home
RSS
Who hears #PrayersForOklahoma?
May 21st, 2013

Who hears #PrayersForOklahoma?

By Daniel Burke, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor
[twitter-follow screen_name='BurkeCNN']

(CNN) - God may not notice the thousands of prayers tweeted for victims of Oklahoma’s devastating tornado - but Ricky Gervais sure has. And he is not pleased.

As of Tuesday afternoon, more than 75,000 people have used the hashtag #PrayForOklahoma, including pop starlets, pastors and politicians, according to Topsy.com, a trend-monitoring site.

For example, the White House tweeted,

But the hashtag and the sentiments it promotes prompted a fierce backlash on social media, led by Gervais, a British comedian, and other prominent nonbelievers.

And while one Oklahoma City pastor says he appreciates the Twitter prayers, some religious scholars say devout petitions require more than moving your hands across a keyboard.

"A prayer is supposed to have a consequence for you," said Elizabeth Drescher, a lecturer at Santa Clara University in California. "It's not an act of magic."

Gervais, an ardent foe of organized religion, was more caustic.

After MTV tweeted that pop stars Beyonce, Rihanna and Katy Perry are sending their prayers to Oklahoma, Gervais responded, “I feel like an idiot now … I only sent money.”

Gervais and other atheists also kick-started a counter-trend, using the hashtag #ActuallyDoSomethingForOklahoma.

“If all people are doing is praying, it is worthless,” Hemant Mehta, an Illinois math teacher who writes the blog “Friendly Atheist,” told CNN. “If they are praying and donating to the Red Cross, that’s more like it.”

Mehta is promoting a group called Foundation Beyond Belief that aims to provide a humanist response to crises like the Oklahoma tornado.

The prayer debate spilled into other social media sites as well, with commenters on CNN’s Facebook page sparring over God’s role in Monday’s destructive whirlwind.

According to Oklahoma officials, 24 people have died, many more are injured, and once-orderly streets look likes foretastes of the apocalypse.

In response to a woman who said she was praying for the victims, Facebook commenter Peter Tongue replied, “If prayer works, there wouldn’t be a disaster like this in the first place .... so please keep your religion to yourself.”

But believers had their say as well.

“God is still in control!” said Wilbur Dugger, a commenter on CNN’s Facebook page. “Everything (God) does is to get our attention. … My sympathy and prayers go out to those who get caught up in his demonstrations of (God) ruling the world.”

The social-media sparring over prayer and God’s will reflect a culture in which traditional notions of religion - and the places where people talk about faith - are changing faster than a Twitter feed, said Drescher, the Santa Clara lecturer.

“We’re watching people re-articulate what it means to be spiritual and religious,” she said.

Just a few years ago, for example, no one knew what a hashtag was. Now the “#PrayFor...” meme appears after almost every national and international tragedy.

But what exactly does it mean? Is the tweeting multitude really folding its hands in prayer, or is it a fleeting expression of existential angst? Or maybe just a trendy thing to say?

“It seems to express hope and anxiety, and maybe even helplessness,” Drescher said.

“At the same time, it evokes this strong response from people who see it as a cop-out, a way of claiming some kind of spiritual space that doesn’t actually have any meaning to the people who are posting the meme or the community they are addressing.”

Traditionally, prayer has required something of the pray-er: an orientation toward reverence, a readiness to act, Drescher continued. “You are meant to do something - and that something may not be an easy thing.”

Slapping a hashtag at the end of a tweet doesn’t meet that standard, the scholar said.

The Rev. David Johnson of St. Andrew’s United Methodist Church in Oklahoma City said the prayerful tweets mean something to him - even if he’s been too busy to read them.

Since Monday, St. Andrew’s has become a Red Cross command post and reunion site for families to find loved ones caught in the tornado’s path. The tragedy has also touched the congregation itself, with homes, and some lives, lost on Tuesday, Johnson said.

Told of the Twitter prayers, Johnson said, “that’s awesome.”

“People feel helpless - like God called them to do something but they don’t know what. That’s where prayer comes in.”

Johnson said his church appreciates the many material donations coming its way: the generator sent by a lady from Arkansas, the food and water sent from neighboring towns. But they also solicit, and are happy to receive, the many prayers recited - or tweeted - on their behalf, he said.

