home
RSS
Atheists to start 1-800 hotline for doubters
The group Recovering from Religion plans to start a helpline for people struggling with religious doubts.
June 4th, 2013

Atheists to start 1-800 hotline for doubters

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) – Who can people call when religious doubts arise, but they're afraid to talk to their faith leaders or families?

A group that helps people "recover" from religion says it's ready to pick up the phone.

Recovering from Religion, which has about 40 support groups in the U.S. and Britain, plans to launch a hotline that will offer doubters an anonymous place to ask difficult questions and find communities of like-minded nonbelievers.

The group plans to staff the help line 24 hours a day and is modeling it after services like suicide prevention hotlines.

Sarah Morehead, executive director of Recovering from Religion, told CNN that the mission is to help people, not convert them to atheism.

“A lot of the times they just need someone to talk to," Morehead said.

The 1-800 number has yet to be named. Recovering from Religion is trying to raise $30,000 by June 30 to fund "The Hotline Project" with up to 40 counselors.

Ideally, the help line would be live by the holiday season, said Morehead, which is often a difficult time for people struggling with religious doubts.

Photos: Famous atheists and their beliefs

The idea for the hotline sprang up after calls came in to the Recovering from Religion phone line from people who were questioning their faith and needed to talk to someone. Morehead said she gets a few calls every day and hundreds of e-mails a month from people seeking counseling.

From there, she said, it seemed a hotline that provided a permanent, anonymous place to talk to someone was the best option.

"Coming out" as a nonbeliever - or even a doubter - can often be extremely difficult, Morehead and others say. In addition to the existential worries, budding nonbelievers run the risk of alienating family and friends.

The help line’s volunteer counselors will be trained to not engage in religious debate, Morehead said. Instead, they will try to give callers “practical, action-oriented solutions.”

When someone first calls the hotline, the counselor will start by simply asking the caller to talk about his or her personal story, said Morehead.

Later, the counselor and the caller might work on an action plan. The caller's goals may concern formally leaving religion altogether, but Morehead said that counselors will also offer advice on finding a new faith or connecting with a local community of nonbelievers.

Some blogs have questioned the hotline, however, calling it a ploy to increase the number of atheists in America.

Headlines like “New 1-800 Number Funded By Liberals To Convert Christians to Atheists,” for example, have cropped up at a number of conservative blogs.

Morehead said her critics fail to grasp the point of Recovering from Religion.

“Most of the people who contact us are working their way towards disbelief, so of course we are very equipped to handle that,” Morehead said. “That is not the goal, though, or the job of the facilitators.”

Photos: 'Born-again' celebrities

This hotline is not completely unique in the world of religious "nones" – people who either don’t believe in God or don’t affiliate with any religious beliefs. Atheists have long discussed disbelief in the comfort of online anonymity.

“We have seen how important the Internet is, especially young people questioning their faith, and this provides them with another resource with a different focus,” said Jesse Galef, communications director for the Secular Student Alliance. “For people who want more guidance, I think this resource will be very valuable.”

Services that help religious doubters have thrived recently.

The Clergy Project, an online community for preachers who no longer believe in God, has grown from 52 to nearly 500 people since its founding in 2011, said Teresa MacBain, the former executive director of the project.

MacBain, a former pastor who converted to atheism, called the help line "another way for people to contact someone anonymously and discuss the struggles they are having for their beliefs.”

“If this project had been around when I found the Clergy Project, I would have used it.”

MacBain said she plans to get training as one of the counselors and hopes to be answering calls when the service launches.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • United States

soundoff (3,878 Responses)
  1. If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

This is a step in the right direction. As with any psychological conditioning/abuse a person needs help to recover .. and getting help from those who conditioned you in the first place is absurd!

June 5, 2013 at 1:17 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

well said!

June 5, 2013 at 1:19 pm |
    • lol??

Exactly, I'm from the gubmint god and I'm here to help.

Eric Holder, "What law?"!!!

June 5, 2013 at 1:34 pm |
  2. Jayne

I believe in a higher power, but religion has ruined any chance of my attending any church. If you want to be verbally abused go to a Christian chat room or message board and ask an unpopular question. I was raised in a Baptist church where the sermon was broadcast into the nursery. The message was guilt and hell, and that's about it. I try to treat all people the way I want to be treated, but a lot of Christians do not. I was called a "satanist" for asking a few basic common questions, and that was the nicest name I was called. In the US we are supposed to have freedom of speech and religious choice. We do not. Atheists don't worship Satan, they just don't believe in a life after death and that is THEIR business. No amount of "preaching" will change my spiritual beliefs, but the guilt I was forced to listen to as a child will stay with me all my life.

June 5, 2013 at 1:17 pm |
    • If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

You are correct in that Atheists do not worship Satan (why you'd even say that??) but it does not mean they don't believe in an "afterlife" ... being A-theist simply means we don't have any reason to believe in a God(s), that's all.

June 5, 2013 at 1:20 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Jayne, church is community with like minded believers in Jesus' truth. It's everyone's responsibility to be well versed in His word. That means open the Bible and read the letter He wrote to all.

June 5, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
    • HeavenSent

If horses, there is only 2 options in the world Jesus' truth versus satan's lies. If you don't follow Jesus' truth, you obviously follow the lies of satan. Disguised of course, but lies, just the same.

June 5, 2013 at 1:40 pm |
    • Ernest T bass

HeavenSent........ Truth requires evidence..... claiming "truth" without evidence is a LIE.

June 5, 2013 at 1:47 pm |
    • If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

HeavenSent ... your indoctrination is showing. 3rd, and most probable, your assertion of having only 2 options is wrong.

