home
RSS
May 11th, 2013

My Take: ‘Gay Christian’ is not an oxymoron

Editor’s note: Justin Lee is the Executive Director of the Gay Christian Network and author of Torn: Rescuing the Gospel from the Gays-vs.-Christians Debate.

By Justin Lee, Special to CNN

(CNN)–In high school, I was a Christian know-it-all.

My nickname was "God boy," and I was known for regularly preaching at my friends about social issues of the day. I dismissed their objections - and accusations of homophobia - as intolerance for my faith.

"I'm just telling you what God's Word says," I'd argue.

Years later I realized my mistake. What my peers most objected to wasn't my beliefs - it was my condescending attitude. I debated and preached when I should have listened. I thought that stating my position loudly and unyieldingly was a sign of strength. In the process, I alienated my friends.

I'm still an evangelical Christian, but one thing is now crystal clear to me. American evangelicals' bad reputation isn't just because of what we believe. It's mostly because of how we behave.

When ESPN commentator Chris Broussard was criticized for saying that openly gay NBA player Jason Collins was “openly rebelling against God,” some evangelicals argued that conservative theological views are no longer tolerated in America.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

But they're missing the point.

Broussard's language didn't just express a religious view about sexual morality; it referred to gay people in ways that were dehumanizing, reducing all gay people's lives to a single sex act. Other outspoken Christians routinely say even worse things, comparing gay people to pedophiles, for example.

No one is immune from criticism in a free country with diverse beliefs. But if Christians feel particularly singled out at times, I'd argue that our perceived lack of empathy for others is largely to blame.

I can often test a Christian's level of empathy by offering a single admission: When I was 18, I realized that I'm gay.

Empathetic Christians are typically intrigued by such a statement, even if they also question how a conservative Southern Baptist could also be openly gay. They want to know about my struggles, how my family and church responded, and whether I ever feel my faith and sexuality are at odds with one another.

I love these questions, because they show that the other person genuinely sees me as a human being.

But far too often, Christians respond not with curiosity and questions but with politics and preaching.

They quote Bible passages at me, make assumptions about my faith, or tell me why they’re opposed to same-sex marriage.

I'm no longer a person to them; I'm a symbol of a culture war. A battlefield. And when I don't want to be treated that way, they assume I'm turning away because I didn't really want to hear the truth.

This kind of behavior is why so many of my LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) friends want nothing to do with the church.

But it's not only them.

In my book, "Torn: Rescuing the Gospel from the Gays-vs.-Christians Debate," I share the story of Cindy, a conservative evangelical mom whose life was thrown into turmoil when her son told her he was gay.

This wasn't a political question for Cindy; it was a personal one. But the dehumanizing rhetoric about gay people she heard from the pulpit made her afraid to talk to anyone at church about her son's sexuality.

Christians are not a monolithic group. I know many empathetic Christians, including many who speak up regularly for their LGBT brothers and sisters.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The loudest megaphones do not speak for the rest of us, but they are still loud, and legion. To them I say: Gay people are not an issue. We're people. Some of us are Christians, too. And if it disturbs you that I refer to myself as both gay and Christian, I invite you to take the time to get to know me, and read what I write. You don't have to agree, and you might think I’m a sinner, but at least you’ll see me as a human being.

Baptist minister and author Tony Campolo quips that Jesus entreated Christians not to "love the sinner and hate the sin," but to "love the sinner and hate your own sin."

Jesus saved his harshest words for the self-righteously devout and chose the outcasts and sinners as his closest friends.

Perhaps a lesson in Jesus-style humility might do us all some good.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Justin Lee.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Homosexuality • Opinion

soundoff (3,629 Responses)
  1. qs

I have to disagree with the main premise of this article on a fundamental level – it IS, in fact, what you believe....the condescension and self-righteousness are simply inherent and inevitable side effects of believing what you do.

