home
RSS
August 21st, 2013

Vatican to say next month when John Paul II, John XXIII will become saints

By Jason Hanna and Hada Messia, CNN

(CNN) - The Roman Catholic Church will announce next month the date when the late popes John Paul II and John XXIII will be canonized, Vatican Radio reported Wednesday.

The canonization dates for the two former pontiffs will be announced on September 30, the radio service reported, citing Cardinal Angelo Amato.

Pope Francis announced last month that his two 20th century predecessors would be declared saints.

John Paul was pope from 1978 until his death in 2005, drawing vast crowds as he crisscrossed the globe. The third-longest-serving pope in history, died at the age of 84 after suffering from Parkinson's disease, arthritis and other ailments for several years.

Pope John XXIII was famed for calling the Second Vatican Council in 1962, which ushered in great changes in the Roman Catholic Church's relationship with the modern world. He was pope from 1958 to 1963.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Pope • Pope John Paul II • Vatican

1. Common Sensed

Editors don't have the authority, ability or understanding of how to ban. It would require banning the entire user's ISP or contacting the ISP and requesting a block on the user from being able to access the site.

August 22, 2013 at 4:09 pm |
  2. The Real Tom

Thanks for at least giving me something concrete to work with, Really-O; it certainly is more useful than Common's ranting.

I did the test; we are not IPv6.

August 22, 2013 at 4:08 pm |
    • Common Sensed

How did you determine that to be "concrete?" You don't understand network topology, and certainly not the layers of the network. IP addresses have no relevance to MAC addresses.

You're asking for help. I have you very specific information. Yet you choose to listen to someone that's telling you to check whether you've got an IPv6 IP address?

Your router almost undeniably gives you an IPv4 address through DHCP. Consumer routers haven't been forced to make the jump. Odds are, your IP address starts with 10 or 192. These are private IP networks. Windows will assign you an IPv6 address by default, but it doesn't help you in ANY way. Also, non-routable. Your router, if wireless, is mostly set to channel 6, and I doubt you've changed it. Maybe it doesn't have a default name. And I trust you've changed the password on it (and I'm not referring to the password you set to access the network). Ever update the firmware on it? Most likely no.

I'd hardly call the other guy's advice concrete.

Want some place "concrete" to start in figuring out what your MAC and IP(s) are?

Press your start button. In the "run" box type "cmd" and press enter. Type the following:

Ipconfig /all

Good luck figuring out the rest of whatever mess this other individual gets you into.

August 22, 2013 at 4:26 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Mac addresses identify specific devices – like your network interface. Change over to a different machine, or swap out the interface on the same machine, and you'll have a new mac address. More likely, blocking is accomplished using your handle and email address together with the ip address. You can try taking the device that picks up the ip address from your service provider offline for a time. When you bring it back up it may acquire a new ip address. You can see what ip address you are using by going to http://www.whatsmyip.org.

August 23, 2013 at 8:30 pm |
  3. The Real Tom

You have yet to explain why it is I cannot post from my own computer, except when I use a proxy server, as I am doing right now. Austin was here some time ago and stated exactly the same thing.

Well?

August 22, 2013 at 3:44 pm |
    • Common Sensed

The only time I have an issue is if I get flagged or make the mistake of using IE. When flagged, I change my email. Sometimes I have to alter my name as well. When using IE problems just arise out of the blue, frankly because of how awful IE is. CNN does not verify email addresses. This should tell you something about how little they care. Due to its lack of importance, it shows that they only go so far as using a script to temp ban names and email addresses. Those last two to three days, tops. Any other measures are to prevent real problems. This blog is off of that list.

The reason you can't use the reply function is due to the proxy spinner itself. It won't allow certain things to work. The majority of them do exactly the same thing. You are still traceable through a proxy spinner. I know this because I've managed networks with tens of thousands of users.

Try resetting everything. More often than not, it's a problem with your own system. I can say without a doubt though, CNN isn't blocking your IP (everyone on your ISP would be blocked) or your MAC. The only MAC they could possibly see is on your ISP's external router NIC. If they could see your MAC, the proxy spinner wouldn't do you any good because it doesn't spoof your MAC address.

August 22, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
  4. The Real Tom

Further, Common Nonsensed, if being abusive gets people banned, then why are YOU still here?

August 22, 2013 at 3:28 pm |
    • Common Sensed

Maybe because CNN doesn't IP or MAC ban? Jesus Christ, maybe I'm right after all!

