home
RSS
May 11th, 2013

My Take: ‘Gay Christian’ is not an oxymoron

Editor’s note: Justin Lee is the Executive Director of the Gay Christian Network and author of Torn: Rescuing the Gospel from the Gays-vs.-Christians Debate.

By Justin Lee, Special to CNN

(CNN)–In high school, I was a Christian know-it-all.

My nickname was "God boy," and I was known for regularly preaching at my friends about social issues of the day. I dismissed their objections - and accusations of homophobia - as intolerance for my faith.

"I'm just telling you what God's Word says," I'd argue.

Years later I realized my mistake. What my peers most objected to wasn't my beliefs - it was my condescending attitude. I debated and preached when I should have listened. I thought that stating my position loudly and unyieldingly was a sign of strength. In the process, I alienated my friends.

I'm still an evangelical Christian, but one thing is now crystal clear to me. American evangelicals' bad reputation isn't just because of what we believe. It's mostly because of how we behave.

When ESPN commentator Chris Broussard was criticized for saying that openly gay NBA player Jason Collins was “openly rebelling against God,” some evangelicals argued that conservative theological views are no longer tolerated in America.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

But they're missing the point.

Broussard's language didn't just express a religious view about sexual morality; it referred to gay people in ways that were dehumanizing, reducing all gay people's lives to a single sex act. Other outspoken Christians routinely say even worse things, comparing gay people to pedophiles, for example.

No one is immune from criticism in a free country with diverse beliefs. But if Christians feel particularly singled out at times, I'd argue that our perceived lack of empathy for others is largely to blame.

I can often test a Christian's level of empathy by offering a single admission: When I was 18, I realized that I'm gay.

Empathetic Christians are typically intrigued by such a statement, even if they also question how a conservative Southern Baptist could also be openly gay. They want to know about my struggles, how my family and church responded, and whether I ever feel my faith and sexuality are at odds with one another.

I love these questions, because they show that the other person genuinely sees me as a human being.

But far too often, Christians respond not with curiosity and questions but with politics and preaching.

They quote Bible passages at me, make assumptions about my faith, or tell me why they’re opposed to same-sex marriage.

I'm no longer a person to them; I'm a symbol of a culture war. A battlefield. And when I don't want to be treated that way, they assume I'm turning away because I didn't really want to hear the truth.

This kind of behavior is why so many of my LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) friends want nothing to do with the church.

But it's not only them.

In my book, "Torn: Rescuing the Gospel from the Gays-vs.-Christians Debate," I share the story of Cindy, a conservative evangelical mom whose life was thrown into turmoil when her son told her he was gay.

This wasn't a political question for Cindy; it was a personal one. But the dehumanizing rhetoric about gay people she heard from the pulpit made her afraid to talk to anyone at church about her son's sexuality.

Christians are not a monolithic group. I know many empathetic Christians, including many who speak up regularly for their LGBT brothers and sisters.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The loudest megaphones do not speak for the rest of us, but they are still loud, and legion. To them I say: Gay people are not an issue. We're people. Some of us are Christians, too. And if it disturbs you that I refer to myself as both gay and Christian, I invite you to take the time to get to know me, and read what I write. You don't have to agree, and you might think I’m a sinner, but at least you’ll see me as a human being.

Baptist minister and author Tony Campolo quips that Jesus entreated Christians not to "love the sinner and hate the sin," but to "love the sinner and hate your own sin."

Jesus saved his harshest words for the self-righteously devout and chose the outcasts and sinners as his closest friends.

Perhaps a lesson in Jesus-style humility might do us all some good.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Justin Lee.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Homosexuality • Opinion

soundoff (3,629 Responses)
  1. faith

that little girl cares despe rat ely what others think. such a cry baby

May 18, 2013 at 3:08 pm |
  2. oldowl

I enjoyed the featured article and most of the discussion that followed it. While the Bible does not contain a Commandment against ho mo se xu al ity, it does contain a commandment against "bearing false witness." I know that some gay Christians, bowing to the pressures of their congregations and church leaders, survive church by disowning who God created them to be, by way of suppressing their se xu al orientation. I wonder if they are ever bothered by the fact that they are purposely choosing to live a lie, and to hide the witness of the light that God gave them, by lying to themselves and to others about who and what they are as Christians. All that it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing, and I wonder about how many others have been hurt by their silence in the face of bigotry. I don't see how they can live with themselves denying who God made them to be, and the gifts and power that comes with being true to oneself and to God, or why they would want to waste their lives and make a shipwreck out of their faith, by living a lie.

