home
RSS
August 4th, 2013

For some Muslims, Ramadan fasting poses risks

By Slma Shelbayah, CNN
[twitter-follow screen_name='SlmaShelbayah']

(CNN) This Ramadan, Amina Jabbar faced a difficult decision.

The University of Toronto medical student’s rotation at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre began around July 9, the start of the Muslim holy month.

That meant working unpredictable shifts for as long as 26 hours while fasting from eating and drinking during the day.

The fast-paced hospital environment was already challenging Jabbar’s ability to keep up with colleagues and patients. As a new physician, she felt more “error prone” and said fasting would increase her anxiety on the job.

Ramadan requires “slowing down,” Jabbar said, an impossible task for a first-year medical resident whose job requires fast decisions and clear thinking to save lives.

The 29-year-old Muslim was torn.

Should she fulfill her professional duties, eating regular meals so hunger would not distract her from patients’ critical needs? Or should she honor her religious obligations by observing the fast, a practice considered a “pillar” of Islam?

“I am spending 60-80 hours (at the hospital) and I don’t get to slow down for Ramadan,” Jabbar said. “It felt unfair to my colleagues and patients to tell them to slow down for me.”

At the same time, Jabbar said she feared that fellow Muslims would criticize her if she didn’t fast. “There’s a certain amount of shame when we talk about people not fasting,” she said.

The decision not to fast during Ramadan, the holiest month in the Muslim calendar, is somewhat taboo in the Muslim community.

READ MORE: The Belief Blog Guide to Ramadan

In Islam, Ramadan commemorates the time when the angel Gabriel imparted the Quran to the Prophet Mohammed.

Many Muslims throughout the world commemorate the month by fasting, refraining from sex and smoking, and dedicating more time than usual to praying and reading the Quran.

Some exceptions are generally allowed during Ramadan, which ends August 8. Pregnant women, travelers and sick people are not expected to observe the fast, for example.

But for many other Muslims, especially first responders and others with stressful jobs, the choice of whether to fast can cause its own kind of anxiety.

When Jabbar blogged about her decision not to fast, she received a mix of reactions.

One Muslim accused her of looking for an “excuse” to shirk her religious duties. Some questioned her devotion to Islam, asking if she performs other required Islamic rituals such as daily prayers.

“Of course I pray," Jabbar said. "I am just choosing not to fast. We have a lot of pressure to demonstrate to our community that we’re Muslim.”

Imam Khalil Abdur-Rashid, head of the Iqra Mosque in Brooklyn and Muslim Chaplain of Columbia University,  said that observing the fast during Ramadan is a religious obligation for every Muslim who is considered mature, mentally sane, healthy and not traveling.

There are no fatwas – or religious rulings – that grant fasting exemptions for first responders, he added. But, Abdur-Rashid said, one is definitely needed. In fact, he generated one immediately after speaking with CNN.

"The purpose of the fast is not to place the fasting person in the face of harm, but to teach self-restraint,” Abdur-Rashid said.

“And the moment the fast becomes dangerous, or external conditions place the fasting person in harm's way," he said, "then the fasting person is not only permitted, but in many cases, religiously obliged to break their fast.”

Abdur-Rashid's new fatwa may be especially valuable to Muslims like New Yorker Ahmed Sabree, who battles fires while wearing heavy equipment during the searing summer heat.

Sabree, 42, said the arrival of Ramadan this July took him back to his training days with the New York Fire Department nearly eight years ago.

Sabree endured intense physical drills that included racing up six-story buildings, pulling up hoses and crawling on the floor.

Trainers told the budding firefighters to “hydrate, hydrate, hydrate,” Sabree recalls.

He contemplated breaking the fast, at least to drink some water, and researched Islamic texts for guidance.

Sabree concluded that his training, though grueling, was insufficient reason to drink water during the day.

Ramadan is not just about enduring physical hardships for hardships' sake, Sabree said. Instead, the holy month has a deeply spiritual dimension.

The firefighter said Ramadan's rituals offer an opportunity to “get back on track” and become more conscientious of his responsibilities to God and his fellow man.

That doesn’t mean fasting is easy for Sabree, so he takes precautions to lighten the load a bit.

For instance, he volunteered for the lunchtime watch shift at his firehouse in Harlem, New York, while others are eating in the kitchen, better to keep the alluring aromas of food at bay.

