home
RSS
June 6th, 2013

With his speech, valedictorian brings God to graduation

By Jessica Ravitz, CNN
[twitter-follow screen_name='JRavitzCNN']

(CNN) - Leading up to Saturday’s ceremony, Roy Costner IV prayed on what he was going to do. Liberty High School’s 2013 valedictorian would soon find himself in front of a microphone. He’d have a pulpit from which he could address his small community tucked away in South Carolina’s mountainous corner.

Only his father and pastor knew what was weighing on his heart and mind. Could he, should he, insert a prayer in his pre-approved graduation speech? He’d been told by the school principal that talk of religion wasn’t allowed, and so far he’d followed the rules.

But as the day approached, the 18-year-old couldn’t deny what he felt he needed to do.

“I wanted to stand up for God,” he explained Wednesday. “This is what God wanted me to do.”

So Costner, in cap and gown, stood behind the podium and ripped up his original speech. Before he gave shout-outs to coaches, cheerleaders and friends, there was something else he wanted to say.

“One thing I am certain of is we’re all a sum of our experiences, both good and bad,” he told his fellow graduates, a class of about 150. “All in all, those experiences, the people who mentored us, that we look up to, they have helped carve and mold us into the young adults that we are today. I’m so thankful that both of my parents led me to the Lord at a young age. And I think most of you will understand when I say, ‘Our father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name …”

The crowd before him began to cheer as he recited the Lord’s Prayer, drowning out a few verses. The school principal, sitting behind him, appeared uncomfortable and peered down at papers on her lap. The school district’s superintendent, a few seats over, couldn’t help but smile.

“I was tearing up,” Costner said, remembering the moment. “I was overwhelmed by the response. … The clapping was so loud I couldn’t hear myself talking into the microphone.”

His father told CNN's Piers Morgan on Thursday night he was overwhelmed with pride for his son. The younger Costner approached his dad a few days before the speech and showed him what he wanted to do.

"I said, 'Look, if you're doing this for political reasons, don't. But if you're doing it because you feel led to do it and you feel this is a part of your speech, then I want you to do it and I'll stand by you,' " Roy Costner III said.

Some who were there heaped on praise when talking to CNN affiliate WYFF. One called it “pretty impressive.” Another student said it “took a lot of courage” and that “people were proud that he stood up for what he believed in.”

What he believes is that Liberty, a town with three stoplights and a population of 3,000, “fully supports prayer.”

He also believes that organizations such as the Freedom From Religion Foundation, a Madison, Wisconsin, group dedicated to maintaining separation of church and state, should stop meddling in the affairs of the Pickens County School District. The foundation, over this past school year, has leaned on the district to keep Jesus and student-led prayers out of school board meetings.

Other concerns went beyond board meetings. This spring, the foundation’s staff attorney sent a lawyer representing the district a letter about complaints of alleged discriminatory hiring and religious promotion in another county high school and praise music being played in an elementary school classroom. The foundation said it learned of such practices by way of community members who are, in fact, not fully supporting prayer.

Costner said he set out to make a statement, one he hopes will inspire others to stand up, too, for what he sees as the good of this country.

“Taking prayer out of schools is the worst thing we could do,” he said.

If Costner went to a Christian school, there would be no discussion, said Annie Laurie Gaylor, co-president of the Freedom From Religion Foundation. But in public schools, even in a place where there may be a religious majority, prayers such as his are clearly unconstitutional, she said. What’s more, she added, what he did shows contempt for school district policy and a lack of sensitivity for his audience.

“It’s aggressive. It’s supremely rude,” she said. “This student is old enough to know that not everyone in the audience is Christian.”

But Costner, who was bouncing between interviews and heading to New York for TV appearances, said he counts atheists among his friends. He said that even though he doesn’t agree with their beliefs, he respects them – and that they do the same for him.

The elder Costner said his son had been inundated with messages of support, even from atheists.

He said he thinks the video of the speech resonated with people across the country because many people "really want something to hold onto for hope."

The son said he’s experienced no blowback from the district for what he did. And a district spokesman suggested Costner won’t.

“He’s a graduate now, so there’s nothing we can do about it even if we wanted to,” John Eby told WYFF. “But the bottom line is we’re not going to punish students for expressing their religious faiths.”

The district, Eby explained to CNN Friday morning, is in a “nearly impossible position.” He said federal law, under the Establishment Clause, is clear that public schools cannot “approve in advance a student’s prayer” or “carve out time specifically for religious expression.” But, under the Free Exercise Clause, he added, “we can’t punish students who do pray.”

“It’s one thing if a school doesn’t have a policy,” she said. “But when they do, they really need to enforce their policy because otherwise it’s just a wink and a nod.”

Eby has an answer to this.

“I do want to reiterate that we don’t approve rule breaking,” he said. “But we are very serious about protecting our students’ rights to express themselves religiously – or refuse to.”

- CNN Writer/Producer

Filed under: Belief • Christianity

soundoff (5,383 Responses)
  1. sam stone

lil fatty sambo, will u marry me, my love bear?
    please? please? i can't make it w/o u. u r such a joyous bright light from heaven. oooooooooooooo thambo, please! please b mine. u make me so happy

June 13, 2013 at 9:46 am |
    • sam stone

really, filth? taking my screen name?

how is that lawsuit going?

find any lawyers to take it?

cvnt.....blow your head off and go meet jeebus

June 13, 2013 at 10:15 am |
  2. sam stone

lil fatty sambo, will u marry me, my love bear?

June 13, 2013 at 9:43 am |
  3. Science

He just graduated ..............does not say much for the school he attended maybe ?

High Diversity of Flying Reptiles in England 110 Million Years Ago

June 12, 2013 — Brazilian paleontologists Taissa Rodrigues, of the Federal University of Espirito Santo, and Alexander W. A. Kellner, of the National Museum of the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, have just presented the most extensive review yet available of toothed pterosaurs from the Cretaceous of England. The study features detailed taxonomic information, diagnoses and photographs of 30 species and was published in the open access journal ZooKeys.

June 13, 2013 at 6:36 am |
    • All Ears

Oh do tell!

What schools have you gone to?

June 13, 2013 at 11:23 am |
    • Science

Enough to know...........and operate a helicopter . (fly it )

June 13, 2013 at 11:52 am |
    • All Ears

So this is YOU:

June 13, 2013 at 12:17 pm |
    • Science

To funny my nick name in the service was called tree chopper Mac.

Also add a big back hoe to the fray.

June 13, 2013 at 12:23 pm |

🙂

But seriously, what was that guy thinking????

June 13, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
    • Science

Hey AE how is trolling working on the other thread ?

I remember trolling (noe) in a helicopter.

June 13, 2013 at 1:43 pm |

I'm discussing...

...when someone says to the effect "It must be so hard to be a Christian with what we know about science" I will defend the truth.

Science is the study of God's creation. Galileo Galilei seemed to know this.

June 13, 2013 at 3:29 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

What pathetic and disgusting tripe! Science is NOT the study of "god's creation;" it's the study of the physical world. If there are any gods involved, science hasn't found any evidence of any of them. If you want science to be "about" something, then that thing, by definition, must be measurable and testable.