May 18, 2013 at 3:07 pm |
  3. Gay Marriage Watch

Congrats to France today! France's consti-tutional council has rejected a challenge by conservative lawmakers to the country's new gay marriage law, saying the law was consti-tutional. President Francois Hollande, who made legalizing gay marriage one of his campaign pledges last year, has promised to see the law published as soon as possible.
    ======
    Congrats to the Assembly committee in Nevada for abolishing the state's ban on gay marriage.
    ======
    Congrats to Brazil on becoming the third and largest Latin American country to fully legalize same-sex marriage this past Tuesday, the same day that Minnesota legalized gay marriage. Before Tuesday, only some jurisdictions allowed same-sex marriage. In a bold move for the majority Roman Catholic nation, Brazil's National Council of Justice ruled that all Brazilian notary publics must register same-sex civil unions as marriages if the couple requests it. The announcement was explained by the Chief Justice of Brazil's Supreme Federal Court. (Same-sex civil unions were already recognized country-wide in Brazil since 2011.)
    ======
    Brazil, host of the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Summer Olympics, is one of the fastest-growing major economies in the world with an average annual GDP growth rate of over 5 percent. (GDP – $2.2 trillion USD in 2013). It is currently the second largest economy in the western hemisphere. The South American country has a total area slightly larger than the continental United States, and is home to ~200 million people (roughly eight times the population of the next most populous predominantly Portuguese-speaking nation). It is also the most bio-diverse country on the planet.
    ======
    Also congrats to Mexico for paving the way for gay couples to wed there. Gay marriage is already legal in Mexico City, however, the Miami Herald just reported that "A unanimous ruling by the Mexican Supreme Court overturning a state law against same-se-x marriage has opened the way for the eventual legalization of gay marriage across Mexico, legal experts say. The court ruled unconsti-tutional a law in southern Oaxaca state that defines marriage as a legal union between a man and a woman."

May 17, 2013 at 8:03 pm |
    • kevin001

If you think Ricky`s story is incredible..., 3 weaks-ago my sis easily made $5477 working a fifteen hour week from there house and there best friend's aunt`s neighbour done this for six months and earnt more than $5477 parttime from a mac. the guidelines at this address........... Fox85. ℂOℳ

May 18, 2013 at 2:31 am |
  4. Gay Marriage Watch

Same-se-x marriage in the U.S.:

Done deal: Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington & the District of Columbia.

Who's next?
    Illinois: Gov. Pat Quinn called on the Illinois House to send him legislation to legalize gay marriage, saying lawmakers had plenty of time to make up their mind on the issue. The state Senate passed the measure on Valentine's Day, and the governor has said he's ready to sign it.

New Jersey: Gov. Christie doesn't seem to be against gay marriage coming from a ballot measure, but has stated in the past he would veto such a change from legislators. This was his stance before the President changed his views. If Christie reconsiders, NJ could be sooner than expected.

California: It seems gay marriage will be in CA soon one way or the other. This is because polls show a much larger support for gay marriage than when Prop 8 was passed. So even if the upcoming SCOTUS case were to fail, it would likely be put to voters there very soon again.

Hawaii: Already has some good laws on the books evidently, and although things have been put on hold until after 2013, legislators there are attempting to speed up the process.

Virginia: A new Washington Post poll reported Tuesday, 5/14/13 shows, for the question,

"Do you think it should be legal or illegal for gay couples to get married?",

56% of Virginians answered legal – an increase of ten percent on the same question and answer from the same poll two years ago.

The state, birthplace to eight U.S. presidents is adjacent to Maryland and the District of Columbia where same-se-x marriage is already legal.

Arizona: A new Rocky Mountain poll shows 55% of Arizona residents now support gay marriage.
    ==========================
    Let's see around the globe:

Done deal: Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, France, Iceland, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, & Uruguay, & Mexico City.

In the works:

Germany: On 22 March 2013 the Bundesrat passed an initiative to open marriage to same-se-x couples, which now moves onto the Bundestag for approval.

Ireland: On 14 April 2013 as part of the Consti tutional Convention a measure voted in favour of same-se-x marriage by a margin of 79 percent.

UK: On 5 February 2013, the House of Commons debated the Marriage (Same Se-x Couples) Bill and approved it in a 400–175 vote at the second reading. (Third reading to be scheduled.)

Finland: 03-19-2013: The citizens' initiative overrides the committee's decision, and thus the bill must now be considered by the Parliament.

Luxembourg: On 6 February 2013, the Chamber's justice committee agreed to approve the measure opening marriage for same-se-x couples. On 20 February, the committee initially backed the right to simple adoption for same-se-x couples. On 6 March 2013, the committee confirmed that position.

Australia: lower house MP will seek to have his Marriage Equality Amendment Bill brought for an immediate vote in the House on June 6.

Mexico (UPDATE): Gay marriage is already legal in Mexico City, however, the Miami Herald reported today that "A unanimous ruling by the Mexican Supreme Court overturning a state law against same-se-x marriage has opened the way for the eventual legalization of gay marriage across Mexico, legal experts say. The court ruled unconsti-tutional a law in southern Oaxaca state that defines marriage as a legal union between a man and a woman."

Vietnam: Last July, the Justice Ministry in Vietnam said it would consider a provision for same-se-x marriage rights in an amendment to the country's marriage laws.

Taiwan: Last year, a same-se-x Buddhist couple married in Taiwan, where a legalization bill has been pending since 2003. Taipei is also home to Asia's largest annual gay pride parade, according to organizers. Taiwan’s Ministry of Justice are currently examining whether to change their civil code to accept same-se-x marriage or to legislate for civil partnerships. Taiwan could very well be the first Asian country to legalize gay marriage.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ULdaSrYGLQ&w=640&h=360]

May 17, 2013 at 8:03 pm |
  5. HeathenMike

GodFreeNow

"Condescension is the natural and unavoidable att.itude of one who believes they have a superior position. This doesn't mean that all condescending atti.tudes are wrong. Nor does it mean that all beliefs of a superior position are equal and valid. The difference is, one person's superior position is based on faith and belief in unverifiable stories, the other is based in verifiable truth."