August 22, 2013 at 3:38 pm |
  5. The Real Tom

No, Common Nonsensed, changing my name or e-mail address does NOT work. Don't you think I tried using another name/e-mail address? If you "do this for a living" then you should know that I was perfectly able to post from a Mac tablet when away from home, but cannot do so when I'm here.

Now if Really-O can tell me how to change a Mac address, I'd appreciate it.

August 22, 2013 at 3:24 pm |
    • Common Sensed

You obviously know nothing about ARP or its purpose. Spoofing a MAC. Is a waste of time unless you're war driving or trying to steal your neighbor's bandwidth. CNN cannot see your MAC address. It simply isn't possible unless they're doing something highly illegal. It would be a complete waste of time and resources.

Also worth noting is that changing your MAC address does not alter your router's MAC address, nor your cable modem's MAC address or your DSL modem's MAC address. Your computer/phone/tablet MAC address is NOT visible to the outside world. It is limited to your internal network only.

Do you really think that CNN would spend money port scanning through multiple network layers in order to single you out? They'd barely waste the effort on a DDoS, and you really think they'd search for your information? Haha!

No wonder you can't figure this out. Do some research on the subject. It's not rocket science.

August 22, 2013 at 3:37 pm |
    • Really-O?

@The Real Tom –

First check if you're IPv6 by going to http://ipv6-test.com; if not (and it's unlikely), there's no point in changing your MAC address. If you are IPv6, a quick google search should do the trick. It's quite easy, at least for Windows boxes – and probably just as easy for Mac OS.

August 22, 2013 at 3:59 pm |
      • Common Sensed

This is not helpful. The majority of home users are all using IPv4. Your IP has zero relevance to your MAC.

August 22, 2013 at 4:12 pm |
        • Really-O?

@Common Sensed –

Now you've exposed yourself. IPv6 address may very well contain your MAC address, unless you take preventative measures. Don't you have a keyboard to clean or a sticky mouse button to fix?

August 22, 2013 at 4:20 pm |
        • Really-O?

"IPv6 addresses may very well contain", not "IPv6 address may very well contain".

August 22, 2013 at 4:21 pm |
  6. The Real Tom

Oh, Dill, you would be so much better named if it were "Dull." No, honey, the "reply" function does not work if you're using this particular proxy. It also doesn't allow me to click on your name in the list of comments and get right to whatever inane pap you posted.

August 22, 2013 at 3:19 pm |
  7. lamelionheart

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCMS-NJ7VxU&w=640&h=360]

August 22, 2013 at 3:13 pm |
  8. HITLER WAS A CHRISTIAN

THE OLYMPICS ARE GOING TO BE REAL STUPID BECAUSE OF RUSSIA AND ALL THEIR ANTI GAY SHIT

August 22, 2013 at 3:02 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

That's something we can agree on.

August 22, 2013 at 3:04 pm |
      • HITLER WAS A CHRISTIAN

I'M NOT HERE FOR YOUR APPROVAL, ASS HOLE

August 22, 2013 at 3:06 pm |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Wow, you're either retarded or a troll. Either way, I feel sorry for you.

August 22, 2013 at 3:09 pm |
        • HITLER WAS A CHRISTIAN

IT DOESN'T CHANGE THAT YOU ARE STILL AN ASS HOLE

August 22, 2013 at 3:14 pm |

Duly noted.

August 22, 2013 at 3:15 pm |
  9. Madtown

Vatican to say next month when John Paul II, John XXIII will become saints
    -----
    They're signing with New Orleans?! For the veteran's minimum I bet. The NFC South could be intriguing this year.

August 22, 2013 at 3:01 pm |
    • saggyroy

Just wait til they play the Lions....

August 23, 2013 at 6:04 am |
  10. truthprevails1

Much earlier in this hharri claimed that all who believe are saints. When confronted with the likes of Andrea Yates, the pedophile priests being saints, he avoided answering...so the other christians I pose the question...if as hharri has claimed is true, then are the believers such as the ones previously mentioned also saints?
    Not that I agree with any of it but I would think making the claim hharri does would really take away the meaning of sainthood.

August 22, 2013 at 2:59 pm |
    • Russ

@ TP1:
      the word "saints" is translating the Greek word 'agios' (literally, "holy ones"). the Bible knows NOTHING of the idea that some believers are saints & some are not. certainly some are not really believers who feign belief (as Jesus said, many will say "Lord, didn't we do miracles in your name?" and he'll say, "Depart from me, I never knew you"). but that's ultimately just a dodge from your point. so let me go headlong at it...

why are Christians "holy?" not because of what WE do. no, we're told we deserve death (i.e., the cross). so what makes us "holy"? what Jesus did. that means – as offensive as it is – that ANYONE (i.e., Hitler, Dahmer, me, etc.) who rests in Christ for his holiness rather than in his own efforts is literally a SAINT – (made holy by what Christ did). but that's the point of our faith. "Christ died for sinners, of which I am the chief" (1 Tim.1:15).

how could that be just? remember, the picture of the cross is a TRADE: he takes the treatment/justice I deserve, so that I get the just treatment only He deserves (which for me is mercy, since I certainly didn't earn it).

there are more questions that follow (like sanctification – the process of becoming holy like Christ – which is different than the trade in treatments [justification is the technical term]), but there's an introductory answer for you.