And if a fire breaks during the time of breaking the fast, Sabree responds immediately. To the fire that is, not his stomach.

“If it’s time to break the fast and there’s a fire, you gotta go,” Sabree said. “I’ll break my fast with some water and go.”

READ MORE: Muslims have mixed views on TSA Ramadan advisory

Deputy Chief Mike Jaafar of Wayne County in Michigan is also fasting this year.

Jaafar says Ramadan is “kind of a cool time,”  but he doesn’t mean temperature.

In fact, for the last several years, Ramadan has fallen during the hottest summer months. The holy month is calculated by a lunar, rather than fixed calendar, so it rotates from year to year.

“Unfortunately, I can’t adjust my schedule in the profession I am in. This year is going to be a tough one,” Jaafar said. He is expected to keep the same long hours and fulfill the same duties as his fellow officers.

But there are some perks to celebrating Ramadan in Michigan, home to the largest concentration of American Muslims in the United States. When the holy month comes around, fasting isn’t much of a foreign concept, even for those not Muslim.

This understanding translates into small workarounds for Jaafar. Sometimes, if he begins his workday early enough, he is able to finish in time to get home for dinner.

“My hours can be flexible, and usually I can break my fast with family,” Jaafar said. He uses this time to visit his mother every day and to attend the mosque with his children.

As for Jabbar, the medical resident is trying to make up for not fasting through other spiritually fulfilling options, such as praying and helping heal her patients.

“Spirituality has to become part of my clinical practice, because I spend so much time of my life there,” she said.

But Jabbar said she still misses the slowing down that Ramadan's daytime fasting requires.

"I am trying to make it up in terms of remembrance," of God, she said. "It doesn’t always feel sufficient."

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Faith & Health • Holidays • Islam • Islamic law • Ramadan

1. mush

Wait, they can't eat during daylight hours, but they can still blow things up?

August 4, 2013 at 1:56 pm |
  2. Paul

Religions are all part of human culture and tradition so there is some value inherent to religion because it is part of human history. However all of the various "brands" of religion need to bee seen in proper context as our human culture collectively continues to evolve. As a world community of human beings, we all need to temper our traditions, behaviors and actions with common sense. Rational thought facilitated by scientific evidence is helpful but doesn't necessarily have to invalidate or destroy all traditions (some of which can continue to be positive and valuable)...

August 4, 2013 at 1:51 pm |
  3. Muhammad

Islam stresses in honest living more than any worship or prayer except belief in one Allah and His Prophet (P.B.U.H). A Pakistani ex cricket captain who has now become voice of religious fanatics, lead cricket matches in West Indies during Ramadan. Before cricket series, every player was told by captain and team officials not to fast during matches. One of his team player did fast and was caught. Although the guilty player tried his best to hide but as he was little slow in running, the captain guessed and found out after putting some pressure on the player. That player never represented Pakistan team again. So dear student. Do your Job honestly with clear mind. Fasting is between you and God, the most merciful. Don't care about your peers, they would also be eating in washrooms.

August 4, 2013 at 1:49 pm |
  4. Steve Johnson

Someone let her know that God isn't real and maybe that will take some of the pressure off.

August 4, 2013 at 1:49 pm |
  5. SteveOfTX

Quite a number of years ago, one of my co-workers and friend was Islam and fasting during Ramadan. To show my support, I did a modified fast during that time. I know Muslims will not agree that what I did actually meant anything, but he seemed to appreciate it. The modification was that I was allowed water and nothing else during the day. And yes, there was restraint needed on my part to skip breakfast, lunch, and to wait until after sundown to eat anything. Oh, and I did not get up before sunrise to eat either. So I went from my previous evening meal to the next evening meal without having any food at all. It was more symbolic on my part, conveying that yes, I respect what you are doing, and this is what I am doing to show my support.

August 4, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
    • MagicPanties

My invisible pink unicorn farts in people's faces during Ramadan.
      Would you please show your support?

August 4, 2013 at 1:44 pm |
      • SteveOfTX

LOL, you are a riot.

August 4, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
    • Sean

Good for you. Understanding another persons culture and rituals is the key to enlightenment and wisdom!

August 4, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
    • houstonchica77057

I am a Muslim, and believe me, your kind gesture means the world to me and I am sure there are many who will read your post that will also be very touched. There needs to be more people like you in this world. If there was more compassion like this, the world would be a much better place. I pray to Allah, even if maybe you do not believe in Islam, I still pray for your peace prosperity and happiness for such a nice act. Thank you!!!!