Godfreenow, I agree with you technically, in that too many people argue that every opinion is equally valid. They most certainly are not. That is something that college professors all over struggle with; trying to get their students to realize that unless they defend their opinions with some clearly stated evidence, preferably verifiable, their opinion is disposable and worth very little.

However, I think it is very worthwhile to remember that our tone matters. If we challenge someone respectfully, avoid putting them down or sounding as if we think them stupid for stating their opinion, we might just stand some chance that they'll be willing to listen to our argument. If, however, we call them a moran, in so many words, their defenses will go up and they'll do their darnedest to reject anything we have to say, regardless of how logically supported we may be. Tone does matter.

May 17, 2013 at 7:16 pm |
    • ----0----

Tone doesn't matter you stupid fuck. You just hate being told off for being a prick or something and like to act all condescending while you say "tone" matters with a sneer.
      Then why sneer and be condescending? Because you're a d-bag.
      Your words are worthless trash themselves. Are they verifiable? No. They are hyperbole and merely your weak opinion.
      I don't give a fuck if you ever read this. I don't care what you think of my "tone".
      You suffer from tunnel vision in thinking this blog or any other part of the internet is a forum with any credibilty or authority at all. This is a back-room blog where we come to brawl. If you are too much of a wuss and can't handle someone's "tone", then you should go back to watching Teletubbies with your mother.

May 18, 2013 at 3:48 am |
    • GodFreeNow

Tone does matter. I agree. Particularly when manipulation is the desired outcome. Deceptive, but a necessary evil.

May 18, 2013 at 7:04 pm |
  6. His panic

They get hysterical in a state of panic.

May 17, 2013 at 6:11 pm |
  7. myweightinwords

In my experience, from several sides of this debate, we are so entrenched in an us vs them mentality, assigning hatred and labels to everyone who disagrees with our point of view, that we stop seeing people with lives and feelings in those we argue with.

I have been an evangelical Christian who decried homosexuality loudly and demonized those who would not let go. I have been an agnostic fence sitter, uncertain of where I stood on the subject once I had let go of my religion. I have been a Pagan learning tolerance for those not like me. I have been a woman who was waking to a realization that I maybe wasn't as straight as I had always assumed I was.

It is an odd thing, to find yourself in a place where you are allowed to fully be yourself when your entire life has been constrained by belief and expectation....to look back on your life and realize that the feeling you had for that female celebrity was exactly the same as the feeling you had for that male celebrity, or that the love you felt for that female friend was the same as the love you later felt for your first boyfriend.

Until I found myself in a place where I was given permission to be myself, to accept myself, it would never have occurred to me that it was even possible.

Believe what you believe, live your life as you think is right. Just remember, that's what everyone else is doing to. We all have our reasons, we all have our pasts. Preaching at someone who doesn't believe as you do doesn't change them, it doesn't give them food for thought. Mostly it just angers them, shows them that you're not listening, you're not caring.

May 17, 2013 at 12:21 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Great post.

May 17, 2013 at 2:36 pm |
    • agnostic

Very well said.

May 17, 2013 at 6:49 pm |
    • HeathanMike

I agree with the other compliments, here. Thanks, myweightinwords!
      In some ways, I feel like a male counterpart to what you've described of yourself. Existing somewhere on the continuum between hetero- vs. gay orientation, married for decades, with kids, honest with my wife about my feelings, but appearing to the "outside" world to be conventionally "straight." I don't feel straight, though. I Also was a devout charismatic Christian growing up, very serious about it, until reality started to impose itself and I realized the narrow-mindedness of it was not only hypocritical but also hurtful to my self-respect. You take a chance sharing of yourself on a blog like this, where some posters are just looking for a chance to crucify others. But thanks for being so thoughtful! It helps to give very real examples like that when making a serious point.

May 17, 2013 at 7:03 pm |
    • HeathenMike

Darn it! I have corrected the typo in my monicker to "Heathen" a few times, and it keeps reverting. grr. Just wanted to point out I do know how it is supposed to be spelled. : /

May 17, 2013 at 7:06 pm |
    • VVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Appeasement does not work. All it does is kick the can down the road and show that your values are basically worthless and fucked up in your damaged brain.
      If you allow your enemies to surround you freely, you have no cause for complaint when they saw your head off with a rusty kitchen knife. Your lack of discernment is an extremely dangerous side effect of your empty-headedness.
      Being tolerant of crazy violent idiots is the stupidest, most reprehensible and heinous position you could ever take.

May 18, 2013 at 3:58 am |
      • myweightinwords

V...

To the contrary, tolerance is the only thing that can and will breed tolerance. Just like hate only breeds more hate.

You clearly did not understand my point. It makes no difference to me what others around me believe as long as their beliefs do not drive them to interfere with mine.

However, when that belief crosses that boundary, when belief becomes action, then it is actionable. I never said action was not to be taken.

May 18, 2013 at 12:12 pm |
    • Heathen Mike

VVV... has provided us with a great example of the impact tone can have. I'm assuming v. is also --0--, as the wording and attempts to shock us sound pretty much identical. What v's tone tells me is that the intent is to stir up more pointed animosity and conflict. Maybe this blog is considered purely for entertainment purposes to v. Of course, the claim that "appeasement" is pointless is itself absurd. That would mean basically that the law of the jungle applies; that we should declare war on people we don't agree with. All of history provides the evidence that humans are fundamentally social beings who need others to have any quality of life. Just look at places where government is weak; Somalia, for example. Such a place is the most miserable, dangerous kind of place, with broken down infrastructure and people living in constant fear for their lives. If we don't want to live in that kind of misery, our only reasonable course is practice some basic diplomacy and respect. So, for --0--/vvvvv–whoever, who just seems to want upset us, tone still matters, just for

May 18, 2013 at 7:51 pm |
    • Heathen Mike

as I was saying before my computer hiccupped, tone matters, just for different reasons for v. than for those of us who are trying to have any sort of thoughtful exchange.

