home
RSS
Satanists square off on abortion (Yes, really)
The UK Church of Satan says it supports a variety of views on abortion. But is the church real?
July 9th, 2013

Satanists square off on abortion (Yes, really)

By Daniel Burke, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

(CNN)- Are Satanists for or against abortion? Apparently, there's a hot debate.

A group calling itself the "UK Church of Satan" on Twitter says it's open minded, tweeting out "Why Wouldn't Satanism be pro-life?" on July 5.

But the High Priest of the New York-based Church of Satan says it's squarely in the abortion-rights corner.

How to settle this diabolical duel?

Let's back up first.

As Texas legislators debated a law last week that would restrict abortions in the Lone Star State, a group of abortion rights protesters tried to drown out a group of anti-abortion protesters at the state capitol by chanting "Hail Satan!"

The phrase trended on Twitter. Megapastor Rick Warren rapped our wrists (and The Associated Press's, too) for not covering the "Hail Satan" serenade. Actually, pastor, our man Josh Rubin was on the ball.

The UK Church of Satan (assuming it's real) jumped on the trend, tweeting on July 3:

Which raises the question: What does Satanism represent?

We asked the New York-based Church of Satan, and we got an earful.

First of all, Magus Peter H. Gilmore, High Priest of the Church of Satan, told us, there is no "UK Church of Satan."

"I have not authorized any of our UK members to create such a thing claiming to represent our organization, its members and our philosophy," Gilmore said. "So, whoever is behind that feed is committing a fraud."

Gilmore's group, which, unlike the UK church, has a website, also keeps a P.O. Box in New York City. (Radio City Station of all places. Watch out, Rockettes.)

As a matter of policy, the Church of Satan doesn't give out exact membership numbers, the magus said, but it's in the thousands.

"Our organization, founded by Anton LaVey in 1966, is worldwide," Gilmore told CNN in an e-mail, "and we have many members throughout the UK and none of them have heard of any self-proclaimed 'Church of Satan in England.' There was a hoax using a title like this a year or so ago as a political prank."

We put the question to the UK Church of Satan,  who said, "There is no 'UK' Church of Satan. It's worldwide. We represent and connect those followers 'in' the UK."

We've followed up with more questions but haven't heard back yet.

To be sure, the UK Satanists' tweets have been surprisingly unsulfurous.

Take this one, for example:

Or this sweet-natured nugget:

This is a church that worships the Prince of Darkness? And who in hell is JMG?

Getting back to abortion, here's what the supposed UK Church of Satan said:

Yeah, kinda, Gilmore told CNN. But there's much more to it than that.

Many Satanists practice "rational birth control," saith Satanism's high priest, leaving matters of personal morality up to individuals.

"We generally consider the use of abortion to be the purview of the woman whose body is carrying the child," Gilmore said. "We consider sexual experiences to be an indulgence between consenting adults that should be taken seriously, particularly when the possibility of pregnancy is concerned."

But the magus didn't appreciate hearing the name of his lord taken in vain.

"Shouting `Hail Satan!' to abortion protesters is both ludicrous and meaningless," said Gilmore, who's led the Church of Satan since 2001. "Only attention-seeking fools would do so."

Unsurprisingly, Satanists take a strong stand on separation of church and state, believing the government "should be entirely secular."

"So religion should neither force upon nor deny an abortion for any woman, in our thinking," Gilmore said. "Freedom with responsibility is the hallmark of civilized behavior to the Satanist."

Now that that's settled, what's the Satanic stance on gay marriage?

***

"If you chose to mock us, then you should have done so based on what our philosophy actually is, rather than on an assumed `horror film' stereotype," the magus said.

Fair criticism. We'll try to improve our coverage of Satanism.

Oh, one more thing. Gilmore said the Church of Satan does approve of same-sex marriage.

- CNN Religion Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Church and state • Culture wars • Satanism

soundoff (2,331 Responses)
  1. Romans1

The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

July 10, 2013 at 12:04 pm |
    • snowboarder

"invisible qualities"

you mean imaginary qualities.

July 10, 2013 at 12:06 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

Romans 1, your god choose to hate Esau before he was born or had done anything wrong. Here's the take from Romans 9, though you'll have to go up a scripture or two to find the part about god hating Esau before he was born or had done any wrong:

13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.

15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.