“We’ve seen quite a lot of trauma in the last day,” Johnson said. “Obviously, people are going to ask why God allows tornadoes to happen. That’s just part of this world. God doesn’t promise us that bad things won’t happen, he promises to help us get through it. That’s what prayer helps us do.”

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • United States

soundoff (3,515 Responses)
  1. Winston

Ricky, we will pray for you. No amount of money can redeem your soul.

May 21, 2013 at 9:52 pm |
    • topcat

he would want you to pray for yourself to become a critical thinker that uses reason and evidence in not just every endeavor of life except faith because you were raised that way.

May 21, 2013 at 10:05 pm |
    • AtheistsMorons

Ho away Topcat and let people do whatever they want to. We don't need you atheists losers to tell us what to do. you have all kind of advices but in reality none of you have a job and a life, you don't have anything positive to bring to this world, get lost loser.

May 21, 2013 at 10:09 pm |
    • Dragon Slayer Lights Your Fire

So sending money means nothing compared to praying and doing nothing, and you wanna judge Gervais on who has more of a SOUL?

May 21, 2013 at 10:10 pm |
    • AtheistsMorons

Sending money and prayers are all good as well as any kind of help. But idiotic post from atheists morons and losers is one thing we don't need.

May 21, 2013 at 10:12 pm |
    • Crap your hands

Winston must not be Catholic, otherwise he would know that the Vatican sells, for money, "indulgences" to the rich – which was one of the reasons Martin Luther ragequit from Catholicism.
      You know, Martin Luther? The father of all protestantism? Have you even read the bible?
      What do you think all those moneychangers were doing in the Temple?
      Go read up on your religion before you attempt to defend it in any way.
      We've seen it all here.
      Surprise us with well-informed, intelligent comments. We don't see much of that from Christians at all.

May 21, 2013 at 10:13 pm |
    • Dragon Slayer Lights Your Fire

@AtheistsMorons so what do you bring to the table besides insults and your gross incorrect data? Oh that's right NOTHING. Touche Hypocrite

May 21, 2013 at 10:14 pm |
    • AtheistsMorons

Even if i tell you, you wouldn't believe it anyway, you atheists are too self centered and narrow minded to be open to any kind of truth. Go away losers, find a job and life. Even better be useful instead of being a parasite in this society.

May 21, 2013 at 10:16 pm |
    • Scalplels

Translation: "Go away you meanies! I hate you and want you to die for talking bad about Jesus, who was love and who whizzed on the faces of his followers with loving kindness."

May 21, 2013 at 10:36 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF BULLSH.IT

ATHEISTSMORONS – SHUT THE HELL UP AND GO BACK TO YOUR FLESHLIGHT

May 21, 2013 at 10:38 pm |
    • AtheistsMorons

You have a problem with me not wanting you? If you don't like what i'm saying all you need to do is to go away, simple as that. And don't reflect what i've just said on me. I have a problem with you atheists morons filling CNN blogs with your idiocies. People of all kind of beliefs and faith cannot come in peace on these blogs anymore because of you. There are plenty of places where you non believers morons can go to and get together. Just use them places where atheists morons regroups and let people live the life they want to. They have chosen a life of faith and that's not of your business.

May 21, 2013 at 10:41 pm |
    • AtheistsMorons

Stop posting in Caps, you're not scaring me one bit idiot. Go find a job and a life loser.

May 21, 2013 at 10:45 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF BULLSH.IT

YOUR 'LIFE OF FAITH' IS BULLSHIT

YOU'VE BEEN HERE 3 HOURS RANTING ABOUT NOTHING

PATHETIC – OR A GOOD CHRISTIAN? EITHER WAY TAKE YOUR OWN ADVICE YOU PSYCHO POS

May 21, 2013 at 10:54 pm |
    • Winston

Yes, I know who Martin Luther was, and I know that his 95 theses nailed to the Wittenberg door started the protestant reformation. Yes, I've read the Bible. I've studied it, learned from it and taught from it. I also have studied science and engineering all my life, and I have no problem reconciling faith with the natural world. The moneychangers in the temple were busy making as much as they could from the pilgrims who were making their annual sacrifice on the altar of the temple. And Jesus was enraged by their conducting business in the temple, a high holy place. My heart breaks to read many of the comments here, because there is so much joy and peace that can be realized in faith. There seems to be so much abject anger and denial in so many of these comments. It is important to realize that Satan has power over this world, and evil is a very real force.

