home
RSS
Do Christians, Muslims and Jews worship the same God?
September 1st, 2013

Do Christians, Muslims and Jews worship the same God?

Opinion by Jeffrey Weiss, Special to CNN
[twitter-follow screen_name='WeissFaithWrite']

(CNN) - Pope Francis surprised Israeli and Palestinian leaders last month when he invited them to a special prayer ceremony at the Vatican this Sunday - not least because religion has often been the source, not the salve, of the region's conflicts.

Still, Pope Francis offered his "home" - the Vatican - as the perfect place to plea for some divine assistance, and Israeli President Shimon Peres and Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas dutifully agreed to attend.

"The Pope has placed it in this perspective: Prayer is like a force for peace,” Vatican Secretary of State Archbishop Pietro Parolin told Vatican Radio.

"We hope that there, where human efforts have so far failed, the Lord offers to all the wisdom and fortitude to carry out a real peace plan."

But Sunday's special ceremony at the Vatican raises an interesting question: When Francis, Peres and Abbas bow their heads in prayer, will they be talking to the same God?

After all, Jews, Christians and Muslims all trace their faiths back to a fellow named Abraham, whom they all claim was chosen for special treatment by the Almighty.

Not academic

The question is hardly academic, though. In fact, a number of politicians, religious leaders and scholars have expressed hope in recent years that a convincing answer on the God question might dampen the violence committed in His name.

Yale Divinity School theologian Miroslav Volf recently edited a book titled “Do We Worship the Same God? Jews, Christians, and Muslims in Dialogue.”

In the introduction, Volf explained why the title question matters:

"To ask: ‘Do we have a common God?’ is, among other things, to worry: ‘Can we live together?’ That’s why whether or not a given community worships the same god as does another community has always been a crucial cultural and political question and not just a theological one."

On the other hand, there’s CNN Belief Blog contributor and Boston University religion professor Stephen Prothero.

His book on this subject is titled “God Is Not One: The Eight Rival Religions That Run The World.”

Prothero writes:

“For more than a generation we have followed scholars and sages down the rabbit hole into a fantasy world where all gods are one … In fact this naive theological groupthink – call it Godthink – has made the world more dangerous by blinding us to the clash of religions that threaten us worldwide.”

In the world of politics, President George W. Bush asserted the unity side of the argument more than once in the years after the 9/11 attacks - often as a way to deflect accusations that America was at war with Islam.

Bush told Al Arabiya television, “I believe there is a universal God. I believe the God that the Muslim prays to is the same God that I pray to. After all, we all came from Abraham. I believe in that universality.”

Pope Francis invites Israeli, Palestinian leaders to Vatican peace talks

Pope John Paul II drew from the same rhetorical well several times.

“We believe in the same God, the one God, the living God, the God who created the world and brings his creatures to their perfection,” he first said in a speech to Muslims in Morocco in 1985.

Looking for a more recent example? Consider the plight of Vatican envoy to Malaysia.

Shortly after he arrived there last year, Archbishop Joseph Marino said that is was fine by him that Christian translations of the Bible into Malay use the word “Allah” for “God.”

“Allah” is, of course, the Arabic word for God and is found in the Quran. The Christian translators explained that since most Malaysians are Muslim, it’s the word they’re most comfortable with and therefore the best choice for the translation.

But many Muslim authorities in Malaysia were furious. They say Christians are slipping in the familiar word as a way to convert Muslims. And conversion of Muslims is all but illegal in Malaysia.

There’s a lawsuit ongoing about the translations. Marino had to apologize for pushing into Malaysian politics.

Points of disagreement

So what do the “Abrahamic” religions disagree about?

Among other things: the purpose of humanity, the relationship of God and humanity, sin, forgiveness, salvation, the afterlife, Jesus, Muhammad, the calendar, and the religious importance of Abraham himself.

Plus the nature of God.

Any summary will leave out enormous nuance. Internal divisions within religions have fueled some of the worst examples of human violence. Consider the long and frequently bloody history of troubles between Catholics and Protestants or the growing death toll of Muslim-on-Muslim attacks.

But there are common elements about God widely accepted in each tradition.