18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

July 10, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
    • Observer

Cpt. Obvious

"Here's the take from Romans 9, though you'll have to go up a scripture or two to find the part about god hating Esau before he was born or had done any wrong"

Could you please supply that scripture?

July 10, 2013 at 12:20 pm |
    • Romans1

God hates Esau AS A NATION!

God did not hate Esau before he was born.

Rom 9:11,12
      For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth; It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.

Cleary what you claim doesn't stand against that verse.

(Gen 27:41) And Esau hated Jacob because of the blessing wherewith his father blessed him: and Esau said in his heart, The days of mourning for my father are at hand; then will I slay my brother Jacob.

Esau hated Jacob. First. Why? Because God blessed Jacob. Esau refused to honor God's decision – and proposed to KILL Jacob.

That hate, that desire to murder and that desire to go against God's will – God hates. And all of Esau's descendants carry those hateful desires in their hearts.

July 10, 2013 at 12:20 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

LET's Religiosity Law #3 – If you habitually spout off verses from your "holy" book to make whatever inane point you're trying to make, and not once does it occur to you to question whether your book is accurate in the first place, then you are definitely mentally retarded. (See Law #4 & #5)

July 10, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
    • lionlylamb2013

Dearly troubled Romans1,

July 10, 2013 at 12:31 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

It's in verse 11. I supplied the others for context.

9 For this is the word of promise, At this time will I come, and Sarah shall have a son.

10 And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac;

11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;)

12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.

13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.

July 10, 2013 at 12:32 pm |
    • lionlylamb2013

Dearly troubled Romans1,

Your serendipitous desires to be a regulating commodity of self declared waywardness within the subverting circles coming out from the gated communities of religious dogmatic configurations denies many who try to remain as a civility of moralizing commonalities. Eat of the forbidden trees of socialized sensualities as many broods of people have committed themselves upon.

July 10, 2013 at 12:33 pm |
    • Romans1

Paul is referencing Malachi 1:2-3 in Romans:

The Lord’s Love for Israel
      “I have loved you,” says the Lord. But you say, “How have you loved us?” “Is not Esau Jacob’s brother?” declares the Lord. “Yet I have loved Jacob but Esau I have hated. I have laid waste his hill country and left his heritage to jackals of the desert.”

Here God is talking about nations. The nation of Israel and the nation of Edom.

And the Hebrew word was not the same as our understanding of "hate". Think of it as "love less."

Esau was definitely loved.

Romans 9, 10 and 11 are about the nation of Israel.
      9 – Israel's past
      10 – Israel's present
      11 – Israel's future

July 10, 2013 at 12:35 pm |
    • Observer

Cpt. Obvious,

Thanks.

July 10, 2013 at 12:35 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

The issue is "freewill." As Romans 9 explains (and as the Calvinists believe) god does the selecting and the individual has nothing to do with it. Thus, god hates Esau before he is born. Thus, god hardens Pharoah's heart so that he gets to show off his power. Thus, god makes some "vessels" (people) as clay p!ss pots (that's what a "vessel of dishonor" is) so that god can show off to the believers how cool it is when he gets mad.

Romans 9 > free will

July 10, 2013 at 12:36 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

Notice how the non-Calvinist Christian treats Romans 9. Any excuse will do, as long as he gets to keep his opinion that directly contradicts his Holy Word.

July 10, 2013 at 12:37 pm |
    • Romans1

What do you mean "the issue is free will"? I didn't say anything about freewill.

The initial Romans post I quoted was about God's anger against sin.

It basically says people have no excuse for the way they act if they are wicked.

July 10, 2013 at 12:44 pm |

LOL!!

And if Romans 9 is correct, then god chooses "from before the foundations of the earth" whom he will hate, harden, select, and save. If god is doing the choosing, then humans aren't, dummy. Verses 15-21; take your pick.

July 10, 2013 at 12:47 pm |
    • Romans1

But Romans 9 is talking about nations. Not individuals.

Do you want to look at verses about individual salvation?

July 10, 2013 at 12:51 pm |
    • Romans1

Romans 9:30-32
      "What then shall we say? That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have achieved it, that is, righteousness that comes from faith; but that Israel, who pursued the law of righteousness, did not attain to that law? Why not? Because they did it not by faith, but as if it could be done by works."

Israel failed because they lacked faith. They thought they could earn their way into God's graces by their own power.

