home
RSS
May 11th, 2013

My Take: ‘Gay Christian’ is not an oxymoron

Editor’s note: Justin Lee is the Executive Director of the Gay Christian Network and author of Torn: Rescuing the Gospel from the Gays-vs.-Christians Debate.

By Justin Lee, Special to CNN

(CNN)–In high school, I was a Christian know-it-all.

My nickname was "God boy," and I was known for regularly preaching at my friends about social issues of the day. I dismissed their objections - and accusations of homophobia - as intolerance for my faith.

"I'm just telling you what God's Word says," I'd argue.

Years later I realized my mistake. What my peers most objected to wasn't my beliefs - it was my condescending attitude. I debated and preached when I should have listened. I thought that stating my position loudly and unyieldingly was a sign of strength. In the process, I alienated my friends.

When ESPN commentator Chris Broussard was criticized for saying that openly gay NBA player Jason Collins was “openly rebelling against God,” some evangelicals argued that conservative theological views are no longer tolerated in America.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

But they're missing the point.

Broussard's language didn't just express a religious view about sexual morality; it referred to gay people in ways that were dehumanizing, reducing all gay people's lives to a single sex act. Other outspoken Christians routinely say even worse things, comparing gay people to pedophiles, for example.

No one is immune from criticism in a free country with diverse beliefs. But if Christians feel particularly singled out at times, I'd argue that our perceived lack of empathy for others is largely to blame.

I can often test a Christian's level of empathy by offering a single admission: When I was 18, I realized that I'm gay.

Empathetic Christians are typically intrigued by such a statement, even if they also question how a conservative Southern Baptist could also be openly gay. They want to know about my struggles, how my family and church responded, and whether I ever feel my faith and sexuality are at odds with one another.

I love these questions, because they show that the other person genuinely sees me as a human being.

But far too often, Christians respond not with curiosity and questions but with politics and preaching.

They quote Bible passages at me, make assumptions about my faith, or tell me why they’re opposed to same-sex marriage.

I'm no longer a person to them; I'm a symbol of a culture war. A battlefield. And when I don't want to be treated that way, they assume I'm turning away because I didn't really want to hear the truth.

This kind of behavior is why so many of my LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) friends want nothing to do with the church.

But it's not only them.

In my book, "Torn: Rescuing the Gospel from the Gays-vs.-Christians Debate," I share the story of Cindy, a conservative evangelical mom whose life was thrown into turmoil when her son told her he was gay.

This wasn't a political question for Cindy; it was a personal one. But the dehumanizing rhetoric about gay people she heard from the pulpit made her afraid to talk to anyone at church about her son's sexuality.

Christians are not a monolithic group. I know many empathetic Christians, including many who speak up regularly for their LGBT brothers and sisters.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The loudest megaphones do not speak for the rest of us, but they are still loud, and legion. To them I say: Gay people are not an issue. We're people. Some of us are Christians, too. And if it disturbs you that I refer to myself as both gay and Christian, I invite you to take the time to get to know me, and read what I write. You don't have to agree, and you might think I’m a sinner, but at least you’ll see me as a human being.

Baptist minister and author Tony Campolo quips that Jesus entreated Christians not to "love the sinner and hate the sin," but to "love the sinner and hate your own sin."

Jesus saved his harshest words for the self-righteously devout and chose the outcasts and sinners as his closest friends.

Perhaps a lesson in Jesus-style humility might do us all some good.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Justin Lee.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Homosexuality • Opinion

soundoff (3,629 Responses)
  1. Paul in Atlanta

I'm always amused when Christians, who don't practice even 10% of what Leviticus says, begin quoting it to others. I guess they're happy to share it with the rest of us, because they're not using it anyway. Just a suggestion, if you believe the Bible has something important to say, start by practicing it in your life before you start working on my life. BTW, there's a mote in your eye.

May 12, 2013 at 11:29 am |
    • Jimmy G.

What kind of mote? And how can you see it through the internet? Are you a wizard? 😯

May 12, 2013 at 11:47 am |
    • A Conversation

Paul...that's because 90% of Lev. is no longer applicable to the Christian life–we're not under the law. Thus you find humor in your own ignorance. The other 10% (give or take) is reaffirmed in Xtian scripture.

May 12, 2013 at 11:52 am |
    • .