Judaism

Start with Judaism, since it came first and established roots that carried into the other two.

Jewish tradition teaches that there is one and only one God, creator of everything, and He established physical and moral laws. As Judaism’s preeminent prayer says: “The Lord our God, the Lord is one.”

This God walks and talks directly with His creations – for a while.

Eventually, He chooses one particular nomad (Abraham) to father a mighty nation that God sets up as an example to other nations.

This God likes the smell of burning meat and demands other extremely specific physical offerings as evidence of obedience and repentance. And He gives His chosen people a particular set of laws – but doesn’t mind discussion and even argument about those laws.

A famous rabbinic saying implies that every word in Judaism’s sacred texts can be understood in 70 correct (but related) ways. And human reasoning can even trump divine intention. (No kidding. It’s in the Talmud)

This God judges His people every year. Tradition says he’s willing to accept imperfection, as long as it comes with repentance.

He’s big on obedience, not so much on faith. He’s not nearly as attentive to the behaviors of non-Jews. (There’s a famous Jewish joke with the punch line “Would you mind choosing somebody else once in a while?”)

Tradition holds that there’s a World To Come after death where moral accounts will somehow be settled. But this God is vague on details.

Christianity

The most obvious differences in the Christian God are the traditional teachings about the Trinity and Jesus. God is three separate persons who are also one. How? Christianity says the Trinity is a “mystery” of faith.

According to Christian tradition, God begets a son who is somehow also Him but not Him to atone for Original Sin. He sacrifices that son though a brutal death and thus achieves humanity's salvation.

But the son, who also is God, rises from the dead. And that sacrifice redeems eternally all who accept and believe in it. Faith, not behavior, is the essential measure of salvation.

This God is willing to vastly expand what it means to be among His “chosen people.” He’s also willing to cancel many of the laws that had applied to that chosen group for this expanded membership.

Orthodox Jews say that God prohibits them from eating a cheeseburger; Christians say God has no problem with them wolfing down Big Macs.

Unlike the Jewish God, whose instructions are almost all about this world, the Christian God is focused more on eternal salvation: heaven and hell.

Finally, for this God, much of the Jewish scriptures (which are all God’s word) are actually about foreshadowing Jesus. Including Abraham.

Islam

The Muslim God is a bit more like the Jewish God.

There is no Trinity in Muslim tradition. Jesus was a prophet, but no more divine than other prophets.

God has never has had anything like physical attributes and has no gender. (Some Muslim commentators say that the noun “Allah” is masculine, but only in the way that all nouns in some languages include gender.)

Muslim tradition holds that God wants one thing from humans: Submission. The word “Islam” is defined as “submission to the will of God.”

For Muslims, all true prophets in Jewish and Christian traditions were actually Muslim because they knew to submit correctly to God. Differences between Muslim, Jewish and Christian interpretations of God are due to errors that crept into the other two faiths, Islam teaches.

The Muslim God, like the other two, initially demanded that Abraham sacrifice a son. But the Muslim God wanted Abraham’s son Ishmael, not Isaac, who Jewish tradition holds was offered as a the sacrifice.

The Muslim God also designated, from before the world began, a perfect man to be his final prophet: Muhammad. God’s perfect truths are found only in the Quran and in the sayings of Muhammad, the hadiths.

And the Muslim God, like the Christian God but unlike the Jewish God, will welcome believers to paradise and condemn many non-Muslims - exactly which ones is a matter of much discussion - to eternal torment.

Final answer

So do Christians Muslims, and Jews, really all worship the same God?

In two major volumes on the subject recently published by scholars from various faiths and traditions, including Volf’s, the most inclusive response from these scholars is basically: Yes, and it’s our God.

This is not a new way of answering the question.

In 1076, Pope Gregory VII wrote this to a Muslim leader: “We believe in and confess one God, admittedly, in a different way…”

But like many other religious leaders on all sides of the argument, Gregory insisted that his version of the Almighty is the one whom the others are unknowingly and incompletely worshiping.

A less exclusivist set of religions might shrug off the differences. But all three claim to have the only “True Faith.”

