remember to ostracize children without fathers:

Deuteronomy 23:2 – "A b.astard shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the Lord."

May 1, 2013 at 11:17 pm |
  11. Equalearth

Why didn't his 'god' say this before it happened....it's the catholic church enforced global overpopulation and population growth that fuels the availability of ever more cheap workers that will work for peanuts as for every available job there are thousands that will take it because they need the money however little. After 60 years of unprecedented growth that has depleted global resources including food, water and energy, destroyed the natural habitat and biodiversity, wastelaid the planet with toxic and radioactive contamination and left virtually all countries with vast piles of debt that future generations must pay for and has put millions into unemployment..... does it really make sense to do it all over again? equalearth@twitter

May 1, 2013 at 9:50 pm |
  12. Kikiriki

Yesterday I bought a new Mercedes-Benz S-class when I got my check for $9253 this month and a little over, 10 grand this past month. Without a doubt it is the nicest job I've ever had. I started this 8 months ago and straight away started to make minimum $75, per-hour. I follow this website Rich4.COM__

May 1, 2013 at 9:43 pm |
  13. Chick-a-dee

@ ME II: Since you are introducing yourself as a scholar, please explain the place of Leviticus within the Pentateuch, explain its historical signifiancance within the geo-political experience of the peoples described in the text, to which peoples were & are these laws binding, and enlighten us as to which laws are still in effect.

May 1, 2013 at 9:24 pm |
    • ..

Wow, in all the time I have been reading BB, I have never seen ME II introduce himself as a scholar. Where was that? Who are you? I've never seen you here before. What qualifications do you have that gives you the right of condescension?

May 1, 2013 at 11:58 pm |
    • Science

Hey Chic..............better than the bible.............facts below.

Read this too !

Learning is fun with facts !

May 2, 2013 at 6:44 am |
    • Honey Hush

-dee
      Why are you christards always demanding others do things that you are incapable of doing yourself? Put up or STFU.

May 2, 2013 at 6:59 am |
    • ME II

@Chick-a-dee,

I am not in any way a Bible scholar and I don't know where you got that idea. I simply posted a quote from the Bible.
      As to the theological, historical, and geo-political significance of those verses... I don't know. However, regardless of all that "signficance", the ethical significance of that quote is that it seems to clearly condone the concept of slavery, and not just indebted servitude but lifelong permanent inheritable (the offspring get included) slavery..

Now, you can try to mitigate that with who was qualified, when, where, what rules applied, but the results seems to be that slavery was condoned.

May 2, 2013 at 10:08 am |
    • ME II

Correction:
      "... inheritable (the offspring get included) slavery."
      should be:
      "... inheritable (they can be inherited as property) slavery."

May 2, 2013 at 10:40 am |
  14. Bootyfunk

i agree with the pope that worker exploitation is wrong wrong wrong. however, the pope needs to get his own house in order before he starts pointing fingers. deal with the rampant child molestation in the catholic church first, then condemn others.

May 1, 2013 at 9:22 pm |
  15. Evolution of labor

Centuries ago there was no organized labor,labor was organized as master/servant/slave relationship.
    As organizations emerged, along with modernization techniques labor evolved to a more sophisticated form as it exists today and what we see as employer/employee relationship emerged.
    The bible presents the economic situation as it existed during those earlier years when organized labor did not exist. Christians condemn slavery because slavery is against the basic principles. Kudos to Christians like William Wilberforce/abolishnists and millions of others in the 21st century fighting to abolish slavery.

May 1, 2013 at 9:01 pm |
    • Tamsyn

Basic priciples of what?

May 1, 2013 at 9:12 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

the bible supports slavery throughout. jesus himself says slaves must obey their masters if they want any chance to get into heaven. there are rules in the bible for selling your own daughter into slavery, how badly you can beat your slaves, etc. yes, slavery was the norm in the day - which tells you the bible is not divine, just a book written by men 2K years ago when owning another human was okay. if the bible was divinely inspired, it would certainly have con.demned slavery. there is no greater evil. slavery means degradation, r.ape and murder. yet the bible supports it.

isn't that enough proof that there is no such thing as god? he didn't put "Thou shalt not own another human being" in his commandments? more important not to covet your neighbor's wife? if there is a god, he is FAIL.

