home
RSS
May 11th, 2013

My Take: ‘Gay Christian’ is not an oxymoron

Editor’s note: Justin Lee is the Executive Director of the Gay Christian Network and author of Torn: Rescuing the Gospel from the Gays-vs.-Christians Debate.

By Justin Lee, Special to CNN

(CNN)–In high school, I was a Christian know-it-all.

My nickname was "God boy," and I was known for regularly preaching at my friends about social issues of the day. I dismissed their objections - and accusations of homophobia - as intolerance for my faith.

"I'm just telling you what God's Word says," I'd argue.

Years later I realized my mistake. What my peers most objected to wasn't my beliefs - it was my condescending attitude. I debated and preached when I should have listened. I thought that stating my position loudly and unyieldingly was a sign of strength. In the process, I alienated my friends.

I'm still an evangelical Christian, but one thing is now crystal clear to me. American evangelicals' bad reputation isn't just because of what we believe. It's mostly because of how we behave.

When ESPN commentator Chris Broussard was criticized for saying that openly gay NBA player Jason Collins was “openly rebelling against God,” some evangelicals argued that conservative theological views are no longer tolerated in America.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

But they're missing the point.

Broussard's language didn't just express a religious view about sexual morality; it referred to gay people in ways that were dehumanizing, reducing all gay people's lives to a single sex act. Other outspoken Christians routinely say even worse things, comparing gay people to pedophiles, for example.

No one is immune from criticism in a free country with diverse beliefs. But if Christians feel particularly singled out at times, I'd argue that our perceived lack of empathy for others is largely to blame.

I can often test a Christian's level of empathy by offering a single admission: When I was 18, I realized that I'm gay.

Empathetic Christians are typically intrigued by such a statement, even if they also question how a conservative Southern Baptist could also be openly gay. They want to know about my struggles, how my family and church responded, and whether I ever feel my faith and sexuality are at odds with one another.

I love these questions, because they show that the other person genuinely sees me as a human being.

But far too often, Christians respond not with curiosity and questions but with politics and preaching.

They quote Bible passages at me, make assumptions about my faith, or tell me why they’re opposed to same-sex marriage.

I'm no longer a person to them; I'm a symbol of a culture war. A battlefield. And when I don't want to be treated that way, they assume I'm turning away because I didn't really want to hear the truth.

This kind of behavior is why so many of my LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) friends want nothing to do with the church.

But it's not only them.

In my book, "Torn: Rescuing the Gospel from the Gays-vs.-Christians Debate," I share the story of Cindy, a conservative evangelical mom whose life was thrown into turmoil when her son told her he was gay.

This wasn't a political question for Cindy; it was a personal one. But the dehumanizing rhetoric about gay people she heard from the pulpit made her afraid to talk to anyone at church about her son's sexuality.

Christians are not a monolithic group. I know many empathetic Christians, including many who speak up regularly for their LGBT brothers and sisters.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The loudest megaphones do not speak for the rest of us, but they are still loud, and legion. To them I say: Gay people are not an issue. We're people. Some of us are Christians, too. And if it disturbs you that I refer to myself as both gay and Christian, I invite you to take the time to get to know me, and read what I write. You don't have to agree, and you might think I’m a sinner, but at least you’ll see me as a human being.

Perhaps a lesson in Jesus-style humility might do us all some good.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Justin Lee.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Homosexuality • Opinion

soundoff (3,629 Responses)
  1. Saints, sinners and sinners

The scriptures say that 'all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God' .
    We acknowledge we are sinners, we repent and accept the reconciliation with God through Christ Jesus.

May 12, 2013 at 6:50 pm |
    • Bob

Saints, amen. That is the simplicity of the gospel. God reconciling the world to Himself through Christ. One must receive His free gift of eternal life by faith, and Jesus becomes Savior and Lord of our lives. amen

May 12, 2013 at 7:03 pm |
    • Observer

Good. Now will you stop the HYPOCRISY by ignoring your faults while picking on gays?

May 12, 2013 at 7:05 pm |
    • Loki

You may as well see salvation in Thor for all the good it will do you.

May 12, 2013 at 7:07 pm |
    • Mordecai

You are in the wrong article if you are looking for Thor

May 12, 2013 at 7:09 pm |

Observer,

Genesis 18:20

May 12, 2013 at 9:06 pm |
  2. lol??

Show us your god (A)theists and (A)gnostics so the Christians can poke fun, too. Out of the closet, pronto.

OOOOoohhhhh wait, this just in. You created your gubmint to be a god, and he's visible. Copy of Sodom. Mob power.

May 12, 2013 at 6:49 pm |
    • mama k

Surely there must be a good theocracy out there for you somewhere, lol??.

May 12, 2013 at 6:53 pm |
    • lol??

Were you a born bully like Lindsay Lohan ??

May 12, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

What are you smoking tonight lol? Or is it that magic cool-aid they keep feeding you at the indoctrination/brainwashing centre?

May 12, 2013 at 7:06 pm |
    • Seriously?

Your example of a bully is . . . Lindsay Lohan?

May 12, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
    • lol??

Yup, LL claims to have been bullied, so she turned into one. You know the story, "I'm an abuser cuz I was abused!!"

May 12, 2013 at 7:31 pm |
  3. Bob

Right, gay christian is not a contradiction. I'll buy that when I believe that sin isn't wrong, and evil is good. Then "gay christian" will make perfect sense to me.

May 12, 2013 at 6:40 pm |
    • The Further Adventures of Tunaman!

Being a gay Christian is like being a Jewish Nazi: it's just no a good to ally oneself to a group that fundamentally wants to destroy you.

May 12, 2013 at 6:47 pm |
    • lol??

Who are the children playing in the womb allied with??

May 12, 2013 at 6:54 pm |
    • Bob

Further, excellent post! And further still, to a group that will be destroyed unless they repent.

May 12, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
    • lol??

I try to make sense, but it just never works out.