May 13, 2013 at 3:52 pm |
  2. Science

Creationists and facts do not mix well...................ID believers too !

May 13, 2013 at 3:52 pm |
    • Darryl

Super! So, you finally figured it all out for us. That is so great, what is the secret please?

In the beginning there was absolutley nothing ... no elements, no energy, just nothing .... which is really hard to wrap your head around to begin with .....nothingness.

Then there is the universe, the suns, the planets and the moons .... and then then there is life where there was none. How does science explain that? Sorry, I know that it can't, I forgot that you finally had the answer for us for a second there.

OK, lay it on us!!!!!

May 13, 2013 at 4:04 pm |
    • G to the T

Darryl – what part of "Singularity" don't you understand? It's not the same as nothing, indeed FAR from it. Don't blame people dismissing your other views if your views on this are so far left field...

May 13, 2013 at 4:17 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Daryl. Science does have an explanation for elements, for galaxies, for species, and more. Weren't you paying attention in school?

May 13, 2013 at 5:25 pm |
  3. lionlylamb

Christians don't hate the sensually trodden upon. They feel sorry about this world's W h o r e d o m ways and many ever losing sight: lusting in the animalistic pleasures of man with man and woman with woman. Their intellectually invented sensualistic escapades come on as being threatening to many a child's upbringing. True, mostly all Christians see with little perceptivity regarding social trends around human animalisms of sensualist variations. For the W h o r e d o m ways of trendy animalistic perversions within mankind are wrought full of the depraved and lost ones seeking the instinctual rather than the mental bridges within the mutually conscientious kindred's of high social moorings. The W h o r e d o m domains of mankind will always be among us. Live with it rather than live against it.

May 13, 2013 at 3:52 pm |
    • psych ward staff

Uh oh – he threw up his word salad again – clean up on page 10 – stat.

May 13, 2013 at 3:54 pm |
    • .

LL is the pseudo intellect of the belief blog, their posts are pure stupidity.

May 13, 2013 at 3:56 pm |
    • Athy

Well, they do look stupid, but how can one tell since they're totally indecipherable?

May 13, 2013 at 4:13 pm |
  4. GnatB

For all have sinned and come short of the glory of god.
    There's no such thing as a "non sinner".

And contrary to what the catholic church dreamed up as a way to sell indulgences, there is no difference between sin. They are all mortal. For the wages of sin is death.

Gay, Philanderer, Murderer, Thief, Liar. Same difference. Since I happen not to be without sin myself, I don't particularly feel I have the right to throw any stones.

May 13, 2013 at 3:51 pm |
    • Madtown

There's no such thing as a "non sinner".
      ----
      Just as God made us, imperfect.

May 13, 2013 at 3:53 pm |
    • ME II

The man who tells his "No, honey you're not fat" is equal to the man who tells his wife "No, honey eating the children isn't wrong.".

(apologies for the stereotype)

May 13, 2013 at 3:54 pm |
    • lol??

Keep on judging. You need the practice for judging angels.

May 13, 2013 at 3:55 pm |
  5. Atheist Hunter

Christ upheld these principles when HE said, "have ye not read, that He which made them at the beginning made them male and female, and said, for this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife; and they twain [two] shall be one flesh?" (Matthew 19:4-5).

Explain That??? Why doesn't it say the man shall leave is father and mother and cleave to his husband???

May 13, 2013 at 3:51 pm |
    • Madtown

What makes you think he said that?

May 13, 2013 at 3:54 pm |
    • Pete

"Explain That??? "

The writers of the bible were heterosexual and that was their personal perspective. Sexual orientation wasn't even studied till the 19th century.

May 13, 2013 at 3:55 pm |
    • ME II

Explain what?

"shall be one flesh"

Why they aren't merged into some sort of conjoined couple? Siamese matrimony?

May 13, 2013 at 3:58 pm |
    • Atheist Hunter

pete, pete....man lie with man....think again buddy.

