home
RSS
May 2nd, 2013

Ex-NFL player's support for gay NBA player apparently costs him church appearance

By Dan Merica, CNN
[twitter-follow screen_name='DanMericaCNN']

Washington (CNN) – LeRoy Butler, a former safety for the Green Bay Packers, is one of many professional athletes to tweet support for Jason Collins, the NBA player who came out as gay this week.

“Congrats to Jason Collins,” Butler tweeted April 29, the day Collins came out in a Sports Illustrated cover story.

But Butler says the four-word tweet cost him a speaking appearance at a Wisconsin church.

He was scheduled to speak at the church (whose name he has not revealed) about bullying and his new book, "The LeRoy Butler Story: From Wheelchair to the Lambeau Leap." That was until the church, according to Butler, told him he was no longer welcome because of his tweet in support of Collins.

"The pastor called me and that's when we got into the old, the whole religion thing about gay people and things of that nature and the conversation just went back and forth for us a couple of minutes," Butler told Anderson Cooper on Thursday.

After the exchange with the pastor, Butler took to twitter to express his frustration.

Butler later tweeted that “some parents went to the church and complained about my tweet” supporting Collins. The church, according to Butler, said that if the football player apologized, he would be allowed to speak.

"They basically said this, if you apologize, ask God for forgiveness and remove the tweet, you'll be able to do this speaking engagement with the kids," he said. "I won't do that. That's taking my dignity and respect away."

He continued: "I told the pastor, blame it on my mom because my mom brought me up to love everybody."

Butler recently tweeted that the church apologized for the incident and thanked him “for not releasing the church name.”

Butler played 11 years, from 1990 to 2001, with the Packers and helped them win a Super Bowl in 1997. He was a four-time All-Pro selection, the highest honor for a year of work in the NFL, and is credited with inventing the Lambeau Leap, the iconic touchdown celebration in which a Packer leaps into the Lambeau Field stands to celebrate with fans.

As for Butler's stance on gay athletes in professional sports, he said they have "support from straight guys like me that won't judge them."

"If we win a Super Bowl ring, I don't care who you bring to the ring ceremony, I just want to win the ring," Butler said. "That's what it's all about. ... Isn't that what it's all about? Winning the championship? Not who is in my bed when I turn the lights out."

Since retiring, Butler has been active in the Green Bay community, and his Facebook page chronicles appearances and speeches he has given to churches in the area.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Belief • Same-sex marriage

soundoff (3,002 Responses)
  1. Native Oregonian

I am interested in knowing the name of the church and the denomination it supposedly represents. It's obviously not "christian", because its bigotry and intolerance shows through. There is no wonder why many people are pulling away from organized religion. Much of it is not at all christian or tolerant or loving. Does not represent Jesus in the least.

May 3, 2013 at 4:07 pm |
    • Ken

Judging from the fee they were going to pay him my guess is that it wasn't some little church, but a big mega one. The bigger these churches get the less compassionate towards the individual they become, it seems.

May 3, 2013 at 4:16 pm |
  2. john

$8500 for him to go to a church and promote his book so people will buy it?

May 3, 2013 at 3:59 pm |
    • Akira

That's hgis speaker's fee. You should check out ex-Politicians get.

May 3, 2013 at 4:02 pm |
    • sam

IDK, man, apparently churches have been willing to pay it.

May 3, 2013 at 4:04 pm |
    • Tim

The church had been willing to pay before this hit the fan. Doubtless, he would have filled the pews, and also doubtless there would have been a rich collection taken afterwards, if not tickets sold more than making up this upfront cost.

May 3, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
    • Tim

Sarah Palin made millions in 2010 alone giving speeches.

May 3, 2013 at 4:07 pm |
  3. Tom J

Be that as it may, taking up arguements publicly on Twitter is pretty *bleeping* lame, regardless of the issue. Grow up.

May 3, 2013 at 3:41 pm |
    • sam

You're honestly not seeing the irony of saying 'grow up' right after you typed something like *bleeping*?

May 3, 2013 at 3:43 pm |
    • Akira

Can you illustrate where he argued about anything? Merely relating about something isn't arguing.

May 3, 2013 at 3:57 pm |
    • Akira

*Merely relating something isn't an argument.

May 3, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
  4. Dyslexic doG

A few questions should help shed light on the relationship between religion and rational thought.

