home
RSS
May 2nd, 2013

Ex-NFL player's support for gay NBA player apparently costs him church appearance

By Dan Merica, CNN
[twitter-follow screen_name='DanMericaCNN']

Washington (CNN) – LeRoy Butler, a former safety for the Green Bay Packers, is one of many professional athletes to tweet support for Jason Collins, the NBA player who came out as gay this week.

“Congrats to Jason Collins,” Butler tweeted April 29, the day Collins came out in a Sports Illustrated cover story.

But Butler says the four-word tweet cost him a speaking appearance at a Wisconsin church.

He was scheduled to speak at the church (whose name he has not revealed) about bullying and his new book, "The LeRoy Butler Story: From Wheelchair to the Lambeau Leap." That was until the church, according to Butler, told him he was no longer welcome because of his tweet in support of Collins.

"The pastor called me and that's when we got into the old, the whole religion thing about gay people and things of that nature and the conversation just went back and forth for us a couple of minutes," Butler told Anderson Cooper on Thursday.

After the exchange with the pastor, Butler took to twitter to express his frustration.

Butler later tweeted that “some parents went to the church and complained about my tweet” supporting Collins. The church, according to Butler, said that if the football player apologized, he would be allowed to speak.

"They basically said this, if you apologize, ask God for forgiveness and remove the tweet, you'll be able to do this speaking engagement with the kids," he said. "I won't do that. That's taking my dignity and respect away."

He continued: "I told the pastor, blame it on my mom because my mom brought me up to love everybody."

Butler recently tweeted that the church apologized for the incident and thanked him “for not releasing the church name.”

Butler played 11 years, from 1990 to 2001, with the Packers and helped them win a Super Bowl in 1997. He was a four-time All-Pro selection, the highest honor for a year of work in the NFL, and is credited with inventing the Lambeau Leap, the iconic touchdown celebration in which a Packer leaps into the Lambeau Field stands to celebrate with fans.

As for Butler's stance on gay athletes in professional sports, he said they have "support from straight guys like me that won't judge them."

"If we win a Super Bowl ring, I don't care who you bring to the ring ceremony, I just want to win the ring," Butler said. "That's what it's all about. ... Isn't that what it's all about? Winning the championship? Not who is in my bed when I turn the lights out."

Since retiring, Butler has been active in the Green Bay community, and his Facebook page chronicles appearances and speeches he has given to churches in the area.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Belief • Same-sex marriage

soundoff (3,002 Responses)
  1. RICO

Bad to be gay according to church, but it is ok for them to proctect predetors who are molesting kids ..

May 3, 2013 at 10:50 am |
    • Elliott Carlin

He was scheduled to speak at a Catholic Church? Get your facts straight before painting w/that wonderful broad brush.

May 3, 2013 at 10:55 am |
  2. GTA

$8500 to hear an ex-football player talk about bullying?

Did this church not have any better uses for the money?

May 3, 2013 at 10:45 am |
    • lol??

Keynesian economics is an ugly thang.

May 3, 2013 at 10:56 am |
    • Max

Come on, you know that they would have easily doubled that money taking up collections after the talk.

May 3, 2013 at 11:06 am |
    • jim

best question yet.j

May 3, 2013 at 11:14 am |
    • Bill Deacon

Funny thing about freedom, people can use their own money for things they want

May 3, 2013 at 12:09 pm |
  3. Honey Badger Don't Care!

I wasnt able to see everyone's replies yesterday so I'm going to post this again. Especially for Topher and his ilk.

If the flood occurred in 2348BCE (Answers in Genesis) and the Exodus happened in 1444BCE (AIG) and the Israelites were in captivity for 400 years (AIG) isn’t there a problem?
    That means that in 504 years eight people went from being the only people on Earth to a population big enough to not only rule Egypt but to enslave themselves.

May 3, 2013 at 10:39 am |
    • lol??

Honey Packer, you don't care. Now ride that horse side saddle.