May 1, 2013 at 9:18 pm |
    • Evolution of labor

Basic principles?

May 1, 2013 at 9:21 pm |
    • Evolution of labor

Bootyfunk

Not one Christian that has read the Bible would say slavery is okay according to the Bible.

May 1, 2013 at 9:25 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

wrong. it was one of the biggest justifications for slavery in the South for slavery. but you're right, most christians would say that - and they'd be lying. the bible very clearly supports slavery - just because christians don't like it doesn't mean it's not true. the bible tells you what to pay for slaves and how to beat them. perhaps you haven't read the bible, or you skipped over those parts.

May 1, 2013 at 9:35 pm |
    • Evolution of labor

As a non Christian you are free to remain ignorant . Christians do not view slavery positively and are fighting to abolish it. Many Christian abolishionists fought to end slavery.

May 1, 2013 at 9:44 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

and of course you keep ignoring the point. christians don't support slavery today. i agree. and it's because they DON'T follow the bible closely. the bible fully supports slavery - modern christians don't. from the time the bible was written to years after the civil war, the bible was used to justify slavery. only in the last 100 years has it NOT been used to justify slavery. i'm glad modern christians don't follow the bible closely, it's a terrible guide for good ethics. the point is, the bible supports slavery, even if you do not.

May 1, 2013 at 9:55 pm |
    • Tamsyn

"Christians condemn slavery because slavery is against the basic principles."

I'll ask again, and do not reply with a quote from the article, because I'm quoting YOU, basic priciples of what?

What Francis said also goes against the basic principles of humanity.

May 1, 2013 at 11:53 pm |

Bootyfunk.......nailded it.............good ethics...........

The Big question is ETHICS ! does religion have any ?

The Ethics of Resurrecting Extinct Species

April 30, 2013 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |

May 2, 2013 at 5:32 am |

Oops ............nailed.

May 2, 2013 at 5:35 am |
  16. STFU

" Worker exploitation "goes against God"

sounds like a cry of an union leader.

May 1, 2013 at 8:48 pm |
  17. Sam Yaza

the bible only talks about paying Jews just wages, this can and is reflects to Muslims paying Muslims just wages and Christians paying Christians, it actually says to enslave non Jews/Christians/Muslims.

May 1, 2013 at 8:19 pm |
  18. the AnViL™

it's funny as heck that no one can provide any biblical text condemning slavery.

neither the old or new testaments contain a single scripture denouncing the practice.

it's comical to see a pope making statements that run contrary to the tenets of xianity.

May 1, 2013 at 8:02 pm |
  19. Age of Reason

...Jesus Christ was a mythical, political construct invented by the Romans! He never existed!

May 1, 2013 at 7:56 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Careful with that so-called eduction. The four Hidden Dynasties (called the four horns in gospel) that will precede and usher in satan as the antichrist. Educational (includes the media), Economic, Religious and Political.

May 1, 2013 at 8:03 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

there is no good evidence Jesus ever existed. his stories have been told before, in other faiths/mythologies.

May 1, 2013 at 9:19 pm |
    • Chad

Virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed,[5][6][7][8] and biblical scholars and cla ssical historians regard theories of his non-existence as effectively refuted.[9][10][11] Scholars generally agree that Jesus was a Galilean Jew who was born BC 7–2 and died AD 30–36.[12][13] Most scholars hold that Jesus lived in Galilee and Judea[14][15][16] and that he spoke Aramaic and may have also spoken Hebrew and Greek.[17][18][19][20][21] Although scholars differ on the reconstruction of the specific episodes of the life of Jesus, the two events whose historicity is subject to "almost universal as sent" are that he was baptized by John the Baptist and was crucified by the order of the Roman Prefect Pontius Pilate.