So do all three faiths actually worship the same deity, whether they call him God or Allah or Adonai?

God only knows.

Jeffrey Weiss is an award-winning religion reporter in Dallas.The views expressed in this column belong to Weiss. A version of this story first ran in September 2013.

CNN's Daniel Burke contributed to this article.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • History • Islam • Judaism • Muslim • Religious violence • Torah • Vatican

soundoff (7,438 Responses)
  1. Bootyfunk

in Hinduism, all gods, even gods of other religions, all lead to the same god and the path to nirvana. so it doesn't matter which gods are worshiped. of course, hinduism is just as silly as christianity, judaism and islam. do they worship the same god? more or less. christianity is a rip-off of judaism and islam is a rip-off of judaism and christianity.

"The “same God” question is one theologians have hammered at for as long as there have been enough religions for the query to make sense."

lol. funny when theologians talk about logic or making sense, but only halfway apply it to their thinking. a question makes sense because of the number of times it's asked? considering many the same fictional characters are found in all three religion's holy writings that it's obvious they're all connected. yes, all three religions worship, more or less, the same ultra-violent god.

September 1, 2013 at 1:37 pm |
  2. One Christian who does not agree with Weiss

First of all I felt in reading this, no wonder the younger generation has so many that are lost. The explanation of religion or faith for that matter is done so in such a sarcastic or blase fashion. Second, it's incorrect. There are many answers to what is presented here as "confusing" descriptions of God. Not all Christian beliefs are as they've been painted in this article.

September 1, 2013 at 1:37 pm |
    • Time For You To Grow Up...

True... Ever Christian seems to have different core beliefs... Which is just more proof that the entire religion is nothing but a mindless fallacy.

September 1, 2013 at 1:38 pm |
    • Jeffrey Weiss

You are absolutely right that there exists a broad spectrum of Christian belief. Even an encyclopedia can't do it justice. I aimed for the elements that have the most support - the middle of the bell curve - as much as I could in the space allowed. And I tried to do it without snark for all the faiths. Conversational in tone, but not with ridicule.

September 1, 2013 at 1:44 pm |
    • truthprevails1

"Not all Christian beliefs are as they've been painted in this article."

You're right because with over 30000 sects of christianity there are basically that many different interpretations of the christian god.

September 1, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
  3. Richard Cranium

"God defies definition"

So how do you know if there is a god or not, if you don't know what to look for?

September 1, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
    • Damocles

Yeah, that always makes me chuckle.

'My deity can't be defined.... but it's a he, doesn't like this, hates that, loves this, did this, didn't do that'. Very strange.

September 1, 2013 at 1:38 pm |
    • Rebbe Bupkis

Okay, this is creepy. I just looked up "God" in the OED and it said:
      "God \gäd/
      noun
      1. Me

September 1, 2013 at 2:49 pm |
  4. One one

My god and religion are real and true
    YOUR religion is just a witches’ brew

NO ! MY god and religion are real and true
    YOURS is just a witches’ brew.

NO ! MY god and religion are real and true
    YOURS is just a witches’ brew.

NO ! MY god and religion are real and true
    YOURS is just a witches’ brew.

Repeat forever.

September 1, 2013 at 1:35 pm |
    • Liz the First

Just fyi, Witches get Jesus's teachings far more than most folks these days who call themselves 'Christians.' they actually put his teachings into practice to help people. mostly what we see from the 'christian' community these days is hate and condemnation of anyone different from them. really? is that what Jesus taught???

September 1, 2013 at 1:39 pm |
      • Nina

Jesus did not teach that. And those Christians you talk about are hypocrites. There are real Christians out there believe me.

September 1, 2013 at 1:52 pm |
    • Rebbe Bupkis

Whoa! It's like I'm reading my Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap bottle!

September 1, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
  5. JesusLittle

I'm going to create man and woman with original sin. Then I'm going to impregnate a woman with myself as her child, so that I can be born. Once alive, I will kill myself as a sacrifice to myself. To save you from the sin I originally condemned you to.

September 1, 2013 at 1:35 pm |
    • One one

And if you don't accept my offer to save you from my eternal punishment, I well send you to hell for eternal punishment.

