home
RSS
May 11th, 2013

My Take: ‘Gay Christian’ is not an oxymoron

Editor’s note: Justin Lee is the Executive Director of the Gay Christian Network and author of Torn: Rescuing the Gospel from the Gays-vs.-Christians Debate.

By Justin Lee, Special to CNN

(CNN)–In high school, I was a Christian know-it-all.

My nickname was "God boy," and I was known for regularly preaching at my friends about social issues of the day. I dismissed their objections - and accusations of homophobia - as intolerance for my faith.

"I'm just telling you what God's Word says," I'd argue.

Years later I realized my mistake. What my peers most objected to wasn't my beliefs - it was my condescending attitude. I debated and preached when I should have listened. I thought that stating my position loudly and unyieldingly was a sign of strength. In the process, I alienated my friends.

I'm still an evangelical Christian, but one thing is now crystal clear to me. American evangelicals' bad reputation isn't just because of what we believe. It's mostly because of how we behave.

When ESPN commentator Chris Broussard was criticized for saying that openly gay NBA player Jason Collins was “openly rebelling against God,” some evangelicals argued that conservative theological views are no longer tolerated in America.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

But they're missing the point.

Broussard's language didn't just express a religious view about sexual morality; it referred to gay people in ways that were dehumanizing, reducing all gay people's lives to a single sex act. Other outspoken Christians routinely say even worse things, comparing gay people to pedophiles, for example.

No one is immune from criticism in a free country with diverse beliefs. But if Christians feel particularly singled out at times, I'd argue that our perceived lack of empathy for others is largely to blame.

I can often test a Christian's level of empathy by offering a single admission: When I was 18, I realized that I'm gay.

Empathetic Christians are typically intrigued by such a statement, even if they also question how a conservative Southern Baptist could also be openly gay. They want to know about my struggles, how my family and church responded, and whether I ever feel my faith and sexuality are at odds with one another.

I love these questions, because they show that the other person genuinely sees me as a human being.

But far too often, Christians respond not with curiosity and questions but with politics and preaching.

They quote Bible passages at me, make assumptions about my faith, or tell me why they’re opposed to same-sex marriage.

I'm no longer a person to them; I'm a symbol of a culture war. A battlefield. And when I don't want to be treated that way, they assume I'm turning away because I didn't really want to hear the truth.

This kind of behavior is why so many of my LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) friends want nothing to do with the church.

But it's not only them.

In my book, "Torn: Rescuing the Gospel from the Gays-vs.-Christians Debate," I share the story of Cindy, a conservative evangelical mom whose life was thrown into turmoil when her son told her he was gay.

This wasn't a political question for Cindy; it was a personal one. But the dehumanizing rhetoric about gay people she heard from the pulpit made her afraid to talk to anyone at church about her son's sexuality.

Christians are not a monolithic group. I know many empathetic Christians, including many who speak up regularly for their LGBT brothers and sisters.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The loudest megaphones do not speak for the rest of us, but they are still loud, and legion. To them I say: Gay people are not an issue. We're people. Some of us are Christians, too. And if it disturbs you that I refer to myself as both gay and Christian, I invite you to take the time to get to know me, and read what I write. You don't have to agree, and you might think I’m a sinner, but at least you’ll see me as a human being.

Baptist minister and author Tony Campolo quips that Jesus entreated Christians not to "love the sinner and hate the sin," but to "love the sinner and hate your own sin."

Jesus saved his harshest words for the self-righteously devout and chose the outcasts and sinners as his closest friends.

Perhaps a lesson in Jesus-style humility might do us all some good.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Justin Lee.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Homosexuality • Opinion

soundoff (3,629 Responses)
  1. TheRationale

Christianity is becoming more and more like "spirituality" every day. It's more about whatever people want it to be than what any book or history says. The massive distribution of opinions on the topic with everyone claiming the truth and NOBODY trying to figure out who actually has it speaks volumes to the fact that the whole thing is a charade.

May 15, 2013 at 2:31 pm |
    • Taskent

Hey, you aren't supposed to tell the crowds what the emporer isn't wearing.