The completely absurd theory that all 7,000,000,000 human beings are simultaneously being supervised 24 hours a day, every day of their lives by an immortal, invisible being for the purposes of reward or punishment in the “afterlife” comes from the field of:
    (a) Astronomy;
    (b) Medicine;
    (c) Economics; or
    (d) Christianity

You are about 70% likely to believe the entire Universe began less than 10,000 years ago with only one man, one woman and a talking snake if you are a:
    (a) historian;
    (b) geologist;
    (c) NASA astronomer; or
    (d) Christian

I have convinced myself that gay $ex is a choice and not genetic, but then have no explanation as to why only gay people have ho.mo$exual urges. I am
    (a) A gifted psychologist
    (b) A well respected geneticist
    (c) A highly educated sociologist
    (d) A Christian with the remarkable ability to ignore inconvenient facts.

I honestly believe that, when I think silent thoughts like, “please god, help me pass my exam tomorrow,” some invisible being is reading my mind and will intervene and alter what would otherwise be the course of history in small ways to help me. I am
    (a) a delusional schizophrenic;
    (b) a naïve child, too young to know that that is silly
    (c) an ignorant farmer from Sudan who never had the benefit of even a fifth grade education; or
    (d) your average Christian

Millions and millions of Catholics believe that bread and wine turns into the actual flesh and blood of a dead Jew from 2,000 years ago because:
    (a) there are obvious visible changes in the condiments after the Catholic priest does his hocus pocus;
    (b) tests have confirmed a divine presence in the bread and wine;
    (c) now and then their god shows up and confirms this story; or
    (d) their religious convictions tell them to blindly accept this completely fvcking absurd nonsense.

I believe that an all powerful being, capable of creating the entire cosmos watches me have $ex to make sure I don't do anything "naughty". I am
    (a) A victim of child molestation
    (b) A r.ape victim trying to recover
    (c) A mental patient with paranoid delusions
    (d) A Christian

The only discipline known to often cause people to kill others they have never met and/or to commit suicide in its furtherance is:
    (a) Architecture;
    (b) Philosophy;
    (c) Archeology; or
    (d) Religion

What is it that most differentiates science and all other intellectual disciplines from religion:
    (a) Religion tells people not only what they should believe, but what they are morally obliged to believe on pain of divine retribution, whereas science, economics, medicine etc. has no “sacred cows” in terms of doctrine and go where the evidence leads them;
    (b) Religion can make a statement, such as “there is a composite god comprised of God the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit”, and be totally immune from experimentation and challenge, whereas science can only make factual assertions when supported by considerable evidence;
    (c) Science and the scientific method is universal and consistent all over the World whereas religion is regional and a person’s religious conviction, no matter how deeply held, is clearly nothing more than an accident of birth; or
    (d) All of the above.

If I am found wandering the streets flagellating myself, wading into a filth river, mutilating my child’s genitals or kneeling down in a church believing that a being is somehow reading my inner thoughts and prayers, I am likely driven by:
    (a) a deep psychiatric issue;
    (b) an irrational fear or phobia;
    (c) a severe mental degeneration caused by years of drug abuse; or
    (d) my religious belief.

Who am I? I don’t pay any taxes. I never have. Any money my organization earns is tax free and my own salary is also tax free, at the federal, state and local level. Despite contributing nothing to society, but still enjoying all its benefits, I feel I have the right to tell others what to do. I am
    (a) A sleazy Wall Street banker
    (b) A mafia boss
    (c) A drug pusher; or
    (d) A Catholic Priest, Protestant Minister or Jewish Rabbi.

What do the following authors all have in common – Jean Paul Sartre, Voltaire, Denis Diderot, Victor Hugo, Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Immanuel Kant, David Hume, René Descartes, Francis Bacon, John Milton, John Locke, and Blaise Pascal:
    (a) They are among the most gifted writers the World has known;
    (b) They concentrated on opposing dogma and opening the human mind and spirit to the wonders of free thought and intellectual freedom;
    (c) They were intimidated by the Catholic Church and put on the Church’s list of prohibited authors; or
    (d) All of the above.

The AIDS epidemic will kill tens of millions in poor African and South American countries before we defeat it. Condoms are an effective way to curtail its spread. As the Pope still has significant influence over the less educated masses in these parts of the World, he has exercised this power by:
    (a) Using some of the Vatican’s incomprehensible wealth to educate these vulnerable people on health family planning and condom use;
    (b) Supporting government programs that distribute condoms to high risk groups;
    (c) Using its myriad of churches in these regions to distribute condoms; or
    (d) Scaring people into NOT using condoms, based upon his disdainful and aloof view that it is better that a person die than go against the Vatican’s position on contraceptive use.