May 13, 2013 at 3:59 pm |
    • Athy

Nothing Christ said is known.

May 13, 2013 at 4:15 pm |
  6. Atheist Hunter

"God created man in His own image, male and female created He them" (Genesis 1:27). For us to be male and female is God's plan.

May 13, 2013 at 3:49 pm |
    • ReligionIsBS

"male and female created He"

Well, you got that part right!

May 13, 2013 at 3:51 pm |
    • Madtown

You don't know what God's plan is. He hasn't shared it with us.

May 13, 2013 at 3:51 pm |
    • LOL!

"God created man in His own image"

How do you really know that, you don't So you're god has a dick huh? and a belly button? Eyes, and ears but all the Christians posting here are saying he represents something else. LOL!

May 13, 2013 at 3:52 pm |
    • mama k

Well – you could go back to wearing a large bone through your nose to really get into the role there.

May 13, 2013 at 3:52 pm |
    • Thoth

Man created god(s) in his image; and conjured up all that their version commands...

There, fixed that part for you....

May 13, 2013 at 3:54 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

So does god have a navel?

May 13, 2013 at 3:54 pm |
    • Thoth

also, IF your 'god' created man and woman in 'his' image....well would he (your god) not have to be a hermaphrodite?

May 13, 2013 at 3:56 pm |
    • Steve

And who created the hermaphrodite? Outwardly the hermaphrodite has male and female genitalia. But is the hermaphrodite male or is it female? And how would you know the answer that question? You'd have to ask him or her! And if a mistake of biology can be so severe outwardly – it would also hold that a mistake of biology could be much less severe outwardly as in gay men and women.

To my gay brothers and sister: I do not consider you a mistake of biology, I consider you a gift of biology – but I use this term only for the sake of leading this Christian closer to truth.

May 13, 2013 at 3:59 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

I guess your god really screwed up with the hermaphrodites then huh?

May 13, 2013 at 4:04 pm |
  7. A pilgrim on the journey

Q: Whay are there no atheist in hell?

A: Because the atheist said so.

May 13, 2013 at 3:48 pm |
    • ReligionIsBS

because hell doesnt exist. Why would a loving god allow hell? And why would you be so gullible as to beleive it?

May 13, 2013 at 3:50 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Do have evidence that shows that anybody is in hell? I thought you christians believed that everyone but you goes to hell.

May 13, 2013 at 3:51 pm |
    • lol??

May 13, 2013 at 3:52 pm |
    • ReligionIsBS

"Well RBS, haven't lived much have you?? You have never seen a jealous groom. Oh, that's right, the mommie commies outlawed that emotion and retribution."

I mock almost everyone on here, but I refuse to mock the mentally handicapped. You get a pass!

May 13, 2013 at 3:54 pm |
    • sam stone

because there is no heaven or hell. both were created to fool the gullible

May 13, 2013 at 4:09 pm |
  8. IMeanReally

You're right. It is NOT an oxymoron. No one seems to know what an oxymoron is anymore. Now Gay Bluesman would be an oxymoron. Jumbo shrimp or civil war. BUT not Gay Christian.

May 13, 2013 at 3:47 pm |
    • lol??

But is an oxymoron.

May 13, 2013 at 3:50 pm |
  9. Robert

Regardless of your religious believes or not we would be much better off if people adhered to the following two rules: (1) Do unto others as you would have them do unto you and (2) Judge not lest ye be judged also. In other words, treat everyone the way you want to be treated by them and be careful of your criticism of others. You may open yourself up to criticism from them.

May 13, 2013 at 3:47 pm |
    • UhOh

Robert is a hypocrite since he's already been criticizing gays.

May 13, 2013 at 3:48 pm |
    • mama k

Good ideas. Now how long have gays been judged (and still are as you can clearly see here) on the basis of outdated knowledge about why they are who they are? We got past the idea that the earth is no longer flat, right?