May 12, 2013 at 7:00 pm |
    • Observer

Bob,

What's the problem with gay Christians? Christian churches are full of Christian adulterers who remarried and Christians with tattoos, etc. Hypocrisy is no issue for many Christians.

May 12, 2013 at 7:00 pm |
    • Mark From Middle River

They said the same thing when African Americans and Asians joined the military.

May 12, 2013 at 7:00 pm |
    • The Further Adventures of Tunaman

Ah Bob, that's so cute (in an 8-year-old way), but of course it is the Christians trying to destroy he gays, and not the other way around.

May 12, 2013 at 7:01 pm |
    • Bob

Observer, while hypocrisy is a fact of life, are you suggesting that it be promoted by churches? I don't think that would be a good policy for most churches. I don't know, mabye its just me?

May 12, 2013 at 7:07 pm |
    • Bob

Further, unrepentent "gays" will be destroyed sure enough, but not by Christians.

May 12, 2013 at 7:09 pm |
    • Saraswati

It depends whether you think a religion can grow and evolve. If a religion is based on an immutable book believed to be perfect and literal that is very different from a religion believed to be primarily revealed to the individual with texts written by man which may be imperfect. Which Christianity is is a matter of opinion.

May 12, 2013 at 7:41 pm |
  4. Quite simply

Jesus is.. hold on, this just in. . . HeavenSent is a liar.

May 12, 2013 at 6:30 pm |
    • Jesus Lives!!!!

. . . and he does excellent landscaping at reasonable prices.

May 12, 2013 at 6:37 pm |
    • .

Heavensent lies all the time. Liars for Jesus=good???

May 12, 2013 at 6:41 pm |
    • mama k

lol. well, HS: "A dvocates of s ame-s3x m arriage have never been s uccessful at the b allot box . . ."

May 12, 2013 at 6:55 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

Romans 1:30

May 12, 2013 at 7:17 pm |
  5. Gay Marriage Watch

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfobL3900wI&w=640&h=360]

May 12, 2013 at 6:09 pm |
    • lol??

Who would want to watch??

May 12, 2013 at 6:13 pm |
    • lol??

I wonder if she puts razor blades in the apple pie on holloweenie??

May 12, 2013 at 6:17 pm |
    • HeavenSent

He hath shewed strength with his arm; he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.

Luke 1:51

May 12, 2013 at 6:25 pm |
    • Kroth the Bunny Hammerer

He hath shewed that he canneth not spell for sheet.

May 12, 2013 at 6:27 pm |

Kroth,

For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

Malachi 4:1

May 12, 2013 at 6:33 pm |
    • The Sad Floppy Life of Cluckles the Boneless Chicken

The day cometh when Squiggy the Really Super God will bake cookies for all the chosen. (Macaroons 24:2)

Amen ..

May 12, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
    • Saraswati

Jean Argus is the future. She reminds me of the AARP volunteers who have to teach 30 year old Luddites how to use basic computers apps.

May 12, 2013 at 7:20 pm |
  6. Vic

Salvation at a Glance

Know that Almighty God, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, is infinite in every way. His Grace is infinite.

Blasphemy/Disbelief is the ONLY UNFORGIVABLE sin! Just BELIEVE!!!

Matthew 12:31,32
    "31 “Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. 32 Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come."

John 3:16,17
    "16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him."

John 12:47
    "47 If anyone hears My sayings and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world."

Romans 5:6
    "6 For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly."

Ephesians 2:8,9
    "8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and [a]that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast."

[Scripture is from the New American Standard Bible (NASB)]

May 12, 2013 at 6:02 pm |
    • LinCA

@Vic

You said, "Blasphemy/Disbelief is the ONLY UNFORGIVABLE sin! Just BELIEVE!!!"
      Could you force yourself to believe in the Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy again?

If you are an adult, I doubt you can. If you can't make yourself believe such obvious nonsense, why would you expect anyone else to be able to do it?

May 12, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
    • Kroth the Bunny-Hammerer

Very true. You can rape and murder babies by the dozen, and as long as you are Christian, you get into heaven. But if you are the nicest, most caring and giving person on the planet, it is hell for you if you choose the wrong (or no) god.

God has very egomaniacal and shallow priorities.

May 12, 2013 at 6:08 pm |
    • Vic

@K t B – H

No one in their right mind would condone such hanus crimes! Natural Law, of which is Morality, is revealed to us through Built-in Functions; i.e. Basic Instincts, Intuition & Common Sense!

May 12, 2013 at 6:18 pm |
    • Kroth the Bunny Hammerer

Hanus? Really?

As your own scriptures show, the only question about salvation is obedience. Nothing else matters.

The Son of Sam is all Jesusy now, so he gets heaven and many of his victims don't. Seems like good policy, eh?

May 12, 2013 at 6:25 pm |
    • Observer

"Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven"

Murder? You're forgiven. R@pe? You're forgiven. Say some WORDS that are bad about God? Now that is REALLY bad.

Why would anyone brag that God is so HEARTLESS?

May 12, 2013 at 6:28 pm |
    • The Sad Floppy Life of Cluckles the Boneless Chicken

The only sin is to not be a snivelling toady.

May 12, 2013 at 6:29 pm |

Unbelievers are written throughout His truth ... such as,

Romans 1:30

May 12, 2013 at 6:30 pm |
    • Observer

HeavenSent,

Only believers can hate God. Talk to your fellow Christians.

May 12, 2013 at 6:42 pm |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

"Blasphemy/Disbelief is the ONLY UNFORGIVABLE sin! Just BELIEVE!!!"

Do you not find it the least bit wrong that your good loving god would demand idolization....something it apparently thinks is a sin otherwise?
      I don't believe in your imaginary friend and I do not worry about his imaginary torture chamber. You have zero evidence outside of the buybull for your claims and until you do, there simply is no justifiable reasons to believe them. Like a good read of Grimms Fairy Tales, your book is no different. Btw: if by that very very slim chance that I am wrong and you are right, I'll be thankful to be any place people who think like you are not.

May 12, 2013 at 7:14 pm |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

HS: Do you hate Thor and Odin?