August 4, 2013 at 1:49 pm |
      • SteveOfTX

Thank you for your kind words. May God grant peace, prosperity and happiness to you and your family also.

August 4, 2013 at 2:15 pm |
    • Inordinate

Great. Helluva story

August 4, 2013 at 1:49 pm |
    • JBodine

You're so special.

August 4, 2013 at 1:52 pm |
    • Akim

What a respect and a respectful person...u r .....SteveOfTX...

August 4, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
  6. sandra

Her responsibility should be with her patients in the first place., not with her faith, if it's incompatible religion and faith,even if it;s for one day, then she should wash dishes in somewhere and not to have a responsible job.

August 4, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
  7. MagicPanties

Anyone risking other people's lives for the sake of their fairy tales is at best, a selfish ignoramus and at worst, responsible for additional suffering and possibly death of others.

My invisible pink unicorn is praying that ya'all get a clue.

August 4, 2013 at 1:29 pm |
    • SteveOfTX

Wow. I don't buy a lot of what many religion's say, but I certainly respect and support their right to believe. Why would you want to deny anyone the hope of rescue from death by trying to crush their beliefs? Seems kind of cruel.

August 4, 2013 at 1:39 pm |
      • MagicPanties

Did you read the article? They are risking other people's lives by not being as fit for duty as they can be.
        That is selfish, it is ignorant and it is wrong.

August 4, 2013 at 1:42 pm |
        • SteveOfTX

I do agree with that. In her case there are many reasons that she should not have a religious obligation to adhere to the fast. As you pointed out, the risk to her patients and even her co-workers is a big factor. And while she may be healthy before the start of the fast, her strictly adhering to would endanger her own health. Seems like that would qualify for the health exception.
          You are right, she and others working jobs in the medical field dealing with patients, police and firefighters should be allowed an exception so they won't put others in danger.

August 4, 2013 at 1:47 pm |
    • Sean

Your lack of respect for others beliefs clearly demonstrates your ignorance and lack of compassion and understanding for others. You think it makes you wise but actually it shows to everyone else that you are anything but......

August 4, 2013 at 1:40 pm |
      • MagicPanties

So you think that for the sake of someone's religion it is ok to put another person at risk?
        Oh yeah, that's "wise".

August 4, 2013 at 1:46 pm |
      • Kevin James

Boo hoo. He doesn't respect religions. I think he's wise and I totally agree with him. If you get your panties in a twist because someone offends your religion just ignore it. It seems like Muslims always get violent when we don't think highly of their prophet. You know what? I'm sick of it brooo

August 4, 2013 at 1:46 pm |
  8. Ahmad

All the who people claim to be arguing from a position of informed reason, I suggest you get to know a practicing Muslim. Join them for a fast, and the breaking of fast, and see how they liver their life.
    If you have not done that you are just speaking from ignorance.

Hurry up you only gave a few days left in Ramadan!

August 4, 2013 at 1:23 pm |
    • MagicPanties

I suggest you get to know my invisible pink unicorn.

August 4, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
      • Ahmad

I am suggesting you join REAL people, engaged in a REAL practice with REAL benefits.

Afraid to crawl out of your prejudices?

August 4, 2013 at 1:49 pm |
    • JBodine

I suggest you spend some time getting to know how Christians live their lives...hang out with them, learn about their beliefs. I assume your religion encourages that kind of open-mindedness?

August 4, 2013 at 1:56 pm |
      • Ahmad

Yes. Have many Christian friends of many denominations. Muslims believe in the Jesus being a prophet. You will never see a Muslim say anything negative about Jesus.

I am sure most of the hateful messages on this board are not from Christians but from secular people who have no tolerance or respect for anyone who does not have the same opinion as them.

August 4, 2013 at 2:38 pm |
        • AK

That is absolute BS

August 4, 2013 at 3:44 pm |
  9. Jason

If your torn between being at your absolute most aware when tending to your patients needs, or your obligation to some imaginary being, then your in the wrong profession. Get the hell out of the way and let somebody else take the job.....

August 4, 2013 at 1:17 pm |
    • Ahmad

Hi Jason. All doctors have families and other issues like everyone else.

Next time you need a doctor I suggest you insist that you will only want to be looked after by a robot.

