home
RSS
August 13th, 2013

Priest from Missouri accident revealed

By Steve Almasy, CNN

(CNN) – Katie Lentz finally knows the identity of the Catholic priest who came to her side during a life-threatening accident on a two-lane Missouri highway this month.

Turns out, it was a Father Dowling mystery. The Rev. Patrick Dowling, that is.

Dowling, a priest since 1982, revealed in a comment on a story posted on the National Catholic Register that he was the man who prayed over Lentz, 19, while emergency workers treated her for injuries after an August 4 accident.

Dowling wrote in the comment, which has since been deleted: "I absolved and anointed Katie, and, at her request, prayed that her leg would not hurt. Then I stepped aside to where some rescue personnel and the pilot were waiting, and prayed the rosary silently."

Read the full story here.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Catholic Church • Christianity

1. ME II

Don't want to be dismissive of the victim's tragedy, but what about the miracle that her car would be hit by an drunk driver head on and then that the emergency equipment first used would fail or wear out?

August 13, 2013 at 11:55 am |
    • AE

That is a very good point.

August 13, 2013 at 12:22 pm |
      • Athy

Wow, AE. You missed it completely, didn't you.

August 13, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
        • AE

Hu? Was his point: where was the miracle before the tragedy? That is what I was saying is a good point.

August 13, 2013 at 2:45 pm |
    • ME II

@AE,
      Not sure why you think so, it appears to me that, if anything, a supposed God was out to kill this poor woman.

August 13, 2013 at 12:46 pm |
      • A Frayed Knot

Yes, ME II, they were blatantly thwarting the "will of God", weren't they? They prevented this woman from "going to the arms of Jesus". It seems as if lots of medical and scientific intervention does this.

It's nothing new, though, Benjamin Franklin was roundly castigated by Christians for his discoveries about lightning and the invention of his lightning rod:

"As late as 1770 many religious Americans still felt that, since thunder and lightning were tokens of the divine displeasure, it was impiety to prevent their doing their full work. It took a few decades for the devout to abandon their religious prejudices regarding the use of the lightning rod, but eventually it was demonstrated to all but the most dense that both the "vengeance of God" and the "Prince of the Power of the Air" were forced to retreat before the lightning-rod of a heretic." – A. D. White, A History of the Warfare of Science with Theology

August 13, 2013 at 1:01 pm |
    • AE

Something almost killed her. I think it was a drunk driver, not God.

August 13, 2013 at 12:51 pm |
      • Richard Cranium

You do not know that. The drunk driver could have been inspired by god, if there was such a thing.

August 13, 2013 at 12:54 pm |
        • AE

The drunk driver is responsible for his actions. Even if he imagined he was doing God's will by doing one of the more selfish things I can imagine: driving drunk.

August 13, 2013 at 1:04 pm |
        • Richard Cranium

Ae
          Maybe he was doing gods will, and didn't know it. That's part of the problem with believing in something like gods, how could one possibly know when or if the god actually had anything to do with it or not?
          It is only in your mind you determine the difference and you could and most likely are very wrong.

August 13, 2013 at 1:22 pm |
        • AE

Something tells my mind that he was not doing God's will.

August 13, 2013 at 1:30 pm |
        • OTOH

AE,

We can tell so much about a person by how he says his god behaves... out of a huge array of possibilities. You are probably a really nice person, and your god is peachy; but many, both now and over the eons, have vastly differing and diametrically contrary opinions about this "God's" behavior, and they are every bit as adamant that their take is the true one.

August 13, 2013 at 2:13 pm |
        • ME II

@AE
          "Something tells my mind that he was not doing God's will."

And if something tell my mind that he was doing God's will, what then?

August 13, 2013 at 2:25 pm |
        • AE

–And if something tell my mind that he was doing God's will, what then?–

I don't know. Go drive drunk?

August 13, 2013 at 2:46 pm |
        • ME II

@AE,
          "I don't know. Go drive drunk?"

Ah, now perhaps you see the weakness of such an argument.