September 1, 2013 at 1:38 pm |
  6. tv22

Although I am a Christian, my belief is that God found and still finds different ways to talk to different people. I've found that even from church to church, God speaks to me more clearly perhaps at one than another. Our problem is we've all idolized our stories about God, without realizing that God defies definition.

September 1, 2013 at 1:34 pm |
    • rafael

Your problem Goes deeper than that.

September 1, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
    • JesusLittle

You could certainly make a compelling argument that we create Gods in our own ever-shifting image rather than our culture being derived from the whims of Gods. People have done it. What's fun is watching the logical hoops people have to jump through to rationalize why an infallible, eternal being changed his mind.

September 1, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
    • Time For You To Grow Up...

Your problem is a self-fulfilling prophecy...

September 1, 2013 at 1:37 pm |
  7. Peeontheleg

Dear Catholics:

God here.

I don't care if the Pope takes a "selfie." In fact, I don't care about anything, because, you see, I do not exist. The concept of a 13,700,000,000 year old being, capable of creating the entire Universe and its

billions of galaxies, monitoring simultaneously the thoughts and actions of the 7 billion human beings on this planet is ludicrous.

Second, if I did, I would have left you a book a little more consistent, timeless and independently verifiable than the collection of Iron Age Middle Eastern mythology you call the Bible. Hell, I bet you cannot tell

me one thing about any of its authors or how and why it was edited over the Centuries, yet you cite them for the most extraordinary of claims.

Thirdly, when I sent my “son” (whatever that means, given that I am god and do not mate) to Earth, he would have visited the Chinese, Ja.panese, Europeans, Russians, sub-Saharan Africans, Australian

Aboriginals, Mongolians, Polynesians, Micronesians, Indonesians and native Americans, not just a few Jews. He would also have exhibited a knowledge of something outside of the Iron Age Middle East.

Fourthly, I would not spend my time hiding, refusing to give any tangible evidence of my existence, and then punish those who are smart enough to draw the natural conclusion that I do not exist by burning

them forever. That would make no sense to me, given that I am the one who elected to withhold all evidence of my existence in the first place.

Fifthly, in the same vein, I would not make about 5% of the human population gay, then punish them for being that way. In fact, I wouldn’t care about how humans have $ex at all, given that I created all of the

millions of millions of species on the planet, all of whom are furiously reproducing all the time. Human $ex would be of no interest to me, given that I can create Universes. Has it ever occurred to you that your

obsession with making rules around human $ex is an entirely human affair?

Sixth, I would have smited all traditional Catholics, (and evangelicals and fundamentalists) long before this. You people drive me nuts. You are so small minded and yet you speak with such false authority.

Many of you still believe in the talking snake nonsense from Genesis. I would kill all of you for that alone and burn you for an afternoon (burning forever is way too barbaric even for me to contemplate).

Seventh, the whole idea of members of one species on one planet surviving their own physical deaths to “be with me” is utter, mind-numbing nonsense. Grow up. You will die. Get over it. I did. Hell, at least

you had a life. I never even existed in the first place.

Eighth, I do not read your minds, or “hear your prayers” as you euphemistically call it. There are 7 billion of you. Even if only 10% prayed once a day, that is 700,000,000 prayers. This works out at 8,000

prayers a second – every second of every day. Meanwhile I have to process the 100,000 of you who die every day between heaven and hell. Dwell on the sheer absurdity of that for a moment.

Ninthly, had I existed, do you really think my representation on Earth would have such a history of corruption, retardation of science, financial misdeeds, political intrigue, outright criminal behavior and $exual

misconduct, including pedophilia, as the Vatican does. I mean, come on! As a CEO, I would be fired for allowing my organization to run amok century after century.

Finally, the only reason you even consider believing in me is because of where you were born. Had you been born in India, you would likely believe in the Hindu gods, if born in Tibet, you would be a

Buddhist. Every culture that has ever existed has had its own god(s) and they always seem to favor that particular culture, its hopes, dreams and prejudices. What, do you think we all exist? If not, why only

yours?