So by that freaking logic...neither should the 10% that deals with gay people. It's not Paul's 'ignorance', it's the stupidity of the pick-and-choose-what-laws-I'll-follow that's stupid. Reaffirm all you want; it remains that whatever laws y'all don't want to follow, you discard. And Jesus said ALL of the old laws still apply, so.......?

May 12, 2013 at 12:21 pm |
    • You will burn in hell if you don’t change your ways

Jesus said to follow the law of the old testament ALL OF IT. He also said the most difficult path is the one that leads to heaven. Pretending that you are no longer bound by the law of the Old Testament is the easy path to hell

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."Matthew 5:17-19

"Heaven and earth will disappear before the smallest letter of the Law does." Luke 16:17 (CEV)

What part of “UNTIL HEAVEN AND EARTH DISAPPEAR” don’t you understand? That doesn’t mean just until the resurrection.

May 12, 2013 at 4:56 pm |
    • A Conversation

Gal. 5:18, "But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law." No one who follows Christ (not even the apostles) has ever interpreted Jesus's sayings in this regard to mean anything other than this–once Jesus was crucified and resurrected–we, who believe, were freed from the law. It is that simple.

May 12, 2013 at 11:23 pm |
    • G to the T

It appears Conversation is a follower of Paul and NOT of Jesus. It's a common mistake most christians make. Following the religion ABOUT Jesus rather than the religion OF Jesus...

May 13, 2013 at 11:16 am |
    • A Conversation

@G...wrong...follower of Christ...just like Paul. But since ALL scripture is God breathed, I get to rely on Paul's teachings too. BTW, look at the Gospels...Jesus himself was accused of not following the law. Indeed, Peter writes about this too. Nice try.

May 13, 2013 at 2:36 pm |
    • A Conversation

Further thought...the story of Jesus rescuing the woman caught in adultery...stoning her would have been consistent with the law. He made it clear there was going to be a new way. You skeptics can pigeon hole this anyway you want, but no Christian has ever interpreted His words to mean anything other than how it is interpreted today on this subject.

May 13, 2013 at 2:40 pm |
    • G to the T

Converstation – sorry but I must disagree. You may believe it's "God breathed" and like Paul, work backwards to try and prove your premise, but any amount of biblilcal scholarship will show you that Paul's was not the only interpretation that existed, it just happens to be the one that survived.

May 14, 2013 at 10:11 am |
    • Bill Deacon

Theological evolutionary dominance?

May 14, 2013 at 5:41 pm |
    • Jonathan

It was 'Accomplished' when Jesus died on the cross. When Jesus spoke the words "It is finished" (Also translated as Accomplished), this is what it applies to:

The work of redemption
      The Mosaic covenant with it's priesthood, temple and sacrifices
      The curse of the law
      Sin (in the sense that it was all placed upon Christ – past, present and future)
      The prophecies and types concerning the Messiah's death
      The old fallen creation (which was placed 'in Christ'). God's purposes are now centered on a 'new creation' in Christ.
      Satan's dominion and hold over man
      The separation of Jew and Gentile

There is no 10% of leviticus law that we follow and 90% we ignore. While certain things are abominations to the Lord (such as ho-mo-se-xuality) there is no longer the need to punish such sin by death. Jesus fulfilled the laws and has shown he can forgive and cleanse any sin.

May 14, 2013 at 6:17 pm |
  2. Richard Cranium

these.
    • You agree not to upload, post or otherwise transmit any User Content that violates or infringes in any way upon the rights of others, including any statements which may defame, harass, stalk or threaten others;

• You agree not to upload, post or otherwise transmit any User Content that is offensive to the online community, including blatant expressions of bigotry, racism, abusiveness, vulgarity or profanity.

Just in what I've seen this morning, but not more than usual.

May 12, 2013 at 11:15 am |
    • Richard Cranium

meant as reply to midwest...reply button seems to be misbehaving a bit too.

Someone is a bit sensitive today

May 12, 2013 at 11:16 am |
    • Richard Cranium

I've seen a lot of my posts disappear today as well, and I don't see where I violated a thing, so it's just a theory...lol has been really bad lately and probably got under someones skin, rainman posted clear bigotry but that's nothing new to him.

May 12, 2013 at 11:23 am |
    • midwest rail

Meh – even rainman's post wasn't all that offensive. I've seen nothing that needed to be removed.

May 12, 2013 at 11:30 am |
    • Richard Cranium

midwest
      Yeah, he did cross the line though...it did not bother me but someone reported it. Rainman is one of those deeply self righteous guys that thinks his delusions need to be in everyones heads.

