home
RSS
Satanists square off on abortion (Yes, really)
The UK Church of Satan says it supports a variety of views on abortion. But is the church real?
July 9th, 2013

Satanists square off on abortion (Yes, really)

By Daniel Burke, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

(CNN)- Are Satanists for or against abortion? Apparently, there's a hot debate.

A group calling itself the "UK Church of Satan" on Twitter says it's open minded, tweeting out "Why Wouldn't Satanism be pro-life?" on July 5.

But the High Priest of the New York-based Church of Satan says it's squarely in the abortion-rights corner.

How to settle this diabolical duel?

Let's back up first.

As Texas legislators debated a law last week that would restrict abortions in the Lone Star State, a group of abortion rights protesters tried to drown out a group of anti-abortion protesters at the state capitol by chanting "Hail Satan!"

The phrase trended on Twitter. Megapastor Rick Warren rapped our wrists (and The Associated Press's, too) for not covering the "Hail Satan" serenade. Actually, pastor, our man Josh Rubin was on the ball.

The UK Church of Satan (assuming it's real) jumped on the trend, tweeting on July 3:

Which raises the question: What does Satanism represent?

We asked the New York-based Church of Satan, and we got an earful.

First of all, Magus Peter H. Gilmore, High Priest of the Church of Satan, told us, there is no "UK Church of Satan."

"I have not authorized any of our UK members to create such a thing claiming to represent our organization, its members and our philosophy," Gilmore said. "So, whoever is behind that feed is committing a fraud."

Gilmore's group, which, unlike the UK church, has a website, also keeps a P.O. Box in New York City. (Radio City Station of all places. Watch out, Rockettes.)

As a matter of policy, the Church of Satan doesn't give out exact membership numbers, the magus said, but it's in the thousands.

"Our organization, founded by Anton LaVey in 1966, is worldwide," Gilmore told CNN in an e-mail, "and we have many members throughout the UK and none of them have heard of any self-proclaimed 'Church of Satan in England.' There was a hoax using a title like this a year or so ago as a political prank."

We put the question to the UK Church of Satan,  who said, "There is no 'UK' Church of Satan. It's worldwide. We represent and connect those followers 'in' the UK."

We've followed up with more questions but haven't heard back yet.

To be sure, the UK Satanists' tweets have been surprisingly unsulfurous.

Take this one, for example:

Or this sweet-natured nugget:

This is a church that worships the Prince of Darkness? And who in hell is JMG?

Getting back to abortion, here's what the supposed UK Church of Satan said:

Yeah, kinda, Gilmore told CNN. But there's much more to it than that.

Many Satanists practice "rational birth control," saith Satanism's high priest, leaving matters of personal morality up to individuals.

"We generally consider the use of abortion to be the purview of the woman whose body is carrying the child," Gilmore said. "We consider sexual experiences to be an indulgence between consenting adults that should be taken seriously, particularly when the possibility of pregnancy is concerned."

But the magus didn't appreciate hearing the name of his lord taken in vain.

"Shouting `Hail Satan!' to abortion protesters is both ludicrous and meaningless," said Gilmore, who's led the Church of Satan since 2001. "Only attention-seeking fools would do so."

Unsurprisingly, Satanists take a strong stand on separation of church and state, believing the government "should be entirely secular."

"So religion should neither force upon nor deny an abortion for any woman, in our thinking," Gilmore said. "Freedom with responsibility is the hallmark of civilized behavior to the Satanist."

Now that that's settled, what's the Satanic stance on gay marriage?

***

In a follow-up email, Gilmore made it clear that Satanists don't actually deify Satan. In fact, they're atheist, he said, and use Satan as a "symbol of pride, liberty and individualism."

"If you chose to mock us, then you should have done so based on what our philosophy actually is, rather than on an assumed `horror film' stereotype," the magus said.

Fair criticism. We'll try to improve our coverage of Satanism.

Oh, one more thing. Gilmore said the Church of Satan does approve of same-sex marriage.

- CNN Religion Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Church and state • Culture wars • Satanism

soundoff (2,331 Responses)
  1. guest

Christians choose to be Christians, atheists choose to be atheists-Why?