Look, let’s be honest with ourselves. There is no god. Believing in me was fine when you thought the World was young, flat and simple. Now we know how enormous, old and complex the Universe is.

Move on – get over me. I did.

God

September 1, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
  8. Colin

One question nicely epitomizes the harm religion does.

What is the only thing capable of making 40% of the country fvcking stupid enough to think the entire Universe began less than 10,000 years ago with one man, one woman and a talking snake:

(i) paleontology

(ii) archeology

(iii) biology; or

(iv) religion

September 1, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
  9. TG

Do the churches of Christendom, Muslims and Jews all worship the same God ? The answer is no. The Jews were descendants of Abraham (Gen 12:6, 7; Matt 3:9), but the churches of Christendom are supposedly derived from Jesus, and Muslims through Muhammad (570-632 C.E.), who claimed to be an Ishmaelite desendant of Abraham.

The churches of Christendom worship, for the most part, a trinitarian God, which Muslims reject as well as Jews.(Deut 6:4; Mark 12:29) A Qur’ānic commentary states: “The People of the Book went wrong: The Jews in breaking their Covenant, and slandering Mary and Jesus . . . and the Christians in raising Jesus the Apostle to equality with God” by means of the Trinity doctrine.—Surah 4:153-176, AYA (The Holy Qur-an, translation by Abdullah Yusuf Ali (1934)

Muslims worship Allah, a word that is a contraction of Al-Ilah, Arabic words meaning “The God" (It appears in the Qur’ān some 2,700 times). The churches of Christendom as well as the Jews also worship a nameless God, calling him just God or "the Lord" or "the Lord God", the Jews just writing God as G-d.

However, true Christians worship the God of Abraham – Jehovah. In speaking with Melchizedek, he said to him: "I do lift up my hand in an oath to Jehovah the Most High God, Producer of heaven and earth."(Gen 14:22) This personal name of God is found in the original Hebrew and Greek over 7,000 times. Later, Abraham asked: "Sovereign Lord Jehovah, what will you give me, seeing that I am going childless and the one who will possess my house is a man of Damascus, Eliezer ?"(Gen 15:2) Hence, Abraham worshiped Jehovah God.

Genuine Christians deeply appreciate Revelation 4:11, that says: "You are worthy, Jehovah, even our God, to receive the glory and the honor and the power, because you created all things, and because of your will they existed and were created."(New World Translation)

September 1, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
    • Elena

You cant debate atheist with the Bible, you have to do it with scientific logic, anyways they still will insult you, will punch you and if it was possible they will through you to the lions! because that is all they know to do! they will never debate with you in a civilized intelligent and respectful manner.

September 1, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
      • Colin

Will we ever "throw" anybody to the lions?

September 1, 2013 at 1:38 pm |
      • MagicPanties

Yes, we will insult you, Elena, preferably with humor.

I also insult grownups that still believe in Santa Claus, which I must assume you also believe in.

September 1, 2013 at 1:42 pm |
      • Will

Elena, you don't get it. TG is insulting you too. TG is a Jehovah's Witness and he thinks everyone, especially "false" Christians like you, are beneath him. And that's the utter ridiculousness of religion. Even people who are 96, 97, 98% in agreement like you and TG will still fight and hate each other over tiny little doctrinary and theological differences. You and TG will throw each other to the lions. The rest of us will just make fun of you and enjoy the side show

September 1, 2013 at 1:53 pm |
    • Will

Ah, I was waiting for a JW to sound off on this and make my point for me. Only the most evil of evil people (i.e. JWs and similar fundamentalists) even think it is possible to believe in different gods. There is one God. Everyone agrees on this. If there is only one God, anyone who worships God at all is worshiping THE God. There fore is you somehow believe otherwise, you are a) a polytheist, b) think that God doesn't listen to anyone who is not a JW (I know you sick freaks think this) or c) that people who worship God in the "wrong" way are secretly and unbeknownst to them worshiping Satan (I know you sick freaks think this too). The tortured logic that they force down your throats in the kingdom hall to get you to believe this is so twisted that you have to be insane for all intents and purposes to follow it. And what are you even doing on CNN.com? If the elders caught you on an unapproved worldly website, they'd disfellowship you on the spot. Leave this site immediately before you do some unapproved learning....