July 10, 2013 at 12:55 pm |
    • Romans1

-snowboarder-"you mean imaginary qualities"

The creation of the world are clearly seen—the mind brightly beholding what the eye cannot discern.

You believe in all kind of invisible and imaginary things (if you are a human being, and not a robot).

July 10, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
  2. D. Mama

To the Atheist who doesnt belive in god amazing to see you belive in something! So you have a god after all!! Hopefuul Satan gives you all the great guidance you will seek in life. Since Satan dwells in misery your life of doom and glum must be afun day for you! Good luck

July 10, 2013 at 11:53 am |
    • boocat

Atheists DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD OR SATAN....nice try.....

July 10, 2013 at 11:56 am |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

I believe in the importance of spelling and punctuation.

July 10, 2013 at 11:58 am |
    • snowboarder

if there were a satan, he has obviously been the victim of a smear campaign. simple logic would dictate that the deity that killed every living thing on earth, demanded and participated in genocide and slaughter is the evil deity. satan is likely the freedom fighter trying to save humanity from enslavement to a monstrous being masquerading as god.

July 10, 2013 at 12:05 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

another christian idiot who can't read... they're coming on here hot and heavy now...

July 10, 2013 at 12:06 pm |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

D. Mama: Does the D stand for delusional? That's exactly how you sound. 🙂

July 10, 2013 at 12:07 pm |
    • myweightinwords

Um, atheists only don't believe in a god or gods. They believe in other things (the earth revolving around the sun, the potential of their children, etc). They don't actually believe in a Satan.

July 10, 2013 at 12:08 pm |
    • kenny

only religious fools need a "Bad" daddy to scare themselves into being "good"... atheists are good by nature... because the ONLY rule man needs is the golden one... and it works both ways... good/bad... comes back to you ... but YOU can't decide how much... reciprocity... look it up... it was around before jeebus and will be around until the end of humanity... unlike jeebus

July 10, 2013 at 12:08 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

kenny

Not all atheists are good by nature.

July 10, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
    • kenny

I'm sorry dave, all humans are good by nature ... at first. Life makes them choose and depending on the life they choose/receive ... they become evil ... because evil was done onto them... they do it onto others ... sometimes a million times more evil .... but they still had to receive evil first ... in order to impose it on others ... look it up

July 10, 2013 at 12:15 pm |
    • lionlylamb2013

An earliest afternoon D. Mama,

Why is it that sensualities of the forbidden varieties are deemed by many lots of Life seem obscurely a defiant episode of our humane humanities' frailties? Live and let all live within freedoms' many various socialites waywardness ideals which are found out to be a civil undertone and moral underpinning. I was once against most acts and physical sensuality but I have become to understand the civil needs of many reprobate minds who linger all the longer in social waywardness.

July 10, 2013 at 12:15 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

kenny

Well I'd argue that human beings are naturally selfish and predisposed to acting selfishly. I'd also argue that evil is an abstract concept.

July 10, 2013 at 12:18 pm |
    • snowboarder

i'm going to have to agree with dave on that one. children are born selfish and taught to share.

July 10, 2013 at 12:22 pm |
    • WASP

@snowboarder: you will love this one.

TODDLER'S LOGIC ON OWNERSHIP
      1. If I like it, it's mine.
      2. If it's in my hand, it's mine.
      3. If I can take it from you, it's mine.
      4. If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
      5. If it's mine, it must never appear to be yours in any way.
      6. If I'm doing or building something, all the pieces are mine.
      7. If it looks just like mine, it's mine.
      8. If I saw it first, It's mine.
      9. If you are playing with something and you put it down, automatically it becomes mine.
      10. If it's broken, it's yours.
      11. If it is broken, but you are having fun playing with the pieces, it's mine again.
      12. If there is ANY doubt, it's mine.

AND, this is during the "age of innocences" XD

July 10, 2013 at 12:26 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

@WASP – I'm not sure we ever outgrow any of those ... look at our Congress for instance...

July 10, 2013 at 12:31 pm |
  3. SomeObligatoryNickname

Someone more wise than me summarized it beautifully: Satanists are just libertarians holding flashlights under their chins.

July 10, 2013 at 11:52 am |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

Freethinker Libertarians

July 10, 2013 at 12:01 pm |
    • I'm a Realist

or conservatist,, either one works

July 10, 2013 at 12:01 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

Conservatist? Is that a conservative conservationist?