May 3, 2013 at 10:45 am |
    • jim

honey; after listing 70 offspring of the "sons of Noah" the Genesis account says:"From these the nations were spread about in the earth" so from the flood @2370 BCE to the time of Abraham entry into canaan 1943 BCE to Jacob going to Egypt 215 yrs. @1728 BCE to Exodus @1513 BCE. Israelites could have multiplied sufficiently in just 215 yrs in Egypt. to have the 600,000 "able bodied men" Ex. 12:37 and that is just the Jews. so I see no problem. more stats on request. j

May 3, 2013 at 11:12 am |
    • My Dog is a jealous Dog

Seeing as how all 600,000 were descendants of the same 8 people, I'm surprised they had enough brain cells to get dressed in the morning, let alone build the pyramids. Think Deliverance and dueling banjos.

May 3, 2013 at 11:22 am |
    • jim

dog; actually the Jews descended from 2 people, Abraham and Sarah or more technically Jacob and Rachel but why get technical? the 8 people filled the earth with all the intelligent individuals we see today. j

May 3, 2013 at 11:30 am |
    • Honey Badger Don't Care!

Jim,

No they didn't. There is not enough genetic material to provide the neccesary genetic drift that we see in all of the populations of the Earth today. It is very easy to track genetic drift and to date when these changes happened. You are wrong.

Dog,

Dont even bring up the pyramids, dont you know that they were built before the flood? Even though there is NO sign of water erosion at the base of the pryamids.

May 3, 2013 at 11:54 am |
    • Madtown

actually the Jews descended from 2 people
      ----
      Which human sub-species were they? H0m0-erectus, h0m0-neanderthal, or some other?

May 3, 2013 at 12:04 pm |
    • jim

honey, so sorry but I am not wrong. the stats are not even mine but are very conservative and very probable. also far too much to site here but will share later if you like and you may want to check where you are getting your info. but really I have to go and I will check back later I love a sincere discussion and hope you do also, thanks, j

May 3, 2013 at 12:07 pm |
    • Honey Badger Don't Care!

Jim,

It's "cite" and you had better be using reliable sources, NOT xtian apologetic sites.

May 3, 2013 at 12:52 pm |
    • jim

honey, just came back to see my mistake. cite,site? I will have to be more careful of my sight of the keyboard. also I did not know spelling was going to be so critiqued here but will have to watch myself since this will be my exit from this forum. being a christian not xtian I guess I better look for someone else to discuss this subject with. I see you are not the open minded person I assumed you were but when I am told I "better" do something it is time to look for my equal not my mommie. thanks but no thanks, j

May 3, 2013 at 4:52 pm |
  4. Miles

I don't quite understand the people who are shocked at the speaking fee. Standard practice in a wide variety of forums. And 8500.00? Peanuts. I'd bet hard money that Tebow gets 5 times that amount. (don't bet, I already looked it up, and I was too low). If you compare the two guys and their stories, I think I'd go with the 8500.00.

May 3, 2013 at 10:38 am |
    • lol??

Paul is much more valuable.

""much" AND "more"
      occurs in 54 verses in the KJV, including 40 exact phrases shown first."

May 3, 2013 at 10:43 am |
  5. kathy

Another example of religion rearing it's ugly bigoted nasty head. You can be banned from stating your opinion for support of someone who is different? That's pretty pathetic and it's no church I'd want to have anything to do with.

May 3, 2013 at 10:38 am |
  6. DR

The use of "Packer" in the article is wrong and the intern-writer should know this. Its always "Packers" like, 'an ex-Packers player" or "in which a Packers player leaps into..."

May 3, 2013 at 10:28 am |
    • lol??

Are you packin'?

May 3, 2013 at 10:34 am |
    • lol??

Betcha Packers' management are gonna have some new retirement rules concerning free speech now that the inevitable cheese jokes develop into a B Movement.

May 3, 2013 at 10:37 am |
  7. Tim

As a Christian and a spouse of a minister myself, I want this church to tell me this: What part of Christ's commandment to love one another was conditional? Where did Jesus add, "unless they are gay" to it? It's not in any Bible I've seen. And shy do they have to obsess on this ONE form of sin when there are so many others and when everyone commits sin? They need to recall the words of James 2:10; their sins are no better than the sins of others. This obsession with this one specific sin and using it for persecution and exclusion is very much NOT what Jesus would do.