July 9, 2013 at 11:39 pm |
    • Host

Christians "choose" to be Christians mostly because they were so heavily indoctrinated in it as children, though some get sucked into it after making total disasters of their lives. Conformism is heavily at work here.

Atheists tend to choose it, often coming form religious families but finding the teachings unbelievable. Critical thinking is the main factor at play here.

July 9, 2013 at 11:45 pm |
    • Athy

Gee, what a deep profound question, guest. And you need the answer to that?

July 9, 2013 at 11:46 pm |
    • PaulD

After you realize that gods most likely don't exist you really don't see much point in worshipping any. I can't "choose" to worship a god when I just don't believe any exist, so atheism really isn't a choice for me.

July 10, 2013 at 12:09 am |
    • jonnieyb

Do you see any sense in a rational explanation for the existence of God (i.e. the argument from contingency)?

July 10, 2013 at 12:11 am |
    • IslandAtheist

I didn't choose to be an atheist, there's just no evidence for god.

July 10, 2013 at 1:02 am |
    • Cpt. Obvious

The more I heard people talk about god and the more I studied the bible, the stupider it all seemed. One day I realized that I no longer believed.

July 10, 2013 at 1:06 am |
    • jonnieyb

Well, I have heard plenty of Christian belief systems that did not hang together, and I am sure that I have not always communicated my Christian belief well, so I can understand how that would discourage.

July 10, 2013 at 1:16 am |
    • Cpt. Obvious

Christianity is ridiculous at its most fundamental levels. It is beautiful as myth, but absolute insanity as some form of ultimate "truth" about "god." It's patently stupid.

July 10, 2013 at 1:32 am |
    • jonnieyb

well, I have nothing to say about sky wizzards! 🙂 Good night. Fun talking though.

July 10, 2013 at 1:40 am |
    • guest

Christians choose to be Christians, atheists choose to be atheists-Why?
      July 9, 2013 at 11:39 pm
      o Host
      July 9, 2013 at 11:45 pm
      I’m sorry ‘Host”, but you really need to answer for yourself.
      o Athy
      Gee, what a deep profound question, guest. And you need the answer to that?
      July 9, 2013 at 11:46 pm
      This wasn’t intended to be a profound question, it is more of a survey question. You may think that there is only one answer, but people have different reasons for coming to the same solution.
      I have a very good friend who chose to become a Christian after being an agnostic for more than 40 years. She says there must be something better than the life she was living. She told me that she had tried everything from atheism to various cults and even Satanism, but nothing was satisfying until she came to the truth taught in an evangelist seminar. She even testifies that she “…tried to stay away from the meetings, but something inside ‘her’ just kept compelling her to attend the meetings. She was one of only three people that did not miss a single meeting: there were twenty eight meetings. She attended she said because, “…This was the truth I was seeking all my life.”
      o PaulD
      July 10, 2013 at 12:09 am
      In a way you are right, because we as humans do not choose to live a godless life, we are born that way. The Bible teaches us that we are born sinners as the result of the fall of Adam and Eve—we must “choose” to be saved from a sinful life by choosing to serve God. However, I believe there is more to your story than just realizing “…that gods most likely don’t exist…”. I have one friend that, after a challenge from one of his friends to read the Bible: cover to cover, said, “God is obsessed with love for mankind and to save him…” He said he called it, “Operation: Cover to Cover”. But it can’t be read just for facts or a story or to just critizing it, as he said: “You have to read it for the message that God has for you.”
      o jonnieyb
      July 10, 2013 at 12:11 am
      For you there may not be a “…rational explanation for the existence of God…” , because you can’t explain it, but for me evolution is even more irrational. I can’t nor can anyone else explain the existence of God, but we are finite. For me, there is plenty of evidence of an intelligent designer, and to think that things just popped into existence is preposterous. There are several elements or components to even the simplest life form including the encapsulating membrane—how could that have happened by mere chance? Then to think that simple brainless life form evolved into something more complex, and that into something more complex is just as preposterous. For me, this is irrational.

