home
RSS
June 5th, 2013

A plea from an exhausted Muslim woman

Opinion by Melody Moezzi, Special to CNN

(CNN) - I wasn’t surprised by former British Prime Minister Tony Blair's recent statement about a “problem within Islam.”

It's not as though I've never heard anything like it before. I hear it all the time.

Still, his words - in response to a recent attack in London that left a British soldier dead - made me wonder: How might the public have reacted in a different context, had Blair replaced the word “Islam” with “Christianity” or “Judaism”?

I’m guessing not well.

But Muslims are used to having their faith openly denigrated by public officials.

We’re used to people failing to distinguish between “Islam” and “a few Muslims.” And we’re used to being called terrorists despite the fact that the vast majority of terrorist acts on American and European soil have been carried out by non-Muslims.

But being accustomed to abuse doesn’t mean we bruise less. If anything, being beaten repeatedly in the same spot makes each successive blow all the more painful.

I’ve written many reasoned commentaries in defense of Islam, Muslims and Muslim women in particular. This isn’t one.

Today, I’m going to do something different. I’m not going to cite relevant verses from the Quran. I’m not going to quote scholars. I’m not going on the defensive.

Today, I’m tired. So tired that I’m going to do something I’ve never done before. Not because I seek pity or sympathy, but because I think people should understand. Because maybe if they really understood, they’d stop.

Today, I’m going to tell you what it feels like to live with hate and hostility directed at you on a daily basis.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to turn on the news and hear people repeatedly call your faith hateful and violent.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to be vilified any time a man named Mohammed commits a crime.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to wait at a subway station next to an advertisement calling you a barbarian.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to find a death threat in your inbox.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to know that the police are infiltrating your places of worship, finding nothing and still targeting you.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to be told that you can’t be a feminist and that so many of your gentlest brothers are misogynists, criminals or worse.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to see your people being slaughtered in the hundreds of thousands by state-sponsored terrorists, only to be called terrorists themselves for the crimes of a handful among them.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to have your own people call you a heretic when you’re fighting to defend their rights, while others call you a heretic for doing so.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to be told to go back to your country when you’re in your country.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to be asked if you walk 10 spaces behind your husband or if he beats you or if he has other wives.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to have people assume you hate them when you don’t.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to be expected to know why a stranger committed a crime because he claims to share your religion.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to be required to apologize for something you didn’t do.

I’m going to tell you what it feels like to be told that you don’t belong when you know there’s no place you belong more.

It hurts.

Editor's note: Melody Moezzi is a writer, activist, attorney and award-winning author. Her book, "Haldol and Hyacinths: A Bipolar Life," will be published in August.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Melody Moezzi.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Islam • Opinion • Politics

1. LIGHT

The Arabic language is the language which the Christ will speaks in upon his coming back

June 21, 2013 at 3:32 pm |
  2. LIGHT

By the way........ what is language which the Christ will speak in upon coming back?

Answer this if you can............sure you can not.

June 21, 2013 at 2:57 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

Kryptonian?

June 21, 2013 at 3:05 pm |
  3. LIGHT

Do you know why the west accepted Turkey( the Muslim country ) in NATO?

If Turkey is attacked by US or Europe for example is the west will fight each other? it is strange,isnt it?

Prophet Mohamed informed us that Muslims will attack Turkey by the end of time especially (ISTAMPUL).

The antichrist is there in Istampul planning for the leadership of Muslim countries,so that is why he put turkey in the membership of NATO to be ready for that attack.

Turkey and ISTAMPUL is the base of the antichrist operations now.

June 21, 2013 at 2:14 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

I'll take my advice on fictional characters from people who can spell.

June 21, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

And here all along I thot we got turkey for Thanksgiving.
      Well, live and learn, I guess.

July 21, 2013 at 2:42 am |
  4. Science

Hey Dot .............the crickets !

Hey dot.............you know the gang/list !

Captain Dazzlecat Q. Charmwhistle

June 16, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply

Science

Hey dot

MESSENGER False Color Mercury Globe Spin

June 21, 2013 at 1:21 pm |
  5. Andrew

stand back and take a look at the big picture, The Muslim religion ( if that's what u want to call it) dictates that any one who is not a believer should die, and that if anyone shows a likeness of "Allah" should die, just for starters, females should not attend school, hide their faces, and basically be treated as property,ect... All this and every time you turn around its the Muslims that are bombing, killing, maiming and creating unrest all around the world. With all this, we never hear of the Muslim community standing up and demanding that their own people put a stop to the madness. On the other hand, we all hear the Muslim community complaining about every little thing "they" feel is not tilted in their direction And still she complains that "we don't know ....". Surely she can figure out why people feel the way they do. Don't complain to us, complain to your own people. If that's her picture at the top of this article and she really holds faith in this religion then man, what a waste of skin!
    NOT ALL MUSLIMS ARE TERRORISTS, BUT ALMOST ALL TERRORISTS ARE MUSLIM

June 21, 2013 at 10:24 am |
    • Salah Salem

That's possible if your background is based on the Media that is controlled by poeple like you.