May 3, 2013 at 10:26 am |
    • Bill the Cat

What part of "go and sin no more" are YOU not getting. Jesus NEVER accepted someone's sin. We can love people while condemning sin at the same time. But, as the spouse of a minister, you should know that part of the Bible too, right?

May 3, 2013 at 10:43 am |
    • Honey Badger Don't Care!

According to your book you are supposed to murder ho.mo.se.xuals. So you are supposed to love them as you kiII them?

May 3, 2013 at 10:46 am |
    • Madtown

We can love people while condemning sin
      -----
      The part that YOU do not get, is that existing in your natural state as you were designed, is not a sin. Or, are you really bold enough to be critiquing the work of God?

May 3, 2013 at 10:50 am |
    • Bill the Cat

Honey badger is stupid.

May 3, 2013 at 10:52 am |
    • Max

Bill the Cat
      Ever eat bacon?

May 3, 2013 at 11:15 am |
  8. .

when supporting and encouraging a dirty and disgusting sin it should be a no brainer that a church wouldn't give you voice. no hate just common sense.

May 3, 2013 at 10:24 am |
    • midwest rail

So you'll be leading the legislative charge to make divorce and adultery illegal, right ?

May 3, 2013 at 10:27 am |
    • Tim

It's no worse than any other sin; see James 2:10 - anyone who upholds all the law but fails to uphold one part of it has broken all of it. And since you sin too (as we all do), you are no better before God than they are. And then there's the part in Matthew 7 about getting the log out of your own eye before obsessing about the speck in another's eye...

May 3, 2013 at 10:32 am |
    • LinCA

@.

You said, "no hate just common sense."
      Basing your world view on a fairy tale is entirely void of common sense. By solely focusing on very specific parts of that fairy tale and ignoring others, there can be little doubt about what is at the root of the condemnation of gays. It isn't love.

May 3, 2013 at 10:33 am |
    • .

i wouldn't want an unrepentant adulterer or any other unrepentant sinner addressing the church any more than an in your face qu-eer supporter.

May 3, 2013 at 10:43 am |
    • GTA

And you probably consider yourself a good Christian because you have been indoctrinated by self-appointed 'church leaders' who consider only themselves worthy enough to define the term. Bigotry dressed up as religious principle is still bigotry.

May 3, 2013 at 10:43 am |
    • midwest rail

Nice deflection from the question.

May 3, 2013 at 10:44 am |
    • .

May 3, 2013 at 10:45 am |
    • .

truth isn't bigotry or hate guess what being qu-eer is wrong it is a sin just as deadly as any other sin and more so since the qu-eers unleashed aids on the world.

May 3, 2013 at 10:46 am |
    • midwest rail

Another deflection from the question.

May 3, 2013 at 10:47 am |
    • .

sorry ass hole political action is another topic entirely should have guessed you would be obscuring the statement an old qu-eer trick.

May 3, 2013 at 10:54 am |
    • midwest rail

Justify your deflection any way you wish, cap'n. Still cowardly deflection.

May 3, 2013 at 10:56 am |
    • .

you're the one in left field ass hat.

May 3, 2013 at 10:58 am |
    • midwest rail

Wrong again, snake breath.

May 3, 2013 at 10:59 am |
    • LinCA

@.

You said, "hey linca you've been around here spouting off for some time and all you've ever accomplished is to prove you're full of sh it."
      Do you have any rational basis for your religion? Do you have anything to support that your imaginary friend exists? What makes your god any different from the Tooth Fairy or the Easter Bunny? Without any evidence to support the existence of your god, only dimwits and the willfully ignorant will believe it exists.

Before you claim that I'm full of shit, you may want to take a look at the infantile beliefs that you still cling to.

May 3, 2013 at 11:01 am |
    • Dave

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." – Jesus

Yeah, what'd that bum know, anyway?

May 3, 2013 at 11:07 am |
  9. Max

The Bible is full of weird laws that most Christians simply ignore.

May 3, 2013 at 10:24 am |
    • RICO

The Bible is full of crap, just like the church

May 3, 2013 at 10:48 am |
  10. lol??

Out da church? Remember the Alamo and Waco!