God is invisible and undetectable; there are no measurements or tests to make because of his undetectability. The case isn't "closed" because there never was a case. God is irrelevant because he is so invisible.

June 13, 2013 at 3:37 pm |
    • AE

I think it would be foolish to listen to some angry and resentful poster on the CNN Belief Blog about God.

Especially when there are so many brilliant and amazing minds that put that poster's OPINION to shame!

“Mathematics is the language with which God has written the universe.”

― Galileo Galilei

June 13, 2013 at 3:53 pm |
    • AE

“The more I study science, the more I believe in God.”

― Albert Einstein

June 13, 2013 at 3:54 pm |
    • AE

“There are good reasons to believe in God, including the existence of mathematical principles and order in creation. They are positive reasons, based on knowledge, rather than default assumptions based on a temporary lack of knowledge.”

― Francis Collins (Geneticist)

June 13, 2013 at 3:55 pm |
    • AE

“Although I know of no reference to Christ ever commenting on scientific work, I do know that He said, “Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” Thus I am certain that, were He among us today, Christ would encourage scientific research as modern man’s most noble striving to comprehend and admire His Father’s handiwork. The universe as revealed through scientific inquiry is the living witness that God has indeed been at work.”

― Werner von Braun (the father of space science and the most important rocket scientist involved in the development of the U.S. space program.)

June 13, 2013 at 3:55 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

I don't care what Galilleo had to say about god, he lived in a time period when it was to be expected.

But AH, you should really feel a lot of horrible shame for the Einstein quotation. You know full well that Einstein was not talking about any sort of personal god at all but more of an underlying mechanism like Spinoza espoused. Don't be such a fvcktard, please.

June 13, 2013 at 3:57 pm |
    • AE

–Walter Kohn won the 1998 Nobel Prize in Chemistry.

– To the question, “What do you think should be the relationship between science and religion?”

Walter Kohn replied: “Mutual respect. They are complementary important parts of the human experience.”

– And to the inquiry, “What do you think about the existence of God?”

Walter Kohn gave the following answer: “There are essential parts of the human experience about which science intrinsically has nothing to say. I associate them with an ent.ty which I call God.”

June 13, 2013 at 3:58 pm |
    • AE

“I build molecules for a living. I can’t begin to tell you how difficult that job is. I stand in awe of God because of what he has done through his creation. My faith has been increased through my research. Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.”

–James Tour, one of the world’s leading nanoscientists

James Tour basically just said people like you know nothing about science.

Do you have a degree in science? Or any interesting writings I could read?

Or do you just get angry and try to make people feel bad by calling them obscene names?

June 13, 2013 at 4:00 pm |
    • AE

“If we need an atheist for a debate, we go to the philosophy department. The physics department isn’t much use.”

–Robert Griffiths, winner of the Heinemann Prize in mathematical physics.

June 13, 2013 at 4:02 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

Thanks, AE, that's more like it. Exactly. Science and religion and god are poles apart. Science can't say anything about god because there's nothing to measure, so science leaves it up to whatever people want to believe in, be it invisible fairies or unicorns or big invisible sky-daddy wizards who do sh!t by repeating magic spells.

June 13, 2013 at 4:02 pm |

LOL!!!

You'd think from those quotations that some scientist or other somewhere sometime somehow had proved god's existence and that god wasn't completely invisible and undetectable.

God is as irrelevant as anything else that can't be proved to exist. Scientists agree, or they'd be utilizing him and his power in their daily work instead of relegating him to the same category as the tooth fairy and santa claus-–completely unprovable.

June 13, 2013 at 4:06 pm |
    • AE

“In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views.”

–Albert Einstein

June 13, 2013 at 4:06 pm |
    • AE

To the question, “Many prominent scientists – including Darwin, Einstein, and Planck – have considered the concept of God very seriously. What are your thoughts on the concept of God and on the existence of God?”

Christian Anfinsen replied: “I think only an idiot can be an atheist. We must admit that there exists an incomprehensible power or force with limitless foresight and knowledge that started the whole universe going in the first place.”

–Christian Anfinsen, winner of the 1972 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for his work on ribonuclease.

June 13, 2013 at 4:08 pm |

The bible is BS.

Destiny & DNA......................World Science Festival

June 13, 2013 at 4:08 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

I'm not angry. I'm quite delighted. If god weren't invisible and undetectable, we'd have something to discuss other than what you think other mean when they offer an OPINION on something that can't be detected or measured IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER.

When you or any other person (scientist or not) finds a way to prove god's existence as anything other than imaginary myth, let me know.

Why no proof? Why do a Muslim terrorist and a Christian abortion-clinic-bomber use the exact same math and chemistry but have such different views about what god wants?

June 13, 2013 at 4:10 pm |
    • AE

Just because you can't detect or see God, doesn't mean others can't.

Some great and brilliant scientific minds obviously do.

June 13, 2013 at 4:11 pm |

Others say what AE

Biblical Marriage Not Defined Simply As One Man, One Woman: Iowa Religious Scholars' Op-Ed

June 13, 2013 at 4:11 pm |
    • AE

“Let me say that I don’t see any conflict between science and religion. I go to church as many other scientists do. I share with most religious people a sense of mystery and wonder at the universe and I want to participate in religious ritual and practices because they’re something that all humans can share.”

–Sir Martin Rees, the British cosmologist and astrophysicist who has been Astronomer Royal since 1995 and was the president of the Royal Society between 2005 and 2010. Rees is the winner of the Crafoord Prize (which is the most prestigious award in astronomy), amongst many other awards.

June 13, 2013 at 4:11 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

I agree with the "incomprehensible force" bit, but to call it "god" or to claim it has some intellect like a god or like something we would call god is stupid.

Why no proof?

June 13, 2013 at 4:12 pm |

@ Science

I go to a church that welcomes all people. They support and allow same-s.x marriages.

June 13, 2013 at 4:13 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

Why won't scientists who believe in some form of god or other prove he exists? Why doesn't science demonstrate god's existence and principles the way it does math and chemistry? Why do scientists disagree on what god is and what he wants? Why do most believing scientists disagree that god is personal or resembles what most nonscientists believe god is? Why doesn't science explain what god really is? Why can't scientists give more information about god than just their own opinions about him probably existing?

What's up, science?

June 13, 2013 at 4:15 pm |
    • AE

I guess God isn't ready to reveal himself to you.

I have my proof.

I know many people who are not stupid that have proof.

“The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you.”

–Werner Heisenberg, who was awarded the 1932 Nobel Prize in Physics for the creation of quantum mechanics

Have you won a Nobel Prize? Or do just stupid people win those?

June 13, 2013 at 4:15 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

Science isn't about what you think, it's about what you can demonstrate.

Scientists think all sorts of things, but the ideas that they can demonstrate move into the realm of fact and practicality. We USE scientific discoveries for GPS and medical technology and computers. We don't use any scientists opinions on what sort of god they like to fantasize might exist.

If any scientist could demonstrate one thing about god she would get the Nobel for such a demonstration. Why no Nobel prizes for word in "god?"

June 13, 2013 at 4:18 pm |
    • AE

It sounds like you want a god you can manipulate and control.