May 13, 2013 at 3:50 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

Your horrendous grammar made my eyes twitch... nice thought though. If only christians would actually follow their own advice, then atheists could stop telling them how evil and closeminded they are.

May 13, 2013 at 3:54 pm |
  10. Bored Boy

I doubt the author will ever read this quote, but your experience (closeted, religious environment) is very familiar to me and alot of other gay men growing up in 20-21st century America. This experience doesn't have to be sad or "morally" dangerous, if you can accept, at the very least, the Christian God is ridiculous and an obvious fable.
    I know you want eternal life and a choir of angels flying around while your soul resides in perpetual bliss. But that is the 2,000 hebrew tale involving an hateful-loving creator, universal ideals of good and bad, and God who made himself a man to kill himselft only to ressurect himself, to undue a curse created by a talking snake tempting a woman to eat a magical apple.
    If you believe all this 'Justin Lee', then you deserve to remain unhapppy in this life and you deserve to believe you will burn forever when you die. If you believe in wishes and magic, and call it 'prayers and miracles' then you are the biggest fool here.

May 13, 2013 at 3:44 pm |
    • lol??

"............the Christian God is ridiculous and an obvious fable..............."

Well, it's easy to see you were given up.

May 13, 2013 at 3:49 pm |
  11. A pilgrim on the journey

Q: What do you get if you cross an atheist with an agnostic?

A: Someone who does not know why they are so angry.

May 13, 2013 at 3:43 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

One can be both...another humor fail...don't quit your day job.

May 13, 2013 at 3:44 pm |
    • ReligionIsBS

What do you get when you steal ideas from a bunch of other reoligions, wrap them up all in a book and tell people they will be in torture for eternity if they dont beleive it? A bunch of cowardly christians.

May 13, 2013 at 3:45 pm |
    • ME II

A. probably a child raised without being forced into a belief and allowed to choose his/her own path in life.

May 13, 2013 at 3:46 pm |
    • Thoth

Wow...genius. Good thing there aren't any stereotypes about Christians to make jokes about all day..... You seem preoccupied with the notion that Atheists are 'angry'; as many religious people like to claim. You must not know very many b/c most I know are quite content with their lives.

May 13, 2013 at 3:47 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

I am angry, not because I am now an atheist, but because I was deceived into believing the christian god was real and now that I have rejected that notion due to lack of any evidence for the claim, somehow I am the liar.

May 13, 2013 at 4:02 pm |
    • sam stone

atheist and agnostic are not mutually exclusive, big mouth

May 13, 2013 at 4:10 pm |
  12. Jon P

By the way, for the record, I'm agnostic.

Some of you are probably more agnostic than atheist.

May 13, 2013 at 3:41 pm |
    • mama k

Most mainstream atheists are quite agnostic.

May 13, 2013 at 3:43 pm |
    • ReligionIsBS

So, which god do you beleive in?

May 13, 2013 at 3:45 pm |
    • lol??

OOOOooooohhh yeah?????????????????

I'm more humble than you are.

May 13, 2013 at 3:46 pm |
    • ME II

I think few people are actually strong/positive atheists.

May 13, 2013 at 3:48 pm |
    • ME II

@Jon P,
      Interestingly though, you christians are more agnostic than you think.

May 13, 2013 at 3:49 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

If I were to try to be an Agnostic, and say, “I just don’t know if there is a god,” I would feel just as silly as saying “I just don’t know if there is a Tooth Fairy.” It’s not so much that we Atheists have ‘faith’ in the lack of gods, but we do have faith that theists accept fallacies as proof, most likely out of fear. This may be the same reason Agnostics will not profess true Atheism (the fear of being wrong). In the literal sense of trusting in evidence, I’m okay with being a faithful Atheist, but my faith is nowhere near the amount of unjustifiable faith required to believe in magical spirits helping us with daily activities.

May 13, 2013 at 3:55 pm |
    • ME II

@Jon P,
      Sorry, somehow didn't see the agnostic part.