May 18, 2013 at 8:17 pm |
  8. Anna

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY9qx5OuKGY&w=640&h=360]
    q

May 17, 2013 at 9:37 am |
  9. Ken

"What my peers most objected to wasn't my beliefs – it was my condescending att.itude."

Christians, if you take one thing away from this article, please take this to heart.

May 17, 2013 at 1:10 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

Would be nice if Atheist would take that to heart as well.

May 17, 2013 at 1:25 am |
    • Athy

Mark, it's atheists, not Atheist. Plural and not proper. Learn grammar before you post again. Your bad writing immediately tags you as a religie. Sorry, that's just the way it is. Too much time on your knees, not enough time in the classroom.

May 17, 2013 at 1:56 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

Athy. First, I have read your post before and I am not surprised in your response. I choose to capitalize Atheist out of a respect for the ideology. Also, I really do not care if on the same forum or blog where a few Atheist have misspelled with the purpose of just to taunt and anger my faith, Christianity with various forms .... that some Atheist get their panties all in a bunch when I choose to capitalize the word Atheist or Atheism.

If my choosing the path of respect has got you and Atheist upset..... then I will lose absolutely the same amount of sleep that a Atheist loses when he or she types XMas or Xtain or any of the more colorful versions. 🙂

L'Chaim

May 17, 2013 at 4:14 am |
    • faith

i agree. heathen, please remember, you turn 16 out of 18 heathen into xtards when u act like little fatty sambo. so keep it up.

May 17, 2013 at 5:07 am |
    • Science

Mark.................. and you know faith.................enjoy

How did feathers evolve? – Carl Zimmer

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPLgfGX1I5Y&w=640&h=360]

May 17, 2013 at 7:10 am |
    • lol??

You can get any Jesus you want at Alice's Restaurant
      Walk right in it's around the back
      Christian books in just plain wrap,................With feeling.

May 17, 2013 at 9:18 am |
    • GodFreeNow

I condescend to my to my daughter in matters of science because I AM superior on that scale and it is verifiable. She believes that Gollum and the Hobbit are real despite my repeatedly telling her they are not. On matters of imagination, I humbly submit to her creative genius and accept her condescension toward me.

To the christians, I ask you: Which is more condescending? We as atheists speaking truth to ignorance in an attempt to educate or enlighten the masses, or we as atheists pretending what you say is true because we don't want to hurt your feelings? I would argue that the truth is the highest form of respect, even if it makes you feel small or immature to hear it.

May 17, 2013 at 5:13 pm |
    • Agnostic

Godfree,

That's just it the condescending person BELIEVES they have the superior position. I thought the goal was not to have beliefs. Also in no universe is one human "superior" to another human outside of his or her own mind. Equal but different...it's an idea in the ideas market worthy of embrace.

May 17, 2013 at 6:14 pm |
    • The real Tom

What the hell is wrong with you, Piddler? It's not ONE atheist you're referring to. It's plural. What part of the "s" is hard for you to manage?

It's not too difficult to be condescending to some people here when they make it easy by choosing to remain ignorant and/or stupid.

May 17, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>" Which is more condescending? We as atheists speaking truth to ignorance in an attempt to educate or enlighten the masses, or we as atheists pretending what you say is true because we don't want to hurt your feelings?"

Basically, when one person states that they and only they are speaking the truth...be they an evangelical Atheist or Faithful.. that is where the line is crossed or not. Some will say that what he or she declares to be the truth is being told to you only for your benefit. That you declare to hold what is true to you is true for all is plain arrogance. It is just Atheist 700 club style.

When I read your words, that you feel you are pretending that what we hold as our Faith is true, then I am afraid that the issue is within you. I do not know you but, unless you have a boss or even a spouse that is a person of Faith, and it forces you to pretend that you are accepting of another's Faith....I do not see why you need to pretend. As a Christian I can free you from your burden and say that you can stop pretending. If it is going to cost you a friendship, or a job or even a marriage, then you have a bigger problem. I have been on this Blog for almost two years and you are the first that I have heard that felt that they had to pretend to accept another's Faith. I do not pretend that Atheist are right but at the same time I can respect that their view comes from lots of thought and experiences. Maybe, you can explain the "pretending" part.

For example, I am a Black Republican and the majority of my family are Al Sharpton/Obama Democrats. I do not find the need to pretend that I agree with Obama's policies with my family and co-workers. They know where I stand and, that I am on good relations with them, I feel that there is no reason to pretend. That is where the author of the article is attempting to lead us. We have Gay and Lesbian family members, they do not pretend to be straight or pretend to accept that they are wrong for being LGBT. At the same time there are those in the family who sadly do not and will not accept their lifestyle. This does not mean that each family gathering devolves into a Gay Rights and Family Values battle royal. We just know that there is something that transcends such. What I do fear is that in other families where a child has come out Gay or Lesbian, civility has collapsed and all that is left is a family in tatters. Maybe, this is how some desire the world, a constant civil war of ideals every moment in life.