May 22, 2013 at 10:07 pm |
  2. Sam

I am gay.

May 21, 2013 at 9:51 pm |
    • For Real

Nice try atheismorons......

May 21, 2013 at 9:51 pm |
    • AtheistsMorons

There you are Sam, don't worry even if you changed your IP your Host is still showing up. Keep using my Alias Sam you will get whats coming for you. lol

May 21, 2013 at 9:53 pm |
  3. Happy Believer

AtheistsMorons – you are just giving people of faith a bad name. Do what you siad and go to bed.

May 21, 2013 at 9:50 pm |
    • AtheistsMorons

No i'm not and you are not a person of faith, i'm not going to fall for it. Atheist is who you are.

May 21, 2013 at 9:59 pm |
  4. AtheistsMorons

Who is Sam, and why are you using my handle?

May 21, 2013 at 9:49 pm |
  5. Anon

Religious people: "Thank you Lord for saving me from the tragedy you created in the first place.and had the foresight to prevent but didn't"

May 21, 2013 at 9:48 pm |
  6. AtheistsMorons

You atheists are as dumb as black people.

May 21, 2013 at 9:45 pm |
    • AtheistsMorons

Sam your Ip address is showing up and i warned CNN about you, have fun while you have time using my Alias.

May 21, 2013 at 9:46 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF BULLSH.IT

LYING SACK OF CRAP

May 21, 2013 at 10:42 pm |
    • AtheistsMorons

Hey Sam, it's bed time for you and stop changing your alias all the time, it only shows that being an atheist is really being a moron.

May 21, 2013 at 10:46 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF BULLSH.IT

OBSESSION WITH IMAGINARY FRIENDS AGAIN? FIRST GOD, NOW SOME GUY NAMED SAM

YOUR FANTASY LIFE NEEDS TO STAY IN YOUR HEAD, COCKROACH

May 21, 2013 at 10:55 pm |
    • AtheistsMorons

I am just a dumb-azz idiot troll........ no one can see anyone's IP address you friggin liar...... who's posting this time moron? I'll give you a hint... it's not sam......... what are you like 12 years old?

May 22, 2013 at 12:40 pm |
  7. Roger that

Are people praying for God not to kill more people?

May 21, 2013 at 9:45 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Stupid God.

May 21, 2013 at 9:48 pm |
  8. HotAirAce

To whoever might be posing as Azzhole AM, please desist as you are making it very hard for Azzhole to display his true wit and intelligence. Trust me, he needs no help in being a complete jerk, but let's give him every opportunity to educate and amuse.

May 21, 2013 at 9:45 pm |
    • AtheistsMorons

It's one of your atheist loser doing it, he sure help making a shiny atheist image.

May 21, 2013 at 10:02 pm |
    • AtheistsMorons

Every time I post my crap, I'm helping the atheists..... yipee!!!

May 22, 2013 at 12:42 pm |
  9. mike ekwempu

God is love.This the work of the evil one satan.Our Lord Jesus will comfort them.

May 21, 2013 at 9:40 pm |
    • AtheistsMorons

I agree, atheism is the work of Satan.

May 21, 2013 at 9:41 pm |
    • LinCA

@mike ekwempu

You said, "God is love.This the work of the evil one satan."
      Pretty fucking incompetent god you got there, if satan pulled one over on it. It's not like it's the first time either.

May I suggest you find a more capable god to worship? The one you have now seems defective beyond repair.

May 21, 2013 at 9:44 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

Stupid satan.

May 21, 2013 at 9:46 pm |
    • Bob Satan, King of the Christians

I tried to use coupons, but I always forget to take them with me when I go to the store. Oh, wait...

May 21, 2013 at 9:51 pm |
    • SATAN™

Hey! What's with the name calling? You might make me cry! HA HA HA HA HA!

May 21, 2013 at 9:53 pm |
    • fred

LinCA

May 21, 2013 at 10:01 pm |
    • AtheistsMorons

The only thing here broken beyond repair is you Linda.