August 22, 2013 at 3:08 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

Home » Resources » Saints » Saints
      Saints – Catechism of the Catholic Church

956. The intercession of the saints. “Being more closely united to Christ, those who dwell in heaven fix the whole Church more firmly in holiness.... They do not cease to intercede with the Father for us, as they proffer the merits which they acquired on earth through the one mediator between God and men, Christ Jesus.... So by their fraternal concern is our weakness greatly helped.” [LG 49; cf. 1 Tim 2:5.]

So, it would seem as if the merits one acquires on earth have something to do with it.

August 22, 2013 at 3:10 pm |
  11. The Real Tom

Probably because pantywaists like you complained, Dill.

August 22, 2013 at 2:54 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

The reply button works just like it always has. Looks to me like you don't understand the user agreement any better this time. You'll end up being banned again. It's kind of a neat little analogy considering it's playing out on the belief blog, don't you think?

August 22, 2013 at 2:58 pm |
    • Theo

Tom r u crazy is that your problem ?

August 22, 2013 at 5:40 pm |
  12. The Real Tom

Hey CS and Honey Badger, I deny being anywhere NEAR Cognito, much less in it! The mods banned my IP, so I'm using a proxy but it sucks-can't reply to specific posts.

August 22, 2013 at 2:45 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

Why did they do that?

August 22, 2013 at 2:50 pm |
    • Really-O?

@The Real Tom –

Is your IP static?

August 22, 2013 at 2:52 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

Did they ban the IP or the Mac address?

August 22, 2013 at 2:54 pm |
      • Really-O?

@Richard Cranium –

In the early day of Daniel, I was banned...changing my MAC address did the trick.

August 22, 2013 at 2:56 pm |
      • Common Sensed

They don't block or ban IP or MAC addresses.

August 22, 2013 at 2:57 pm |
        • Really-O?

@Common Sensed –

I believe you're mistaken. Several month's ago, immediately after a foofarah with Daniel, I was suddenly unable to post. Once I changed my MAC address, the problem was resolved. It may have been coincidence, but I doubt it.

August 22, 2013 at 3:01 pm |
        • Common Sensed

Change your name or email. That's the trigger. But hey, what do I know. I only do this for a living.

August 22, 2013 at 3:07 pm |
        • Really-O?

Sorry, Common Sensed, but changing my screen name and/or email address didn't work. If you do this for a living, then you understand there are a number of ways to filter traffic – MAC address is one of those ways.

August 22, 2013 at 3:10 pm |
        • Common Sensed

Really? Then you understand that ARP is non-routable and stays within your network. You also understand that it can't be seen beyond your router, nor can your internal IP address. You also understand that your external IP address is only visible to the internal network of your IP address. Via NAT, CNN would only be able to view your ISP's external IP address. You already know this, so I shouldn't need to explain any of it.

Please, tell me exactly how CNN has access to your home network and can somehow through jesus magic see what your MAC address is. Please. I'm waiting.

August 22, 2013 at 3:19 pm |
        • Really-O?

@Common Sensed –

I'm not an administrator, so perhaps, as I said above, it was merely coincidence; but, lord man, you do seem quite testy. Is a Napoleon Complex part and parcel of having to admit one spends his days as a "wordpress site admin"?

August 22, 2013 at 3:49 pm |
    • Common Sensed

They don't IP ban. If your posts get flagged enough, it triggers a block, but not an IP ban. If you're using a home computer, your IP changes every three days. CNN wouldn't block an ISP. That's just bad business.

I know this because I'm a wordpress site admin. Trust me when I say this, you aren't worth the time it would take for a human to bother themselves with updating a firewall every three days just to search out your posts. If that were the case, your proxy spinner wouldn't do you any good. They'd be contacting your ISP to let them know about your trolling.

Try being less abusive to fellow commenters. There's a thought.

August 22, 2013 at 2:56 pm |
  13. HITLER WAS A CHRISTIAN

I WISH THEY'D BULLDOZE THE VATICAN.