I am interested in your post because I wonder if you feel the same from, I assume Christians, in your life. Last Sunday I was listening to a CSPAN rebroadcast of the Sunday Morning talk shows and one of the subjects was the Syrian Civil War. The commentator resolved that at this point it is hard to get folks to the point of sitting down at a peace table because all they would see across the table were monsters that were responsible for the killings of thousands of their side. You see, that is where I fear that you are failing in that you sound as if only your side, Atheism is the only path forward and any other paths are only chosen by ones lesser than yourself. This is no different than 700 club or Taliban logic.

The highest form of respect is to stand on your views. Hold your views in a deep grasp while at the same time not getting upset when another holds a view polar opposite. See, Rev Terry Jones of Westburo Baptist, he is small and immature because like you, he has his beliefs and his atti'tude towards the LGBT lifestyles means that anyone not sharing his views are just ones who do not want to accept the truth. Basic Bin Laden 101, is the book that ones such as yourself are reading from.

L'Chaim

May 18, 2013 at 1:51 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>" It's not ONE atheist you're referring to. It's plural. What part of the "s" is hard for you to manage?"

Ok ... 🙂

Would be nice if some Atheists would take that to heart as well.

Hey, I even added "some" in there because some Atheist are just like the majority of society and are not on the extremist fringes. 🙂

Peace TomTom.

May 18, 2013 at 1:57 am |
    • GodFreeNow

@Mark from Middle River, Truth is not an opinion. We strive for it and get closer to it by mapping the way. We do this by evidence and verification. I can understand your overall defense, but when you remove evidence, your words are just an opinion.

Take your comparison of me to the Terry Jones as an example: It probably felt good to draw lines connecting the dots with a sweeping and careless brush, but lets look at the evidence and see whether your words are opinion or truth. You mention his view toward LGBTs. Does the evidence support his opinion? Not at all. He's grabbed his ideas from an antiquated book and distorted them to serve his purposes. Let's take one of my ideas now. Black protestants and evangelical protestants are less knowledgable about evolution than non-christians AND most other religions. Did I pull that out of my @ss? No. This comes from research. If I told you that around 45% of Americans believe that the earth is less than 10k years old, would you have a hard time answering the question, "what do you think is the majority of these people, religious or otherwise?"

This is me condescending those who actually believe in the non-sense above. The other obvious difference between me and Terry Jones is that my understanding of the world changes with the evidence. Should studies show in the future that everyone excepts the general age of planet earth being what it is, then I would no longer be in a condescending position.

May 18, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
    • The real Tom

I always wonder when Piddles will actually grow up to be a real boy. I sometimes think Chard carved him out of wood in his own image...

May 18, 2013 at 7:24 pm |
  10. Austin

Why would we shun God because we enjoy sin?

May 17, 2013 at 12:30 am |
    • Ken

Is it sinful any more to be left-handed and unashamed of actually using your left hand primarily? Many Christians use to think so. Same for interracial marriage and even acting. Face it, the Bible forbade a lot of stuff that most Christians don't think of as sinful any more. The way att.itudes are changing, the majority of Christians in this country already are feeling that being gay isn't sinful anymore. Pretty soon, people like you will be regarded the same way we treat racists. There's still time to change, you know? Why let bigotry rule your life?

May 17, 2013 at 12:58 am |
    • lol??

Oh, OOOooohh, Bi Got and the Bigotchas are back!. That's one of the TOP 10 Bands for the RAGS.

Ranting Against God's Servants

May 17, 2013 at 7:29 am |
    • myweightinwords

Austin, if you believe something is sinful and against YOUR god's wishes, don't do it.

It is a pretty simple concept.

HOWEVER, not everyone believes as you do, and you have no say in what they believe. In our nation where we are each free to believe, or not, in our own way, no one belief holds sway.

This too is a pretty simple concept.

May 17, 2013 at 11:59 am |
    • HeathanMike

Austin, regarding "why would we shun God,...?" Your question presumes a set understanding of God. That's an error. I don't shun God. I am not rebelling. I am not flipping God the finger by purposely rejecting God's instructions.

What I AM doing is understanding God differently than you. You have many choices. You can understand God in a fire-and-brimstone way, with a wrathful God ready to judge and punish. You can be literal-minded and believe what you were told to never question the accuracy of scriptures. You can understand God as all-loving and intimately concerned with the details of our lives and emotional state. You can understand God as the deists do as a detached "watchmaker" God who set the universe in motion but maintains a distance. You can understand God, as I do, as a metaphor to explain the powerful force(s) behind all the mysteries of life, the nitty-gritty mechanics of which, science or our own intellects haven't yet come to understand.

Some atheists appear to mock God. Don't be confused. An atheist doesn't believe in God. If they are mocking anything, it is people's religious beliefs they see as ignorant, NOT the "non-existent" God. I have no argument with the Christian God; I just don't believe in him. And if I am wrong and the Christian God exists, then this omniscient, all-powerful, God—who IS LOVE according to scripture, such a God will understand the reasons for my misunderstanding and ignorance and forgive me. After all, I was made as I am—by God, according to Christianity. It is wrath and eternal punishment that are completely incompatible with the notion of an all-loving all-knowing God. Hel*l as a concept, poorly explained and inconsistently depicted in scriptures, was quite apparently thought up as another fear-tactic for controlling people.