WWJRD?
    Janet Reno

May 3, 2013 at 10:23 am |
    • midwest rail

Another day, more conspiratorial idiocy from the lol?? compound.

May 3, 2013 at 10:25 am |
    • lol??

Stalker rail.

May 3, 2013 at 10:29 am |
    • midwest rail

You really do need to look up definitions. Not my problem you don't like being called on your nonsense.

May 3, 2013 at 10:30 am |
    • My Dog is a jealous Dog

lol??

I am imagining you walking down the street laughing to yourself (and you don't know why).
      Most of the time, I have no idea what you are talking about or what could possibly be going through your head.
      You picked the perfect handle – you crazy fvck.

May 3, 2013 at 10:46 am |
    • lol??

MDIAJD, Elvis gives me sum funny ones sumtimes.

May 3, 2013 at 11:04 am |
    • My Dog is a jealous Dog

Exactly my point – What the F are you saying? If you want to communicate with other human beings, use real words.

May 3, 2013 at 11:17 am |
    • lol??

Word theft is now acceptable, dog. Like GAY.

May 3, 2013 at 11:37 am |
  11. Canopy

So given the church's stance I guess the media is their God. Since they were "thankful" he didn't release their name. As true servants of God why should they care if the church name is stated. Based on scripture if you "show great courage, he will strengthen your heart". Seems like Leroy's is the only one thats being strengthened!

May 3, 2013 at 10:21 am |
  12. Peter

Why won't he reveal the church? I don't believe him.

May 3, 2013 at 10:19 am |
    • Madtown

He has class and is taking the high road.

May 3, 2013 at 10:47 am |
  13. eileen

As a Packer fan, I always liked LeRoy. This is just further proof that he is a good guy and I like him even more. I have great respect for the fact that he didn't name the church or the pastor – to prevent any negative effects on them. He is living his message against bullying.

May 3, 2013 at 10:10 am |
  14. Jodie

Mr. Butler, your mom raised you right. Give her a hug from me.

May 3, 2013 at 9:59 am |
    • Bill the Cat

Does he "love" the Westboro Baptist bunch, or does his mama's advice stop there?

May 3, 2013 at 10:49 am |
  15. TheWordpressGhost

Reblogged this on thewordpressghost and commented:
    Why does CNN expect a Church to pay $8,000 for someone to speak at a church who does not believe what the church believes?

Isn't it bad enough that our formerly Christian Universities are allowed to pay Professors to teach propaganda instead of historical truth?

And they say they do not persecute you for believing in Jesus?

Ghost.

May 3, 2013 at 9:57 am |
    • Max

Explain what you mean by "teach propaganda instead of historical truth"? Do you even know how historians work?

May 3, 2013 at 10:13 am |
    • ken in MO

CNN wasnt taking a position. They were simply stating the facts. Fact, the church didnt like what he said so they told him not to come. Fact, he did not release the name of the church. The church clearly believes that the majority of the world see's them as bigots...that is why they apologized to him. Don't make this about CNN...it is about the player and the church. I too am Christian but I would leave that church if they did that.

May 3, 2013 at 10:21 am |
    • Science

Ken MO..............more facts below too !

Peace

May 3, 2013 at 10:32 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

Poor, persecuted Christians just can't get a fair shake in America.
      White, Christian, land-owning males have always been denied their civil rights in the US and faced the ccondemnation of the overwhelming majority of non-christians who have held political office over the last 200 years.
      If only America could elect an openly Christian president!

May 3, 2013 at 10:52 am |
    • .

since America is none of your fuc-ken business your opinion amounts to horse sh it.

May 3, 2013 at 10:56 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

May 3, 2013 at 11:03 am |
    • LinCA

@Doc Vestibule

You said, "I see Cap'n Sayin' Atheism Isn't an Angry Pervert Newman Rangerfield has shortened their moniker to '.'"
      Angry little fucker, isn't he?

May 3, 2013 at 11:05 am |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

oh capn' ass when did they release you from the asylum? What part of international web site is not understood ??? When is America going to stay out of every other countries business?–that is when we'll mind our business.

May 3, 2013 at 11:20 am |
      • TheWordpressGhost

You are hilarious.

You must be writing that with a huge amount of satire, and you must be in agreement with what I write.