May 12, 2013 at 7:15 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Observer, wolves in sheep's clothing walk on every path of life.

May 12, 2013 at 8:13 pm |

Prevails,

[He is] the Rock, his work [is] perfect: for all his ways [are] judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right [is] he.

Deuteronomy 32:4

May 12, 2013 at 8:19 pm |
    • Dippy

What does "hanus" mean?

May 12, 2013 at 9:28 pm |
    • Saraswati

@HS, I'm curious too on the question of whether you hate Thor and Odin?

May 12, 2013 at 9:30 pm |
  7. lionlylamb

HeavenSent,

Look here! No! Look there! For this is what many folks say, even of Christian persuasions. Few know well the whereabouts of the kingdom domains of the Gods' locations. Many are too busy with 'televised' fascinations of personalized variables running in seemingly unending tandem ever to be wary in the recognitions begetting 'out-of-the-box' scenarios being leveled against long held stagnant sets of scientific theories viewed as kempt beliefs but are really biased sentiments of fragmented ideologies not yet set in stone.

May 12, 2013 at 5:53 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Romans 1 is true today as it will be for eternity.

May 12, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
  8. lol??

Mama K, aren't you tired of ovens yet??

May 12, 2013 at 5:32 pm |
    • mama k

Ovens? I try not to bake too much – plus warmer weather is approaching, so it's silly to heat up the house when you can pick up some pretty tasty baked goods nearby.

May 12, 2013 at 5:34 pm |
    • The Sad Floppy Life of Cluckles the Boneless Chicken

I'm tired of morons, but you keep showing up anyway.

May 12, 2013 at 5:39 pm |

Revelation 21:8.

May 12, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
  9. lol??

What kind of attributes does a god have to possess to meet the qualifications necessary for an A&A to believe?????

May 12, 2013 at 5:12 pm |
    • Droopy Dan

He would have to exist, unlike your phoney god.

May 12, 2013 at 5:13 pm |

Nuthin' upstairs??

May 12, 2013 at 5:16 pm |
    • The Sad Floppy Life of Clickles the Boneless Chicken

Are you talking about the A & A Pekingese Rescue, or the A & A Spermicidal Condoms Company?

May 12, 2013 at 5:17 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

A & A?

May 12, 2013 at 5:19 pm |
    • mama k

Arts and Actors, Booty. lol?? thinks all artist and actors are "socie's".

May 12, 2013 at 5:31 pm |
    • The Sad Floppy Life of Cluckles the Boneless Chicken

I rather hoped it was absinthe and apricots.

May 12, 2013 at 5:33 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

I'd like for a God to exist if I'm to believe in it. I'd like for there to be a means leading to belief in it such that if it exists I will believe, and if it does not exist I will not believe.

May 12, 2013 at 5:44 pm |

Romans 1.

May 12, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
    • Bill & Ted

Ted: Be excellent to each other.

May 12, 2013 at 6:03 pm |
    • What IF

lol??
      "What kind of attributes does a god have to possess to meet the qualifications necessary for an A&A to believe?"

Not sure. I'll bet that a real smart god (if it existed) would know, though, huh?... and would also know how to convince us. You, convincing?... not so much (in fact, not at all).

May 12, 2013 at 6:03 pm |
  10. tallulah13

A person born gay is just as likely to be indoctrinated into the faith of their parents or community as someone born straight. Therefore, gay christian is indeed not an oxymoron. Just another part of the culture.

May 12, 2013 at 5:12 pm |
    • HeavenSent

No eyes to see or ears to hear His truth.

Romans 7:7

What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet. KJV

Exodus 20:1717

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's. KJV

May 12, 2013 at 5:45 pm |

tallulah,

Isaiah 29:16

Surely your turning of things upside down shall be esteemed as the potter's clay: for shall the work say of him that made it, He made me not? or shall the thing framed say of him that framed it, He had no understanding?

May 12, 2013 at 5:48 pm |
    • Obvious

HS + BS = BS

May 12, 2013 at 6:16 pm |

Obvious.

Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.

John 2:22

May 12, 2013 at 6:46 pm |
    • tallulah13

HS, you are a sad, small-minded person. If you weren't so malicious and nasty, I'd feel sorry for you.

May 12, 2013 at 10:06 pm |
    • Saraswati

All of this nutty looking bible quoting is really much less disturbing now that I get that they think there's a magical holy spirit talking through it. I mean, yeah, that's oddish in itself, but a lot less odd than someone thinking quoting the bible at a non-believer would be persuasive WITHOUT supernatural powers. I can deal with an odd premise more easily than what looks otherwise like blatant irrationality. This really is the most enlightening thing I've learned here in a while and I just wanted to point it out again in case like me anyone else had missed this important point of the belief of this group of Christians. At least to me it explains a lot.

May 12, 2013 at 10:18 pm |
  11. lol??

LJL. "............brain-damaged people..........."AHhh sooo. Not so comedic The h0m0's call the entire population of hetero's "straight" but get offended when you call them Qweirdos. Brooklyn theatre at it's finest. Can't keep Vegas in Vegas, either, wise guys..

May 12, 2013 at 5:01 pm |
    • The Sad Floppy Life of Cluckles the Boneless Chicken

Make sure you get out and shout that on the street corners. Telling people what you really believe will definitely create more Nones.

May 12, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
    • mama k

That's for sure, Sad Floppy. When I see stuff from lol??, I sometimes print them out and show them to some of my Christian friends so they know better what I mean when I talk to them about some of the conflict that they don't usually see.

May 12, 2013 at 5:09 pm |
    • lol??

A Konflicted mama K is the result of the XX takin' over. Obey yer hubby.

May 12, 2013 at 5:14 pm |

" Obey yer hubby."

LOL – thanks for that one, lol?? I'll definitely print that one out – my church-lady friends will love that one.

May 12, 2013 at 5:56 pm |
    • lol??

Did you edumacate em mama K or did they learn to read in spite of you??