July 10, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
    • JLB78

I'm offended, as a Libertarian I do NOT look THAT scarey holding a flashlight under my chin 🙂 *insert sarcasm*

July 10, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

@JLB78 – you're using the wrong lens again... use the Red Lens!

July 10, 2013 at 12:33 pm |
  4. roydubya52

I agree wholeheartedly with peridot2..which may seem strange as I am a follower of Jesus Christ.This is important aspect of my life..but I am not so self-absorbed to think what works for me works for everyone. Which is why religion has no place in government at all.The US was founded on the freedom to believe as one chooses...this includes the right to not believe in ANY form deity or supreme being.If I wish to retain my right to believe as I choose I must respect and support others right to do the same.

July 10, 2013 at 11:45 am |
    • lionlylamb2013

An almost good early afternoon to you roydubya52,

I am a freedom loving marsupial and it took me quite a while to find an approving stance regarding any adult labeled acts of sensual moderations. We are as a crazed lot all wanting for any action of the sensual varieties.

July 10, 2013 at 12:00 pm |
    • I'm a Realist

would like it if religions also paid their fair share of taxes too.. Separation doesn't mean a free ride. Look at all the tax exempt catholic property in prime real estate locations..

We all pay for them, because they don't pay. That's not separation. Another is in gov grants to religious organizations,, that's OUR tax dollar, again not separation.

July 10, 2013 at 12:04 pm |
    • Akira

You're a marsupial now, ll? Does HeavenSent know?

July 10, 2013 at 12:09 pm |
    • ME II

@lionlylamb2013,
      Humans are mammals, not marsupials. Perhaps that explains why your posts are almost incomprehensible.

July 10, 2013 at 12:14 pm |
    • ME II

p.s.
      FYI Both lions and lamb are also mammals.

July 10, 2013 at 12:15 pm |
    • lionlylamb2013

An early afternoon to everyone!

I am but a faulted marmoset within the animal kingdom of godly creationism(s). I bare the brunt of socialized hammerings and civil unrest and in seeking of moralism(s), I find much to be swayed within my consecrations' sake. I love all of God's sons regardless of our ineptness understanding.

July 10, 2013 at 12:22 pm |
    • ME II

Well at least marmosets are primates, closer.

July 10, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
    • FYI

"Marsupials are the group of mammals commonly thought of as pouched mammals."

July 10, 2013 at 12:31 pm |
  5. lol??

Nuthin' is sacred to the A&A's. They even let a woeman do Bart Simpson's speakin'!!

July 10, 2013 at 11:45 am |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

lollygaga: Off your meds again?

July 10, 2013 at 12:09 pm |
  6. Phil

'In a follow-up email, Gilmore made it clear that Satanists don't actually deify Satan. In fact, they're atheist, he said, and use Satan as a "symbol of pride, liberty and individualism."' –

Soooooo... let me get this straight. These so-called "satanists" – members of the official church of satan – are actually atheists and don't really believe in God OR Satan? Boy, that's somewhat perplexing. Why be a member of a church dedicated to the deification of what you don't believe in? Why not start your own church... the church of "human indulgence", or something? People really are strange. In my younger days, I dabbled in the dark arts a bit (no, magick is not real), and what these guys here are saying is satanism, is definitely not satanism. It's humanism. They feed their own will and narcissism. And don't get me wrong, I'm NOT advocating satanism. Trust me... it's not pleasant, fun, or healthy. It consumes lives and souls. It leads to so much endless negative energy. But these guys? Either they're not satanists at all, or they're trying to put a softer face on it to the media (the prince of deceit's followers lying to achieve a goal? No way!)

July 10, 2013 at 11:42 am |
    • captain america

they dont deify anything so you can relax and have a beer now

July 10, 2013 at 11:45 am |
    • ME II

@Phil,
      Thanks!
      I hadn't seen the update.

July 10, 2013 at 11:45 am |

July 10, 2013 at 11:47 am |
    • Phil

I'd love to have a brewski, but lo.... I'm stuck until 5

July 10, 2013 at 11:48 am |
    • ME II

@Phil,
      "Why be a member of a church dedicated to the deification of what you don't believe in?"

"Gilmore made it clear that Satanists don't actually deify Satan."

