home
RSS
Atheists to start 1-800 hotline for doubters
The group Recovering from Religion plans to start a helpline for people struggling with religious doubts.
June 4th, 2013

Atheists to start 1-800 hotline for doubters

By Dan Merica, CNN
[twitter-follow screen_name='DanMericaCNN']

(CNN) – Who can people call when religious doubts arise, but they're afraid to talk to their faith leaders or families?

A group that helps people "recover" from religion says it's ready to pick up the phone.

Recovering from Religion, which has about 40 support groups in the U.S. and Britain, plans to launch a hotline that will offer doubters an anonymous place to ask difficult questions and find communities of like-minded nonbelievers.

The group plans to staff the help line 24 hours a day and is modeling it after services like suicide prevention hotlines.

Sarah Morehead, executive director of Recovering from Religion, told CNN that the mission is to help people, not convert them to atheism.

“A lot of the times they just need someone to talk to," Morehead said.

The 1-800 number has yet to be named. Recovering from Religion is trying to raise $30,000 by June 30 to fund "The Hotline Project" with up to 40 counselors.

Ideally, the help line would be live by the holiday season, said Morehead, which is often a difficult time for people struggling with religious doubts.

Photos: Famous atheists and their beliefs

The idea for the hotline sprang up after calls came in to the Recovering from Religion phone line from people who were questioning their faith and needed to talk to someone. Morehead said she gets a few calls every day and hundreds of e-mails a month from people seeking counseling.

From there, she said, it seemed a hotline that provided a permanent, anonymous place to talk to someone was the best option.

"Coming out" as a nonbeliever - or even a doubter - can often be extremely difficult, Morehead and others say. In addition to the existential worries, budding nonbelievers run the risk of alienating family and friends.

The help line’s volunteer counselors will be trained to not engage in religious debate, Morehead said. Instead, they will try to give callers “practical, action-oriented solutions.”

When someone first calls the hotline, the counselor will start by simply asking the caller to talk about his or her personal story, said Morehead.

Later, the counselor and the caller might work on an action plan. The caller's goals may concern formally leaving religion altogether, but Morehead said that counselors will also offer advice on finding a new faith or connecting with a local community of nonbelievers.

Some blogs have questioned the hotline, however, calling it a ploy to increase the number of atheists in America.

Headlines like “New 1-800 Number Funded By Liberals To Convert Christians to Atheists,” for example, have cropped up at a number of conservative blogs.

Morehead said her critics fail to grasp the point of Recovering from Religion.

“Most of the people who contact us are working their way towards disbelief, so of course we are very equipped to handle that,” Morehead said. “That is not the goal, though, or the job of the facilitators.”

Photos: 'Born-again' celebrities

This hotline is not completely unique in the world of religious "nones" – people who either don’t believe in God or don’t affiliate with any religious beliefs. Atheists have long discussed disbelief in the comfort of online anonymity.

“We have seen how important the Internet is, especially young people questioning their faith, and this provides them with another resource with a different focus,” said Jesse Galef, communications director for the Secular Student Alliance. “For people who want more guidance, I think this resource will be very valuable.”

Services that help religious doubters have thrived recently.

The Clergy Project, an online community for preachers who no longer believe in God, has grown from 52 to nearly 500 people since its founding in 2011, said Teresa MacBain, the former executive director of the project.

MacBain, a former pastor who converted to atheism, called the help line "another way for people to contact someone anonymously and discuss the struggles they are having for their beliefs.”

“If this project had been around when I found the Clergy Project, I would have used it.”

MacBain said she plans to get training as one of the counselors and hopes to be answering calls when the service launches.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • United States

soundoff (3,878 Responses)
  1. bruno altimino

Truth, evidence, science, Ok, I get it. Just one question though. What are you guys going to do IF science finally proves a supreme being, i.e. God, is responsible for creating awareness in the middle of abyss (nothingness)? Just curious.