May 3, 2013 at 3:36 pm |

Matthew 23:29-36
      1 John 2:21-23
      Revelation 21:8

Amen.

May 3, 2013 at 3:49 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

Shilling for Colin?

May 3, 2013 at 3:50 pm |
    • Science

HS and Billie pounding BS again !

May 3, 2013 at 3:58 pm |
    • jmackey

You should get some new material – or perhaps an original thought, instead of cutting and pasting nonsense like this from other sites.

May 3, 2013 at 4:16 pm |
    • lol??

He did a c/p? Oh, well, doggie see, doggie doo doo. He's not a very creative temple of demons. Sing along kiddies.

I read in the paper there are robbers **(roof! roof!)**
      With flashlights that shine in the dark
      My love needs a doggie to protect him
      And scare them away with one bark

I don't want a bunny or a kitty
      I don't want a parrot that talks
      I don't want a bowl of little fishies
      He can't take a goldfish for a walk

How much is that doggie in the window? *(arf! arf!)*
      The one with the waggley tail
      How much is that doggie in the window? *(arf! arf!)*
      I do hope that doggie's for sale

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/p/patti_page/

May 4, 2013 at 5:02 am |
  5. Conversations with

me, myself and i

May 3, 2013 at 3:31 pm |
    • You

The church did not condemn anyone and I don't see anything wrong with this.

May 3, 2013 at 3:33 pm |
    • me

Really? How so? The church spoke a moral code? didn't ya read the tweets. I love the Green Bay Packers, always been a fan.

May 3, 2013 at 3:36 pm |
    • idolators on the loose

I don't care as long as there is a church involved I am happy to throw in my 2cents and vent my hatred toward the church.

May 3, 2013 at 3:38 pm |

Matthew 23:29-36
      1 John 2:21-23
      Revelation 21:8

Amen.

May 3, 2013 at 3:50 pm |
    • Tim

me
      point is, no reasonable person would expect that simply supporting someone's decision to come out would itself be considered an immoral act.

May 3, 2013 at 3:53 pm |
  6. Arkansasguest

Did it get lost somewhere that this guy is getting $8500 for a speech?!? Am I the only one that thinks that is just a little freaking CRAZY? I mean he played football. Football. It's not like he is a Nobel Laureate or something. Incredible.

May 3, 2013 at 3:28 pm |
    • Akira

Nice work if you can get it.

May 3, 2013 at 3:37 pm |
    • examiner

Considering which amerikans are being awarded Nobel prizes these days, I think we should allow NFL players to compete for that prize, too.

May 3, 2013 at 3:40 pm |
    • ME II

I thought you answered your own question:

"I mean he played football. Football. It's not like he is a Nobel Laureate or something."

May 3, 2013 at 3:46 pm |
    • Tim

Back in 2010 Sarah Palin got $75,000 per talk at any event, and she can't even say "Nobel Laureate".

May 3, 2013 at 3:51 pm |
    • rick

yeah, because once a football player always a football player right? you make it sound like there are no smart athletes. this guy wrote a book. about overcoming the odds.
      and $8500 ain't that much for speaking engagements.

May 3, 2013 at 3:52 pm |
  7. Thought Purification

here is our ISLAM FOUNDATION is blogging on Pakistani website, funny to see how he now claims Islam is Foundation of Pakistani Consti tution

"Why should any Muslim oppose call for imposition of Theen Allah, consti tution of truth absolute, foundation of consti tution of Pakistan, one has to be a hindu denier of truth absolute Allah, pretending to be Muslim to oppose Islam in Pakistan by his hindu secular ism, criminal kenjer ism. Pakistan was created for Muslims,not for hindu secular s criminal self centered, kenjer by faith, pretending to be Muslim."

May 3, 2013 at 3:27 pm |
    • sam

That is one obsessed psycho.

May 3, 2013 at 3:28 pm |
  8. Dman

as a christian and a youth pastor, I would encourage young people to "come out of the closet" if they were gay. Only because I would prefer for them to be "out", than be "in" and living 2 lives...... Last thing i want is to get that phone call that one of the KILLED himself because he was afraid to come out....... Just saying.

May 3, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
    • Madtown

Good for you sir. Would you counsel him that his ways are not a result of how God made him? At a church I attend sometimes, I had a pastor tell me that a teenage member had been able to "break out of hom0s*xuality through the church". I found it so sad and unfortunate.

May 3, 2013 at 3:25 pm |
    • lionlylamb

Dman,

So, we all should come out of our closets at the same time? What a 'socialite' calamity that would be! Hell, we can't even be sensible in our texting issues! Anyone who comes 'publically' out of their shell of individualism does so becoming center of attention go getters. Please one's self why don't you and 'up-the wazoo' for wanting social sympathies!