Likely he bothered someone who is gay , and then lol with all the profanity, name calling and derogatory stuff is just a lying troll...someone might be new, or the nothing is back...unsure which yet.

May 12, 2013 at 11:36 am |
    • Astrognome

I don't agree and will never agree. Since they don't make agreement contingent before posting, the terms have no force and are null and void.
      So are you a circumcised dick-head or uncut? And why is your head shaped like that, anyway?

May 12, 2013 at 12:09 pm |
  3. lol??

lol??
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    lol??
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    lol??
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    Yup Science, the Qweirdos and pals think it's funny to label a normal person the straight guy. They think it's an inside joke.
    BBBBbbbbbwwwwaaahahahahahahaha

May 12, 2013 at 11:11 am |
    • Science

May 12, 2013 at 11:28 am |
    • lol??

Science, there is a Science and Tech section of the CNN opinion tree. Would you be so kind as to go clutter up their section????

May 12, 2013 at 11:31 am |
    • Science

You can lol?? ..................with the red devil and horns !

May 12, 2013 at 11:36 am |
  4. Rainer Braendlein

Censured News Network

May 12, 2013 at 11:04 am |
    • Saraswati

iIf your stuff's getting deleted it's not CNN but some idiot reader clicking the abuse button. CNN just doesn't bother to hire people to read through and verify all the flags. It seems like something you could set a few interns on...and maybe have one rewrite the cruddy filter, too.

May 12, 2013 at 11:07 am |
    • Richard Cranium

I think you mean censored, and what I read from you was a clear violation of the terms of service...I did not report it in but someone has been all morning...Best mind the terms of service.

May 12, 2013 at 11:08 am |
  5. midwest rail

And the post deletion runs amok – again. It's a shame how words on a page frighten some people.

May 12, 2013 at 11:01 am |
    • Saraswati

I suspect the mentality is more like teen vandalism. Some loser kids who can't feel empowered any other way and for whom screwing up a CNN comments page is seen as a big accomplishment.

May 12, 2013 at 11:05 am |
    • Science

midwest rail.................the bugs

Science

lol??...............there is no red devil with horns that cme out of the head OK.

The End !

May 12, 2013 at 11:03 am | Report abuse | Reply

Leave a Reply to Rainer Braendlein

Click here to cancel reply.

Name: (required)

May 12, 2013 at 11:06 am |
    • Richard Cranium

Someone has been reporting many this morning...I have seen a lot of violations of the terms of service so I am not surprised...someone is just a bit sensitive this morning.

May 12, 2013 at 11:09 am |
    • midwest rail

Which terms of service have been violated ?

May 12, 2013 at 11:11 am |
    • Fold-E-Mart

So let's all get derogatory. Me first. Fuck you shithead for being a piece of shit with a head.

Your turn. Go.

May 12, 2013 at 11:42 am |
  6. HotAirAce

Being a gay christian isn't the issue – being a christian, or a member of any other religious cult, is!

May 12, 2013 at 9:55 am |
    • Science

HotAirAce.....................Agree.....................there is no red devil with horns that come out of the head !

Peace

May 12, 2013 at 10:08 am |
    • lol??

Exactly antichrists, cut to the chase.

May 12, 2013 at 10:14 am |
    • Science

Facts are what lol??.....................?

May 12, 2013 at 10:29 am |
    • Science

HotAirAce.................the bugs are out.......... posted one for lol??'s thread above and it ened up on bottom of page !

The sh-it hits the fan !!!\

Peace

May 12, 2013 at 10:52 am |
    • lol??

May 12, 2013 at 11:35 am |
    • Astrognome

lol? is a gay Christian who came here to hook up.
      Sorry, lol?, but this is not a gay singles bar.

May 12, 2013 at 12:14 pm |
  7. Alias

The big picture:
    Until christians open their eyes and realize that marriage is about a lot more than s.e.x, this issue will never go away.

And I didn't even need to post a video!

May 12, 2013 at 9:48 am |
    • Richard Cranium

They also need to realize that their bible definition is not the only one. Their religion did not invent marriage, nor does it define it exclusively.

May 12, 2013 at 9:49 am |
    • Saraswati

@Richard,

I think that really is the problem. Where I grew up people talked about marriage and church weddings. It was always accepted that marriage was a secular construct and you had a church wedding with a church marriage if you wanted it. Catholics I think also understand this well since it is quite common to have marriages that are not recognized as church marriages due to the divorce issue – yet you don't see a heck of a lot of people working to invalidate them.