May 12, 2013 at 6:09 pm |
  12. Gay Marriage Watch

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9TIjqGLcMw&w=640&h=360]

(from 2010 before gay marriage became legal in New York)

May 12, 2013 at 4:57 pm |

John 2:22

May 12, 2013 at 6:49 pm |
  13. Chad

"Baptist minister and author Tony Campolo quips that Jesus entreated Christians not to "love the sinner and hate the sin," but to "love the sinner and hate your own sin.""

That is undoubtedly 100% true.
    At the same time, He also said "go and sin no more"

so, "love the sinner and hate your own sin." doesnt mean "accept the sinners sin and make them feel good about it so they dont feel condemned".

You are absolutely correct that the sin we should be most concerned with is the one each of us is engaging in, at the same time Jesus never called us to accept or endorse sin in others.

Ultimately, do I want people encouraging me to engage in behavior that I know God does not approve of? What kind of a friend does that?

May 12, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
    • Eno

Given that your god in your bible encourages murder and slavery, seems like your field of accepted behaviors is pretty wide open Chad. You should consider tossing your religion. The Golden Rule is a way better start for morals.

May 12, 2013 at 4:44 pm |
    • .

"Jesus saved his harshest words for the self-righteously devout and chose the outcasts and sinners as his closest friends."

This.
      This is what Jesus meant, not your little self-righteous tirade. It's not up to YOU to judge at ALL, Chad. So stop it. Worry about your OWN behaviour, prideful one. You have got to be one of the worst Christians I have ever encountered on this blog.

May 12, 2013 at 4:46 pm |
    • JMEF

If you consider lying a "sin", why would you come on this blog day after day and lie your asz off? Just hypocrisy or go you have an agenda?

May 12, 2013 at 4:47 pm |
    • Chad

Murder? no, never.

God provided guidelines to ensure that slaves were treated fairly.

You really should consider getting familiar with Gods actions in the context of redeeming man. It remains a mystery to me why so many people spend so much time criticizing something they know so little of.

May 12, 2013 at 4:49 pm |
    • Woof

Nice rationalization of repression and intolerance, you dingbat.

So you would have others do that unto you?

May 12, 2013 at 4:50 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Most quoted in the Golden Rule (read by those that refuse to follow Jesus' truth) is Jesus Christ.

May 12, 2013 at 4:51 pm |
    • Droopy Dan

Jesus is not quoted in the "Golden Rule", you blithering idiot! It predates him (and Christianity) by millennia.

May 12, 2013 at 4:56 pm |
    • faith

This.

hey. what's the big idea? no offense but chad is an angel compared to certain god-hating Nazi fascists.

May 12, 2013 at 4:57 pm |
    • JMEF

Woof
      Love that. Do you think that Chad is already a "slave" to Christian apologetics? So how was the sermon today Chad, make you feel good all over?

May 12, 2013 at 4:58 pm |
    • Apparently Chad has never read the bible or he has a bizarre definition of " treated fairly"

20 “Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, 21 but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property.
      Exodus 21:20-21

May 12, 2013 at 5:02 pm |
    • redzoa

"Murder? no, never."

The drowning of children and infants in the flood and the commanded slaughter of Amalekite children and infants meets any standard definition of "murder." See Model Penal Code Sections 210.0 – 210.4.

"God provided guidelines to ensure that slaves were treated fairly."

First, this a concession that God condoned slavery, i.e. He didn't expressly forbid it as immoral. Second, the rules were principally to protect the Israelites, whereas foreign slaves became personal property.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MFmC6BD1B4&w=640&h=360]

I'll let someone else deal with the inevitable apologetic BS that comes in reply . . .

May 12, 2013 at 5:05 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Droopy, Jesus Christ is the most quoted in the Golden Rule for those that have eyes to see and ears to hear His truth.

I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

Revelation 1:8

May 12, 2013 at 5:08 pm |
    • Droopy Dan

Funny how God gave the Golden Rule to the Ancient Egyptians a couple thousand years before he gave it to Jews and Christians.

Not that any of them ever bother to obey their own rules.

May 12, 2013 at 5:12 pm |
    • JMEF

Chad
      All sorts of murder and mayhem in the OT, I think you will agree. Lets say there is only one in the NT, that being god allowing his only son to be wrongfully accused and crucified, nice Dad.

May 12, 2013 at 5:13 pm |
    • tallulah13

As usual, HS is an ignorant prat who would rather deny reality than accept that her religion is not as unique as she claims.

May 12, 2013 at 5:18 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Romans 1:30 and 2 Timothy 3:2.

May 12, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
    • Chad

Killing:An act of causing death, esp. deliberately.
      Murder: The unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

If you are going to talk about the actions of the God of Israel, you'll need to do so within the context of the Judeo/Christian belief. God is omnipotent, nothing He does is "unlawful" and everything He does has an overarching purpose of reconciliation.

====

May 12, 2013 at 6:15 pm |
    • Chad

@JMEF "All sorts of murder and mayhem in the OT, I think you will agree. Lets say there is only one in the NT, that being god allowing his only son to be wrongfully accused and crucified, nice Dad"

=>you should never try a post on biblical content.. Never having read it, you're always going to be wrong.

see:
      – Ananias and Sapphira Luke 5
      – Herod Acts 12

May 12, 2013 at 6:21 pm |
    • JMEF

Chad

May 12, 2013 at 6:28 pm |
    • Chad

@JMEF "Well now I get it. The omnipotent god allows his followers to carry out inquisitions, slavery, murder, and any sort of crime but it is all the will of your god. I did not realize how crazy you are until that post."

=>no, you didnt understand the post, because you didnt look any of the verses up and you never read the bible in the first place.. That is one of the major problems talking to atheists..

Secondly, I see absolutely no scriptural support anywhere for crusades or inquisitions. I consider those to be horrific chapters in Christian history..