May 21, 2013 at 10:06 pm |
    • LinCA

@fred

You said, "When you consider the Bible does in fact reveal the true heart of the reader I think God is beyond anything we know."
      Your god is the product of a vivid imagination of primitive people. Shaped into what it is now in you mind over thousands of years of story telling. Your god is just as real at the Easter Bunny. I think we've covered this, didn't we? There is no truth to be had in your precious bible. It's only value is caloric.

You said, "When you consider how life in a broken world shapes a soul just as a sculptor brings the image out of a slab of marble I know that only God could do such a thing."
      Your limited mental capability don't provide evidence for your fairy tale.

May 21, 2013 at 10:10 pm |
    • AtheistsMorons

Get lost Linda, go find a job and a life will ya.

May 21, 2013 at 10:14 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF BULLSH.IT

THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS SATAN, LOSER

HEY ATHEISMMORONS – YOU'RE A LOUSY TROLL. GET A NEW HOBBY, YOU LONELY BITCH

I HEAR CHRISTIAN MINGLE HAS THE RIGHT RAPIST FOR YOU

May 21, 2013 at 10:44 pm |
    • fred

LinCA
      Just how did you conclude it is the thought of a primitive people? Amazing how we have not advanced one step beyond the opening of Genesis "In the beginning God". I know you like to call it a quantum gravitational phase but as any scientist will tell you this is an unproven mathematical abstract.

May 21, 2013 at 10:47 pm |

Hey Sam

I tell you what, why don't you take two Midol and change diaper, and then go to bed will ya.

May 21, 2013 at 10:47 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF BULLSH.IT

WHERE DID YOU LEARN YOUR REBUTTAL SKILLS – SUNDAY SCHOOL? YOU'RE ABOUT AS SHARP AS THAT LIMP NOODLE YOU CALL A DICK.

IT'S PAST YOUR BEDTIME, MR COOL. GO PLAY FAKE CHRISTARD SOMEWHERE ELSE.

UNLESS YOU NEED TO MAKE IT FOUR HOURS ON THIS COMMENT PAGE, MR 'LIFE OF FSAITH'

May 21, 2013 at 10:58 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF BULLSH.IT

PS – IF YOU'RE SO OBSSESSED WITH 'SAM', ASK HIM OUT AND GET IT OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM BEFORE YOUR BLUE BALLS IMPLODE

May 21, 2013 at 10:59 pm |
    • LinCA

@fred

You said, "Just how did you conclude it is the thought of a primitive people? "
      You should take a closer look at the origins of your imaginary friend. I doubt you'll be able to, as you are clearly completely indoctrinated into believing that your imaginary friend is real.

And, of course, you are free to remain blissfully ignorant, but please let the grown-ups take care of the important decisions.

You said, "Amazing how we have not advanced one step beyond the opening of Genesis "In the beginning God"."
      Speak for yourself, will you. The smarter ones among us have shed those silly superstitions lond ago.

You said, "I know you like to call it a quantum gravitational phase but as any scientist will tell you this is an unproven mathematical abstract."
      Again, your ignorance doesn't provide any support for your delusion.

You said, "Tell me what was revealed to you when you read the Bible (assuming you have that is)"

May 22, 2013 at 2:27 am |
    • fintastic

@AtheistsMorons....... "agree, atheism is the work of Satan."

Ohhhhhhh! SATAN!!! that scary debil man with the red suit pointy horns and pitchfork!....... wow some real ignorance there AM.. how long have you been confusing fantasy with reality?....

May 22, 2013 at 12:50 pm |
    • fred

LinCa
      Thank you for proving again (as all who have read the Bible prove) that the Bible is the Living Word of God that reveals the true soul of the reader.

You said:You said, " The bible is the fastest way to atheism, if you read it with an open mind. If you allow for the possibility that your god isn't real, the bible will remove any doubt, and set you on a path to enlightenment. Of course, if you only read it to find reinforcement of your delusion, nothing will stop you from finding it."

=>Yes, yes yes and a big orgasmic YES the Bible did remove any doubt you had and in my case I find exactly what my heart is seeking. Jesus said seek and you shall find. Well we both found the truth about our soul in our reading of the Bible. Go ahead read it again but this time ask Jesus to show you what he has shown over 4 billion people since the origin of modern man.