May 3, 2013 at 3:27 pm |
    • HGFilled

I concur.

May 3, 2013 at 3:28 pm |
    • catholic engineer

Very good policy, Dman.

May 3, 2013 at 3:43 pm |
    • Dman

A person is not gay because GOD made him that way. God created everything with the ability to procreate (birds, fish, insects, and even trees produce seed and multiply. 2 men together or 2 women together cant. Remember, that GOD doesnt hate people, he hates their sin. He hates my sin, your sin, everyone's sin REGARDLESS of what the sin is. We are all sinful in nature and God wants us to turn from our sinful ways REGARDLESS of what the sin is.

May 3, 2013 at 4:07 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Dman

Psychologists disagree with you. Science disagrees with you. Pure common sense disagrees with you.

May 3, 2013 at 4:08 pm |
    • Dman

@hawaiiguest – Scientist, phycologist, can barely agree with themselves. I am not even going to mention your common scene.

@lionlylamb – I am not sure how to respond to your sarcasm. However, isn't part of repentance admitting you are a sinner?

May 3, 2013 at 4:17 pm |
    • sam

Sin is a construct invented to keep the unwashed masses in line; it's to control, and that's it.

If god doesn't like it, then fine, it's for him to judge and everyone else to shut the hell up about and leave other people alone.

May 3, 2013 at 4:21 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Dman

What a wonderful way to discount any disagreement with your stance.

May 3, 2013 at 4:26 pm |
    • Madtown

A person is not gay because GOD made him that way
      -------
      *Facepalm* I was so with you in your initial post, I have to jump off your bandwagon now, not that you care. Can you describe for us the decision making process you went through, when you determined your orientation?

May 3, 2013 at 4:59 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Dman, If you believe that god created all, then surely it follows that it created gays and sin, so what's the problem with god's creation?

May 3, 2013 at 5:05 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

"God created everything with the ability to procreate (birds, fish, insects, and even trees produce seed and multiply."

Dman,

Who can people born with hermaphroditism have s3x with so not as not to offend your god?

May 3, 2013 at 5:53 pm |
  9. American Parent, Christian child.

Parent: "Here you are Chris, a big birthday cake! Now blow out the candles!"
    Child: "Yeah! " – blow-
    Parent: "Okay, now hand out pieces of cake to all the other kids"
    Child: "Alright, but Bobby and Jimmy don't get any"
    Parent: "But why? You got cake at their partys?"
    Child: "Yeah, but the rest of us decided we don't like kid's with long hair and Bobby and Jimmy have long hair and look like girls, so they don't get any cake."
    Parent: "But honey, even though this is your birthday cake, your father and I bought it and you have to share!"
    Child: "NO! I don't want to share! I want my piece and i'm gonna eat Jimmy and Bobbys pieces too! They shouldn't get any because they look like girls!"
    Parent: "Well i'm sorry to say this, but you have just gotten yourself grounded, no cake for you at all then, even on your birthday. Now go sit in the corner and think about your actions! Billy & Jimmy get your piece because you were too selfish and rude and greedy! Maybe we should think about canceling next years birthday party too for our little bigot!"
    Child: "Waaaaaah! Waaaaaaaah! Waaaaaaaah! Reverse discrimination! Reverse discrimination!! Waaaaaaah! Waaaaaaah!"

May 3, 2013 at 2:53 pm |
    • jmackey

I'm not sure which disturbs me most about your 'post' – that you found it somewhat clever, or that [and I'm hoping this isn't the case] that you spent time writing it and thinking it was clever.

May 3, 2013 at 2:59 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Just more Lies, lies, lies from the nonbeliever.

John 2:21-23

Amen.

May 3, 2013 at 3:02 pm |
    • AP, Cc

"I'm not sure which disturbs me most about your 'post'"

It's most likely the truth of it, as they say "The truth hurts."

May 3, 2013 at 3:04 pm |
    • Darrin

Great comeback HS! You really showed him!

May 3, 2013 at 3:06 pm |

jmackey, good post.

May 3, 2013 at 3:06 pm |
    • sam

HS and her fake troll fan club, as usual. HS, how many of these screen names are you going to make up, today?

"Great post, sockpuppet!"
      "You too, sockpuppet!"

May 3, 2013 at 3:09 pm |
    • Rick

I'll applaud that post which took quite a bit of work to do in comparison to the others who are criticizing in single sentences or with Bible quotes. At least the guy did something original.