May 12, 2013 at 6:33 pm |
    • lionlylamb

Chad,

This world was and still is and forever will be wrought full of seemingly detestable social Acts. All reaches of varying s e x u a l fantasies will forever be the human-condition. The newer earth is now beginning to release a climactic congeniality of ever spreading societal w h o r e d o m s the likes this world never knew.

May 12, 2013 at 6:33 pm |
    • The Sad Floppy Life of Cluckles the Boneless Chicken

Anyone who thinks that the slavery of the Bible is the good kind of slavery is a total moron ignorant of the brutal realities of what that slavery actually consisted of.

May 12, 2013 at 6:34 pm |
    • Chad

@lionylamb

do you use a big word sentence generator?

May 12, 2013 at 6:35 pm |
    • Science

Chad and LL wearing devils horn somewhere.........................but it is to graphic to put it in print !!!

May 12, 2013 at 6:38 pm |
    • JMEF

Chad
      Your condescending replies do not phase me a bit. You claim to know what I have investigated about your judeo-christian religion, what investigation have you done into all the other god/belief systems? Saying yours refutes all the others is the same as all others saying that they refute your belief system, BS.

May 12, 2013 at 6:41 pm |
    • lionlylamb

Chad asked me, "do you use a big word sentence generator?"

Chad, I'm 58 and have had many years to establish a well lain vocabulary. I just keep on a trucking and a bucking!

May 12, 2013 at 6:52 pm |
    • JMEF

Chad
      I see no scriptural support of the crimes of the Christians, just your all loving omnipotent god allowing that sh1t to go down. How convenient for you, you may as well have worshiped SATAN, same, same.

May 12, 2013 at 6:52 pm |
    • redzoa

“Killing:An act of causing death, esp. deliberately.
      Murder: The unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.”

See Model Penal Code Sections below. Your definitions, while admittedly “standard” in the lay sense, are not the definitions applied in an actual criminal prosecution.

“If you are going to talk about the actions of the God of Israel, you'll need to do so within the context of the Judeo/Christian belief.”

Ah, no I don’t. There is no logical requirement that you first accept the tenants of a belief or confine yourself to commenting within the framework of those tenants. You don’t have to believe Huck Finn actually existed, nor do you need to confine your comments within the perspective of “Southern Slavery” culture, to analyze the behaviors depicted in Twain’s book.

“God is omnipotent, nothing He does is "unlawful" and everything He does has an overarching purpose of reconciliation.”

Your references to “premeditated” and “unlawful” are why your definitions fail. In actual practice, the definition of “murder” is simpler:

From the Model Penal Code:

Section 210.1 Criminal Homicide
      (1) A person is guilty of criminal homicide if he purposely, knowingly, recklessly or negligently causes the death of another human being.
      (2) Criminal homicide is murder, manslaughter or negligent homicide.

Section 210.2 Murder
      (1) Except as provided in Section 210.3(1)(b), criminal homicide const-itutes murder when:
      (a) it is committed purposely or knowingly; or
      (b) it is committed recklessly under circ-umstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life. Such recklessness and indifference are presumed if the actor is engaged or is an accomplice in the commission of, or an attempt to commit, or flight after committing or attempting to commit robbery, ra-pe or deviate se-xual int-ercourse by force or threat of force, arson, burglary, kidnapping or felonious escape.
      (Here, Section 210.3(1)(b) describes Manslaughter, i.e. a Murder committed under extreme mental or emotional distress)

§ 2.02. General Requirements of Culpability.
      (a) Purposely.
      A person acts purposely with respect to a material element of an offense when:
      (i) if the element involves the nature of his conduct or a result thereof, it is his conscious object to engage in conduct of that nature or to cause such a result; and
      (ii) if the element involves the attendant circ-umstances, he is aware of the existence of such circ-umstances or he believes or hopes that they exist.
      (b) Knowingly.
      A person acts knowingly with respect to a material element of an offense when:
      (i) if the element involves the nature of his conduct or the attendant circ-umstances, he is aware that his conduct is of that nature or that such circ-umstances exist; and
      (ii) if the element involves a result of his conduct, he is aware that it is practically certain that his conduct will cause such a result.

Premeditation is not a requirement for “murder.” Furthermore, “murder” is “unlawful” according to God’s own law. That a murder is sanctioned by a law-giver doesn’t render it “not murder”; it simply becomes an “authorized murder.”

“Slavery: the reason atheists are loath to gain any understanding of slavery in the bible, is because A) They seemingly never want to have any understanding of that which they purport to criticize.
      B) If they actually did understand it, it would reveal the inaccuracy of their criticisms...”

This does not respond to the criticism of Biblically-endorsed slavery, nor does it address the specific verses as identified in the YouTube clip. In fact, your "lack of understanding" response is the precise basis for the satire in the clip above.

May 14, 2013 at 1:15 am |
  14. mama k

I see from some of the comments and questions that some still don't have a basic education about homosexuality. Muslims lead the way as having the most uneducated, disenfranchising stance toward gays. But many Christians are not far behind. Just last week CNN reported some gays being arrested in Zambia which is a predominantly Christian nation.

Christianity has always been conflicted on social issues, but this current hot topic really highlights the extremism within Christianity. One sect calls homosexuality an abomination while the next one (over four million members) in the same denomination is already performing gay marriage. Thomas Jefferson hit the nail on the head over 200 years ago:

Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth.

(from Notes on the State of Virginia, 1785)

Some claim that Christianity and science are not incompatible, yet we find many who continue to ignore current scientific knowledge on the issue of homosexuality. Is the problem poor education, steadfastness to one's own flavor of biblical interpretation, or both?

Whatever your religion, whatever your belief, with gay marriage coming quickly to the U.S., now is the time to at least have a basic education about homosexuality.

The following is long, but note the quote from Professor MIchael King below in the section on psychology.
    =========================================================
    Psychology

The American Psychological Association states "there are probably many reasons for a person's sexual orientation and the reasons may be different for different people", and says most people's sexual orientation is determined at an early age. Research into how sexual orientation in males may be determined by genetic or other prenatal factors plays a role in political and social debates about homosexuality, and also raises concerns about genetic profiling and prenatal testing."