June 4, 2013 at 7:59 pm |
    • Secular Humanist from Ohio

That's a BIG if. But if so established, all theories would be thrown out like yesterdays newspaper. That's the great thing about science, logic and reason. There is willingness to disregard ideas in the face of evidence.

June 4, 2013 at 8:07 pm |
    • I Am God

I highly doubt it. Science has already proven multiple things wrong with the Bible (like a talking snake).

June 4, 2013 at 8:10 pm |
    • Seyedibar

We'd embrace the idea. Science is fueled by the passion for chasing mystery and hoping for spectacularly interesting answers.

June 4, 2013 at 8:10 pm |
    • Science!

The word 'proven' or 'fact' is used in a different manner in the scientific community. Everything really is a theory, but we gather evidence to create overwhelming support for certain observations. In this case, if there is enough evidence, then I would have no problem with it.

June 4, 2013 at 8:11 pm |
    • Mack

bruno: I would change my mind in a second if there was proof of a God. This is actually my primary argument so thanks for bringing it up. What if science showed you an answer to every one of your questions...would you change your mind? I doubt it. I asked a guy I work with – who is a really smart dude – the same question. His main argument is "I side with science and am with you all the way back to the big bang, but what created the big bang..something can't come from nothing"? I asked if science showed you could literally have something appear from nothing if he'd change his mind and he said "no, then I'd have to assume a God was the only thing that could have made that happen". Precisely the problem as I see it. No matter how much evidence – even if the evidence proves something mind blowing and seemingly provides an answer to the believer's main question – the believer always will put God as the step before whatever mind blowing discovery has been made. Hence my reason to believe that you are completely not open to changing your mind.

June 4, 2013 at 8:24 pm |
    • bruno altimino

@Mack: The mysteries of the universe is not where I base my faith. Very simply, my faith is an example and guide for me to live by. The only promise I receive from this is peace in my soul. Go watch and listen to "One Tin Soldier Rides Away" on youtube. "...peace on earth, was all it said".

June 4, 2013 at 8:42 pm |
  2. Age of Reason

...this "jesus christ" character is irrelavent to the USA, as the Founding Fathers were all DEISTS!
    Thomas Jefferson and Paine, Nathan Hale, Benji Franklin, et al. all stated that "JESUS" NEVER existed, therefore, he di NOT exist and do NOT believe in him! He was a mythical, political construct...a phoney!

June 4, 2013 at 7:49 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

There are some exaggerated over-statements there. They weren't all deists, though I suspect that at least Madison was (privately) an atheist and Jefferson certainly did not believe in biblical miracles.

What is true is that they created a country that was independent of religion. This was a first.

June 4, 2013 at 7:56 pm |
    • bruno altimino

"God is Spirit" . The Holy Spirit is the only part of "God" most of us are familiar with. What is spirit? An example for us to live by, to love one another, to be compassionate, brave, considerate, loyal, etc. What is the gift we receive in following the Holy Spirit? Peace in our soul that we are living a clean productive life. Personally, that's all I need from my faith. Therefore, contrary to your movement, my faith is real. So is the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is real in me.

June 4, 2013 at 8:14 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Whose "movement" are you referring to?

June 4, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
    • bruno altimino

@ not a GOPer: I am referring to the atheist movement or belief.

June 4, 2013 at 8:29 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Atheism isn't a belief.

While no doubt some want it to be a movement, it isn't that either.

June 5, 2013 at 11:44 am |
  3. jim

I guess there's an alternative to the 1-800-GODNEEDSMONEY line finally!

June 4, 2013 at 7:49 pm |
  4. Samvel

Not all

June 4, 2013 at 7:36 pm |
  5. Science

Science..............urls are fun

Hey I found my theme song I just love this it really says what I am about. But excuse me I just wet my pants

OK..............thanks..................who ever is the fake handle as i did not post.

Peace

Lmfao...........got no sole..............on bottom of shoe...........can be replaced or repaired !

May 21, 2013 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |

June 4, 2013 at 7:35 pm |
    • Secular Humanist from Ohio

Thanks! I love this song!