September 1, 2013 at 1:48 pm |
      • Richard Cranium

"There is one God. Everyone agrees on this"
        False. Many religions are polytheistic, some that you would call religions do not have any "gods" and many believe that all gods are creations of men.

September 1, 2013 at 1:52 pm |
  10. MagicPanties

If you never hear "the word of god" and so have no opportunity to believe, but you live a good life then surely when you die a benevolent god would accept you in heaven, right?

But... the world's religions claim that if you do hear "the word of god" but choose not to accept, then you get tortured for eternity.
    Therefore, it is clearly better for all if there is no religion.

Stop spreading "the word of god" as you are unwittingly condemning millions to hell.

Oh, wait... I forgot, mustn't use any logic when discussing religious beliefs. My bad.

September 1, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
  11. Elena

So, now scientist say that two branes, go figure what those brains are or look like, collided and voila, created the universe we live in.
    So question to atheist do you BELIEVE that and how does that fit with the Big Bang theory?

September 1, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
    • Dick Wiggler

LOL, that's not what science says

September 1, 2013 at 1:34 pm |
      • Elena

ohh no? so what is it that they say then?

September 1, 2013 at 1:37 pm |
    • MagicPanties

You aren't making any sense.

But... pretty much any other theory is better than:
      – god creates world in a week, puts dinosaur fossils all over earth to test our faith
      – god impregnates human woman
      – the baby is also god
      – god grows up, gets himself killed to "atone" for all the sins made possible in the world He created
      – god rises from dead
      – god is never heard from again, but lots of people "speak for him"

Yep, why would anyone have trouble believing that?

September 1, 2013 at 1:39 pm |
      • Rebbe Bupkis

Wait. So, God impregnated Mary and THEN was born of her? So according to you, Jesus was a mother****er? Holy Oedipal complex, Batman!

September 1, 2013 at 2:41 pm |
  12. Lord Toronaga

I didn't know that Judaism was a major religion.

September 1, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
    • rafael

History. Try it sometime.

September 1, 2013 at 1:35 pm |
      • Rebbe Bupkis

Oh... that was good. That was VERY good.

September 1, 2013 at 2:46 pm |
  13. Brad

YES THEY ALL DO SERVE THE SAME god WHO IS IDENTIFIED AT 2CORINTHIANS 4:4 IIN THE BIBLE

September 1, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
    • Time For You To Grow Up...

Except that the Bible is nothing more than a poorly written, fictional storybook... Next??

September 1, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
    • Brad

What did the verse say and like all don't understand the bible it is hiligthed in the verse just before it. 2 Corinthians 4:3

September 1, 2013 at 1:44 pm |
      • Time For You To Grow Up...

Fiction is fiction... No matter how many verses you point out.

September 1, 2013 at 1:50 pm |
  14. Captain

Be wary of those 'gods' that expect you to worship them. How insecure are they?
    According to Sumerian texts, Jehovah was one of the ets visiting at the time. He was a warlord. The peoples loved his sister ____ and he despied that. So heforeced people to do horrible things and if not they were punished. Who else would keep a tribe of people wandering in a desert for 40 years, when it is only a 3 hour drive from Egypt to Palestine. When they finally arrived, they were so angry, that they slaughtered the other tribes and took over their lands. Think about it.

September 1, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
  15. John Blackadder

You gotta be kidding. Even the Christians don't worship the same God. Catholics and Protestants, the God of Love and the God of Vengeance. They are all there. Depends on your sect. And don't get started on the Trinity!
    God is so much a projection of the prophet du jour that the debate is meaningless.

September 1, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
  16. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

September 1, 2013 at 1:30 pm |
    • Time For You To Grow Up...

No one else can hear the voices in your head...

September 1, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
  17. Rainer Braendlein

would rather ask: "How can we worship God?"

A simple consideration:

Everybody of us wants to be treated kindly independent from his color, nationality, social status, belief, race, gender, etc.. To put it briefly: We require our fellow human beings to love us at any rate, on every condition, at least we would consider love and kindness as the most favourable behaviour of our neighbour. This consideration is independent from any divine revelation and according to our current conditions or reality.