- Sources:
      [5] Jesus and His Contemporaries: Comparative Studies by Craig A. Evans 2001 ISBN 0391041185 pages 2-5
      [6] Christopher M. Tuckett In The Cambridge Companion to Jesus edited by Markus N. A. Bockmuehl 2001 ISBN 0521796784 pages 122-126
      [7] Amy-Jill Levine in the The Historical Jesus in Context edited by Amy-Jill Levine et al. 2006 Princeton Univ Press ISBN 978-0-691-00992-6 pages 1-2
      [8] Jesus: Apocalyptic Prophet of the New Millennium by Bart D. Ehrman (Sep 23, 1999) ISBN 0195124731 Oxford Univ Press pages ix-xi
      [9] In a 2011 review of the state of modern scholarship, Bart Ehrman (who is a secular agnostic) wrote: "He certainly existed, as virtually every competent scholar of antiquity, Christian or non-Christian, agrees" B. Ehrman, 2011 Forged : writing in the name of God ISBN 978-0-06-207863-6. page 285
      ^ Robert M. Price (an atheist who denies existence) agrees that this perspective runs against the views of the majority of scholars: Robert M. Price "Jesus at the Vanishing Point" in The Historical Jesus: Five Views edited by James K. Beilby & Paul Rhodes Eddy, 2009 InterVarsity, ISBN 028106329X page 61
      [10] Michael Grant (a cla ssicist) states that "In recent years, 'no serious scholar has ventured to postulate the non historicity of Jesus' or at any rate very few, and they have not succeeded in disposing of the much stronger, indeed very abundant, evidence to the contrary." in Jesus: An Historian's Review of the Gospels by Micjhael Grant 2004 ISBN 1898799881 page 200
      [11] Richard A. Burridge states: "There are those who argue that Jesus is a figment of the Church’s imagination, that there never was a Jesus at all. I have to say that I do not know any respectable critical scholar who says that any more." in Jesus Now and Then by Richard A. Burridge and Graham Gould (Apr 1, 2004) ISBN 0802809774 page 34
      [12] Robert E. Van Voorst Jesus Outside the New Testament: An Introduction to the Ancient Evidence Eerdmans Publishing, 2000. ISBN 0-8028-4368-9 page 16 states: "biblical scholars and cla ssical historians regard theories of non-existence of Jesus as effectively refuted"
      [13] James D. G. Dunn "Paul's understanding of the death of Jesus" in Sacrifice and Redemption edited by S. W. Sykes (Dec 3, 2007) Cambridge University Press ISBN 052104460X pages 35-36 states that the theories of non-existence of Jesus are "a thoroughly dead thesis"
      [14] The Gospels and Jesus by Graham Stanton, 1989 ISBN 0192132415 Oxford University Press, page 145 states : "Today nearly all historians, whether Christians or not, accept that Jesus existed".
      [15] Paul L. Maier "The Date of the Nativity and Chronology of Jesus" in Chronos, kairos, Christos: nativity and chronological studies by Jerry Vardaman, Edwin M. Yamauchi 1989 ISBN 0-931464-50-1 pages 113-129
      [16] The Cradle, the Cross, and the Crown: An Introduction to the New Testament by Andreas J. Köstenberger, L. Scott Kellum 2009 ISBN 978-0-8054-4365-3 page 114
      ^ Joel B. Green, Scot McKnight, I. Howard Marshall, Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels (InterVarsity Press, 1992), page 442
      [17] The Historical Jesus in Recent Research edited by James D. G. Dunn and Scot McKnight 2006 ISBN 1-57506-100-7 page 303
      [18] Who Is Jesus? by John Dominic Crossan, Richard G. Watts 1999 ISBN 0664258425 pages 28-29
      [19] James Barr, Which language did Jesus speak, Bulletin of the John Rylands University Library of Manchester, 1970; 53(1) pages 9-29 [1]
      [20] Handbook to exegesis of the New Testament by Stanley E. Porter 1997 ISBN 90-04-09921-2 pages 110-112
      [21] Discovering the language of Jesus by Douglas Hamp 2005 ISBN 1-59751-017-3 page 3-4
      ^ Jesus in history and myth by R. Joseph Hoffmann 1986 ISBN 0-87975-332-3 page 98

May 1, 2013 at 9:40 pm |
    • Austin

I have eerienced a supernatural revelation of Gods written word. I dreamed about a scripture passage the night before I read it , not knowing a thing about what I was reading , the book of Jeremiah. This was a supernatural work of the Holy Spirit.