"In my younger days, I dabbled in the dark arts a bit (no, magick is not real), and what these guys here are saying is satanism, is definitely not satanism."

Obviously, you experienced a different form of "satanism" than is being described here.

July 10, 2013 at 11:50 am |
    • Phil

"Magic doesn't exist whether it's an invisible sky wizard chanting magic spells to make the universe balanced on a knife edge of corruptibility so that one reach of a woman's arm upsets the entire mechanism or whether its people in hoods chanting around a block of stone. Get real."

I'm sorry.... but when did I say it did? Sorry. You're inventing things to argue about. Read what I wrote again. Nobody said magic exists. You came here looking for an argument. That's silly.

July 10, 2013 at 11:51 am |
    • lol??

Denial is the last refuge of liars.

July 10, 2013 at 12:00 pm |
    • lol??

Christians do the judging. The lost think it's just a game and it's "how you play it".

July 10, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

What argument did I come here looking for, Phil? Do you deny that you used the lingo and logic of a Christian believer in some of your phrases?

July 10, 2013 at 12:06 pm |
    • Kristian

Now, I've actually read the so-called "satanic bible" by LaVey... What the magi is saying is complete in-line with what is written.
      Laveyan Satanism (and thereby the Chuch of Satan) is indeed atheistic and has always been..
      Theistic satanism usually takes either of two faces: Luceferianism which worships Lucifer (or the bringer of light) which is actually a very nice set of beliefs (google it) much in-line with other popular religions..
      The other is the depressed-teenager-looking-to-cause-a-fuss satanist or charlatans and such which is just kinda pathetic.. (imho)

Now.. I'm agnostic and there are many tenants of Laveyan satanism I do not agree with, but then again I feel much the same about Christianity or Islamism..

July 10, 2013 at 12:08 pm |
    • Judas Priest

@Phil –
      Media face.

@Kristen –
      The Church of Satan is just as full of hypocrites, wannabees, and poseurs who only read the parts of the book they like as any church.

July 10, 2013 at 1:01 pm |
  7. taylordacty1

Hail Satan

July 10, 2013 at 11:40 am |
  8. sly

Folks still believe in a little Red Man with horns carrying a pitchfork even though He lives in the center of the Earth?

Seriously? Real people believe in this stuff? Grownups?

Wow ...

July 10, 2013 at 11:35 am |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

You must be the 100th person to comment who has no idea what the Church of Satan actually is.

July 10, 2013 at 11:36 am |
    • Freaky

Satan is not a red man with a pitch fork.

July 10, 2013 at 11:42 am |
    • Cpt. Obvious

You know, it's getting to be like a "stupid detector." People post on here without having read the article or having the first clue what they're commenting on. I hope none of you idiots are practicing doctors. "Hey doc, I'm not feeling good." "Oh? well, let's cut off your left toe and your right earlobe." "But doc, don't you want to hear where I'm hurting?" "No, I've already decided based on my assumption of the six words you used in your T.ITLE."

July 10, 2013 at 11:42 am |
    • sly

Wow ... let me be more blunt then for y'all:

People actually believe in Satan and God?

Wow ... in 2013?

Wow. Yes, talk about 'stupid-finder'.

July 10, 2013 at 11:51 am |
    • Tim

God and Satan don't cease to exist just because it's 2013 lol. You sound like the stupid one.

July 10, 2013 at 12:00 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

Wow. Let me be blunt for you. After having several people comment on the fact that you have no idea what you're talking about, you still don't do the 45 seconds of research it would take for you to realize you're not even making sense when you talk about the beliefs of this organization. You do realize you're on a computer connected to the internet, right?

July 10, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

They don't cease to exist because they never existed in the first place.

July 10, 2013 at 12:04 pm |
    • sly

Believe me, many of us do not need 45 seconds to research ANYTHING when discussing Satan, Santa, Allah, Jesus or Wicca.

I don't think humans can walk on water. I don't believe there are 79 virgins waiting up in the clouds. I doubt anyone got pregnant through divine intervention. I don't believe in Big Foot or elves or trolls or ghosts, witches, warlocks, Dracula OR Frankenstein.

And I don't need 45 seconds of research on ANY of those beliefs. Sorry. Enjoy your fantasy leagues ...