Professor Michael King states: "The conclusion reached by scientists who have investigated the origins and stability of sexual orientation is that it is a human characteristic that is formed early in life, and is resistant to change. Scientific evidence on the origins of homosexuality is considered relevant to theological and social debate because it undermines suggestions that sexual orientation is a choice."

The Royal College of Psychiatrists stated in 2007:

"Despite almost a century of psychoanalytic and psychological speculation, there is no substantive evidence to support the suggestion that the nature of parenting or early childhood experiences play any role in the formation of a person's fundamental heterosexual or homosexual orientation. It would appear that sexual orientation is biological in nature, determined by a complex interplay of genetic factors and the early uterine environment. Sexual orientation is therefore not a choice."

Biology

The following is from the article:

Homosexuality ultimately a result of gene regulation, researchers find (12/11/2012 – LiveScience)

[ The search for a "gay gene" may be off-target, new research finds. Another process called epigenetics that switches genes on and off may explain why homosexuality runs in families.

Epigenetics are heritable changes caused by factors other than DNA. Instead of traits getting passed down through the genes, epigenetic change happens because of the way genes are regulated, or turned on and off.

These genetic regulators may be the reason homosexuality persists in nature despite the fact that gay people are less likely to reproduce, suggests the new study published in the journal The Quarterly Review of Biology.

"These things have evolved because they're good for the parents, but they sometimes, not [with] high frequency, but sometimes carry over" into offspring, study researcher William Rice, an evolutionary geneticist at the University of California, Santa Barbara, told LiveScience. In a male fetus, Rice and his colleagues write, an epigenetic change that benefited the mother may lead to "feminization" of sexual preference — homo- or bisexuality. The same may be true for epigenetic changes passed down by dad to a female fetus. (The terms feminization and masculinization of sexual preference refer to sexual orientation only — not to physical or personality traits of the offspring.)

The findings add to past research suggesting gay men haven't died out, because female relatives of gay men tend to have more children on average than other females. The study researchers specifically found that two genes passed on through the maternal line could produce this effect.

Hormones, epigenetics and orientation

Rice and his colleagues focused on epi-marks, which are molecular changes that act like temporary "switches" to turn genes on and off. If a gene is a blueprint, the epi-mark is the construction foreman who makes sure the product gets built. An epi-mark also determines when, where and how much a gene is expressed, according to the National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis.

These molecular switches are usually erased very early in the developmental process, but they can be passed down from generation to generation, too, Rice said.

Some epi-marks are particularly important during fetal development, when they promote normal physical development in the sexes despite natural variations in testosterone during pregnancy. Researchers know that fetal exposure to too much testosterone can masculinize the genitals, brain or behavior of a genetically female fetus. Likewise, too little testosterone can make a genetically male fetus more feminized.

But here's the catch: There's lots of overlap between the levels of testosterone male and female fetuses get exposed to. That means there must be another side to the story, Rice and his colleagues wrote.

That side appears to be epigenetics, Rice said.

"Early in development, we think these epi-marks are laid down so that girl fetuses will be relatively insensitive to testosterone and male fetuses will be relatively sensitive to testosterone," Rice said.

Biological behavior

Thus, if an epi-mark that kept a mother from getting exposed to high testosterone in development gets passed on to her son — the opposite sex — it could desensitize him to testosterone, contributing to his sexual preference for men. Similarly, if a male-specific epi-mark from dad gets passed to a daughter, it could "masculinize" her sexual preference, making her more interested in women.

These findings could explain why twin studies show that homosexuality runs in families, but no "gay gene" can be found, Rice said. In identical twins, there's about a 20 percent chance that if one twin is gay, the other will be too. If genetic change were responsible for homosexuality, you'd expect a much higher match, Rice said. Epigenetics, however, can explain the heritability without the need for a specific genetic change.

The hypothesis could be tested by examining epigenetic marks in parents of kids with gay versus straight offspring, Rice said. There are, of course, concerns that this knowledge could be used by parents who want to avoid gay offspring, Rice said, but that concern already exists around certain hormonal conditions in utero, which are known to contribute to an increased chance of offspring being lesbians.

"That cat's already out of the bag," Rice said. He added that an understanding of the biological underpinnings of homosexuality could help emphasize that same-sex behavior is not "unnatural."

"In fact, it's a major part of the natural world," Rice said. Fourteen percent of Western gulls raise chicks in female-female pairs, he pointed out. And 8 percent of male sheep show zero interest in fertile ewes, but get sexually excited by other rams. ]
    =========================================================

May 12, 2013 at 4:23 pm |
    • HeavenSent

[This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Galatians 5:16

May 12, 2013 at 4:31 pm |
    • HeavenSent

My cats provide all the flesh I need. Not that I could get any, anywhere else.

May 12, 2013 at 4:46 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Phony heavesent posting her nonsense under my handle is nothing new.

May 12, 2013 at 4:54 pm |

Phony heavensent,

Romans 7:7

Exodus 20:1717

May 12, 2013 at 4:56 pm |
    • lol??

Momster K, I don't want your vision of education. Try a science blog. Or a kommie one.

May 12, 2013 at 4:57 pm |
    • mama k

Too bad, lol?? Current laws on education run in my favor anyway. You're always welcome to find yourself a nice theocracy somewhere.

May 12, 2013 at 5:07 pm |

Socies and refugees
      Go together like cream and cheese

May 12, 2013 at 5:11 pm |
    • HeavenSent

mama k, you atheists force your religion of no religion on the school children. Look at the statistics of evil and violence have occurred since you insisted your evil and chaos rules supreme in the US and worldwide.

May 12, 2013 at 5:11 pm |
    • tallulah13

The christians on this site are not actually interested in information, truth or reality. That would require thinking, and they don't seem comfortable with the notion of thinking, at least thinking for themselves.

May 12, 2013 at 5:21 pm |
    • Austin bluff.

