home
RSS
Church choir: 'Keep yo business off of Facebook'
"The things that you say, you know we're going to find out about 'em anyway," sings a man in this blurry cell phone clip.
August 19th, 2013

Church choir: 'Keep yo business off of Facebook'

By Brandon Griggs, CNN

(CNN) - How bad is the problem of oversharing online? People are now singing about it in church.

A video that's been gaining buzz online in recent days shows worshipers at an unidentified church singing a gospel-styled tune with the apparent title of "Keep Yo Business Off of Facebook." In the blurry two-minute clip, shot with a cell phone, churchgoers sway and clap while a man and woman sing about the pitfalls of sharing not-safe-for-church behavior.

"Sundays you act like a saint, but your Facebook posts say you ain't," the man sings.

The video was posted online in July but has only become widely noticed in recent days after being shared, of all places, on Facebook. The origin of the video and location of the church has so far remained a mystery.
Some commenters on YouTube, where posts of the video have attracted more than 200,000 views, have complained that Christian choirs should not be singing about secular topics in church.

FULL STORY
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Church

1. Frank

God is dead.

August 20, 2013 at 7:05 pm |
    • Lionly Lamb

Maybe and maybe not.... Their treed family generations live ever on inside their buildings which are our bodies on a atomized scale so small we will never truthfully now with much certainty their whereabouts...

August 20, 2013 at 8:03 pm |
      • truthprevails1

Blah blah blah blah...care to try to form a coherent statement??

August 20, 2013 at 8:07 pm |
        • Lionly Lamb

TP....

Baby needs a burping...

August 20, 2013 at 8:12 pm |
        • truthprevails1

Do you? Has Mommy not come home yet???

August 20, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
        • Lionly Lamb

My mother is dead you ingrate,,,

August 20, 2013 at 8:22 pm |
        • truthprevails1

Did I say something about your Mom here? And exactly how would anyone know such a fact, unless you have stated so before?

August 21, 2013 at 5:12 am |
      • evolved DNA

LL what made you come up with this hypothesis.

August 20, 2013 at 10:16 pm |
      • Frank

If god was alive, he would have created a better world. We are evidence of the non-existence of god.

August 20, 2013 at 10:36 pm |
        • Cpt. Obvious

Either that or an uncaring one. There's no reason our universe could not be some "virtual particle" within some larger cosmology or some other incomprehensible geometry. We are a byproduct of some larger process, but if a single intelligence is involved, he/she/it/dlihjiwo/whatever, doesn't give one ripe fvck about humanity.

August 20, 2013 at 10:47 pm |
  2. Dyslexic doG

I was hiking in the mountains last weekend and a bush burst into flames but it was not consumed. A voice came out of the bush and said "there is no god and religion is foolishness". I shrugged my shoulders and thought "OK ... I suppose a voice from a burning bush can't be wrong." So take note everyone. cheers!

August 20, 2013 at 1:28 pm |
    • Midtown

If your bush is burning, perhaps some penicillin is in order.

August 20, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
      • Dyslexic doG

🙂

August 20, 2013 at 3:50 pm |
    • CommonSensed

Did the new fire fighting drones help?

August 20, 2013 at 2:16 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

what about a burning shrubbery?

August 20, 2013 at 2:43 pm |
      • Akira

Only if they came from the Knights Who Say Nii.

August 20, 2013 at 3:20 pm |
    • G to the T

LOL... when I was studying Latin – they often had us translate biblical passages, but the passages were geared toward the vocab we had already learned. I'll never forget we did Moses and burning bush, only didn't know the word for burning yet, so they used the word for "hot" instead.... "...and so Moses knelt before the hot bush and heard the word of god." Still makes me chuckle to this day...

August 21, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
  3. Bootyfunk

ALL religions are cults, including christianity.
    what is the difference between a cult and a religion?
    one is accepted by society, one is not - that's it.

cults/religions are bad for you. they teach you to turn off your cognitive thinking and obey. you don't need religion to be a good person, to help your brothers and sisters. but if you want a philosophy to follow, try Humanism - much superior to any religion. it's based on reason and compassion. no orders to kill g.ays or any of the other horrible commands found in the bible. no invisible sky fairies drowning an entire planet of people. no messages of women being subservient to men.

modern ethics > biblical morals

August 20, 2013 at 1:22 pm |
    • G to the T

August 21, 2013 at 3:18 pm |
  4. hharri

Uh oh. Nobody tore Hitler apart. Oh no!

August 20, 2013 at 6:31 am |
    • Midtown

Hitler is irrelevant, and he tore himself apart. Do keep up; it's not 1945 anymore.
      Do you have a point, or are you just praising your master Hitler?

August 20, 2013 at 1:26 pm |
  5. Apple Bush

I don't think have sects of deluded people is bad. I think having sex with deluded people is bad.

August 20, 2013 at 6:04 am |
  6. Apple Bush

Making fun of Christians is like baseball.

I am waiting.....

August 20, 2013 at 5:54 am |
    • Bootyfunk

it's like T-ball, hard not to hit a home run.