June 13, 2013 at 4:19 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

Science doesn't require belief or faith because it can prove what it claims. Science works whether or not you believe in it. If science were to formulate demonstrable facts about god, there'd be only one religion because it would WORK.

June 13, 2013 at 4:21 pm |

Hey AE

19,300,000 results...........the little blue box.........cool science........... urls

Penn & Teller; The Bible is Bullsh-it.

June 13, 2013 at 4:21 pm |
    • AE

“I believe that the more thoroughly science is studied, the further does it take us from anything comparable to atheism.”

“If you study science deep enough and long enough, it will force you to believe in God.”

–Lord William Kelvin, who was noted for his theoretical work on thermodynamics, the concept of absolute zero and the Kelvin temperature scale based upon it.

I'll trust his understanding of science better.

At least he is actually a scientist.

Listening to you talk about what science is is like listening to a man tell a mother of 3 biological children what being pregnant is like.

June 13, 2013 at 4:23 pm |
    • AE

Hey! Maybe you should take Lord William Kelvin's advice.

If you really want to know God maybe you should study science.

You know ACTUALLY study science, not just post on religious message boards about science!

June 13, 2013 at 4:25 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

Nope. A god who is merely believed by faith can be manipulated and controlled by the psyche of the believer to want the things the believer wants and to feel the way the believer feels.

Demonstrability is the key for me. If there's nothing to measure, there's nothing to discuss. Anybody can theorize, but science has to use experiment to PROVE what it claims-–and we get x-ray machines and vaccines and electricity.

God is undetectable and therefore, irrelevant. If god was detectable, scientists would be using that "force" or "field" in their calculations and their experiments. Science gets along so good without god that each scientist can have a different idea or belief about who god is and what he wants and it won't cause a problem with a single experiement or practical application of the work of those same scientists.

June 13, 2013 at 4:25 pm |
    • Science

AE................memory................no bad memory just an untrained one.

updated Mon May 13, 2013

A Nobel Prize with help from sea slugs
      Neuroscientists love Aplysia. They are a type of sea slug that grows to be about a foot long. With only 20,000 nerve cells - compared with about 100 billion found in the human brain - Aplysia are the perfect lab animals for brain researchers hoping to isolate a crucial connection.

June 13, 2013 at 4:27 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

Hey, maybe if you understood what science does (describe the physical world), you'd not be claiming something so retarded. Science deals with what can be measured. God is invisible and undetectable and so can't be measured.

Why hasn't a single scientist proved god or gotten any accolades for "working with" god and/or proving his existence? He really is that invisible, isn't he?

June 13, 2013 at 4:30 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

AE, why are you so ignorant about science?

June 13, 2013 at 4:32 pm |
    • Science

Hey AE there is always that 1-800# you can call for help !

June 13, 2013 at 4:38 pm |
    • AE

But there are people that are PROVEN to be a lot smarter than you that don't believe that God is irrelevant.

Just because you think God is irrelevant doesn't mean others do or should.

Or that they are stupid or fvcktards for believing and trusting in God.

I used to think like you.

And then I met some Christians that were awesome. They didn't call others stupid or fvcktards.

And they actually knew about science.

More than you seem to know.

So I am going to trust them. I believe the are sound-minded, kind hearted and intelligent.

And there is more to life than natural laws. Even most scientists know this.

Can you can post some personal website or information that demonstrates you actually know anything about science?

I don't care about your philosophy of what you happen to think science is and what you happen to think what God isn't.

June 13, 2013 at 4:39 pm |
    • AE

–Robert Griffiths, winner of the Heinemann Prize in mathematical physics.

What a great point!

June 13, 2013 at 4:40 pm |
    • The real Tom

"They were awesome." You sound like you're about 15.

What did they "know" about science? What makes you think they know more than the scientists who are posting here, whom you haven't met?

June 13, 2013 at 4:44 pm |
    • Science

Martian Clay Contains Chemical Implicated in the Origin of Life,...............read article.............chondrites...........will shake

a bible thumpers faith................I personally carry a couple every where I go just in case I run into a bible thumper.

In fact one came to the door yesterday took 2 minutes and he was walking away shacking his head..

June 13, 2013 at 4:46 pm |
    • The real Tom

Posting quotes, AE, shows you to be guilty of the fallacy of the appeal to authority. You seem to think that if some famous scientist said something about belief and god that it must be fact. That's not the case. These are nothing more than opinions, and there are just as many scientists, if not more, who don't believe in a god.

June 13, 2013 at 4:47 pm |

@ The real Tom

–What did they "know" about science? -

They "knew" enough about science to be employed as a doctor, chemistry teacher and biologist; for example.

–What makes you think they know more than the scientists who are posting here, whom you haven't met?–

Is Science or Cpt. Obvious a scientist?

Science keeps posting links to science websites like it is some kind of kryptonite to those who believe in God. But people who believe in God have contributed more to science than him. What do you call that?

June 13, 2013 at 4:51 pm |
    • The real Tom

What do you know about the poster Science? Or any other poster, AE? What is your profession? Are you a scientist? How will we know if you are or aren't, regardless of your response? It's a blog, and you have no idea whom you're addressing or what his/her profession and educational background is.

And just because you know some scientists who are believers doesn't mean they know more than scientists who aren't believers. There are millions of scientists you've never met and they are very likely just as qualified and well educated as your "awesome" friends.

June 13, 2013 at 4:58 pm |

Facts work !

AE

We may be the center of God's attention. From God's perspective human beings and Earth may be the center of the universe.

And then there is the size theory...

We’re a lot smaller than galaxies and the universe.

We’re a lot bigger than the really small size scale of atoms and the interiors of atoms.

Perhaps we are right in the center of universal size?

June 13, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |

June 13, 2013 at 5:00 pm |

@ The real Tom
      –These are nothing more than opinions, and there are just as many scientists, if not more, who don't believe in a god.–

Cpt. Obvious is searching for God.

I'm trying to help him. He is focused on the material things of the world, and seems to have closed his eyes to the spiritual aspect.

If he sees that there are actual scientists out there that actually believe in God and know a lot more about science than him, he may be willing to open his mind and look for God in other areas.

God speaks to our hearts, and not just the mind.

- Posting quotes, AE, shows you to be guilty of the fallacy of the appeal to authority. -

I'm foolish! At least I don't take the word of some resentful poster named "Cpt Obvious" who acts like an authority on science and God, yet has not said anything insightful or helpful.

June 13, 2013 at 5:01 pm |
    • Observer

AE,

The Bible NEVER presented one new scientific fact. Instead of Jesus talking about germs and washing your hands to save millions of lives, NOTHING.

Instead we got the science fiction story of Noah's Ark.

June 13, 2013 at 5:04 pm |

@ The real Tom

–What do you know about the poster Science? -

His posts are very confusing. Nobody seems to understand what his points are.

He uses "....." way too much.

June 13, 2013 at 5:05 pm |

–What do you know about the poster Science? –

And I hate to break it to you and (quite possibly) him – he is not a scientist.

He just posts about science on a religion blog.

June 13, 2013 at 5:06 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

Obvious says:

"If YOU want to claim that the physical world is EQUAL to "god" then that's your belief, but it's not science's.