July 10, 2013 at 12:18 pm |
    • Tim

The arrogance of some people is just unbelievable. We're here on this small planet which only a handful have ever left, and some people think they understand everything in the universe and can discount the existence of anything they haven't seen yet.

July 10, 2013 at 12:21 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

Tim

What's arrogant is asserting the existence of god/satan without any proof. You've never seen Elvis the time travelling space dust salesman, who r.apes shadows and smokes unicorn tears. If you say he doesn't exist, does that make you arrogant?

July 10, 2013 at 12:31 pm |
    • sly

Ok, Tim, I guess I was being a bit arrogant.

Let me restate: I definately believe in Frankenstein. There is an excellant book by Mary Shelley that supports the truth that Frankenstein, once dead, was brought back to life.

Many many people get together each Sunday to worship Frankenstein, and if you do NOT believe in Frankenstein, you are condemned to live in a purple bubble that sits atop the Empire State building. (No, sorry, you cannot see that purple bubble, but I guarantee it is there – all of us believe in it).

July 10, 2013 at 12:37 pm |

::sigh::

Sly, you are talking about people who believe in Satan. This article is about people who belong to the official church of Satan who do NOT believe in Satan. Thus, your opening post seemingly makes no sense. I won't always be here to pick up your slack, but do carry on....

July 10, 2013 at 12:40 pm |
  9. lionlylamb2013

According to scriptures with regards to Genesis 6:1, men alone were multiplying this world and no women were needed but in the progressives women began to be born and many of God's sons took mankind's fair ladies for their own recreational purposes. Go Figure !

July 10, 2013 at 11:32 am |
    • Lee

So....you think that God intended for the world to be full of gay men only?

July 10, 2013 at 11:37 am |
    • lionlylamb2013

A good late morning to you Lee,

Our socialized desires were commensurate with man to men sensualistic consternations being the first steps of humane civilizations very first steps upon the ladders of tributaries tribunal escapades. Our world has come full circles and we are slow to enunciate and de-vilify sensualized recreational ambitions due the bitter pragmatic juxtapositions of servile underpinnings within social awareness. Toward God's understanding, we are a crazed lot of infidelities not to be addressed by serpentine issues of loving kindness that all mannerisms of humanities offered up by civilizations many variable sensual commodities commonwealths. Gays or straights are all an okay nowadays and in my humble reckonings I approve all such issues of sensual conditionings.

July 10, 2013 at 11:49 am |
    • Lee

What?

July 10, 2013 at 11:58 am |
    • CommonSense

Someone's playing with their random word generator! Awesome!

Please turn on the intelligence filter ...

July 10, 2013 at 12:05 pm |
    • .

LL is the belief blog pseudo intellect, just laugh and move on.

July 10, 2013 at 12:25 pm |
  10. AverageJoe76

A satanist that's really an atheist.......

Currently, I do not believe Superman exsists as a real person..... but I also don't have the urgent need to join the 'Church of Lex Luthor'. I hope that makes sense. Because I'm riding with that.

July 10, 2013 at 11:30 am |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

Except Satan is the good guy, whereas Luther is the bad guy.

July 10, 2013 at 11:35 am |
    • lionlylamb2013

A late morning of goodness to you Average Joe whose number is 76,

I see your words written and do commend them for being truthfulness as you see things. 😀

July 10, 2013 at 11:38 am |
    • Løki

Satan Satan, er ist unser mann! ... wenn er es nicht tun ... o kann man!

July 10, 2013 at 11:40 am |
    • Cpt. Obvious

Some research into what the church members actually believe might help you keep from making such a fool of yourself.

July 10, 2013 at 11:44 am |
    • AverageJoe76

I'm not interested in what that church represents because of it's poor choice in a mascot. So I'll make a fool of myself on my end, they'll make it on theirs. You on yours. So on..... and so on.....

July 10, 2013 at 11:54 am |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

Satan is a freedom fighting hero. He seems like a good choice for a mascot to me.

July 10, 2013 at 11:57 am |
  11. Bob

Why the snide tongue-in-cheek tone of this article? Is satanism less of a religion than all the other similarly made up and ridiculous religions?? Write an article in the same tone about christianity or islam and people would go out of their minds!!