🙂

Thank you for the comment.

May 14, 2013 at 4:33 pm |
  16. William Demuth

This is fascinating.

Do individuals still have the right to disagree with the new "norm"?

There are MANY forms of expression (including intimate expression) that are still summarily rejected by many, that do NOT earn them a social stigma.

In the new world order, it seems one MUST change his position or be subjected to attack on EITHER side.

Somewhere in the zeal for "freedom", we seem we want to merely reverse roles, and have the former oppressors become the oppressed.

How about everyone live and let live. Who one is intimate with should be a PRIVATE matter in ALL cases.

May 3, 2013 at 9:56 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

As Prime Minister Trudeau said:
      "The state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation."

What people do with their naughty bits in private is nobody's concern but their own.
      It would be a much nicer world if privacy were still considered a social norm.

May 3, 2013 at 10:21 am |
    • .

why would the rest of the world care what some dead frog ever said

May 3, 2013 at 10:26 am |
    • Andi

Trudeau was Canadian, you idiot

May 3, 2013 at 10:48 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

I'm a Canadian.
      You'll note that it says "Prime Minister Trudeau".
      Given that the US doesn't have a Prime Minister, I would think it is pretty clear that I know he was Canadian.
      His nationality doesn't invalidate the truth of the statement.
      I'm sorry the US is decades behind other Western nations when it comes to equality.
      Perhaps if the more conservative portion of your populace were a little less insular, the world would have more respect for America (as opposed to fear).

May 3, 2013 at 10:55 am |
    • .

a frog canuk just as useless a third world flunky and at last check he's still dead and useless

May 3, 2013 at 10:57 am |
    • Tim

I guess your handle is supposed to represent your brain size, or is it some other body part?

May 3, 2013 at 11:12 am |
  17. Eddie

tallulah13

Aww . I'm hurt. Does this mean I'm not cool enough to send to re-eduction camp?

May 3, 2013 at 9:55 am |
  18. Rachel

Sounds like Mr. Butler just wanted his name back in the headlines. This church didn't publicly call him out for what he tweeted, they personally called him and stood up for what they believe in. It's hard to believe the hypocrisy here. Mr. Butler stood up for what he believes in and so did the church. So why does that make the church the bad guy?? Never once did I read that this church called and said they hated gays and they were going to burn in hell, they simply refused to have a man that clearly does not have the same standards as they do, represent them. Grow up, people.

May 3, 2013 at 9:47 am |
    • QDV

Hypocrisy? Think the church members are paying much attention to Leviticus 15 while they focus on parts of Leviticus 18?

May 3, 2013 at 9:53 am |
    • Madtown

If he wanted his name in the headlines, he likely would've "outed" the church by giving their name. He took the high road. They can hold whatever bigoted views they want, but it's very telling that they don't want their name made public, which it will eventually anyway. The church took the low road, the very low road.

May 3, 2013 at 9:56 am |
    • Stevo

You're splitting hairs, Rachel. Leroy Butler was the bigger man and stood up for HUMAN rights. The church and christians are free to worship and do what they believe they are supposed to do but their rights end as soon as they trample upon the rights of another.

May 3, 2013 at 10:01 am |
    • paul d

stevo,
      how did the church trample on the rights of others?? apparently you havent read the article or rachel's well thought out response.

May 3, 2013 at 10:07 am |
    • Max

I suppose you keep your mouth closed in church, like a good Christian woman is supposed to do, right Rachel?

Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. 1 Corinthians 14:34-35

May 3, 2013 at 10:21 am |
    • ME II

It seemed to me that this began with a post on twitter and Butler was just continuing in that medium. True, he didn't have to tweet about being dis-invited, but he didn't name the church and did raise a possible issue in other churches.

May 3, 2013 at 10:21 am |
    • Stevo

Paul,
      Church supporters are in arms over the backlash of this issue and they do indeed have a right to believe in the bible and to follow "God". Rachel was saying that the church didn't announce out loud that they hated gays or that they were going to burn in hell but it seems their actions towards Mr. Butler pretty much say something of that nature. Actions speak louder than words. They turned their back on a man who stood up for gay rights because they don't believe gays are on the same righteous level as them. They didn't have to say anything at all for anyone to get what they meant and how they feel towards gays.