Right on, TheRationale.

May 15, 2013 at 2:47 pm |
    • Taskent

*emperor*

May 15, 2013 at 2:48 pm |
    • Burn the witch

Yes I agree..but they are a hated minority, so we must make sure to figure out what one is in order to hate them sufficiently. It seems far too many are not a true Scotsma..er I mean Christian.

May 15, 2013 at 4:09 pm |
    • Burn the Witch

OOps I meant burn the christian...same Idea wrong century.

May 15, 2013 at 4:12 pm |
    • HeavenSent

There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof [are] the ways of death.

Proverbs 14:12

Amen.

May 15, 2013 at 4:57 pm |
  2. Canaan

There is no place so dark that God's love cannot reach, there is no soul that God's cannot touch, there is no bondage that God cannot free. God's sovereign love reaches out to all mankind.

His provision for redemption is available to all those that seek him earnestly and in truth.

May 15, 2013 at 2:16 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

Or
      Men made god...men made all gods. Thousands of them.
      We have never seen any evidence of any of them.

Join us in reality.

May 15, 2013 at 2:36 pm |
    • tallulah13

There is no proof that your god or any god actually exists. You have chosen a culturally-approved path that makes you feel better about your failings and your mortality. Rational people are comforted by the truth, not by religious fairy tales.

May 15, 2013 at 2:39 pm |
    • Ken

Canaan
      "There is no place so dark that God's love cannot reach,"
      He sure doesn't appear to like the light of reason, however. Wherever that's around he just seems to disappear.

May 15, 2013 at 2:44 pm |
    • sam stone

Is this the same god who set up the entrapment to begin with, canaan?

May 15, 2013 at 3:13 pm |
    • Susan StoHelit

I've known many who sought him earnestly and in truth – and the more of the Bible they read, the more they sought him – the more they found the proof that he's not real. To claim all those who don't believe as you do just didn't try hard enough is really offensive to a great many people who tried with all their heart and soul to retain a fading faith – and finally had to face the truth – that they just didn't believe in it.

May 15, 2013 at 4:00 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Ephesians 2:1-3

Amen.

May 15, 2013 at 4:59 pm |
  3. His panic

It looks to me like the HIV AIDS Panic 25 years ago, was not enough for the anti-natural weirdos to mind their ways. Those who trust in God and in Jesus Christ God's only Son will not Panic. All others will Panic including animals, atheists and Ho-mos.

May 15, 2013 at 2:15 pm |
    • TC

What panic?

Really, the only folks panicing are those that hate and fear gay folks. All that tolerance and equality stuff.

May 15, 2013 at 2:18 pm |
    • tallulah13

It looks like 25 years of science and knowledge has failed to make a dent in your ignorance, Panic. Not that it matters. The rest of the world moved on while christians like you had your heads buried in the sand.

May 15, 2013 at 2:42 pm |
    • Saraswati

Given that who've only ever slept with other women have the lowest HIV rates I think we're mostly good here, thank you. God must be telling us something.

May 15, 2013 at 2:47 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Mutated strain ring true to anyone?

May 15, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
  4. Gay Marriage Watch

A new Washington Post poll reported yesterday shows, for the question,

"Do you think it should be legal or illegal for gay couples to get married?",

56% of Virginians answered legal – an increase of ten percent on the same question and answer from the same poll two years ago.

The state, birthplace to eight U.S. presidents is adjacent to Maryland and the District of Columbia where same-sex marriage is already legal.

May 15, 2013 at 12:55 pm |
    • Salero21

So... the US of A is one with Sodom and Gomorrah?

May 15, 2013 at 2:10 pm |
    • Saraswati

Amazingly enough education does make a difference. With all the info out there now you have to really want to be ingnorant on this topic to stay that way.

May 15, 2013 at 2:34 pm |
    • Science

Hey f Sara sally too...............the birds of a feather !

How did feathers evolve? – Carl Zimmer

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPLgfGX1I5Y&w=640&h=360]

May 15, 2013 at 3:30 pm |
    • Saraswati

@Science, That's a nice video with a quick summary of information that wasn't available when many of us grew up.