May 3, 2013 at 3:19 pm |
    • Which God?

HS is spooging for jeebus with her nonsensical threats. HS you need to get carnal for jeebus, he's coming, you know.

May 3, 2013 at 3:30 pm |
    • Eddie

Sounds like somebody has a more twisted "lovelife" more than the normal gayhadist goon. I'm sure the role play is " just great" but the dialogue is third rate. Who wrote that?

May 3, 2013 at 3:49 pm |
  10. lionlylamb

Societies wheat-fields should allow for tares, (weeds) to grow together then come harvest time(s) separate the good wheat from all weeds. Do not burn the weeds but put them in piles to become as fertilizer for the next crops. Keep vigilant where the young wheat is being fielded and weed out the young fields of all the weeds daring to overtake the young wheat in all their fields of youngness.

May 3, 2013 at 2:50 pm |

Revelation 21:8

May 3, 2013 at 2:57 pm |
    • Reality

"Nineteenth-century agnostic Robert G. Ingersoll branded Revelation "the insanest of all books".[30] Thomas Jefferson omitted it along with most of the Biblical canon, from the Jefferson Bible, and wrote that at one time, he "considered it as merely the ravings of a maniac, no more worthy nor capable of explanation than the incoherences of our own nightly dreams." [31]

Martin Luther once "found it an offensive piece of work" and John Calvin "had grave doubts about its value."[32]

May 3, 2013 at 3:01 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

HS, Explain why you quoting from a book of Bronze Age superstitions has any relevance today. It's not like much of that book has been proven correct and especially not on the important things.

May 3, 2013 at 3:02 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Santa, Jesus' truth tells us that end of days (which is your generation since 1948) people think less and less of Jesus' truth (living unrighteous lives, reckless and careless) are worse than the days of Noah.

Revelation 21:8

Amen.

May 3, 2013 at 3:15 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

(which is your generation since 1948)

LOL.....Christians have been making end times claims for 2000 years.....and it started with Jesus.....(now waiting for the Jesus prophacy apologetics to start).

May 3, 2013 at 3:24 pm |
    • sam

HS, you should go recreate the great flood right now – go pop your head in the toilet and breathe deep.

May 3, 2013 at 3:25 pm |
    • Science

HS + LL + BS = BS

May 3, 2013 at 3:29 pm |
    • Tim

LL
      Gardeners simply destroy the weeds they find. Why would any want to torture them? Sounds sick!

May 3, 2013 at 3:30 pm |
    • HeavenSent

sam, which flood are you referring to?

May 3, 2013 at 3:55 pm |

Cheesy,

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day [is] with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

2 Peter 3:8

Amen.

May 3, 2013 at 4:00 pm |
    • sam

I'm sorry, do you not get any biblical references unless there's also a quote attached? That would explain a lot.

May 3, 2013 at 4:02 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

HS, I think this quote was written with you specifically in mind.

"If a bible verse furthers the cause, it is to be taken literally. If a bible verse is detrimental to the cause, it is either: taken out of context; is allegorical; refers to another verse somewhere else; is an ancient cultural anomaly; is a translation or copyist's error; means something other than what it actually says; Is a mystery of god or not discernible by humans; or is just plain magic."

May 3, 2013 at 5:56 pm |
    • HeavenScent

My study of the book allows me to answer all your questions with a right holy verse of His word. Sh1t happens and if my 12 year old daughter wasn't out pim-ping herself, I have to pay the rent, whether it is the landlord or his wife. Hope you are happy Tom, Tom, but les-bo s8x is not that bad. Satan will forgive me from the fires of hell as I had no choice, spit.

May 3, 2013 at 6:48 pm |
    • HeavenSent

In your worst nightmare would you assume that was creative.

May 3, 2013 at 11:16 pm |
    • Austin

Acts 2:17
      New International Version (NIV)
      17 “‘In the last days, God says,
      I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
      Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
      your young men will see visions,
      your old men will dream dreams.

the Lord lit me up with faith through the revealing of His written word in dreams. I also experienced a demonic revelation of a dead cat . That is the truth of both ends. You cant get out of it.

2 Corinthians 4:6

6 For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

May 3, 2013 at 11:28 pm |
    • mama k

Well don't forget that your body was inverted also.

May 3, 2013 at 11:31 pm |
    • Austin

in the dream it was and a demonic voice was singing to me showing me a bloody cat. I went outside and it was ran over.

Im glad you remember.