Why hasn't a single scientist proved god or gotten any accolades for "working with" god and/or proving his existence? "

Then demands physical proof for God? That might be philosophical but it doesn't seem like a very scientific question.

June 13, 2013 at 5:07 pm |
    • The real Tom

I didn't say you were foolish, although you certainly aren't very bright if you think that posting the quotes of famous scientists will convince anyone that god exists. I don't see anything that indicates Capt. Obvious is "searching for god." Where did you get that idea? He challenged you on your claim that god exists and asked for evidence. Do you have any? Where is it?

You don't like it when someone doesn't just keel over and tell you how "awesome" you are for posting quotes instead of actual facts. Too bad.

Our hearts don't have any ability to "listen" to anything. You have yet to show that there is a spiritual aspect to life at all and you're mad because Capt. Obvious just won't believe what you claim is true.

Again, too bad. You have no idea what Capt. Obvious's background is, but from reading his posts and comparing them to yours, I'm willing to bet that he's far better educated and more knowledgeable about science than you are. You've posted no facts, just quotes and opinions.

June 13, 2013 at 5:08 pm |
    • Observer

Bill Deacon,

Why hasn't ANY Christian offered proof that all the laws of science are OPTIONAL anywhere other than in the Bible?

June 13, 2013 at 5:09 pm |
    • The real Tom

If you don't want people to challenge you to provide proof or evidence then don't claim you have any. Don't claim you know what you don't. You believe. You don't know.

June 13, 2013 at 5:10 pm |
    • The real Tom

You find Capt. Obvious's posts confusing? Maybe that says more about you than it does about him, AE. I don't find them confusing at all. I find yours to be simplistic and whiny, however.

June 13, 2013 at 5:12 pm |
    • The real Tom

AE: "His posts are very confusing. Nobody seems to understand what his points are."

"Nobody"? Since when do you speak for everyone else here? I understand what he writes.

AE: "He uses "....." way too much." He uses quotation marks correctly and far fewer of them than you have.

AE: "Most people completely ignore him because he is never relevant and always a bit off topic."

He's "never relevant"? "Never" is a very long time. How long have you been posting here and how do you know whether "most people ignore him"?

What has he posted that is "off topic", as if topicality is so all-important on this site?

June 13, 2013 at 5:16 pm |

@ The real Tom

- I didn't say you were foolish, although you certainly aren't very bright if you think that posting the quotes of famous scientists will convince anyone that god exists. -

At least you didn't call me a fvctard. But I see you don't have any problem with him calling me that... but what if it was the other way around??

I'm not trying to prove God exists.

I'm proving that there are great scientific minds believe in God.

Cpt. Obvious seems to think those people are stupid.

- I don't see anything that indicates Capt. Obvious is "searching for god." Where did you get that idea? He challenged you on your claim that god exists and asked for evidence. Do you have any? Where is it? -

Why is he on the message board all the time? Why is he always asking for and demanding proof. Just like you did.

"Do you have any? Where is it? –"

That is you searching for God. Get it?

I have all the proof in the world of God's existence.

I can't prove it for you, that is between you and God.

If you want real proof: Get on your knees (or humble yourself somehow) and ask for God to reveal Himself in His way.

Not your way. Don't demand He show himself to you like a science experiment.

God is much more than that.

June 13, 2013 at 5:17 pm |

@ Tom
      –What do you know about the poster Science? –

I was answering about Science, not Cpt Obvious.

Please re-read.

June 13, 2013 at 5:20 pm |
    • Observer

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." –Isaac Asimov.

June 13, 2013 at 5:22 pm |

I know God is real.

You believe some things about science that you've read on the internet.

June 13, 2013 at 5:22 pm |
    • Observer

AE

I don't believe in unicorns, talking animals and that the earth went from spinning 1,000 miles per hour to ZERO for a day. Nor do I support slavery and all the discrimination in the Bible.

June 13, 2013 at 5:25 pm |
    • AE

Just because something is in the Bible does not mean God supports it.

The book paints an honest picture of human beings and their condition.

You probably actually do support slavery. You just don't know it.

Take the test:

June 13, 2013 at 5:28 pm |
    • Science

Hey AE..............just the dirt guys ............stones ?

June 12, 2013 — To World War II soldiers, "The White Cliffs of Dover" was a morale-boosting song that lifted spirits in dark times. To geographers,

June 13, 2013 at 5:37 pm |
    • The real Tom

AE, you claimed you had proof. You do not. Don't claim it if you don't have it. Otherwise, you'll be called on it.

You don't get to decide whether Obvious, Science, or I have valid reasons for posting here. If you don't like it, leave. I don't have any problem with Obvious calling you a name, because you earned it.

June 13, 2013 at 5:40 pm |
    • AE

- Why are YOU here if you already have your belief and you're not searching for god? -

I like sharing about God.

Ironically, internet atheists like to talk about God more than anyone else.

June 13, 2013 at 5:44 pm |
    • AE

It is not up to me to prove to you that God exists. I can't summon Him to satisfy your desires or demands.

That is between you and God.

I'm free to share about God.

And I can be honest and say I believe in God.

If I said otherwise I'd be lying.

June 13, 2013 at 5:46 pm |

AE
      I guess God isn't ready to reveal himself to you.

AE "I have my proof." Didn't you just say that claiming you have anything other than a belief is lying?

AE "I know many people who are not stupid that have proof." Then they're lying, too.

AE:"Have you won a Nobel Prize? " Have you?

June 13, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
    • The real Tom

AE: "Just because you can't detect or see God, doesn't mean others can't."

Some great and brilliant scientific minds obviously do."

No, they don't. If they claimed to be able to detect god, they'd have to show evidence for it. They can't, so they don't claim to be able to detect god. They acknowledge that they believe. So what? That doesn't mean god exists. There are just as many or more scientists who don't believe in a god.

Stop claiming you have proof when you don't. It's dishonest.

June 13, 2013 at 5:57 pm |
    • The real Tom

AE: It's not up to me to prove to you god exists.

Then stop claiming that you and others can "detect" him.

AE: "I'm free to share about god." And others are free to share that they don't think there's evidence for one. If you don't like it when they do that, go to another forum where only believers are permitted to post.

June 13, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
    • AE

I have proof of God's existence.

Therefore I believe in God.

If I didn't have proof, I wouldn't believe.

Honest.

I know lots of people that have proof, too. Smart and intelligent people, like some of the well known scientists I posted about.

Just because *you* don't believe or see the evidence doesn't make it any less real to me.

You are not God. You don't get to decide for me what evidence is proper and improper based on your extremely limited idea about how this universe operates.

All you can do is decide for yourself.

June 13, 2013 at 6:08 pm |

- Then stop claiming that you and others can "detect" him. -

Some of us call that prayer and meditation.

It works for me.

June 13, 2013 at 6:12 pm |
    • Observer

AE,

The Bible supports slavery and discrimination against women and handicapped people and gays.

At least it is consistent.

Read it sometime.

June 13, 2013 at 6:12 pm |

@ Observer

I know plenty of women, handicapped people and gays that disagree with you.

It does not support it.