June 4, 2013 at 7:37 pm |
    • Science

You are welcome.

Me too.................would love to know who posted originally though.

June 4, 2013 at 7:47 pm |
  6. Common Sense Sam

This hotline is a GREAT idea. Why? Because there are young people out there who are waking up from their religious brainwashing only to find that they will lose EVERYTHING and suffer major consequences if they reveal themselves as atheists. Those people, who never asked to be indoctrinated into their parents religion when they were born, face being kicked out of their home, losing the love and care of their family, their friends and are sometimes even mentally and physically abused for revealing their atheism. It happens more than people realize. That's why this hotline is a great idea.

June 4, 2013 at 7:34 pm |
  7. dare5259

In the beginning God created...

You can call it whatever you want, and say there's no proof. That's fine. You can have a self-help group and pages of "logical argument" against the presence of God. You can create and sustain arguments against the infallibility of scripture. None of that matters to any of us who believe in God. God made you, loves you and wants a relationship with you. If you don't want it, that's your choice.

It's strange to think that so many people believe they should have the logical power to understand everything God has done or said. Supposing God is eternal, isn't it unlikely, that you, in your infintesimally short lifespan would ever pass infancy in your understanding of the Universe he created? Did you understand at 2 years old how your parents provided for you or set your world in motion?

The arrogance is the assumption that you can know and/or understand, thereby removing any opportunity for faith or saving grace.

God Bless

June 4, 2013 at 7:31 pm |
    • Troglodytes Entertaining All

The flaw in your 'logic', of course, is that you're assuming god exists in the first place.... Remember, assertions made without proof require no proof to deny.

June 4, 2013 at 7:34 pm |
    • jim

keep your sick god away from me. I love my wife and im not interested in a relationship with a tyrannical father figure.

June 4, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
    • Athy

Looks like dare is thoroughly biblewashed. No hope for recovery there.

June 4, 2013 at 7:57 pm |
    • Seyedibar

Here's another fatal flaw. The Old Testament didn't include a creation account until the Romans got their hands on it. "In the Beginning..." is the first in a very long line of mistranslations.

June 4, 2013 at 8:01 pm |
    • G to the T

"None of that matters to any of us who believe in God." – Sooo... there's really no point in having a rational discussion with you because you'll ignore any evidence that's contrary to what you believe... got it...

June 6, 2013 at 4:11 pm |
  8. Ryan

I'm glad to hear about this project. Helping to bring people out of the self-delusional alternate-reality that religion teaches is a noble goal, that can only reduce the amount of hatred and violence in the world.

June 4, 2013 at 7:27 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Isaiah 13:11

Amen.

June 4, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
    • LOL!

"And I will punish the world for [their] evil, and the wicked for their iniquity; and I will cause the arrogancy of the proud to cease, and will lay low the haughtiness of the terrible."

= Christians

June 4, 2013 at 7:42 pm |
    • David

HeavenSent you were drawn to that text because it's describing you, not the atheists.

June 4, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
    • Seyedibar

quoting Isaiah? So now you worship the Egyptian god Ptah?
      because that's originally the god of the Isaiah myth.

June 4, 2013 at 7:57 pm |
    • sam stone

those who go around parroting the bible are imbeciles

June 4, 2013 at 8:29 pm |
  9. Troglodytes Entertaining All

Morality is doing what's right no matter what you're told...

Religion is doing what you're told, no matter what's right.

June 4, 2013 at 7:26 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Deuteronomy 4:8

And what nation [is there so] great, that hath statutes and judgments [so] righteous as all this law, which I set before you this day?

Amen.

June 4, 2013 at 7:42 pm |
    • Pete

In case anyone is wondering HeavenSent takes scripture out of context all the time proving she doesn't understand the bible at all!

June 4, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
  10. Adam

Hopefully this will help eventually put to rest more religious views.

June 4, 2013 at 7:25 pm |
  11. Seyedibar

Feel free to hurl insults at atheists. You're only insulting yourself, since every human being alive is in atheist.