May 3, 2013 at 11:34 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Reality, Robert G. Ingersoll, Thomas Jefferson, Martin Luther and John Calvin all lived in a time that they couldn't comprehend the prophesy of Revelation. They lived in a time in history that the microwave, cell phones, computers etc. weren't invented or could be comprehended by the average citizen. Therefore, as usual, your point is mute.

May 4, 2013 at 5:00 pm |
    • The real Tom

"Your point is mute."

You fvcking moron, the word is "moot," not "mute." Don't even TRY to lie about it being a typo. Stupid hag.

May 4, 2013 at 5:06 pm |
    • The real Tom

LL, in yet another one of your sh!t-filled posts, you contradict yourself. You proclaim to someone (in your delusional mind, who knows whom you are addressing) that he should allow weeds to grow along with the wheat and in the next breath say the weeds should be pulled. Which is it, you loony old fart?

May 4, 2013 at 5:10 pm |
  11. rtich

Not going to consider reading all of these rants so, maybe this perspective has already been said... just saying–the 'Church" in question 'Appreciates' his keeping its name confidential??? They don't have the conviction to identify themselves and support their opinion in the open, but will teach kids their own brand of ethics??? The talk was about the problem of bullying. VERY TYPICAL HYPOCRACY!!!!

May 3, 2013 at 2:43 pm |
    • jmackey

" VERY TYPICAL HYPOCRACY!!!!" .... that's quite a loaded and unfounded statement if you're implying what I think you are.

May 3, 2013 at 2:50 pm |
    • Tim

jmackey
      So it's not bullying if you're sure they deserve it?

May 3, 2013 at 3:41 pm |
  12. Daniel

I have no problem with Christians saying "I do not believe being gay would please my God", that is freedom of speech. I do have a problem with Christians saying "I do not believe gay's should have access to the same civil benefits awarded me by the government and I will actively block any of their attempts to gain those same rights." That is the difference. You can even say "I don't think blacks and whites should marry." that's an opinion and you show yourself a racist and a bigot but thats your right, but if you actively work to deny those rights to others that is where you cross the line.

If there is a vote on your ballot that has to do with gay rights and your opinion won't let you vote in favor of those rights, then leave that box blank, it doesn't concern you. But to vote to deny people the same rights you enjoy that does not take any rights away from you and doesn't apply to you because you are not gay, then thats just being a disgusting bigoted azzhole who doesn't deserve the rights they have been given by this great Nation of freedom.

May 3, 2013 at 2:42 pm |
    • jmackey

"If there is a vote on your ballot that has to do with gay rights and your opinion won't let you vote in favor of those rights, then leave that box blank, it doesn't concern you" ... apparently the government thinks I do have a right to vote on the issue if it is asking me to vote yes or no .... why have the question even on the ballot if there isn't going to be a fair democratic vote ... think you fell asleep in the class explaining this.

May 3, 2013 at 2:56 pm |
    • sam

@jmackey – so, it's on a ballot which means the government must be doing the right thing?

Civil rights should never be up for a vote. There are too many stupid people willing to make sure people who aren't 'like them' can't find ways to be like them.

May 3, 2013 at 3:05 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Some people seem to think that by supporting another groups rights and freedoms they are therefore condoning their behavior. I support everyones right to free speech but I certainly don't condon what everyone says.

May 3, 2013 at 3:09 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

jamackey,

The bill of rights supercedes legislation. If the Supreme court rules against gay marriage it will be interesting to see their rational for gov't sanctioned discrimination.

May 3, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
  13. Kimberly Knight

So what I get out of this is that a church is holding an event about bullying and then they, uh, bully the speaker? Hmmmm. I guess bullying is wrong as long as it is bullying people who are exactly like you.

But remember, not all Christians or churches are like this – there are LGBT affirming people of faith out here so please don't let the media convince you otherwise.

May 3, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
  14. Over 40,000 denominations of insanity

One sect calls homosexuality an abomination while the next one (over 4,000,000 members) in the same denomination is already performing gay marriage.

One sect, the Westboro Baptist Church believes Americans are being killed at war because America is too kind to "fags".

One sect believes women to be subservient, while another sect in the same denomination promotes equality between the sexes.

One sect believes that Jesus and Satan were brothers and that Christ will return to Jerusalem AND Jackson County, Missouri.

Some believe the Pope is the Anti-Christ. Some believe Obama is the Anti-Christ.

Some believe that celibacy is the only option for certain people, or for people in certain positions. Many of the people from these same institutions advocate against abortion, but pretend not to understand the realistic benefit of the morning after pill or even basic contraception; their unrealistic wishful thinking is causing the death of many at the hands of disease.