August 4, 2013 at 1:27 pm |
      • MagicPanties

The doctors that treat me do not starve themselves and are "fit" to provide professional services.

Any doctor that is fasting is not at the best of their ability and it is totally unfair to the patient.
        Get over your fairy tales.

August 4, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
        • Ahmad

Please look up the difference between starvation and fasting. It is not subtle.

I am sure you have been expertly helped by many health care providers who have been fasting. These may have been Jews, Muslims, Buddhists or Christians.

Next time you see one I suggest you realize that you are dealing with someone who is spiritual, and will recognize your humanity, and treat you with more respect than you seem willing to give them.

August 4, 2013 at 1:41 pm |
  10. shoaib

Good decision Jabbar. I am also a physician and muslim, I know exactly what you mean and feel. I tried fasting but taking care of patients was extremely difficult as one tends to get a little hypoglycemic and cannot concentrate. So the days I work I dont fast; days I dont work I fast.

August 4, 2013 at 1:15 pm |
    • srs

Extremists and fundamentalist (from all religion) ruin this world... I hope we can see more moderate christians, jews, and muslims like you, who use common sense and don't only follow old rules blindly. And people who have become mature enough to understand not necessary what we have been told for centuries is the truth or from God, but many of those rules are simply made by opportunists who dictate people to believe in whatever they say in order to maintain their power.

God bless you...

August 4, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

You do it too ? Wow, i guess that makes it ok for the rest of us muslims.
      And you are ...?

August 4, 2013 at 8:06 pm |
  11. zometimer

I would not want some hungry distracted physician who believes in this nonsense to be anywhere near me.

August 4, 2013 at 1:12 pm |
    • muz-chr-hin

it seems when you dont have food, you will be an utter failure!

August 4, 2013 at 1:20 pm |
      • zometimer

From what all these Haji physicians are saying, they cant handle the stress, of their own beliefs in the imaginary.

August 4, 2013 at 1:24 pm |
        • chriz

You have a lot of legit knowledge – hard to find these days!

August 4, 2013 at 1:35 pm |
      • Ahmad

Buddah, Jesus, Moses, Mohammed. This does not read like a list of failures.

Having the self-control over you own basic desires is the first step to success.

August 4, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
  12. Ahappyfarmer

Islam is a false religion. Muhammad is dead.

August 4, 2013 at 1:04 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

All religions are false, since none can verify any of their claims.

August 4, 2013 at 1:08 pm |
      • RickP

Not being able to verify something does not make it a false claim. Can you verify it is possible for life to form without being designed? No. It is important I answer the question for you so you don't get it wrong.

August 4, 2013 at 1:40 pm |
    • Ahmad

Thanks for informing us of Muhammad's death Ahappyfarmer. Muhammad was a man and a prophet. he died on 8 June 632 after a few days fever. He is buried in Madina in Saudia Arabia.

God however is very much alive.

August 4, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
    • ramadankareem

Ahappyfarmer, you're right – Jesus,Buddah,Moses – they are all alive and you've really got a point.

August 4, 2013 at 1:51 pm |
  13. tuhin

During Ramadan I am more productive than any other time. I have one less thing to worry about which is eating in day time. I eat plenty at night which is allowed. I go to work with full concentration and take all the load I can handle. The busier I am, the easier it is to pass my time. My manager is extremely happy with my performance. Making Ramadan an excuse to slack your work makes me laugh.

August 4, 2013 at 12:53 pm |
    • Arielle

Do you work 80 hours a week as a physician?

Being a cubicle rat isn't quite the same, is it?

August 4, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
      • SF

I do, did last year as a 1st year medical resident & continue to do so this year as a senior medicine resident. I have had no problems with my work, concentration or patient-related outcomes. Fasting is 100% mental. Our bodies are very capable of going without food/water from dawn until dusk if they have to. In the end its her choice and we should not judge her but just saying it IS possible to do it if you are mentally prepared to do so.

August 4, 2013 at 3:41 pm |
    • zometimer

your joke of belief makes me laugh

August 4, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
    • mmusa

Absolutely the same thing with me. When Ramadan starts, I have a few projects or a certification exam to complete, – and I get them done without faill. No lazy coffee breaks, No 1 hour lunch, No parties, No waste of time – and I dont feel hungry or craving for unncessary demands during this month .. This is one month when I can really focus and get things done. I have lost a few pounds and that extra fat, and I could allot a part of my income to the needy. Almost done with my projects and happy about it. Not to offend anyone, and may not be applicable to everyone – it works for you, me and probably many more. Happy Ramadan!