May 15, 2013 at 4:58 pm |
    • Science

Thanks ............wounder if Chadie will get IT !

Peace

Only takes a little over 3 minutes.

May 15, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
    • Science

Forgot mention Sara...........................Chadie/rachel .................is doing the POKLA on a couple of threads tonight.

May 15, 2013 at 6:08 pm |
    • Saraswati

it will be interesting if this doesn't end up following the expected north/ south line. So far on the east coast we're practically looking at the civil war and segregation division so far.

May 15, 2013 at 11:13 pm |
    • lol??

Why don't they ask an intelligent question??

May 16, 2013 at 1:39 am |
  5. Biennale

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LnEYy98KTI&w=640&h=360]

May 15, 2013 at 11:05 am |
    • Yes God exists

He dwells within us. Debating it does not change the fact he's there.

Read your bible science, you know it's the right thing to do.

May 16, 2013 at 1:03 am |
    • Science

Yes God exists...................no it does not................................by the way did NOT post video !!!

All the info can be read at kinks below.

Recent search Chadie and faith...........you too HS................the devil got you by the tail ?........not mine !

Front page there too billie and chadie

May 16, 2013 at 9:51 am |
    • Science

Oops..............links

May 16, 2013 at 9:53 am |
  6. Saraswati

I can't reply to Gay Marriage Watch, but wanted to add that there's interesting stuff happening in Taiwan, Vietnam and Nepal as well as a few other Asian countries probably worth adding to the list.

May 15, 2013 at 10:44 am |
    • Science

Hey Sara.................what can't they understand ?

Hey Bobie and As-stin Chad/rachel l4h fred Robert Brown loony bethany kev bx fred topher etc etc All creationists and ID believers ........................

Was the bible around back then .................bible thumpers ?

Human Y Chromosome Much Older Than Previously Thought

Mar. 4, 2013 — The discovery and analysis of an extremely rare African American Y chromosome pushes back the time of the most recent common ancestor for the Y chromosome lineage tree to 338,000 years ago. This time predates the age of the oldest known anatomically modern human fossils.

No god(s) needed or required to graduate from public schools in the US

Remember : Adam had to POKE himself hard with his OWN BONE to create Eve.

Peace

March 11, 2013 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |

May 15, 2013 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |

Messed-Up Bible Stories – 2 – Adam and Eve

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRGnPIlclps&w=640&h=360]

Evolving Genes Lead to Evolving Genes: Selection in European Populations of Genes Regulated by FOXP2

Apr. 18, 2013 — Researchers have designed a method that can universally test for evolutionary adaption, or positive (Darwinian) selection, in any chosen set of genes, using re-sequencing data such as that generated by the 1000 Genomes Project. The method identifies gene sets that show evidence for positive selection in comparison with matched controls, and thus highlights genes for further functional studies.

Peace

BedVrooooom.............and the red devil................not funny !

May 15, 2013 at 10:54 am |
  7. DJ

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f99cTgT5mg&w=640&h=360]
    Enjoy!

May 15, 2013 at 10:41 am |
  8. Gay Marriage Watch

Same-se-x marriage in the U.S.

Done deal: Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington & the District of Columbia.

Who's next?
    Illinois: Gov. Pat Quinn called on the Illinois House to send him legislation to legalize gay marriage, saying lawmakers had plenty of time to make up their mind on the issue. The state Senate passed the measure on Valentine's Day, and the governor has said he's ready to sign it.

New Jersey: Gov. Christie doesn't seem to be against gay marriage coming from a ballot measure, but has stated in the past he would veto such a change from legislators. This was his stance before the President changed his views. If Christie reconsiders, NJ could be sooner than expected.

California: It seems gay marriage will be in CA soon one way or the other. This is because polls show a much larger support for gay marriage than when Prop 8 was passed. So even if the upcoming SCOTUS case were to fail, it would likely be put to voters there very soon again.

Hawaii: Already has some good laws on the books evidently, and although things have been put on hold until after 2013, legislators there are attempting to speed up the process.