June 21, 2013 at 10:49 am |
  6. children of Israel

There are many antichrists. Are you a child of an immigrant? Nay, but a child of light, children of the Most High the descendants of Jacob and Joseph. Christ is the Star of Jacob, from the tribe of Juda *Genesis 37:26

June 21, 2013 at 3:24 am |
  7. children of Israel

There are many antichrists. America, brainwashed the religious folks into fighting their battles against the most high God. Terrorists wear suits and ties also, along with these demonic scarf lying purple people eaters.

June 21, 2013 at 3:09 am |
  8. LIGHT

Do you know why the US forces are there in the Middle east region?

Do you know why they are talking too much about the NEW Middle east?

Do you know why events are running very fast in the Middle east area?

Because the Christ will come back again in the Middle east area ( where he born) and where the final battle will take place.

So the antichrist is preparing the stage for that by sending his forces (US forces) to fight Muslims and the Christ (his killer)
    When he comes back.

So in the media all Muslims must be terrorists and must be killers to make it easy to convince peoples to fight them.

The media will show the antichrist as the hero who came to save the mankind.

The antichrist succeeded in making people forget about him.

But he is there planning for the final battle.

June 21, 2013 at 2:31 am |
    • HotAirAce

100% bullshit. . .

June 21, 2013 at 2:34 am |
    • Salah Salem

I wonder mow who is the terrorist? Is that the one who tries to survive the assault of superpower or those who tries to wipe out other nations on the name of Jesus piece be upon him??

June 21, 2013 at 11:12 am |
    • RichardSRussell

Well, Melody Moezzi's right that Muslims don't have a MONOPOLY on craziness, because I've heard all this same BS from Christians as well. But if you wonder why people get nervous around true believers of all sorts, this is a prime example of why. If you believe this sort of insane crapola, what ELSE are you capable of?

July 21, 2013 at 2:46 am |
  9. children of Israel

Religion is a distraction, the Devil's secret weapon of 72 virgins is the demonic seed. Are you lost sheep? (Matthew 15:24) or goats (Matthew 25:33) The kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins with lamps *Proverbs 6:23 For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; (John 14:15)

June 21, 2013 at 2:02 am |
    • RichardSRussell

That deal about the 72 virgins in heaven? One of the suicide bombers came back and reported that it was all true. That was the good news. The bad news was that the other 71 were suicide bombers just like him.

July 21, 2013 at 2:48 am |
  10. SoullessTechnocrat

All monotheistic faiths teach hate as a core belief. You are to hate anyone who does not follow your one god. Convert them by the arm or the sword. Jews, Christians and Muslims all claim Abraham as their ancestor, and are thus guilty of his people's genocides. The Canaanite Death Cult has grown too numerous.

June 21, 2013 at 12:27 am |
    • navyarmy85

Technocrat- learn more before you proclaim your ignorance: the triune God loves each person and desires that none should perish; I don't have to kill you here on earth in order for me to get to heaven. you DO have a soul, and Jesus Christ chose to be sacrificed for your option to choose him or to remain a self-proclaimed soulless.

June 21, 2013 at 12:44 am |
  11. Former theistic satanist

When I was about twelve or so I worshiped satan. Strange but true. At the time there were fears of satanists ending the life of cats for rituals or some such. I can stand before you and tell you I've never harmed a cat in my life or anything else for that matter. I love cats, I own two of them and they are spoiled rotten.

I was a twelve year old kid who really liked loud music and black clothing and scaring people but at no point did my "religion" cause me to commit a crime.

Ask yourselves..when has a judge ever thrown someone in jail because they were the same religion as the person who commited the crime?

June 20, 2013 at 6:09 am |
  12. Science

Hey creationists ....dot......fred and chadie too no horn-y red beast !

New Research Backs Genetic 'Switches' in Human Evolution

June 19, 2013 — A Cornell University study offers further proof that the divergence of humans from chimpanzees some 4 million to 6 million years ago was profoundly influenced by mutations to DNA sequences that play roles in turning genes on and off.

June 19, 2013 at 3:50 pm |
  13. His panic

She maybe suffering from anxiety depression etc. that can lead to Panic. However those who really trust in Jesus God's Son will not Panic. She may also be exhausted by the demands, rulings, legalism and injustices of her own religion. To blame all in others is unbelievable.