August 13, 2013 at 2:55 pm |

August 13, 2013 at 2:59 pm |
        • Johnny

Yes perhaps god sent the drunk driver to kill this person so that they don't kill 500 people 6 months from now.

August 13, 2013 at 3:01 pm |
        • ME II

AE
          "That a human being might just end up doing what he/she wants, regardless of what God desires?"

No, that "God's desires" depend on what human beings want. Although, I suspect you knew what I meant.

August 13, 2013 at 3:25 pm |
        • AE

That is what it usually entails. Yes.

But, apparently Jesus has a way to know God's will.

August 13, 2013 at 3:35 pm |
        • ME II

@AE,
          Not sure that even makes sense. "God's desire" depends on what man wants, but Jesus has a way to know Gods' will??

August 13, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
    • ME II

Something saved her. I think it was Emergency personnel not God.

August 13, 2013 at 12:53 pm |
      • AE

All while the victim was praying out loud, and asking others to pray with her.

The priest expressed grat.itude for the rescue workers, as would I.

August 13, 2013 at 1:03 pm |
        • ME II

So?

August 13, 2013 at 2:23 pm |
        • ME II

"Th study proved God is not a cosmic vending machine (insert prayer) or light switch."

August 13, 2013 at 2:28 pm |
      • Lycidas

"The priest said there really wasn't any mystery to it, and he told a deputy before he left who he was. He took no credit for saving Lentz's life. He credited that to the calm of two highway patrol officers and a rescue team that worked "harmoniously.""

August 13, 2013 at 1:46 pm |
  2. R.M. Goodswell

The appearance of anyone – anyone- to somebody that has suffered massive trauma is comforting, be they a priest, biker, etc. because literally it means the victim now has a chance. The priest did his best using what he knew to provide comfort, just like anyone would...I may not know a ton of religious mumbo jumbo, but if I could do nothing else, I would provide reassurance that real help was very near. It was the priest's presence and his kindness that help the lady...NOT his prayers.

August 13, 2013 at 11:52 am |
    • Mike from CT

But it wasn't just the victims testimony but that of the EMT also, whose equipment was failing.

August 13, 2013 at 12:31 pm |
      • R.M. Goodswell

There is always a ration explanation Mike. There are no miracles and prayer is hogwash. If God were looking out that day, the drunk would have missed her car....But then that wouldn't have allowed for a public 'miracle' would it?

As far as the rescue workers go, some people are story tellers and feed off each other....who doesn't like a good mystery?
        Ive worked with many people that are very competent when the pressure is on, but after the fact, the way they describe the event isn't what I observed.

August 13, 2013 at 1:28 pm |
        • Mike from CT

"There are no miracles and prayer is hogwash."
          Great, provide your evidence for your as.sertion and don't hide behind "I don't need to show responsibility in my life and prove a negative" you do if you are going to as.sert it

Yes exactly, but you forgot all the times you didn't get in a car accident.

August 13, 2013 at 3:57 pm |
        • R.M. Goodswell

Proof? If you looked up the statistics for everyday accidents you would find that believers and non believers die at the same rate. Same with disease – when an epidemic hits those exposed die at the same rate Mike, be they believer or non believer. You would think that God would be looking out for his chosen a little bit more – you know, to kind of show some return on the prayers and worship.

Instead we get God's will, God's plan etc. .....

August 13, 2013 at 9:55 pm |
  3. flying spaghetti monster

Goooood morning fellow infidels! Good morning also to all you believers. I had a delicious breakfast this am, and I'll tell you, if there's one miracle I do believe in, it's hot sauce on eggs. How's everybody doing today?

August 13, 2013 at 11:47 am |
    • Akira

That truly is manna.

August 13, 2013 at 12:09 pm |
  4. Alias

Someone needs to mention the excellent work done by the engineers who designed that car, and good old fashioned luck.
    If she had been in an american made car the priest would have given the last rights to a dead body.

Let's all thank god for german luxury cars!

August 13, 2013 at 11:31 am |
    • Reality

Please cite reputable references to support your claims.