July 10, 2013 at 11:28 am |
  12. Harpy

I am one of the pro-choice protesters in Austin, and I can say with absolute certainty no one chanted "Hail Satan" at any point. One person said it ONCE sarcastically in response to a pro-lifer calling them Satanic, and due to hysteria plus a desire to smear our side in any way possible, the pro-life faction latched on to that one offhand remark, turning it into the ominous chanting of a fanged, baby-hating army of red-eyed demons. No one invoked Satan, Cthulhu, the ghost of Tom Joad, or any such thing. That is exactly what happened, so I wish people would focus on what's actually going on in Texas and not get lost in this type of nonsense.

July 10, 2013 at 11:28 am |
    • Bill Deacon

Are you one of the protesters who caused the YMCA to reverse their agreement to let pro-life students shower because you felt bullied by their T-shirts? Or are you going to say that didn't happen too?

July 10, 2013 at 11:48 am |

@Harpy

You'll have to excuse Bill, his comments are completely irrelevant so often that we tend to think he got a dictionary as a small child with all the definitions moved up four words. It's not the only theory we've put together to explain the matter, but it best fits all the evidence we've been able to gather so far.

July 10, 2013 at 12:01 pm |
  13. encisoc

Gilmore said. "So, whoever is behind that feed is committing a fraud." lol if he committed a fraud he is a good Satanic member you should be proud of him Gilmore!

July 10, 2013 at 11:18 am |
    • Judas Priest

Only if you don't get caught, or at least do it with some style. This gag was pretty 'meh'.

July 10, 2013 at 11:58 am |
  14. Honey Badger Don't Care

If the love of money is the root of all evil, then why does the church alwasy ask for money? Hmmm......

July 10, 2013 at 11:15 am |
    • Truth

Difference between love of money and need for money...

July 10, 2013 at 11:20 am |
    • Honey Badger Don't Care

Shouldnt an all powerfull diety be able to provide all that his church needs?

July 10, 2013 at 11:23 am |
  15. AverageJoe76

Dumb = "I'm atheist, but I've joined the Church Of Satan"

As soon as you tell me that, we can conclude any further communications. Because, "ain't nobody got time for that".

July 10, 2013 at 11:12 am |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

Prove your first statement.

July 10, 2013 at 11:17 am |
    • AverageJoe76

Statement proves itself. Like "1+1 = 11"

July 10, 2013 at 11:21 am |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

?

Statements don't prove themselves. Have you seen the lengths Kurt Godel went to prove 1+1= 2?

July 10, 2013 at 11:28 am |
    • AverageJoe76

Ok, you got me. I cannot 'prove' my statement. But I will post it again for kicks!

Dumb = "I'm atheist, but I've joined the Church Of Satan"

July 10, 2013 at 11:34 am |
  16. Agnostickids

Christianity:

Celebrating the irony of a carpenter being nailed to a wooden cross...

now for almost 2 thousand years!

July 10, 2013 at 11:01 am |
    • captain america

agnostickids your posts arent actually funny you can stop struggling for acceptance and a cheap laugh now

July 10, 2013 at 11:16 am |
    • Løki

Warum gibst du einen Scheiß, was er Beiträge?

July 10, 2013 at 11:27 am |
    • Bill Deacon

Speak English LET. This article is about your brother. You should be proud.

July 10, 2013 at 11:51 am |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

The morning star rising in the hearts of Yahweh’s people is a direct reference to Numbers 24:172 and describes the coming of Christ. The Greek word for morning star in 2 Peter 1:19 is Eosphoros. This is the same word used by the writers of the Septuagint to translate Heilel in Isaiah 14:12 and is the name of the planet Venus in Greek. If “Lucifer” is a correct rendering in Isaiah 14:12, then it is correct in 2 Peter 1:19 also (just as Jerome translates it). And so we have the first place where scripture calls Yeshua Lucifer. But that is not the only place.
      “And to the one who conquers and who continues in my deeds until the end…I will give him the morning star.” – Revelation 2:26a, 28b
      “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to testify to you about these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star!” – Revelation 22:16
      A word for the morning star in Latin, as we have seen, is Lucifer. So according to Yeshua’s own words, not only will those who follow him receive Lucifer, but Lucifer is a name for Yeshua himself. There is even more reason to believe that Lucifer is an appropriate translation in Revelation 22:16 because the Greek in that verse is “orthrinos aster,” which is a Greek epithet for Venus.
      In conclusion, Lucifer is another name for Venus, Eosphorus, and Heilel. It describes the second planet, the morning star. While Yeshua is metaphorically likened to it in 2 Peter and Revelation, King Nebuchadnezzar receives this honor in Isaiah 14. Unfortunately, Satan is never given such distinction.