o IslandAtheist
      I didn't choose to be an atheist, there's just no evidence for god.
      July 10, 2013 at 1:02 am
      Ditto from above.
      o Cpt. Obvious
      July 10, 2013 at 1:06 am
      An honest answer.
      I don’t know what you may have been trying to learn by studying the Bible, and I agree there are some things that are hard to comprehend, I even ask some questions, but I realize that in comparison to God—I am very finite. I’m not going to ‘trash’ the Bible just because I don’t understand everything. I, by faith, know that God wills that nobody should be lost, but that everyone should be saved.
      o jonnieyb
      July 10, 2013 at 1:16 am
      Let me suggest that you send for some Bible reading guides at: Discover, P.O. Box 260123, Lakewood CO 80226 I think it will make Bible studies more clear and explainable.
      o Cpt. Obvious
      July 10, 2013 at 1:32 am
      I’m sure God will take that into account when you stand at the judgment.
      Thanks Friends, this has been interesting, I only wished that more Christians would have responded. As for me, I choose to believe and serve God because I am a sinner set free from the consequences of sin by the love of God who so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, will not have everlasting death, but everlasting life.
      Jn 3:16
      P.S. God doesn"t exist for those who choose not to believe, but that does not preclude that God does not exist.

July 10, 2013 at 11:04 am |
  2. Truth Matters

I get frustrated when people of good will don't think that science, reason, and faith all help us to know the truth. The idea that whatever you believe is fine and good; whatever I believe is fine and good–nothing is true or false–it is preposterous. Truth exists; it makes sense to seek it by all means.

July 9, 2013 at 11:36 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

Ummmm.... oooookay? I'm not sure why you felt the need to state that here, but um, sure.

July 9, 2013 at 11:38 pm |
    • Fallow

There is no evidence whatsoever, none, that faith is of any help at all in understanding truth. Indeed, faith is often a distraction away from truth.

You are mistaking your blind presumption for truth.

July 9, 2013 at 11:40 pm |
    • PaulD

How does faith actually help you reach the truth of something? Somebody comes up and says he has a surefire way to double your investments, but he has no record of past performance. Plenty of people have gambled their investments on stuff like that only to find out that their faith was misplaced. Christians themselves are gambling that the other 2/3 of the planet that isn't Christian has placed their faith in the wrong god(s), or no god at all. What if they're wrong?

July 10, 2013 at 12:15 am |
    • Truth Matters

Faith is belief in things unseen. Is it ever reasonable to believe in something not witnessed by our own eyes? Can something not witnessed be true. Certainly

Faith builds upon reason. It builds upon science. Science looks at what is seen and describes patterns. Reason asks what we can know from logical arguments. Both leave us hanging to a certain extent with respect to what is unseen.

So then when it comes to faith, it must be consistent with science and reason. Faith that contradicts either or both is certainly not true. The question remains, are there things unseen, that can be reasonably believed in concert with scientific understandings. Certainly.

If we have faith in God (consistent with both science and reason), the great unseen, then there comes a question about God's role in the universe... an openness to understanding truth inaccessible without faith.

July 10, 2013 at 12:39 am |
    • Cpt. Obvious

Its reasonable to believe in some sort of deistic energy or "god," but to claim to know what that god wants is pure pride. Nobody knows because god is silent on the matter. And if you expect rational people to believe those silly stories with magic and invisible sky-daddy wizards making sh!t by chanting magic spells and people needing to chant magic spells so the sky wizard doesn't torture them forever, then, well, good luck. Do your magic.

July 10, 2013 at 12:43 am |
    • Really now

Fallacy of Equivocation. Religious faith is not the same as colloquial faith. You are pretending they are.

July 10, 2013 at 12:48 am |
    • Truth Matters

Oh Captain, my captain!
      I caught your first part about trying to understand what might be in accord with God's will. It is hard to say with absolute confidence what God wants of us, but it is easy to rule things out as being inconsistent with what we know of God.

You lost me after that...
      Faith has lots of definitions. I went with this one from Hebrews 11:1 says that "Faith is the realization of what is hoped for and evidence of things not seen." I could also use simply "to believe" or "to give assent" but I think sometimes the latter gives the impression that assent is to something contrary to other forms of inquiry rather than assent to things not knowable by other forms of inquiry.

July 10, 2013 at 1:06 am |
    • Cpt. Obvious

No worries. Your invisible sky wizard daddy will make everything all right. He's got all the magic spells he needs. Make sure to chant your spells the way you're supposed to and when you're supposed to, ok?

July 10, 2013 at 1:34 am |
    • Truth Matters

Great! How? Where did the materials come from?