May 12, 2013 at 11:03 am |
  8. lol??

Put the usurpers in charge of marriage. That'll work.

May 12, 2013 at 9:45 am |
    • Richard Cranium

Which usurpers?
      How can anyone be "in charge of marriage".?

You do know that we are not in your head, right? So when you post with no context, which is continually, no one (probably including you) knows what you are talking about, right?

May 12, 2013 at 9:48 am |
    • lol??

Sorry RC, that was sarcasm. The usurpers are in charge of marriage. It doesn't work.

May 12, 2013 at 9:55 am |
    • Richard Cranium

again...
      Which usurpers?
      How can anyone be "in charge of marriage".?

May 12, 2013 at 9:59 am |
    • midwest rail

R.C. – if you get an answer from lol?? that is even remotely lucid, you will be the first.

May 12, 2013 at 10:01 am |
    • lol??

You people are on a belief blog and don't now who is in charge of marriage?? What's wrong with this picture??

May 12, 2013 at 10:06 am |
    • HotAirAce

lol?? has a hate on for the/any government. . .

May 12, 2013 at 10:09 am |
    • Richard Cranium

again
      again...
      Which usurpers?
      How can anyone be "in charge of marriage".?

May 12, 2013 at 10:20 am |
    • lol??

May 12, 2013 at 11:28 am |
    • Lovely just lovely

Isn't it lovely to see brain-damaged people have a place to put comments!
      lols meds must be very strong. The poor kid just wants to share his delusions with us.
      Don't be too mad. We have nowhere else to put these people.

May 12, 2013 at 11:33 am |
    • Science

You can lol??...................that red devil with horns.......you know >

May 12, 2013 at 11:33 am |
    • lol??

LJL. "............brain-damaged people..........."AHhh sooo. Not so comedic The h0m0's call the entire population of hetero's "straight" but get offended when you call them Qweirdos. Brooklyn theatre at it's finest. Can't keep Vegas in Vegas, either, wise guys.

May 12, 2013 at 11:42 am |
    • Fold-E-Mart

I'm guessing Xanax.

May 12, 2013 at 11:44 am |
    • Bill Deacon

I love lol?? I think he's hilarious and gets right to the point LOL. Bright spot of most threads!

May 14, 2013 at 5:39 pm |
  9. .

"How do gays inflict mishap and suffering on us (the whole society, believers and disbelievers)? What makes gayness a sin, I mean a crime which damages the life of other people? What justifies it to designate gayness a sin (crime)?"

YeahRight

The American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Counseling Association, the American Psychiatric Association, the American Psychological Association, the American School Counselor Association, the National Association of School Psychologists, and the National Association of SocialWorkers, together representing more than 480,000 mental health professionals, have all taken the position that homosexuality is not a mental disorder and thus is not something that needs to or can be “cured."

Like their heterosexual counterparts, many gay and lesbian people want to form stable, long-lasting, committed relationships. Indeed, many of them do and that large proportions are currently involved in such a relationship and that a substantial number of those couples have been together 10 or more years.

Research demonstrates that the psychological and social aspects of committed relationships between same-sex partners closely resemble those of heterosexual partnerships. Like heterosexual couples, same-sex couples form deep emotional attachments and commitments. Heterosexual and same-sex couples alike face similar issues concerning intimacy, love, equity, loyalty, and stability, and they go through similar processes to address those issues. Research examining the quality of intimate relationships also shows that gay and lesbian couples have levels of relationship satisfaction similar to or higher than those of heterosexual couples.

A large number of gay and lesbian couples raise children. Children and teenagers whose parents provide loving guidance in the context of secure home environments are more likely to flourish – and this is just as true for children of same-sex parents as it is for children of opposite-sex parents. Based on research findings, mental health professionals have also reached a consensus that the quality of relationships among significant adults in a child’s or adolescent’s life is associated with adjustment. When relationships between parents are characterized by love, warmth, cooperation, security, and mutual support, children and adolescents are more likely to show positive adjustment. In contrast, when relationships between parents are conflict-ridden and acrimonious, the adjustment of children and adolescents is likely to be less favorable. These correlations are just as true for children of same-sex parents as for children of opposite-sex parents.