May 17, 2013 at 1:30 pm |
    • Austin

D

May 17, 2013 at 11:56 pm |
  11. Observer

faith,

"all slaves were to be released every 7 years"

Did you just MAKE THAT UP or are you just CLUELESS about what the Bible says?

May 16, 2013 at 10:19 pm |
  12. Gay Marriage Watch

======

May 16, 2013 at 8:15 pm |
  13. Gay Marriage Watch

Same-se-x marriage in the U.S.:

Who's next?

"Do you think it should be legal or illegal for gay couples to get married?",

==========================
    Let's see around the globe:

Done deal: Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Iceland, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, & Uruguay, & Mexico City.

In the works:

France: Has already passed same-se-x marriage bill in both houses; president intends to sign; right-wing party plans to challenge in the Consti tutional Council to try to force a delay on enactment.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ULdaSrYGLQ&w=640&h=360]

May 16, 2013 at 8:12 pm |
  14. mama k

I see from some of the comments and questions that some still don't have a basic education about homosexuality. Muslims lead the way as having the most uneducated, disenfranchising stance toward gays. But many Christians are not far behind. Just last week CNN reported some gays being arrested in Zambia which is a predominantly Christian nation.

Christianity has always been conflicted on social issues, but this current hot topic really highlights the extremism within Christianity. One sect calls homosexuality an abomination while the next one (over four million members) in the same denomination is already performing gay marriage. Thomas Jefferson hit the nail on the head over 200 years ago:

Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth.

(from Notes on the State of Virginia, 1785)

Some claim that Christianity and science are not incompatible, yet we find many who continue to ignore current scientific knowledge on the issue of homosexuality. Is the problem poor education, steadfastness to one's own flavor of biblical interpretation, or both?

Whatever your religion, whatever your belief, with gay marriage coming quickly to the U.S., now is the time to at least have a basic education about homosexuality.

The following is long, but note the quote from Professor MIchael King below in the section on psychology.
    =====================================================================
    Psychology

The American Psychological Association states "there are probably many reasons for a person's sexual orientation and the reasons may be different for different people", and says most people's sexual orientation is determined at an early age. Research into how sexual orientation in males may be determined by genetic or other prenatal factors plays a role in political and social debates about homosexuality, and also raises concerns about genetic profiling and prenatal testing."

Professor Michael King states: "The conclusion reached by scientists who have investigated the origins and stability of sexual orientation is that it is a human characteristic that is formed early in life, and is resistant to change. Scientific evidence on the origins of homosexuality is considered relevant to theological and social debate because it undermines suggestions that sexual orientation is a choice."

The Royal College of Psychiatrists stated in 2007:

"Despite almost a century of psychoanalytic and psychological speculation, there is no substantive evidence to support the suggestion that the nature of parenting or early childhood experiences play any role in the formation of a person's fundamental heterosexual or homosexual orientation. It would appear that sexual orientation is biological in nature, determined by a complex interplay of genetic factors and the early uterine environment. Sexual orientation is therefore not a choice."

Biology

The following is from the article:

Homosexuality ultimately a result of gene regulation, researchers find (12/11/2012 – LiveScience)

[ The search for a "gay gene" may be off-target, new research finds. Another process called epigenetics that switches genes on and off may explain why homosexuality runs in families.

Epigenetics are heritable changes caused by factors other than DNA. Instead of traits getting passed down through the genes, epigenetic change happens because of the way genes are regulated, or turned on and off.

These genetic regulators may be the reason homosexuality persists in nature despite the fact that gay people are less likely to reproduce, suggests the new study published in the journal The Quarterly Review of Biology.

"These things have evolved because they're good for the parents, but they sometimes, not [with] high frequency, but sometimes carry over" into offspring, study researcher William Rice, an evolutionary geneticist at the University of California, Santa Barbara, told LiveScience. In a male fetus, Rice and his colleagues write, an epigenetic change that benefited the mother may lead to "feminization" of sexual preference — homo- or bisexuality. The same may be true for epigenetic changes passed down by dad to a female fetus. (The terms feminization and masculinization of sexual preference refer to sexual orientation only — not to physical or personality traits of the offspring.)

The findings add to past research suggesting gay men haven't died out, because female relatives of gay men tend to have more children on average than other females. The study researchers specifically found that two genes passed on through the maternal line could produce this effect.

Hormones, epigenetics and orientation

Rice and his colleagues focused on epi-marks, which are molecular changes that act like temporary "switches" to turn genes on and off. If a gene is a blueprint, the epi-mark is the construction foreman who makes sure the product gets built. An epi-mark also determines when, where and how much a gene is expressed, according to the National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis.

These molecular switches are usually erased very early in the developmental process, but they can be passed down from generation to generation, too, Rice said.

Some epi-marks are particularly important during fetal development, when they promote normal physical development in the sexes despite natural variations in testosterone during pregnancy. Researchers know that fetal exposure to too much testosterone can masculinize the genitals, brain or behavior of a genetically female fetus. Likewise, too little testosterone can make a genetically male fetus more feminized.

But here's the catch: There's lots of overlap between the levels of testosterone male and female fetuses get exposed to. That means there must be another side to the story, Rice and his colleagues wrote.

That side appears to be epigenetics, Rice said.

"Early in development, we think these epi-marks are laid down so that girl fetuses will be relatively insensitive to testosterone and male fetuses will be relatively sensitive to testosterone," Rice said.