August 20, 2013 at 1:16 pm |
  7. Apple Bush

Question:

Is there anything wrong with being a kind, giving Christian salt of the Earth and have no interest in politics or war. People that just want to give back and feel loved.

August 20, 2013 at 5:46 am |
    • Run of the mouth hharri

Not in the US of Christ-A...a.k.a. GOP-land

August 20, 2013 at 5:48 am |
    • Run of the mouth hharri

Ever think they might be more comfortable in Putin's Russia?

August 20, 2013 at 5:49 am |
    • Apple Bush

Run of the mouth hharri, sadly I am quite unable to understand your posts. Not sure if the problem is with you or me.

August 20, 2013 at 5:52 am |
    • Run of the mouth hharri

We've been worried about you, Apple. Akira and all...you're just not yourself these days...

August 20, 2013 at 5:53 am |
    • Apple Bush

Run of the mouth hharri, for what it is worth, things are quite different. Can't speak for Akira though.

August 20, 2013 at 5:56 am |
      • Akira

Akira is doing generally groovy.

August 20, 2013 at 3:23 pm |
    • Run of the mouth hharri

Sorry to hear that...missed you while you were gone for that stint...wish you well, though

August 20, 2013 at 5:57 am |
      • Apple Bush

Doing fine now my friend. No worries. Hope you are the same.

August 20, 2013 at 6:01 am |
        • Run of the mouth hharri

Thanks, Apple...take care. Have a great day.

August 20, 2013 at 6:02 am |
        • Akira

Glad to hear that, Apple.

August 20, 2013 at 3:25 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

Question:

Is there anything wrong with being a kind, giving Atheist and have no interest in politics or war. People that just want to give back and feel loved.

August 20, 2013 at 1:17 pm |
  8. Apple Bush

Did anyone read this? Can you fill me in?

August 20, 2013 at 5:37 am |
    • Apple Bush

I did Apple. It was just one of those stupid blogs. Some good sex though.

August 20, 2013 at 5:44 am |
  9. hharri

So, how did we get here? Most people long to know. Did we just happen by this ball of spinning blue and white orb that circles around a stars 93,000,000 miles away? Surely it took no gods to put us here! We know better than that. Most things we observe just appear and disappear from nothing, don't they?

Oh yes, don't forget. If you believe in gods you have to be deluded. By definition, according to the scholars posting here. In fact, one way to assess the validity of the statements made by the athies is to note how they never mischaracterize anything or anyone. They have no biases. No emotions. No faults. They see everything accurately and oh yes, they love their enemies.

August 20, 2013 at 2:50 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Some of us just don't like being lied to, hhari. And we oppose the people who tell lies. But then, you believe those lies, don't you? You bought it when you were told that there is eternal punishment that you can only escape by believing in something entirely on faith. You hope for eternal rewards too. And there's no reason to think there is anything eternal about you.

August 20, 2013 at 4:52 am |
      • nclaw441

Tom, we hear things every day that we disagree with, usually many times each day. I understand that you disagree with those who believe in God, but does that really harm you, at least any more than a political argument with which you disagree? Yet many people get extremely exercised about what others say about their belief in God and what they believe the Bible teaches. If you don't believe it, a claim that there exists eternal punishment and/or eternal reward should run right off your back. I did not see it in your post, but it is amazing how many people get angry and start hurling insults at those who believe differently than they do. That suggests some wavering in their own faith or lack of it.

August 20, 2013 at 10:24 am |
        • G to the T

Or they are extremely frustrated because they've spent a lifetime trying to find out what is actually real and are then told by chistians (who may or may not have even read their own bible) they just weren't doing it right...

August 21, 2013 at 3:21 pm |
        • hharri

"G to the T
          Or they are extremely frustrated because they've spent a lifetime trying to find out what is actually real and are then told by chistians (who may or may not have even read their own bible) they just weren't doing it right.."

lol

August 24, 2013 at 11:14 pm |
      • hharri

just like you, observer, the big baby, to blame all your misery on others

August 24, 2013 at 11:15 pm |
    • Apple Bush

That was lovely hharri. Weird as fuck, but lovely.

August 20, 2013 at 5:35 am |
      • hharri

Tough guy

August 20, 2013 at 6:27 am |
    • Run of the mouth hharri

...still waiting for Xstians to "love your enemies"...2000 years...still waiting

August 20, 2013 at 5:43 am |
      • hharri

I love you

August 20, 2013 at 6:28 am |
      • hharri

I forgot. You are god. You know everything. Typical atthy. You show us all the way

August 20, 2013 at 6:30 am |
        • hharri

I am an ignorant simple minded troll,,,,,,,,,,,, IGNORE ME!

August 22, 2013 at 11:18 am |
    • Run of the mouth hharri

Considering the ubiquity of hharri's posts, I'd say he's just about to lose his faith...the cognitive disonance is just too much.

August 20, 2013 at 5:46 am |
  10. hharri

I know. I have an idea. Let's play find fault with xtians! Wouldn't that be a nice change?

August 20, 2013 at 2:38 am |
  11. tallulah13

So I guess what they are saying is behave however you want, but don't put in on Facebook because members of your church may find out. I guess appearances are more important than behavior.