Assertions that heterosexual couples are inherently better parents than same sex couples, or that the children of lesbian or gay parents fare worse than children of heterosexual parents, have no support in the scientific research literature. On the contrary, the scientific research that has directly compared outcomes for children with gay and lesbian parents with outcomes for children with heterosexual parents has consistently shown that the former are as fit and capable as the latter and that their children are as psychologically healthy and well adjusted as children reared by heterosexual parents.

May 12, 2013 at 9:13 am |
    • AtheistSteve

The adoption process for is a long and arduous one that is the same for hetero and same sex couples.. You need to demonstrate a healthy, loving and stable household environment for raising children. This often isn't the case for biological parents where the children are the result of unwanted or surprise pregnancies. Huge numbers of single parent families attest to this fact. Simply being able to breed doesn't equate to responsible parenting.

May 12, 2013 at 9:29 am |
  10. AtheistSteve

Gay marriage is now legal in 12 states and counting. Detractors will soon find themselves on the losing side of history on this issue. Accept it and move on or continue to be mocked for your backward ignorant views. Your choice.

May 12, 2013 at 9:07 am |
    • Jonathan

It seems like the states chose their side, does it? Too bad the states that chose to permit gay marriage are outnumbered 3 to 1 by the ones that refused gay marriage.

Now the real battles begin. Will the voice of the people be drowned out by the minority with the most disposable income and loudest voice? The country is quickly becoming a pile of dry tinder, just waiting for the first spark to ignite it.

Where is my popcorn? This is an exciting time to be alive!

May 14, 2013 at 5:30 pm |
  11. jesuswithoutbaggage

Justin, I follow your blog and I am happy to see you on Belief Blog. This is a particularly good article!

May 12, 2013 at 8:01 am |
  12. Reality

From the topic:

I'm still an evangelical Christian, but one thing is now crystal clear to me. American evangelicals' bad reputation isn't just because of what we believe. It's mostly because of how we behave."

Actually, it is about 50/50:

Luther, Calvin, Joe Smith, Henry VIII, Wesley, Roger Williams, the Great “Babs” et al, founders of Christian-based religions or combination religions also suffered from the belief in/hallucinations of "pretty wingie thingie" visits and "prophecies" for profits analogous to the myths of Catholicism (resurrections, apparitions, ascensions and immacu-late co-nceptions).

Current problems:
    Adulterous preachers, pedophiliac clerics, "propheteering/ profiteering" evangelicals and atonement theology,

May 12, 2013 at 7:24 am |
    • MrCrewel Dude

STFU !

May 12, 2013 at 7:28 am |
    • Larryboy

That's a hell of a mouthful. baddabing!

May 12, 2013 at 7:38 am |
    • Fold-E-Mart

You need to spread out those words. You've got them all bunched up together. Give them elbow room so they can cleanse neurons!

May 12, 2013 at 11:36 am |
  13. Observer

Why shouldn't Christian churches accept gays? Hypocrisy certainly shouldn't be an issue since the churches are already full of Christian adulterers who have remarried; people with tattoos; guys who haven't married their brothers widows; etc.

May 12, 2013 at 2:00 am |
    • Windows

Some do, it depends on the church. I know a gay couple who was married in a Unitarian church.

May 12, 2013 at 6:41 am |
    • midwest rail

Welcome back, cap'n.

May 12, 2013 at 7:04 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magic Underwear

@ dot – boy: this is an example of supposedly Christian love and understanding?

May 12, 2013 at 8:27 am |
    • Saraswati

@Windows, most Unitarians don't consider themselves predominanty Christian. I think in the last survey I saw about 20% had Christian as their main religious identi.ty...though certainly most of those support same-se.x marriage. Better examples of Christian groups would be organizations like the United Church of Christ.

May 12, 2013 at 8:34 am |
  14. loveforall

To Hippy Poet

We now live in a world where compassion coupled with an ability to empathize is crucial to all of our existence... Love at the deepest levels is rare. Can we discuss how to build as well as protect that love? What do any of us gain by tearing the other down? So many are torn apart by unnecessary judgment. So much effort put into it that so many are hurt. Why?

You still have love in you HP why not express that side here?

May 12, 2013 at 1:33 am |
    • Saraswati

One would hope that with marriage and childbearing becoming optional, those who do not have the ability to truly love will be less likely to have children. Sadly examples like Ariel Castro indicate this may not be so.

May 12, 2013 at 8:39 am |
  15. Stakeout

If you are a guy and you jerk off another guy, that makes you gay. Every guy has jerked of a guy. Therefore all guys are gay and going to hell. This includes Jesus too.. Come on man a all dudes have to break one off once n a while.