In the U.S. recently we learned of the head of Lutheran CMS chastising a minister of that church for participating in a joint service for the victims of the Newtown school shooting.

Conflicted right from the very beginning, Christianity continues to splinter and create more extreme divisions as time goes by, constantly subjecting others in its crossfire.

Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth.

(Thomas Jefferson, from Notes on the State of Virginia, 1785)

May 3, 2013 at 2:18 pm |
  15. canrunr

Ok, isn't this a double edge sword. Butler was going to go to this church and speak on bullying, and then the CHURCH tried to bully him into changing his mind. wow that is deep. hmmmm

May 3, 2013 at 2:17 pm |
  16. Douglas

Jason Collins cannot be a Christian and live in an openly, active, gay relationship.

He is in violation of Biblical direction by doing so.

There is no "gay friendly" interpretation of the Bible to fit in with the lifestyles of LGBTQ
    who want to claim ownership of Christianity and redefine its values to fit their lifestyle.

Those are the rules..obey them and salvation is yours for eternity.

May 3, 2013 at 2:12 pm |
    • Chicadow

Do you carry your "Representative of God" card in your wallet or are you just self-proclaimed?

Just a little thought from your dear book: "Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned". Sounds like you're doing a little condemning.

And your quote to consider in light of the quote above: "Those are the rules..obey them and salvation is yours for eternity."

By the way, what kind of whale was it, that spit Jonah out after three days? The bible doesn't give the species and I've always been curious.

May 3, 2013 at 2:33 pm |
    • Vaseline

I'm what Douglas uses to lube the edges of his hard bound bible before attempting to fill himself with scripture.

May 3, 2013 at 2:34 pm |
    • Paul

Luckily most of the Jesus story is made up, so no worries.

May 3, 2013 at 2:38 pm |
    • marine1

@ Science
      You have got to be the most annoying piece of sh-t I have come across in a very long time. Stop with the copy/paste crap. No one gives a rats azz about your stupid ( look at me ) crap.

May 3, 2013 at 2:38 pm |
    • Tom

And you wonder why so many are leaving the church!

May 3, 2013 at 2:39 pm |
    • Observer

Douglas,

Why not skip the naive hypocrisy?

You can bet that this church has welcomed Christians as members who live in adultery by divorcing and remarrying.

Any bet whether there are Christian HYPOCRITES in this church who have tattoos?

Get real.

May 3, 2013 at 2:42 pm |
    • Ted Jones the crusader not for khrist

Douglas, "In Matthew 19 Jesus defines marriage as the union of one man and one woman...period."
      ...........
      You are incorrect...man defined and wrote it.

May 3, 2013 at 2:45 pm |
    • Science

Thanks for the help marine 1...

May 3, 2013 at 2:47 pm |
    • marine1

@Observer

May 3, 2013 at 2:47 pm |
    • Aaron

The bible also say love thy neighbor, and warns against judging lest you be judged. I am not gay, Leroy is not either. But just because you support someone instead of chastising them does not take away your Christianity. The bible is based on acceptance and leaving judgement to god. Forgetting this is why so many people view Christians such as my self as two faced bigots. Acceptance, Jesus did not exclusively limit interaction to pious people.

May 3, 2013 at 2:48 pm |
    • Science Fan

Science has great posts! It's great to stay educated and mold like an old loaf of bread.

May 3, 2013 at 2:48 pm |
    • Observer

marine1,

" So getting a divorce or a tattoo and going to church makes you a hypocrite? WoW !!!! I think you just got my vote for DUMBEST comment ever"

If you are going to pretend you know the Bible, why not read one someday? These are sins in the Bible which this hypocritical church ignores in their member while picking on Butler's statement.

Try again. You didn't look too bright.

May 3, 2013 at 2:52 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

marine1
      Leviticus 19:28 says, “Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the Lord.”

May 3, 2013 at 2:53 pm |
    • Ted Jones the crusader not for khrist

So tell me Marine are you bitter about a fellow Marine refusing your advances in the fighting hole?

May 3, 2013 at 2:55 pm |
    • marine1

@ observer
      So is a man sticking his meat bat in another mans azz. What is your point? OH!! You have none you are just spreading your hate for people who don't see things the way that you do.

May 3, 2013 at 2:56 pm |
    • Ted Jones the crusader not for khrist

Marine I bet you like to squeal

May 3, 2013 at 2:57 pm |
    • Salero21

Douglas in that portion of Matthew Jesus talks about marriage but he is not defining it

You are a dishonest Christian

If you are not careful, God will allow the hom.os to give you butt flu

May 3, 2013 at 2:58 pm |
    • Ted Jones the crusader not for khrist

Wow marine, no need to be angry at your suppressed gayness..jesus christ

May 3, 2013 at 2:58 pm |
    • .

marine, congrats on being a trollish little asshole. Hopefully a real marine will kick your ass someday.