July 10, 2013 at 1:36 am |
    • HotAirAce

Truth Matters, where did your god come from? If you say it was always there or is supernatural, you will also need to explain how that is consistent with science and reason.

July 10, 2013 at 1:51 am |
    • Truth Matters

Fair, Hot!
      So if God is, then God would have to exist outside of the universe because something cannot create or cause something it is a part of.

We exist because of our parents, life exists because of amino acids, they exist because of the big bang 13 billion years ago. Trace all of matter, time, energy back in causes and eventually you either come to conclude that there is an infinite chain of events that really doesn't explain existence at all, or we must come to some reality which does exist through itself, to some being whose nature it is "to be." This is what I mean when I speak of God. God isn't just a highest being, or a wizzard in the sky. God is the ground of being and the one whose nature it is to be.

How is this consistent with Science, it explains the first cause that science cannot explain. Eventually there must be some cause which exists outside of the universe... name it God.

How is it consistent with reason? God's existence can be reasoned with quite a few logical arguments. I tend to lead toward God as first cause or the contingency argument.

Pascal's wager is a logical reason for belief over disbelief but it doesn't really do it for me.

July 10, 2013 at 2:23 am |
    • Truth Matters

Ok all, thanks for the dialogue. I need some beauty sleep (probably could a use a beauty hibernation, but oh well). Thanks for making me stand behind my beliefs and not just spout things without thought behind them. Good talking with you all and I hope it doesn't offend you that I keep you in good thoughts and prayers. Night!

July 10, 2013 at 2:30 am |
  3. GodFreeNow

The devil hates abortion. Recognizing that all babies are atheists and combined with god's callous allowing of babies to die in wars and from cancer, etc., the devil knows babies are an easy way to collect souls to do his bidding.

July 9, 2013 at 11:35 pm |
  4. Dyslexic doG

God. The one who loves you so much, that he created hell in case you don't love him back... LOL

July 9, 2013 at 11:34 pm |
    • midwest tail

Yes! This is how one should troll. Good job, brother.

July 9, 2013 at 11:37 pm |
    • I believe

If heaven is eternity spent with God and hell is eternity spent without God, would hell seem like a punishment to one who does not know God?

July 9, 2013 at 11:40 pm |
    • Rolllo Tomasi

If heaven is spending eternity doing absolutely nothing other than worshipping God (how much stroking does his ego need, anyway?) and being surrounded by nincompoops like LionlyLamb and Austin, and knowing some people you care about ar over in the other place being horribly tortured by the guy you are worshipping, well, what part of that isn't hell too?

July 9, 2013 at 11:47 pm |
    • I believe

If one knows and loves God, eternity in his presence is what one longs for most. God does not need man's worship. God is not needy. "Being horribly tortured by the guy..." I said nothing of torture, I said eternity spent without God. The chief "punishment" of hell is separation from God. If one chooses to separate oneself from God in life, would one even want union with God in eternity?

July 10, 2013 at 12:09 am |
    • PaulD

I believe
      Yet, God is supposedly beyond human understanding, right? How do you know that he isn't using souls as some kind of snack food?

Popcorn souls! 🙂

July 10, 2013 at 12:19 am |
    • Cpt. Obvious

@I Believe

You make an interesting case. Sine god is invisible and undetectable, we can't verify his existence or nature, and we certainly don't know what he is like by any other method. We can verify a lot of facts that allow us to really 'know' important ways of working within our environment. (Are you aware that your computer runs because of completely unbelievable laws of quantum physics?)

If god wants people to know him, then he needs to do something about the all the confusion over who he is and what he wants. He shouldn't allow that if he has an opinion on the matter and is going to judge us. If your god does exist, it's indistinguishable from fantasy, and that's bad form.

July 10, 2013 at 12:39 am |
    • I believe

Hmm... I've never thought about popcorn souls!

God is mystery. We cannot know all there is to know about God. But, we can say something about God. If reason holds that God exists (and it does) and is a creator God (and He is), then creation ought to point to it's creator just as a piece of artwork can indicate something of the artist.

Maybe I am wrong, but looking at the universe does not lead me to belief in a God who gives life to have human snackfood in eternity! I kid. Looking at creation does allow us to say some profound things of the creator with great confidence. What can we say about the knowledge of God if we are created with the capacity to understand quantum physics!?!?!?