Biological behavior

Thus, if an epi-mark that kept a mother from getting exposed to high testosterone in development gets passed on to her son — the opposite sex — it could desensitize him to testosterone, contributing to his sexual preference for men. Similarly, if a male-specific epi-mark from dad gets passed to a daughter, it could "masculinize" her sexual preference, making her more interested in women.

These findings could explain why twin studies show that homosexuality runs in families, but no "gay gene" can be found, Rice said. In identical twins, there's about a 20 percent chance that if one twin is gay, the other will be too. If genetic change were responsible for homosexuality, you'd expect a much higher match, Rice said. Epigenetics, however, can explain the heritability without the need for a specific genetic change.

The hypothesis could be tested by examining epigenetic marks in parents of kids with gay versus straight offspring, Rice said. There are, of course, concerns that this knowledge could be used by parents who want to avoid gay offspring, Rice said, but that concern already exists around certain hormonal conditions in utero, which are known to contribute to an increased chance of offspring being lesbians.

"That cat's already out of the bag," Rice said. He added that an understanding of the biological underpinnings of homosexuality could help emphasize that same-sex behavior is not "unnatural."

"In fact, it's a major part of the natural world," Rice said. Fourteen percent of Western gulls raise chicks in female-female pairs, he pointed out. And 8 percent of male sheep show zero interest in fertile ewes, but get sexually excited by other rams. ]
    =====================================================================

May 16, 2013 at 8:11 pm |
  15. John 3:16

For God so 💚 the 🌎 that he 🎁 his one and only Son, that 👫 👉 👃 in him shall not perish but have ∞ 👑

May 16, 2013 at 4:32 pm |
  16. Culture Shock

The Bible should shape culture, not the culture shaping the Bible.

Do shall no other gods before me. Craving the Bible up to fit your culture is making yourself a god.

May 16, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
    • Culture Shock

Sorry for my typo

You shall have no other gods before Me. Exodus 20:3

May 16, 2013 at 1:39 pm |
    • OK

"Craving the Bible up to fit your culture is making yourself a god."

So all those Christians that are full of greed, overweight because of gluttony, do not help the poor or the needy, divorce each other, take interest from their family on loans, that women don't acknowledge the man the master of the house are living in sin and are not following the bible. That must mean that people can take up slavery again too by using indentured servants. Oh and don't forget all those people who have tattoos too or how about we should stone children to death for talking back to their parents.

May 16, 2013 at 1:43 pm |
    • Michael

Would you care to explain why, then, if the original text of the Bible doesn't condemn people then how does it condemn them today if "society shouldn't shape the Bible..."?

May 16, 2013 at 1:43 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

The culture of men is what was written into the bible. It did not come from any gods.

May 16, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
    • Culture Shock

You are absolutely correct, GOD'S standards and man's disobedience to those standards are written in the Bible.

May 16, 2013 at 3:44 pm |
    • Dippy

How do you "crave" the bible? I don't like it even a little bit.

May 16, 2013 at 7:15 pm |
    • Culture Shock

Not so perfect people make typos.

Craving should have been "Changing " phone typing is obviously my downfall.

Do you forgive me?

3 nails + 1 cross * 1 Saviour = FORGIVEN

May 17, 2013 at 7:58 am |
    • Cpt. Obvious

The bible has never shaped culture and it should never shape culture. Certain interpretations of certain parts have shaped cultrue, and at times those parts have been pro slavery and pro murder of children who talk back to their parents or do some small amount of work on sundays, and at times those parts have been otherwise. Either way, god is a horrible, tortorous, and vindictive jerk who we should NOT look up to for moral guidance.

May 17, 2013 at 8:07 am |
    • HeathanMike

I forgive you your typos. I've had plenty myself. Shoot, some aren't even typos, which would be unintended letters typed; they are sometimes plain ol' misspellings. Interchangeable vowel sound spellings are my downfall. : / I just console myself with the fact my brother, who graduated from Yale and has a PhD, still can't spell worth beans. Spelling does not equal overall intelligence.

May 17, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
  17. steve

This blog entry sounds pretty self-righteous to me.
    Why don't those who are gay and claim they are Christian realize they are doing the exact same thing they charge other Christians with?

May 16, 2013 at 1:06 pm |
    • .

James

The scriptures actually say nothing about homosexuality as a psychosexual orientation. Our understandings of sexual orientation are distinctly modern ones that were not present in the minds of Scripture writers. A few passages of Scripture (seven at the most) object to certain types of same-sex expressions or acts. The particular acts in question, however, are sexual expressions which are exploitative, oppressive, commercialized, or offensive to ancient purity rituals. There is no Scriptural guidance for same-sex relationships which are loving and mutually respecting. Guidelines for these relationships should come from the same general Scriptural norms that apply to heterosexual relationships.

Melvin

The Scriptures at no point deal with homosexuality as an authentic sexual orientation, a given condition of being. The remarkably few Scriptural references to "homosexuality" deal rather with homosexual acts, not with homosexual orientation. Those acts are labeled as wrong out of the context of the times in which the writers wrote and perceived those acts to be either nonmasculine, idolatrous, exploitative, or pagan. The kind of relationships between two consenting adults of the same sex demonstrably abounding among us - relationships that are responsible and mutual, affirming and fulfilling - are not dealt with in the Scriptures.

May 16, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
    • myweightinwords

Your comment sounds pretty self-righteous to me.

Why can't you just realize that each person's religious belief is unique and known only to them, that you can not define what they believe or what they label themselves for them?