May 22, 2013 at 3:30 pm |
  10. AtheistsMorons

Anyhow have gun using my Alias Sam, it's getting late and time for me to head for the bed. I work tomorrow morning unlike you Sam the atheists moron. You know Sam if you would get a job and working a little it wouldn't hurt you. Don't be afraid to work.

May 21, 2013 at 9:39 pm |
    • AtheistsMorons

Correction: Have fun Sam using my Alias.

May 21, 2013 at 9:40 pm |
    • AtheistsMorons

WHO is Sam?? Quit stealing my name!!

May 21, 2013 at 9:51 pm |
    • Jesus sucked off your puppy and killed it

Moron, you can't touch this. You ain't ready for this jelly. Your momma told me how you roll. School tomorrow for you not me.
      I win. I better change my name now. it was so easy to win over such a chump like you.

May 21, 2013 at 10:51 pm |
  11. AtheistsMorons

Answer this atheist losers. If their is no god, how is it that Jesus wrote the Bible over 2,000 years ago IN ENGLISH..

May 21, 2013 at 9:32 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

I know right?

May 21, 2013 at 9:33 pm |
    • Anon

You have got to be a poe.

May 21, 2013 at 9:34 pm |
    • Sue

I hope you're joking.

May 21, 2013 at 9:34 pm |

@AtheistsMorons

Don't listen to this moron, it's Sam using my Alias. Just another stupid atheist loser who is too coward to use his own.

May 21, 2013 at 9:36 pm |
    • NoGods4me

WHAT. English!! It didn't exist then. Did you get out of middle school?

May 21, 2013 at 9:36 pm |
    • topcat

you are just being obvious now

May 21, 2013 at 9:39 pm |
    • atheist

Jesus new da bible why would he need to rote it down?

May 21, 2013 at 9:40 pm |
    • AthiestMorons

You atheists need to convert to Christianity so God will allow me and my boyfriend to get married.

May 21, 2013 at 9:41 pm |
    • AtheistsMorons

Shut up Sam and stop using my Alias. Is this all you atheist morons can do? Posting other people Aliases? And you have the guts to say that you are educated with PhD's, come on.

May 21, 2013 at 9:43 pm |
    • atheist

sirrcleyure reason fallicy AtheistsMorons ! Yousing English to post in English is circleyoure reasoning

May 21, 2013 at 9:47 pm |
    • Dragon Slayer Lights Your Fire

Is that a joke? did you really type that with a straight face? Bahahahaha

May 21, 2013 at 10:18 pm |
    • Scalplels

U/D, stop using these fake religious trolls to fill up the blog. You are just sick.

May 21, 2013 at 10:39 pm |
    • Humanist Citizen

Christ, if he even existed, did not write the Bible, nor was it written in English 2,000 years ago. Even true believers know these basic facts.

May 22, 2013 at 12:11 pm |
  12. Becky

The fact that people are ranting about prayer is completely silly. Even if you're a nonbeliever, surely you can see that praying for something keeps it at the top of your mind. Of course it's different if you just compose a tweet to appear religious and then forget about it. However, the people who are praying for Oklahoma will probably keep remembering it long after the media has stopped talking about it, when it's not a hot topic anymore. Prayer naturally results in remembrance, and remembrance naturally results in action. Many, if not most of the people, who are genuinely praying for Oklahoma, are the ones who will also be giving financially to relief efforts as well. Furthermore, they are probably the people who will be going there to help with rebuilding efforts after most other people have forgotten about the devastation.

May 21, 2013 at 9:31 pm |
    • lol??

The gubmint spends a ton of money makin' regulations to try and keep the crooks honest and then when people need the help, The Big O sayz, "CUT THE RED (hahaha)TAPE!!" All that wasted effort!

May 21, 2013 at 10:08 pm |
    • lol??

You're not much of a cwook if you can't even rip people off in their time of need.

May 21, 2013 at 10:10 pm |
    • Dragon Slayer Lights Your Fire

it does nothing, wastes valuable time and shows how low your self-confidence is to blaze your own thought-trail.

May 21, 2013 at 10:19 pm |

Very well said Becky.

The only one that won't help for Oklahoma will be the atheists, they're too proud and self centered to do anything anyway. At least atheists morons, let Becky say whatever she feels like to. She haven't done or said anything wrong. She only had goods to say. There's nothing wrong with that.