July 10, 2013 at 12:54 am |
    • I believe

Hmm... I've never thought about popcorn souls!

Maybe I am wrong, but looking at the universe does not lead me to belief in a God who gives life to have human snack food in eternity! I kid. Looking at creation does allow us to say some profound things of the creator with great confidence. What can we say about the knowledge of God if we are created with the capacity to understand quantum physics!?!?!?

July 10, 2013 at 12:55 am |
    • Really now

There is not a shred of evidence supporting anything you just said. It is nothing but you using your imagination. No evidence of God in the slightest, and yet you assert it as a fact. Pure imaginary nonsense.

July 10, 2013 at 12:57 am |
    • Cpt. Obvious

We can't say anything about the knowledge of god, doofus, we have no idea if there is one. We can comment on the complexity of the universe and its beauty and symmetry, but we have no idea if there is a god or what he wants or if he cares about anything we care about. There is no reason to believe any particular way. If you want to know about the universe, study it and wonder, but don't make silly assumptions.

July 10, 2013 at 12:59 am |
    • I believe

Ok, belief in God is a reasonable belief. Why does everything exist? Why not nothing? Why something instead of nothing? Why life instead of no life?

July 10, 2013 at 1:11 am |
    • Rollo Tomasi

Belief in god is not reasonable, as you claim. There is absolutely no evidence for it. The questions you provided are bizarre.

"Why does everything exist? Why not nothing? Why something instead of nothing?" Aside from being incredibly vague, it's foolish and pointless. That "everything" exists in no way proves or disproves a deity. Were nothing to exist, again, that proves neither case. Very bizarre attempt at logic there.

"Why life instead of no life?" Because the conditions in some locations in the universe became correct for the transformation of inert materials into basic early amino acids. Same as above, the existence of life neither proves or disproves a deity.

Zero evidence anywhere in the universe that even hints at any deity or supernatural force. You are just asserting something with absolutely no evidence in support.

July 10, 2013 at 1:22 am |
    • Truth Matters

Great! How? Where did the materials come from?

July 10, 2013 at 1:38 am |
    • Ralph the Wonder Llama

Let me guess: your answer is that invisible magic buddy did it, right?

Matter/energy was always there. Idiot Christians try to claim that there was nothing before Big Bang, why I don't know. The process for abiogenesis are still in early research, but nothing even hints at the magic guy angle. Read about it if you like:

July 10, 2013 at 1:43 am |
    • Truth Matters

Ralph,
      I am with you. But what caused the big bang?

July 10, 2013 at 1:54 am |
    • Truth Matters

Ok, I responded above, but I have to go to bed now. Man would I love to sit down with you over a beer though. You challenge me and I appreciate it. Blessings!

July 10, 2013 at 2:25 am |
  5. Captain Obsever

A recent Gallup Poll revealed 85% Americans would allow a Satanist to babysit their child before an atheist.

July 9, 2013 at 11:28 pm |
    • midwest rail

Boring – not even a decent effort at trolling.

July 9, 2013 at 11:31 pm |
    • Lee

And he still can't spell.

July 9, 2013 at 11:35 pm |
    • Lee

And he still can't spell.

July 9, 2013 at 11:35 pm |
    • midwest tail

You can't post properly.

July 9, 2013 at 11:38 pm |
    • Sandra

It's illegal to question a prospective employee about their religious views.

July 9, 2013 at 11:40 pm |
    • Captain Observer

We pay babysitters under the table. We keep the government out of it.

July 9, 2013 at 11:43 pm |
    • Rolllo Tomasi

Yes, best to keep those substandard wages under the table. Teach the babysitter tax evasion. That's the Republican way.

July 9, 2013 at 11:50 pm |
    • PaulD

Guess that 85% never saw any of the Omen movies.

July 10, 2013 at 12:20 am |
    • Cpt. Obvious

PaulD gets the award for "Most Relevant Post"

July 10, 2013 at 12:33 am |
  6. Richard

satanists is just another form of religion and another form of control.