And the atheists on this blog have no interest in feeeling anything but their own arrogant rage

May 12, 2013 at 5:24 pm |
    • mama k

Nonsense, HS. It is not the duty of the public school systems to play the part of spiritual adviser – they have their hands full. I'm open to the idea of an voter-approved addition of some kind on intro to ethics for grade-schoolers to remind them of what they hopefully are being shown before grade school, but with ~21% non-Christian classrooms, there is no going back to some previous method that would be fair.

May 12, 2013 at 5:25 pm |

tallulah13,
      Your version of thinking resulted from being taught to the test.. No thanks.

May 12, 2013 at 5:26 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Psalms 33:4 For the word of the LORD [is] right; and all his works [are done] in truth.

Amen,

May 12, 2013 at 5:27 pm |
    • mama k

I guess that means HS has run out of any real answers.

May 12, 2013 at 5:29 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Romans 1:30 and 2 Timothy 3:2.

May 12, 2013 at 6:08 pm |
    • tallulah13

Taught to the test? Is that what all the mind-dead idiots are calling it when people pay attention to the real world, instead of burying their heads in biblical sand?

May 12, 2013 at 10:08 pm |
    • required

A single bible is worth more than all the gold bars, treasure, money, power... anything, in the entire world.

You just don't know it.

May 13, 2013 at 12:42 am |
    • tallulah13

The bible has certainly proven to be a cash cow for those televangelists who make money off of the gullible.

May 13, 2013 at 1:13 am |
  15. Gay Marriage Watch

Same-se-x marriage in the U.S.

Done deal: Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington & the District of Columbia.

Who's next?
    Illinois: Gov. Pat Quinn called on the Illinois House to send him legislation to legalize gay marriage, saying lawmakers had plenty of time to make up their mind on the issue. The state Senate passed the measure on Valentine's Day, and the governor has said he's ready to sign it.

New Jersey: Gov. Christie doesn't seem to be against gay marriage coming from a ballot measure, but has stated in the past he would veto such a change from legislators. This was his stance before the President changed his views. If Christie reconsiders, NJ could be sooner than expected.

California: It seems gay marriage will be in CA soon one way or the other. This is because polls show a much larger support for gay marriage than when Prop 8 was passed. So even if the upcoming SCOTUS case were to fail, it would likely be put to voters there very soon again.

Hawaii: Already has some good laws on the books evidently, and although things have been put on hold until after 2013, legislators there are attempting to speed up the process.

==========================
    Let's see around the globe:

Done deal: Argentina, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Iceland, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Uruguay, & portions of Brazil.

In the works:

France: Has already passed same-se-x marriage bill in both houses; president intends to sign; right-wing party plans to challenge in the Consti tutional Council to try to force a delay on enactment.

Germany: On 22 March 2013 the Bundesrat passed an initiative to open marriage to same-se-x couples, which now moves onto the Bundestag for approval.

Ireland: On 14 April 2013 as part of the Consti tutional Convention a measure voted in favour of same-se-x marriage by a margin of 79 percent.

UK: On 5 February 2013, the House of Commons debated the Marriage (Same Se-x Couples) Bill and approved it in a 400–175 vote at the second reading. (Third reading to be scheduled.)

Finland: 03-19-2013: The citizens' initiative overrides the committee's decision, and thus the bill must now be considered by the Parliament.

Brazil: In November 2012, the Court of Bahia legalized same-se-x marriage in the state of Bahia. In December 2012, the state of São Paulo legalized same-se-x marriage. More Brazilian states are considering measures.

Luxembourg: On 6 February 2013, the Chamber's justice committee agreed to approve the measure opening marriage for same-se-x couples. On 20 February, the committee initially backed the right to simple adoption for same-se-x couples. On 6 March 2013, the committee confirmed that position.

Australia: lower house MP will seek to have his Marriage Equality Amendment Bill brought for an immediate vote in the House on June 6.

Mexico: rulings due this summer.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ULdaSrYGLQ&w=640&h=360]

May 12, 2013 at 4:22 pm |
    • HeavenSent

The voice of the voters are silenced as lawmakers are passing said bill without their consent.

May 12, 2013 at 4:40 pm |
    • mama k

"lawmakers", HS? They are called representatives – and they're called that for a reason. Also, three of the recent states legalized gay marriage by ballot measure. Would you like to rephrase that, HS?

May 12, 2013 at 4:52 pm |
    • Droopy Dan

HeavenSent is apparently so astoundingly stupid that she does not know that we live in a republic: voters do not vote on any federal bill and only a few state ones. We have these things called representatives. But the self-pitying "voters got silenced" gig is hilarious!

May 12, 2013 at 4:54 pm |

mama k,

Of course my original answer to your post is blocked on this evil site.

May 12, 2013 at 5:00 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Droopy and Dan, you couldn't get all the voters to agree with that bill.

May 12, 2013 at 5:01 pm |
    • Saraswati

HS, Are you generally opposed to representative democracy or just in this one case?

May 12, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
    • mama k

HS: "you couldn't get all the voters to agree with that bill."

That's right, HS – that's not the way we roll here in the U.S. Let me know if you here a place that works like that.

May 12, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Saraswati, their underhanded practice of passing bills that have been voted for is the issue.

May 12, 2013 at 5:16 pm |
    • HeavenSent

mama k, you practice lies and unrighteousness for which you are proud.

May 12, 2013 at 5:17 pm |
    • The Sad Floppy Life of Clickles the Boneless Chicken

"their underhanded practice of passing bills that have been voted for"

So you think it is wrong to pass bills that have been voted for?

May 12, 2013 at 5:20 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Yes, citizens voted No for that bill the lawmakers are enacting.

May 12, 2013 at 5:23 pm |
    • tallulah13

I think that HS would only be happy if she were able to approve or deny any laws passed. She seems to consider herself as an equal to god, if her habit of speaking for her god is any indication.

May 12, 2013 at 5:23 pm |
    • The Sad Floppy Life of Clickles the Boneless Chicken

That would be "voted against", not "voted for."

English is quite a struggle for you.