May 13, 2013 at 4:01 pm |
    • G to the T

Cheese – I understand your point of view, but change the question a bit. Agnostic – I don't believe we can conclusively prove EITHER way the existence of god(s). Atheist – based on the available evidence, I don't believe there are god(s). 2 different things. All agnotics either live as if they are theists or atheists...

May 13, 2013 at 4:23 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

G to the T,

People want to define agnosticism and atheism as being mutually exclusive, they are not. They answer 2 different questions.

1) Do you BELEIVE in a god. 'Yes' is theism, 'no' is atheism.

2) Do you KNOW for sure there is a god or there is no god. 'Yes' is gnosticism, 'no' is agnosticism.

So there are four possible ways one could be.

1. Agnostic-Theist: believes god exists, but the existence of a god is unknowable
      2. Gnostic-Theist: believes in a god for which he claims knowledge
      3. Agnostic-Atheist: does not believe god exists, but it can't be proved
      4. Gnostic-Atheist: believes it can be proved that god does not exist

May 13, 2013 at 4:36 pm |
  13. lol??

The whole gay garbage wouldn't even be an issue if the A&A's hadn't made the gubmint a god in charge of everything.

May 13, 2013 at 3:40 pm |
    • mama k

Still complaining about what went down with James Madison & TJ, I see. Live in the past forever for all I care. See where that gets you.

May 13, 2013 at 3:45 pm |
    • ME II

Conservative on "gubmint" here.
      I think the government should stay out of most things, include religion and marriage (and especially the bedroom).

May 13, 2013 at 3:52 pm |
  14. mama k

Quite simply, Christianity continues to splinter, become more extreme and is still conflicted over sexuality and sin.

Biology and psychology has become less conflicted that homosexuality is not a "life style".

Many Christians are starting to look more and more ignorant as they ignore facts. There is no nicer way to put this.

May 13, 2013 at 3:40 pm |
    • lol??

Well then don't, mama Konflicted.

May 13, 2013 at 3:41 pm |
    • mama k

solly, lol?? if you're lookin' at the page, you will see my words.

May 13, 2013 at 3:59 pm |
  15. brianeisenmenger

And this is yet another example of the irrelevancy of evangelicals in today's culture. Evangelicals love to bash Catholics yet Catholics are the only Christians willing to call "sin"..."sin". While this man's sin is not any "worse" than my sin, I find no problem calling sin what it truly is.

May 13, 2013 at 3:37 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Sin lies only in harming other unnecessarily.
      All ofther sin is invented nonsense.

May 13, 2013 at 3:38 pm |
    • Jeremiah Hanscroft

Calling Catholics Christian is like saying that Islam is a peaceful religion. Just refresh yourself by reading the Council of Trent. You can also see just how good the new pope is by realizing that he's a high level Jesuit. Look that history up. Salvation is by grace alone, it's a gift of God, with no works from man needed and no intermediary as well. Religion is about man adding and subtracting from God's word, while a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ is what the Bible is all about.

May 13, 2013 at 3:42 pm |
    • Madtown

This man probably has as many sins as any other human being. His gayness is not one of them.

May 13, 2013 at 3:42 pm |
  16. Charles

Love and pray for all sinners, that includes yourself. For Richard Cranium: Why is Darwinian evolution still a theory?

May 13, 2013 at 3:32 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

Look up what "theory" means in the scientific community. Evolution is proved thousands of times each day by genetic information and real live experiments, and that data floods into hundreds of labs across the globe at a rate you and I cannot even comprehend.

May 13, 2013 at 3:34 pm |
    • ME II

@Charles,
      A scientific Theory is a well substantial explanation of how the world works and it uses facts, laws, other theories, etc.
      It does not get promoted to something else.

May 13, 2013 at 3:36 pm |
    • Thoth

'Gravity' is also a theory; learn to understand scientific nomenclature.