June 5, 2013 at 1:50 pm |
    • Pete

"It's everyone's responsibility to be well versed in His word. "

June 5, 2013 at 5:22 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Ernest T bass, being lost is your problem. The excuses you use (aka proof) to stay lost is also your problem. Laziness on your part is a good start to figuring out why you don't believe or know scriptures.

June 8, 2013 at 11:11 am |
    • HeavenSent

Tom, writing under the phony handle Pete, you posted ""It's everyone's responsibility to be well versed in His word. "

The hysterical part is HeavenSent has cherry picked the bible so much that she has only proven she doesn't understand the it at all."

Answer: I'm hitting you square in the eye with the scriptures I've chosen. It's not my problem you don't know who conditioned you into not believing. Oh, right, it's your own idea. LOL.

June 8, 2013 at 11:15 am |
    • HeavenSent

Deuteronomy 22:20-1 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the girl’s virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done a disgraceful thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house.

June 12, 2013 at 11:01 am |
  3. Joe Bob No Job

Looking at all these postings and other postings in other forums, it's easy to see why America, and a lot of the world, is in the state that it's in. Just saying, but not saying too. Remember that when you try to figure things out.

June 5, 2013 at 1:15 pm |
    • Alias

Go back to your Budweiser and Nascar Joe Bob
      The world has always had problems. From my point of view, it is getting better.

June 5, 2013 at 1:18 pm |
    • lol??

Right alias, science has given the wurld more efficient ways of death, even by accident, like the unwise use of antibiotics.

June 5, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

America is in a state?

June 5, 2013 at 1:49 pm |
  4. DoesItReallyMatter

Does your conversion to atheism really matter after a 100 years? By then all those who read this article are probably dead already. If there is nothing after death, if a soul is not immortal, and if death is the end, then nothing really matter. All the good deeds you have done, the contributions you have made to the humanity, or the bad things you wish no one will ever find out will be simply vanished away after your death. You may say, "History will be the judge." I will ask,"What good about the judgement if you are not there to be judged?" So does it really matter if you convert to atheist? I will say it does matter if you feel good after the conversion. Does it really matter after 100 years? If atheism is right(there is no real way to prove it unless you realize there is nothing after you die), whether you convert to atheism doesn't really matter.

Can you prove that there is nothing after death?

I can't prove that a soul is immortal. Neither can you prove that it is not. By looking at dead body can only prove that the body is dead. What about the soul? Also if you are right, it there is nothing after death, it doesn't really matter what we believe right now.

Does it really matter whose burden of proof is upon whom if there is nothing after death? Does this discussion even relevant after 100 years?

Can I prove that there is life after death? No I cannot. Can I prove that a soul is immortal and eternal? No I cannot. I just want to simply point out that IF THERE IS NO LIFE ATFER DEATH, WHAT WE DO HERE ON THIS EARTH DON'T MATTER AT ALL TO US.

You may say, "It matters to our children. It helps mankind to achieve to his full potential by getting rid of religion. It's good to humanity and for the generations to come." Well whether I agree to such view points, it doesn't really matter after 100 years because I am not there to see it if there is no life after death.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************

You may say, "My life matter to me." To a certain extend, it does matter to you as long as you are alive. However what does your life matter to you after you are dead if your soul(assuming the soul is mortal and simply vanishes with a death of physical body) is no longer in existence.

YES IT DOES BECAUSE WE ONLY HAVE ONE LIFE TO LIVE AND THIS IS IT.

That is exactly my point. One life to live and this is it. So does it really matter what you believe or someone believe in? After 100 years, and after this "one life"(assuming there is no life after death), we will all simply vanish. Whatever our hopes and dreams may be, it doesn't really matter after we die.

You may say, "You will be remembered by the generations to come?" I will ask, "Does it really matter if there is no life after death and I am not there to perceive that I am being remembered by."

"human life does not matter to the universe. That does not mean it is not important to humans."

I agree to a certain extend. It matters while you are alive. Why does it matter after you die. Your soul, conscience or whatever you want to call it simply vanishes. After 100 years,what does this conversation has any relevancy to those who involve in the discussion?

"Perhaps you need to answer your own question. Does it matter to you?"

Does it really matter if there is no life after death?

"And do not commit suicide of the answer is no."

In fact if there is no life after death, it doesn't matter if is the answer is no:)

"Does it really matter if there is no life after death?"

Does WHAT really matter?

You keep posting the same stuff over and over without really having a conversation with anyone that I have to conclude your question is not genuine.

--–
    Does what really matter? That's exactly my point. What DOSE really matter if there is no life after death?

I found life had more meaning after I became an atheist. I began to look at where I was instead of imagining where I had hoped I was going. When you start doing the math you realize you being you is already winning triple Mega-super lotteries, so I figured I had better start spending my winnings more wisely instead of giving them all away for the promise of something better. To say "Hey, you just won the biggest lottery in the universe but you need to give all that money to us because after you die, then you'll really see something special! So hand over your time, money and energy and we PROMISE to hook you up after you die, cross our hearts..."

So far I have never seen, heard, read, watched, felt or experienced anything supernatural, though I have experienced Yosemite Falls in winter which was naturally super

Wonderful! Does it really matter after 100 years?

So that's your game is it. The "life is empty meaningless without an afterlife" premise?

The answer to that is simple. It's what you make it. It can be empty and meaningless if you so choose. It can be wonderful and fulfilling if you so choose.

THEN WHAT HAPPENS AFTER 100 YEARS?