May 12, 2013 at 5:27 pm |
    • mama k

HS: "mama k, you practice lies and unrighteousness for which you are proud."

Like . . . . ?

May 12, 2013 at 5:27 pm |
    • mama k

HS: "Yes, citizens voted No for that bill the lawmakers are enacting."

Which bill?

May 12, 2013 at 5:28 pm |
    • Larry

What bill is being passed that voters voted against?

May 12, 2013 at 5:29 pm |

Tallulah,

Life is had "by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God" (i.e. Genesis to Revelation). It is trust in the word of God that saves, as James exhorts,

Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. (James 1:21)

May 12, 2013 at 5:30 pm |
    • Larry

So there is no bill then. It just sounded nice and self-righteous to say it, eh HS? Not that you broke the Ninth Commandment or anything.

May 12, 2013 at 6:05 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Romans 1:30 and 2 Timothy 3:2.

May 12, 2013 at 6:09 pm |

May 12, 2013 at 6:11 pm |
    • Larry

Confirmed then. There is no bill, and Heaven Sent was lying, breaking the Ninth Commandment.

May 12, 2013 at 6:13 pm |
    • Frederated

Actually, Maine passed it through popular vote.

Fortunately, we have this thing called a Constitution which forbids denying rights to one group but not another.

May 12, 2013 at 6:22 pm |
    • mama k

HS: "A dvocates of s ame-s3x m arriage have never been s uccessful at the b allot box when citizens were allow to cast their votes."

Wow – so what exactly happened in Maine, Washington (state) & Maryland then, HS? Do you have proof that citizens were not allowed to cast their votes there?

May 12, 2013 at 6:25 pm |
    • Saraswati

OK, so HS doesn't understand the point of representative democracy and apparently is fantastically ignorant of current events. Just, wow on that statement about the popular votes. Wow.

May 12, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
  16. lol??

Why do A&A's insist on cluttering up the belief blogs with all their phony arguments?? Their religion is filthy RAGS.

Ranting Against God's Servants

May 12, 2013 at 4:10 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

Aardvarks and antelopes?
      Ants and apples?
      aluminiums and alumni?

May 12, 2013 at 4:16 pm |
  17. lionlylamb

Richard Cranium,

Here you go, making causation of block headed issues around a singularized theory of but 'one big bang' when there is a very real plausibility that there are billions perhaps trillions or even more big bangs spread thru the infinity's unending chasms of outer space relationships.

May 12, 2013 at 3:32 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

The Big Bang has already been proven fact. The cause is still under investigation.

May 12, 2013 at 3:41 pm |
    • lionlylamb

Richard Cranium,

So,,, Could there be plausibility regarding unknown amounts of the big bangs that happened and are still happening within all outer space chasms of never ending infinity?

May 12, 2013 at 3:57 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

There is a step before a big bang, who started it, and how it was initiated and by whom, a question never answered.

May 12, 2013 at 4:03 pm |
    • Science

LL...............goofy cartoon...........coming up !

Exotic Atoms Hold Clues to Unsolved Physics Puzzle at the Dawn of the Universe

May 8, 2013 — An international team of physicists has found the first direct evidence of pear shaped nuclei in exotic atoms.

Have to cut the grass LL...............maybe I will find goofy cartoon for you !

May 12, 2013 at 4:12 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Richard Cranium, proven by whom? The liars of this world.

May 12, 2013 at 5:03 pm |
  18. lionlylamb

Richard Cranium,

Any celled structure of living physiologies are uniquely designed and are different from each other in ways yet unknowable by us. Because I have an understanding that there are real similarities between stellar shapes and living cell shapes, my perception does give a new light to see things in a differing angle of human perceptivity. Why do socialists always weigh in upon my perceived visualizations as being headstrong against any view that would dare upset the apple carts?

May 12, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

I am not a socialist so I hope you weren't referring to me.

May 12, 2013 at 3:38 pm |
    • .

You ignoramus, Lamb, we know exactly what out cells contain in the body, and what they don't....and they DON'T contain a itsy bitsy teeny weenie universe in each and every one. Oh yeah....and learn what "socialist" means, you inexorably ignorant idiot. Spatial *this*, moron...

May 12, 2013 at 3:50 pm |
    • lionlylamb

Richard Cranium,

Are you saying then that you are,,,,, ?

May 12, 2013 at 3:51 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

complete the question LL.

May 12, 2013 at 3:57 pm |
    • .

I'm saying that lionlylamb doesn't know a quarter of the definitions of the words he uses....asshat. Just as bad as lol??, using words thay describe no one on the board...

May 12, 2013 at 4:02 pm |
    • lionlylamb

Richard Cranium,

You claim to not be a 'socialist'. So then, what is your branding to be?

May 12, 2013 at 4:26 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

no branding...I neither follow nor lead.

May 12, 2013 at 4:31 pm |
    • lionlylamb

Richard Cranium,

So,,, you say your not of socialism and you neither lead nor follow,,,, just exactly then "what are you"? I am an individualist with having few social dealings. I dare say I love to think, 'outside the boxes' and even, 'break a few bubbles'. So, in your perspectives, "what does my Word, make me out to be"?

May 12, 2013 at 5:11 pm |
  19. Richard Cranium

Two examples of oxymorons.:
    Billy Mays and Anthony Sullivan.

May 12, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
    • Akira

Okay, I laughed...

May 12, 2013 at 2:26 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

High praise Akira...thank you.

May 12, 2013 at 2:27 pm |
  20. Zingo

Judging by the photo, the author is following the Eleventh Commandment: "If thou art gay, shave thine head and make thyself look like a giant penis."

May 12, 2013 at 2:12 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

keep your day job.

May 12, 2013 at 2:13 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

Zingo
      You have accomplished the very same thing with your comment.

May 12, 2013 at 2:18 pm |
    • Zingo

Why thank you.

May 12, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
    • Calvin770D

Zingo, Justin has a condition called Alopecia, causing him to lose his hair.

May 12, 2013 at 2:42 pm |