June 13, 2013 at 6:15 pm |
    • HarryGP

Tom, I just had a phone conversation with someone, I can't prove it though. And I can't force them to prove they exist to you. I have not met the person I talked with on the phone, but I believe that person exists. I detected their existence while talking with the person but I only have the memory of their talking as proof they exist. The person on the phone was intelligent, knew english, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say, I have proof that the person exists... but no proof I can give you.

The same can be, and has been said for God over history by many people.

June 13, 2013 at 6:17 pm |
    • Observer

AE,

"The Bible DESCRIBES slavery and discrimination against women and handicapped people and gays. It does not support it"

Obviously, you haven't read much of the Bible. It gives rules on how BADLY you can hurt your slave without punishment, It says that God doesn't want handicapped or disfigured people in his churches. He especially doesn't want men there who have crushed testicles..

June 13, 2013 at 6:20 pm |
    • Science

To damn funny have not seen harry for awhile.

June 13, 2013 at 6:21 pm |
    • HarryGP

I saw them talking about you science, above, and was going to say something. I know you like chondrites to be in the limelight, and they are, sometimes. But they do not outshine God, he is the best, and his light shines forever.... much better than chondrites... and more attractive too.

June 13, 2013 at 6:31 pm |
    • Science

Between the your ears only harry.

June 13, 2013 at 6:36 pm |

Oops the is in error.

June 13, 2013 at 6:43 pm |

Earth’s timeline

Trace our planet's geological and biological ages............better than the bibles timeline.

Church Refuses to Host Troops Over Scouts' New Gay Policy
      NBC News·16 hours ago

See also: More stories ·
      Top stories

Big circle here chadie...................

look what shows up on Bing 16 hours ago

AND

By the way HAR/chadie..........your header on post was ............see below........so do not go deleting comments !

Your request was successfully submitted.

Bing Webmaster Tools

June 13, 2013 at 6:51 pm |

AE, you are ignorant.

2. Just because a scientist believes something does not mean that it is science.
      3. Just because a scientist believes something does not mean that it is a good belief.
      4. Just because a muslim person or a hindu person claims to have "proof" of god doesn't mean that they do.
      5. Just because YOU claim to have proof of god for you doesn't mean you do.

On science:
      1. Science deals with the physical world, not philosophical hypotheses.
      2. Science deals with what can be measured and observed.
      3. Science cannot measure or observe any gods.
      4. Science has made no claims about god because there is nothing for science to measure.
      5. When science (or some great scientist) figures out how to measure and observe god, it'll be on the national news and in science journals and the whole bit.

You are ignorant about the following:
      1. science
      2. proof
      3. measurement/observation
      4. god

June 13, 2013 at 6:53 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

HarryP, The difference is that you could give Tom the other person's number or give the other person Tom's number and they could confirm that the other exists. Also you presumably do not believe in the myriad of other gods yet someone could offer you that same analogy about another god and I'll bet you would not consider that evidence of the other god.

June 13, 2013 at 7:01 pm |

AE,

1. I didn't call you a "fvcktard.' I said for you not to be one.
      2. I use quotation marks properly.
      3. Since you don't have proof for god, but only think you do (because you don't know what proof is) then you don't believe in god--you only think you do.
      4. Why haven't you answered any of the questions I've listed that science should be able to answer if there was ANY proof of god?
      5. Why do you think it's a good tactic to list scientists who believe in god and some quotations when you know that science makes no scientific claims about god and many believers who are scientists disagree on who god is and his will?

June 13, 2013 at 7:01 pm |
    • The real Tom

Harry Azz, AE, et al, when will you boneheads be honest? You wonder why those who are agnostic or atheist think you are stupid. You do not have proof or evidence of the existence of an invisible creature who created the universe and listens to your every thought. If you did, you'd present it. You'd be able to produce it and allow it to be examined. You believe. That you have to cheapen your faith by attempting to pretend that it's anything other than a belief says much about you, none of it good.

You can go ahead and bark all you want, but you're toothless.

I don't care if you believe; it's fine with me. In fact, the Christians I most admire are deeply faithful. And not one of them behaves as you do. They're all too busy actually doing things for others to bother with some faceless, nameless posters on a blog. They don't feel the need to regulate others' lives or to proselytize or rant. They just calmly go about the work Christ commanded them to do. I have nothing but admiration for them. Pretty much the opposite of what I have for your sort. You're just showing off, just like the kid at his graduation-patting your own backs and polishing your halos.

June 13, 2013 at 7:02 pm |

@ Cpt. Obvious

– 1. Just because some smart person believes something does not mean that belief is "smart."

Yea, and just because some guy posts something on the CNN Belief Blog message board doesn't mean that belief is "smart" either. Even if person declares others to be ignorant and stupid.

No kidding. I never made such a claim. I just tried to demonstrate that some real scientists consider science the study of God's physical creation.

And I postsed some quotes that I thought could demonstrate that.

Call it ignorant if you wish, but I'm going to trust the viewpoints of actual scientists who believe in God than an angry sounding CNN Belief Blog message board poster who I know little about.

No kidding. But I can deem it good and worthy of sharing. The quotes exist in multiple places. Obviously many deem it as a good belief.

They have their proof. Just because I can't see it doesn't make it any less true.

I stand in cosmic immodesty if I think my understanding and measurment system is they correct way to know God.

It is up to each individual.

5. Just because YOU claim to have proof of god for you doesn't mean you do.

But I do have proof of God. And I can not deny God is real.

June 13, 2013 at 7:12 pm |
    • AE

"You wonder why those who are agnostic or atheist think you are stupid. "

I'm going to stop reading your angry sounding (yea, I know you say you are not angry, but you certainly sound angry) diatribe right there.

Only 1 person on here has called me stupid. Just you.

Not all atheists or agnostics think I'm stupid.

I know and love many atheists and agnostics and none of them call me stupid.

It is just you. And you don't even know me, so...

....oh well!

Thanks for talking about God with me. I love sharing. I'm out.

June 13, 2013 at 7:17 pm |
    • The real Tom

AE: "I just tried to demonstrate that some real scientists consider science the study of God's physical creation."

No, that is not what you said. You said that it WAS the study of God's physical creation, not just that some scientists say it is. That is what I mean by dishonest. You're as bad as Chard although not nearly as bright. Nobody asked you to believe anyone on here, you doofus. Capt. Obvious probably couldn't care less whether you believe him or not; I certainly don't.

You don't have proof. That you keep saying you do is simply evidence that you don't have a clue what constitutes "proof." Look it up.

Why do you persist in lying about it?

June 13, 2013 at 7:17 pm |
    • The real Tom

"I'ma take mah bawl and go home, you creeps."

Good. Beat it.

June 13, 2013 at 7:19 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

AE, two things, proof and choice.

1. Why do you CHOOSE to "go with" scientists who believe in god? Ever thought about it? Why not choose to "go with" the scientists who don't believe in god? Doesn't it appear that you are just justifying your belief by choosing to focus on smart people who happen to believe as you do? Doesn't that seem a bit hasty and sloppy and irresponsible?