No Christian on this planet follows the whole of the bible, word for word. If they did, they'd be in prison. So, if a gay person is a Christian and sees nothing wrong with being gay, that is for them to decide.

As it is the word "Christian" is a huge umbrella encompassing many, many differences of opinion on many things. This is but one more.

May 16, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
    • His panic

May 16, 2013 at 1:12 pm |
    • fred

"They may be in a state of Panic, knowing that no matter what they say or think the Scriptures are clear. Such will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Just because they can enter church or religious auditoriums, buildings, cathedrals, temples, synagogues etc that does not means they will enter God's Kingdom."

The panic will be yours when you try to get in and are denied because you didn't follow the entire bible word for word. The bible is clear on many things that Christians today do not follow so most of you are going to hell, not the gays.

May 16, 2013 at 1:15 pm |
    • TC

What makes you think your own preconceptions about gay folks and gay Christians are correct?

May 16, 2013 at 1:21 pm |
    • Michael

It's the old...

Why are you so intolerant of my intolerance?

How can you be so bigoted against my bigotry?

Why are you so hateful towards my hatred?

Do you at least have anything sub-original to spew???

May 16, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
    • HeathanMike

Oh, but *,
      you said the bible makes no reference to same-s3x romantic love. But it does, and it seems, affirmatively. With David and Jonathan, just read 1 Samuel chapter 18 and chapter 20, describing Jonathan's absolute head-over-heals infatuation with David and Jonathan's father's rage at this situation. Then read 2 Samuel 1:26 for David's grief at Jonathan's death, in which he compare's Jonathan's love to that of women and calls it stronger, "surpassing." Not "brotherly" love, mind you, but that "of women. It is clear from these passages that Jonathan had it bad for David and that David tolerated it, cared for his friend, and did not shun him. Finally, in Acts 13:22 Paul tells us that God considered David to be "a man after my own heart." If the Bible is true, that means apparently G*d didn't have a problem with it either. I'm not saying the bible is historical fact, but this is what it says. : )

David was James Dean to Jonathan's Sal Mineo in "Rebel without a Cause."

May 16, 2013 at 3:23 pm |
    • dean

Ahem, fred, getting a bit pascaly wagery are you, you slippery wascal?

May 16, 2013 at 4:03 pm |
    • Heathen Mike

Steve, regarding your rhetorical question: "Why don't those who are gay realize that it is not about their perceptions it is God's that matters."
      The obvious problem with that is deciding, if you actually believe in the Biblical God, then which interpretation to go with.
      Who gets to say what God's deal is? I certainly wouldn't trust hate-spewing blowhards to be in charge of declaring what God thinks. If you Christians could even just get that little task right, Christianity would not have split into so many competing denominations.

May 19, 2013 at 2:03 am |
  18. Saraswati

@Bill, This is kind of an aside since I don't think we're really going to determine someone's mental health status at this kind of distance. But I've found fascinating the recent work on the relationship between schizophrenia, bolar disorder and creativity. Many researchers now look at it as a continuum. I'd love to be an author, but may main issue write now is whether to think of myself as not creative enough or too sane?

An interesting evolutionary question is even raised as to whether the trait is advantageous in a milder form and that's why it stays around:

A little like the sickle cell theories. Anyway, not particularly relevant to the discussion except in so far as all creative people might be thought of as a "little crazy", but often in a good way.

May 16, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

Crazy is such a subjective term...When I was committed, I started convincing the doctors they were crazy...they had to let me out.

May 16, 2013 at 12:28 pm |
    • Saraswati

Moved into correct thread on previous page.

May 16, 2013 at 12:38 pm |
    • Science

RC...................lmfao

Peace

May 16, 2013 at 12:58 pm |
  19. Michael

The original text of the Bible doesn't condemn gay people. A simple Google search provides a wealth of verifiable facts. Anyone who wants to deny this fact is the person who doesn't actually want to know the Truth.

May 16, 2013 at 10:28 am |
    • Science

About 377,000 results (0.68 seconds).......google.............on this article !

May 16, 2013 at 10:38 am |
    • Science

lol??........................numbers .

When Christians become a 'hated minority'...........google it.

About 6,900,000 results (0.22 seconds

When Christians become a 'hated minority' facebook

About 4,320,000 results (0.21 seconds

May 16, 2013 at 10:53 am |
    • Michael

Maybe Christians wouldn't be a so-called hated minority if a lot of them weren't using God as their main excuse to hate others.

May 16, 2013 at 1:54 pm |
  20. Michael

Why does CNN now insist on burying any gay related story as much as possible? I come to this site a few times daily just to see what they're reporting on regarding LGBT issues and the only way I found this is through a search. The sad part is the ONLY people who complain about CNN covering LGBT issues are those FOX viewers who have to come here since FOX isn't tough enough to have any forums. It's a pity CNN is quickly turning into FOX 2.0

May 16, 2013 at 10:20 am |
    • myweightinwords

If you'll notice, this article is hardly "buried"....it IS however on the BELIEF blog, because it is an opinion piece and it belongs here. It also has a fair number of comments.

Perhaps your anger is blinding you? And before you lambaste me for being anti-gay, I am a bi-sexual myself, and strongly support equal rights for all.

May 16, 2013 at 1:19 pm |
    • Michael

Do you even know what 'buried' means?

May 16, 2013 at 1:46 pm |