August 4, 2013 at 1:14 pm |
      • zakir

Me – with you

August 4, 2013 at 1:43 pm |
      • houstonchica77057

I am the same – if you can believe it , Allah motivated me to start an exeercise program during Ramadan (I am about 300 pounds and need to lose weight.) I have never had more energy, even with fasting, can work out aroundd 1 hr-2hrs a day and have lost 20 pounds in 15 days!!! I urge people, do not skip fasting except for people as stated in this article, people who do physical or life-threatening work... because you will find that by the middle of Ramadan you will be achieving more than you normally do. Alhamdulillah.

August 4, 2013 at 1:55 pm |
        • AK

Allah motivated you!! Now don't tell me that you believe that Allah exercised!! Lol. You guys are capable of believing anything!!

August 4, 2013 at 2:02 pm |
      • JBodine

If it's that incredibly good for you, why do you limit yourself to one month a year?

August 4, 2013 at 1:59 pm |
  14. A former Muslim

Good decision Jabbar.

That's just so sad to see in 21st century how many ignorant people still exist... Isn't fasting supposed to be a personal and spiritual practice. If the answer is yes, then what part of harming yourself and potentially others (your patients) can be spiritual? To not fast in such conditions is a good judgement and you made the correct decision. I admire you for you rational thinking and more important being brave and strong to stand against the ignorant fundamentalists and bullies who think they are allowed to think and decide on behalf of others. God bless you Jabbar...

August 4, 2013 at 12:52 pm |
    • AYR

"former" Muslim? Says it all

August 4, 2013 at 1:06 pm |
      • JBodine

A testament to man's ability to learn?

August 4, 2013 at 2:00 pm |
      • A former Muslim

Extremists and fundamentalist (from all religion) ruin this world... I hope we can see more moderate christians, jews, and muslims, who use common sense and don't only follow old rules blindly. And people who have become mature enough to understand not necessary what we have been told for centuries is the truth or from God, but many of those rules are simply made by opportunists who dictate people to believe in whatever they say in order to maintain their power.

God bless you.

August 4, 2013 at 2:32 pm |
  15. furrycatherder

This article is seriously in need of correction. The Qu'ran clearly states when and how a Muslim is permitted to refrain from fasting, and what they must do if the cannot fast.

"But if any of you is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed number (of Ramadan days) should be made up from days later. For those who cannot do this except with hardship is a ransom: the feeding of one that is indigent.... Allah intends every ease for you; He does not want to put you to difficulties...." – Qur'an 2:184-185

I agree with the people who've suggested this article is self-serving. The writer doesn't mention giving food to the poor, which is what Islam requires of those who cannot fast. It only talks about how tough is being unable to go from sun-up to sun-down without food. Perhaps the writer should consider how hard it is for millions of people in the United States who routinely go without food from sun-up to sun-down because they cannot afford three meals a day, plus snacks in between.

BTW – I'm Jewish. We have the same sort of exemptions for fasting during holy days.

August 4, 2013 at 12:49 pm |
    • AYR

Thank you for an accurate and intewlligent response. You nailed it! Salaam and Shalom!

August 4, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
      • Johncatao

DUMB and DUMBER

August 4, 2013 at 1:30 pm |
    • Mohammad

Thank you for your post. I always thought that Judaism and Islam have much in common than any other two religions in the whole world starting from worshiping the same God (not Jesus), going through praying and ending in day to day do’s and don’t including food. Jesus never claimed to be God and even advised against easting pork but the Romans chose mythical trinity and changed much to appease pagan worshipers. As for Ramadan I always do my physical exam right after it and the Doctor says, what is your secret, keep doing what you are doing, it’s working great and it never interfered with my job which is demanding job

August 4, 2013 at 1:25 pm |
    • Mahzabin

Thank you for explaining so well. I'd not have been able to do so. The problem is so many Muslims don't research, and just assume things by their own or what society makes them assume. Why not do some research, for example read the Quran and LEARN what it says about fasting and other obligations, instead of ranting about why you're fasting or why not!