2. You don't understand proof. Obviously. If you did, you'd not carry on this ridiculous sh!t about you having proof and muslms having proof and scientists having proof because you'd realize how seriously fvcked up it is when everybody claims to have proof for their own personal opinion. Beliefs based on faith are beliefs; they're not proved.

No scientist will tell you that they have proof of god because scientists understand that proof is UNDENIABLE. If proof only works sometimes for some people in an obscure way chosen by the deity in question at the time in question for the magical parking space right in front of Wal-Mart in question, then it's not proof of anything--much less god.

You do NOT have proof. You simply misunderstand and mislabel "proof" and so you think you do. You're wrong.

No scientist has proof. If a scientist did have proof of god, we'd all know it, we'd all be worshiping the same god in the same method for the same reason just like all our computers run on binary. There aren't any computers around running on meditation.

Also, if some scientist did have proof, he'd be the most famous scientist ever! Ever. In the whole of history. No name would be more recognized than his.

How do you manage to be so obtuse, AE?

June 13, 2013 at 7:22 pm |

AE,

Since you don't seem to grasp WHY you are so wrong, I have a suggestion for you: Print out this thread. Reread all the posts you disagree with. Read them until you can answer every objection clearly. Then ask your scientist friends. (By the way, it's not too hard to be a doctor or science teacher or botanist or whatever and have some very stupid ideas like god's existence. The real catch is in proving your hypothesis.)

June 13, 2013 at 7:27 pm |
    • AE

Science is the study of God's creation. To me.

Science is the study of the natural world. To you.

I say "To-may-to"; You say "To-Mah-to"

1. "Why do you CHOOSE to "go with" scientists who believe in god?"

Because you called me a fvcktard for stating that science is the study of God's creation.

I posted quotes that supported well known scientists who believe that they are studying God's creation.

I'm 100% confident in my choice to believe them over 2 angry-sounding internet atheists.

2. Proof = Evidence or argument establishing or helping to establish a fact or the truth of a statement.

I have 100% proof of God's existence. Just because 2 angry-sounding internet atheists don't like that or agree with that proof doesn't sway my faith in the truth about God.

If I didn't have proof I wouldn't believe in God.

June 14, 2013 at 3:28 pm |
  4. Tell them the truth Peter

1Pe 1:1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,

1Pe 5:1 The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed:

June 13, 2013 at 3:11 am |
    • The real Tom

Just because you read it and believe it doesn't mean it's true and it doesn't mean you have any right to proselytize in a public school setting.

June 13, 2013 at 4:42 am |
    • Science

Hey Tell them the truth Peter....................school should know this ?

Destiny & DNA......................World Science Festival

June 13, 2013 at 7:27 am |
    • Tell them the truth Peter

That is from:

– an original apostle
      – a witness that saw Jesus suffer
      – also agreeing that Jesus resurrected from the dead
      – that heaven exists
      – and God exists

1Pe 1:3 Blessed [be] the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

1Pe 1:4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,

1Pe 1:5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

The truth looks good Peter, ship it.... around the world.

June 13, 2013 at 4:39 pm |
    • The real Tom

Doesn't matter, dimwit. It's only meaningful to you. You don't get to try to force your beliefs into the public square.

June 13, 2013 at 4:42 pm |
    • Tell them the truth Peter

Peter said the truth. He admitted who he is, what he saw, what happened, that he was a witness to it all.

One person is enough... but he's not the only one.

If you call Peter a liar, you have to for everyone else that claimed the same thing, and all the witnesses after the original apostles... and all the people being killed rather than deny God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

You have to call all those people liars, just so you can remain ignorant of God.

June 13, 2013 at 5:08 pm |

Hey Tell them the truth Peter

Then do a simple search for Prof. Higgs...............the church hates that.

June 13, 2013 at 6:29 pm |
    • What Brilliant Religious Logic!!

Joseph Smith said the truth. He admitted who he is, what he saw, what happened, that he was a witness to it all.

One person is enough... but he's not the only one.

If you call Joseph Smith a liar, you have to for everyone else that claimed the same thing, like Oliver Cowdery and all the witnesses after the original Mormons... and all the people being killed rather than deny God, Jesus and the Angel Moroni.

You have to call all those people liars, just so you can remain ignorant of the Mormon faith.

You are a Mormon right TtttP?

June 13, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
  5. pickle

That is so cool.

June 13, 2013 at 1:24 am |
  6. pickle

"Gaylor doesn’t expect there to be any punishment. But without issuing some sort of statement expressing disappointment and reiterating school policy, she said, the district is making a mistake."

The big mistake is the district not cheering like the rest of the crowd.

June 13, 2013 at 12:37 am |
    • The real Tom

Why should ANYONE cheer? What is it you think this kid accomplished that's so heroic?

June 13, 2013 at 4:43 am |
    • Let it go.

Tom, you were arguing the same thing 5 days ago. You have a different opinion. That's it.

June 13, 2013 at 11:32 am |
    • The real Tom

Fuck you. What business is it of yours if I choose to post in disagreement, you witless ass? The kid was a show-off, like most of the believers who post here. Nothing more. Not brave, not courageous, and not a good example of his own belief's tenets.

You were here 5 days ago reading my posts. Why don't YOU let it go? Ignore what I write if it rankles your panties.

June 13, 2013 at 7:06 pm |
  7. faith

u r kidding
    our humorist doing her best work. i didn't have much of a chance to ask jesus not 2 sacrifice himself 4 me. fatso wants us 2 feel bad about that, 2. what a mind.
    go girl

June 12, 2013 at 7:15 pm |
    • faith

"sam stone
      allowing someone else to take the punishment you deserve is about the most immoral thing one can do.
      but, the snivelling christians lap it up. so much for morality"

sniveling christians. poor fatso. so sorry we make her so cross. get out ur violins while she has a pity party.

June 12, 2013 at 7:16 pm |
    • faith

"sam stone
      allowing someone else to take the punishment you deserve is about the most i m m or al thing one can do.
      but, the sn i ve lling christians lap it up. so much for mo ra l it y"

sni v e li ng chr is tia ns. poor fatso. so sorr y we make her so cro ss. get out ur violins while she has a p i t y pa rt y.

June 12, 2013 at 7:17 pm |
    • sam stone

wow, such a concise, well thought out response, filth.

now, go step in front of a speeding bus

jeebus is waiting for your silky mouth

June 13, 2013 at 7:08 am |
    • sam stone

i will fatty. i hope it runs over me slowly. i deserve more suffering. u do 2, honey. he sacrificed everything 4 u dear. better feel just terribwle. i luve u chubbsie

June 13, 2013 at 9:35 am |
    • sam stone

o sambo, i love u. marry me doll. u r so sweet. so kind. i no, be my smiley sweet pea 4 all eternity, won't u? o my darling

it is love

June 13, 2013 at 9:38 am |
  8. Jerry

There is peace for those who seek it. You will find it in Yeshua. He is the Promised One of Isreal. The Son of David. The Son of the Most High God. The Annointed One. The King of Kings. Lord of Lords. The King of the Nations. Savior of the World. Seed of Abraham. The Good Shepherd. The Redeemer. The Rejected Stone. The Chief Cornerstone. The Prince of Peace.