May 21, 2013 at 10:26 pm |
  13. Sean MacNair

The #prayfor... hashtag is for those who simply want to appear to be caring, without any actual effort on their part. Don't #prayfor... people after a tragedy, #dofor... people after a tragedy.

May 21, 2013 at 9:28 pm |
  14. FKell

I pray for them to get the same treatment that the Hurricane Sandy victims received... 4 months of name calling, shouting matches and a Governor who had to essentially break from his party to scream at the idiots in his own...

May 21, 2013 at 9:27 pm |
    • FKell

Oh, and I forgot the other one being that I pray for them to also be told to rebuild elsewhere because storms like this are going to continue to happen in the future...

May 21, 2013 at 9:30 pm |

Are you an atheist?

May 21, 2013 at 10:27 pm |
    • ChristianMoron

I'm a christian moron. I can't understand the difference between fantasy and reality.

May 22, 2013 at 12:02 pm |
  15. Janos

While I personally believe this is a poor time to be arguing, or debating, whether or not god exists, I think it is highly appropriate to question what good people think they are doing with their prayers. Love-expressed with money and other material support- are what will make the difference in every situation like this one in Oklahoma, not prayer. Prayer is truly an effortless way to accomplish nothing with nothing lost other than the time spent in it. Knowing people pray for them may, to some degree, help them emotionally, but such a thing is a limited contribution compared to the peace of mind they will find when they see just how much their fellow Americans, if not citizens of the world, contribute to help them stabilize and move forward. I'm not going to debate your faith, your religion or your god here; What I will challenge, however, is the idea that your "faith-filled prayers" are more meaningful than sincere donations of money and material items.

May 21, 2013 at 9:23 pm |
    • lol??

Socialists are a constant storm.

May 21, 2013 at 10:05 pm |
    • AtheistsMorons

I agree with you Jano to a certain point. The point you are missing is the fact that there are some people who are not in a position to provide any kind of help probably because of their financial position. But instead of being a parasites like those atheists on this blog, the offer their prayers for moral supports. At least they had good intentions and it's the best than can do with their financial situation. It's better than those idiotic post by those atheists.

May 21, 2013 at 10:31 pm |
    • ChristianMorons

The road to heII is paved with good intentions.

May 22, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
  16. Ungodly Discipline

Sadly, Christians have forgotten, as a group, what the Bible is actually for. It is not an oracle, but instead a wellspring of information about the ambiguity, insolubility and inevitability of the human condition. Not as good as the I Ching, but better than some guru texts.

May 21, 2013 at 9:21 pm |
    • Ungodly Discipline

To clarify, many will turn to the Bible texts for comfort, but will, as usual, misunderstand the message within.

May 21, 2013 at 9:33 pm |
    • neruda

Satan's greatest achievement....organized religion

May 21, 2013 at 9:34 pm |
    • Scalplels

How sad that you wasted any time at all on guru texts.
      Stop doing fake religitards. Let the real ones do it. We don't need more fakes, k?

May 21, 2013 at 10:41 pm |
  17. moon monkey7

May 21, 2013 at 9:19 pm |
    • Chuckles

Only in the public square. That or if you really want to be allowed to pray in schools then allow for a satanic prayer, a jewish prayer, a hindu prayer, muslim, etc... as well as atheists not participating or having to take it seriously.

Your call bro.

May 21, 2013 at 9:23 pm |
    • TheGrimJester

No. We are not. We are just saying while you are saying stupid stuff that doesn't help anyone, maybe you could actually put some money where your mouth is.

May 21, 2013 at 9:23 pm |
    • Julie

Atheist are just standing up to bullies who attempt to impose their will on others.

May 21, 2013 at 9:25 pm |
    • LinCA

@moon monkey7

You said, "I've noticed atheists are so in favor of taking away Christians ability to express themselves"
      Not true. you are free, even encouraged, to show the world how big of a dimwit you are. Just don't expect me to buy into your delusion.

May 21, 2013 at 9:36 pm |
    • rp518dan

Praying as a way to let yourself off the hook for doing something that really makes a difference is what we object to.

Question: What did you do about this disaster?

Christian answer: I said a prayer, while scrunching up my face really sad looking.