May 1, 2013 at 9:48 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

A person named Jesus may have existed, there is no evidence that he was the son of a god, that he performed miracles,or that he was resurrected so his existence does nothing to bolster the claims of the christian religion.

May 1, 2013 at 9:56 pm |
    • Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

But be sure to read this page **completely**. Interesting things to consider regarding evidence for the historical existence of Jesus Christ:

May 1, 2013 at 9:59 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

yes, biblical 'scholars' often say jesus existed. where is the proof? the evidence? outside the bible? josephus? lol, the guy who also wrote about hercules? (also the son of a lightning wielding sky-god) please show your evidence for the existence of jesus.

isn't it curious that most the fairy tales concerning jesus were told before in previous religions/mythologies? virgin birth, died and came back 3 days later, son of a god, etc. the list goes on. most of the bible is plagiarized from other culture's myths. check mitra, osirus, dyonysus and more. all similar stories to jesus.

May 1, 2013 at 10:02 pm |

thnx, Reverend Mother.

here's the first line from that website:
      "Evidence for the historical existence of Jesus of Nazareth (the Christ) as portrayed in the Bible is only found in three places: the Bible itself, other early Christian writings, and references by the various early churches (c. 100CE) to the long dead leader of those churches. There are no contemporaneous sources outside of the early Christian community. "

my opinion: a guy named jesus may or may not have ever existed, just like any other divine myth. if jesus did exist, he was not the son of god, just a cult leader like david koresh or any other. he was either a liar or crazy, because he definitely wasn't the son of god and didn't walk on water, turn water into wine, etc. which just means he wanted people to worship him like any cult leader. did jesus ever exist? maybe, maybe not. not enough good evidence to tell. but if he did, just a human, nothing special.

May 1, 2013 at 10:06 pm |
    • Chad

Mythicist: a person who believes Jesus never existed.
      Bart Ehrman is an agnostic who campaigns against Christianity. He is a strident critic of Christianity.

===Interview with Bart Ehrman===

Question: As you explain in your book, many mythicists continue to try to debunk the very existence of Jesus Christ. What's the motivation of those who try to turn Jesus into an imaginary figure?

Bart Ehrman: It's been a bit of a mystery. I don't have a solid answer, but I have a hunch. It's based on the fact that everybody who’s a mythicist is a very strong agnostic or, more typically, a hard-core atheist.
      And virtually [all mythicists are] diehard opponent[s] of organized religion. They think it's done so much harm in the world, not just crusades and inquisitions, but by supporting slavery and racism and sexism and so forth.
      These people, who are quite strongly opposed to religion, live in a culture where the dominant religion is Christianity. These people think that by showing Christianity is founded on a myth, they can show that it's in fact a fairy tale not worthy of belief.

Question: How influential are these people?
      Bart Ehrman:They are not influential among scholars of antiquity, historians of the ancient world, classicists, and biblical scholars. There, they've made virtually no impact.
      Where they have made an impact is in popular circles, especially with the advent of the Internet. There is an increasing following of these people on the Internet, and a number of them have written books that have sold a lot of copies.

May 1, 2013 at 10:14 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

you keep ignoring the request for proof. i can quote writers who don't believe jesus existed.

where is your evidence for the existence of jesus? stop avoiding the question.

May 1, 2013 at 10:16 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Chad, As usual you have no evidence. You discount Joseph Smith because there is no evidence to support his claims yet believe the Jesus as Christ with no more evidence. Did you read the page linked above?