We are free to choose. Don't ask what happens when we die. Just enjoy the journey. It's far better than the alternative.

WHAT HAPPENS AFTER WE DIE?

I'll turn it around for you. If everyone who was 'saved' was going to paradise, why would you live for another moment?

WHY BRING RELIGION INTO THE EQUATION? IN ADDITION, EVERY RELIGION DEFINES "SAVED" DIFFERENTLY. SO WHAT HAPPEN AFTER WE DIE? IF NOTHING WE DO ON THIS EARTH HAS ANY ETERNAL CONSEQUENCE, WHAT DOES REALLY MATTER?

Right, nothing matters if you don't get to see it from your window in heaven. You disgust me. You are where humanity is failing, to not see why being good has it's own rewards as does being a moral agent in the world without bribes or threats. If humanity does not survive the next century it will be because of religious hubris and morons like this OP.

---–
    Sorry that I disgust you. However does it really matter whether humanity survive or not in the grand scheme of eternity if all mankind will eventually pass away?

June 5, 2013 at 1:15 pm |
    • Chuckles

@Does

Honestly I'll freely admit I didn't read even a quarter of what you posted, I got the basic concept pretty quickly. You're asking does anything matter, because apparently atheism is equivalent to nihlism.

You have to decide what "meaning" and "matters" actually means. Do you really believe any specific action taken on earth, whether it be man, or beast, whether it's 100,000 thousand years ago or 100.000 years into the future really matters in the grand scheme of the universe? The earth is a mere atom on a grand scale and any event happening on earth no more effects anything else the same way a fly that flapped its wings1 billion years ago has no effect on you now. What I do only matters to one person, and that person is me. I choose what does and does not matter and if I am completely forgotten in 100years, or a 1000 years, so be it. Why should I care? I won't be around to have any thoughts on the matter.

June 5, 2013 at 1:20 pm |
    • snowboarder

@does, that is a whole lot of jibberish pretending to say something and failing miserably. i couldn't make it to the end. there was no promise of improvement to keep me reading.

June 5, 2013 at 1:22 pm |
    • Freedom

Sorry no dice for you. You haven't passed the prerequisite not a key word was found in your long comment. You are living an illusive belief system, e.g. athiesm in your case, and you are oblivion to the truth. Don't bother to elaborate under my blog. Thanks for sharing the illusive artificial oblivion life that you prepared for yourself. Keep making those self inflicting pains worthwhile for the next 100 years.

June 5, 2013 at 1:50 pm |
    • DoesItReallyMatter

-----------------------------------

Honestly I'll freely admit I did read your entire comment. You have succinctly pointed out that nothing really matter if what we do on this earth have none of any eternal consequence. "Do you really believe any specific action taken on earth, whether it be man, or beast, whether it's 100,000 thousand years ago or 100.000 years into the future really matters in the grand scheme of the universe?" or "Why should I care? I won't be around to have any thoughts on the matter." These are very well thought comments. So why should we care if anyone want to convert to atheist or whateverist? We won't be around to have any thoughts on the matter:)

June 5, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
    • DoesItReallyMatter

-----------------------------------

Jibberish or not it doesn't really matter. It's ok to not make it to the end. A lof my writing just a bunch of copies and pastes from the past responses anyway. Why should I care if I am not going to be round for the next 100 years:)

June 5, 2013 at 2:10 pm |
    • Chuckles

@Does

Well that was a strange attempt at mirroring my post, but whatever.

I still fail to see how you arrive that everything is meaningless just because the meaning is diminshed or non existant in the future? Why is something meaningful only if it has the ability to retain meaning for the future? You've apparently chosen to assign meaning as anything that is remembered after X amount of years and that to have meaning something has to be remembered by a third party.

Why should I care if a person converts to any religion? That depends. Do I think that faith has any effect on the macro sized level of the universe? No. Does a persons faith have a personal effect on me, in this time and space? Depends, that effect can range from someone knocking at my door to spread the gospel (mildly annoying) to legislating laws that disenfranchise a group for no reason (horrible) to using their faith as a tool to help the less fortunate (good). Would I rather someone be an athest to cut out the annoying and bad that seem to stem purely from their religion? Yes.

June 5, 2013 at 2:16 pm |
    • DoesItReallyMatter

@Freedom

----------------------------
      Glad that you have found the "truth":) Should I care that my long comment doesn't contain the keyword that you are looking for?

June 5, 2013 at 2:18 pm |
    • DoesItReallyMatter

@Chuckles
      Does

>Well that was a strange attempt at mirroring my post, but whatever.

>I still fail to see how you arrive that everything is meaningless just because the meaning is diminshed or non existant in the future?

I think your question precisely contains the answer of why I fail to see that everything is meaningless because that meaning "is diminished or non existant in the future."

>Why is something meaningful only if it has the ability to retain meaning for the future?

Why should I care if it does not? I won't be around to have any thoughts on the matter.

>You've apparently chosen to assign meaning as anything that is remembered after X amount of years and that to have meaning something >has to be remembered by a third party.

Where is the meaning coming from if there is nothing to remember to or to be remembered by?

>Why should I care if a person converts to any religion? That depends.

I agree that "a person converts to any religion" may affect you in this life. However it shouldn't be a matter after 100 years. By then you and that person who tries to convert will probably be dead.

>Do I think that faith has any effect on the macro sized level of the universe? No.

Agree IF there is nothing after life.

>Does a persons faith have a personal effect on me, in this time and space? Depends, that effect can range from someone knocking at my >door to spread the gospel (mildly annoying) to legislating laws that disenfranchise a group for no reason (horrible) to using their faith as a tool >to help the less fortunate (good).