May 13, 2013 at 3:36 pm |
    • ME II

@Charles,
      While I suspect that was a rhetorical question. Thanks for asking.

May 13, 2013 at 3:38 pm |
    • ReligionIsBS

"Why is Darwinian evolution still a theory?"

LOL! The same reason gravity is still a threory. Someone doesnt know what theory means!

May 13, 2013 at 3:47 pm |
    • ReligionIsBS

Charles, for entertainment for the educated, please share with us what you think the next step is for a theory. Do you think a theory can graduate to something else? I would love to know what you think this word is.

May 13, 2013 at 3:48 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

Charles.
      Evolution is still called a theory as it is not 100% proven, we are still learning...how do we know when we know 100% of it?
      It is accepted for all practical purposes as fact and more confirms it daily.
      You do not understand what a scientific theory is.

May 13, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
  17. Alice

At issue is not whether you are "gay" but whether you are living in unrepentant sin.

May 13, 2013 at 3:28 pm |
    • ME II

But apparently is not possible to not sin and therefore not possible to truly repent and therefore it doesn't matter.

May 13, 2013 at 3:30 pm |
    • mama k

. . . and which of the over 40,000 sects of Christianity you are following as an interpretation for a particular "sin".

May 13, 2013 at 3:31 pm |
    • lol??

Why should Qweirdos repent?? They've been given up.

May 13, 2013 at 3:32 pm |
    • Madtown

but whether you are living in unrepentant sin
      ---
      Alice, this isn't for you to speculate about, or judge. Live your life. Allow others to live theirs. You aren't God, and you don't know what God thinks.

May 13, 2013 at 3:32 pm |
    • .

When you judge others constantly, you are going againmst the word of Jesus and God constantly. Enjoy hell, Alice.

May 13, 2013 at 3:32 pm |
    • Atheist Hunter

Amen! If we have Gay Christians, why not lying Christians, stealing Christians, Beastiality Christians, Pedophile Christians, Murdering Christians, etc. etc. Alice is right it's a matter of repentance, not the sin you struggle with. We all struggle with some type of sin from time to time but we don't embrace it and try to morph it and call it a holy accepted Christian lifestyle.

May 13, 2013 at 3:33 pm |
    • mama k

And this will continue to be a huge problem, AH with Xtianity, because with this particular issue, many Christians are ignoring what science is telling us about the basics of who gay people are by nature.

May 13, 2013 at 3:35 pm |
    • Madtown

call it a holy accepted Christian lifestyle
      ----–
      Being gay is no more a "lifestyle", than is being left-handed. It's a characteristic of who you are, how you were made.

May 13, 2013 at 3:35 pm |
    • Atheist Hunter

Don't listen to them Alice! You keep up the good fight! Little do they know that you are waring for their very souls! Jesus Christ, paul, Moses, etc. etc. all spoke out against sin. That is what God expects you to do. Their twisted definition of judging others if all they have. It's not judging. It's called loving them enough to speak the truth when truth is unpopular an hated. God Bless you Alice!!!

May 13, 2013 at 3:36 pm |
    • Dave

Irrelevent, Alice, since we are ALL sinners, always sinning no matter what we do or how hard we try, we can never even come close to being righteous. You can repent day in and day out, but you STILL are living a sinful life, Alice,. yes even you.

May 13, 2013 at 3:37 pm |
    • .

Thayt botched abortion lol?? and Atheist Cunter are two of the worst "Christians" ever to breathe. Lol's little "Qweirdo" epithet (becaiuse the fu</bck is too cowardly to say exactly what it feels) earns lol the name "cunt of the century". And this century isn't that old. Wish God would use one of his premptive strikes and burn that bitch to a crisp. It gets more repulsive by the day.

May 13, 2013 at 3:39 pm |
    • lol??

Dothade, you wouldn't talk to Mrs. Cleaver that way.

May 13, 2013 at 3:44 pm |
    • Atheist Hunter

Angry little . aren't you.