June 4, 2013 at 7:25 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Romans 3:3

Amen.

June 4, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
    • Seyedibar

Heaven Sent, that's the equivalent of telling your child: "Of course Santa is real. The milk and cookies are gone aren't they?"

June 4, 2013 at 7:49 pm |
    • Pete

"For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?"

HeavenSent you're such an idiot we are atheists not Jews so that scripture isn't talking about us. Keep showing the world you don't understand the bible at all. You are very good at googling your bible study websites but it doesn't mean you actually comprehend the scriptures. What a an idiot.

June 4, 2013 at 7:49 pm |
    • David

@Pete it's why HeavenSent can only post scriptures and won't participate in an actual debate on these subjects, she is clueless.

June 4, 2013 at 7:55 pm |
  12. DoesItReallyMatter

Does your conversion to atheism really matter after a 100 years? By then all those who read this article are probably dead already. If there is nothing after death, if a soul is not immortal, and if death is the end, then nothing really matter. All the good deeds you have done, the contributions you have made to the humanity, or the bad things you wish no one will ever find out will be simply vanished away after your death. You may say, "History will be the judge." I will ask,"What good about the judgement if you are not there to be judged?" So does it really matter if you convert to atheist? I will say it does matter if you feel good after the conversion. Does it really matter after 100 years? If atheism is right(there is no real way to prove it unless you realize there is nothing after you die), whether you convert to atheism doesn't really matter.

Can you prove that there is nothing after death?

I can't prove that a soul is immortal. Neither can you prove that it is not. By looking at dead body can only prove that the body is dead. What about the soul? Also if you are right, it there is nothing after death, it doesn't really matter what we believe right now.

Does it really matter whose burden of proof is upon whom if there is nothing after death? Does this discussion even relevant after 100 years?

June 4, 2013 at 7:24 pm |
    • Seyedibar

Before you get into ridiculous semantics of the longevity of a soul, first you'd have to prove there is a soul. And that's extrememly unlikely, since modern science has mapped out most of the human personality and know exactly what defines it.

June 4, 2013 at 7:26 pm |
    • DoesItReallyMatter

June 4, 2013 at 7:30 pm |
    • Seyedibar

It matters in many ways. Religion holds mankind back from acheiving his full potential. Religion is a major hindrance to scientific and social progress.

June 4, 2013 at 7:48 pm |
    • DoesItReallyMatter

What does mankind achieving his full potential has anything to do with me after 100 years? Assuming I am dead by then.

June 4, 2013 at 8:00 pm |
    • Seyedibar

because like most people on the planet, you will likely reproduce.

June 4, 2013 at 8:03 pm |
    • Joey

Mankind reaching its full potential won't mean anything to you in 100 years if you are dead, but it will mean something to the people who are still around after you die. So I guess the question is why do you seem to only care about yourself?

June 5, 2013 at 1:43 pm |
    • G to the T

Doesitreallymatter – why so self-centered? Why can't it be for the good of humanity as a species. Why does it have to be about you?

June 6, 2013 at 4:17 pm |
  13. NJreader

Baloney, says this lifelong atheist, and please pass the mustard. You do not need a hotline or a counselor. If you believe in no deities, devils, or supernatural anythings, then that's is. As for the woman who "converted to" atheism, that is absurd too. You cannot convert, except to a religion, a faith, a doctrine, a dogma, an "ism," etc. True atheists do not need to meet or blog or natter on about the subject; we just go about our lives absent church and the rest of all that. There is no club, no book, no dues, no nothing. There are atheists-Hitchens, Dawkins, Singer-who have written about problems/faults in religion, and trouble caused by it, but they do not represent the rest of us, or claim to do so. The great men who were atheists-Einstein and Richard Feynman to name two-simply said that they did not need a faith in a god to be good human beings.

June 4, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
    • Carl

"Baloney, says this lifelong atheist,"

If you are a "lifelong" atheist, you have nothing to do with this.