Well some believe that we live in a world that just randomly put together and that the human conscience or whatever you want to call it just randomly enter or form or how ever you think just come into existence. In such a world people do things that will alway have some effect on other people. It is just part of mother nature. Fortunately this will be all ened IF there is nothing after death.

>Would I rather someone be an athest to cut out the annoying and bad that seem to stem purely from their religion? Yes.

Totally respect your view.

>It matters because someones faith can have a bad effect on me in the here and now.

June 5, 2013 at 3:29 pm |
    • Chuckles

@Does

You seem hellbent on embracing nihlism, or at least that nihlism and atheism are inextricably linked.

1. Just because something loses meaning as time goes on does not mean the importance or meaning of something doesn't exist in the present. It's all about perspective. I promise you every human being that has ever lived believed their lives held meaning, regardless of what that means. Just because you've never heard of mr. joe smith from 1600 in England does not mean that he didn't exist and consider his existance meaningful.

2. Who assigns meaning? Everyone. Like I said above, it's about perspective. Does my engagement to my way mean anything to you? No. Does it mean a hell of a lot to me? Absolutely. If believe that meaning can only exist as objectively told by a 3rd party then technically any personal revelation you have ever had is meaningless. If you disagree with this statement then you've proven my point, meaning is assigned by everyone.

3. This pretty much sums up the latter portion of your response so I won't paste the whole thing, "Yes, it does affect you in the here and now, but it won't be in 100 years IF there nothing after this life."
      - First, resting on "If's" seems like the worst reason to be religious. You've been told, without anything to back it up, that there is something after brain functioning ceases. Why would you firmly construct your whole life around something that can't be proven? Why think that all your actions only contain meaning in an unknowable "afterlife" and then go as far as to choose which sort of afterlife it will be. Read up on Pascal's wager and understand that by choosing a religion based on choosing an afterlife without any evidence to show that your choice is right while a Muslim, or a Buddhist or a Shinto person is wrong seems crazy.

I promise you buddy, Nihlism is not part of being an atheist. I find my life very meaningful and understanding the death means nothing more than no more brain function, I try to make every second I have meaningful for my here and now. Why should I care if some person 100 years from now knows my name? What will that accomplish? If there is an afterlife and being a catholic was the only way to get to heaven, then it looks like I'm sh,it out of luck, along with 5/6th of the world probably along with you too. You have a 1/10000000 shot of having chosen the right religion (not to mention the prospect that the right religion hasn't even been discovered yet and no one is right). The only difference between you and me is I choose not to play the game and choose to live my life how I want without the spector of eternal damnation haunting my every move.

June 5, 2013 at 4:29 pm |
    • DoesItReallyMatter

Chuckles
      @Does

MY RESPONSE
      From your own word, "Why should I care if some person 100 years from now knows my name?" I don't think that joe smith even care what we are thinking of him right now because he is not here to think about if his soul, thought, conscience or whatever you want to call it stops being existed.

Although I agree with you that joe smith probably did his life was meaningful.

MY RESPONSE
      If "meaning is assigned by everyone," would you agree that after everyone passes away, whatever the meaning that is "assigned by everyone" will also be gone too? I am not disapproving your point. On the contrary, I try to prove your point that "meaning is assigned by everyone." However such definition raises a question, "What happen after everyone passes away? Would that meaning assigned by everyone still exist?"

– First, resting on "If's" seems like the worst reason to be religious. You've been told, without anything to back it up, that there is something after brain functioning ceases. Why would you firmly construct your whole life around something that can't be proven? Why think that all your actions only contain meaning in an unknowable "afterlife" and then go as far as to choose which sort of afterlife it will be. Read up on Pascal's wager and understand that by choosing a religion based on choosing an afterlife without any evidence to show that your choice is right while a Muslim, or a Buddhist or a Shinto person is wrong seems crazy.

MY RESPONSE
      After 100 years, If there is no afterlife, does it really matter what I choose or not choose in this life?

MY RESPONSE
      "The only difference between you and me is I choose not to play the game and choose to live my life how I want without the spector of eternal damnation haunting my every move." Amen to your wonderful and succinct statement about this life.

June 5, 2013 at 5:07 pm |
  5. Freedom

"BELIEF" and "BELIEVING" are words to assert that someone's "ideologies" and "theories" (Chistian/Religion, Judaism/Religion, Islam/Religion, Science/Sect and Athiest/Sect) are the truth, where no one can prove there is a God or there isn't a God. All 4 groups mentioned here are just beliefs, like "hope".

Christians, Judaism, Islam, and Athiests are beliefs systems aka ideologies/hope therefore, it is almost like a theory, none of these groups can prove the truth because there are always questions like "Is there a God or not?" How definite is someone correct? No one is correct. You are just "assuming". You can deny it and say that what you "believe" is the truth, but who says?

Science, for example, is another sect that wants to prove everything by human intelect and understanding, but in the end it is a theory. Theory is an "assumption" that the truth cannot be proved without questions or doubts, in other words, there is no definite answers.

WHAT IS TRUTH? Truth is when there is no doubts, questions, and disputes in a person's mind and innerself, just definite answers, which the only thing that a person knows for a fact is the truth is "Self-Awareness". No one can question or dispute "Self-Awareness" that is the truth. However, people can deny this truth, but deep inside you know it is the truth, a fact, proven by oneself.

If you are still confused you are not ready to the next step of SOCIETY. This SOCIETY was created to educate people about theory, belief, ideology, hope, assumption, and truth. There are many people that share this SOCIETY that is reserved for people like you, no dues or any membership enrolment fees are ever asked of you. There is a prerequisite to be in this SOCIETY, understanding what it is written here and be able to make a meeting once a month. Every State in the US has this SOCIETY.