August 13, 2013 at 12:11 pm |
  5. TheVocalAtheist

Reassurance that your God is taking care of you has a calming effect. Just knowing at any second you may be dead but you will forever live in the glory of his grace. I don't believe it. The mind is very powerful and prone to believe in things that don't make sense, so I'll take the pain medication, thank you very much.

August 13, 2013 at 11:03 am |
  6. ME II

While it is commendable of this Priest to diffuse the story by coming forward, I think it would behoove many people to realize that many, if not all, stories of the miraculous are begun with similar misunderstandings and mis-remembered events.

August 13, 2013 at 10:31 am |
    • Richard Cranium

Bingo.

August 13, 2013 at 12:52 pm |
  7. Doc Vestibule

This is why Starships have an emergency medical hologram and not a counsellor hologram.

August 13, 2013 at 10:25 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

Hmmm..... Let's compare Counselor Troi to "the doctor" from Voyager.

Troi, in the first seasons short skirts......

Can't the holodeck combine both "The Doctor" with the looks of Troi 🙂

August 13, 2013 at 12:38 pm |
    • Bones

Dammit Jim, I'm a Doctor, Not a priest!

August 13, 2013 at 12:50 pm |
  8. myweightinwords

If nothing else, his prayer and attention probably helped her remain calm, which is an important aspect in a situation like this one.

That is what prayer does best, it gives those who need comfort a moment of calm and those who feel helpless something to focus on.

August 13, 2013 at 10:11 am |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Yes, if I was in serious danger and/or pain and somebody began praying for me, I'd focus on what a cretinous moron he/she is.

August 13, 2013 at 10:18 am |
      • myweightinwords

It would seem that the victim asked for prayer, so I doubt she would find him a cretinous moron.

The EMTs were better equipped to help her physically. He was wise enough to recognize that and step away once they were on seen.

To be fair, I don't want someone who doesn't know first aid sticking their hands into my broken body in an effort to help, especially not when professionals are on scene.

August 13, 2013 at 11:02 am |
    • AE

And the victim asked for someone to pray with her. And he showed up.

August 13, 2013 at 10:53 am |
      • Doobs

According to the story, she asked him to pray for her after he stopped at the accident scene. She didn't pray for someone to show up to pray for her and then a priest appeared.

August 14, 2013 at 10:48 am |
  9. Brother Maynard

QQ

Did Katie, or for that matter any accident victim, have a better chance of survival when/ if:
    A) ONLY the rescue workers showed up and did what they are trained to do
    B) ONLY the priest showed up and prayed

Support your answer

August 13, 2013 at 10:10 am |
    • guest

I'm sorry, Dave, but it is offten that x-rays are taken just before surgery, it has happened to me twice, I have no idea why the x-rays were taken. And the same happened to my wife when she had cancer.

August 13, 2013 at 10:51 am |
    • Mike from CT

B then A

Because even the first responders admitted their equipment was failing them until he was allowed in.

August 13, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
      • ME II

"was failing them until he was allowed in."

...and it was still failing. Another team showed up with fresh equipment.

August 13, 2013 at 12:43 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

What about those of us in the middle are open minded enough to desire B and A? Is there only to be one or the other?

August 13, 2013 at 12:41 pm |
  10. tallulah13

It sounds like the priest was more appreciative of the actions of the police and rescue workers than the author of the article or the believers on this blog. At least he has the grace to give credit where it's due: To the human beings who did all the actual life saving work.

August 13, 2013 at 10:00 am |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Humility is a key tenet of piety. If only more believers were truly pious instead of zealous.

August 13, 2013 at 10:06 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

Exactly.
      No doubt he did the victim a service by helping to keep her calm while she was in shock, but it was the emergency response personnel who saved her life.
      The results would have been the same had a holistic healer performed reiki while awaiting the EMTs. Neither re-alligning her chakra nor invoking the name of Christ makes a lick of difference when it comes to healing wounds, but offering solace to the injured is still laudable.