Our usual experience is that we are not loved by everybody or only by a few people. Some people condemn us because they regard our performance as to low. Some do not like our color, some do not like our belief, etc..

Yet, objectively seen these things are no valid reason to condemn somebody. I am not responsible for my color, my perfomance, maybe my belief, etc.. Yet, though people know this, they condemn, and hate nevertheless.

What is the reason why we always seek a reason for hating our neighbour instead of loving him?

We bear in us an evil germ which makes us hating other people.

Has ever somebody acted against that law of hate?

Yes, it was Jesus Christ. Once he met a woman at a well, a Samariatarian woman, and she gave him no water because he was a Jew. Jesus forgave her immediately, and offered to her Water of Eternal Live.

The same Jesus Christ can give us the Spirit of Love today. Aint that the most favourable religion?

We worship God when we give our bodies as a living sacrifice that means when we overcome the selfishness of our body, and love God and our neighbour in Jesus releasing power.

The belief which leads us to unbiased love must be the real faith.

September 1, 2013 at 1:30 pm |
  18. el flaco

Christians worship hundreds of gods.

It is very obvious that Catholics and Mormons do not worship the same god. Neither do Southern Baptists and Coptic Christians.

They may have the same name (Yahweh), but they are not the same god.

It's like knowing an hundred men named John Smith. The same name is applied to many different individuals.

September 1, 2013 at 1:30 pm |
  19. Honestly though...

Hey guys,

I'm only 17 and I realize how idiotic religion is. It makes me sad how little people actually think for themselves. People were force fed religion from a very young age, whether it was to go to a Mosque, Temple or Church, everyone was forced to sit and listen to someone talk about something no one understands until you began to believe it because of how much it was repeated. If you speak lies long enough, you lose where the truth began. Nothing really made sense but a few things were slightly believable, and the things that were way off base they told you that you just had to have faith. Just blindly follow what I'm saying or you will be looked down upon by all members of this religion. Say what you want, I'm too young, I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm not smart, but I'd like to let you know none of that is true. I am probably more learned than most of you. I also have the ability to step back and look at the world with an unbiased eye. I was born in America to two parents who followed Hinduism but because we moved here, my parents taught me their religion but it didn't really stick with me. I have more of a critical eye than most people.
    Where is your God, or all of your Gods now? Where have they been? Isn't it weird how when religion was being written all of these Godly appearances had been made but we've had a stand still of about 2000 years? Where'd God go? Do you want to know what religion was for? It was a refuge for the weak and scared. Something to believe in while times were difficult because it's easier to get through something when you have hope. Religion was designed to give people hope in a dark time. Why do kids make up imaginary friends? So that there is someone to help them through there tough time. So that's what these great writers of religion did too. They made someone up to get people through hard times.
    It was also created to explain the things we didn't know or understand. Nuclear Fusion and Fission occurs constantly in our sun, why didn't religion explain that? Because they didn't know about that to make up a story. If there really was a God, why didn't he let us know about a mold that kills bacteria? He created it didn't he? Sickness was considered a punishment from God, not what it actually is. Want to know why sickness was thought to be an act from god? Because no one understood what it was.
    So i guess what I'm really trying to say, go ahead and believe in your Imaginary Friend. Stay stuck in the mindset of those that lived 2000 years ago. Go ahead and consider science an evil, because the moment you accept bacteria, viruses, medicine, and how sickness actually works, you disprove God, or at least an aspect of God. Honestly though...

September 1, 2013 at 1:29 pm |
    • Dick Wiggler

Good for you, kid. I hope your entire generation rejects foolishness, and we can be done with it by the next century.

September 1, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
    • Rebbe Bupkis

Yes, good for you. Unfortunately your choice to reject this foolishness means spending all of eternity in many Hells (Christian, Islamic, etc.) in utter agony and regret, but I'll be there with you. 😉

September 1, 2013 at 2:36 pm |
  20. EvilCCP

As we had stone -age period of time. We are at God-age time now.
    The evolution keeps on going for sure.

September 1, 2013 at 1:29 pm |