As far as we atheists are concerned you did absolutely nothing. to help, but you did nothing in a way that let you feel good about yourselves.

May 21, 2013 at 9:38 pm |
    • Dragon Slayer Lights Your Fire

feel free to do as you want, just don't expect people like me to take you seriously

May 21, 2013 at 10:21 pm |
    • AtheistsMorons

if you don't like it go somewhere else atheists losers.

May 21, 2013 at 10:32 pm |
    • Atheist Loser

Come here and make me leave, cunt. You keep whining. What a little sperm bag you are, my word.

May 21, 2013 at 10:44 pm |

May 21, 2013 at 10:50 pm |
    • AtheistsMorons

I'm sorry Atheist Loser. I get a little hot headed when I drink.

May 21, 2013 at 10:53 pm |
    • Atheist Loser

Is that all you got? Your momma let you outside and you met someone you thought was an atheist?
      And then what happened? They died laughing at your pimply face. Oh, I'm so scared of pimply little babies. Oh my goodness.

May 21, 2013 at 11:01 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF BULLSH.IT

KEEP DRINKING MR LIFE OF FAITH

May 21, 2013 at 11:01 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF BULLSH.IT

"You're not the first atheist i came face to face with."

REALLY? HOW MANY TIMES DID YOU ASK HIM TO COME ON YOUR FACE?

May 21, 2013 at 11:17 pm |
    • ChristianMorons

@AtheistsMorons.... "You really don't want to meet me, trust me. You're not the first atheist i came face to face with."

More true love from a religious nut job....

May 22, 2013 at 12:07 pm |
  18. Chuckles

Awesome moment:

May 21, 2013 at 9:18 pm |
    • Sue

Brilliant citation. I won't laugh given the circu.mstances, but perfect.

May 21, 2013 at 9:32 pm |
    • lol??

What's he doin' interviewing an XX anyway, if he is a believer??

May 21, 2013 at 9:59 pm |
  19. HeroesAre Rare

How can atheists ,who lack the intelligence to even begin to consider the POSSSIBILITY of God, use a terrible tragedy to their own countrymen to push their hatred and selfish, anti-religious bigotry?

Still what can we expect from people whose only aim in life is to reduce MAN to anilmal status?

May 21, 2013 at 9:18 pm |
    • Anon

We are part of the animal kingdom whether you acknowledge it or not.
      Fifth ape to be exact.

May 21, 2013 at 9:20 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Of course there's a possibilty of a god – about the same as the possibility of a unicorn.

May 21, 2013 at 9:25 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Wrong! Possibility considered, and rejected due to lack of evidence.

May 21, 2013 at 9:28 pm |
    • Bree

Thank you, HotAirAce...couldn't have said it better myself!

May 21, 2013 at 9:36 pm |

Very well said HeroesAre Rare

May 21, 2013 at 9:45 pm |
    • rp518dan

We atheists say that publicly patting yourself on the back while pretending to talk to God is selfish. It is also contrary to the Bible (Luke 18:9-14). You showed us all how holy you were and that's all the reward we think you really want–and that's all the reward Jesus said you would get...not that many of you reflect upon the significance of such things.

May 21, 2013 at 9:51 pm |
    • Leslie

Atheists accept the POSSIBILITY of a God or gods, we just don't find the preponderance of evidence in that direction. Atheists know more about religion than the religious. This extra learning and study shows that we do not come to a non-god belief by closing our eyes and denying, but instead from considered study of, quite often the Bible. We have all considered the POSSIBILITY because we don't have gods telling us that very thoughtfully consideration of different points of view might risk earning an eternity in Hell.

May 21, 2013 at 9:56 pm |
    • Dragon Slayer Lights Your Fire

"who lack the intelligence to even begin to consider the POSSSIBILITY of God"

????

If you believe in a God, then there is no intelligence being used

May 21, 2013 at 10:24 pm |
  20. Anon

Common sense towards the obvious at least prevails.

May 21, 2013 at 9:17 pm |
    • Chuckles

You beat me to it!!

May 21, 2013 at 9:20 pm |
    • Colin

You go girl.....

May 21, 2013 at 9:21 pm |
    • HotAirAce

What are the chances he'll ask that question again? Well, it is Wolf Blitzer. . .

May 21, 2013 at 9:24 pm |