This is your chance to be free from an entangled mass sheep society. Only one set of people of the mass sheep society will understand what it is written here Most of you will redicule, dismiss it, write insults, will not answer or give a second thought, and others that would just say, whaaaat? Based on what your answers are there are a very few key words that you will use and determine you acceptance to the SOCIETY.

No, we do not have a website, news media is not aware of this SOCIETY, and 90% of people will not think that this SOCIETY is real, because the sheep are sleeping. We are not affiliated to any religions, sects, or political parties. We are people that live among your mass sheep mentality society by the few, but we have basic understanding and clarity of not being part of a society of sheep. 90% lives in this modern day society of sheep.

June 5, 2013 at 1:14 pm |
    • DoesItReallyMatter

Does it really matter after 100 years?

June 5, 2013 at 1:20 pm |
    • snowboarder

society wasn't created. it evolved.

June 5, 2013 at 1:25 pm |
    • Freedom

@Doesit ReallyMatter – Elaborate you are onto something. This question of your can be answered by saying that it is up to you to live 100 years of self inflicted pain or live 100 years of understanding and avoid self inflicted pain that the 90% are doing to themselves and others.

June 5, 2013 at 1:28 pm |
    • Freedom

June 5, 2013 at 1:30 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Freedom, look in the mirror, then, after admiring yourself, look outdoors. You'll see trees, sky, flowers, lawns, if you're close to water, oceans, streams, rivers, lakes etc. I can go on. Just know that scientists didn't create anything, but, they do try to figure out how God did.

Smile.

June 5, 2013 at 1:46 pm |
    • Ernest T bass

Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1][2] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[3][4][5] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[

June 5, 2013 at 1:48 pm |
    • Freedom

Your definition is the same as this argument. If one is trying to cook a fish and do their best to disguise the taste it with other flavors, herbs and ingridients you will come up with the same taste, it may be suttle but still you can either smell or taste the fish. No matter how you cook a fish still smells and taste like a fish.

June 5, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
    • Freedom

@HeavenSent you are close to the truth, There is a small hint there about the SOCIETY that you mentioned in your response, but if I were to give it away, no one would grow, because it would be something thought and becomes a belief and not the truth.

OKAY THIS IS FOR EVERYONE. No longer will respond unless your comment is outside the box. Quit thinking like a religion or sec type of sheep society. The 3 responses to the 3 people it is enough information for you all to understand and think outside the box. The one answer that someone will receive is "Welcome to the SOCIETY!" only if you are thinking ourside the box and I will share my contact info with that person to further the growth in SOCIETY..

June 5, 2013 at 2:23 pm |
    • Ernest T Bass

@Freedumb...... "@ Earnest T Bass. I noticed that you are in the dark too. You just gave me a definition of atheism, great! Now what? No matter how you define a sect or religion, athiesm / sect in this case is another belief system. You believe that there is no Diety. Do you understand what I am trying to say? I know it is hard after a life of being in a society of sheep it is hard to understand like SOCIETY."

Are you really that stupid? So I believe that I don't believe?..... try to wrap your little brain around the very simple concept....

Atheism is a lack of belief.... nothing more..... ........

June 6, 2013 at 8:40 am |
    • Ernest T Bass

@Freedom "By the way, I will only answer to people that think outside the box. All others will be disgarded,"

You mean thinking "outside the box" as in twisting word definitions to suit your personal agenda?..... what a joke...
      Consider your ignorance disregarded...... LOL...

June 6, 2013 at 8:45 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Freedom
      Concepts such as ‘state’ and ‘society’ and have no existence save as physically exemplified in the acts of self-responsible individuals. Responsibility, blame, guilt, etc. are matters taking place inside human beings singly and nowhere else.
      Morality is a covenant between humans that enables us to extend our instinctive drive to do that which is least painful for ourselves (self-preservation) to other people. Were it not for our ability to reason this out and cooperate, our species would not survive. As individuals, we are prey animals – soft, squidgy, slow and bereft of in-built offensive capabilities. As a cooperative group, we have become the dominant species in nearly every eco-system on Earth.
      People are not good to one another by default. Effective cooperation is a learned skill and the successful religions recognize that it takes a mighty big stick to beat the selfishness out of us.
      Historically, it has been a God sized stick capable to inflicting unimaginable devastation in this life and the hereafter.

You can go ahead and label atheism a belief system, but it is nothing more than a negative statement.
      'A" = lack of. "Theism" = belief in gods. A + Theism = lack of belief in gods.

June 6, 2013 at 8:55 am |
    • fintastic

@Doc............ "you can go ahead and label atheism a belief system, but it is nothing more than a negative statement.
      'A" = lack of. "Theism" = belief in gods. A + Theism = lack of belief in gods.
      It is akin to describing the vocalist in a band as the group's "a-instrumentalist" – it says only what they don't do."

Thank you Doc....... I didn't think that was so hard to understand... apparently it is for some.

June 6, 2013 at 11:23 am |
    • Freedom

A person of religion says "I believe there is a God"

A person claims to be an Athiest "I don't believe there is a God"

Look at the two sentences above they have one thing in common. These two labels/groups that society made up it's nothing but a belief system. How can you label or group yourself under a name e.g. Christian or athiest if you don't believe it.
      Labeling/Grouping oneself is because you believe in that particular belief system. How can someone claim or label themselves if you don't believe in that belief system.