July 10, 2013 at 12:12 pm |
  17. Left Hook

The Satanists are correct you know...The Christianists have no right to use the law as their preferred method to invade a woman's uterus and dictate how, when and where they will use it for reproduction...

The Satanists have far more respect for the female species than the "just doin' god's work as the little voices in my head tell me to" Christians ever will.

July 10, 2013 at 10:59 am |
    • midwest rail

Oh good, lol?? is here. I was wondering when the clinically insane were going to chime in.

July 10, 2013 at 11:02 am |
    • Richard Cranium

midwest
      Maybe not insane, but certainly inane.

July 10, 2013 at 11:06 am |
    • rh

This story is about the same BS that we get from Christian groups, atheist groups, Jewish groups, etc. etc. etc. That is, one tiny sect thinks they can lay down the law for everyone.

Time was, you could worship Satan without having to go to church. But now you got to bring money into it.

I like the idea that you have a shrine in your own house, to whomever or whatever you worship. No priest, no magi, no rabbis, no imams, nothing. You just have your own relationship with whatever you believe.

Too bad that idea doesn't sell or put a Mercedes in the driveway of the manipulators.

July 10, 2013 at 11:09 am |
    • lionlylamb2013

God set up acting sensualists for procreation and much of this world sees it for sensual recreation. As the massing crowds turn their focus away from the intellectual adversities considerations around procreation being forsaken, sensual recreation becomes an acceptable normality within today's mainstream socialites.

July 10, 2013 at 11:24 am |
  18. Agnostickids

If I remove my window-shield wipers,

Will I stil get a parking ticket?

July 10, 2013 at 10:58 am |
    • Cu-29

Yes, and you might also get a citation for improper equipment.

July 10, 2013 at 11:06 am |
    • Cpt. Obvious

Wow. So original and fresh. Nobody has ever said "Captain Oblivious" before. I mean, it's so clever. How ever did you... yawn..... um.... yeah...

July 10, 2013 at 11:26 am |
  19. rabidatheist

I think we have found the bonehead comment of the day.

Satanists are atheist? If god created Satan, does that make god an atheist?

July 10, 2013 at 10:56 am |
    • Left Hook

Your average conservative southern republican-bagger chrizzjun is totally ignorant and absolutely clueless....calling Satanists atheists just once again proves it...

July 10, 2013 at 11:02 am |
    • lionlylamb2013

A Good morning rabid atheist,

The parlors of many atheistic conglomerations are of "demonocracies" folding mannerisms giving rises to but a few dropped letters becoming democracies. Here within the very fabrics of the USA, our Republican virtues have been washed asunder for the most parts and "demonocracies" are being spread upon the world stage in other parts of the world's nationalisms. It's a dying shame to see the frailties of other worldly nations to be felled into "demonizing" moralities of the term democracy and not be told that the USA is a Republic nation gone astray. So sad. So sad.

July 10, 2013 at 11:08 am |
    • rabidatheist

@ Lionlylamb "Demonocracies"? I think the rosary around your neck is a bit tight, and cutting off oxygen to your brain.

July 10, 2013 at 11:27 am |
  20. Abrahamism in summary

Okay if I'm understanding this correctly...

Bronze age..

God: "Im an omnipotent being"

Satan and humans: "Maybe so but we dont like you calling all the shots all the time. We think it's an inequitable distribution of power. Quite frankly we don't like the way you do stuff."

God: "But I'm an omnipotent being it is what it is"

Satan and humans: "Sorry no dice we don't like being subjects.'

God: "Okay okay I"ll let you beat me up once..one time..but that's it."

Satan and humans: "Bring it on."

Post bronze age...

Some humans: "It's all just made up"
    Other humans: "Nope. It happens"
    Some humans: "My you're insane"

Is that about right?

July 10, 2013 at 10:55 am |

July 10, 2013 at 11:21 am |
    • Løki

Es ist ungefähr richtig, wenn Sie ein Blödmann bist ...

July 10, 2013 at 11:34 am |
    • Judas Priest

Sie sind absolut richtig, mein Freund verdreht und schlau.

July 10, 2013 at 12:11 pm |