July 9, 2013 at 11:07 pm |
  7. copanut

"O Lord, please don't burn us, Don't grill us or toast your flock, Don't put us on a barbecue, Or simmer us in stock, Don't braise us or bake or boil us, Or stir-fry us in a wok. Oh please don't lightly poach us, Or baste us with hot fat, Don't fricassee or roast us, Or boil us in a vat, And please don't stick thy servants, Lord, In a Rotissomat."

July 9, 2013 at 11:07 pm |
    • Rev. Dinsdale

Let us praise God. O Lord, ooh, You are so big... so absolutely huge. Gosh, we're all really impressed down here, I can tell You. Forgive us, O Lord, for this, our dreadful toadying, and barefaced flattery. But You are so strong and, well, just so super.

Amen.

July 9, 2013 at 11:23 pm |
  8. Devout Atheist

Big George Michael fan, are we?

July 9, 2013 at 11:04 pm |
    • Devout Atheist

That was meant to be directed at the guy with the username FAITH.

July 9, 2013 at 11:05 pm |
  9. copanut

Genesis 19:8 "Behold now, I have two daughters which have never had sẻx ; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes."

Fine family values.

July 9, 2013 at 11:01 pm |
    • R.M. Goodswell

That was a different time!

The girls were honored to be defiled in the service of almighty God!

You re taking it outa context!

That's the OLD testament!

You re not a biblical scholar – the bible was never meant for the common people to read on their own!
      (that passage is for clergy use only if you get my drift...*wink* ,*wink*,*nudge*,*nudge*)

Did I miss any?

July 9, 2013 at 11:41 pm |
    • PaulD

R.M.
      How's "Those girls later did it with their father, ... so they clearly deserved it"?

July 10, 2013 at 12:23 am |
    • Cpt. Obvious

Well, you know, you gotta bargain with every chip you got when you're trying to protect POWERFUL ANGELS OF ALMIGHTY GOD. It's not like he had a choice, really. Would ya'll have really done differently? I mean, as a father you wouldn't expect him to FIGHT TO HIS LAST GA.SP to protect his daughters from being R.A.PED BY A MOB would you?

What's the moral of that story?

July 10, 2013 at 12:30 am |
  10. faith

Duplicate comment detected; it looks as though you’ve already said that!

no. you did

July 9, 2013 at 11:01 pm |
    • faith

girls, lighten up. it is your soul at risk. nothing personal

jesus loves you

July 9, 2013 at 11:03 pm |
    • faith

they certainly fail to live up to their boisterous pronouncements that they are doing just fine. no worries or fears.

why are they terrified, anyway?

July 9, 2013 at 11:17 pm |
    • faith

as i've told you, the god-hating nazi fascists who call themselves atheists and agnostics are less than truthful. in reality, most posting here (and there are only 2 or 3 altogether who hate god, though they pose as hundreds of unique individuals) are satan possessed.

July 9, 2013 at 11:22 pm |
    • Athy

We don't hate god, faith. How can one hate something that doesn't exist. You religies just can't seem to get that. Are you really that slow?

July 9, 2013 at 11:51 pm |
  11. Austin

non filtered

2 Corinthians 4:6
    New International Version (NIV)
    6 For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,”[a] made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ.

July 9, 2013 at 10:55 pm |
    • realbuckyball

Stop quoting your silly old book. We all know that is the only book you ever read. There is no reason why modern humans need to be reminded what the opinion of ancient Near Easterners were, who had no education on anything, and whose old scrolls, (WH THEY NEVER ONCE CLAIMED WERE *inspired*) got non-unanimously VOTED in a set of books (the Bible) a few hundred years after they were cooked up.

July 9, 2013 at 11:06 pm |
    • PaulD

Austin
      How about this as a "Light that Shines in the Darkness"?
      [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQs1nwrg0F8&w=640&h=360]

July 10, 2013 at 12:29 am |
  12. Saraswati

A general tip: If you read about a religious group with which you aren't familiar take 5 minutes to at a bare minimum visit their website before commenting. Heck, reading the Wikipedia page would improve the content of some of these comments. Ditto, by the way, for writing a Belief Blog story.

July 9, 2013 at 10:45 pm |
    • Debs

Satan is the master of deception...he wants you to believe that Satanism is harmless or even good!

July 9, 2013 at 10:50 pm |
    • copanut

Satan is such a master of deception that he has deceived debs into thinking he is real.