Name calling and insults are a lack of intelligence, therefore it makes a person ignorant to just result in negative labeling. When calling one ignorant just remember it takes one to know one.

It is not SOCIETY fault that you are inside the box, but the society that you chose to believe and fit in is to blame, because you are thinking in a society's norm. Thinking outside the box ability is not being influenced by the dumb down sheep society.

Lack of understanding in your part doesn't mean anthing in our part. Apparently, society is not ready to think outside the box as of yet.

June 6, 2013 at 1:44 pm |
    • Freedom

DO YOU "BELIEVE" IN ATHIESM? are you an athiest? No matter how you ask in the end you belive that you are athiest. BELIEF SYSTEM".

June 6, 2013 at 3:31 pm |
    • Ernest T Bass

Again, saying "I believe that I don't believe" is an ignorant statement.

June 12, 2013 at 11:04 am |
    • fintastic

@Freedom.... DO YOU "BELIEVE" IN ATHIESM?....

You're asking do I believe that I don't believe? ..When you make ridiculous statements like that you can expect to be ridiculed...and FYI, this means that, is not "thinking outside the box"...

June 13, 2013 at 7:55 am |
  6. coolusernametwo

Religion has a psychological pay-off, that's why people don't want to give it up. It's nice to know that God will take care of you, and you don't have to be responsible for your own actions.

June 5, 2013 at 1:14 pm |
    • Freedom

Read my blog above my confused patriot.

June 5, 2013 at 1:20 pm |
    • Ernest T Bass

Sorry... you've been disregarded..

June 6, 2013 at 8:45 am |
  7. faith

like i said, these idiots r free to believe anything they want. they can't dismiss the accounts of those who shared what they held and handled and saw. can't be done. at least, they've never done it. not even close. they have no evidence whatsoever that what they wrote isn't 100% accurate.

June 5, 2013 at 1:12 pm |
    • snowboarder

lol! is that supposed to be some kind of a joke? all religious myths are considered the invention of men unless otherwise proven.

June 5, 2013 at 1:14 pm |
    • ReligionIsBS

and you cant do that for every other religion. So others peoples religions are real?

June 5, 2013 at 1:14 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

you are why we laugh at christians

June 5, 2013 at 1:15 pm |
    • faith

who was jesus?

dying out of love 4 him because u've been deceived and dying 4 him because you've stuck to ur guns r 2 different things. intelligent people recognize this. that's y dodo, lil fatty sambo, al qaeda, bill ni, etc., have no clue.

June 5, 2013 at 1:18 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

time for your meds faithy

June 5, 2013 at 1:21 pm |
    • faith

what r u hollering u idiot? they told us what happened and they died for it. that's evidence u stoopid moron.

snowboarder

June 5, 2013 at 1:28 pm |
    • James

Faith,

Had you been born in the US in the 1500 you would have believe in animal spirits and never have heard of god or Jesus in your lifetime. You've been brainwashed as a child into a particular set of ideas, it's time to let go an accept the fact that they're just ideas and not facts.

June 5, 2013 at 1:34 pm |
    • snowboarder

@faith, sorry that is evidence of nothing. people die for any number of pointless reasons. just imagine the islamic martyrs. does their death make their message any more real? or course not.

June 5, 2013 at 1:38 pm |
    • faith

i said u couldn't distinguish. don't say i didn't

snowboarder

June 5, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
    • snowboarder

@faith, i can distinguish nonsense and your posts are full of it.

June 5, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
  8. Truth

People are starting to doubt those ancient Middle Easterners hold the key to immortality with their backward outdated story books. Good religion should be banned!

June 5, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
    • snowboarder

not banned. just exposed as the invention of supersti tious men.

June 5, 2013 at 1:12 pm |
    • Max

Agreed... Religion is part of our cultural history and should be preserved in the future as a reminder of when humans retained a primitive mindset. You can put with the other mythology books.

June 5, 2013 at 1:17 pm |
    • lol??

Max, what are your plans of financing for all those books??

June 5, 2013 at 1:26 pm |
  9. lol??

Call Charlie.

"I can't dislike you, but I will say this to you: you haven't got long before you are all going to kill yourselves, because you are all crazy. And you can project it back at me, but I am only what lives inside each and every one of you.
    Charles Manson

June 5, 2013 at 1:09 pm |
    • midwest rail

Ah – yuou're a Manson follower – that does explain a lot.

June 5, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
    • lol??

He's just an A&A tryin' to figure it all out. Birds of a feather land in the tree.

"Rev 18:2 And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird."

June 5, 2013 at 1:18 pm |
  10. mama k

Some people think religious belief might be a form of mental illness.

I wouldn't say mental illness, but I would like to think that in the future, we will much better understand the mind's inclination toward gullibility and assessment of reality in general. Maybe we shouldn't assume that in the future we will still be restricted with the same modes of communication that we use now. Maybe in the future we should expect to have a much better understanding of how our minds assign an assessment value to what our senses and other input factors is feeding it. We might develop better ways to assist in more direct relay of such assessment levels from one another than we what we currently think we are limited to. (So that when you read a news story, for instance, you might also get a composite assessment value that was assigned directly from other readers without them ever having to express such assessment via speaking, writing, etc. if a group of people are on the scene of some event covered by the news, then obviously there would be great value in knowing some directly transferred assessment values from their brains, rather than what today we get as a summary from a few reporters plus maybe a few witnesses that still have to express what they saw.)