August 4, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
    • friendindeed

Thanks and appreciate the insight

August 4, 2013 at 1:37 pm |
  16. Tinku

For all those who are posting negative comments. Know that fasting is prescribed in all religions and faiths by God. You are well aware that its the Muslims that practice it best with all their heart and soul .... so to me it seems that you are just plain jealous. So just grow up and accept it.

August 4, 2013 at 12:48 pm |
    • John Sharp

Grow up and accept some ridiculous ancient practice based on a belief in an imaginary friend?

I think you are confused about who needs to do the growing up.

Religion: Together we can find the cure.

August 4, 2013 at 12:56 pm |
  17. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

August 4, 2013 at 12:48 pm |
    • Observer

Islam isn't healthy for children and other living things either.

August 4, 2013 at 12:49 pm |
      • mmusa

sorry, you are no observer

August 4, 2013 at 12:58 pm |
        • John Sharp

It doesn't matter, he speaks the truth.

Religion poisons everything.

August 4, 2013 at 1:00 pm |
        • Truth Prevails :-)

We just need to look at 9-11 to know that Observer is right.

August 4, 2013 at 1:02 pm |
        • friendindeed

mm – You are dumb and no nothing ! They (above and below) know it all.. Say sorry for your post !

August 4, 2013 at 1:40 pm |
        • friendindeed

"Truth" prevails quotes " WE" – means what? – the world with boundaries as Canada and Mexico?

August 4, 2013 at 1:42 pm |
    • bk1024

Yeah, it raises false hopes in the mid of the one praying.

August 4, 2013 at 1:02 pm |
      • furrycatherder

That's only because Christians believe the answer to all prayer is "Yes". In Judaism, we thank G-d for what we have. We don't demand from G-d what we don't have.

August 4, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
    • LiarPrefails :-}

Remind us again which part of canada did 9/11 occur in?

August 4, 2013 at 1:10 pm |
    • Observer

Nothing worse than false hope in the "mid".
      Prayer to God is valid if one prays to God, the muslims allah is not God.

August 4, 2013 at 1:22 pm |
      • amhere

hey observer – who are you talking about – ME?

August 4, 2013 at 1:46 pm |
  18. Johnny Me 1st

IM FIRST TO POST! YAY!!!!!!

August 4, 2013 at 12:48 pm |
    • Alias

thanks Johnny, this blog really needed one more idiot.

August 4, 2013 at 1:26 pm |
  19. Ray

She is saving lives which required complete concentration which required proper amount of nutrition daily, right there is a good enough reason for her not to fast. But to suggest that she is worried that she will be judged by fellow Muslims is an inane excuse to make herself look and feel better. Majority of the Muslims understand her job requirement, and majority of them are not as daft as herself.
    No one in US or Canada care or have time to care if you fast or not, and especially she is spending 80 + hours in hospital she hardly get to see or spend time with anyone from outside hospital.
    This article is nothing but to continuation of spreading paranoia against certain group to further their agenda.

August 4, 2013 at 12:40 pm |
  20. Reality

Only for the eyes of our sister and brother Muslims:

From the studies of Armstrong, Rushdie, Hirsi Ali, Richardson and Bayhaqi----–

The Five Steps To Deprogram 1400 Years of Islamic Myths:

( –The Steps take less than two minutes to finish- simply amazing, two minutes to bring peace and rationality to over one billion lost souls- Priceless!!!)

Are you ready?

Using "The 77 Branches of Islamic "faith" a collection compiled by Imam Bayhaqi as a starting point. In it, he explains the essential virtues that reflect true "faith" (iman) through related Qur’anic verses and Prophetic sayings." i.e. a nice summary of the Koran and Islamic beliefs.

The First Five of the 77 Branches:

"1. Belief in Allah"

aka as God, Yahweh, Zeus, Jehovah, Mother Nature, etc. should be added to your self-cleansing neurons.

"2. To believe that everything other than Allah was non-existent. Thereafter, Allah Most High created these things and subsequently they came into existence."

Evolution and the Big Bang or the "Gi-b G-nab" (when the universe starts to recycle) are more plausible and the "akas" for Allah should be included if you continue to be a "crea-tionist".

"3. To believe in the existence of angels."

A major item for neuron cleansing. Angels/de-vils are the mythical creations of ancient civilizations, e.g. Hitt-ites, to explain/define natural events, contacts with their gods, big birds, sudden winds, protectors during the dark nights, etc. No "pretty/ug-ly wingy thingies" ever visited or talked to Mohammed, Jesus, Mary or Joseph or Joe Smith. Today we would classify angels as f–airies and "tin–ker be-lls". Modern de-vils are classified as the de-mons of the de-mented.