August 13, 2013 at 10:18 am |
    • guest

Yes, tallulaha, I believe in miracles, but I’m not if this was a miracle, only those standing by could say that, however there are those on this forum that would not believe in a miracle if it happened to them. For instance, not long ago a man of our church was diagnosed with lung cancer; we had special prayer for him. Before he went into surgery more x-rays were taken, no cancer could be found. The surgery was canceled. Doctors just call it “spontaneous healing” because they can’t explain it, it seems they can’t use the word ‘miracle’. What would certain persons on this forum call it if they could not explain it? After all, what is a miracle?

August 13, 2013 at 10:30 am |
      • guest

Opps typo

August 13, 2013 at 10:32 am |
      • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Umm, I'd call it a misdiagnosis.

August 13, 2013 at 10:33 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Wait, considering he was goin for surgery, it's highly unlikely that they weren't certain of his cancer. These two articles look at possible causes for spontaneous remission that don't involve Bronze Age mythology.

Hobohm U (February 2005). "Fever therapy revisited". Br. J. Cancer 92 (3): 421–5.
          Hobohm U (October 2001). "Fever and cancer in perspective". Cancer Immunol. Immunother. 50 (8): 391–6.

August 13, 2013 at 10:38 am |
        • Akira

August 13, 2013 at 10:42 am |
        • Alias

Don't make too many assumptions about the 'surgery'.
          There are a lot of procedures they can do as part of the diagnosis process.

August 13, 2013 at 11:25 am |
      • Doc Vestibule

o The John Templeton Foundation funded a 10 year, $2.4 million dollar study involving 1,800 cardiac patients to measure the effectiveness of intecessory prayer.
        The patients were broken into three groups. Two were prayed for; the third was not. Half the patients who received the prayers were told that they were being prayed for; half were told that they might or might not receive prayers.
        Analyzing complications in the 30 days after the operations, the researchers found no differences between those patients who were prayed for and those who were not.
        Over the longer term, patients who knew they were being prayed for had a higher rate of post-operative complications like abnormal heart rhythms, perhaps because of the expectations the prayers created, the researchers suggested.
        A 1997 study at the University of New Mexico, involving 40 alcoholics in rehabilitation, found that the men and women who knew they were being prayed for actually fared worse.

August 13, 2013 at 10:36 am |
    • AE

The victim and rescue workers expressed extreme grat.itude for what the priest did.

August 13, 2013 at 11:14 am |
      • tallulah13

Good for them. My question is where is the gratitude from the believers on this blog for the rescue workers who actually saved her life?

August 13, 2013 at 11:18 am |
        • AE

So you imagine if you asked the rescue workers they would express feelings of being slighted?

August 13, 2013 at 11:29 am |
  11. Sean

What really mattered was that Katie's life was saved miraculously that day, and everyone around her thought she would be dead including the first responders.
    Looks like a miracle for Katie and am sure Katie will remember this for the rest of her life!!!
    This miracle would go on to not only bless Katie and her family but those who were around her and also bless all those first responders who were a witness to this event.

August 13, 2013 at 9:51 am |
    • Junior

Amen

August 13, 2013 at 9:52 am |
    • Honey Badger Don't Care

Her life was NOT saved miraculously. It was saved by the skill and dedication of the medics that treated her on the scene and the doctors and nurses at the hospital.

If that jack azz would have rendered first aid instead of talking to himself she would have stood a better chance of living. He could just as easily been responsible for her dying by him not providing aid.

August 13, 2013 at 9:55 am |
      • AE

"the medics that treated her"

"I think it's a miracle," Raymond Reed, fire chief of New London, told USA Today. "I would say whether it was an angel that was sent to us in the form of a priest or a priest that became our angel, I don't know. Either way, I'm good with it."

August 13, 2013 at 11:15 am |
        • Honey Badger Don't Care

So what is your point? Is it that if any lay person says that something is a miracle then that makes it fact? There are no miracles and prayer doesn’t work.

August 13, 2013 at 12:29 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Miracle?

August 13, 2013 at 9:56 am |
    • tallulah13

The ingratitude of christians is astonishing. The girl probably would have survived without the priest, but she most likely would have died without the rescue workers. How about some thanks to the people who did the hard work (including the survivor) instead of using this incident to bolster your own belief?