==========================
    Let's see around the globe:

Done deal: Argentina, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Iceland, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Uruguay, & portions of Brazil.

In the works:

France: Has already passed same-se-x marriage bill in both houses; president intends to sign; right-wing party plans to challenge in the Consti tutional Council to try to force a delay on enactment.

Germany: On 22 March 2013 the Bundesrat passed an initiative to open marriage to same-se-x couples, which now moves onto the Bundestag for approval.

Ireland: On 14 April 2013 as part of the Consti tutional Convention a measure voted in favour of same-se-x marriage by a margin of 79 percent.

UK: On 5 February 2013, the House of Commons debated the Marriage (Same Se-x Couples) Bill and approved it in a 400–175 vote at the second reading. (Third reading to be scheduled.)

Finland: 03-19-2013: The citizens' initiative overrides the committee's decision, and thus the bill must now be considered by the Parliament.

Brazil: In November 2012, the Court of Bahia legalized same-se-x marriage in the state of Bahia. In December 2012, the state of São Paulo legalized same-se-x marriage. More Brazilian states are considering measures.

Luxembourg: On 6 February 2013, the Chamber's justice committee agreed to approve the measure opening marriage for same-se-x couples. On 20 February, the committee initially backed the right to simple adoption for same-se-x couples. On 6 March 2013, the committee confirmed that position.

Australia: lower house MP will seek to have his Marriage Equality Amendment Bill brought for an immediate vote in the House on June 6.

Mexico: rulings due this summer.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TBd-UCwVAY&w=640&h=360]

May 15, 2013 at 10:34 am |
  9. mama k

I see from some of the comments and questions that some still don't have a basic education about homosexuality. Muslims lead the way as having the most uneducated, disenfranchising stance toward gays. But many Christians are not far behind. Just last week CNN reported some gays being arrested in Zambia which is a predominantly Christian nation.

Christianity has always been conflicted on social issues, but this current hot topic really highlights the extremism within Christianity. One sect calls homosexuality an abomination while the next one (over four million members) in the same denomination is already performing gay marriage. Thomas Jefferson hit the nail on the head over 200 years ago:

Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth.

(from Notes on the State of Virginia, 1785)

Some claim that Christianity and science are not incompatible, yet we find many who continue to ignore current scientific knowledge on the issue of homosexuality. Is the problem poor education, steadfastness to one's own flavor of biblical interpretation, or both?

Whatever your religion, whatever your belief, with gay marriage coming quickly to the U.S., now is the time to at least have a basic education about homosexuality.

The following is long, but note the quote from Professor MIchael King below in the section on psychology.
    =================================================================
    Psychology

The American Psychological Association states "there are probably many reasons for a person's sexual orientation and the reasons may be different for different people", and says most people's sexual orientation is determined at an early age. Research into how sexual orientation in males may be determined by genetic or other prenatal factors plays a role in political and social debates about homosexuality, and also raises concerns about genetic profiling and prenatal testing."

Professor Michael King states: "The conclusion reached by scientists who have investigated the origins and stability of sexual orientation is that it is a human characteristic that is formed early in life, and is resistant to change. Scientific evidence on the origins of homosexuality is considered relevant to theological and social debate because it undermines suggestions that sexual orientation is a choice."

The Royal College of Psychiatrists stated in 2007:

"Despite almost a century of psychoanalytic and psychological speculation, there is no substantive evidence to support the suggestion that the nature of parenting or early childhood experiences play any role in the formation of a person's fundamental heterosexual or homosexual orientation. It would appear that sexual orientation is biological in nature, determined by a complex interplay of genetic factors and the early uterine environment. Sexual orientation is therefore not a choice."

Biology

The following is from the article:

Homosexuality ultimately a result of gene regulation, researchers find (12/11/2012 – LiveScience)

[ The search for a "gay gene" may be off-target, new research finds. Another process called epigenetics that switches genes on and off may explain why homosexuality runs in families.

Epigenetics are heritable changes caused by factors other than DNA. Instead of traits getting passed down through the genes, epigenetic change happens because of the way genes are regulated, or turned on and off.