"4. To believe that all the heavenly books that were sent to the different prophets are true. However, apart from the Quran, all other books are not valid anymore."

Another major item to delete. There are no books written in the spirit state of Heaven (if there is one) just as there are no angels to write/publish/distribute them. The Koran, OT, NT etc. are simply books written by humans for humans.

Prophets were invented by ancient scribes typically to keep the un-educated masses in line. Today we call them for-tune tellers.

Prophecies are also invali-dated by the natural/God/Allah gifts of Free Will and Future.

"5. To believe that all the prophets are true. However, we are commanded to follow the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings
    be upon him) alone."

Mohammed spent thirty days "fasting" (the Ramadan legend) in a hot cave before his first contact with Allah aka God etc. via a "pretty wingy thingy". Common sense demands a neuron deletion of #5. #5 is also the major source of Islamic vi-olence i.e. turning Mohammed's "fast, hunger-driven" hallu-cinations into horrible reality for unbelievers.

Walk these Five Steps and we guarantee a complete recovery from your Islamic ways!!!!

Unfortunately, there are not many Muslim commentators/readers on this blog so the "two-minute" cure is not getting to those who need it. If you have a Muslim friend, send him a copy and help save the world.

Analogous steps are available at your request for deprogramming the myths of Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism and Paganism..

From Google Translate:

من الدراسات من أرمسترونغ، رشدي، هيرسي علي، ريتشاردسون والبيهقي ----–

في خمس خطوات لأبطل تأثير 1400 سنة من الأساطير الإسلامية:

(-خطوات اتخاذ أقل من دقيقتين لإنهاء-ببساطة مدهشة، دقيقتين لإحلال السلام والعقلانية إلى أكثر من مليار فقدت النفوس لا تقدر بثمن!)

هل أنت مستعد؟

استخدام "الفروع الإسلامية 77 من" الإيمان "مجموعة الإمام البيهقي المترجمة كنقطة انطلاق. في ذلك، وهو ما يفسر الفضائل الأساسية التي تعكس صحيح" الإيمان "(إيمان) من خلال الآيات القرآنية ذات الصلة، وأحاديث نبوية." أي ملخص لطيفة من المعتقدات القرآن والإسلامية.

الخمسة الأولى من الفروع 77:

"1. الإيمان بالله"

كما يعرف أيضا باسم الله، الرب، زيوس، الرب، الطبيعة الأم، وما إلى ذلك يجب أن تضاف إلى الخلايا العصبية التطهير الذاتي الخاص.

"2. إلى الاعتقاد بأن كل شيء غيرها مما كان الله غير موجود. بعد ذلك، الله سبحانه وتعالى خلق هذه الأشياء، وبعد ذلك جاءوا إلى حيز الوجود."

التطور والانفجار الكبير أو "غي ب G-NAB" (عند بدء الكون لإعادة تدوير) هي أكثر ترجيحا وينبغي أن تدرج في "المندرجة" في سبيل الله إذا كنت لا تزال تشكل "بجمعية العقارات، tionist".

"3. إلى الاعتقاد في وجود الملائكة."

A بندا رئيسيا لتطهير الخلايا العصبية. الملائكة / دي VILS هي الإبداعات الأسطورية من الحضارات القديمة، على سبيل المثال HITT خائبي، لشرح / تعريف الأحداث الطبيعية، والاتصالات مع آلهتهم، والطيور الكبيرة، والرياح المفاجئة، وحماة خلال الليالي المظلمة، وما إلى ذلك لا "ثينجيس افسح المجال ل جميلة / UG-LY" بزيارة أي وقت مضى أو تحدثت إلى محمد، يسوع، مريم أو يوسف أو جو سميث. اليوم سوف نصنف الملائكة كما F-airies و "القصدير كير تكون LLS". تصنف الحديثة دو VILS مثل دي مونس هيئة اجتثاث mented.

"4. إلى الاعتقاد بأن جميع الكتب السماوية التي تم إرسالها إلى الأنبياء مختلفة صحيحا. ومع ذلك، وبصرف النظر عن القرآن، كل الكتب الأخرى ليست صالحة بعد الآن."