June 4, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Job 21:1-34

1   But Job answered and said,

2   Hear diligently my speech, and let this be your consolations.

3   Suffer me that I may speak; and after that I have spoken, mock on.

4   As for me, [is] my complaint to man? and if [it were so], why should not my spirit be troubled?

5   Mark me, and be astonished, and lay [your] hand upon [your] mouth.

6   Even when I remember I am afraid, and trembling taketh hold on my flesh.

7   Wherefore do the wicked live, become old, yea, are mighty in power?

8   Their seed is established in their sight with them, and their offspring before their eyes.

9   Their houses [are] safe from fear, neither [is] the rod of God upon them.

10   Their bull gendereth, and faileth not; their cow calveth, and casteth not her calf.

11   They send forth their little ones like a flock, and their children dance.

12   They take the timbrel and harp, and rejoice at the sound of the organ.

13   They spend their days in wealth, and in a moment go down to the grave.

14   Therefore they say unto God, Depart from us; for we desire not the knowledge of thy ways.

15   What [is] the Almighty, that we should serve him? and what profit should we have, if we pray unto him?

16   Lo, their good [is] not in their hand: the counsel of the wicked is far from me.

17   How oft is the candle of the wicked put out! and [how oft] cometh their destruction upon them! [God] distributeth sorrows in his anger.

18   They are as stubble before the wind, and as chaff that the storm carrieth away.

19   God layeth up his iniquity for his children: he rewardeth him, and he shall know [it].

20   His eyes shall see his destruction, and he shall drink of the wrath of the Almighty.

21   For what pleasure [hath] he in his house after him, when the number of his months is cut off in the midst?

22   Shall [any] teach God knowledge? seeing he judgeth those that are high.

23   One dieth in his full strength, being wholly at ease and quiet.

24   His breasts are full of milk, and his bones are moistened with marrow.

25   And another dieth in the bitterness of his soul, and never eateth with pleasure.

26   They shall lie down alike in the dust, and the worms shall cover them.

27   Behold, I know your thoughts, and the devices [which] ye wrongfully imagine against me.

28   For ye say, Where [is] the house of the prince? and where [are] the dwelling places of the wicked?

29   Have ye not asked them that go by the way? and do ye not know their tokens,

30   That the wicked is reserved to the day of destruction? they shall be brought forth to the day of wrath.

31   Who shall declare his way to his face? and who shall repay him [what] he hath done?

32   Yet shall he be brought to the grave, and shall remain in the tomb.

33   The clods of the valley shall be sweet unto him, and every man shall draw after him, as [there are] innumerable before him.

34   How then comfort ye me in vain, seeing in your answers there remaineth falsehood?

Amen.

June 4, 2013 at 8:00 pm |
    • Seyedibar

Job is fiction. It's a poem, not a history lesson.

June 4, 2013 at 8:05 pm |
    • Sam

"Job is fiction. It's a poem, not a history lesson."

What HS is also missing is it's relates to Christians gone astray and has nothing to do with atheists. LOL!

June 4, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Sam,history within the Bible is about the followers and the lost (unbelievers).

June 4, 2013 at 8:22 pm |
    • Smithsonian

"Sam,history within the Bible is about the followers and the lost (unbelievers)."

The Bible is primarily a book of religion, a guide to faith. it was not a book of history, poetry, economics, or science. It contains all sorts of literary genre, which are used to teach about the relationship between God and mankind. Even biblical history is edited history: events were chosen to illustrate the central theme of the Bible. The Biblical writers did not pretend they were giving a complete history; instead they constantly refer us to other sources for full historical details, sources such as "The Annals of the Kings of Judah" (or Israel).

It is therefore not possible to try to "prove" the Bible by means of checking its historical or scientific accuracy. The only "proof" to which it can be subjected is this: Does it correctly portray the God-human relationship? In the best analysis, the Bible is a religious book, not an historical document.

June 5, 2013 at 9:50 am |
  14. stevethetuna

Atheism has PRIESTS? Funny, I've been one for 45 years and have never heard of a formal building, service or person to go to when I want to reconcile or discuss my philosophy with anyone. However, I WOULD LOVE to volunteer to staff the atheist hot line.