June 5, 2013 at 1:09 pm |
  11. ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

Atheism self center is un American, a violation of American laws, deserves to be eliminated like any hind, crime, such as religion of hinduism, racism, product of hindu atheism, criminal self center ism. See to believe hind, crime of hindus, racist by faith, pretending to be civil to hind, fool humanity. it is not of human, but animals, secular s, self cantered by faith.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_hmOoqOEbg&w=640&h=360]

June 5, 2013 at 1:05 pm |
    • mama k

Atheism a violation of American laws? Wow – you're even more ignorant and uneducated than I previously thought.

June 5, 2013 at 1:14 pm |
  12. faith

they run from the challenge of identifying him.

June 5, 2013 at 1:02 pm |
  13. faith

no evidence?

how stoopid can people b?

we have the written accounts of a number of trustworthy men who sacrificed their lives to inform the world about jesus christ and his shed blood.

idiots dismiss this evidence because they are morons. can't help them.

June 5, 2013 at 1:01 pm |
    • Alias

And thousands of people saw Mohamad move a mountain.
      How stupid can you be?

June 5, 2013 at 1:03 pm |
    • Michael Lee

lol @ "trustworthy men"..

so you verify they are trustworthy...and thta they are the men they say they are

and that this so called invisible god....gave them the responsibility of informing everyone on earth....even tho they are just a few men in a specific region of the world

June 5, 2013 at 1:04 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

idiots believe that this is evidence because they are morons. can't help them.

June 5, 2013 at 1:06 pm |
    • snowboarder

there are no credible first hand accounts.

at best the story of jesus is a gross embellishment of a decent philosopher. at worst, they are completely fictional.

June 5, 2013 at 1:06 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

@faith

you win the prize. that has to be one of the most laughable comments I have ever read.

oh what? you weren't trying to be funny?!?! oh ... poor you!

June 5, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
    • Vic

I like to pose this question for an analogy:

How do we really know that George Washington was the First President of the United States?

June 5, 2013 at 1:26 pm |
    • snowboarder

@vic, what analogy do you draw from the well docu mented history of our first president and the mythical jesus?

June 5, 2013 at 1:40 pm |
    • Arthur Bryant

"Trustworthy" is strictly a matter of opinion. People often sacrifice their lives for stupid reasons – like when the commit mass suicide so their souls can travel to the Mother Ship. How you can actually believe that any of the things you name const.itute proof is completely beyond me.

June 7, 2013 at 2:53 pm |
  14. Nate

Can't turn to God. Go to these people? Ha!

June 5, 2013 at 12:57 pm |
    • Alias

Well where are you supposed to turn when satan quits answering your prayers?

June 5, 2013 at 1:01 pm |
  15. sly

Y'all are hilarious the way you take this religion thing so seriously.

Lighten up folks. If you want to believe in your own God, cool, enjoy, doesn't bother anyone else. If you don't have a God, that's cool also. Not important in life here on earth.

Man, y'all are like listening to a Red Sox fan trying to convince a Yankee's fan to convert. Sorry folks, ain't gonna happen – everyone has their own opinions, and like all opinions, one cannot prove them right or wrong.

June 5, 2013 at 12:57 pm |
    • Alias

But i can prove the Yankees win more than the Red Sox do.
      I can also provide proof that the Yankees cheat.

This arguement is more pointless.

June 5, 2013 at 1:00 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

No, but we can prove that the creation myths of all religions are incorrect; as that is the foundation for each religion they are clearly dubious propositions.

June 5, 2013 at 1:04 pm |
  16. CNN reader

I'll call it, but if you call me a "tard" I'm going to hang up on you.

June 5, 2013 at 12:54 pm |
    • Akira

I laughed. I'll admit it.

June 5, 2013 at 12:58 pm |
    • CNN reader

😉

June 5, 2013 at 1:04 pm |
  17. richunix

For those who quote the Bible as “Truth”

You can try reading the Codex Sinaiticus , or the Codex Vaticanus (Codex Bezae, 8th century) written in the 4th century. Both version have the most complete version of earlier Bible and some more, however they have MAJOR difference between your current version. Or you may take your hand (like the rest of us) and learn Konic Greek, so you can read the very early version of the Bible like, Papyrus P52,46 or P75. You listed historical names from the Bible, maybe you should try reading the Gnostic Gospel such as The Gospel of Mary, James, Peter…better yet the Gospel of Judas (published in 2006) or the Gospel of Solomon (or King Solomon), how about the Gospel of Jesus himself?. Do you even know the difference between the Gnosticism and Docetism? Take your current four Gospel and read the Crucifixion stories, which version is correct, when only one (unnamed Apostle was present) and yet they all have different words spoken by the dying Jesus, different way’s and times he died. The bible you see today is not the bible that was originally written 2000 years ago, in fact not even close. None of the Gospel are/were not written by any of eyewitness they are penned after, they are in fact written century’s later by trained Greek scribes, you need to read more about Teutullin and Irenaeus. We do not HAVE any surviving Gospel from the 1st century, it is not until the 3rd century we have a few incomplete Gospel (P46/75) and the most complete by the 4th century and even these do not match the earlier version.

June 5, 2013 at 12:51 pm |
    • Mike Brock

Is that due in part to the Council of Nicea?

June 5, 2013 at 12:56 pm |

Psalms 33:4

For the word of the LORD [is] right; and all his works [are done] in truth.

Amen.

June 5, 2013 at 1:07 pm |
    • The lord all might be

Psalms 33:4

For the word of the LORD [is] right; and all his works [are done] in truth.

The only problem is he never has spoken or written a word, only men have...

Ramen

June 5, 2013 at 1:16 pm |
    • HeavenSent

rich, you read too much from those spoken of in Matthew 3:7.