June 19, 2013 at 3:49 pm |
  14. Rob Masterson

I like how she started with a counter-factual. Was it two Christians or two Jews that hacked a man to death on the street and then claimed God as their justification? Was it a group of Jews or Christians on 9/11? Is it Jews and Christians doing all the terrorism in the middle east? There is a problem with Islam. I'm sorry the facts are inconvenient for the author but reality doesn't care about her feelings.

June 19, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
    • His panic

Very well stated, well said. Besides that Blair is of roman-catholic religion. They appear to be also in a state of Panic.

June 19, 2013 at 3:52 pm |
    • Salah Salem

It is recommended that you do not lease your mind to the media or to those of the same mind...There are libraries and abundance of books that can lead you to historical facts about Muslims...As long as you stick to current media, you will never learn.

June 21, 2013 at 11:22 am |
  15. kat40915

Does this woman really think Christians and Jews aren't scorned and don't receive ignorant comments and threats? Please. She's no more special than the rest of us. Get in line, sister. Anyone of faith is mocked. Stop feeling sorry for your ignorant self and why don't you work the with 99% of peaceful Mus lims to call out and stop the other 1%.

June 19, 2013 at 12:21 pm |
  16. Yo Bam

I'm from Islamic home.My sis,the way some muslims preach about women is like we are non-living objects. "And for women are rights over men similar to those of men over women." [Noble Quran 2:228] The Prophet is misinterpretated. Think about Christians or a Jews in Arab Countries. Nobody kill in the name of Prophet Musa (ASW) or Prophet Musa (ASW). Hamad (RTA) and other did not commit murder.....

June 18, 2013 at 6:16 pm |
    • Grafted Olive Branch

Dear friends of Islam,

I know that many of you honestly and fervently seek to know God. Myself, as a Christian, ask you to forgive our trespasses against you as we forgive your trespasses against us.

You try so hard to be good and adhere to the peaceful tenants of your religion. But as is human nature, you have likely discovered that the harder you try to be good and righteous, and fail, the more frustrated you become with yourself. How then can we stand before a Holy God in judgment if we are ourselves un-clean?

I was the same way as a Christian, trying so hard to be good and righteous, yet failing miserably due to my own human fallibility and weakness, until I discovered that Jesus Christ is already “righteousness” for me. Jesus’ death on the cross paid the ultimate price for my sins. I am clean by His sacrifice. You can be also. You are offered the olive branch of peace that Jesus Christ alone can provide – forgiveness.

Hear the power of forgiveness from one of your own, Mosab Hassan Yousef, author of the NY Times bestseller Son of Hamas.

June 19, 2013 at 2:15 am |
  17. I AM

You don't hear anybody kill somebody and yell ' I did this for Jesus'...therein lies the problem. Muslims kill for their god and prophet, and claim so.

June 18, 2013 at 4:35 pm |
    • EX catholic

Actually roman-catholics-idolaters have done that. They also do it in the name of Mary or whatever other Idol they can think or imagine.

June 19, 2013 at 3:45 pm |
    • mike

Actually" I am", you do hear about people killing and terrorizing in the name of Jesus. Quite a bit in fact.

June 19, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Read up on Arnaud Amalric and Tomas Torquemada, then come back here and try again.

July 21, 2013 at 2:51 am |
  18. Big Bird

Melody, Try being a Christian or a Jew in a Muslim country!
    Actually ,people do distinguish between Islam and the very small percentage of Muslims who do bad things.
    In the case of the UK, many Muslims have not integrated well into UK society and hate their new home while taking advantage of its benefits. The people that want to kill others in the name of their god and religion happen to be Islamic – what should the police do, not look at the Muslim community or at Mosques? Where do you think the hate and violence comes from?
    I really don't care about what you have to say. Why don't you expend some effort with the remaining 99.99% of your fellow muslims and help clean the few that give you a bad name instead of whining.

June 18, 2013 at 1:38 pm |
  19. Mohammedisapig

I'm tired of Muslims whining about how their terrorist religion is viewed. Melody; try being a Christian, Jew or any other religion or an atheist in a f***king Islamic country, you'll have more than your feelings hurt. Stop being an apologist for an ignorant religion that cannot that produce anything good. I look forward to the day when Islam is on the dung heap of history like other failed, oppressive dehumanizing systems. Leave it to CNN to be a mouthpiece for jihadists. If Muslims have been typecast as terrorists it's because they've played the role so well.

June 17, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
    • Salah Salem

Dear Mohammadispaig...Your statment smells hatered...Do you mind if you be more civilized in your approach?

June 21, 2013 at 11:06 am |
  20. faith

i lov jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeebbbbbbbbbbbbbbuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuusssssssssss

thamie