August 13, 2013 at 10:05 am |
      • AE

Some of the rescue worker and the victim seem to disagree with you.

August 13, 2013 at 11:16 am |
        • tallulah13

That's the disgusting part. How sad is it that people would rather call it a miracle and feel special about themselves than give thanks to the real human endeavor that saved a life? Next time, they should just call the priest and see what happens without human intervention.

August 13, 2013 at 11:23 am |
        • AE

I'm pretty sure the family, workes and victim expressed grat.itude for the workers, too.

August 13, 2013 at 11:30 am |
        • AE

–Next time, they should just call the priest and see what happens without human intervention.–

The victim, in a way, called for the priest in this situation.

August 13, 2013 at 11:32 am |
        • tallulah13

In what way did she call for the priest? I suspect survival was her biggest priority.

August 13, 2013 at 11:38 am |
        • AE

After spending 45 minutes trying to free the victim. The victim remained calm, despite the dire situation. She talked about her church and her studies toward a dental degree. But her vital signs were beginning to fail.

The victim asked if someone would pray with her and a voice said, “I will.”

And the priest began to pray with her.

August 13, 2013 at 11:45 am |
        • tallulah13

A truck driver could have prayed with her, or anyone. A priest was not needed. In fact, his presence could have been detrimental had she decided that, being absolved by a priest, it was okay to die.

I am not disparaging the actions of the priest. I'm just saying that the support this woman needed could have come from any caring person. There was no miracle. Just human action and interaction.

August 13, 2013 at 12:58 pm |
  12. DFGHDGHSDFGSDGF

EGGS AND CHIKEN GROW WITH NANO TECNOLOGY IN LESS THAN A WEEK.
    WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU EAT?.
    MAKE GROWTH, IRRADIATE YOUR BRAIN OR HAMMER YOUR ORGANS.
    WHY OBAMA AND DAGUTHERS TO SEND THE EVIDENC OF THE CRIMES, SAYS.

WE ARE VERY LEGAL........
    HUEVOS Y POLLOS QUE CRECEN CON NANO COMPUTADORAS.
    EN MENOS DE UNA SEMANA.
    QUE PASA CUNADO LOS COMEN, LOS HACEN CRECER, LOS IRRADIAN O LES ESTALLAN LOS ORGANOS.

POR QUE OBAMA Y LAS HIJAS A LAS QUE SE LES ENVIO LAS PRUEBAS DE LOS CRIMENES QUE REALIZAN DICEN.

QUE ES MUY LEGAL........
    DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
    COMENTARIO POR HORA CON TODAS LAS PLATAFOMAS HACKEADAS.

August 13, 2013 at 9:48 am |
    • My Dog is a jealous Dog

QUE ES MUY LOCO

August 13, 2013 at 11:29 am |
  13. Junior

Anointing of the sick is a sacrament that our blessed Lord Jesus Christ gave us. Bless Father Dowling and all Christian clergy who still maintain compassion despite being attacked by anti theists.

August 13, 2013 at 9:44 am |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

They love the laying on of hands more than anything.

August 13, 2013 at 9:49 am |
      • Junior

an act of charity will always trump a plethora of negative comments.

August 13, 2013 at 9:51 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

So you don't find the laying on of hands charitable? I'd have to pay a street walker $100 for that kind of action but clergy give it to me for free. That's what I call charity.

August 13, 2013 at 9:55 am |
      • Honey Badger Don't Care

Especially to choir boys.

August 13, 2013 at 9:56 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

How many Catholic Priests does it take to screw in a light bulb?

None, Catholic Priests only screw alter boys.

August 13, 2013 at 10:00 am |
        • Dippy

Altar, not alter.

August 13, 2013 at 5:17 pm |
    • tallulah13

The sacrament may give comfort to those who believe in such things. I can see how it may provide a psychological benefit, but in the end it is the human brain and it's chemistry that creates that benefit. Magic is children and the naive.