ومن البنود الرئيسية في حذفها. لا يوجد كتب في ولاية روح السماء (إذا كان هناك واحد) فقط حيث لم تعد هناك ملائكة لكتابة / نشر / توزيعها. القرآن، OT، NT وما هي ببساطة الكتب التي كتبت من قبل البشر للبشر.

اخترعت الأنبياء من قبل الكتبة القديمة عادة للحفاظ على الجماهير غير المتعلمة في الخط. اليوم ونحن ندعو لهم فرز الأصوات للتناغم.

النبوءات كما invali مؤرخة من قبل الطبيعية / الله / الله الهدايا من الإرادة الحرة والمستقبل.

"5. إلى الاعتقاد بأن جميع الأنبياء صحيحا. ومع ذلك، ونحن مأمورون اتباع النبي محمد (عليه الصلاة والسلام
    صلى الله عليه وسلم) وحده ".

قضى محمد ثلاثين يوما "الصيام" (أسطورة رمضان) في كهف الساخن قبل أول اتصال له مع الله الملقب الخ الله عبر "ممتزوجات افسح المجال ل جميلة". الحس السليم يتطلب حذف الخلايا العصبية من # 5. # 5 هو أيضا المصدر الرئيسي للالاسلامي VI-olence أي تحول محمد "سريع، يحركها الجوع" hallu-cinations إلى واقع فظيع لغير المؤمنين.

المشي هذه خمس خطوات، ونحن نضمن الانتعاش الكامل من الطرق الإسلامية الخاصة بك!!

للأسف، لا توجد العديد من المعلقين مسلم / القراء على هذا بلوق لذلك "مدة دقيقتين" العلاج هو عدم الحصول على لأولئك الذين في حاجة إليها. إذا كان لديك صديق مسلم، ترسل له نسخة وتساعد في إنقاذ العالم.

تتوفر خطوات مماثلة في طلبك للحصول على deprogramming الأساطير المسيحية واليهودية والبوذية والهندوسية والوثنية ..

August 4, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
    • meki60

you people are the true moron tribe remaining from olden times

August 4, 2013 at 12:37 pm |
      • Ash

And who appointed you as a G-d to judge others and what should and should not believe?? the only moron here is a PEOPLE LIKE YOU who judge others based on one single fact (if they are different the they are less than me!) Hitler's view!

August 4, 2013 at 12:42 pm |
        • Lindsey

Your hysterics are touching. Invoking Godwin's Law? Puhleeze.

August 4, 2013 at 12:45 pm |
        • Ash

@ Lindsy, Godwin's Law my Arsss...your views my Arsssss

August 4, 2013 at 2:17 pm |
    • chuckmartel

what a dark age cretin. you, your, brothers and sisters do not belong here. go to your lands of 'spring'.

August 4, 2013 at 12:59 pm |
      • Ash

And who the hell are you to decide who or who can not stay! you are NOTHING!

August 4, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
      • Ash

Your FB tells says it all! you are PARANOID and a twisted person who lives in a Cave and afraid of the world...

August 4, 2013 at 2:25 pm |
    • Reality

What instigated the attack on the Twin Towers, Flight 93 and the Pentagon?

And what drives today's 24/7 mosque/imam-planned acts of terror and horror?

The koran, Mohammed's book of death for all infidels and Muslim domination of the world by any means.

Muslims must clean up this book removing said passages admitting that they are based on the Gabriel myth and therefore obviously the hallucinations and/or lies of Mohammed.

Then we can talk about the safety and location of mosques and what is taught therein.

Until then, no Muslim can be trusted anytime or anywhere..................................

August 4, 2013 at 3:13 pm |
    • Reality

Putting the kibosh on all religion and religious fasting in less than ten seconds: Priceless !!!

• There was no Easter i.e. Christianity completely fails as a religion.

• There was no Moroni i.e. Mormonism is nothing more than a business cult.

• A constant cycle of reincarnation until enlightenment is reached and belief that various beings (angels?, tinkerbells? etc) exist that we, as mortals, cannot comprehend makes for a no on Sikhism.

Added details available upon written request.

e.g. Taoism

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

August 4, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
      • Voice of Reason

Apparently you believe in the theory that if you dont see it, it aint there.
        Well. have you seen your brains ? Are you really sure that its there ? !

August 4, 2013 at 8:02 pm |
        • Reality

Actually, I have multiple MRI scans of my brain. All is well.

August 4, 2013 at 11:22 pm |