May 3, 2013 at 3:00 pm |
    • marine1

@ Santa
      I am aware of what it say's. Once again let's point out that that was in the OLD Testament. So should every woman with ear rings tremble with fear as well? I think not.

May 3, 2013 at 3:00 pm |
    • Observer

marine1,

Apparently MILLIONS of heteros engage in sodomy. Skip the HYPOCRISY.

You can bet that many of your fellow MACHO Marines have bragged to others about their hetero s3xual accomplishments that included sodomy.

May 3, 2013 at 3:00 pm |
    • sam

Marine, we're all sorry you don't have a meat bat of your very own. Feel better now?

May 3, 2013 at 3:01 pm |
    • Observer

marine1,

Pitiful excuse. Read the Bible someday.

Is it the SAME "unchanging" God in both testaments?

Ooops.

May 3, 2013 at 3:03 pm |
    • Science

Hey Sally................. you and Doogie already have some kind of flu/illness !!!

May 3, 2013 at 3:12 pm |
    • Jaime Perry

I suppose that you oppose marriage for anyone who has been divorced. Clearly anyone who re-marries after a divorce is an unrepentant adultery. Do you support stoning them to death as per the good book ???

May 3, 2013 at 3:15 pm |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

Douglas: You can't be christian if you don't own slaves or beat your children. The bible says both those are right things to do.

May 3, 2013 at 3:48 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Truth Prevails, once a liar always a liar. Christians didn't own slave or beat their children. Those scriptures pertain to you Jews.

May 3, 2013 at 4:02 pm |
    • sam

So HS, everything in the OT pertains to the jews? Then christians really don't mind about gay people, since they're not even mentioned in the NT. Good to know. Ok to be gay and christian, not ok to be gay and jewish.

May 3, 2013 at 4:24 pm |
    • HeavenSent

sam, God sent Himself to earth as the messiah, Jesus Christ. Both the OT and NT are authored by Him to show man how to live righteously in flesh bodies. Both OT and NT go hand in hand. Jesus said in Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

May 3, 2013 at 11:29 pm |
    • mama k

Yeah – God got really, really nice right at the start of part 2, in those parts written by, oh wait, that's write- they don't know who authored those parts.. hmmm.

May 3, 2013 at 11:38 pm |
  17. John

Religion has historically been a major hindrance to human progress. We as a rational society shall overcome despite the hypocrites.

May 3, 2013 at 2:09 pm |
    • Steve B

yeah .. repugnant sodomy is progress, yay for us...

May 3, 2013 at 2:14 pm |
    • marine1

So have idiots like you.

May 3, 2013 at 2:25 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Steve
      1) Not all gay couples engage in sodomy.
      2) Plenty of straight people enjoy an/al play
      3) What about lesbians?

May 3, 2013 at 2:27 pm |
  18. His panic

Daniel may be suffering from some symptoms of a mild form of Panic. Am I his Panic? 😀

May 3, 2013 at 2:06 pm |
    • LOL

In a panic and forgetting the reply button? (Fundie stupidity in Full Bloom!)

May 3, 2013 at 2:14 pm |
    • Akira

Daniel pwed your silly ass and you're pissed. How cute.

May 3, 2013 at 3:54 pm |
  19. zaglossus

Screw religion.

May 3, 2013 at 1:59 pm |
    • Steve B

Ditto your mom

May 3, 2013 at 2:15 pm |
    • marine1

Screw you.

May 3, 2013 at 2:27 pm |
  20. HeathanMike

Congratulations to Leroy Butler for showing integrity. Sure would like to know the name of that church, so they can be publicly shamed, but I guess Mr. Butler is classier than I am in that regard. I hope, though, they church can feel some embarassment over this. They are reeeeeally not "spreadin' the love of Jesus," are they. The part where they tell him he has to repent, I think is the worst. Sheer self-righteous arrogance.

It continues to be wonderful to see how support for Jason Collins just keeps growing, despite the ever-present haters. There is hope for humanity, yet!

May 3, 2013 at 1:56 pm |
    • lionlylamb

HeathanMike,

It's okay. Really! Many of this days' socialites are as tares among the wheat-fields and the within young wheat is where said tares do much damage.

May 3, 2013 at 2:21 pm |