June 12, 2013 at 6:10 pm |
    • OOO

The Prince of Tides, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, The Prince of Darkness, The Dark Avenger, The Dark Lord, The Lord of Flatbush, The Lord of the Dance, ...

June 12, 2013 at 6:16 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

There is peace for those who seek it. You will find it in Charley Manson. He is the Promised One of Isreal. The Son of David. The Son of the Most High God. The Annointed One. The King of Kings. Lord of Lords. The King of the Nations. Savior of the World. Seed of Abraham. The Good Shepherd. The Redeemer. The Rejected Stone. The Chief Cornerstone. The Prince of Peace. a human.

June 12, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
    • tallulah13

Oh no thank you, Jerry. I get my peace from accepting my humanity and my mortality, and from understanding that I am just passing through this marvelous thing called life. I don't need mythology to feel at peace. If I did, I'd probably go with the Egyptian pantheon, because any religion with a cat goddess is all right by me.

June 13, 2013 at 9:49 am |
    • Thnkx

The peace that surpasses all understanding.

Some can't comprehend that.

June 13, 2013 at 11:35 am |
    • Thimk

Thnkx
      "The peace that surpasses all understanding.
      Some can't comprehend that."

If it surpasses _*all*_ understanding, that would include you too. So, don't say that you (or anyone) can comprehend it either.

June 13, 2013 at 11:46 am |
  9. A captive audience

Roy, you exude wisdom that most adults lack. Excellent speech! keep on , keeping on!

June 12, 2013 at 5:06 pm |
    • Huh?

You equate breaking the law with wisdom that just shows you're an idiot.

June 12, 2013 at 5:09 pm |
    • Uh Uh

June 12, 2013 at 5:15 pm |
    • Bill

Roy's wisdom wins over the foolish rants of the idiots above.

June 12, 2013 at 5:17 pm |
    • Huh?

"It may be in poor taste or disrespectful to those of other belief backgrounds, but it was not illegal."

Go back a few pages this argument has already happened. The U S Supreme court has already ruled you can't use a school's public sound system to voice your religious beliefs. It is illegal.

June 12, 2013 at 5:18 pm |
    • Roy, that was cool!

Kudos, Roy! your audience loved your address and we loved your speech!

June 12, 2013 at 5:25 pm |
    • Uh Uh

June 12, 2013 at 5:33 pm |
    • Huh?

"You guys decided on this message board it was illegal? Good luck on your arrest and prosecution."

Thanks for showing you have poor reading comprehension.

June 12, 2013 at 5:36 pm |
    • Uh Uh

Why it was not illegal:

The kid expressed a form of protest that clearly falls within the principle of freedom of speech.

The school silenced his mic in fulfillment of their obligation to keep the ceremony secular and not endorse one religious view over another.

June 12, 2013 at 5:37 pm |
    • Dandintac

"Wisdom"? Really? Would you be saying this if he were a religion of which you do not approve? What if he happened to be a Satanist, and said, "Now let us all thank Beelzebub?"

June 14, 2013 at 1:24 am |
  10. Vic

It is completely unnatural and <horrifying to self-murder. Anticipating natural death is difficult in its own way!

June 12, 2013 at 4:00 pm |
    • Vic

wrong spot!

June 12, 2013 at 4:06 pm |
  11. Veronica

If all of you Christians are so sure that god's kingdom awaits you after you die, and you'll get to see all of your loved ones who went before you, what makes you keep on living? Why aren't you all dying to die?? (sorry, couldn't help myself)

June 12, 2013 at 3:08 pm |
    • Vic

June 12, 2013 at 4:02 pm |
    • Sadvice

I have hope that this is true (an afterlife with everybody). But I won't know until that day comes. I like this life and I think it is a gift. God's will for me is to live today.

June 12, 2013 at 4:06 pm |
    • Matthew E

Because that would be disobedient. All of us are here for a reason, whatever God wills us to be here for. Denying that mission is completely disrespectful. What ever happened to respect in the world? I have enough respect for God to respect his plan for me. I have enough respect for you to respect your opinions. May God bless you.

June 12, 2013 at 4:13 pm |
    • ME II

Self-murder? Murder, the thing prohibited in the 10 commandments, is a legal term, right? Unlawful killing. If suicide is not legally defined as murder then why would it be wrong?

As to the disobedience to "God's plan", how is anyone supposed to know that suicide isn't the plan? People have rationalized great tragedies and massive atrocities, by the simple phrase "God works in mysterious ways". Why think that one isn't suicide?

June 12, 2013 at 5:11 pm |
    • faith

who says we aren't? speaking 4 myself, i'm like paul. i can't wait, but first things first. i have a duty to god to create as much severe agitation and discomfort among the heathen and infidels, reprobates, sinners, fools, depraved, contemptible and disgusting god hating nazi fascists as i possibly can. from what u clowns cry about me, i'm not doing nearly enough. (lil fatso sambo breaks out in hives if she even picks up a hint that an xtard is in a good mood. got to love that asp! got 2!)

June 12, 2013 at 6:13 pm |
    • faith

ME II

very good dodo. who says suicide is not a legal matter?

self murder. total moron. ur stoopid lil argument was just that.

people? name names. and if they did, does that make it true? u r so predictable and shallow and juvenile. this is precisely the reason she is laughed at by scholars. it is called left field

typical dodo set up. the question is a trap so that she can respond idiotically plus offer this last piece of convoluted "logic" which expresses her intent in asking the question in the first place. got to love dodo.

dodo, study the n t with fatso sambo. write down ur questions and ask me. i'll answer the first chance i get.

June 12, 2013 at 6:27 pm |
    • sam stone

"It is completely unnatural and horrifying to self-murder. Anticipating natural death is difficult in its own way!"

translation: "i am afraid of this pr1ck i have been worshipping and am in no hurry to go"

June 13, 2013 at 7:10 am |
  12. rc

Bravo.

June 12, 2013 at 2:22 pm |
  13. Athiest Hunter

OUR FATHER WHO ART IN HEAVEN HALLOWED BE THY NAME..........!!!!!

June 12, 2013 at 12:26 pm |
    • Doobs

Is god deaf?

June 12, 2013 at 12:59 pm |

Doobs

Maybe the dinobird will swoop down and take bill and the ICR ,RCC and the Discovery Insti-tute away.

Evolution again the Dinobird.............no god(s) needed.

X-Rays Reveal New Picture of 'Dinobird' Plumage Patterns
      June 11, 2013 —

June 12, 2013 at 1:46 pm |
    • Sadvice

Thy will, not mine be done.

June 12, 2013 at 2:40 pm |

Hey AH

The action plan will help ...............a couple of chondrites knocked together shacks the faith also !

Imagine No Religion 3: Peter Boghossian

June 12, 2013 at 3:20 pm |
    • faith

thy kingdom come
      thy will be done

Which fraudulent huckster made up this prayer and put it in the mouth of jesus? not bad 4 a crook and forger

June 12, 2013 at 6:32 pm |
  14. Bible

You just saw the movie 'Shrek', and I know what you are thinking. Can donkeys really talk? Why yes they can Timmy. It's all right here in the word of God.

June 12, 2013 at 12:16 pm |
  15. Sadvice

To those who are perishing, what does the word of God sound like?