I was not always this way – I used to believe the criminal pedophiles who bilk and shame the Catholic sheep into giving their money and children to their 'fathers' were somehow not making this stuff up as they went along. Pretty soon you see thru the manipulation and duplicity and realize religion is a way to keep people content, ashamed and obedient while ensuring your authority and financial wellbeing are never challenged. And it's all tax free! If we could get rid of the burden of tax exempt status just on church real estate we could probably wipe out of deficit in a few years.

June 4, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

And eliminate the Constiitution as a bonus!

June 6, 2013 at 4:18 pm |
  15. The Hotline is Now Open!

1-800-SMUG-EGO

June 4, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
    • Seyedibar

Some things are worth being smug about.

June 4, 2013 at 7:23 pm |
    • birch please

Yes, because you must have a huge ego to believe you are a tiny spec of insignificant dust on a rock instead of the creator of the universe specifically listening to and loving you.

June 4, 2013 at 7:25 pm |
    • Common Sense Sam

Don't forget that that everything revolves around the Earth because of us (including the sun) and all land, plants and animals are here just to serve and be exploited by us. Oh wait, that's not atheists, that's Christians.

June 4, 2013 at 8:10 pm |
  16. bruno altimino

Just what we need. Another group of closed minded intolerant haters.

June 4, 2013 at 7:20 pm |
    • Troglodytes Entertaining All

The article on Christians and Muslims is elsewhere... This is about atheists, who base our decisions on facts, logic and evidence... Not faith.

June 4, 2013 at 7:22 pm |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

bruno: Yes the theists do come out in drones on these blogs...they have to attempt to defend their imaginary friends.

June 4, 2013 at 7:28 pm |
    • HeavenSent

T.i.tus 1:15

Amen.

June 4, 2013 at 8:13 pm |
    • Pete

"Unto the pure all things [are] pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving [is] nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled."

Yet again in HeavenSent's cherry picking of the bible she proves once again you doesn't understand the true meanings of the scriptures. She has taken this completely out of context because it refers too everyone including Christians and including herself. She probably doesn't get that she is living in sin just like that scripture is discussing because she obeys the laws of man and not her god's law in everything. LMAO!

June 4, 2013 at 8:20 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Proverbs 10:8

The wise in heart will receive commandments: but a prating fool shall fall.

Amen.

June 4, 2013 at 8:26 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Psalm 9:15-17

15 The heathen are sunk down in the pit that they made: in the net which they hid is their own foot taken.
      16 The LORD is known by the judgment which he executeth: the wicked is snared in the work of his own hands. Higgaion. Selah.
      17 The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.  (KJV)

Amen.

June 4, 2013 at 8:30 pm |
    • Pete

LMAO! Yet again HeavenSent once again proves her snippets of text are out of context proving why this poster doesn't not know the bible but she is good at going to her bible study websites and putting something in to try and make seem like she does. LOL! What a joke and an idiot you are HS, you are such a fool.

Now quick girl go google fool and the bible to post another scripture out of context. LMAO!

June 4, 2013 at 8:35 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Pete, why the hostility? Why are you stalking me? Answering with Jesus' truth in scriptures, is better than answering with man's vanity. Because you don't care for His truth doesn't mean what I chose for scriptures doesn't fit the discussion. If you want to debate interpretations of scriptures, let me know. For the record, I don't google.

June 6, 2013 at 9:48 pm |
  17. Quasi

Atheists do not worship and act out similar silly rituals. They search for and accept the real truth Science brings to the light of day. Facts and empirical data and truth are paramount! Properly educating humans to absolute truth, and teaching our kind to disregard religious fantasy and mythologies are most important. Logic and reasoning need to be taught in schools once more, but then the religious fanatics are against that, because it will bring down their house of cards, which is build on a sand base.

June 4, 2013 at 7:20 pm |
    • hu?

Can only atheists do these things?