These genetic regulators may be the reason homosexuality persists in nature despite the fact that gay people are less likely to reproduce, suggests the new study published in the journal The Quarterly Review of Biology.

"These things have evolved because they're good for the parents, but they sometimes, not [with] high frequency, but sometimes carry over" into offspring, study researcher William Rice, an evolutionary geneticist at the University of California, Santa Barbara, told LiveScience. In a male fetus, Rice and his colleagues write, an epigenetic change that benefited the mother may lead to "feminization" of sexual preference — homo- or bisexuality. The same may be true for epigenetic changes passed down by dad to a female fetus. (The terms feminization and masculinization of sexual preference refer to sexual orientation only — not to physical or personality traits of the offspring.)

The findings add to past research suggesting gay men haven't died out, because female relatives of gay men tend to have more children on average than other females. The study researchers specifically found that two genes passed on through the maternal line could produce this effect.

Hormones, epigenetics and orientation

Rice and his colleagues focused on epi-marks, which are molecular changes that act like temporary "switches" to turn genes on and off. If a gene is a blueprint, the epi-mark is the construction foreman who makes sure the product gets built. An epi-mark also determines when, where and how much a gene is expressed, according to the National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis.

These molecular switches are usually erased very early in the developmental process, but they can be passed down from generation to generation, too, Rice said.

Some epi-marks are particularly important during fetal development, when they promote normal physical development in the sexes despite natural variations in testosterone during pregnancy. Researchers know that fetal exposure to too much testosterone can masculinize the genitals, brain or behavior of a genetically female fetus. Likewise, too little testosterone can make a genetically male fetus more feminized.

But here's the catch: There's lots of overlap between the levels of testosterone male and female fetuses get exposed to. That means there must be another side to the story, Rice and his colleagues wrote.

That side appears to be epigenetics, Rice said.

"Early in development, we think these epi-marks are laid down so that girl fetuses will be relatively insensitive to testosterone and male fetuses will be relatively sensitive to testosterone," Rice said.

Biological behavior

Thus, if an epi-mark that kept a mother from getting exposed to high testosterone in development gets passed on to her son — the opposite sex — it could desensitize him to testosterone, contributing to his sexual preference for men. Similarly, if a male-specific epi-mark from dad gets passed to a daughter, it could "masculinize" her sexual preference, making her more interested in women.

These findings could explain why twin studies show that homosexuality runs in families, but no "gay gene" can be found, Rice said. In identical twins, there's about a 20 percent chance that if one twin is gay, the other will be too. If genetic change were responsible for homosexuality, you'd expect a much higher match, Rice said. Epigenetics, however, can explain the heritability without the need for a specific genetic change.

The hypothesis could be tested by examining epigenetic marks in parents of kids with gay versus straight offspring, Rice said. There are, of course, concerns that this knowledge could be used by parents who want to avoid gay offspring, Rice said, but that concern already exists around certain hormonal conditions in utero, which are known to contribute to an increased chance of offspring being lesbians.

"That cat's already out of the bag," Rice said. He added that an understanding of the biological underpinnings of homosexuality could help emphasize that same-sex behavior is not "unnatural."

"In fact, it's a major part of the natural world," Rice said. Fourteen percent of Western gulls raise chicks in female-female pairs, he pointed out. And 8 percent of male sheep show zero interest in fertile ewes, but get sexually excited by other rams. ]
    =================================================================

May 15, 2013 at 10:31 am |
  10. Professor Peter Millican | The God Debate | Oxford Union

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcHRRjsttOc&w=640&h=360]

May 15, 2013 at 10:29 am |
  11. Mordecai

The power of God can break through all strongholds, it has the power to heal, restore and rejuvenate souls. As sinners we are called to repentance and to accept the grace that comes only from Him.There is then no condemnation for those that have accepted the grace and have acknowledged their sins and want to live a spiritual life. The path that you have chosen Lee is not an easy one, as the flesh constantly struggles , that is why seeking God continually for guidance is very important in all situations. Prayer is the key to help you with your struggles.