August 22, 2013 at 2:36 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Proof that Hitler was a Christian?

August 22, 2013 at 2:40 pm |
      • HITLER WAS A CHRISTIAN

READ HIS FAMOUS BOOK

August 22, 2013 at 2:43 pm |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

That's not proof. That book was more of a manifesto which he intended to use to unite Germany. He recognized the power of Christianity in Germany and reckoned that it would be better to appear pro-Christian.

August 22, 2013 at 2:47 pm |
        • HITLER WAS A CHRISTIAN

ARE YOU HITLER?

August 22, 2013 at 2:59 pm |

No. Are you an idiot?

August 22, 2013 at 3:01 pm |
        • HITLER WAS A CHRISTIAN

NO BUT IF YOU WANT TO FEIGN INTELLIGENCE THEN STOP PRETENDING LIKE YOU HAVE SOME SECRET INSIGHT THAT NO ONE ELSE KNOWS ABOUT

August 22, 2013 at 3:05 pm |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Intelligence has nothing to do with it. There's conflicting evidence regarding Hitler's personal beliefs.

August 22, 2013 at 3:07 pm |
    • Zombie God

This has been proven again and again. |Look it up yourself

August 22, 2013 at 2:41 pm |
      • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Hitler's personal beliefs are far from proven.

August 22, 2013 at 2:42 pm |
  14. Reality

Only for the new members of this blog:

These guys should not have had the job in the first place:

The NT to be correct is the story of a simple preacher man aka Jesus told by five different story tellers/embellishers named Paul, Mark, Matthew, Luke and John. They made this simple preacher man into a god to win converts to their cause, the new Judaism. Some years later a few of the many embellished passages were erroneously used to establish the male papacy. Tis time to bring Christianity back to Earth where it originated. Time for equal representation in the leadership. Time for democracy in the Catholic Church. Amen.

August 22, 2013 at 2:30 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

The guy at the head retains the right to choose.

August 22, 2013 at 2:48 pm |
      • Reality

Francis knows he is pope only because of false scripture. We will see if he is up to task of admitting it and abdicating his position returning to the RCC members all the money they have spent keeping him and all the hierarchy in splendor for almost two thousand years.

August 22, 2013 at 4:49 pm |
  15. ??

If you claim to be a believer, please remember these verses.
    Proverbs 26: 4-12.
    When asked for proof remember Isaiah 55: 8-9 and John 20: 29
    When mocked and ridiculed by the atheist on this site remember Matt 5: 11-12
    Evidence of God is personal and anecdotal and some what empirical in that personal experience helps us glean more knowledge of God.
    None of us on this blog knows each other, nor do we have a clue as to what each persons life experience is, so as I read so many of these post I saddened by the insults and jabs at each other, I pray I am not guilty of that. If I am I ask for forgiveness against any I have made insulting statements too. I research and I read these posts and I have determined that I do not want to look at life through the eyes of an atheist. Like anything else, it is a choice we all have to make. I have many friends who are atheist and I love them. I do not push my faith on them and they do not ridicule me or mock me for my faith. There are only about 10 or 15 atheist who posts on these blogs. They do it so frequently that I wonder if this is their job. What a sad way to spend your life, telling people they are gullible or stupid or mindless or any of the other things believers and non believers has said to each other here,
    I just hope all will treat the people they encounter in real life, face to face, better than you seem to treat each other here.
    God Bless or Good Luck depending in your world view.
    Doobs, my apologies. I should not have insulted you yesterday. Though you did twist what I was trying to say, what should I expect when making such a strange point?

August 22, 2013 at 12:57 pm |

Empirical how?

August 22, 2013 at 1:02 pm |
    • Reality

From Professor Bruce Chilton in his book, Rabbi Jesus,

"Conventionally, scholarship has accorded priority to the first three gospels in historical work on Jesus, putting progressively less credence in works of late date. John's Gospel for example is routinely dismissed as a source......

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_John#Authorship

"Since "the higher criticism" of the 19th century, some historians have largely rejected the gospel of John as a reliable source of information about the historical Jesus.[3][4] "[M]ost commentators regard the work as anonymous,"[5] and date it to 90-100."

"The authorship has been disputed since at least the second century, with mainstream Christianity believing that the author is John the Apostle, son of Zebedee. Modern experts usually consider the author to be an unknown non-eyewitness, though many apologetic Christian scholars still hold to the conservative Johannine view that ascribes authorship to John the Apostle."

And from Professor Gerd Ludemann, in his book, Jesus After 2000 Years, p. 416,

"Anyone looking for the historical Jesus will not find him in the Gospel of John. "