May 1, 2013 at 10:21 pm |
    • Chad

@Bootyfunk "i can quote writers who don't believe jesus existed."
      @Chad "actually, there are only 1 or 2 serious scholars in the world that make that claim.. see above

@Booty "where is your evidence for the existence of jesus? stop avoiding the question"
      @Chad "see above
      if that is unacceptable, what would you consider acceptable?

beware that final question, for some reason atheists find it paralyzing...

May 1, 2013 at 10:22 pm |
    • Reverend Tim Lovejoy

May 1, 2013 at 10:23 pm |
    • Chad

rational wiki agrees that Jesus was a real historical figure.

actually it is a very interesting task to compare the evidence for what is written on the plates vs the evidence for Jesus. That's why I know you wont investigate it 🙂

May 1, 2013 at 10:25 pm |

@chad
      AGAIN you ignore the request for evidence. where is your proof? it's a simple request for something you are so sure about. where is your evidence that jesus existed?

May 1, 2013 at 10:26 pm |
    • Reverend Tim Lovejoy

God has never given up on anyone.

May 1, 2013 at 10:27 pm |
    • Chad

@Booty "where is your evidence for the existence of jesus?
      @Chad "see above posts, you somehow missed them..

if that is unacceptable, what would you consider acceptable?

you were wise to avoid that last question.. it has a very strange power over atheists..

May 1, 2013 at 10:28 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

so your 'evidence' is that other writers said jesus existed...? do you have any real evidence? what evidence are your writers citing? pls show hard proof, no conjecture by mostly christian writers.

May 1, 2013 at 10:58 pm |
    • Chad

you continue to show great wisdom in avoiding the atheist kryptonite question

if that is unacceptable, what would you consider acceptable?

May 1, 2013 at 11:08 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

chad, if what is acceptable? please try to make sense and i'll be happy to answer your inane question.

and you didn't answer my question.

May 1, 2013 at 11:19 pm |
    • Chad

Please be careful, this is the atheist kryptonite question:

if the evidence listed above in the post at May 1, 2013 at 9:40 pm is unacceptable, what would you consider acceptable?

DISCLAIMER: you proceed at your own risk, I take no responsibility for your continuing with your current worldview should you attempt to answer that question.

May 1, 2013 at 11:24 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

so your question seems to be this:

is that right?

May 1, 2013 at 11:52 pm |

Chadie's link..........Evil !

May 2, 2013 at 5:24 am |
    • Science

Hey Chad.............your worldview is part of the devil's cult is it not ?

May 2, 2013 at 5:40 am |
    • lol??

Not to get involved in the silly debate, I will look at one of cutsie bootsie's statements,
      "it's becoming painfully obvious you have zero evidence to offer for the existence of your 'messiah'. lol."
      Obvious implies truth, so what does painfully obvious imply? You laugh at truth, the painful type? Jesus sweated blood facing the Truth of His journey. Now is that funny?? How long have you been possessed with this sense of humour? It looks sadistic. Scientific inquiry wants to know.

May 2, 2013 at 7:37 am |
    • Chad

@Bootyfunk "so your question seems to be this: if the books you listed by writers that believe jesus existed (but offer no hard evidence) isn't acceptable as proof, what would be acceptable?
      is that right?"

@Chad "correct, if that is not acceptable, what would be?

I think your strategy of continually asking for clarification and hoping I dont post again is very intelligent 🙂

May 2, 2013 at 10:45 am |
  20. Common Sense

Who the heck is going to do the work if the slaves don't? duh!

On another note, all of you people who have committed adultery / cheated on your spouse....you are sluts and whores and deserve to die. And you have completely fucked up you kids. You are totally asassholes and should be a slave who dies.

May 1, 2013 at 7:35 pm |
    • Akira

Somebody's sounds as if he's in pain. I'm sorry.
      However, what if it's the man who breaks up the family because he can't keep his dick in his pants? What happens then, Common Sense? A hearty pat on the back, a wink-wink-nudge-nudge and a "boys will be boys" attitudes?
      I guess it's only adultery if the woman cheats.
      And hate the adulterer, mmmmkay? Not all women. We did nothing to you, CS.

May 1, 2013 at 7:53 pm |