May 3, 2013 at 10:34 am |
  19. Yabochuk

@I Am God

I believe in America. Freedom to believe in your faith. I'm not a narrow minded fascist like your ilk. Too bad so sorry for you.

May 3, 2013 at 9:45 am |
    • Science

Free speech helps educate the masses

Gravity is not up for debate !

BY the way ...................Splat goes a fairy in the sky !...............bye bye tinker bell !

Einstein's Gravity Theory Passes Toughest Test Yet

Apr. 25, 2013 — A strange stellar pair nearly 7,000 light-years from Earth has provided physicists with a unique cosmic laboratory for studying the nature of gravity. The extremely strong gravity of a massive neutron star in orbit with a companion white dwarf star puts competing theories of gravity to a test more stringent than any available before

Hey James Madison................religion has none it looks like.............with the comments on this blog.

The Big question is ETHICS ! does religion have any ?

The Ethics of Resurrecting Extinct Species

Apr. 8, 2013 — At some point, scientists may be able to bring back extinct animals, and perhaps early humans, raising questions of ethics and environmental disruption.

April 30, 2013 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |

May 1, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |

Dinosaur Egg Study Supports Evolutionary Link Between Birds and Dinosaurs: How Troodon Likely Hatched Its Young

And NO ANGELS the pope KICKED them OFF the TEAM last year !

From Soup to Cells—the Origin of Life

the wrong path is Adam and Eve !

Human Y Chromosome Much Older Than Previously Thought

Mar. 4, 2013 — The discovery and analysis of an extremely rare African American Y chromosome pushes back the time of the most recent common ancestor for the Y chromosome lineage tree to 338,000 years ago. This time predates the age of the oldest known anatomically modern human fossils.

No god(s) needed or required to graduate from public schools in the US

Remember : Adam had to POKE himself hard with his OWN BONE to create Eve.

No god(s) needed................... Old. DNA works..................also catches crooks !

Ancient DNA Reveals Europe's Dynamic Genetic History

Apr. 23, 2013 — Ancient DNA recovered from a series of skeletons in central Germany up to 7,500 years old has been used to reconstruct the first detailed genetic history of modern Europe.

Ca-nabis and Cannabinoids (PDQ®) – National Cancer Insti-tute

Mar 21, 2013 – [1,2] These plant-derived compounds may be referred to as phytocannabinoids. ... have a protective effect against the development of certain types of tumors. ... In lung cancer cell lines, CBD upregulated ICAM-1, leading to ...

Good stuff !

The fact...............the earth is to old for this nonsemse ! Time to EVOLVE !

Ancient Earth Crust Stored in Deep Mantle

Apr. 24, 2013 — Scientists have long believed that lava erupted from certain oceanic volcanoes contains materials from the early Earth's crust. But decisive evidence for this phenomenon has proven elusive. New research from a team including Carnegie's Erik Hauri demonstrates that oceanic volcanic rocks contain samples of recycled crust dating back to the Archean era 2.5 billion years ago. Their work is published in Nature.

May 3, 2013 at 9:52 am |
    • Sheena

May 3, 2013 at 10:02 am |
    • Science

Read it might learn someting ?

Chomp Chomp Chomp !

Peace

(EA) FÓSILES, FOSILIZACIÓN Y PALEONTOLOGÍA...................in spanish !

May 3, 2013 at 10:10 am |
    • ME II

@Sheena,
      "Nice 'science' a lot of copy paste but no rational thought or structure. Typical atheist."

Should we assume then that the typical Theist makes hasty generalizations and neglects to actually respond to the comment before attacking the poster?

May 3, 2013 at 10:13 am |
    • Science

By the way Sheena

NASA: Mars could have supported life

Star Dust we are ?

Peace

May 3, 2013 at 10:17 am |
    • Science

Sheena ..................maybe L4H with that copy and paste comment thanks for your help !

May 3, 2013 at 10:20 am |
  20. M

So the church would prefer not to be named? I guess they don't feel comfortable defending their position in public. I wonder why.

May 3, 2013 at 9:43 am |