May 15, 2013 at 10:17 am |
    • sam stone

free people do not need salvation

May 15, 2013 at 10:57 am |
    • According to the bible, prayer cannot do anything

If god's supreme plan rules in the heavens then prayer is useless. If you pray for something that's not in the plan it won't happen, no matter how hard you pray. And if you pray for something in the plan, it would have happened anyway even without your prayer.

If god gives us free will then no matter how hard you pray god refuses to do anything, like not doing anything for the 6m Jews because that would interfere with Hitler’s free will

May 15, 2013 at 1:20 pm |
    • Ak-Haru Kenaustin Ardenol

"Hardening" the "heart" of Ramses2 means there is no reason for Christians to think they have free will.
      The Bible contradicts itself in several places regarding free will / determinism.
      The Pharaoh thing is just one of them.
      Hundreds of contradictions about hundreds of things in the Bible.
      As a guide to life, it is worthless.

May 16, 2013 at 1:29 am |
  12. Neal Dakota

This thread is evidence we have lost all respect for each other.

May 15, 2013 at 10:08 am |
    • LinCA

@Neal Dakota

You said, "This thread is evidence we have lost all respect for each other."
      Certain positions and beliefs deserve no respect.

May 15, 2013 at 10:18 am |
    • Neal Dakota

Historically speaking, defeatist statements have never aided public discourse.

May 15, 2013 at 10:36 am |
    • tallulah13

Historically speaking, very few cultural revolutions have changed the world without at least a rhetorical fight.

May 15, 2013 at 2:44 pm |
    • Garbage Alert

"This thread is evidence we have lost all respect for each other.

Garbage Alert and lies. The person who wrote this hasn't been married long and is still in school. It's pure opinion not based on facts.

May 15, 2013 at 2:52 pm |
    • Ak-Haru Kenaustin Ardenol

Who is this lying sack of shlt who says I don't respect others? I have no respect for lying sacks of shlt.
      Ironic, isn't it.

May 16, 2013 at 1:31 am |
  13. faith

god hating nazi fascists try to mock christians for worshiping that which has no factual basis. these complete morons' very existence depends entirely on the one they hate!

May 15, 2013 at 9:31 am |
    • sam stone

you+shotgun = jeebus

May 15, 2013 at 1:08 pm |

All of the WWII nazi fascists were christian

May 15, 2013 at 1:28 pm |
    • G to the T

Debate rule #432 – First person to call the other side "nazi" loses.

May 17, 2013 at 12:44 pm |
  14. Honey Badger Don't Care!

A gay xtian may not be an oxymoron, just a moron. In the face of passages like:

"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

For the same reason there should be no women or black xtians either. But hey, delusion is as delusion does. If you can fool yourself into believing that a god exists then you can rationalize anything.

May 15, 2013 at 8:29 am |
    • Self examination

Look at yourself, desperately railing for control over what was never yours to control t begin with...other people's minds.
      You start with insults, then add law suits..what's next? I hate to ask.

May 15, 2013 at 8:32 am |
    • faith

this is the logic for which Nazi fascist god hating godicists r known

May 15, 2013 at 9:22 am |
    • Ken

If the history of Christianity is any indication, the only requirement for being able to call oneself a "Christian" is to say that you follow the teachings of Jesus, to some degree. Inquisitors, martyrs, ordinary working people, dictators, patriots, traitors, terrorists, the giving, the tolerant, bigots, kings, explorers, chauvinists, feminists, scientists, creationists, crusaders, owners of slaves, those who would have slaves freed, and many others have all claimed to be Christians. It's a very, very, very wide umbrella.

May 15, 2013 at 10:21 am |
    • derp

"this is the logic for which Nazi fascist god hating godicists r known"

The Nazi's were fanatical Christians.

Do you really think they gassed jews, atheists, and gays because they were godless?

May 15, 2013 at 12:37 pm |
    • Saraswati

A lot of US Christians do not believe in the inerrancy or the Bible. Once that's dropped they actually have a good bit of flexibility.