June 12, 2013 at 10:58 am |
    • Cpt. Obvious

Just because YOU happen to be a muslim doesn't mean that the Koran makes sense to us that don't believe it's the word of god. And just because you claim that Koran is the word of god doesn't mean that it is. Think about that.

June 12, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
    • Sadvice

Are you perishing?

June 12, 2013 at 2:41 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

No, I'm not. Again, just because YOU believe that the Koran is foolish to those perishing and is god's word doesn't mean that it is. Just because all of your Muslim leaders and Muslim texts say your belief is correct and Islam is the way to god doesn't mean that you have any more of a claim to "truth" than the Christians do, right?

June 12, 2013 at 4:53 pm |
  16. Sadvice

Secret secrets are no fun, secret secrets hurt someone.

June 12, 2013 at 10:56 am |
  17. Andre

June 12, 2013 at 8:32 am |
    • Bill Deacon

Simply beautiful

June 12, 2013 at 11:37 am |
    • Brian

A beautiful 🎵 rendition 🎶

June 12, 2013 at 4:23 pm |
  18. Dandintac

Yeah, free speech. I get it. Go ahead. But while I agree he has the right, this does not mean that we cannot criticize him for doing this. Christians love a captive audience. It was grossly inconsiderate and inappropriate.
    For those of you Christians who applaud this valedictorian, just imagine instead that instead of reciting the Lord's Prayer, he had instead said: "Now let us all turn and face Mecca..."
    Would you be cheering him then? Or would you be outraged and angrily complain that it was inappropriate?

June 12, 2013 at 12:14 am |
    • GOOD NEWS

Thank you MR. Costner III for paving the way for us to say 'Let us all face Mecca ..." in the near future 😉

June 12, 2013 at 1:08 am |
    • Vic

Know Your Audience

That is one of the main principles in Public Speaking! Every sensible Christian respects others and would find a way to express oneself while accommodating everybody!

Roy Costner IV knew his audience very well and addressed an outstanding issue accordingly! It all depends on the demographic, and he touched on that in the brief interview by CNN's Newsroom.

June 12, 2013 at 9:02 am |
    • science

Hey Vic ....................must not take much to graduate ?

Listening to the Big Bang - In High Fidelity

Apr. 4, 2013 — A decade ago, spurred by a question for a fifth-grade science project, University of Washington physicist John Cramer devised an audio recreation of the Big Bang that started our universe nearly 14 billion years ago.

June 12, 2013 at 9:09 am |

Hey you too

Wow some fruitcake from xmas past ...................and he is the Mayor. at least 3 got it correct !

Fla. Mayor Objects to Humanist Week Because Group Doesn't 'Believe in Jesus Christ'

Read more at http://global.christianpost.com/news/fla-mayor-objects-to-humanist-week-because-group-doesnt-believe-in-jesus-christ-97562/#gmsx9mc9zyshz4kz.99

June 12, 2013 at 9:49 am |
    • sam stone

"Sensible Christian"?

Vic, you don't include yourself, do you?

June 12, 2013 at 10:14 am |
    • Athiest Hunter

Difference....our God is real!

June 12, 2013 at 12:25 pm |
    • LOL!

"Difference....our God is real!"

Prove it...oh wait you can't.

June 12, 2013 at 12:28 pm |
  19. Veronica

Why do you idiots keep reciting bible verses? Don't you get it?? We don't believe in the bible!!!! And why exactly do YOU believe in the bible? (In Goofy's voice): "Well, because the bible says it's true!" AAUUGGHHHHH!!

June 11, 2013 at 9:33 pm |
    • Athy

That's all they know, Veronica. They couldn't possibly come up with some convincing argument of their own, so they just babble the bible. Just ignore it.

June 11, 2013 at 10:11 pm |
    • Answer

The religious tools post babble quotes because they see them as a form of authority. They think they can enact a source of authority over anybody who ridicules them to say "look I have this book and it is power."

But alas that crock babble holds no meaning for anybody who sees it as crock.

June 11, 2013 at 10:57 pm |
    • Dippy

Which is what it is.

June 11, 2013 at 11:08 pm |
    • pickle

1. Because bible verses are wonderful.
      2. Yes, I get it.
      3. That is your problem.
      4. Because God said the truth and he's incredible.

Some of the best things in life are free. But being free, does not make them easy to obtain. The bible understood, is the best ever. The content is priceless and to die for.

June 12, 2013 at 1:22 am |
    • GodFreeNow

I'm with @Athy on this one. If they had facts, evidence, reason, or any of the other things we base our concept of reality on, they would use it. Like anyone else, they want to be right. They are just more concerned about being right to themselves than others.

June 12, 2013 at 2:08 am |
    • pickle

"If they had facts, evidence, reason, or any of the other things we base our concept of reality on, they would use it."

Jesus could have wiped out the entire Roman army, and anyone else that wanted to kill him.

They all eventually died after Jesus rose again the third day.

Who won? Who convinced 1/3 of the population of the planet?

June 12, 2013 at 3:20 am |
    • OTOH

pickle,
      " Who convinced 1/3 of the population of the planet?"

Over 2,000 years now and only 1/3 believe the Jesus legend? It took probably less than 50 years for the theory of gravity to be accepted world-wide... and it is the same for any other proven ideas, eg., mathematics, the telephone, radio, engines, computers, penicillin, etc., etc., etc.

June 12, 2013 at 3:36 am |
    • pickle

He didn't even defend himself, and got 1/3rd of the planet.

Imagine what he would have gotten if he had.

June 12, 2013 at 3:59 am |
    • OTOH

pickle,

Yeah, the legend had a pretty good run (and was extremely powerful for many centuries) but all that may be over one day:

"Christians make up about the same portion of the world’s population today (32%) as they did a century ago (35%)."

(and the places where it is growing these days - well, just take a look at them...)

June 12, 2013 at 4:26 am |
    • pickle

Don't forget the rational thought behind it.

June 12, 2013 at 4:32 am |
    • Sadvice

Dear Veronica,

This is a faith, belief and religion blog. So that is probably why you are seeing so many Bible verses.

Sincerely,
      Duh!

June 12, 2013 at 11:01 am |
    • Sadvice

Dear Veronica,

Also, our culture's art, music, literature and cinema is heavily influenced by The Bible.

Sincerely,
      Really.

June 12, 2013 at 11:09 am |
    • Veronica

Dear Sadvice,
      If a million people believe a stupid thing, it's still a stupid thing.

You're welcome.

June 12, 2013 at 3:06 pm |
    • Saraswati

I asked this several times and finally someone kindly produced some bible quotes that essentially say that the word of god has magical powers of persuasion. Apparently they believe that by quoting these lines this special godly power will convert you. I actually think this is a lot less crazy a belief than that non-believers would be persuaded by a book they don't believe in. It's still a bit weird, but given the premises not downright insane.

June 12, 2013 at 3:11 pm |
  20. GOOD NEWS

GOD is absolutely Real.

UNIVERSAL MAGNIFICENT MIRACLES

June 11, 2013 at 8:11 pm |
    • The real Tom

Nope. Not if you think he is.

June 11, 2013 at 8:12 pm |