August 19, 2013 at 11:05 pm |
    • hharri

Of course. What do you expect? Truth be known, reborners never behave properly out of pure motives. That's how you know they are hypocrites. If they lie, cheat, steal, manipulate, con, embezzle, muer and rae and love jèeeeeeebus, you know they are Christians!

August 19, 2013 at 11:53 pm |
      • tallulah13

They are every inch as pious and holy as you.

August 20, 2013 at 12:39 am |
        • hharri

I love you talmud

August 20, 2013 at 6:30 am |
  12. Thought Purification

it's funny, but TRUE. "Sundays you act like a saint, but your Facebook posts say you ain't," I hope they include in their song CNN BB

August 19, 2013 at 6:04 pm |
  13. Bootyfunk

best keep the kids away from them 'puters. the intranets is evil!

August 19, 2013 at 3:55 pm |
    • cherry

as an atheist, i am proud none of our faith is a hypocrite.

August 20, 2013 at 7:08 am |
      • Bootyfunk

what faith?

August 20, 2013 at 1:23 pm |
  14. Dyslexic doG

new Christian song:

keep your believers off the internet
    they might learn science and facts
    they'll leave this foolishness in their droves
    and we'll never see them back

we have to keep them in the bubble
    feed them more fantasy on the double
    soooo ... keep your believers off the internet
    or they might learn science and facts!

August 19, 2013 at 3:27 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

lol!
      A+

August 19, 2013 at 3:48 pm |
  15. Not a Sunday Christian

🎵 🎵 On Monday I am happy, on Tuesday full of joy
    Wednesday I've got the faith the devil can't destroy
    On Thursday and Friday walking in the light
    Saturday I've got the victory and Sunday's always bright

I fell in love with Jesus and he fell in love with me
    That's the very reason I've got the victory
    I'm happy when it's raining, I'm happy when it shines
    I'm happy now with Jesus, I'm happy all the time

August 19, 2013 at 2:03 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Don't ever leave me, Jesus. I couldn't stand to see you go.
      My heart would simply snap, my Lord, if you walked on out that door.
      I promise I'll be good to you, and keep you warm at night.
      Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, why don't we just... shut off the lights.

– Faith +1

August 19, 2013 at 2:32 pm |
      • Corinth

OP is referring to 'agape'

August 19, 2013 at 2:36 pm |
        • Doc Vestibule

How's this then:

Tell me; where is the love?
          In a careless creation
          When there’s no “above”
          There’s no justice
          Just a cause and a cure
          And a bounty of suffering
          It seems we all endure
          And what I’m frightened of
          Is that they call it “God’s love”

– Dr. Greg Graffin

August 19, 2013 at 2:49 pm |
        • Corinth

Tell me; where is the love?

- in God

In a careless creation

–There is nothing careless about creation

When there’s no “above”

–You can't be so sure about that

There’s no justice

–If there's no justice then why do we have judicial systems

Just a cause and a cure
          And a bounty of suffering
          It seems we all endure

–How can you know what happiness is if you know not what sadness is?

And what I’m frightened of
          Is that they call it “God’s love

–There is nothing frightening about God's love if you have experienced His love.

August 19, 2013 at 2:59 pm |
        • Johnny

I want to get down on my knees and start pleasing Jesus
          I want to feel his salvation all over my face.

-Faith +1

August 19, 2013 at 3:12 pm |
        • Doc Vestibule

Another from Dr. Graffin:

The scientist purported that there aint no purpose
          And the theologian told me that it's all been designed
          And Im trying to maintain objectivity
          The world wont illuminate what really matters
          And Im an imperfect moral meaning extractor
          Processing the complexity

Right or wrong,
          The main criterion is what you do and not what you say
          The roads you take, the friends you make and those you throw away
          The method is a simple synthesis of the past and present state
          You never lose if the path you choose is one you can easily navigate
          – "Shattered Faith" –

August 19, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
        • redzoa

"–If there's no justice then why do we have judicial systems"

Is that you Miss 2007 Miss South Carolina?

August 19, 2013 at 11:20 pm |
    • Doobs

I fell in love with Jesus and he fell in love with me

Did you two lovebirds meet on ChristianMingle.com?

August 20, 2013 at 1:35 am |
    • ZuluXray

evangelize evangelize, keep on lying and you get a prize!

August 20, 2013 at 8:39 am |
  16. Doobs

In other words, if you're going to be a religious hypocrite, don't broadcast it over the internet.

August 19, 2013 at 1:50 pm |
  17. CommonSensed

Ebonics in church...not so much.

August 19, 2013 at 1:41 pm |
  18. Just the Facts Ma'am...

Isn't "business" a euphemism for penis? Maybe this is Carlos Dangers church...

August 19, 2013 at 1:34 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

'Keep yo business off of Facebook' or at least, "Keep yo junk off o' Twitter" would be good advice for señor Danger, or anyone for that matter.

August 19, 2013 at 2:41 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

You know when I'm down to my socks it's time for business that's why they call it business socks.

August 19, 2013 at 3:20 pm |
  19. I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

And it's posted in the "Tech" column!

August 19, 2013 at 1:32 pm |