May 15, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
    • Susan StoHelit

Funny how you ignore Leviticus when it requires you to avoid mixed cloth clothing, shellfish, and women exiting their homes while on their period – but you're all over it when it comes to something you disagree with. A sure sign your religion is for your convenience only, when you are willing to ignore huge chunks of it like that.

May 15, 2013 at 4:22 pm |
    • Heathen Mike

Honey Badger, I think I understand the urge to want to blast Chris-tianity for all the harm done in its name. And the fact that I understand the paradigm to be fantasy makes it tempting to want to just be rid of it. But it seems counter-productive to me to spend our vitriol on the Chris-tians who are not hateful about it. Justin Lee seems to be sincerely trying to reconcile his s3xual identi-ty with a faith system that, for personal reasons, is dear to him. I didn't throw out my Chris-tian beliefs suddenly one day just because some Atheist called me an idiot. Respectfully questioning interpretations or persepectives of specific metaphysical questions seems more likely to open someone to the possibility that maybe their belief system could do with some revisions. I eventually threw out the whole Chris-tian paradigm, but only after I felt safe enough to honestly ask the tough questions of it. And my real "beef" is with hate-filled bible-thumpers who want to disenfranchise me and others they don't like. Respectful Christians who practice principles of respect and love and avoiding judgment, they deserve respect in return. Let's give Justin Lee a chance.

May 15, 2013 at 11:48 pm |
    • Ak-Haru Kenaustin Ardenol

How can we give Justin Lee a chance when he has already blown it? (no pun intended)
      He shows himself to be a severely schizophrenic masochist who also happens to be gay.
      How can we respect insanity? Shall we honor suicide bombers also? You make no sense.

May 16, 2013 at 1:35 am |
    • Mark From Middle River

Who is this "we". I have been on this blog for year or two and I have noticed that rabid Atheist are no different in their closed mindedness as Fred Phelps of Westburo or even the late Bin Laden. If you look at your post, how different are you from the most hate-filled Christian, Muslim or even Jewish Westbank settler.

I get it, some person of Faith told you off in the past and you want to get back at all of us as a whole. That's stupid and guess what, if you just want to flame then ok, declare yourself a troll and go fishing for other trolls. Just leave Justin alone, you look silly in your attack.

May 16, 2013 at 1:51 am |
    • Ak-Haru Kenaustin Ardenol

@Mark
      Funny how you say I am closed-minded when you describe your close-mindedness in the next breath.
      Have you given me anything worth considering? No.
      If you have something I should consider, why don't you share it with us?
      It is you who have failed to provide anything for me to be close-minded about or even show that I have refused to consider anything anywhere that anyone has said to me.
      You must get a lot of "F"s in school. You sure aren't up to thinking very clearly, that's for sure.

May 16, 2013 at 7:50 am |
  15. saggyroy

The Sistine chapel, painted by a gay guy is one of the Catholic churches most prized possessions. If the church is so amti-gay, why don't they paint over it?

May 15, 2013 at 6:02 am |
    • A. Young

people who believe in God don't think, and they don't know. They don't even know the history behind their own religions ...no decent person could believe in any of these Gods Christian, Muslim, Hindu etc. its all so ridiculous and child like.

May 15, 2013 at 6:25 am |
    • lol??

wiki sayz,

"...............A chapel is a religious place of fellowship, prayer and worship – most often associated with interfaith worship services............." That makes it an antichrist structure. Interfaith implies more than one faith and that's false.

"Eph 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,"

You want Christians to tear down the Egyptian pyramids, too?? No thanks.

May 15, 2013 at 8:43 am |
    • faith

yo idiot, y is it your business who is gay?

May 15, 2013 at 9:24 am |
    • Saraswati

They aren't opposed to anything produced by anyone they consider a sinner. I think that oversimplifies their position. If that were the case they'd have to knock down every church, because I doubt they actually recruit a bunch of saints for the design and construction.