June 5, 2013 at 1:20 pm |
    • Bart D. Ehrman

if you would like to learn more about how the Bible has changed and why please read "Misquoting Jesus' By Bart D. Ehrman. (No I'n not him but I've read the book)

June 5, 2013 at 2:16 pm |
    • Freedom

Okay, show proof.

June 6, 2013 at 10:49 am |
  18. Dyslexic doG

Christians in this forum who wonder why Atheists post.

By your writing and your passion we see that you (with a few exceptions) are intelligent and educated.

How then can you believe a book that is so patently foolish and so obviously a product of bronze age folk with little or no knowledge of the world and so full of inconsistencies and laughably foolish scenarios and notably misogynistic and brutal and racist and intolerant stories? A book that copies shamelessly from many religions pre-dating it. A book that was written decades or centuries after the characters were said to have existed.

How then can you believe in a God when there is absolutely ZERO proof of said God's existence?

I am sure that all Atheists enjoy the interplay here but we are all flabbergasted by your belief in this children's fairytale.

June 5, 2013 at 12:51 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

Christianity is not primarily about becoming rationally convinced of a set of facts about the cosmos- though it is also that- but about falling in love. One can read all the books one wants about proofs for the existence of God, or about the historical evidence for Christ’s Resurrection- and I do recommend doing so- but one will have entirely missed the point if it is not understood that Christianity is about falling in love with a person, the person of Jesus Christ, God and man. God is not a theory, but a person. He is not a proof, but a being.

June 5, 2013 at 1:08 pm |

T.i.tus 1:10

Amen.

June 5, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
    • Bob

No, Bull Deacon, Christianity is mainly about hate and violent retribution. That is very apparent from the horrid Christian book of tall tales AKA the bible, in which we find horrid instructions such as these, from both foul testaments:

Numbers 31:17-18
      17 Now kiII all the boys. And kiII every woman who has slept with a man,
      18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Deuteronomy 13:6 – “If your brother, your mother’s son or your son or daughter, or the wife you cherish, or your friend who is as your own soul entice you secretly, saying, let us go and serve other gods … you shall surely kill him; your hand shall be first against him to put him to death”

Revelations 2:23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

Leviticus 25
      44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.
      45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property.
      46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

Note that the bible is also very clear that you should sacrifice and burn an animal today because the smell makes sicko Christian sky fairy happy. No, you don't get to use the parts for food. You burn them, a complete waste of the poor animal.

Yes, the bible really says that, everyone. Yes, it's in Leviticus, look it up. Yes, Jesus purportedly said that the OT commands still apply. No exceptions. But even if you think the OT was god's mistaken first go around, you have to ask why a perfect, loving enti-ty would ever put such horrid instructions in there. If you think rationally at all, that is.

And then, if you disagree with my interpretation, ask yourself how it is that your "god" couldn't come up with a better way to communicate than a book that is so readily subject to so many interpretations and to being taken "out of context", and has so many mistakes in it. Pretty pathetic god that you've made for yourself.

So get out your sacrificial knife or your nasty sky creature will torture you eternally. Or just take a closer look at your foolish supersti-tions, understand that they are just silly, and toss them into the dustbin with all the rest of the gods that man has created.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
      Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

June 5, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
    • Dwayne

Bob, Dull Beacon is the site Catholick apologist wingnut. He'll go on all day making excuses for his wacky religion. Best to ignore him.

June 5, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Bob, let me lead you in His truth. Those scriptures refer to unbelievers.

June 5, 2013 at 1:22 pm |
    • sam stone

In order to fall in love with someone, billy, you have to meet them.

Have you met jesus?

What does he look like?
      How tall?
      What color hair?
      What color eyes?
      Does he have an accent?
      Did he speak to you in English?

June 5, 2013 at 1:28 pm |
    • Hear This

HeavenSent

" let me lead you in His truth."

I wouldn't trust you to lead me to the nearest 7-11, kid. You've got nuthin'.

June 5, 2013 at 1:41 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

You or your wife has never been pregnant sam? You didn't love your unborn baby? You premise is flawed.

June 5, 2013 at 3:40 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Hear This, you posted "HeavenSent, " let me lead you in His truth." I wouldn't trust you to lead me to the nearest 7-11, kid. You've got nuthin'."

Answer: I'm sorry to read that you believe your conditioning not to believe is impenetrable. God Bless you.

June 8, 2013 at 11:25 am |
  19. blaqb0x

Why don't they just call into the Atheist Experience Show?

June 5, 2013 at 12:49 pm |
  20. Josie Behnke

I left the faith I was raised in many years ago. I joined another one within five years of leaving the first. I am not Christian and haven't been for a while. Though it's not easy to change, if you truly want you, you will and it won't matter what others say or do to you. Find a close friend that knows you and can support you, but a hot line like this...sorry but you might as well go door to door and minister atheism to them. To each their own, but this seems rather pointless to me.

June 5, 2013 at 12:48 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

people who live in the bible belt have a hard time finding any friend who is not religious and will just drag them back into the cult. Sometimes you have to go outside the cult to find a voice of sanity.

June 5, 2013 at 12:53 pm |
    • Alias

It may be pointless for you, but not everyone sees the world as you do.

June 5, 2013 at 12:57 pm |
    • lionlylamb

Josie Behnke,

I keep telling the gay crowds just the very same thing! Go figure!

June 5, 2013 at 1:08 pm |

Romans 2:8

But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,

Amen.

June 5, 2013 at 1:15 pm |
    • snowboarder

@lamb, that is the first non-jibberish comment i have ever read from you.

June 5, 2013 at 1:16 pm |