July 9, 2013 at 10:52 pm |
    • Answer

Religious freaks are so fvcked in the head.

July 9, 2013 at 10:58 pm |
  13. faith

BOYCOTT THE ADVERTISERS THAT WASTE MONEY ON THIS DE GE NERATE, SICK, HA TE-FILLED PE RVERSE MOUTHPIECE 4 NAZI GOD HATING FASCI S TS

2DAY, 2MORROW, 4EVER

contact rush
    mark Levine
    ADL
    fox news

hate speech
    discrimination
    threats of violence

July 9, 2013 at 10:45 pm |
    • copanut

I'm going to run out and buy their products because their sponsorship really bothers crazy people.

July 9, 2013 at 10:51 pm |
    • Austin

chess peices?

July 9, 2013 at 10:56 pm |
    • Jim

Where's that dr that was in here earlier. I think some of your other patients have escaped.

July 9, 2013 at 10:57 pm |
  14. Darn

I want to know... Who was the 666th commenter?

July 9, 2013 at 10:45 pm |
    • Dave

Probably some Satanist

July 9, 2013 at 10:47 pm |
    • Chris

Hah, just checked, it was me!!

I wrote this:

"How's being a Satanist and Different than being a Christian? Both are equal halves of the same story? And assuming you do believe in such nonsense, who's to say the followers of Jesus are really the pure, good, and moral ones? Perhaps God conned you all and it is he that is evil and Satan that is good. That would certainly explain the Satanists pro-life, pro-love, pro-peace stance."

Awesome!

July 9, 2013 at 10:52 pm |
  15. FAITH

2DAY, 2MORROW, 4EVER

contact rush
    mark Levine
    ADL
    fox news

July 9, 2013 at 10:44 pm |
    • Lee

Nazis were primarily Christian. They LOVED God.

July 9, 2013 at 11:31 pm |
  16. copanut

I believe in Keerok. Behold, a god who bleeds.

July 9, 2013 at 10:43 pm |
    • Devout Atheist

I believe in a giant invisible cupcake that orbits the Earth. It implores me not to eat its fellow cupcakes.

July 9, 2013 at 10:45 pm |
    • copanut

The Cupcake god was appeased by the sacrifice of the prophet Twinkie.

July 9, 2013 at 10:55 pm |
    • Devout Atheist

And the Twinkie was henceforth cast down into the pit of hell, where it melted into a deliciously tempting (damningly so) pile of goo.

July 9, 2013 at 11:02 pm |
    • copanut

And the Devil Cakes burst into mirth, and they did yell "Ho Ho!" Here endeth the lesson.

July 9, 2013 at 11:12 pm |
    • tallulah13

Kirok? That episode where Kirk is so happy as an amnesiac fake Indian that he hugs himself? Pure comedy gold.

July 9, 2013 at 11:33 pm |
  17. copanut

Satan is a deity invented by Christians. If you believe in Satan, by definition you believe in Christianity. Two sides of the same coin, and equally delusional.

July 9, 2013 at 10:41 pm |
  18. Devout Atheist

I treat Satanic cults like any other cult. If being a member of a cult helps you to be a better more philanthropic human-being or is something you need to sleep more soundly at night, by all means join a cult. Not only will I not stand in your way I implore you to do so.

Just don't hate me for considering you either certifiably stup*d or certifiably nuts.

July 9, 2013 at 10:35 pm |
  19. lionlylamb2013

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPJi8auUdog&w=640&h=360]

July 9, 2013 at 10:33 pm |
    • lionlylamb2013

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3udGpQLxdwA&w=640&h=360]

July 9, 2013 at 10:37 pm |
    • Charlie Brown

Again with this carp? Maybe they were involved after all.

July 9, 2013 at 10:46 pm |
  20. John

One who believes there is a malignant spiritual being must also believe in a benevolent one-they believe in fairies. So any 'church'-that is any organization-using the name Satan is merely grand-standing, huckstering, doing PR for money.

Whatever you believe or don't, it is within you to be that way. I say religion not only has no place in government, it is only an excuse and a convenience for social belonging.

July 9, 2013 at 10:32 pm |
    • Athy

John, you seem to be one of the very few who really "gets it." Congratulations.

July 9, 2013 at 11:16 pm |