August 13, 2013 at 10:09 am |
      • Junior

magic is an illusion

August 13, 2013 at 6:07 pm |
  14. DFGHDGHSDFGSDGF

EGGS AND CHIKEN GROW WITH NANO TECNOLOGY IN LESS THAN A WEEK.
    WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU EAT?.
    MAKE GROWTH, IRRADIATE YOUR BRAIN OR HAMMER YOUR ORGANS.
    WHY OBAMA AND DAGUTHERS TO SEND THE EVIDENC OF THE CRIMES, SAYS.

WE ARE VERY LEGAL........
    HUEVOS Y POLLOS QUE CRECEN CON NANO COMPUTADORAS.
    EN MENOS DE UNA SEMANA.

QUE ES MUY LEGAL........
    DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
    COMENTARIO POR HORA CON TODAS LAS PLATAFOMAS HACKEADAS.

August 13, 2013 at 9:42 am |
  15. DFGHDGH

EGGS AND CHIKEN GROW WITH NANO TECNOLOGY IN LESS THAN A WEEK.
    WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU EAT?.
    MAKE GROWTH, IRRADIATE YOUR BRAIN OR HAMMER YOUR ORGANS.
    WHY OBAMA AND DAGUTHERS TO SEND THE EVIDENC OF THE CRIMES, SAYS.

WE ARE VERY LEGAL........
    HUEVOS Y POLLOS QUE CRECEN CON NANO COMPUTADORAS.
    EN MENOS DE UNA SEMANA.

QUE ES MUY LEGAL........
    DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

August 13, 2013 at 9:41 am |
  16. DFGHDGH

EGGS AND CHIKEN GROW WITH NANO TECNOLOGY IN LESS THAN A WEEK.
    WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU EAT?.
    MAKE GROWTH, IRRADIATE YOUR BRAIN OR HAMMER YOUR ORGANS.
    WHY OBAMA AND DAGUTHERS TO SEND THE EVIDENC OF THE CRIMES, SAYS.

WE ARE VERY LEGAL........
    HUEVOS Y POLLOS QUE CRECEN CON NANO COMPUTADORAS.
    EN MENOS DE UNA SEMANA.

QUE ES MUY LEGAL........
    DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

August 13, 2013 at 9:40 am |
  17. Honey Badger Don't Care

Instead of praying why didnt this priest do something useful? It's a shame that people can be so delusional to believe this carp.

August 13, 2013 at 9:21 am |
    • Bill Deacon

Haters gotta hate

August 13, 2013 at 9:29 am |
      • truthprevails1

How is that hate? The priest's duty, as with any of us, is not to pray in the time of life vs death but to try to do all he can to ensure her life continues...2 hands working accomplish more than a thousand clasped in prayer.

August 13, 2013 at 9:33 am |
      • Saraswati

The absolute last thing an emergency worker wants is a non-professional trying to "help" in these circu mstances, unless they are very, very short handed. I doubt he hurt anything with his prayer. I don't think it does anything, but I certainly don't see anything grossly wrong this guy did.

August 13, 2013 at 9:48 am |
        • ME II

Until, the next accident where someone decides to interfere with, or delay calling, first responders in favor of prayer.

August 13, 2013 at 10:46 am |
  18. truthprevails1

He can be thanked for staying her side. The emergency personnel get the credit for saving her life.

August 13, 2013 at 9:13 am |
  19. Brother Maynard

Why, if prayer works, did the priest 'step aside'?
    Seems to be that prayer works the best when rescue personnel are at the scene doing what they have been trained.

August 13, 2013 at 8:57 am |
    • Junior

because even Father Dowling knows the power of prayer in action.

August 13, 2013 at 9:45 am |
      • Brother Maynard

So the 'power' in action that prayer has, is to get out of the way while the rescue workers do their job.

August 13, 2013 at 9:51 am |
        • Junior

There was no indication from the report that Father Dowling was obstructing the relief efforts.

August 13, 2013 at 6:09 pm |
        • Doobs

No one said he did, junior.

August 14, 2013 at 10:56 am |
      • Doobs

I'm glad he was able to give her comfort, but that's what any decent person would do if they came upon an injured person.

August 13, 2013 at 10:18 am |
      • ME II

Absolutely, the power of prayer inaction.

August 13, 2013 at 10:47 am |