May 12, 2013 at 1:04 am |
    • dalis

You included?

C'mon guy, lots of people have more valuable use for their time than getting off. Is that hard for you to believe?

May 12, 2013 at 1:52 am |
  16. faith

ain't no one god don't love. many he loves do not receive the benefits of his love because they are cut off. sin does that.

May 12, 2013 at 1:03 am |
    • Richard Cranium

Like the authors of the bible, you are just making stuff up.

May 12, 2013 at 8:24 am |
  17. midwest rail

Well, THIS will be an interesting comments section. Let the straw man building contest begin !!

May 12, 2013 at 1:02 am |
    • Jeff Zucker, Media Mogul and Dumb Boss

CNN is trying to drive people away by posting articles about gays vs faith and then standing back and laughing as people arrive, try to post, and find they can't post anything.
      So they laugh at the ones who were unlucky in choosing words that block, like s3x, h=m0, doCU-Ment, and many other common words.
      Those who find their comment disappeared will be angry, frustrated, and since CNN deliberately avoids using any sort of information to inform visitors that they have used bad words like "suspi-ciously" "v-ague" and "ati-tude".
      CNN laughs as these disgruntled visitors depart forever, going over to Huffington Post where they have more than one guy in charge of webpages and better soft-ware. Yes, you cannot say soft-ware without the dash here.
      CNN hates people who comment here. There is no other explanation for it. It has been this way since CNN started using WordPress to handle its blogs and comments.

May 12, 2013 at 4:43 am |
  18. Love this Author

This is probably one of my favorite and fair author's I"ve read on CNN. He's absolutely right.

At times in one's life a person may be absolutely convinced one way or another of what diety is out there (if any)..and thorougly convinced.

It has nothing to do with a person's political or romantic interests, totally different mental processing involved in those things.

May 12, 2013 at 12:04 am |
    • Matthew

I love this author, too!

May 12, 2013 at 2:06 am |
  19. hippypoet

For any fellow atheists looking for some fun times and conversation, check out https://www.facebook.com/PoeticAtheism

May 11, 2013 at 10:38 pm |
    • lol??

Please do, doggies.

May 12, 2013 at 9:49 am |
  20. hippypoet

ok wow – first, the bible outlines how god first takes all non believers, whether non believers or believers in other gods, and turns them over to "lus.tful des.ires"! god basically creates ga.y people from the non believer crowd!

before and after the bible states the god made ga.y people, it informs you, the believer how to deal with such fil.th...you ki.ll them!

And so in like manner of sin and its nature to us from a biblical perspective, the idea of g@ people is a creation of god then he punished us for how he made us and for also being as he made us...sinful!

May 11, 2013 at 10:37 pm |
    • hippypoet

yeah I was having issues with cnn censors and so I started putting . between all possibilities. 🙂 sry

May 11, 2013 at 10:58 pm |
    • Alias

A few bible quotes to back this up would be helpful

I can't beleive i;m asking for bible passages....

May 11, 2013 at 11:12 pm |
    • hippypoet

Romans 1:21-27

Leviticus 18:22-30

he creates them, then punishes them for being as he made them – because god is love!

May 11, 2013 at 11:21 pm |
    • loveforall

Why do you not discuss the promise vs the law? We should take care to include the whole story before presumptions lead to further judgment and hatred of others. Be sure to include who the law was written for, why it was written, and when the law is broken. Jesus provided ALL of us a way to be accepted by God. A way to be loved UNCONDITIONALLY without hesitation. He made the sacrifice.

Romans 10:4

Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

Everyone who believes would include gay, straight, male, female, etc. would it not? None of us determine who God accepts and loves.

May 12, 2013 at 12:50 am |
    • .

Loveforall, that's a great sentiment, and would be absolutely lovely if it were put into practice; if it were, this gentleman would never have had to write this article.
      It isn't the atheists he's preaching to, ya know. It's CHRISTIANS.
      Why don't you address the bigotry and gay bashing within the Christian members?

May 12, 2013 at 1:36 am |
    • midwest rail

There's the loving cap'n we've all come to detest.

May 12, 2013 at 7:15 am |
    • midwest rail

Good grief, you're easy to rile up. No one detests you, you silly twit – you simply aren't enough of a human to stir up that strong a reaction. Disgust, maybe. Pity ? Somewhat. But that's about it.

May 12, 2013 at 7:27 am |