May 15, 2013 at 2:41 pm |
  16. Anna

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY9qx5OuKGY&w=640&h=360]

May 15, 2013 at 5:20 am |
  17. Filthy Hind I love to Mithrism lick and talk Islam bunk

You can get over Christianity. It's all bullsh1t.
    An ancient angry deity who needed someone to die so he could feel better.
    What a complete joke.
    Jebus did nothing that the 20 or so other apocalyptic preachers didn't do. Miracles, healings, rising from the grave.
    The Jews did not believe in immortality. Neither did Jesus, or Saul of Tarsus. The entire cult is built on ignorance of the Near East's ancient culture.

May 15, 2013 at 3:44 am |
    • lol??

"..............to die so he could feel better..........." That sounds like Athena and the educratists talk.

unfacts + feelings= philosophy

May 15, 2013 at 8:48 am |
    • Filthy Hind I love to Mithrism lick and talk Islam bunk

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

If it were really a god, it could have just accomplished the result without being subject to a "system", which required the death.
      That is no god.

May 15, 2013 at 9:10 am |
    • lol??

Perfect judgment requires a perfect payment for the guilty.

May 15, 2013 at 9:27 am |
    • G to the T

"Perfect judgement" from a being that supposed set it all up, knew what was going to happen and somehow, couldn't find a better way to do it so he sacrificed himself to himself...

Makes perfect sense!

May 15, 2013 at 11:18 am |
    • Filthy Hind I love to Mithrism lick and talk Islam bunk

Wrong. "Perfect judgement" only proves your god is subject to a a human logic system.
      1. What seems "perfect" to one, is not to another. There is no *absolute* perfection. No one can agree what that is.
      2. Nice try. Your god is an a$$ hole, and a very uncreative one at that.

May 16, 2013 at 12:17 am |
    • faith

"Filthy Hind I love to Mithrism lick and talk Islam bunk
      2. Nice try. Your god is an a$$ hole, and a very uncreative one at that."

thanks man. now i understand. appreciate you clarifying this matter

May 16, 2013 at 12:40 am |
    • faith

2. Nice try. Your god is an a$$ hole, and a very uncreative one at that.

god is not an azz hole, moron. he don't exist! lol

stupid idiot dodo

May 16, 2013 at 2:15 am |
  18. GOOD NEWS

You CAN get over it, and GOD absolutely WILL Help.

UNIVERSAL MAGNIFICENT MIRACLES

May 15, 2013 at 3:31 am |
    • Richard Cranium

Get over what? You think someone can "get over" being gay?

You need to get over your religion...religion is a choice, h0m0$exuality isn't.

May 15, 2013 at 8:37 am |
    • lol??

How 'bout passover?? Somebody passed, call the undertaker.

May 15, 2013 at 8:51 am |
    • tallulah13

Good news! You can get over your ignorance with education! All you have to do is honestly question and research the reasons why you believe what you do.

May 15, 2013 at 2:47 pm |
  19. faith

kristen wiig played a character on snl whose specialty in life was to outdo everyone on the set, no matter what they did, wiig did it better, more of it, greater quality. we all no someone like that

dodo is wiig's character in reverse. she is more miserable, more skeptical, more negative, more pessimistic, more critical, more harsh, more disillusioned, more bitter, more angry, she has more reasons to feel sorry 4 herself, more hateful

May 15, 2013 at 1:19 am |
    • Woof

May I point out the obvious hypocrisy of your criticizing others for doing exactly what you just did, or is it just too obvious to need comment?

Let me "no".

May 15, 2013 at 2:27 am |
    • Filthy Hind I love to Mithrism lick and talk Islam bunk

Loved that character.

May 15, 2013 at 3:38 am |
    • faith

"Woof
      Let me "no".

perfect

May 15, 2013 at 9:34 am |
  20. lol??

Bostontola sayz,
    "lol??,
    I have no servants, and am no ones servant."

In the west gubmints generally have public servants who supposedly represent the citizens, who would be considered the masters. Then there is the little matter of public debt that the servants spent. The masters owe it.

Pro 22:7 The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower [is] servant to the lender.

May 15, 2013 at 12:52 am |
    • Science

Hey faith..you too lol??..............someone has to pay the bills please check it out OK............Thanks !

Peace