June 4, 2013 at 7:23 pm |
    • Carl

"hu?":

On one specific topic, yes... it does seem like only atheists are able to do those things.

June 4, 2013 at 7:47 pm |
    • HeavenSent

1 Timothy 6

Amen.

June 4, 2013 at 8:19 pm |
    • Pete

"1 Timothy 6"

So HeavenSent do you really think the world can do without money now in the way we've created our society. You quote snippets of scriptures yet you're are not willing to look within your own religion. Your religion is full of greed and the love of money.

June 4, 2013 at 8:22 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Pete, Jesus told us His truth about life and the hereafter. Greed is written throughout His truth.

June 6, 2013 at 9:51 pm |

– When you are in need, call on Philippians 4:19

– When you are hated because of your faith, call on John 15

– When you are losing hope, call on 2 Thessalonians

– When you are seeking peace, call on John 14:27

June 4, 2013 at 7:19 pm |
    • Troglodytes Entertaining All

When you are seeking truth, call the group mentioned in the article...

June 4, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
    • stardust

nonsense

June 4, 2013 at 7:22 pm |
    • Seyedibar

Might as well take your morality from a Superman comic if you insist on basing your philosophy in fiction.

June 4, 2013 at 7:24 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

Can you also refer to other works of fiction or is your repertoire of fairy tales limited to the bible?

June 4, 2013 at 7:26 pm |
    • birch please

When you want to be controlled and not think see above ^

June 4, 2013 at 7:26 pm |
    • 2.1B people call on those numbers every single day!

Don't pass up on the opportunity!

June 4, 2013 at 7:38 pm |
    • Common Sense Sam

If you had associated these items with quotes from the plays of Shakespeare, you would have my interest. As it stands it looks like you've joyfully and mindlessly cut-and-pasted your comment from some silly bible web site.

June 4, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
    • Carl

"2.1B people call on those numbers every single day!"

And yet the ones in Africa, India, and many other locations still die from disease and starvation. Time for them to switch service providers?

June 4, 2013 at 7:50 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

@common sense sam. Here ya go sam:

If the man be a bachelor, sir, I can, but if he be a married man, he’s his wife’s head, and I can never cut off a woman’s head.

When thou dost ask me blessing, I'll kneel downAnd ask of thee forgiveness: so we'll live,And pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laughAt gilded butterflies, and hear poor roguesTalk of court news; and we'll talk with them too,Who loses and who wins; who's in, who's out;And take upon's the mystery of things,As if we were God's spies.
      A creature unprepared, unmeet for death;
      And to transport him in the mind he is
      Were damnable.
      That thou may’st shake the superflux to them
      And show the heavens more just.
      “ So distribution should undo excess,
      And each man have enough.

—But in these cases

We still have judgment here; that we but teach

Bloody instructions, which, being taught, return

To plague the inventor: this even-handed Justice

Commends th’ingredience of our poison’d chalice

To our own lips (1.7.8–12)

Thou seest the heavens, as troubled with man’s act,

Threatens his bloody stage: by th’clock this day,

And yet dark night strangles the travelling lamp.

Is’t night’s predominance, or the day’s shame,

That darkness does the face of earth entomb,

When living light should kiss it? (2.5.5–9)

that Shakespeare was a Catholic is a thing that every Catholic feels by every sort of convergent common sense to be true. It is supported by the few external and political facts we know; it is utterly unmistakable in the general spirit and atmosphere; and in nothing more than in the skepticism, which appears in some aspects to be paganism.

June 6, 2013 at 4:38 pm |
  19. ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

It is a crime to be black skinned by hinduism racism, founded on hindu criminal atheism, criminal self center ism.

June 4, 2013 at 7:18 pm |
    • NESTLE FOUNDATION OF OVALT INE

Islam bot's brain hurts from trying to find Hindu's in the U.S. to argue with – lol.

June 4, 2013 at 7:25 pm |
  20. Atheist, Inc.

Uh, yea, like we are going to have a hotline. Or something.

Some day. We don't know the number yet.

Dar.