May 13, 2013 at 3:45 pm |
    • sam stone

No, the issue is accepting anyone else's definition of what "sin" is

May 13, 2013 at 4:13 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

By alice's and AH thinking, Hitler, if repentant, went to heaven.

I want no part of your god if that happened, but according to your book, it is possible, even likely considering his history.

Christianity is in itself immoral...allowing someone else to take your just punishment is not allowed in society, but christianity is based on it.

May 13, 2013 at 4:32 pm |
  18. shawn

Actually Christian-Christian is an oxymoron.

May 13, 2013 at 3:28 pm |
    • mama k

May 13, 2013 at 3:32 pm |
  19. Buk Lau

OMG THE WRITER OF THIS ARTICLE IS LEX LUTHOR

May 13, 2013 at 3:25 pm |
    • mama k

lol – I did think that for a moment at first.

May 13, 2013 at 3:33 pm |
    • His panic

omG! 😀 😀 that's right! Superman got married to Lois Lane. So Luthor was the gay one. 😀

May 13, 2013 at 3:38 pm |
  20. Jon P

Believing in God or believing in the non-existence of God requires the same amount of faith as neither can be proven or disproven through scientific means. Therefore, atheism is nothing but another "religious-like" belief. Somebody could very well create an atheist church one day...if it doesn't already exist.

I leave it to you all to attempt to define what is a sin under these conditions.

My humble opinion...

May 13, 2013 at 3:24 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

Wrong.

It makes much more sense to withhold belief on things that are invisible and undetectable. Which is a more reasonable statement:

A. Unicorns exist
      B. I lack belief in unicorns

May 13, 2013 at 3:27 pm |
    • ME II

Many atheists consider Atheism to simply be a lack of belief in god(s), not necessarily a belief that there are no gods.

May 13, 2013 at 3:28 pm |
    • Erlo

What are you taking about? There is not 'faith' needed to not believe in God. It's just common sense to do so. If you truely believe in a magic man in the sky you have issues. Serious issues. We need to get rid of religion and move on as religion is still destroying productivity and progress in this world. Your ignorance is astonishing.

May 13, 2013 at 3:29 pm |
    • .

Bull. Shit. Did you thionk this was clever and witty when you typed it out?

May 13, 2013 at 3:30 pm |
    • Jon P

Guys, just try to prove that God does not exist scientifically and you will fail. Just to draw a parralel...just try to prove that other universes don't exist and you will fail. The existence or non-existence of something must be proven by scientific means either way. The scientific method requires that you formulate a hypothesis first and then prove it.

So guys, please state your hypothesis first.

May 13, 2013 at 3:35 pm |
    • Jon P

By the way, for the record, I'm agnostic.

Some of you are probably more agnostic than atheist.

May 13, 2013 at 3:42 pm |
    • .

Saying one doesn't believe in gods isn't the same thing as trying to prove/disprove. Man, you are stupid.

May 13, 2013 at 3:45 pm |
    • ReligionIsBS

Under Jon P's logic, anyhitng that can be thought of is automatically real! Cant disprove it? REAL!

Unicorns. REAL
      Boogy Man. REAL
      Thor. REAL
      Mithra. REAL
      Bigfoot. REAL.
      Invisible flying monkeys orbiting the moon. REAL.

Nice logic Jon!

May 13, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
    • Jon P

You got me wrong @ReligionIsBS. Under this logic, anything that can be thought of cannot be labelled as real or or unreal until proven. Hence, a thought experiment starts as a theory that will be proven eventually. Just like Einstein's thought experiments were viewed as "unreal" by some of his peers when he first exposed his theories. Then, by gathering evidence over time, he finally proved some of his previously "unreal" suggestions.

That being said, I don't suggest you waste your time trying to prove "flying monkeys" until you find at least some incomplete or indirect evidence of their existence.

May 13, 2013 at 5:13 pm |